The Harusame Space Pirates are a galactic crime syndicate which eventually comes into conflict with the Yorozuya.
- Elite Mooks: The Yato of the Harusame's 7th Division are the toughest mooks in the entire series! They're able to go toe to toe several named main characters, requiring extensive teamwork and sheer determination to defeat.
- The Man Behind the Man: The Harusame are truly controlled by the mostly unseen "Elders", which the Admiral answers to.
- Space Pirates: It's right there in the name!
- Space Station: The Harusame headquarters is an enormous space station in the middle of nowhere, complete with a massive shipyard. The headquarters also house the Admiral and the Elders of the Harusame.
- Spider Tank: During the Battle on Rakuyo, the Harusame use tanks with four long legs, capable of jumping around the battlefield and armed with powerful cannons.
- The Syndicate: Despite being designated as pirates, they function more as a very large criminal organisation, dealing more in human trafficking and drug-dealing than pirateering.
Voiced by: Ryusei Nakao
The first of the Harusame Space Pirates encountered in the series. A drug mobster whose connections to major Bakufu officials allow him to continue his work. He comes into conflict with the Yorozuya when they look around his business in search of a missing person. His defeat leads to the Harusame allying with the Kiheitai in order to get Gintoki and Katsura's heads.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Frequently pushes up his glasses, often while making a point.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His long cape often covers his entire body. He pushes it back when he fights.
- Badass Cape: A capable swordsman wearing a very fancy red and gold cape.
- Beard of Evil: Has a rather pointy goatee to add to his evilness.
- Berserk Button: He really hates getting dirty. He also hates people without proper hygiene, like Gintoki.
- Faux Affably Evil: His speech is polite, but mocking between the lines.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: His round glasses obscure his eyes and help sell him as a villain.
- Graceful Loser: Compliments Gintoki after being defeated.
- Neat Freak: Obsessed with staying clean, to the point he almost has a Freak Out! when his sleeve gets dirty after hitting Kimiko. He also states his dislike of Gintoki because he doesn't wash his hands.
- Pointy Ears: Both of his ears are long and pointy, reinforcing the fact he is an Amanto.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His eyes are red, which adds to his evilness.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: His eyes are on occasion obscured by the shine of his glasses.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: His connections in the Bakufu allows him to conduct his business without interference, not that it helps him in the end.
- Starter Villain: One of the first serious villains in the series, appearing before even Takasugi did.
Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (JP), Matthew Erickson (EN, series), Chris Ayres (EN, movie)
Kagura's older brother. He is the leader of the Harusame's 7th division. He left his family after challenging his father and cutting off his left arm. Although he is almost always smiling cheerfully, he is in fact a violent fighter who lusts for blood, like the majority of the Yato clan.
- Aloof Big Brother: He's completely indifferent towards Kagura whom he considers weak thus uninteresting. She, in turn, cannot stand him.
- Antagonistic Offspring: He tried to kill his own father.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: He picks fights with everybody and is often dismissive of his opponents' skills. Of course when he finds someone he finds worthy, he gets really excited.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He leads the 7th Harusame division, which is composed entirely of Yato, this has to apply for him to still lead it.
- Ax-Crazy: He'll quite readily threaten to kill anybody around him and smiles with murderous glee when he goes around killing enemies, whether they're able to put a fight or not.
- Badass Family: With Kagura, Umibouzu and Kouka. Unfortunately, Kamui doesn't seem to care about the "family" aspect. That is until he is finally stopped in Rakuyou Arc.
- Bad Boss: He is not adverse to the idea of threatening his own subordinates and has even killed one.
- Bandaged Face: His face is covered with bandages when he first appears.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Same deal as Kagura since it's his fighting style of choice.
- The Berserker: Kamui ends up going in the same state as Kagura when she was pushed to her limit in the climax of the Rakuyou Arc.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Has entered an alliance with Takasugi.
- Big Eater: The two times we've seen him eating imply that his appetite is as big as Kagura's.
- Bishōnen: His boyish good looks caused quite a few heads to turn in Yoshiwara.
