All spoilers regarding the first four story arcs (volumes 1-20) are unmarked. Examples pertaining to the fifth story arc and Shin High School D×D can be spoiler tagged if necessary.
This page details the supporting characters affiliated with the Devil faction in High School DXD.
One of the three Main Factions alongside the Angels and Fallen Angels, the Devils consist of the 72 Pillars of High-Class Devil noble families, the Extra Demons and the countless armies under them. When the original Four Great Satans died in the Great War, their descendants were met with opposition by other devils in wanting to continue the Great War and a civil war erupted. The original descendants lost and a new government was placed with Sirzechs Gremory, Serafall Sitri, Ajuka Astaroth and Falbium Glasya-Labolas becoming the new Four Great Satans.
The Four Great Satans
- Asskicking Pose: As the Satan Rangers.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Sirzechs and Ajuka earned their position specifically because they were too powerful to reasonably settle for anything less.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: They've all earned their credentials to be the Four Lords of Hell by kicking ass and taking names.
- Badass in Charge: Everyone of them, but the most notable one is Sirzechs.
- Barrier Maiden: Volume 21 and EX reveal that, except :Ajuka, the Satans and their peerage (minus their Queen) along with the rest of the Alliance leaders are forced to seal Trihexa and suppress its power inside that seal for God knows how many years, but at the most at least ten thousand.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Issei even wonders how all four of them can even run Hell's affairs.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sirzechs (Choleric), Serafall (Sanguine), Ajuka (Melancholic), and Falbium (Phlegmatic).
- Heroic Sacrifice: A non-lethal example, but Sirzechs, Serafall and Falbium and their peerages minus their Queens, as well as the rest of the Alliance leaders use their powers to trap both Trihexa and themselves into the Isolation Barrier Field, halting Trihexa's rampage.
- Large Ham: When acting as the Satan Rangers but especially Sirzechs and Serafall.
- Last of His Kind: A non-fatal example. As of the end of volume 21, Ajuka seems to be the only member of the current Four Great Satans left.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: All of their last names are shared by the seventy-two demons of the Goetia.
- Paper-Thin Disguise/Master of Disguise: Issei's not fooled with how all five of them are acting as the Satan Rangers, so he's the former. Rias genuinely doesn't know that those five are her brother, her sister-in-law, and the other three lords of Hell.
- Satan: Its only in Title since they are not the original Satans.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: The original four Great Satans died in the Great War along with God, the four current Satans are just their replacements. With Ajuka the only Satan left after the others seal themselves with Trihexa and the plans to eventually create the a Seven Satan system as of Volume 21 which has become a reality by the EX timeline, this is no longer the case.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: All four plus Grayfia in a Sentai suit shot down an evil spirit. It tore the the entire sky and ripped open a new dimension.
Sirzechs Lucifer, born Sirzechs Gremory
- Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese) and Alex Organ (English)
The son of Zeoticus and Venelana Gremory and older brother of Rias Gremory. He is one of the Four Great Satans, bearing Lucifer's name.
- Action Dad: Being a father to Millicas hasn't slowed him down when fighting with devils as well as dragons.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: When he appears in the anime. Guy's got style.
- Ambadassador: He's known for his diplomacy skills, like negotiating a peace treaty between the Three Factions with Azazel, and as a powerful warrior who can go toe-to-toe with his rivals.
- Badass Baritone: Provided by both Junichi Suwabe and Alex Organ.
- Badass Pacifist: Would prefer peace talks instead of fighting, but if push comes to shove, he will vaporize you.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He may be a nice person and a Badass Pacifist to boot, but if you push him far enough, he will be prepared to turn you into dust.
- Big Damn Heroes: At the end of Volume 2, he organizes an Engagement Challenge for Issei to beat Riser.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: The boke to Grafyia's tsukkomi.
- Cassandra Truth: Grayfia refutes Sirzechs's statements that she's his wife, but it later turns out to be true.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Considering he's the one who made the suggestion to Issei to use "Gift" on Rias's breasts...
- Dating Catwoman: Back in the day, him and Grayfia were enemies because he was from the new generation devils and Grayfia was a servant of the original Lucifer.
- Eldritch Abomination: What the true form of his Power of Destruction looks like. This was enough to scare Hades, the god of the dead.
- Famed In-Story: His romance with Grayfia became a popular story among other Devils to the point where it was made into a film.
- Happily Married: He has a loving relationship with Grayfia ever since they met during the conflict between the Old Satan and Anti Satan Factions.
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: Really looks like a male version of Rias. Of course, that's where the similarity ends.
- Insane Troll Logic: He once spent what is implied to be several days (if not a few weeks) straight stalking Issei as Satan Red in an attempt to take back Millicas's admiration from Oppai Dragon. It is exactly as insane as it sounds.
- Lineage Comes from the Father: Subverted. While he inherits Zeoticus's red hair and blue-green eyes like his sister, he also inherits Venelana's Power of Destruction.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: He has long hair and is a handsome guy.
- Nice Guy: He's quite mellow, to say the least.
- The One That Got Away: He seals himself and his peerage to prevent Trihexa from wreaking havoc, leaving Grayfia whom he does not want to get involved with the monster.
- One-Winged Angel: He can transform into a human-shaped version of his Power of Destruction, called the Human-Shaped Aura of Destruction.
- Papa Wolf: Harm Millicas in his presence and you're dead.
- Promoted Fanboy: In-Universe. He wanted to compose his own music for a long time. Issei's show, "The Gropin' Dragon", made it possible for him.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He's reasonable enough to listen to his own family, have Issei and Riser do an Engagement Challenge and also help the Three Factions negotiate a peace treaty.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Grayfia's blue.
- The Rival: According to Serafall, him and Ajuka were rivals back in the day to the point they even competed for the title of Lucifer.
- Shapeshifter: He can change into a cat if he wishes. This is how he met and made Souji his Knight.
- Shipper on Deck: He fervidly ships Issei with Rias.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Sizechs' name is derived from two characters from the Gundam franchise: Char Aznable from Mobile Suit Gundam and Zechs Merquise from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.
- Spanner Inthe Works: Sirzechs is the one who is responsible for having Issei infiltrate Riser's engagement party and challenge him to a duel.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Sirzechs greatly resembles his father and sister, right down to the eyes and the red hair.
- Switching P.O.V.: The light novel only shows us the conversation between Lord Phenex and Lord Gremory after Issei defeats Riser while Sirzechs went away. In the anime, it shows his and Grayfia's perspective on the reason why he handed out the griffon to Issei and his thoughts on the Welsh Dragon joining the devil faction.
- Tranquil Fury: You do not want to piss this guy off at all.
Serafall Leviathan, born Serafall Sitri
The older sister of Sona and also one of the Four Great Satans. She's also in charge of foreign affairs.
- Action Girl: Her reaction towards Bandersnatches invading the Underworld? "A spear that can kill a god? Screw that, I'm going!" And she freezes a Bandersnatch right after that.
- Ambadassador: Along with Sirzechs, she's also known for her negotiating skills, as shown when she speaks with the youkai in volume 9.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is a very nice girl, but if you push her far enough, she will fight you to the death.
- Big Sister Instinct: Threaten or harm Sona near her and she will murder them.
- Cosplay: She poses as a Magical Girl.
- Cry Cute: In one of the BorN Specials, she gets this look after Sona refuses to help her try on a blue Cosplay outfit, though it doesn't last long.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Not invited to the school observation? She'll just wage war on Heaven to blow off steam.
