open/close all folders
The Good Guys
Voiced by: Kazuhiko InoueThe leader (known to his teammates as "Chief") of a small group of astronauts hailing from the planet Earth, when his crew returned from a long journey only to discover that their homeworld was ruined by a nuclear war, they were abducted by a slave ship from the evil planet Galra, which is found in the great dark nebula. However, Akira and his four comrades escaped from Daibazaal's prison facilities on Galra. After being ambushed by a swarm of Galran attack ships, Akira was forced to land on the planet Altea, it was there that he and his friends were chosen to resurrect the legendary mechanical space guardian, Go Lion. At first, there were only four keys to be found, and Akira had to Pilot the Green Lion... but when the fifth key was recovered, Akira gave his lion to Shorty, and took control of the great Black Lion.
- All Chinese People Know Kung-Fu: He is of Chinese descent and the most skilled martial artist of the group. Kogane's appearance is even modeled after Hong Kong action stars of the time. His Voltron counterpart, Keith, maintains this martial arts prowess in every single incarnation.
- But Not Too Foreign: He had a Japanese father and Chinese mother.
- Chaste Hero: Despite being the lead, he's one of the few who doesn't have an open attraction towards Fala. Although she does have a crush on him which angers Sincline.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He pilots the Black Lion, and is a very heroic leader.
- Manly Tears: When everyone was tricked into believing Fala was dead, Kogane took it hardest as he ran out of the castle and let off a Skyward Scream in despair.
- Nice Guy: Very nice and encouraging, even one of the few who believes in Fala.
- Not So Above It All: Even Kogane is taken back when seeing Fala in her bikini
- Red Is Heroic: In uniform only. He piloted the black lion.
Voiced by: Ryusei NakaoAkira's second-in-command, nicknamed "Quiet" because he rarely spoke. Takashi served his teammates as commander of the Blue Lion, that is until his untimely death at the hands of one of Galra's Beastmen.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Died saving Isamu from Honerva and her Beastmen.
Voiced by: Yuu MizushimaThe dumbass, cocky member of the party of escaped earthlings. For some reason, he earned the nickname "Moody". Apparently, he has plenty of enthusiasm to operate the Red Lion. While he may not be the best fighter in the group, battling Galra would be dull without him.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Akira's Blue Oni.
Voiced by: Tessho GendaThe fourth of the five explorers, his short temper has given him the nickname "Hothead". Tsuyoshi had plenty of guts to pilot the Yellow Lion, but his weakness might be his phobia of heights (he somehow displayed that when his party was escaping their cell). While he takes great pride in battling for Altea, his biggest regret was leaving his younger sister in their war-torn homeworld.
- Hidden Depths: Despite how boisterous and loud he is, he is quite softhearted and easily teary-eyed, and regrets leaving his little sister behind on their war-torn homeworld. One can only imagine the pain he went through when most of humanity on Earth was wiped out, then having to witness its explosion.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Has a bit of a temper and is rather rude, but generally a good and nice guy.
- Ship Tease: With Fala, being the chosen guy in a reenactment of a legendary love story.
- Strong, but Unskilled: He's physically the most capable, but doesn't have the finesse of his fellow teammates, and needs to improve his work as the Yellow Lion, something he acknowledges.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Is terrified of heights.
Voiced by: Masako NozawaThe youngest of the five astronauts, Hiroshi, a.k.a. Shorty, has served as the quickest, and most elusive fighter of the bunch. As Sadak had sent a fleet of Galran war machines to recover the escaped prisoners, Shorty managed to scout the area, leaving the other four to command the lions. But when the missing key to the Black Lion was finally found, Akira gave the green lion to Shorty, and the five earth heroes were able to forge the creatures to become Golion.
- Badass Adorable: He may be a cute kid, but he's just as skilled as his friends and kicks plenty of Galra ass.
- Mama Bear: A female Beastman took Shorty in as her own when she was sent to fight Golion. She ends up dying to save him from Honerva.
- Ninja: He is a descendant of those people.
- Taking You with Me: When he believed Fala was killed, he tried to kill himself, Sincline and Honerva with a grenade.
- Weak, but Skilled: Easily the quickest of the group, but not particularly the physically strongest. He makes up for that with his intellect and cunning.