- Blood Knight: His only motivation is to get a good fight.
- Braids of Action: His hair is always tied in a braid and he's a dangerous Blood Knight.
- Cain and Abel: He and Kagura have not being on speaking terms ever since Kamui tried to kill their father to then joined Harusame. He mostly just doesn't give a damn about Kagura, but won't hesitate to try and kill her if she gets in his way.
- Chick Magnet: A mild example, but nearly all the girls of Yoshiwara took notice when he made his appearance.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: His blue eyes turn really unsettling when he's at his most murderous. When he opens them that is.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: His eyes are usually lined with dark circles when he's really excited for a fight.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: He took his mother's death the hardest and his obsession with strength comes from his belief that he was too weak to save her.
- Evil Counterpart: He's pretty much Kagura if she were male and had fully embraced her inner vices.
- Evil Redhead: Red-haired? Check. Evil? Check.
- Eyes Always Shut: Keeps his eyes closed most of the time.
- Family Theme Naming: Kamui's, his sister Kagura's and his father Kanko's names all contain the kanji for god (kami, 神).
- Healing Factor: Being a Yato, Kamui heals injuries much faster than humans. It never really comes up, but presumably helps him shrug off horrible injuries pretty quickly.
- The Hedonist: A very dark example.
- HeelFace Turn: After being beaten in the Rakuyo arc, he shows up in the final arc to save Kagura and aid the defenders of Edo against the Altana Liberation Army.
- Idiot Hair: He always has that one strand of hair sticking out.
- Ignored Epiphany: Hosen tell him that the Yato life of fighting is ultimately empty. Kamui doesn't care.
- In Love with Your Carnage: How he feels while watching Gintoki's throwdown with Hosen. He feels the same way with Takasugi which is why he rescued him just so they can duel one day.
- It's All About Me: The only thing Kamui cares about is himself and what he wants.
- Kick the Dog: His casual murder of a Hyakka who'd lost all the will to fight after he slaughtered her comrades serves as a good reminder that despite helping Seita out, he is not a good person. He also later tries to shoot Princess Soyo solely because he felt she was in the way of a duel with Okita.
- Klingon Promotion: Kills Abo and takes over as the new Admiral of the Harusame. Though he later loses said position and is thrown out of the Harusame when the Elders of the Harusame stab him in the back.
- Knight of Cerebus: Like Takasugi, his mere presence in the story turns the situation much more serious.
- Lightning Bruiser: While small, he's one of the strongest and fastest characters in the series.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: According to him, he's the only one allowed to kill both Gintoki and Takasugi. However, he wants to kill his father the most because he finds him responsible for his mother's death. He's not happy at all when his father is defeated by Utsuro.
- Parasol of Pain: Being a Yato, Kamui carries an umbrella as a weapon and is quite destructive, though he is just as capable of fighting without it.
- Patricide: Tried to kill his own father, but only managed to cut off Umibouzu's arm.
- Perpetual Smiler: Almost always has a smile of some kind on his face, whether it's a cheerful one or a horrifying one.
- Pet the Dog: He decides to spare Abuto after he is defeated by Kagura and even helps carry him away.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Fully embraced his Yato heritage and looks down on anybody with differing views.
- Slasher Smile: Whenever he's especially excited about fighting a strong opponent, he shows it with a wide and horrifying grin.
- The Sociopath: Cares for nothing but his own amusement and has difficulty truly understanding other people's emotions and viewpoints.
- The Starscream: His response to Admiral Aho— er, Abo's treatment of his division and attempt to execute him and the rest of the division? Take over as new Admiral of the Harusame Pirates by offing him. However, the Elders of the Harusame don't agree with his actions and stab him in the back, taking away his position of Admiral as he is forced on the run.
- Stepford Smiler: Of the unstable type. He is almost always seen with a cheerful smile on his face even when he is murdering people.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He looks very similar to his mother.
