A Character list for Groovy, Kinda.
A 39 year-old electrical engineer working for Sampson Enterprises. A very kind, considerate, understanding gentleman and one time tentmate of Phyllis Sampson on one of her adventures, with all that implied. One time lover of Eleanor's sister, Victoria, until an unfortunate incident involving the discombobulationotron. Asked to leave one of Eleanor's parties just before the beginning of the orgy in order to walk a tipsy Edison Lighthouse home, the two fell in love. Frolicking ensued.
- Mr. Fanservice: Not a bad bod for a nerd. Strong enough to carry Edison when need be. Must have come from his adventures with Phyllis while working on the Great Saharan Monorail.
- Nerd Glasses: Well of course.
- Shirtless Scene: He gets his share and more.
- A Threesome Is Hot: Averted with Edison and Anya. Played straight with Edison and Stephanie.
Edison Lighthouse/Rosemary Pipkin
- But Liquor Is Quicker: At her soberest (a relative term), Edison Lighthouse calls to mind a 1950s television housewife. As her day and her drinking progress, she begins to lose both buttons and inhibitions.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Larry witnesses her kissing Anya and Stephanie
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Changes from a brown to pure white during a wild hover-car ride with Larry. Brown again for no explained reason for her return trip to Rivendale to sign divorce papers.
- Lady Drunk: Spent time in rehab with Phyllis Sampson, and immediately fell Off the Wagon, afterwards.
- Meaningful Name: "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" was the only hit for The Edison Lighthouse, whose lead singer was originally a member of the one-hit-wonders The Pipkins, whose only hit was "Gimme Dat Ding." The name Edison Lighthouse is derived from an old folk song "The Eddystone Light."
- Ms. Fanservice: The more she drinks the greater the distance between the top of her hiphuggers and the bottom of her crop-top. and the more unfastened buttons of her shirt. Plus the occasional Absolute Cleavage for good measure. And then, of course, there'e her plunging neckline, backless black pantsuit that reveals a whole new cleavage. At least until Toivo attempts to clean it.
- Nailed to the Wagon: Shipped by Larry and Stephanie through Eleanor's discombobulationotron to the space station that fixed Steffie's libido issues and Eleanor's brain cancer. The jury is out as to how effective the treatment was, thanks to an encounter with Vicky the vampire.
- Recovered Addict Averted on the first try. Rehab buddy with Phyllis which might explain it. Almost returned with Phyllis, who died just prior to returning. Went a through the discombobulationotron to a space station for treatment. Results are mixed so far.
- Stacy's Mom: attempted this gambit, with the aid of copious amounts of Dutch courage, to attract more friends for her son Dilbert. This led to her becoming a lush and landed her in rehab with Phyllis Sampson.
Blonde, Beautiful, 6 foot 5 inches tall, innocent, initially asexual robot girl (prefers the term humanichal.) Arrived in Innsmount via the discombobulationotron, losing much of her memory and at least one piece of herself (Edison's hangy down thingy) in the process. Works at Sampson Enterprises with her closest friend, Larry. Loves books and movies, especially those with kittens. Tends to childlike without being childish.
- Asexual: Initially.
- Bodyguard Babes: One of Phyllis' babys- bodyguards.
- Character Development: Introduced as an essentially Asexual & Aromantic robot girl she slowly shifts to being If It's You, It's Okay with Larry in terms of Romance, after her Heroic BSoD, wherein he helps her deal with the death of Phyllis Sampson. Similar to a Defrosting Ice Queen, without the anger and arrogance. She is slowly becoming more and more human, falling in love with, first Larry, and then Edison as well. Her initial encounter with Edison's hangy down thingy causes her to make out uncontrollably with Larry's girlfriend in front of him. Subsequent exposure causes her to frolic, first with Edison, then both Edison and Larry, to the point of joining into a menáge a trois with them.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Perhaps the most sympathetic character in the series. Gives hugs at the drop of a tear. Her favorite books contain pictures of cute kittens.
- Heroic BSoD: Experiences one upon learning of the death of Phyllis Sampson, requiring Larry to fix her, thus beginning her Defrosting Ice Queen development, especially towards Larry.
- Meaningful Name: Rossum's Universal Robots, a 1920 play by Czech playwright, Karel Čapek.
- Ms. Fanservice: Those hiphuggers are riding awfully low. Also occasionally wears a Dangerously Short Skirt with a garter belt.
- Nerd Glasses: Tried them once, didn't actually need them. Stopped wearing them because she's already a...
- Ridiculously Human Robot: She's gorgeous. She looks completely human. Completely. She smokes to get the more dangerous chemicals her robotic body needs and lights the cigarettes with her finger tip. She can weld metals with that same finger tip. She can, and has, run fast enough to melt the soles of her sneakers. Her hair never blows in the wind. She can throw small explosives to hit zeppelins a mile or more away, for experimental purposes. She can control the roll of her dice to always roll 20 on her surprise checks. She has developed fully human emotions. And she's in a menáge a trois with Larry and Edison. Did I mention that she looks completely human?
- Smoking Is Glamorous: When she inhales she becomes a full-color Lauren Bacall lookalike at a night club microphone.
- Statuesque Stunner: A beautiful blonde of Amazonian height and strength. One of Phyllis' former babys- bodyguards. At just under six and a half feet tall, she's easily the tallest member of the cast.
Beloved children's librarian and sometime love slave of Eleanor. 35 years old, longtime chum of Larry, with whom she is in love. Also hot for Edison. Currently in a relationship with 15 y.o. Jacob Dublemann. Still looking for the lucky pork chop at the Tuesday night fish boil.