- Genki Girl: Fits this to a T, perpetually cosplaying as a Magical Girl.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Her introduction in the anime has her saying she wouldn't mind having sweet hot sex with Sona, her sister. In her own words, some Onee-sama! So-chan! yuri yuri action.
- Girlish Pigtails: Goes along with the Magical Girl outfit, and shows her immaturity in comparison to her younger sister.
- The Glomp: She does this towards her younger sister Sona.
- An Ice Person: Her specialty amongst her water-manipulating family.
- Incest Subtext: If you can call Serafall proclaiming reuniting and embracing in a "yuri" way subtle. Especially when done in school and in front of others.
- Making a Splash: Just like her sister, she can manipulate her water powers.
- Martial Pacifist: She would prefer talking out of a situation rather than fighting if it's necessary.
- Person of Mass Destruction: According to Sona, a simple wave of her staff can destroy Japan four times over.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She has a very reasonable judgment and is willing to listen to her sister as well as her fellow devils.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Serafall's name is derived from four characters from the Gundam franchise: Sayla Mass and Lalah Sune from Mobile Suit Gundam, Four Murasame from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Roux Louka from Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Is a lot more cheerful compared to Sona.
- Vapor Wear: Doesn't wear a bra under her shirt.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A. She is only a Tsundere away from getting Grade S!
Ajuka Beelzebub, born Ajuka Astaroth
- Voiced by: Junichi Yanagita (Japanese) and Jerry Jewell (English)
The Genius who laid the foundations of the Rating Game and Evil Piece systems. Also likes to give out a mysterious feeling because it's cool.
- Good with Numbers: So good that most of his devil powers are result of his calculations.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Sirzechs.
- Mad Scientist: Created the Evil Pieces system, and modifies it For the Lulz. This was likely why he was the only Satan who didn't seal himself to stop Trihexa, as otherwise this could have caused problems for Devils as a whole.
- Mistaken for Terrorist: He's accused of being one of the terrorists in Volume 6 despite the fact that he was also attacked. Might have something to do with one of the members of his former house working for the Khaos Brigade.
- The Rival: According to Serafall, him and Sirzechs were rivals back in the day.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Ajuka's name is derived from three characters from the Gundam franchise: Amuro Ray from Mobile Suit Gundam, Judau Ashta from Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ and Kamille Bidan from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.
Falbium Asmodeus, born Falbium Glasya-Labolas
Considered as the military genius but hardly does any work and just passes his work to either his servants or to other people.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Passes off his work to his servants. Which is ironic, considering Asmodeus is the patron demon of lust
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Falbium's name is derived from two machines from the Gundam franchise: G-Falcon of After War Gundam X and Dendrobium, GP 03 of Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.
The Gremory Family
Tropes relating to all of them:
- Badass Family: Zeoticus and Venelana are two of the strongest devils of their respective clans. Their son Sirzechs is one of the Four Great Satans and their daughter Rias is the leader of the Occult Research Club and serves as King in her peerage. Sirzechs's son Millicas is a young devil will eventually succeed his grandfather as head of the Gremory Family.
- It Runs in the Family: Sirzechs and Rias inherited Venelana's Power of Destruction. The Gremory Family is also known for being extremely affectionate toward their servants.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Their last name, Gremory, is shared by the seventy-two demons of the Goetia.
- Red Is Heroic: All of the Gremory family members sport red hair, except for Venelana and Grayfia.
- Something About a Rose: The clan's symbol consists of a red rose encased in a circle.
Duke Zeoticus Gremory
- Voiced by: Show Hayami (Japanese) and Andrew Chandler (English)
The father of Rias Gremory and Sirzechs Lucifer, husband of Venelana Gremory, and paternal grandfather of Millicas Gremory, Zeoticus is the head of his family.
- The Archmage: Not in the level of Azi Dahaka (which was appropriately feared by the Gremorys in general), Zeoticus is said to be able to use many different forms of magic.
- Badass Baritone: Provided by both Show Hayami in Japanese and Andrew Chandler in English.
- Badass Beard: He sports a small red goatee on his chin.
- Chef of Iron: Zeoticus can cook very well.
- Easily Forgiven: Riser's father forgives him for having Rias break off her engagement.
- Good Parents: He loves Sirzechs and Rias very much, given his and Sirzechs's reactions to Rias as an infant and how much Zeoticus cares for her well-being.
- Happily Married: He is happily married to his wife Venelana.
- Henpecked Husband: Venelana can strike absolute fear into to him when he does something that angers her.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Zeoticus has one of these moments when he realizes that he went too far in forcing his beliefs onto Rias such as having an Arranged Marriage between her and Riser, as shown when he apologizes to the latter's father for nullifying the engagement.
- Nice Guy: He's one of the friendliest devils that you would ever want to meet.
- Only One Name: Was only referred to as Lord Gremory until his first name was revealed in Volume 21.
- Perma-Stubble: His chin has a small red beard.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He's willing to listen to his children's suggestions such as Rias advising him not to include too many maids when renovating Issei's house as well as letting her choose Issei as her fiancé.
- Red Is Heroic: Like his children, Zeoticus has red hair.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Ichiei Ishibumi named Zeoticus after Zeon Daikun from Mobile Suit Gundam and Marticus Rex from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.
Duchess Venelana Gremory, née Bael
- Voiced by: Mari Shiraishi (Japanese, 2015), Mikako Takahashi (Japanese, 2018-present) and Monica Rial (English)
Venelana is the wife of Duke Zeoticus Gremory, mother of Rias Gremory and Sirzechs Lucifer, and paternal grandmother of Millicas Gremory who comes from the House of Bael. She is also known by her sobriquet, Brunette Madame the Extinct.
- Adaptational Curves: In Hero, her breasts are conspicuously larger.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She makes an appearance (albeit with unspoken lines) in chapter 21 of the manga. She doesn't make her actual appearance until Volume 5 of the novels.
- Generation Xerox: She looks just like her daughter except with shorter brown hair.
- Good Parents: She is a loving mother to Sirzechs and Rias, as well as a grandmother to Millicas Gremory.
- Happily Married: She and Zeoticus are content to live together as devils.
- Meaningful Name: Venelana appears to come from "veneratus", which means "revered" in Latin. She's highly regarded as a powerful fighter and duchess of her family.
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: Venelana's looks can be easily mistaken for Rias's sister, which Issei initially assumed was the case.
- Older Than They Look: Even though she is much older than her daughter (who is 17 at the beginning of the series), Venelana is still quite an attractive lady.
- Purple Is Powerful: She is the strongest devil in her clan and her eyes are purple.
- Red Baron: She is known to everyone as "Brunette Madame the Extinct."
- Really 700 Years Old: Although she looks like a young lady, Venelana is actually is over 100 years old.
- Shipper on Deck: She ships her daughter to Issei.
- Spell My Name with an "S": In Funimation's dub of the anime, her first name is rendered as Venerana.
- Top Wife: To really set in the Generation Xerox, she is this to her husband's unseen harem. She cemented her position by not only being the formal wife of Zeoticus, but also being the only one to have children.
- Woman in White: She is usually seen wearing a white dress.
- World's Best Warrior: She was considered the strongest devil in the House of Bael.
Princess Rias Gremory
- Voiced by: Ari Ozawa (Japanese) and Mikaela Krantz (English)
The son of Sirzechs Lucifer and Grayfia Lucifuge, grandson of Zeoticus and Venelana Gremory and nephew of Rias Gremory, Millicas serves as the family's next-in-line.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In BorN, his eye color is changed to blue to match Rias's eye color. His eye color does eventually change back to red by the time Hero rolls around.