Voiced by: Rumiko UkaiHeiress to the throne of Altea, and lone survivor of the royal family. Fifteen years ago, Daibazaal and his henchmen Honerva and Sadak, attacked Castle Altea, killing everyone in the palace save two, as the newborn Fala was taken into hiding by her father's general, Raible. And now on her sixteenth birthday, Fala had welcomed the five heroes from Earth with open arms. When Takashi was killed by Honerva, and her ferocious Beastman, it was Fala who later took the opportunity to operate the Blue Lion (even if it meant disobeying her elder's orders), thus becoming the team's new Chick, leaving Isamu, of the Red Lion to take over as Lancer.
- Cool Crown: Wears a tiara even with her jumpsuit.
- Driven to Suicide: She threatened to kill herself in order to avoid being captured by Sincline, who paused long enough for her to escape to her Lion.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: The guys, Hys, and Raible occasionally undermine her or take for granted her significance as the Blue Lion. This tends to bite them in the ass.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: The guys tend to get more physical in a fight while Fala uses a gun — though she does know Judo and has used swords.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: She's the only character with blue eyes — and happens to be The Heart and the first to tear up at any tragic event.
- Nice Girl: A very benevolent princess, as well as a sweet and kindhearted friend, she always expresses belief in the boys and tries her best to help them.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: After Shirogane died, she promptly decided to become Blue Lion's new pilot. Arguably justified, because she knew that without five pilots, they couldn't form Golion, and there was no telling how long it would take to find someone else to be Blue Lion's pilot.
- Simple, yet Opulent: Her princess dress has just a few frills.
Voiced by: Yuji FujishiroOnce King Raimon's most trusted military strategists, now a broken old man and caretaker to the orphaned Princess Fala. Raible saw potential in the five Earth heroes when they first arrived at Castle Altea. He is a stubborn man, and wanted nothing more than the safety of the princess, even if it meant preventing her from piloting Golion. But later, he slowly began to realize how important she was in Golion's fight against evil.
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: When his son Saint returns as a grown man, he explains he had to stay behind to protect Princess Fala, and Saint understands. But "Saint" is really a spy of Galra, and Raible's real son perished as an infant with his mother.
- My Greatest Failure: If it wasn't being unable to save his wife and child, it would have to be Hys dying due to a Galra spy who faked his identity as Raible's long-dead son.
The Altean Mice
A family of four rodents from the ruined castle. They were Platt, the father; Chuchule, the mother; and their two children. They befriended princess Fala when she was ten and would become the Golion team's trusted small allies. At first, they had stolen the Black lion's key from the king's tomb, but thanks to Fala, the mice returned it so that Golion would be reborn. They even helped the princess out of her bonds so that she could assemble the giant robot for the first time.
Voiced by: Mahiro TsujimuraPrincess Fala's late father, Raimon ruled the peaceful world of Altea, but on that fateful day, Daibazaal and his minions invaded the royal palace. What's worse, Sadak was ordered to behead King Raimon, his wife, and their children. However, the Galrans were unable to destroy the king's youngest child, Fala, as she was hidden from them by Raible. Fifteen years later, Raimon aids the Golion team as a ghost. And even though he's dead, he could see his daughter's potential in operating Golion from the beginning.
- Good Parents: Though long dead, King Raimon still looks out for Fala and believes in her potential as a pilot for Golion.
Voiced by: Kazuyo AokiAn old woman from Altea who took refuge in Castle Gradarm. a mecha fortress built underneath the ruined Castle Altea. Hys became the new head nursemaid for the princess, and, like Raible, was acting like a real pain. The four guys from Earth didn't like her either, you might want to call her nothing but a Battle Axe.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Dies in Raible's arms, expressing regret that she couldn't live to see the Princess get married.
Voiced by: Mari ShimizuThe youngest of the royal children of Planet Heracles, his people were servants to the Galra Empire. He even hero-worshiped Prince Sincline, but things got worse when the Galrans killed the boy's older brother and father. In the process, Sincline captures the family's middle child, Princess Amue. Now Alor puts his trust in the Golion Team, in hopes of getting his sister back.
The middle child and only daughter of the king of Heracles. Amue could not understand why her older brother, Prince Samson, was chosen to become a Beastman, nor why her little brother Alor saw Sincline as a hero. Princess Amue was the only one in her people to see the evil in Sincline's heart, but Sincline himself saw that Amue resembles Princess Fala of Altea. In that bitter battle on Heracles, Sincline takes Amue captive. She had been prisoner to Galra until she met someone who happened to be Takashi's kid brother.
- Break the Cutie: After seeing her older brother and father die, taken by Sincline and forced to be his plaything while starving has taken a toll on her.
