A list of characters who appear in the fanfic Gods Humor.
A 16 year old, who also goes by "D", with the powers of death and erasing memories. Throughout the plot he attempts to use his abilities for good, though things dont tend to work out for him very well.
- Ambiguously Brown: Hes dark-skinned, but his actual race hasnt been revealed.
- Ambiguous Disorder: He seems to occasionally dissociate, but its not clear whether this is just due to stress or something more psychological.
- Asexuality: D is asexual in canon, and it seems like he is also asexual in Gods Humor.
- Bad Powers, Good People: D tries very hard to use his powers for good.
- Cradling Your Kill: D does this to Izm after putting him out of his misery.
- Emotional Powers: D initially thinks that he needs to be in a certain emotional mindset to use his powers. Turns out he doesnt.
- Face Death with Dignity: When D thinks he is going to die in chapter 16, he doesnt freak out, choosing to focus on Izm instead.
- Let Them Die Happy: D confesses his love for Izm, though the love confession was a lie he told in order for Izm to die happy.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers!: He has good intensions, but hes still willing to break laws in order to do what he believes is right. Biggest examples? Training to be a vigilante and digging up graves.
- Survivor Guilt: D goes through this being one of the few survivors of the Hedone High explosion.
- Sympathetic Murderer: Killing Izm doesnt paint D in a bad light.
- Trauma Conga Line: D goes through so much in this story. He survives the explosion, but all 4 of his closest friends dont. He holds on to the loss of his friends and his inability to save the 707 victims of the explosion. He accidentally murders someone while finding out about his horrible death powers. He ends up living with Rire who constantly gives him bad vibes. He repeatedly has conflicts with Rire only to feel guilty about them in the end. When he thinks hes going to do something good and resurrect a few of the victims of Hedone, they turn into zombies. And then he has to kill his best friend while lying about being in love with him. And thats not even all the things D went through.
- Zombie Advocate: D wanted to keep the zombies safe until he reluctantly decided that they were constantly in pain and they would be better off dead.
The 38 year old former Headmaster of Hedone. He has the powers of healing, resurrection, and teleportation. Despite his kind and friendly demeanour, he has some dark secrets.
- Ambiguously Bi: Its hard to say whether his attraction to women is physical or aesthetic. Though he thought Val was pretty, he ultimately dated her so people wouldnt notice that he was attracted to teenage boys.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: He acts much nicer than he actually is, and he managed to keep up the act throughout the entire story. The only reason why the audience knows that hes awful is because we see things from his perspective every once in a while.
- Consummate Liar: When pressed, he can even make people who know that hes lying be persuaded into believing that he is telling the truth.
- Cool Teacher
- Drowning My Sorrows: Downplayed because he wasnt sad exactly, but in chapter 3 Rire gets drunk because he felt the deaths of a group of people who died in a house fire close to his home.
- Ephebophile: Much of the plot revolves around him being this and trying to hide it from others.
- Forgot About His Powers: This only happens in one chapter, and in in Rires defence he was panicking, and had just woken up from a burning car crash.
- Good Powers, Bad People: Rire has no interest in using his powers to help others.
- I Love the Dead: D accuses Rire of being like this. Specifically, D accuses Rire of touching him while hes dead. Though Rire denies that he has any attraction to dead people in general, and is very repulsed when he sees a dead body at the cemetery, he never actually says that he doesnt touch D while hes dead.
- Immortality Hurts: Throughout the fanfic its made clear that Rire can get hurt. This detail gets hammered in when Rire is ruthlessly attacked by Izm.
- Infraction Distraction: Tells D that Val killed herself because she found about that he told other people about her mental issues. Though it is true that he did tell other people, its possible that she didnt know about it. In actuality, Val killed herself because she found out that Rire was an Ephebophile.
- Karmic Death: Averted due to D saving him.
- Karma Houdini: Downplayed. Its not that Rire never gets in trouble, its just that his punishments or any conflict he gets into ends up resolved or undone in one way or another.
- Last-Name Basis: Rire is mostly referred to by last name.
- Manipulative Bastard: Its amazing how good he is at manipulating people.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Rire is very good at having people believe its a mistake.
- Mixed Ancestry
- Remembered I Could Fly: By the time Rire remembered that he could use his powers to get out of the burning car, he and D were already safe for a while. Rire, to his credit, is very annoyed with himself after this.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: He's almost always in a suit, and in chapter 13 he mentions that he always dresses like that.
- Understanding Boyfriend: Rire did a good job acting like one towards Val.
- Wine Is Classy: Rire drinks wine a lot in the fanfic.
Plot Important Minor Characters
A 39 year old Scottish tattoo artist and lead singer of an indie band. One of Rires high school friends, initially introduced to the plot as piebald due to his piebaldism.