- Brutal Honesty: Flat-out admitting to Sirzechs that he prefers the Oppai Dragon over Satan Red? Ouch.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red hair and red eyes.
- Disappeared Dad: His father vanished when he sealed himself inside the Isolation Barrier Field to fight Trihexa.
- Establishing Character Moment: Millicas is introduced reuniting with Rias and introducing himself to the group, before running to his grandmother Venelana afterwards.
- Foregone Conclusion: He becomes the head of the Gremory clan by the time EX rolls around.
- Future Badass: He becomes a Super Devil in the future along with succeding the Gremory House.
- Like Father, Like Son: Like his father and grandfather before him, he has red hair. Like his grandmother, his mother and his aunt, Millicas inherits her Power of Destruction.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Has enough demonic power to give even Issei and Kiba a run for their money. Well, at least until they stopped holding back.
- Royalty Super Power: Inherited his father and aunt's Power of Destruction.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Millicas' name is derived from the names of two characters from the Gundam TV series, Milliardo Peacecraft of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing and Casval Rem Deikun of Mobile Suit Gundam.
- Interestingly enough, the names used for Millicas' name is the real name of the characters used for his father's.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He resembles his father Sirzechs, his grandfather Zeoticus as well as his aunt Rias.
- Someone to Remember Him By: After Sirzechs seals himself to suppress Trihexa, Millicas becomes this to Grayfia.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Gave Xenovia a long lecture on how to use her Ex-Durandal's powers (to Kiba's joy to the point of crying Manly Tears) and is even thinking about which members he wants in his peerage.
- The Wise Prince: Justified since his parents are the rulers of Hell.
- Voiced by: Saori Seto (Japanese), Krishna Smitha (English; 2013-2014) and Megan Shipman (English; 2015-present)
The head maid, Queen and wife of Sirzechs Lucifer, and mother of Millicas Gremory, Grayfia of the most powerful characters in Hell.
- Action Mom: Even after having Millicas, her motherhood hasn't slowed her down whenever she engages in battle with other devils.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her eyes, which are red in the light novels, are changed to silver in the anime to match her hair.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: She often whacks Sirzechs around when he's being immature, and he claimed that he nearly died trying to record her sleeping like he did with Rias. While Grayfia is noted to have Satan-level strength, Sirzechs is a Super Devil who can make top-tier gods wary.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Always the tsukkomi whenever Sirzechs does something outrageous.
- Braids of Action: She's a very powerful devil who wears her hair in braids.
- Cain and Abel: She's the older Abel while her younger brother Euclid is the younger Cain.
- Cool Big Sis: To Rias, the stern type.
- Cool Mask: Wears a red dragon mask as Bina Lessthan.
- The Comically Serious: Anytime she starts to appear, there will be hilarity. Must be why Issei defers to her greatly.
- Curtains Match the Window: Silver hair and silver eyes.
- Defector from Decadence: After meeting Sirzechs during the conflict between the Old Satan and Anti Satan Factions, Grayfia defects from the Old Satan Faction and eventually marries him.
- The Dreaded: She can make Sirzechs's entire peerage scared just by showing up. One of them happens to be a giant that can breathe fire! Even Sirzechs himself is afraid of getting on her bad side, despite being much more powerful.
- Establishing Character Moment: Her introductory scene is to suddenly appear at Issei's house to lecture Rias for attempting to break off her engagement to Riser. She also helps pick up Rias's clothes for her.
- Famed In-Story: Her romance with Sirzechs became a popular story among other Devils to the point where it was made into a film.
- Foreshadowing: Her In Vino Veritas moment with Issei? The one where she mentions her family? It's going to be one of the main highlights of the 14th Volume, specifically her brother.
- Game Face: When a gigantic Issei tells her that he's got a plan but needs her and the entire servants of Sirzechs's help, she puts this face on.
- Good Parents: She loves Millicas dearly even if she is Sirzechs's wife and Queen of his peerage.
- Gray Eyes: In the anime, she has gray eyes to match her hair.
- Happily Married: She marries Sirzechs after fighting the Old Satan and Anti Satan Factions.
- Heroic Safe Mode: She has not been well emotionally since Sirzech and the rest of his peerage sealed themselves within Trihexa, leaving her behind. Her reason for helping Issei as his queen for the Azazel Cup so that he can reach Maou status, as Sirzech wanted, which becomes her primary focus. She finally breaks down during her fight against Rias.
- House Wife: She's very much the maid of her husband's family.
- In Vino Veritas: In the Hot Springs short story, it is revealed her personality switches under the influence of alcohol, primarily she becomes a bit of a troublemaker.
- Lady of War: She's regarded as Satan-level in power, even considered for the title of Leviathan, and she's much more reserved than the current one.
- Meaningful Name:
- Her last name, Lucifuge, is taken from Lucifuge Rofocale, a demon who is Lucifer's right-hand man. Given her family history of serving the original Lucifer and her service to Sirzechs, the current Lucifer, it's only natural.
- The first name of her alias in the Azazel cup, "Bina" means "double" in Italian. Referring to her using a double persona.
- Meido: She is the Gremory household's maid and wears the appropriate attire for it (a French maid uniform in this case).
- Mystical White Hair: Grayfia sports silver hair.
- Not So Different: Remember when Sirzechs wants to be called "Onii-chan" by Issei and she whacks him with a paper fan? In a Hot Springs Episode, she's alright with Issei calling her "Ane (elder sister)" at private times.
- Not So Stoic: As soon as she becomes Rias's sister, she'll sternly lecture Rias for a very long time. Not to mention, she'll release an aura so powerful, everyone in the room feels like they're going to die.
- Older Alter Ego: Inverted. Using her demonic power she turned herself into what she looked like as a teenager and called herself Bina Lessthan to act as Issei's Queen for the Azazel Cup.
- Only Sane Woman: Whenever she joins in the antics of the Four Great Satans. And even then, sometimes she's weird seeing as she suggested to Rias to let Issei touch her breasts to power up.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Whips it out whenever Sirzechs says something stupid.
- Rapunzel Hair: Even without her braids, Grayfia's silver hair goes down to her back.
- Red Baron: She is known by everyone as "The Ultimate Queen".
- The Rival: To Serafall back in the day for the title of Leviathan.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Her given name comes from the Japanese names for Glaceon and Leafon.
- Statuesque Stunner: She stands at 5'10" according to official material and towers over Rias and Rossweisse.
- The Stoic: In head-maid mode. Nothing phases her even if Sirzechs does something stupid. Even Issei coming back to life as a giant garnered little more reaction than if he'd just returned home.
- Straight Woman: Pretty much the only normal person in the Gremory household (alongside Venelana) and among the Satan Rangers, to which the others set up the punchline. That is, if she isn't drunk.
- Switching P.O.V.: The light novel only shows us the conversation between Lord Phenex and Lord Gremory after Issei defeats Riser while Sirzechs and Grayfia went away. In the anime, it shows hers and Sirzechs's perspective on the reason why the latter handed out the griffin to Issei and the latter's thoughts on the Welsh Dragon joining the devil group while Grayfia notes that he's happy about it. It probably reminded them of their circumstances back then.
- The Tease: The catch? She has to be drunk.
Sirzechs Lucifer's Peerage
A Qilin who is Sirzechs's Pawn.
One of the founding members of the Shinsengumi who has been reincarnated into Sirzechs's Knight. He is also Kiba's swordmaster.
- The Mentor: He serves as one to Kiba.
Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers
Sirzechs's Bishop who knows a lot about magic.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has a dry and witty humor.
- Mr. Exposition: He often explains to his allies about various forms of magic.
- Named After Somebody Famous: He's named after the British occultist Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers.
Sirzechs's Rook which he had to use a Mutation Piece.
- Berserk Button: Really hates it when he's compared to Bahamut.
- Breath Weapon: Could have taken out Jabberwocky if it weren't for its Healing Factor.
- Worf Barrage: As a result.
- Cloning Blues: Is a clone of Surtr.
- I Owe You My Life: After being created, he couldn't control his power so he went on a rampage till Sirzechs calmed him.
- It Was a Gift: He's the one who gives Issei his familiar: a flying ship called the "Skithblathnir".
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: He's a descendant of the Norse fire giant of the same name.
A descendant of Beowulf who became Sirzechs's other Pawn due to him losing against Sirzechs.
- Butt-Monkey: He is treated as a lackey by the other members.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Considering he's supposed to be one of the strongest Pawns in the devil society...
Glowing Fish of the Deep Sea Bahamut
Sirzechs other Rook who has been mentioned in the afterword of Volume 8.
- The Ghost: So far, aside from comments of the Lucifer group who apparently was more useful than Surtr Second.
Tropes relating to them:
- Good Thing You Can Heal: The family can heal injuries almost instantaneously.
- Healing Factor: The Phenex family is able to heal themselves given their immortality.
- Hot Wings: They have flaming wings in place of bat wings like other devils.
- Meaningful Name: Marqius Phenex in the Ars Goetia is described to have the appearance of the immortal bird, Phoenix, and the Phenex Family share the same motif and abilities as the Phoenix.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Phenex shares the same name as one of the seventy-two demons of the Goetia.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Inverted. The original uses the Phenex spelling, keeping with the Ars Goetia motif of the 72 Pillars. Funimation's adaptation use the Phoenix spelling, which doesn't help much since both words use the same katakana note .
- Then again according to The Other Wiki, Phoenix is an alternative spelling for Phenex.
- Playing with Fire: The family can control fire at will.
Rias's fiance and the third son of the House of Phenex.
- Arch-Enemy: He quickly becomes Issei's biggest enemy in Volume 2 when he kisses one of his servants in front of the Occult Research Club and tries to steal Rias away for their Arranged Marriage planned out by their families.
- Arranged Marriage: He and Rias became engaged because of an agreement between their families, in an attempt to preserve the bloodline of Pure-Blooded Devils.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's the leader of his own peerage and a badass fighter to boot.
- Big Bad: He is the main antagonist of Volume 2.
- Big Brother Instinct: It's shown that he deeply loves Ravel to the point that he's willing to have Issei look after her for his sake.
- Black Sheep: Riser is the only member of his family who has an arrogant personality, unlike his well-mannered siblings and parents. Well, until the aftermath of his duel with Issei, at least...
- BrotherSister Incest: The reason why Ravel was a part of his peerage was that he wanted a "little sister-type" girl in his harem, though he denies having a sister complex.
- The Bus Came Back: He's completely absent following his defeat at the hands of Issei until the side-story "The Resurrected Immortal Bird", where Issei brings him back out of his Heroic BSoD.
- Break the Haughty: After losing the Engagement Challenge, he comes around to treat the protagonists with more respect. By the time of Issei's "death", he comes around to offer his sincere condolences.
- Character Exaggeration: While Riser's a Jerk with a Heart of Gold to begin with, his jerkassery in the anime version is significantly exaggerated.
- Disposable Fiancé: He was Rias's fiancé before Issei defeated him and annulled his marriage to Rias.
- Engagement Challenge: He fights Issei during Rias's engagement party in the finale of Volume 2.
- Facial Horror: At the end of Volume 2, Issei uses holy water and his Boosted Gear to burn Riser's face. He gets better.
- Fatal Flaw: His pride ends up causing his defeat at the hands of Issei at the end of Volume 2.
- Final Boss: He becomes the final threat Issei and the Occult Research Club take on in the first story arc.
- Foil: He can be considered one for Issei. One is an Ordinary High-School Student while the other is a Born Winner; Issei wants a harem while Riser already has one; and Issei is deeply respectful of Rias while Riser treats her like a trophy to be won.
- Graceful Loser: He forgives Issei for his actions in canceling his marriage with Rias, but he won't forgive him if he tries to make any unforgivable moves on his sister.
- Heroic BSoD: He sulks in his room after Issei defeats him in his engagement party.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: After being defeated by Issei in volume 2, Riser temporarily becomes a broken man. It's even lampshaded by Ravel when Issei inquires her about him.
- Immortality: His main strong point is that he can't be killed. As you can imagine that is enough to get through most enemies.
- Irony: When he's first introduced, he is engaged to Rias and taunts Issei to the point that he beats the latter up in the Rating Game to force Rias to surrender. But he doesn't get the girl thanks to Issei winning his Engagement Challenge. Even better, Riser views Issei as a Worthy Opponent and respects his wishes to have his own harem.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite being a jerk to Issei and making unwanted advances towards Rias to the point that she challenges him to a Rating Game, he's one of the good guys who respect Issei as his Worthy Opponent.
- Kick the Dog: He kisses Yubelluna in front of Issei and makes unwanted advances towards Rias in Volume 2 to pile misery on both the latter and Issei.
- Large and in Charge: He's 180 cm/5'11" tall and is the leader of his peerage.
- Laser-Guided Karma: By the end of Volume 2, Riser beats up Issei in the Rating Game and attempts to steal Rias away. Then, Issei defeats Riser at the end of their Engagement Challenge and gets Rias back from him.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Though the "lovable" part is up for debate, Riser has an all-female peerage and wants to see both Rias's and Akeno's breasts.
- Meaningful Name: Riser is derived from "rise/rising", given his prominence as the leader of his peerage.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: With Ruval, he is the latter.
- Old Flame: He and Rias were going to be engaged at some point before the story began. Eventually, Rias would become Issei's girlfriend in the aftermath of the latter's Engagement Challenge.
- Pet the Dog: Despite the fact that he still acts like a jerk towards Rias and still kissed his servants in front the group to provoke Issei, he actually gave a lot of good advice to Rias and told Issei that if Issei is defeated, it is a blow to Rias. Not to mention, he's the one who gave Rias a handicap and told her that their Rating Game will take place in 10 days and tells her that if she wants to do it now, he knows he'll curb-stomp them.
- Playing with Fire: As with most of the Phenex family, he can burn enemies with fire.
- Pride Before a Fall: He starts off as an arrogant jerk who is Rias's fiancé. Said arrogance ends up being his undoing by the end of Volume 2, and he begins to respect Issei and his allies after his defeat.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Ravel and Issei even jokingly referring to Issei as Ravel's future husband.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: He is named after the 00 Raiser from Gundam 00.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His first name is often translated as either "Raiser" or "Riser", and his last name can be both "Phenex" and "Phoenix".
- Third-Person Person: He speaks in this manner in Funimation's dub of the first season.
- Took a Level in Kindness: He offers his condolences to the Occult Research Club when Issei "died" at the beginning of Volume 12.
- To the Pain: In the anime, he loudly gloats that he can mortally wound Issei during a ratings game to bypass the safeguards and get away scot-free. He seems to have only said it to twist Rias's arm into surrendering. When he has a chance to outright kill Issei during their fight, he announces he'll just put Issei in a coma.
- Training from Hell: He gets subjected to this by Issei and Tannin to do this in the same mountains that Issei trained at.