- Super Strength: Despite his small body, Kamui is still a super strong Yato, proving his strength in his first appearance by destroying a gigantic pipe in Yoshiwara.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: He was a Momma's Boy who also protected his younger sister out of love. But following his mom's death, he embraced his Yato heritage and he joined Harusame as Housen's pupil to become the malicious fighter we know today.
- Villainous Breakdown: Following Umibouzu's defeat at the hands of Utsuro, he starts to mentally break down, culminating in him losing control of his own body to his Yato instints.
- Would Hit a Girl: The Hyakka got no special treatment from him for being women. He also tries to shoot Soyo to have a one-on-one bout with Okita, since he felt she was in the way.
- You Have Failed Me: Subverted with Abuto. He chastises him for his defeat at Kagura's hands and it seems for a second he's about to kill him... only for him to pick the injured Abuto up and carry him away, because he needs Abuto's help in dealing with more delicate matters.
- You Killed My Mother: He wants to kill his father because he blames his and Kagura's mother's death on him because she feed off the Altana from her planet to stay alive. Ironically, Kamui unwittingly ended up allowing his mother to die by picking a fight with his father... who had something to extend her life even for a bit as her planet was already dying.
Voiced by: Hochu Otsuka
A proud veteran Yato who assists, counsels and follows Kamui around.
He's not without credentials and, like all Yato, has a rather violent streak despite his apparent laid-back, collected attitude. He is about the only person Kamui considers a friend and the only one he might listen to. He lost his left arm during the Yoshiwara Arc while stopping Kamui and Hosen from fighting.
- Affably Evil: He's genuinely friendly to his enemies and offers them advice, even if he's at the moment out to kill them.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His black cloak covers most of his body
- Artificial Limbs: He's acquired an artificial left arm to replace the one he lost, though it ends up getting blown to pieces. After that, he still manages to find the time to get another replacement despite being on the run.
- Badass Cape: Wears a long black cloak, which helps hide the stump of his left arm.
- Beleaguered Assistant: He's very unamused by his boss Kamui's antics.
- The Dragon: Acts as Kamui's second-in-command.
- Fake Arm Disarm: After having acquired a mechanical left arm to replace the one he lost, it is later blown up by the ninja Momochi. He is... not very happy about it at all.
- Handicapped Badass: Loses his arm when he interferes in Kamui's and Hosen's fight, but doesn't seem to mind and is still a very dangerous fighter.
- Healing Factor: As a Yato Clan member, he's able to heal wounds at an accelerated rate, although he cannot grow back his lost arm.
- HeelFace Turn: He is mostly an ally throughout the Rakuyo arc, and in the following arc he joins Kamui in defending Earth from the Altana Liberation Army.
- Lightning Bruiser: As a Yato, it goes without saying that he has both speed and strength to match.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Doesn't so much as blink at Hosen taking his arm off.
- Noble Demon: He's a Yato through and through, but is genuinely friendly to his enemies (even if he's trying to kill them), and even saves Kagura and Shinpachi from falling to their deaths.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Gives one to Kagura in order to make her release her Yato self.
- Now, That's Using Your Teeth!: Catches one of Tsukuyo's kunai between his teeth and then uses it against her.
- Parasol of Pain: Like all Yato, he carries an umbrella as a weapon.
- Perma-Stubble: His face is constantly unshaven, but the stubble never seems to grow any further.
- Pet the Dog: Saves Kagura and Shinpachi from falling to their deaths after his defeat at Kagura's hands.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Is very proud of his heritage and considers his race a superior one.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Despite everything, he's pretty controlled and doesn't go looking for trouble the way Kamui does.
- Shellshocked Veteran: Invoked through his jaded attitude.
- Super Strength: He's a Yato and strong to break apart a ceiling by pushing the blunt end of a spear against Shinpachi's body.
- Would Hit a Girl: Just like Kamui, he doesn't care about the gender of who is in his way.
- Would Hurt a Child: Had no compunction fighting Kagura and Shinpachi, who are both half his size, with full force.
- Younger Than He Looks: He is only 32, but initially looks like a tired old man when he first appears. Due to Art Evolution he later ends up looking closer to his age.
