Characters in Griefer Belt:
open/close all folders
Characters in The Belt:
- Professional Killer:
- Lars and Scott fall into this category, taking hits and organs to earn their paychecks.
- As of Chapter 2, so are Seong and Gemma, two other employees of The Belt.
- Smoking Is Cool: Both Scott and Lars have been depicted smoking.
- Terrible Trio: Lars with Scott and Addie.
- Villain Protagonist: These are our "heroes" in the story. They make black market deals for a living.
Lars Van Allen:
- "Awesome McCool" Name: Lars van Allen does have a pretty neat name going for him.
- Badass Longcoat: Wears one sometimes. It's worth more than your kidney.
- Blatant Lies: Lars tries to take credit for punching the owner of the bar despite Addie doing it. He also claims the guy's jaw popped from the hit and Scott agrees, but Addie says that's not true either.
- The Charmer: He's flirtatious and loves spending money on people.
- Coattail-Riding Relative: Though he does work as a Griefer, it's his family fortune that's funding his expensive tastes.
- Conspicuous Consumption: Lars loves flashing his cash, flaunting with expensive clothing, and has a knife with a gold blade that he uses while working.
- Creepy Souvenir: Lars has a couple, including a human skull and a jar of teeth.
- Custom Uniform: Lars has a uniform jacket that's different from the other Griefers because of course he does. The notable differences are round patches on the elbows and that the jacket reaches almost to his knees instead of his waist, though the zipper itself still stops at the waist. It also lacks the red trim at the bottom.
- Destructo-Nookie: There's no raging fight involved, but when he has sex with Scott, they trash Lars's room and both of them are covered in bruises and scratches.
- Embarrassing First Name: Cowan calls him "Laurence" when seeing him.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Lars doesn't like Cowan despite him being a regular customer. It's probably more to do with Cowan being creepy and gross than technically a matter of moral standards. Lars definitely looks down on people that take hostages, though.
- Evil Feels Good: He's notably proud of his dealings and success.
- The Family That Slays Together: The Belt is a family business.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Feather Boa Constrictor: So far only shown on his twitter account and additional sketches, but he owns a python named Princess.
- Handsome Lech: Lars sleeps around often and always without commitment, but he does have some charm.
- The Hedonist: His mum criticizes him for spending more on his lifestyle than The Belt. Mixed with his habit of sleeping around, Lars definitely looks like this. Word of God is that he's a reckless thrill seeker, supported by the fact that he knowingly walked into and partied in that bar he was banned from, inciting a fight.
- I'm a Humanitarian: While Lars seems to find it distasteful to eat human organs, he has to eat dinner while visiting Cowan against his will and it's the same dish Cowan is eating.
- In Love with Your Carnage: While not obsessed with him, Lars did apparently hire on Scott after Scott beat up his last partner.
- Inadequate Inheritor:
"...Lars Van Allen is heir to the organization but lacks certain abilities to properly run a business."
- Cowan implies that Lars won't be able to run the company properly after his mother passes, and from Lars' reaction he's probably right.
- This is also hinted at in the comic description.
- Knife Nut: Lars has been depicted with knives several times and, in the comic itself, is revealed to have a knife with a gaudy gold blade.
- Loveable Rogue: Possibly his only redeeming quality.
- Meal Ticket: He certainly wouldn't mind being a sugar daddy and is definitely not above flashing his cash to solve anything and everything.Lars: Hey hey now! Can we all act like adults and do this the proper way by taking a nice little bribe from Daddy?
- Millionaire Playboy: Possibly not a millionaire, but absolutely a playboy.
- My Beloved Smother: According to Lars, "the Old Hag" criticizes his spending habits and pushes him to be civil with Cowan. He also jokes that she would probably fire Scott for being "too cute".
- Noodle Incident: Why had Lars been banned from that bar? Dispatching a hit in public there? Having sex on the counter? Both? Who knows?
- Overlord Jr.: Lars' mother is the actual head of the Belt, while he's living it up as the heir.
- Royal Brat: A spoilt rich kid, through and through.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Firmly believes in this, but it doesn't always help him weasel out of situations.
- Sex Equals Love: Averted and will continue to be, more than likely. Lars isn't the romance type.
- Smug Snake: Lars is the smuggest of the smug. Even Scott, his partner in work and bed, doesn't get off easy.
- Tattooed Crook: Lars is the leader of The Belt and he has a stylized spine design tattooed on the back of his neck.
- Troll: He's a master at trolling people. In one scene, he brings Scott and Addie to a bar he's banned from, prompting the owner to physically threaten him. The bar owner gets punched by Addie in response, inciting a bar fight. Lars's immediate response is watching with interest for a moment while sipping his drink.
- Upperclass Twit: Lars has no idea how to run a business despite being the heir to The Belt. He typically solves things with lots of money.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hair is a desaturated shade of blue that could be mistaken for natural and possibly a very light stand-in for black, though Word of God is he dyes it the color it is (and it's confirmed when childhood flashbacks depict a young, brown-haired Lars).
- Adorkable: He comes off as cutely awkward when taken off guard. Even Lars finds it endearing.
- Bi the Way: Lars' notes on his character profile mention he's "definitely not straight, don't think he's 100% gay though."
- Cold Sniper: He's not entirely stoic, but he shows no qualms in killing people and has been shown sniping someone to harvest their vital organs.
- Destructo-Nookie: There's no raging fight involved, but when he has sex with Lars, they trash Lars's room and both of them are covered in bruises and scratches.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Similarly to Lars, Scott hates Cowan and doesn't like interacting with him.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: After his wild night with Lars.