- Trauma Button: Whenever he sees Issei or any dragon, Riser freezes in shock. Given how he was defeated by Issei back in volume 2, this is understandable.
- Underestimating Badassery: He makes the mistake of underestimating how strong Issei is when they first meet. By the end of volume 2, Issei uses his Boosted Gear to avoid Riser's attacks, burn his face and punch him in the stomach to knock him out.
- Unstoppable Rage: Riser loses it when Issei uses holy water to burn his face towards the end of Volume 2.
- Worthy Opponent: He views Issei as this when he is finally healed from his dragon trauma.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: After Issei defeats him in volume 2, Riser suffers from dracophobia (fear of dragons), at least until Issei snaps him out of it in his side-story.
The eldest son of the House of Phenex and heir to the house.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: With Riser, he is the former.
The mother of the Phenex siblings.
Riser Phenex's Peerage
- Voiced by:Click to Expand
- All Chinese People Know Kung-Fu: Xuelan, the Anime Chinese Girl, is a specialist in kung-fu.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Ile and Nel's "Rip 'em apart! Rip 'em apart!"
- Badass Cape: Yubelluna has one.
- BFS: Siris has a Zweihander, to be exact.
- Boobs of Steel: Yubelluna has the largest bust of Riser's peerage and manages to curb-stomp Kiba, Koneko, and Akeno in her master's Rating Game. Xuelan also has these.
- Blow You Away/Razor Wind: When Siris swings her sword.
- Boyish Short Hair: Isabela has very short hair.
- Cat Girls: Ni and Li have cat ears.
- Chainsaw Good: Ile and Nel use chainsaws as their preferred weapons.
- Cool Mask: Isabela wears one on the right side of her face.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Yubelluna wears a very noticable corset, even in battle.
- Curtains Match the Window: Yubelluna has purple eyes and hair.
- Defeat by Modesty: Ile, Nel and Mira are all defeated by Issei's Dress Break.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Yubelluna's nickname, the "Bomb Queen".
- Fangirl: Mira became Issei's fan as shown when she asked for an autograph during Rias rematch Rating Game against Riser.
- Flaming Sword: Karlamine has a flaming daggar.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Ile and Nel wield dual chainsaws.
- Going Commando: Xuelan does not wear any underwear under her outfit.
- Magic Knight: Karlamine, Riser's Knight, specializes in fire magic.
- Meaningful Name: Xuelan's name means "Snow Orchid" in Mandarin.
- Meido: Shuriya and Marion dress up as maids.
- Modesty Shorts: Siris wears shorts under her skirt.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Karlamine wasn't pleased by Riser using his Pawns as Sacrificial Lions, but went along with it anyway.
- Odango Hair: Xuelan has the covered variation.
- Playing with Fire: Xuelan can emit flames from her hands and feet and Karlamine specialises in fire magic.
- Sailor Fuku: Ni and Li wear a Stripperiffic version.
- Samurai: In asthetics. Karlamine's armor is a mix of this and a European knight's, and she wields a broadsword instead of a katana.
- Simple Staff: Mira wields a basic staff.
- She-Fu: Xuelan uses Kung Fu-style techniques when fighting.
- She's Got Legs: Xuelan fights using her legs.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Yubelluna's magic works like this, which gave her her embarrassing nickname.
- Vapor Wear: Xuelan is absolutely naked under her Qipao.
- Villain Forgot to Level Grind: One side story has a rematch between Rias' now completed peerage and Riser's. Having been through several life-and-death battles after their initial match, the Club utterly trounces Riser's peerage... with the exception of Riser himself, whose training with Sairaorg allowed him to at least put up a good fight with Issei before losing.
- The Voiceless: The only time we hear Mihae is when she gets Impaled with Extreme Prejudice by Yuto's enhanced Sword Birth.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: In the manga, Isabela does at her master's engagement party.
- Worthy Opponent: Isabela seems to really think highly of Issei after he defeats her.
One of the 33 remaining devil families of the 72 Pillars, the Bael family is the highest-ranking among the pillars. They boast a proud warrior culture.
- Fantastic Racism: They don't hold other devils in high regard, especially not the Gremory Family, and are also put off by family members not possessing any demonic powers.
- Meaningful Name: Bael is Hebrew for "master" or "lord".
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Bael may bring to mind one of the seventy-two demons of the Goetia.
- Purple Is Powerful: Their the higest-ranking of the devil clans and their signature Color Motif is purple.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The Power of Destruction spell can destroy anything in its path, even enemies.
- Undying Loyalty: Sairaorg's Peerage very much so.
- Voiced by: Yuuichi Nakamura (Japanese) and Marcus D. Stimac (English)
The son of Lord Bael and Misla Bael, Sairaorg id the heir to the clan. Exiled from his home after he was unable to inherit his family's Power of Destruction, Sairaorg trained himself to the point that he can fight off anybody as one of the strongest devils. His wish is to become one of the Four Lords of Hell.
- Badass Normal: All he has is just pure physical power and nothing else seeing as he doesn't have Power of Destruction. And yet he's kicked everybody's ass.
- Badass Teacher: Gets a chance to be a special guest lecturer at the Auros Academy. Also, it is heavily implied that he trained Airi, Asia's daughter to be a formidable Barefisted Monk.
- The Beastmaster: He inherited the special ability exclusive only to the Vapula clan from his mother side to tame Lions. It's because of this trait he was able to gain control of the Longinus sacred gear "Regulus Nemea".
- Black Sheep: Because Sairaorg was unable to inherit his family's abilities, he was banished from his home.
- Cast from Lifespan: To use Breakdown the Beast against Bedeze Abaddon, he sacrificed some of his life showed by him splitting up some blood.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Lacking the Power of Destruction, he instead trained his body and his fists, to the point where every punch is a Megaton Punch.
- Died Standing Up: A non-fatal example: He loses the Rating Game but doesn't even lie down at all.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He makes an appearance at the end of the anime for a few seconds. He doesn't get to appear until three volumes later.
- He also makes an appearance in chapter 21 of the manga, at the same event. See the third panel for yourself.
- Empowered Badass Normal: If he equips the Sacred Gear, Regulus Nemea.
- The Exile: He was exiled from his family since he was unable to inherit his family's Power of Destruction.
- Full-Name Basis: To everybody except for Rias.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Tells the Gremory group to never give up in believing that Issei will come Back from the Dead seeing as he hasn't had sex with Rias yet. Without the hitting part of course because of the obvious.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Instead of inheriting the Power of Destruction of the Bael Family, he inherited the lion taming ability of the Vapula Family. It doesn't sound like a good trade-off, but being able to tame lions allowed him to tame something potentially even more powerful than the Power of Destruction, a Longinus-class Sacred Gear.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: Requests from Sirzechs to lift up the rules that restrict the Gremory team so that they can fight at full power.
- Lightning Bruiser: Noted by both Issei and Kiba to be fast, strong and durable. Considering how strong Issei is and how fast Kiba is we can take their word for it.
- Magnetic Hero: According to Sirzechs.
- Megaton Punch: Enough to knock out anybody.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Well, the equivalent of devils, but he still counts.
- No-Sell: He can stop Issei in his Trianna Welsh Dragonic Rook form. Not so much when Issei's at Cardinal Crimson Queen.
- Power Limiter: Limits himself to just be able to have a good fight with his opponents. Doesn't matter anyway.
- Red Baron: Imperial Purpure (Kanji reads as Purple Gold Lion King).
- Self-Made Man: Lost his position in the Bael line of succession due to being born without special powers, and what did he do? Gain everyone's respect the hard way by undergoing intensive training.
