- Arranged Marriage: With Benio. It becomes Perfectly Arranged Marriage later once he gets to know her.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-Japanese, half-German.
- Heroic Bastard: He was born of an affair between a high-ranking Colonel in the military and a German noblewoman, but his parents couldn't marry.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: He and Benio, somewhat. And while not that girly, he is more patient and sensible than she is.
- Military Brat
- Nice Guy
- Parental Abandonment: His mother is dead and his father is a high ranked Colonel who works abroad in the military. What's more, his mother was a German noblewoman who never was accepted by Japanese society, so she had to leave baby!Shinobu with the Iijyuin clan, which leads to him being...
- Raised by Grandparents
- Star-Crossed Lovers: He and Benio, after he loses his memories. They get better, though. Also, his parents were those as well, since his mom was a German noblewoman, and they were in love, but didn't marry due to her heritage and social standings.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: During the fight in Manchuria, which causes a lot of trouble in his relationship with Benio.
- Uriah Gambit: He subjects to this by an army major who holds a grudge against him, which is the reason why he's sent to Machuria to fight.
Voiced by: Grandfather: Kohei Miyauchi (JP, original), Mugihito
(JP, remake). Grandmother: Atsuko Mine (JP, original), Ikuko Tani (JP, remake).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shinobu's grandfather may come off as rude and standoffish towards Benio, not only that he never hesitates to say misogynistic words towards her which Benio doesn't tolerate and stands up to him by challenging him to the Kendo swordfight which she wins and then gains his respect for her. Later on, he would have kill Ranmaru disguised as a maid for a minor offense of accidentally shattering one of the family heirlooms which are ten porcelain plates if it wasn't for Benio stepping in to break all of them to take his place which he gives up out of gratitude and kindness from her.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Shinobu's grandmother and Benio's grandfather. They were in a Perfectly Arranged Marriage, but were torn apart by political/social standings (One family was pro-Shogunate, another supported the Meiji Restoration), which is the reason why the arranged marriage to Benio and Shinobu happened, so his grandmother would this as a sort-of solace.
- Beta Couple: With Tamaki.
- Eye Scream: In the past, he lost his left eye very messily. He explains to Tamaki that this happened when he was a child, when trying to protect the girl who was his first love.
- I Owe You My Life: Towards Shinobu.
- Red Baron: "The Black Wolf of the Manchurian Steppe"
- "X" Marks the Hero: He has one his left cheek.
- The Dandy: He dresses with plenty of frills, on top of having a slightly feminine appearance.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Due to his mother, who abandoned him, so he has serious issues towards women. He falls for Benio later, because she's the only woman he trusts.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Oh, Tousei, even though you fall for Benio, you really don't stand a chance against Shinobu...
- Second Love: For Benio, until towards the end.
- Broken Bird: In the past.
- Driven to Suicide: Also in the past, when her lover, an army officer, was killed during World War I.
- Second Love: She and Benio's father.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: The most straight-up case for this trope. This is justified: She's a geisha, so either being or making herself look like one is how she makes a living.
Countess Larissa Mikhailovna
- Broken Bird: Due to the Russian Revolution.
- Fallen Princess: After the Russian Revolution, where she lost everything, including her husband.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Blond, young, pretty, girly and very sympathetic. And ultimately... so, so tragic.
- Heroic Sacrifice / Diving Save: She dies while saving Shinobu from a Falling Chandelier of Doom. In her dying words, she tells Shinobu to marry Benio and be happy.
- Ill Girl: She's got tuberculosis and has a pretty short lifespan because of that.
- Loving a Shadow: She falls for the amnesiac Shinobu because she looks like her dead husband Sasha. And even more: Sasha is Shinobu's half-brother, which is why she sees the very strong resemblance between Shinobu and Sasha.
- Regal Ringlets
- Romantic Runner-Up: In regards to Shinobu, which is further complicated by the situation mentioned above. It ends...tragically.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly girl to Benio's tomboy.
- Widow Woman: Her husband was killed during the Russian Revolution.
Count Sasha Mikhailov
Voiced by: Hiroshi Masuoka (JP, original), Kenta Miyake
Voiced by: Miyu Komaki (JP, remake)