- Extreme Doormat: Can come off as this. Scott tends to follow Lars's lead.
- Genre Savvy: Scott may be this to an extent when Lars is making the drop with Cowan's crew since he asks if he should go with Lars instead of waiting in the truck. Lars, being less sensible in the situation, insists to go on his own and is about to be strong-armed into accepting Cowan's dinner invitation for once.
- Icy Blue Eyes: He has blue eyes and kills people for a living.
- Only One Name: Scott is one of the few people listed on the webcomic's character sheet that doesn't have a last name shown.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: He has a brief moment of this, waking up covered in bruises and scratches with a human skull lying nearby, before remembering that he's in Lars's bed.
Adelaide "Addie" Finch:
- Bar Brawl: She starts one when sticking up for Lars by punching the owner in the face.
- Bi the Way: Lars notes she's "(kinda) bi-romantic" in his notes on the cast page.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Considering the pattern with Lars and Scott, she may dye her hair or at least the lighter streaks in the front, but she still does have both the dark skin and red hair to fit.
- Evil Redhead: Even more towards morally ambiguous than Scott since she isn't shown killing anyone and isn't a Griefer, but she's definitely an accomplice to the Griefers and she doesn't show much sympathy for people that turn on them.
- Fingerless Gloves: Addie wears a pair of black fingerless gloves for the entirety of Chapter 1.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Addie's punched a bar owner for threatening Lars, starting up a bar fight, as well as single-handedly beaten off a goon that was sent after her later when she splits off from Lars and Scott as they begin making out.
- Legitimate Businessmen's Social Club: Addie runs the thrift store that fronts The Belt, the HQ of the Griefers.
- Only Sane Man: Addie is the most sensible character of the main bunch since she's far less likely to acquiesce to Lars's whims like Scott is.
- Token Girl: At least out of The Belt's crew.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: It comes from knowing Lars so long, but she doesn't bat an eye at the stunts he pulls. Her reaction to an ex-coworker walking back into the thrift store, his arm having been amputated by Lars, is to yell at him to get out since he's making a mess that she'll have to clean up.
- Action Girl: As a skilled Griefer, she would have to be this.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Implied in her character description to be this for Seong, as it says "she keeps an eye on him for me".
- Only One Name: Like Scott, her last name isn't given in the webcomic's character sheet (and like Scott, her birthday isn't given in her character bio either).
- Token Girl: While Addie is the Token Girl of the three main protagonists, Jemma is the only female Griefer we've seen so far.
- Dueling Scar: He has a large scar across the bridge of his nose. Considering his line of work, it's not too surprising.
- Gayngster: Scott definitely was not the first to be hooking up with Lars.
- Gold Digger: How he presents himself in regards to sleeping with Lars, though his actions speak differently.
- Tattooed Crook: Barely, but the fact that it's the company logo makes up for it's size.
- Working with the Ex: Sort of inevitable when you were sleeping with your boss.
"The Old Hag" Van Allen:
- The Family That Slays Together: The Belt is a family business.
- I Was Quite a Looker: While she's described as currently being an "old hag", from what we can glimpse of an old photo of her and Cowan at a party, she was pretty in her youth, to the point where it is heavily implied that Cowan was/is in love with her.
- My Beloved Smother: She's Lars's mom and she allegedly loves to nag him. Lars also has to be civil (at least not rude) to Cowan because of her.
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me: David, an employee of Cowan's, makes sure Lars is cleaned up before meeting with Cowan for the forced dinner invitation.
- Conspicuous Consumption: Almost to a pun level, at least if someone knows what it is he's consuming. A text from Cowan to Lars simply states "50k" for presumably the usual drop. However much this particular drop consists of ends up being able to fit in one modestly sized cooler.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He may be a regular, but Lars and Scott aren't fans of dealing with him so directly.
- Evil Has a Bad Sense of Humor: Cowan points out that he chose sausage as the dish that night because Lars would be there. Lars doesn't find the little jab at his proclivities to be nearly as funny, probably helped by the fact that he had just butchered the guy that ended up in the meal.
- I'm a Humanitarian: He's a cannibal that employs The Belt regularly for human organs.
- Last-Name Basis: Most of the characters refer to him as Mr. Cowan instead of Tyler. Lars and Scott drop the Mister at least behind his back since they both hate him.
- No, Mr. Bond, I Expect You to Dine: Kind of a strange example since Lars isn't much of a hero, but he's getting his arm twisted into a dinner invitation. Cowan's been brushed off by Lars at least once before and this could possibly be a captive date situation. Lars got pushed into sharing the same menu.
- Silver Fox: He's in more of a salt and pepper stage, his brown hair streaked with grey part of the way through, but his desirability is extremely questionable considering his dietary habits.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Human organs. If there's a more specific "dish", it hasn't been mentioned yet.
- Wicked Cultured: Cowan's obviously filthy rich, dresses nicely, and has some elaborate food presentation. There's also a photo in his mansion of he and Lars's mom hanging out at a fancy party.
- All There in the Script: He was named in an art stream for the comic and his name is tagged on the first page he's shown on.
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me: David makes sure Lars is cleaned up before meeting with Cowan for the forced dinner invitation.
- Consummate Professional: David handled the drop for Cowan's order from The Belt and has managed Lars's shenanigans about as well as can be expected. Despite clearly being agitated by Lars's attempts to weasel out of the forced dinner invitation and annoying comments on the way, David hasn't lashed out or complained.
- No Name Given: So far, he hasn't been named in the comic, but he does have an official name given to him in an art stream and tagged on the first page showing him.