- Shipper on Deck: Much like Sirzechs, he ships Issei/Rias, to the point of even saying that Issei would flat-out refuse to die if he didn't first have sex with her.
- So Proud of You: When his mom finally wakes up from a coma, she says she's proud of him, causing him to shed a Single Tear.
- Training from Hell: Subjected himself to one so he can become stronger.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Issei as this seeing as he's wanting to fight one of the two Heavenly Dragons.
- Voiced by: Kohei Amasaki (Japanese)
Sairaorg's Pawn. In reality, he is the Sacred Gear "Regulus Nemea", which Sairaorg picked up after its host died.
- An Axe to Grind: Was originally a great battle axe before its host was murdered.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Full mastery of Regulus Nemea (Also known as Lion King's Battle Axe) allows the user to split the Earth in half.
- Equippable Ally: One for Sairaorg being able to equip as armour when using Balance Breaker.
- Gold-Colored Superiority: His Balance Breaker and Breakdown the Beast forms are both gold and very powerful.
- Purple Is Powerful: His Breakdown the Beast form is also purple.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After its host was murdered it physically materialized to kill the group who did it.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Can transform into a young boy who is about Issei's age.
- Voiced by: Yuka Nukui (Japanese) and Emily Neves (English)
Sairaorg's Queen from the House of Abaddon, one of the families of the Extra Demons.
- Bare Your Midriff: The anime shows her shirt exposes her belly.
- Meaningful Name: Kuisha is the Swahili word for "ended", referring to the angel Abaddon in original myth.
- Tactical Withdrawal: Sairaorg retires her before an enraged Isseis attack can hit because it would have killed her outright.
- Our Wormholes Are Different: Her family's Power of Hole.
- Voiced by: Nanako Mori (Japanese) and Kristen McGuire (English)
Sairaorg's Bishop from the House of Andrealphus.
- Meaningful Name: She's named after Andrealphus, one of the demons in the Ars Goetia.
- Sexy Secretary: Coupled with Sexy Spectacles. She is considered to be attractive.
- Sharp Dressed Woman: She wears nice dresses.
- You Can Leave Your Hat On: Does this to Issei until she gets Megaton Blasted for taking off her panties before her bra, which for Issei is Serious Business.
Sairaorg's Bishop from the House of Sabnock.
- Did Not See That Coming: He's taken completely by surprise when Gasper undoes his Trick Vanish before they can defeat Xenovia.
- Power Nullifier: His Sacred Gear Trick Vanish allows him to temporarily shut off his opponent's abilities, at the cost of considerable stamina.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Turquoise in his case.
- Voiced by: Haruki Ishiya (Japanese) and Daman Mills (English)
Sairaorg's Knight from the House of Crocell.
- Gravity Master: His Sacred Gear, "Gravity Jail".
- Logical Weakness: Much like in Gasper's case, he needs to see for his powers to work. Luckily he knows it and took precautions when Rossweisse tried to take advantage.
- Taking You with Me: Knowing he's going to be defeated by Rossweisse, he ensures Gandoma can at least take down Koneko before both leave the arena.
- Voiced by: Shinnosuke Ogami (Japanese) and Brian Mathis (English)
Sairaorg's Knight from the House of Furcas.
- Blade On Astick: Uses two lances in battle, carries one in hand and stores the other one in Altobaru's mane.
- Cool Horse: The Pale Horse Altobrau which is said to be the most untameable horse in the Underworld.
- Graceful Loser: Takes his defeat against Kiba quite well.
- Voiced by: Taro Kiuchi (Japanese) and Cris George (English)
Sairaorg's Rook from the House of Balam.
- Flat Character: He barely even speaks, making him the member of Sairorg's peerage with the least personality shown.
- Mighty Glacier: He fits the description of Rook far more than most characters.
- Rock Monster: His skin looks as if it's made of stone.
- Voiced by: Takaaki Uchino (Japanese) and Bryan Massey (English)
Sairaorg's Rook from the House of Bune.
Misla Bael (née Vapula)
- Voiced by: Airi Otsu (Japanese) and Michelle Rojas (English)
- The Beastmaster: She posses her clans ability to tame Lions, which her son inherited.
- Convenient Coma: A rare demonic disease has placed her in a coma for years.
- So Proud of You: Delivers one to her son after she wakes up from her coma.
Sairaorg's half-brother who got scorned by his clan due to the fact that Sairaorg defeated him. Appears in Volume 21 when the Bael territory was attacked.
- Abusive Parent: Hoo boy he got it large as the source of his early Angst (though this has rectified by the time he makes his appearance). To wit: He was born with his clan's Power of Destruction, but he does not have the exceptional talent like Rias and Sirzechs, so his father subjected him to Training from Hell (literally and figuratively). His family never got along well, and his mother was only in it because she was proud of being married to a head of Bael. Only when Sairaorg talked to him he started to feel a bit better. When it was revealed that his and Sairaorg's father is a jerk who only cares about their reputation, making it completely justified.
- Nature Hero: Magdaran's interest is botany, where he is very knowledgeable, and is capable of cultivating rare plants like rare species of apples and actually revived an extinct species of flower.
The first head of the Bael clan.
An associate of the Khaos Brigade. Wanting to have Asia Argento as part of his harem, he harms himself and has her heal him, which results in Asia's exile. He was brought in by Shalba Beelzebub to kidnap and marry Asia, and launch an assault on the Underworld. Failing a few attempts and defeated by Issei Hyoudou, he was killed by Shalba.
- 0% Approval Rating: Due to him branding nuns as heretics to the point that he murders them, everyone has a good reason to hate Diodora. Issei eventually realizes, and states outright, that the only reason none of the other Devils have killed him is because they risk a civil war by doing so.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: While Diodora had blond hair in the original light novel series, his hair is dark green in the anime.
- Ambition Is Evil: His ambition is to kidnap Asia and have her join his harem.
- Ax-Crazy: Despite not cracking until his Villainous Breakdown, his obvious pleasure at raping and torturing Asia is a sign that he has not got a right mind.
- Bait the Dog: When he first appears, he's an affable devil. Then it's revealed that he's a murderer and a rapist. After that, he tries to kidnap and rape Asia.
- Berserk Button: He despises the idea of someone that's much stronger than him.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: He and Shalba work together as the main antagonists of volume 6. Well, until Shalba kills him for his failures at least...
- Big Bad Wannabe: He may be part of the Big Bad Duumvirate with Shalba Beelzebub, but he directly overestimates just how much clout he actually has - the only reason he wasn't dealt with earlier is it could have provoked the Old Satan faction and triggered civil war. When they break to join the Khaos Brigade, that protection disappears, and he promptly fucks up by targeting the new Red Dragon Emperor. He then finds out exactly how disposable he is when Shalba Beelzebub arrives and kills him.
- Break the Haughty: Hes very confident of himself to put it mildly and thinks of Issei and the others as beneath him, but Issei proceeds to reveal this as nothing more than delusions of grandeur as he bounces him across the vast hallways like a stress ball.
- Chekhov's Gunman: He appears briefly during Volume 5, only to reappear at the end of the volume and set himself up as the main antagonist of Volume 6. He is also mentioned as a part of Asia's backstory as far back as the first volume.
- Classic Villain: He represents Lust and Pride.
- Crisis of Faith: Diodora actually gets off on causing these in his marks; finding a devout, well-respected holy woman like a nun and slowly breaking their spirits until they ultimately give in to despair.