- Mini Dress Of Power: She wears a pink one when fighting Galra castle at the end, and the dress counts more as a Pimped-Out Dress than her princess dress.
- Only Sane Man: She was the only one in her family who hated Sincline at the time.
- Simple, yet Opulent: Her princess dress has only some frill edging.
Voiced by: Ryusei NakaoTakashi's younger brother, he had disappeared from the crew somehow before they could return to earth. He is later discovered dwelling in the caverns of Galra, where he met Princess Amue the two returned to Heracles thanks to the efforts of the Golion team. Ryo swore revenge against Galra for the death of his brother and soon teamed up with Amue to ambush Galra castle.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Ryo managed to kill Sincline by shoving him off the castle tower; this also cost Ryo his own life.
The Galra Empire
Voiced by: Kosei TomitaSinister ruler of the Planet Galra, Daibazaal swears to conquer the great Dark Nebula. he had sent battalions of war machines, and space pirates to plunder the heavens, capturing slaves for his arena so that they were forced to battle the mighty Deathblack Beastmen. Apparently, the slaves would become food for the Galrans. Little did he count on was the five earth slaves who escaped from his clutches, and fled to Altea where they became pilots of the legendary Golion.
Old Witch Honerva and Jaga
Voiced by: Masako NozawaDaibazaal's personal master of occult science, Honerva is responsible for creating giant Deathblack beastmen, and Mecha-beastmen, to destroy villages on Altea. She can also disguise her hideous form into something more human. Her pet cat, Jaga, is a feisty blue feline, with a yellow mohawk and a taste for blood. It seems to have a grudge against the Altean mice.
- Enemy Mine: After Daibazaal's death, Honerva turns on Sincline and helps the heroes out of revenge. She and her beloved cat are killed for this.
- Mama Bear: After Sincline forcibly sends Daibazaal to die at the hands of the Golion crew, Honerva gets enraged at him and reveals herself to be Daibazaal's mother and by extension, Sincline's grandmother.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Most of her race has yellow eyes, but considering she's a witch, and they flash with her cat's as a possible means of communication, it's safe to assume they fit the supernatural mold.
Voiced by: Kenichi OgataThe Cybernetic leader of Daibazaal's many fighting forces. Sadak had been plundering the universe in search of slaves who would be forced to fight the Deathblack Beastmen. When Akira, Takashi, Isamu, Shorty, and Tsuyoshi had escaped to Altea, Sadak led a platoon of war machines to tear the planet apart. Of course, he got upset when Honerva revived him of the attack and sent a beastman in place of him to finish the job. But Sadak swore to destroy Golion, even if it meant becoming a beastman himself.
Crown Prince Sincline
Voiced by: Akira KamiyaWicked biological son of Emperor Daibazaal, Sincline returned to Galra after a long conquest of a nearby galaxy. He had pardoned the execution of Comander Sadak for his many failures and insisted that Sadak himself should go one-on-one with Golion. Now that Sadak is gone, Sincline becomes the new head of Galra's fighting forces. He developed a forbidden obsession for Princess Fala, probably because of her resemblance to his late mother. And when he couldn't have Fala, he takes Princess Amue hostage. While Sincline served his father, he secretly seeks to overthrow the emperor... thus becoming the new king of evil.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: He constantly tries to get Fala in this situation, from threatening to destroy Altea to outright kidnapping her.
- Bad Boss: Sincline frequently has quite the temper and those under him don't last long.
- Dragon Ascendant: He eventually succeeds in overthrowing his father and becomes the main villain for the finale.
- If I Can't Have You...: Tries to kill Fala a few times due to her constant rejection and siding with Golion.
- Love at First Sight: Sincline is immediately attracted to Fala the first time he sees her. Unfortunately for him, the feeling is not mutual.
- Love Makes You Evil: While he was evil, to begin with, his desire for Fala, as well as his constant defeat by Golion, slowly drives Sincline to do more despicable and vile acts.
- Oedipus Complex: It's suggested his attraction to Fala is due to her similarity to his mother, who was murdered by Daibazaal.
- The Starscream: Despite his show of loyalty, Sincline secretly plots to overthrow him. In the finale he succeeds.
- Villainous Breakdown: By the end of the series, he's consumed by his hatred for GoLion and the maddening truth of being the son of an Altean woman that he kills all his allies before finally going insane.
- We Can Rule Together: Offers this to Fala near the end of the series when she forms an alliance group with other rebellious planet leaders. She doesn't take it.
- You Are What You Hate: He's half Altean.