Classes: Wild Crest, Attacker/Defender (Repage)
Voiced by: Ryota Ohsaka, Drew Barber (English)
Owner of a "Blank Tome", Ex is a young man living in a Story Zone with no idea what lies in his future. One day, he encountered Reina and the others, and thus began his journey to grasp his destiny with his hands. Able to connect with any Heroes' Soul, he possesses the "Wild Crest".
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is a nice guy, but don't cross him or threaten anyone he loves, he will awaken a huge power in order to protect them. Loki learns this the hard way in Episode 12 of the anime.
- Catchphrase: "I will put an end to this nightmare!"
- Chick Magnet: He sure has a lot of suitors, ranging from the females in his team to even the Main Characters of the Story Zones he visits.
- Childhood Friends: With his version of Cinderella.
- Declaration of Protection: Gives one to Reina in their heart-to-heart in the Looking Glass World Story Zone, before being interrupted by Tao and Shane.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Due to being given a Blank Tome, Ex has no idea what his role in the Story Zone is due to lacking a pre-defined fate and is having an existential crisis over it. He eventually found his calling in taking down Chaos Tellers after meeting Reina and the whole Chaos Teller fiasco in the Cinderella Story Zone.
- Eleventh Hour Super Power: Connects to Ludwig Grimm, a Storyteller, during his final fight against Loki and Jaberwocky in the anime.
- Gender Bender: In the anime, his transformations always seem to be female characters, with the exception of Ludwig Grimm and Jack.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: While Ex is his canon name, the game can elect to have players name him what they want.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Ex wields a wooden one and most of his heroes in the anime are derived from the Attacker class, all of whom wield swords.
- Informed Ability: In the anime, Ex's ability to connect with any kind of hero. In the game, this translates to Ex using any hero regardless of their class while everyone else is limited to heroes of 2 classes. In the anime, he is only seen using heroes of the Attacker class, maining Alice and Snow White while in only 3 occasions using heroes of the Defender class, Alice (Summer) and Jeanne d' Arc, the classes used eventually being the only ones available to him in Repage after joining Levor. Ex is never seen connecting with heroes of the Healer and Shooter class.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Ex has a thing for his childhood friend Cinderella, and this factors into his decision to leave his Story Zone with Reina and co. because he doesn't want to take away her happy ending despite having the capability to romance her because of his Blank Tome.
- Jack-of-All-Stats / Master of All: How his Wild Crest is described to work: Ex can connect with virtually every hero in his disposal regardless of job class while the others are more restrictive of which hero they can connect to depending on what job class they specialize in. For Example
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: He seems to inherit the personality of the character he transforms into, as he acts like he was always a girl when he becomes Alice.
- Naïve Newcomer: As he was the most recent guy to join Reina's original party, Ex lacks the experience outside his own Story Zone the other three have. Lampshaded by Shane, who constantly calls him the new kid.
- Nice Guy: Ex is a very friendly and generous person with nary a mean bone in his body.
- Supporting Protagonist: Ex is the viewpoint character of the story with a unique power, but the narrative is more focused on Reina's crusade.
- Unique Protagonist Asset: Ex's Wild Crest, which allows him to connect to any and all heroes while everyone else is limited to heroes of 2 classes. Repage has him lose this power as a Blank Tome user, but at this point, Ex is no longer the protagonist.
- Weapon of Choice: In the anime, despite having a Wild Crest that can connect to any hero, Ex prefers heroes of the Attacker class, with Alice and Snow White being his constant go-to heroes to connect.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: Ex carries one around, and is shown to be proficient in wielding it outside of fighting villains and Chaos Tellers.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ex's hair color is green.
- Big Damn Heroes: In Prometheus' Story Zone, he connects with Machina Prince (somehow) just in time to get rid of the monsters summoned by Baron Munchausen, and saves the party.
- Eye Colour Change: After his HeelFace Turn, they go from red to yellow.
- Mirror Match: The event Dorothea's Trial Part 1 culminates in a fight between him and his Prometheus self. Though gameplay-wise, you can bring anyone to the fight itself.
- Multicolored Hair: White and blue-green.
- Redemption Demotion: Lacks all of the powers he had as Prometheus outside of connection and even loses the power of the Wild Crest when he joins Levor as a Blank Tome wielder.
Voiced by: Reina Ueda, Stephanie Komure (English)
An owner of a Blank Tome and the Shaman of Attunement, Reina travels around Story Zones taking down Chaos Tellers and restoring the balance that was disrupted in their wake.