- Cuckold: Proposes to and attempts to kidnap and rape Asia, incurring the wrath of Issei.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: He mocks Issei about his Blue Blood nature. Granted, Diodora truly didn't realize that he was mocking someone almost three times stronger than him, but it still counts.
- Dirty Coward: When the club tries to rescue Asia, he threatens to use her as a Human Shield, before teleporting away snickering.
- Disc-One Final Boss: He's presented as one of the final main villains of the second story saga, but it's not until the finale of volume 6 that the true final boss turns out to be Shalba Beelzebub.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: After taunting and demeaning Issei by threatening to rape Asia and gloating about his supposedly Blue Blood nature, Issei one-shots him.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He may be hard to see among the crowd, but he made a brief cameo in chapter 21 of the manga during Rias and Riser's engagement party.
- Engineered Heroics: He planned for Asia to get excommunicated by the church and also waited for Raynare to kill her, only for him to kill the fallen angel and revive Asia, thus appearing to be her "savior." The last part of his plan fails when Raynare is defeated by Issei and Asia is revived by Rias.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Diodora's arrogance and relentless self-centeredness blind him to the idea that Issei will defeat him and cause his plan to kidnap and ultimately rape Asia to fail.
- Evil Counterpart: To Issei. Just like him, Diodora wanted to form a harem. However, unlike him, Diodora was willing to do anything to accomplish his goals, including outright murder.
- Evil Gloating: When the group confront him, he continuously taunts Issei about having kidnapped Asia, eventually crossing one too many lines and causing Issei to reach his Rage Breaking Point by threatening to rape Asia.
- Evil Plan: He had planned to make Asia a part of his harem from the very beginning.
- Eyes Always Shut: As part of his smug, polite facade. He opens them when he gets aggravated, like when Issei tries to pull him away from Asia.
- Fatal Flaw: Diodora's pride and lust. He can't control his urges to rape and murder nuns, and couldn't stand being underestimated by Issei, and that's precisely how he lost in volume 6.
- For the Evulz: Hes pretty much a scumbag for the sake of being a scumbag. He even drags the rest of the Occult Research Club into his business with Asia just to have more victims. This kills him in the end when he gets curb-stomped by an enraged Issei and is dispatched by Shalba as a result.
- Faux Affably Evil: He may have been calm and polite in the Young Devils' Gathering, but it was only because he had to do it to cover his true motives, not to mention that he was clearly shown to drop his polite demeanor whenever not in their presence.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: It gradually becomes obvious - and eventually gets said point-blank by Issei - that the only reason the rest of the Devils put up with his transparent smarm is because offing him could cause a civil war.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Of Volume 1. He's the one who caused Asia's exile from the church.
- Hate at First Sight: Issei hates his guts from the first second they meet, particularly due to him horning in on Asia right in front of him.
- Hate Sink: Diodora's malicious personality is meant to earn him the ire of everyone, both in-universe and out. Rias even coldly states she intends to have his head on a pike, not just out of revenge for kidnapping Asia, but to serve as an example of what would happen to anyone who threatens her peerage.
- Hope Crusher: And delights in every second of it. He explicitly plans to kill the group in front of Asia just so he can see her lose all hope.Diodora: I never get tired of it! My favorite is when a woman of faith and conviction give in to despair!
- Hypocrite: Similar to the Old Satan faction, he prides himself as a high-class devil and lambasts Issei as a "filthy dragon", despite the source of his overconfidence being his consumption of a snake from the Ouroboros Dragon Ophis.
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": In the English dub of the anime, Diodora's name is pronounced "dee-o-do-ra" instead of the usual "dee-o-da-ra" with a short "a" sound.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Shalba runs him through with his light spear.
- Irony: He attempts to brand Asia as a heretic and wait for Raynare to kill her to revive her as a devil. Not only does Issei rescue Asia and has her revived as a devil, but he kills Raynare in the process.
- Kick the Dog:
- Diodora having Asia heal him is unforgivable, but he used a self-inflicted wound to have her heal him.
- Not only did he had Asia excommunicate from the Church, he even had nuns who were exiled from the church raped and ultimately killed.
- Lust: His Fatal Flaw. He can't control the urges of raping and murdering nuns.
- The Man Behind the Man: He is behind the events of Volume 1 and Asia's banishment from the church.
- No Body Left Behind: He's impaled by Shalba's light spear and disappears into light.
- Obviously Evil: He wears dark robes and has a sinister personality.
- Pride: His Fatal Flaw. He can't accept being underestimated by a more powerful devil, which is exactly what leads to his demise.
- Psychopathic Manchild: He reflects a childish glee when drooling about how he would rape Asia, and when he's being tossed around like a ragdoll, he screams and throws a temper tantrum.
- Red Right Hand: Diodora sports an X-shaped scar on his chest. It was self-inflicted as part of his gambit to get Asia.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: His threat to rape Asia establishes him as one of the most despicable, irredeemably evil villains in the series, and causes Issei to explode in a fit of anger, reaching Balance Breaker. Nobody even cares what happens to him after this, and Ddraig advises Issei to spare no expenses on him.Diodora: (whilst gloating) I'll be honest, the thought of raping Asia as she calls out your name is absolutely delicious!
- The Reveal: Two. Firstly, he was the devil who Asia healed while she was still affiliated with the church, and secondly, he had been planning to kidnap Asia all along.
- Sadist: A vicious piece of work, who gets off on making women suffer and being his sex slaves.
- Shadow Archetype: To Issei — he represents what Issei could have become if he was devoid of any true love for his harem.
- Small Name, Big Ego: A devil who talks down to people (AND Issei, who had none of it) and smug enough to kidnap Asia to rape her. He pays for this trope with his life when Issei gives him a Curb-Stomp Battle and Shalba kills him for his failures.
- Smug Snake: It takes a special kind of smug to take the moment you had a nun heal you so that she can get excommunicated from the Church and having a Fallen Angel kill her so that you can revive her and paint yourself as the hero. So smug that his explanations about what he did to Asia gives a good enough reason to beat the crap out of him.
- The Sociopath: His hobby is forcibly turning nuns into Sex Slaves for nothing more than dominance and fun before murdering them, he has utterly no empathy for the victims of his actions and cares only about indulging himself and inflicting pain as much as he can.
- Stupid Evil: After he kidnaps Asia, he leads the Occult Research Club into a battle with him. Not only that, but Diodora taunts the club about raping and eventually murdering Asia, which makes it that much easier for Issei to give him a Curb-Stomp Battle.
- Taking You with Me: He had a backup plan that accounted for his defeat - a Longinus seal that would devour Asia to ensure that she could never return to Issei and the Occult Research Club. Worse yet, it would force her to use reversed healing on the field and observing room to take down the leaders of each faction. Luckily, he didn't account for Dress Break.
- Tareme Eyes: His eyes are drawn in a distinctly droopy fashion. Combined with the above Eyes Always Shut, it gives him a meek expression unbefitting of his true colors.
- Underestimating Badassery: His toying with Issei when he believes they can't fight back comes back to haunt him big time when Issei gives him a Curb-Stomp Battle.
- The Unfettered: He's willing to do anything to kill Asia if he can't have her for himself.
- Villainous Breakdown: He goes into insane hysterics when Issei beats the tar out of him with ease.
- Villain Team-Up: He forms an alliance with Shalba Beelzebub and the Khaos Brigade to launch an invasion of the Underworld in volume 6.
- Would Hit a Girl: Had no problems with raping and murdering nuns For the Evulz. He also kidnapped Asia so that he can murder her.