Voiced by: Shigeo Kiyama
A Yato member of the 7th division who works for Kamui.
- Acrofatic: Big and fat, but fast and acrobatic enough to catch Gintoki off guard.
- Armor Is Useless: The only Yato to wear armor, yet Kamui pierces through it like it were nothing.
- Badass Beard: As seen above.
- Butt-Monkey: The High School A.U. turns him into one, not that he fares particularly well in the actual series.
- Healing Factor: As a Yato Clan member he presumably has this, but Kamui kills him before he gets the chance to show it.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By the hand of his own boss no less.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's shown to be very fast and strong despite his size, and manages to catch Gintoki off guard.
- Parasol of Pain: As a Yato, he wields a super-tough umbrella as a weapon. Too bad for him Kamui pierces right through it into his chest.
- Super Strength: Strong enough to hit several holes in a giant metal pipe.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dies very shortly after being introduced and did little of note until then.
Voiced by: Mitsuaki Hoshino
Admiral Abo is the incompetent leader of the Harusame space pirates, though he in reality answers to the so far unseen elders who control the Harusame through him.
- Bad Boss: Willing to execute entire divisions in order to retain his power.
- Dirty Coward: Easily scared by any threats to himself and tries to flee the scene after his plans backfire.
- Fat Bastard: In addition to being fat, he's got no redeeming qualities about him.
- Fat Idiot: As stupid as he's fat.
- Phrase Catcher: Everyone who talks to him are about to call him Admiral Aho (Idiot), but quickly correct it to Abo.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Tries to leave on a ship with Koro after the Harusame turn against them. They don't get far before Kamui shows up and destroys the ship, killing them both.
- Smug Snake: Very self-assured of his own importance.
- Wicked Cultured: Seems to give off the vibe, what with his fancy dining room and all.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Tries to pull it on both Kamui and Takasugi and ends up killed for his efforts.
Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto
Leader of the Harusame space pirates' 8th division.
- The Dragon: He serves as Admiral Abo's main enforcer.
- Eyepatch of Power: Helps making him look like a stereotypical pirate.
- False Friend: Tries to befriend Kamui and become his ally in toppling the admiral, only to reveal he was loyal to the admiral by backstabbing him.
- Hook Hand: Also helps making him look like a stereotypical pirate.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Maybe not hypercompetent, as he can't even pilot a ship on his own, but he is much more competent than the admiral himself.
- Large and in Charge: He's pretty huge and in charge of the 8th Division.
- Petting Zoo People: A humanoid wolf.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Tries to leave on a ship with Abo after the Harusame turn against them. They don't get far before Kamui shows up and destroys the ship, killing them both.
- Wolf Man: Looks like a large humanoid wolf.
Voiced by: Masashi Nogawa
Leader of the 1st division. He has served the Harusame for a long time and is considered to be their oldest veteran. Dubbed the Beast King.
- BFS: His weapon is an absolutely massive sword with five holes through the middle of the blade.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Gets sliced vertically by Kamui from behind with his own weapon!
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Doesn't pay attention to his sword as his soldiers hands him his weapon, allowing Kamui to snatch it and use it to kill him.
- Informed Ability: Abuto has a lot of praise for his abilities, but he doesn't get a chance to show it before he's killed.
- Old Soldier: Abuto calls him the oldest veteran in the Harusame.
- Petting Zoo People: Appears to be some kind of humanoid lion.
- Red Baron: Known as the Beast King.
- Rugged Scar: Has a scar down his right eye to mark him as an experienced veteran of battle.
- The Unfought: Was going to be Umibozu's opponent, only for Kamui to steal his sword, kill him and then take over the fight. Even he doesn't know what just happened when he died.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Only appears for a couple pages across a few scattered chapters until his sudden death.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Umibouzu a worthy opponent and is excited to fight him, but is killed before he gets the chance.
