open/close all folders
Takeru/Red Mask | Actor: Ryosuke Kaizu
The leader of the Maskmen, the first to be spotted by Commander Sugata. Expert in Karate and is a Formula One race driver. He met and fell in love with a girl named Mio, and even when she is revealed as Princess Iyal, he still clings to be reunited, giving him strength to push on. Used to be an extremely bratty kid, but after meeting his grown-up self, he matured up. Though he's basically The Hero, he's much more temperamental.
- The Ace: He is actually one, but in the past, he's anything but. He'd still hide that non-Ace past because it's embarrassing.
- Badass Driver: He's a Formula One racer, thus instantly qualifies him as one.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Like the rest of his team, he's specialized in hand-to-hand combat.
- Bratty Half-Pint: When he was a kid.
- Cool Sword: Masky Blade
- Determinator: This is his main quality, which is why Sugata got him as a Maskman.
- Expy: Closer to the Shout-Out to the Robot Romance Trilogy, Takeru draws similarities with Kazuya Ryuuzaki the most, since he is the male Star-Crossed Lovers, runs on The Power of Love, and is a karateka.
- Finishing Move: Masky Crash
- Episode 6 has him utilizing the all powerful God Hand technique.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Is the one who'd do this to his friends who needs it.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Gets his own buggy (Spin Cruiser) and has two powerful Finishing Moves he can use on his own.
- The Leader: Designated as such by Subata.
- My Future Self and Me: It's only after meeting his future, Maskman self that little Takeru stopped being a brat.
- Old Shame: An in-universe example. His Bratty Half-Pint past is something he didn't want to reveal to his friends, so he hid the facts about his bratty self.
- Signature Move: Laser Arrow
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Mio/Iyal.
Kenta/Black Mask | Actor: Kouichi Kusakari
The sub-leader and a Kobudo expert. More laid back than Takeru and likes chasing girls (mostly with no avail or luck, either he backs down, the girl is oblivious, or dies). Has an Old Master.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Learns one.
- Cowardly Lion: Was turned into one at a point, but he gets better.
- Epic Flail: One part of Masky Rod.
- Handsome Lech
- Simple Staff: The other part of Masky Rod.
- Super Strength: Shown in ep 13 where in his civilian identity throws around the other Maskmen like ragdolls of course the Maskmen were faking the fight to draw out a spy, but it was still impressive
- The Lancer: The appointed second-in command of the team.
- The Smart Guy
Akira/Blue Mask | Actor: Issei Hirota
The youngest of the team, Chinese Boxing and swordplaying expert and the one to crack jokes, most of the time. He left his mother to train (actually was drafted to the Maskman force) and strives to make his mother proud by training hard.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: At one point, he's possessed by a monster, turning him into the fencer Unas and proceeds to OWN the Maskmen, HARD. He gets better, of course.
- Child Prodigy: Was recognized by Sugata as one in the ways of martial arts, which is why he was chosen for Maskman.
- Dual Tonfas: Masky Tonfas
- Heroes Prefer Swords: He's an expert at swordplay...but his individual weapon is tonfa.
- Just a Kid: He really doesn't like being treated as a kid at first, even if he is only sixteen.
- Kid-Appeal Character: He's the youngest of the team and most expressive with his emotions.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Apples
Haruka/Yellow Mask | Actress: Yuki Nagata
A Ninja (and damn proud of it). Ever since she's a child, she's raised without enjoying girly things (like dolls). As such, she has a hidden sensitive spot for girly things. She's best buds with Momoko.
- Battle Tops: Masky Rotor.
- The Big Girl: The more obvious Action Girl, that is.
- Cuteness Proximity: Raised as a ninja, Haruka was forbidden to enjoy anything cute or girly, thus explaining her soft spot on cute things despite her tomboyish exterior.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Yellow Mask Kage Bunshinnote
- Expy: She's basically a Gender Flip version of Ryu Hoshikawa since both of them came from the line of ninjas.
- Besides her ninja background, Haruka is the Sentai equivalent of Megumi Oka for having the same color scheme.
- Killer Yo Yo: Again, Masky Rotor.
- Proud Ninja Girl: Is prideful of her ninja lineage.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Momoko's Girly Girl.
Momoko/Pink Mask | Actress: Kanako Maeda
A gentle hearted girl who is really kind to children and teaches martial arts in her free time. She's an expert in Tai Chi Quan and tends to get very emotional in things she does. Best buds with Haruka.
- The Chick: Less 'chick' than most others, since this is Maskman, Sentai of Charles Atlas Superpower, she can be as strong as you can get.