- Arch-Enemy: Loki, since he was the one who razed her Story Zone to the ground. The feeling is mutual on Loki's end after she got in his way one too many times.
- Ascended Fangirl: Reina is a huge fangirl of Alice, and gets to connect with her idol in the Wonderland and Looking Glass Story Zones in the anime, or deliberately invoke this trope in the original game by connecting Reina with any of Alice's forms (except with, you know, her Defender and Shooter forms).
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Reina usually does not take it well when Ex interacts with other females.
- Everything Is Better With Princesses: Reina was one in her original Story Zone before it was destroyed.
- Freudian Excuse: Her journey to take down Loki and save Story Zones from villains is because her own was destroyed before her very eyes, and wants to prevent that from happening to everybody else.
- It's Personal with the Dragon: While Reina wants to rid the worlds of Chaos Tellers and stop the Fortrem Cult, she REALLY has it out for Loki and wants him gone the most.
- The Leader: Arguably shares this position with Tao. A type 2, Reina is usually the one who calls the shots in the group and leads the fight against the Chaos Tellers.
- No Sense of Direction: She has the tendency to get lost in situations which can be an inconvenience to the group, which Tao and Shane poke fun at at times.
- Rapunzel Hair: Reina's hair barely touches her ankles even tied up.
- Reset Button: One of Reina's powers as the Shaman of Attunement; everything in the Story Zone returns to how it is before the Chaos Teller came by, but anyone killed beforehand won't return to life.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Shane's Tomboy.
- Tsundere: Type B. While she is kind and caring to everyone, her tsuntsun side comes out when she either gets annoyed by Tao's antics, or if anyone questions her feelings for Ex.
- White Magician Girl: Reina's hero setup.
Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi, Joe Hernandez (English)
The self-proclaimed leader of the "Tao Family", and an owner of a Blank Tome. Tao is pretty headstrong and courageous figure who accompanies Reina in her journey to stop the Chaos Tellers alongside his sister Shane.
- Berserk Button: Don't you ever dare to harm Tao's Family. Chaos Jim learned that in the hard way.
- Big Brother Mentor: Is this towards Ex and Shane. Tao tries to become one towards Momotaro when they enter his Story Zone because of his loyalty to Momotaro (Predecessor)'s memory.
- The Big Guy: Serves as the main tank due to his affinity to heroes of the Defender class.
- Drop the Hammer: His weapon as a Defender.
- The Leader: Types 3 and 4.
- The Mole: Tao turns out to secretly be in contact with the Fortrem Cult, leaking Reina's movements to them.
- My Greatest Failure: As he admitted to Momotaro, Tao failed to protect his version of Momotaro (Predecessor), who sacrificed himself to save him from certain doom after a battle went wrong.
- Playing with Fire: As a hero, his element of choice is fire.
- Significant Wardrobe Shift: After Tao rejoins the party after his FaceHeel Turn, he wears clothing similar to what Momotaro (Predecessor) wore, down to the peach accents in his armor.
- You Shall Not Pass!: When the group was cornered by the Jaberwocky, Tao and Shane stay behind to fend it off while Ex takes Reina away to someplace safe. They end up surviving thanks to the March Hare (Looking Glass) and the Mad Hatter (Looking Glass).
Classes: Shooter/Attacker, Attacker/Shooter (Repage)
Voiced by: Miyu Kubota, Jessica Rau (English)
Tao's younger sister and fellow Blank Tome holder. Like her brother, Shane joins Reina in her quest to take down Loki and the Chaos Tellers.
- Big Brother Worship: Shane really looks up to Tao after he essentially adopted her, and became her primary traveling companion before the two meet Reina.
- Bow and Sword, in Accord: As a hero, Shane wields a bow, reflecting on her primary class as a Shooter. Her secondary class is an Attacker, and she does get to wield one in the future. See Katanas Are Better in the Repage section.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has a dry sense of humor in every situation she comes across.
- Gun Nut: Courtesy of the anime. Shane is knowledgeable of almost every weapon she comes across, and her eyes light up when she examines the rifle left behind by the Huntsman in the Red Riding Hood Story Zone. Her game counterpart is none like that.
- Ms. Exposition: In the game, she is the one to explain the crafting and weapon enhancing mechanics to the player(Ex) at a certain point, tying to her expertise in weaponry.