Voiced by: Tomokazu Seki
Leader of the 2nd division, Batou is the best swordsman in the Harusame. Alongside Shoukaku and Hankai he forms the Three Mad Stars, a trio of the most dreaded criminals in the Harusame, among which he holds the nickname Pluto. He used to be a mercenary and fought in the Amanto War on Earth, where he encountered but failed to kill Gintoki.
- Badass Cape: A skilled swordsman wearing a stylish Harusame captain's cape.
- Blood Knight: He hunts down swordsmen on every planet in search of a good fight.
- Combat Clairvoyance: Uses his ability to read his opponents' minds to predict their moves.
- Cyclops: He has three eyes, but two of them are sewn shut. As such he only sees with his third eye.
- Eye Scream: Gintoki ends their fight by bashing his third eye with his wooden sword.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Gets blown in half by an explosion while storming the Altana Liberation Army's mothership Amenotori.
- HeelFace Turn: Joins Kamui and Takasugi in defending Earth from the Altana Liberation Army.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: His ability to read minds with his third eye works too well, as Gintoki projects his killing intent against him like an army of clones. And without his normal eyes to see where Gintoki actually is, he is uselessly swinging his sword in the air against the Gintoki "clones", leaving him wide open for Gintoki to beat him.
- Laser Blade: Wields a beam saber, capable of expanding to ridiculous lengths.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Gintoki specifically targets and injures his right hand as karma for how he severely injured Sakamoto and crippled his right hand, which ended his career as a swordsman. Batou himself is still able to use his right hand however.
- Master Swordsman: Abuto notes him to be the best swordsman in the Harusame.
- Red Baron: Along with the title of Pluto among the Three Wicked Stars, he is also known as the Star Sword King.
- Third Eye: Has an extra eye in the middle of his forehead called the Satori, capable of reading minds. To awaken it he had to seal away his ears and his other eyes.
- Unknown Rival: Obsessed with fighting Gintoki, who doesn't know who Batou is. The reason turns out to be that the two never met and Batou was chasing a different person.
- Worthy Opponent: Holds Gintoki in very high regard from their presumed fight in the past. The truth is that wasn't Gintoki he fought, but his self-proclaimed disciple Pakuyasa. He did however sense Gintoki's powerful killing intent during that fight, making him confuse the two, which is why he didn't kill Pakuyasa and holds him in such high regard.
Voiced by: Kazuhiro Yamaji
Leader of the 3rd division, Hankai is one of the Three Mad Stars alongside Batou and Shoukaku, with the nickname Uranus. Unlike the rest of the Harusame pirates, Hankai has no soldiers in his division, instead making use of nanomachines to take control of the enemy.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His cloak covers his body from the neck down.
- Cyborg: His host body appears to be a cyborg, as his rebreather, visor and high-tech hat are built into his body.
- Expy: His design is a clear shout-out to the "Jinzo" series of cards from Yu-Gi-Oh!.
- HeelFace Turn: Returns as a computer program in the Silver Soul arc and aids the Kiheitai and Harusame with their takeover of the Altana Liberation Army's mothership. Though he is a bit grumpy about having to help those who caused the death of his physical body.
- Keystone Army: After his true body is shot by Sakamoto, all of his nanomachines shut down, freeing the Kaientai crew from his control.
- Nanomachines: Controls a host of nanomachines to take over not only other machines, but also people.
- Nice Hat: Wears a large metallic hat in the shape of the traditional straw hat. Further inspection shows that it's rather high-tech, with tubes and wires underneath.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: Hankai's speech towards Nobunobu actually backfires, as it strengthens his resolve and causes him pull Hankai of his body despite the pain. This allows Sakamoto to shoot him with his defenses down.
- Not Quite Dead: While Sakamoto manages to destroy his real body and seemingly kill him, it's revealed later that he still exists as a copyable computer program, being used to hack into the Altana Liberation Army's mothership.
- One-Way Visor: Wears a high-tech visor connected to his rebreather.