- Fetish: Clowns. Really. No, I mean REALLY.
- Friend to All Children: Anya, the beloved children's librarian is quite fond of kids.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Sometime love slave to Eleanor. Makes out with Edison here and here.
- Hot Librarian: Anya appears to be a shy, slightly overweight Cute Bookworm. As the story unfolds, we find out that this Children's Librarian is the former love slave to Eleanor, and has a deep submissive streak. She also sports some world-class cleavage when hosting a dinner for Larry and Edison, and seems intent on joining them as a trio for frolicking. Currently frolicking with her under-age lover, despite much guilt. Still intent on frolicking with Larry.
- MayDecember Romance: Currently infatuated with Eleanor's former love slave, 15 year old Jacob Dubblemann.
- Nerd Glasses: Essential for that Hot Librarian look.
- Really Royalty Reveal: The lost twin sister to Princess Andapea of Chuckleslovakia, given up for adoption during the fight for freedom from Brungaria. She is unaware of her birthright, but Eleanor, the U.S. State Department and the Chuckleslovakian consulate are not.
Age 39, long time friend of Larry's, despite pushing his one-time girlfriend, her own sister and retired swimsuit model, Victoria, through her invention, the "discombobulationotron." A brilliant engineer and a "selfish, vain, almost totally conscience free" dominatrix, who is "fiercely protective of her friends." With the death of Phyllis Sampson, now Larry's supervisor. One of the few main female characters not after Larry.
- Absolute Cleavage: Frequently.
- Dumb Blonde: Complete aversion. It's her airhead sister, Victoria, that's the brunette swimsuit model.
- Depraved Bisexual: Nelson, Anya, Amy, 15 year-old twins Jacob & Esther , now gunning for Reade and Edison, maybe.
- The Chessmaster: Plans within plans to the point where many thought her brain cancer might have been yet another scheme.
- Ms. Fanservice: Suffers from the same creeping clothes lines as Edison, except at work, where she prefers schoolgirl attire with a DangerouslyShortSkirt.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Not just for work anymore.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Adapts on the fly almost continuously.
Reade Turner/Reed Turner
Frequently angry, outspoken, transgender woman, in her late thirties, the owner of a local bookstore. Has two children, Iseult "Izzie", 15, and Tristan, 16, who are friendly with the Dubblemann twins.
- Mama Bear: Do not mess with Iseult or Tristan.
- Transgender: while characters with this trope are usually depicted as a man in drag (think John Lithgow in The World According To Garp) or a blonde bombshell (think Chandlers Dad on Friends), Reade is neither, being drawn as a very slightly masculine looking woman, and as an effeminate looking male in flashbacks of his time in the Scouts with Nelson.The fact that she is trans is not played for laughs,nor does anyone seem to make any kind of a big deal about it.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: She has been in love with Nelson for thirty years, since they were in Scouts together. At the time she was still a boy. Now that She has transitioned, she finally has become brave enough to act on her feelings and succeeded.
An older alcoholic woman, late wife of "Rad" Sampson, and one time adventure-buddy and tent-mate (with all that implied) of Larry's. Close friend and former rehab-mate of Edison. Died just before a return trip to rehab with Edison.
- Lady Drunk: Imbibes even more than Edison. Became one after being forbidden to go adventuring by her husband, Rad, due to having been kidnapped by the Brugarians.
- Lady of Adventure: During one of her infrequent sober periods she went adventuring with Larry to The Plateau that Time Misplaced and The Great Saharan Monorail where they shared a tent during a sandstorm. Wants to go through rehab again so she can go adventuring again, preferably with her "Sandman."
- Recovered Addict: Nope. Tried once didn't last. Didn't survive quite long enough to go again.
Eleanor's sister, 35, a retired swimsuit model and Larry's ex-girlfriend. Has been missing for two years, pushed through her sister's discombobulationotron by Eleanor herself. Now a vampire, she bit Edison after pulling her into her own dimension.
Twin 15 year old children of self-absorbed poet Francesca and self important pastor/philosopher Wilbur Dubblemann.Eleanor has become their legal guardian.
- Meaningful Name: The Doublemint Twins of Wrigley's Gum advertising.
- Disinherited Child: by their parents after an orgy of Eleanor's where their grandfather,who was an involved guest, spotted them and then ratted them out to their parents.
- Foster Kid: Now the foster children of Eleanor.
Jacob Dubblemann: 15 year old former sex slave to Eleanor, now the enamorata of Anya
Esther: 15 year old love slave of Eleanor, crushing hard and hopelessly on Larry.
Larry's closest friend, a gay, neanderthal man and lover of Geoffrey/Prospero.
Local radio personality and member of local band Nucleaire Romantiques. Former housemate of Larry's and lover of Eleanor, now Reade's boyfriend.
Amy20 year old, cute, blonde, former love slave to Eleanor, former body guard to Phyllis, now an assistant in the lab along with Larry and Stephanie. Taught her close friend, Steffie, how to smoke. Mostly does fetch and carry work in the lab.
- Bodyguard Babes: One of Phyllis' babys- bodyguards.
- Dumb Blonde: Doesn't do any of the critical tasks in the lab. Her speech indicates that she isn't the sharpest crayon in the box. Not played as a negative trait.
- Ms. Fanservice: Occasionally does the "Naked Overalls" (as opposed to Naked Apron) while working.