- The Nicknamer: Gives one to almost every person she comes across. Tao is some variation of bro, Reina is Boss (Ane-go in Japanese), and Ex is the New Guy.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Reina's girly girl.
- Weapon of Choice: Shane typically prefers heroes of the Shooter Class in the anime, often using Red Riding Hood and Gerda as her go-to heroes to connect to.
Voiced by: Yukiyo Fujii, Rebeka Thomas (English)
A knight wandering around Story Zones that Ex and co. encounters whom possesses a Blank Tome.
- Blade on a Stick: Her weapon as a Defender hero.
- Dub Name Change: Eidah in the Global release.
- Knight In Shining Armour: Was a knight guarding a princess in her original Story Zone, and still displays the chivalry of one in her travels to other Story Zones.
- Older Than They Look: Adah spent at least 100 years guarding her princess while she peacefully slumbers, but you can't really tell that from a glance. Naturally, she has a complex over this.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her hair is covering one of her eyes.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Adah's hair is pink.
Voiced by: Yuu Serizawa, Julie Park (English)
Known as Pam internationally, Fam is a self-proclaimed witch who Reina was acquainted with in the past who holds a Blank Tome. Fam bears an uncanny resemblance to Ex's childhood friend Cinderella.
- Dub Name Change: Pam in the Global version.
- The Gadfly: Fam goes out of her way to tease Reina and her friends for the lulz.
- Identical Stranger: Looks and sounds like Ex's childhood friend Cinderella.
- The Medic: As a hero, she can heal the party and buff it's defense.
- The Mole: Gets accused of this after Shane noticed that someone has been leaking their movements to Loki's group. Part of the Bluebeard Story Zone plot is focused on proving her innocent.
- Mysterious Past: Nothing is known about her before she met Reina.
Voiced by: Kengo Kawanishi, David Asher (English)
An orphan under the employ of Bluebeard who possesses a Blank Tome.
- Barefisted Monk: Primarily fights using his fists despite having a sword hanging down his waist.
- Battle Butler: Serves as one to Bluebeard, carrying out his orders and taking down his enemies using martial arts. After he was forced to leave Bluebeard's employ, Clovis becomes one to Ex instead.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Shows a fair share of loyalty to Bluebeard because the latter adopted him.
- Bishōnen: Dear lord, is he pretty.
- Dark and Troubled Past: An orphan that was given a Blank Tome, life hasn't been that kind to him.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: His eyes have no light inside of them, reflecting on his horrible childhood and the crimes he committed in Bluebeard's name.
- HeelFace Turn: How much of a heel he was to begin with is debatable, but he was working with Bluebeard before he joined Reina's group.
- Shock and Awe: A master of releasing thunder and inflicting paralysis with his fists.
- Undying Loyalty: To Gilles de Rais, who took him in and showed him kindness when no one else did.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Overlapping with Hidden Depths. Despite his ruthlessness and loyalty to Blue Beard, deep down Clovis is a kind and virtuous young man. Ex and even Jeanne go out of their way to point out his virtues because he actually tries to carry out his master's will with as few deaths as he can. Bluebeard even kicks Clovis out of his employ because he believes Clovis is way too kind to be working for someone like him, encouraging the Blank Tome user to find someone worthy of his kindness to serve.
Voiced by: Shiori Izawa
The grandaughter of the mysterious thief Arsene Lupin, who didn't exist in his book of fate. Her real name is Clarisse Lupin.
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
The Shaman of Chaos, and a member of the Fortrem cult.
Voiced by: Takahiro Mizushima
A self-proclaimed magician and another member of the Fortrem cult. Like Ex, he also has a Wild Crest that lets him connect with any hero's soul.
- Arch-Enemy: Reina.
- Evil Laugh: He tends to laugh maniacally.
- The Heavy: The Fortrem Cult is the primary antagonistic force in the game, but Loki has the most influence to Reina's group due to being the one who destroyed Reina's Story Zone and constantly getting in their way.
- One-Winged Angel: He transforms into Machina Prince during the confrontation with him in Snow White's Story Zone.
- Troll: Loves to get into the skin of virtually everyone he meets, especially Reina.
- The Unfought: Sort of. Unlike Morrigan and Prometheus, Loki as a boss is never fought in his original self (At least not with Ex's group).
Goddess Cuvelier (女神キュベリエ)
Voiced by: Sakura Tange
The Goddess of Purification.
- Amplifier Artifact: In battle she can generate a FO that boosts the party's attack power.
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
The Witch of Calamity.