- Puppeteer Parasite: His nanomachines invade people's bodies, allowing him to control them almost like zombies. He also turns out to be one himself as he doesn't have an actual body, instead he's a tiny mechanical being that uses others' bodies as vessels, including Nobunobu.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Nobunobu about how worthless he is and how becoming Shogun has done nothing good for him, despite everybody he's sacrificed for it.
- Robo Speak: He speaks with a robotic voice, as shown by his square speech bubbles.
- The Virus: Hankai takes over the Kaientai with his nanomachines spreading from person to person.
Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama
Leader of the 4th division, Shoukaku is one of the Three Mad Stars alongside Batou and Hankai, with the nickname Neptune.
- Affably Evil: For a dangerous and wanted pirate, Shoukaku is rather friendly, offering Katsura several compliments during their fight and concedes his defeat with grace.
- An Arm and a Leg: Loses his left hand to Katsura's sword.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block: Catches Katsura's sword in one hand and breaks the blade in half.
- Blood Knight: He is rather excited for a fight.
- Clothing Damage: Katsura's grenades blow up his shirt and cloak, though his pants and boots remain undamaged.
- Eat the Bomb: Swallows one of the bombs Katsura throws at him. The worst that happens is that it ruins some of his teeth.
- Graceful Loser: Accepts his defeat against Katsura and orders his men to stand down and not shoot him afterwards.
- Handicapped Badass: Despite losing his left hand in his fight with Katsura, he remains a powerful and dangerous warrior, tearing through his enemies with only his right hand.
- HeelFace Turn: Joins Kamui and Takasugi in defending Earth from the Altana Liberation Army.
- Killer Gorilla: Pretty much a human gorilla and is also a violent and dangerous criminal.
- Lightning Bruiser: Almost like a Yato, he is fast, super strong and ridiculously tough.
- Made of Iron: He is ridiculously tough, managing to swallow one of Katsura's bombs with little trouble and then survives a whole bunch of them while only losing his shirt.
- Monkey King Lite: He has many elements of Sun Wukong, including being a primate-like being (though Shoukaku is a Killer Gorilla rather than a monkey), his joy of combat, and his use of a Simple Staff as his Weapon of Choice.
- Now, That's Using Your Teeth!: Catches Katsura's sword between his teeth during their fight.
- Petting Zoo People: Sorachi's fondness for gorillas shines through here, as Shoukaku is basically just a human gorilla.
- Simple Staff: Carries a staff as his weapon, clearly meant to invoke Sun Wukong.
- Slasher Smile: Flashes an enormously toothed grin when excited.
- Super Strength: Strong enough to throw whole buildings at his enemies and just as easily breaks them apart with his staff.
- Use Your Head: He and Katsura cap off their fight by headbutting each other, with Katsura proving victorious.
- We Have Reserves: Hankai chastises him for wasting his troops recklessly, but he doesnt seem to care.
- Worthy Opponent: Katsura earns his respect during their fight.
The Elders are the true leaders of the Harusame Space Pirates. They are a council of old men who control the organisation through their puppet Admiral Abo. When Kamui kills Abo and takes the position of Admiral for himself, he comes into conflict with the Elders, who take steps to remove him from leadership. While they are not fond of them, they are allied with the mysterious Tendoshu.
- 0% Approval Rating: The Elders are not looked fondly upon by the members of the Harusame, who take steps to replace their puppet admiral Abo with Kamui, and later join up with Utsuro to outright kill them all.
- Board to Death: Their alliance with the Tendoshu backfires when they meet with Utsuro, who proceeds to snatch away control of the entire organisation and then kill all the Elders during the meeting.
- Evil Old Folks: This group of old men control the largest criminal organisation in the galaxy.
- In the Hood: All of the Elders seen cover their heads with black hoods.
- Man Behind the Man: The Elders are the true leaders of the Harusame, controlling the organisation through Admiral Abo.
- Minor Major Character: Despite being the true leaders of the Harusame, they make only one appearance in the series and none of them have any individual characterization.
- No Name Given: None of the Elders are given any names.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: While they are mentioned in several arcs before that, they are killed by Utsuro in their only real appearance at the beginning of the Battle on Rakuyo Arc.