- Friend to All Children
- Heroic RRoD: In the episode where she fought against a monster untransformed for so long, it drained her fatigue that after firing the Shot Bomber, she collapsed, reverts back to human form and rendered unconscious.
- Determinator: All because she made a promise about teaching her students about making the impossible possible as long as one pushes their efforts to their limits, she absolutely refuses to transform and to her credit, she actually punches a hole through the Monster of the Week's chest untransformed and even after she transformed, she still wrecks the monster hard enough so it can be shot with Shot Bomber. However...
- Unwitting Pawn: That's exactly what Anagmas was counting on her, resulting the fall of Great Five. To her comfort, she still saved her students and their spirits.
- Innocent Flower Girl: Her status as The Chick couple with her dear "Carol Love" flowers.
- Lady of War: It's Tai Chi Quan, the martial arts for Lady of War.
- Mythology Gag: Is the Pink Ranger, uses Ribbon as her weapon, and part of her name is 'Momo'. We've had this concept before.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Haruka's Tomboy.
- Whip It Good: Masky Ribbon
Commander Sanjurou Sugata
- Levitating Lotus Position: Demonstrates it in the theme song and to the Maskmen.
- Old Master: Is well versed in Aura Power and older than the rest of the team.
- Expy: The 'Erika' to Takeru's "Kazuya".
- Nice Shoes: When she came to the surface world, she didn't have shoes. After saving her life, Takeru noticed the barefooted Mio and bought a pair of red shoes, which are used to sumbolize their love.
- Rebellious Princess: Turned against Tube after falling in love with Takeru.
- Royal Blood: Princess of the Tube Empire.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Takeru/ Red Mask.
- Stuffed in the Fridge: Quite literally, despite not dying.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to her "brother" Igam.
Ryo Asuka/X1 Mask | Actor: Shinji HigashiA One-Shot Character who briefly joined the Maskman team as its sixth member.
- Classical Anti-Hero: He's prototype Maskman who became doubtful of his duties due the loss of his girlfriend from a Tube attack.
- Deadly Gas: His Gas Buckle releases a dangerous toxic cloud.
- Poisonous Person: Again, Gas Buckle.
- Shock and Awe: Lightning Attack
- Sixth Ranger: Predating Burai; he coincidentally has the same color.
- Super Prototype: His suit differs from the other Maskmen in appearance and has different attack in its arsenal. Notably it also doesn't need a Transformation Trinket.
Underground Empire Tube
Emperor Zeba/Lethal Doggler II
- Big Bad: Zeba is responsible for the transformation on the once peaceful Tube empire into a dark militaristic kingdom in order to invade the surface world.
- Eldritch Abomination: He turns out to be the spawn of an earlier Eldritch Abomination, Lethal Doggler, destroyed by the original Tube royal family. Driven both by hatred against humans on both sides of the crust as well as his ancestor's lust for domination, he wiped out all of the Tube royal family save Ial and Igam, whom he used as his pawns.
- One-Winged Angel: His true form, Lethal Doggler II
- Technicolor Death: Bleeds red energy like other Ground Beasts then melts into energy which forms into a face which float up in the sky and explodes four times.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: When his mother gets killed by a Monster of the Week, it allowed him to gain enough courage to slay the monster and gain his own Mid-Season Upgrade.
- Combat Stilettos: They're there, but more for making Igam taller than to be sexy.
- Dragon Knight: Their armor has a draconic motif.
- The Evil Prince: As a counterpart to Iyal's desire for peace.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Is not a prince but actually a princess.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Iyal/Mio
- Warrior Prince: Has no qualms with participating in battle.
- Woman in White: In the finale, when she became a monk/nun to pay for her sins
- Anti-Villain: Type I. Fu-Min's loyalty to Igam is extreme, but genuine that she sometimes showed even compassion to the frozen Ial. She also pretty much sacrificed her life so Igam can live and redeem herself.
- Dark Action Girl
- Ninja Maid: To Igam
- Bat Out of Hell: Resembles an overweight bat.
- Evil Genius: Has a vast knowledge of Tube's background prior to Zeba's Hostile Takeover.
Thief Knight Kiros
- Knight in Shining Armor: Subverted. While he does save girls like one occasionally, his motto is "I always get what I want", which horribly clashes with the meaning of the trope.
- Man in White
- The Rival: Of Takeru for Ial's affaction.
- Wild Card: He only works for Tube so he could have Ial for himself instead of supporting Zeba's cause.
- Catchphrase: "Good grief..."
- Damaged Soul: Creatures he revives will always be snarling, rampaging beasts, even if they were capable of speech beforehand.