- Ambiguously Gay: Rire jokes about Monroe lacking attraction to women. Though its clear that Monroe isnt straight, its much harder to figure out whether hes bisexual or whether Rire is right about him being gay. He seems to have only married his wife for the money. And its also hard to tell whether he slept with Val because he was physically drawn to her, or it he did it as a favour to her because she asked him to.
- Armoured Closet Gay: Downplayed and zigzagged. Hes not straight, makes deadpanned jokes about sucking Rire off, doesnt act overly macho, and has kissed Rire a few times. However, he flip flops between being okay with his intimacy towards Rire and chastising him for acting gay. The reason the occasional aggression towards acting gay steams from gaining a crush on Rire when he saw him in high school for the first time. When that first happened, he didnt react well to it because he thought he was straight.
- Awful Wedded Life: Monroe did not enjoy being married. Though he does admit it had its perks, those perks did not involve his wife.
- Bad People Abuse Animals: Finding out that Monroe likes breaking into peoples homes and killing their pets makes it easy to believe that hed accept Rires vices.
- Brave Scot: We dont get to see him fighting much, but he doesnt seem at all worried about the zombies, and is completely willing to help Rire kill them all.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He implies as much when he talks about not wanting to treat his son the same way his parents treated him.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He cares for Blair despite what he may say, and unlike Rire, he seems to be genuinely upset that Val killed herself. Keep in mind that this is the same person who likes torturing animals and is totally okay with Rire being sexually interested in teenage boys.
- Friendship Denial: Monroe denies that Aidan, Rashawn, Braylon, and Bishen are his friends because he believes they only ever associated with him because of Rire. Its unclear whether the others really dont like Monroe.
- Gay Best Friend: If he is gay, then hed be this to Rire.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Downplayed. Monroe seems to always be annoyed all the time.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: His talk about not wanting Rire to be arrested because people like the two of them need to stick together makes Monroe come across, in a highly disturbing and twisted way, as someone who wants a friend he can relate to.
- Loner-Turned-Friend: To Rires group of friends. Whether he is actually liked is another story.
- Loving Bully: For roughly a year, Monroe bullied Rire while they were in high school because he had a crush on him.
- Offing the Offspring: He refuses to kill his son Blair despite Blair wanting him to do it.
- Papa Wolf: Despite his claims about not caring much for Blair, he tends to go out of his way to make sure hes okay. The only reason why he didnt try to kill Rire is because he knew Rire didnt touch his son.
- Sarcastic Clapping: Monroe does this to Rire in chapter 17.
- Sixth Ranger: He was the last person to join Rires group of friends in high school.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Because he used to bully Rire in high school, the other boys in Rires group of friends didnt like him at first, going as far as to make sure Monroe was never alone with Rire as much as possible. Over time, they warmed up to him, but its not stated whether their changed feelings were genuine or if they learned how to hide their dislike of him. Monroe thinks they're only friends with him because of Rire.
One of A.E.Ds friends. He died early on in the story but doesnt stay dead for long.
- Friend in the Black Market: Izm is that friend.
- I'm Cold... So Cold...: Izm says this to some effect when hes about the die. Unlike most instances of this trope, he mentions the cold because D is using his powers to kill him.
- Love Confession: Admits to being in love with D after being questioned about it.
Val was Rires girlfriend when Rire was still a teacher at Hedone. She was the school nurse. She killed herself after finding out Rires secret.
- Abusive Parents: Her mother was aggressive towards her and her father was emotionally distant.
- Ambiguous Gender: When shes first introduced in chapter 8, D had a hard time figuring out what her gender was.
- Broken Bird: Life was never good to her, though she was sometimes able to hide her mental issues.
- Bungled Suicide: Rire assumes Val wanted this to happen. It didnt.
- Bury Your Disabled: Val suffers from depression and possibly other mental issues. Though she isnt the only one with mental health issues, she is the only character whos mental issues are blatantly pointed out in the narration that ends up dying.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Her first appearance is in chapter 8, though she isnt given a name and her physical appearance isnt detailed. Shes just described as someone who looks like she dated Rire. She becomes much more important close to the end of the fanfic.
- Despair Event Horizon: Finding out Rires secret is what drove her to kill herself.
- Disabled Love Interest: She suffered from depression and possibly other mental illnesses.
- Driven to Suicide: Killed herself because she found out Rires secret.
- Dying Alone: What makes this more tragic is that theres a good chance she didnt want to die at all, much less die alone. Rire suspects that she slit her wrists at the park in the hopes that someone would find her and save her, but by the time anyone did she was already dead.
- Goodbye, Cruel World!: Writes a suicide note on the back of photos. Its not discovered for years.
- Interrupted Suicide: What Val mightve been hoping would happen to her. It didnt.
- School Nurse: She a nurse at Hedone before she died.
- Sex for Solace: Sleeps with Monroe after finding out Rires secret and shortly before she decides to kill herself.