- You Have Failed Me: He makes a failed attempt on Asia Argento's life, resulting in his death at Shalba's hands.
- Voiced by: Yuna Yoshino (Japanese) and Jennifer Green (English)
- Meganekko: She wears glasses.
- Not So Stoic: She gets excited whenever she hears that someone is building a Gundam model is built or having a full battalion of mechas.
- Ojou: Was groomed from the start to be the next Archduchess, with all the proper education and behavior.
- Otaku: Of the mecha variety. Played for Laughs and very, very justified, as she uses it as a stress relief from the duties of the Agares heiress and it was her father who taught her to be so.
- Out of Focus: Compared to the other members of the Rookies 4 (Rias, Sairaorg, Sona), shes had very little role in the actual plot.
- The Stoic: She usually has a serious personality.
- Voiced by: Taishi Murata (Japanese) and Ian Ferguson (English)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: While his hair color was green in the light novels, it is changed to blue in the anime.
- Heroic BSoD: Losing to Sairaorg in a rating game caused him to lose the will to fight.
- Voiced by: Kenji Hamada (Japanese) and Seth Magill (English)
The head of the House of Belial and the number one ranking Rating Game champion. Known as "Emperor" Belial.
- Anti-Magic: How his clan's ability "Worthlessness" works except it requires him to understand the properties of the ability to render it "worthless".
- The Atoner: No matter how well-intentioned his plans were, he still exposed himself to the public that he did help out Rizevim for Agreas and kidnapping both Riser and Ravel during the Rating Game.
- Badass in Charge: It is revealed in EX that he became one of the Great Satans (which, in the story, is increased from four to seven as it has been proposed by Sirzechs and co.
- The Champion: He is the King of the Rating Games.
- Curtains Match the Window: His silver hair matches his eyes.
- The Exile: He goes into exile for his role in serving as The Mole for Rizevim.
- FaceHeel Revolving Door: Diehauser sides with Rizevim, but the former wants to uncover the corruption of the Rating Games.
- Foregone Conclusion: Becoming one of the Great Satans was a given by the time EX rolls around.
- Good All Along: Like Crom Cruach, he was merely using Qlippoth for his own goals and also to uncover the corruption of the Rating Games.
- Graceful Loser: He accepts his loss at the hands of Issei after their duel.
- Mr. Fanservice: The moment his face was revealed, he became this.
- Meaningful Name: Diehauser is German for "the house", since he belongs to the House of Belial.
- Mystical White Hair: He has silver hair.
- The Plan: After finding out who was responsible for killing her cousin, he then sets out a plan to expose the crimes of the illegal activities in the Rating Game. Then he got close to the guy who exposed all this, Rizevim, just to take him out. He does this by having a Rating Game with Riser to find out how to make the phoenix tears worthless, and then use it on Rizevim's phoenix tears.
- Red Baron: He is referred to as "The Emperor".
- Spanner in the Works: He ends up exposing the corruption involving King pieces in the Rating Games by the time of volume 20.
- Stealth Mentor: When he fights Issei, this is what Issei thought of him as since Belial clearly held back against him.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: No shirt, just a long jacket◊ and he doesn't even cover it.
- Walking Spoiler: Specifically the part about he's The Mole for Rizevim. And the part where he's actually a Reverse Mole.
- The Worf Effect: Just to show how dangerous Jabberwocky was, he and his team threw out their strongest attacks but they still couldn't get through his instant regeneration. Although considering the recent reveals He may have been holding back.]
A member of the House of Belphegor, Roygun is the second champion of the Rating Game using the king piece.
- Ascended Extra: By Volume 21, we actually see what she looks like and learn more about her two volumes later.
- All of the Other Reindeer: By Volume 23, Roygun is scorned by everyone she comes across for inadvertently helping the Rating Game corruption come into play. Her status as an outcast is what ultimately leads to her joining Issei's team, because she found her exile boring.
- The Atoner: Plans to give herself in after the exposure of Rating Game corruption, but given that her clan name are listed as one of the new titles in the proposal of the new Seven Satan system, she will likely be pardoned or just be given a light sentence because she never intended to be a part of the old Devils' machinations. She also feels the need to join Issei's team in the Rating Game.
- Big Damn Heroes: Averted in volume 21. By the time she appears, Bedeze Abaddon was already defeated by Saji and Sairaorg.
- Boobs of Steel: Roygun has a well-endowed bust as Issei noticed.
- Butt-Monkey: By volume 23, she's been marginalized by her house and is no longer participating as a King in the Rating Games.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: After Diehauser exposes the Rating Game corruption, Roygun is stripped of her titles and rank and is placed under surveillance.
- The Exile: After the Rating Game corruption is exposed, Roygun is exiled from the Belphegors. Around the time of Trihexa's demise, she becomes a mentor to Issei, which works out well.
- The Ghost: Briefly, in volume 10 — she didn't make an actual appearance until volume 21.
- Heroic BSoD: She clearly has one after she's exiled by the Belphegors.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Although she was one of the popular champions of the Rating Games by the time we first see her, her chances of participating in future tournaments die when Issei and Diehauser help expose the Rating Game corruption and is exiled by her house. Her exile leaves her free to join Issei's team.
- Horned Humanoid: Roygun has two horns protruding from her head, which is a characteristic of the house of Belphegor.
- It's All My Fault: She's completely devastated by how she got involved in the Rating Game corruption.
- Lady of War: She is considered to be one of the powerful women in the Underworld along with Serafall and Grayfia.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: She likes to seduce young men in their teens to their twenties.
- Meaningful Name: Belphegor is the main demon of the deadly sin known as Sloth in Christian tradition, and seduces people by suggesting to them inventions and temps people by means of laziness.
- Ms. Fanservice: Both Magdaran and Issei views her as a beautiful demon.
- Older Than They Look: She looks like in her early twenties but is at least as old as Diehauser.
- Pink Is Feminine: She has cherry blossom-colored hair.
- Redemption Demotion: After the Rating Game scandal, she's demoted to High-Class Devil and this leads to her joining Issei's team to atone for her misdeeds.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: In volume 23, her befriending of Issei and becoming an advisor to his team.
Cleria BelialCousin of Diehauser, the former governor of Kuoh before Rias, and Masaomi Yaegaki's devil lover. Already dead by the time the story starts.
- Cassandra Truth: She told Diehauser about the rumored "King" piece but he thought it was just nothing but rumors. Unfortunately for her, by the time he finally figured out it actually exists, she's already dead.
- Posthumous Character: Long dead before the series starts.
- The Reveal: Her knowledge of the illegal "King" piece which allows to make the kings stronger in Rating Games. Diehauser never used it because he was too powerful. However, everybody else in the top rankings did.
- She Knows Too Much: Her love for gossips, unfortunately, was the reason why the old devils decided to have her dead.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: She gets together with Yaegaki, but eventually meets her end.
- Voiced by: Kaoru Mizuhara (Japanese) and Milly Prower (English)
A stray devil the Occult Research Club was ordered to kill.
- Hollywood Acid: Her acid can melt anything, even walls.
- Hybrid Monster: She has the upper body of a human with four monster legs for a lower body and a snake for a tail.
- Mercy Kill: She begs Rias to kill her, which she obliges.
- Starter Villain: She gets trounced by the ORC to display the traits of the Evil Pieces to the newcomer Issei.
- Torpedo Tits: In the anime, she fires her acid like torpedoes.
A devil from the Extra Demons who is the head of the Magician's Council and Tannin's King. He is one of the oldest devils in existence, having existed during the time of the original Satans.