Our protagonist a 40 year old demon hunter initially itching for retirement.
- Bald of Awesome: He's experiencing male patterned baldness and is awesome when he's not depressed or being a jackass.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Gary can actually be surprisingly competent when it comes to demon hunting but his self-loathing and laziness often detracts his skills.
- The Chosen Many: Not alone, but natural demon slayers seem to be uncommon and identifiable via very specific criteria.
- Cool Sword: His signature weapon.
- Failure Knight
- Fat and Skinny: The Skinny to Hanley's Fat.
- It's All About Me: He selfishly thinks he's the most miserable person in the world, making him entitled to hating everyone and everything else.
- Shapeshifting: Type two. An entire episode focuses on him becoming a teenager and he is temporarily transformed into a rat at the end of it.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: Gary is mean to everyone he meets. This stems from his sadness as everything he loved in life is gone, and all he has is his job which brings him constant pain.
- Transformation Sequence: Sis sword and armor pop out of nowhere when he says this phrase:To the distant light I become myself
But a better version of myself
I'm the best!
The woman in charge of the Demon Ministry.
- Sad Clown: She always seems chipper but her life is almost as miserable as Gary's.
The Demon Ministry's science guy.
- The Smart Guy: He's their analyst and scientist.
The demon ministries robotic demon training dummy, adviser and security guard.
Gary's younger brother who has a much better life than Gary.
A young man Gary believes to be the next chosen one.
The defining example of a mirror monster.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheats on her husband with Gary.
A recent mirror monster.