- Sympathetic Adulterer: You cant blame her for cheating on Rire all things considered.
- The Beard: Though she didnt know she was the beard for Rire at first.
- The Un Favourite: Its never directly stated this was the case, but considering that her sister didnt seem to get the same treatment that she did, its easy to assume Val was this.
- Posthumous Character: She was dead long before the beginning for the story.
- Walking Spoiler: There is a lot about her character that doesnt get explained until the second last chapter, hence why she is a Walking Spoiler.
One of Rires high school friends. As an adult, he is a language translator and currently works as a deaf interpreter for a student at Lotus Eaton.
- Ambiguously Bi: Says that Rire is attractive, but is married to a deaf woman.
- Last-Name Basis: Aidan always refers to Monroe by his last name. This may possibly be due to not actually liking Monroe.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: He can do vocal impressions and sound like anyone.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Dresses in a boater hat, floral blazer, and dress pants. According to him, he always dresses like that.
- The Alcoholic: Maybe. His comment about his wife not wanting him to drink so much, and his desire to drink off half of the alcohol Rire brought to the reunion, could imply that he is an alcoholic.
One of Rires high school friends and Rashawn's younger brother. As an adult, he is a police officer. He was first introduced in chapter 1, but we dont find out who he is until chapter 9.
- Big Fun: Braylon is a pretty nice guy, and hes big.
- Big Little Brother: Maybe not in height, but definitely in weight.
- Fat and Proud
- Formerly Fit: He wasnt fat in high school, but as an adult he gained enough weight that Rire didnt recognize him at first.
- No Doubt the Years Have Changed Me: Of all of Rires group of friends, he is the only would who has drastically changed enough for Rire not to recognize him right away.
- The Baby of the Bunch: In high school, he and Bishen were the youngest of Rires group of friends. Its not clear which one of the two was the youngest one.
- Turn Out Like His Father: He became a police officer just like his dad.
One of Rires high school friends. As an adult, he is a painter living with his boyfriend in England.
- Converting for Love: Bishen converted his boyfriend into sikhism.
- Gay Best Friend: Of all the friends, hes the only who is definitely gay.
- Teen Genius: As far as art is concerned. He was a very talented artist when he was younger.
- The Baby of the Bunch: In high school, he and Braylon were the youngest of Rires group of friends. Its not clear which one of the two was the youngest one.
- Token Religious Teammate: Not only is he the only religious person in Rires group, but he is also the only character specifically stated to be religious in the story.
Monroes wife and Vals sister. Apparently shes not a very nice woman.
A kickboxing instructor and physical therapist. She trains D how to be a better fighter and helps Desmond learn how to walk again.
One of Rires high school friends and Braylon's older brother. As an adult, he is a police dispatcher. Based on his various descriptions, he seems to be a part of the punk subculture.
- Chocolate Baby: He left the woman he was dating after she gave birth to a baby that didnt look like him.
- Daddy DNA Test: How Rashawn found out that he wasnt a father after all.
- Turn Out Like His Father: Averted. He tried to become a police officer like his father, but if didnt work out. Its not too bad though, since he became a police dispatcher instead.
Monroes son. He was a student at Hedone who not only managed to survive the blast, but also gains powers as well. However, he doesnt seem to use his powers much.
- And I Must Scream: He has Locked In syndrome, meaning that he cant move. He was so distressed by this, that he tried to get his mother and father to kill him.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Wanted to die because of the state he was in, but couldnt do it himself so he tried to get his parents to do it for him.
- Ordinary High-School Student: He is described as average. He gains superpowers later on.
A 16 year old student of Hedone and Izms roommate. He managed to survive the explosion but was badly hurt as a result.
- Angst? What Angst?: With the exception of what happened to Izm Desmond brushes off most of the trauma that happens to him.
- Generic Graffiti: His wheelchair and cane are graffitied and covered in stickers.
- MayDecember Romance: He isnt in a relationship with Lyla, but he has a crush on her and playfully considers her to be his future wife.
- The Pollyanna: Downplayed, but for the most part- excluding what happened to Izm -he seems to deal with Hedone getting destroyed and being crippled rather well.
- Throwing Off the Disability: Averted, though he does get a bit better over time. The explosion messed up his back, so although he isnt paralyzed, he still needs physical therapy in order to get out of his wheelchair. At first, he mostly stayed in the wheelchair since it was too painful to move without it. By the final chapter, he is able to move around with a cane, but he still uses a wheelchair when indoors.
- Wheelchair Antics: Does a backflip off his wheelchair despite not being in the best physical state to do so.
A year 12 student from Hedone High. He is one of the zombies in chapter 15.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Implied to be coaxed into one by Rire.
A deaf girl from Lotus Eaton. Aidan is her translator.
- Ambiguously Jewish: We dont get much in terms of a description, but her name sounds very Jewish.