- Final Boss: Of Ex and pals' journey. Complete with a One-Winged Angel form.
- Minion Master: She's aided by chibified forms of the main Chaos Tellers (C. Dunyazad, Candy Witch, C. Dante and Kuzunoha), but only when she's playable.
- Non-Elemental: Her two forms are inmune to elemenal attacks.
- Recurring Boss: Fights the party lot of times in the final Story Zone, and she's far from a pushover.
Voiced by: Shoya Chiba
A resident from Little Mermaid's Story Zone.
Elena Wyllt (エレナ・ウィスルト)
Alicia Quixano (アリシア・キハーノ)
Voiced by: Yumi Uchiyama
A student from Fortrem College, and nephew of Alonso Quixano.
- Meganekko: Like Clovis, she wears glasses.
Voiced by: Yuki Ono
A classmate of Alicia.
Voiced by: Wataru Hatano
A teacher from Fortrem College.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hair is blue.
Hecate (ヘカテー) / Luisa (ルイーサ)
Voiced by: Yo Taichi
- The Dragon: To Prometheus.
- HeelFace Turn: Joins Levor's group in Snow Ashes' Story Zone.
Voiced by: Ryota Ohsaka
A man in dark clothes who travels between Story Zones, capable of capturing heroes' souls and create Chaos Tellers, like the former Witch of Calamity.
- Bandaged Face: To hide his own identity.
- Dual Boss
- Teams up with Chaos Jack in the Recollection Cave of the event "Dorothea's Trial Part 1".
- And later with Reina Viehmann in the second part's Recollection Cave.
- Good Costume Switch: Again, post HeelFace Turn.
- HeelFace Turn: Joins Levor and co. after dealing with his own Story Zone, as Ex.
- Minion Master: Like Morrigan when being controlled by the player, he's accompanied by chibis of the main Chaos Tellers (C. Siren, C. Rugal, Duchess and Lira's Essence).
- Non-Elemental: He isn't weak to anything.
- Recurring Boss: You fight him twice in the main story, and a couple more in a Symbol Event.
- Weaponized Teleportation: His normal attack. He just doesn't swing his sword, he makes it teleport to attack his opponents from above, and behind.
Deus Prometheus (デウス・プロメテウス)
Ludwig Grimm (ルートヴィッヒ・グリム)
Voiced by: Soma Saito, David Asher (English)
- Adapted Out: Not himself, but his chibi minions don't show up in the anime.
- Big Damn Heroes: Lends Ex his form after the team got annihilated by Chaos Aladdin-connected Loki, giving Ex the power to fend off Loki and slay Jabberwock.
- Curbstomp Battle: Single-handedly takes down the Jabberwocky and goes mano-a-mano with Chaos Aladdin with a hand tied to his back and winning.
- Minion Master: Fights alongside chibified versions of Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Hansel and Gretel, Zwerg and Puss in Boots.
- Rain of Something Unusual: Ludwig's Author special "The Marchen siblings come marching home" has him raining all kinds of sweets on his enemies.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He alongside the other Brothers Grimm share the same green hair color as Ex.
Lewis Carroll (ルイス・キャロル)
Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu, Drew Barber (English)
- Minion Master: Fights alongside chibified versions of Alice, Watch Rabbit, March Hare, and the Mad Hatter.
William Shakespeare (ウィリアム・シェイクスピア)
Voiced by: Joji Nakata
- Minion Master: The chibis following him around are Nick Bottom, Puck, Romeo, and Juliet.
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
- Minion Master: Fights alongside chibified versions of Arabian Nights heroes such as Alibaba, Morgiana, Aladdin (Sultan), and Princess Badour.
Jacob Grimm (ヤーコプ・グリム)
Voiced by: Takuma Terashima
Wilhelm Grimm (ヴィルヘルム・グリム)
Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura
Charles Perrault (シャルル・ペロー)
Voiced by: Mutsumi Tamura
Leonardo da Vinci (/レオナルド・ダ・ヴィンチ)
Voiced by: Taiten Kusunoki
Hans Andersen (ハンス・アンデルセン)
Voiced by: Kosuke Toriumi
Dorothea Viehmann (ドロテア・フィーマン)
Voiced by: Kikuko Inoue
Reina Viehmann (レイナ・フィーマン)
Voiced by: Reina Ueda
Mother Goose (マザー・グース)
Voiced by: Rie Takahashi
Oscar Wilde (オスカー・ワイルド)