WARNING: UNMARKED SPOILERS BELOW. CONTINUE?
ENCRYPTION CODE: [CLASSIFIED]
SUBJECT: ORION PROJECT / SPARTAN-I PROGRAM
- Main Index
- UNSC (Miscellaneous Personnel)
- The Covenant
- UEG Civilians
- Other Factions
The original UNSC supersoldier project, codenamed ORION until it was retroactively dubbed "SPARTAN-I" in response to its research being applied for the SPARTAN-II Program. ORION operatives were volunteers pulled from all branches of the military who were enhanced with experimental augmentations to make them more powerful soldiers. ORION soldiers became very effective, put down many rebellions, and soon their membership increased from 65 recruits to over a hundred more. However, expense coupled with the beginnings of side-effects from the augmentations caused the project to eventually be discarded, and the ORIONs were quietly spread back to their respective branches, their participation on the project being kept a secret. Improving on the S-I augmentations was a first priority for the SPARTAN-II Program, and the all-volunteers nature of the ORIONs was fully resurrected for the SPARTAN-IV Program.
- Disability Superpower: Despite their gradual bodily deterioration, at least one Spartan-I was discovered to have immunity to the Flood. Supposedly. Later media seems to have retconned most of that away.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Their first mission was completed without any casualties or even without being seen.
- Flawed Prototype: Many Spartan-Is gradually began to suffer from physiological and psychological malfunctions as a consequence of their augmentations.
- Psycho Prototype: Downplayed; some suffered from post-traumatic stress or objected to fighting for the UNSC and tried to join the rebels, and even many who stayed loyal were later discharged for mental instabilities. This influenced the S-II Program's decision to indoctrinate its supersoldiers from childhood.
James "Jim" James
A former Spartan-I and father of Janissary James.
- Action Dad: To Jan.
- Alliterative Name: His assumed one, anyway.
- Demolitions Expert: Is heavily implied to have been the go-to demolitionist among the Spartan-Is. First, to keep ONI from finding out about Jan's whereabouts via her lab results, he burns down one of Bergen County's police stations. Later, during the assault on Thin's gang, Gladys remarks "If there was one thing [Jim] could do, it was blow things up." This might be partly why he died to Thin's gang relatively easily, while Gilly was able to rescue Jan by herself - stealth and single-man operations might not have been his forte.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Everyone prefers to call him "Jim", even the actual credits.
- Papa Wolf: Even kills an ONI operative who tried to take Jan away to be a Spartan-II, and assaults a base held by Crystal Security. The latter doesn't work out too well.
- Repetitive Name: A rare case of being chosen, as he believes that nobody would ever imagine he chose it for an assumed identity.
- Retired Badass
- Sacrificial Lion: For I Love Bees, as he's killed by Thin when he tries to attack a group of thugs completely alone.
- Two First Names: Though it's just his alias. His real last name was "Lee", though that can also be a first name.
A former, psychotic Spartan-I and mother of Janissary James.
- Action Mom: For Jan.
- He Who Fights Monsters: The Spartan-I lifestyle completely screwed up Gilly, who now has difficulty not killing random people. This leads her to caution Jan away from killing.
- Mama Bear: Even kills Thin and Monster Ann to keep Jan from turning out like she did.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: She's one of those classified as psychotic, since she has problems not killing random people once she's no longer a Spartan-I.
Sergeant Major Avery Junior Johnson
See the Halo UNSC Marines And ODST page for more details.
Spartan 1.1'sThe children of Spartan-Is who had returned to civilian life. Though never an official unit by the UNSC, many of them were subjected to augmentations as infants that rendered them slightly stronger than ordinary humans. Like their parents, several of them wished to defend the UNSC, and began to organize a vigilante army to take the fight to the Covenant.
The daughter of James and Gilly, she lives largely on the run with her father.
- The Ace: Leaves her Blessed with Suck since ONI wants to kidnap her for being the best.
- Action Girl
- Alliterative Name
- Girl Next Door: To Jersey Morelli, who spies on her during I Love Bees.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Implied Trope, being "the local heartbreaker" at her school.
- Just a Kid: Why she is refused from the UNSC, though ONI tries to get her later.
- Meaningful Name: Janissaries were Ottoman slave soldiers who were recruited as children. Now think about why she lives on the run again.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: In-Universe protagonist version; jannissaries also had a reputation as elite soldiers.
- Real Women Don't Wear Dresses: In-universe example: Jan doesn't like it when you compliment her domestic skills.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Orders Gladys and Gilly to not kill the Crystal Security thugs. She even has trouble pulling the trigger on Thin for killing her father, and Gilly doesn't let her do so.
The son of one of James and Gilly's Spartan-I friends.