Super High School Level Architect
A kind young man who willingly protects the girl who tries to get everyone killed, at the risk of losing the trust of everyone else. He has a good head on his shoulders, but being in such a situation makes things... more than a little difficult to say the least.
- The Ghost: Hasn't been seen since the first chapter, having sealed herself up in her room, Kaori has mentioned her several times, however.
Super High School Level Concept Artist
A friendly and caring girl with a tendency to mother those around her (whether they want it or not). She tries her hardest to keep everyone happy, but frequently stresses herself out too far, and triggers a migraine headache.
- Almighty Mom: By her second conversation with people, she's checking if they're eating right and sleeping okay.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kaori's temper has yet to fully riled up - often impeded by her headaches - but sooner or later...
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: Though entirely comprised of siblings, Kaori's family is pretty big (numbering 7 people), and although they somehow get along, it's still kinda screwed up.
- Don't Split Us Up: after her mother's death, it was Kaori's older sister Rukia who kept the family together by effectively adopting them all, as she was 18 and legal to do so.
- Team Mom: One of two, the other being Ringo. Even gets referred to as such by Yuurei, who calls her "Kaori-okā".
- Mama Bear: You are all now adopted, and any injury against you will only make Kaori more protective and angry at those at fault (IE, Monopython.)
- Promotion to Parent: Kaori took on a part of this role to her younger siblings, and easily slips into it when encountering anyone who could be sufficiently younger than her.
Super High School Level Exorcist
A tiny, childish albino girl who fancies herself the queen of a kingdom she built out of snow and calls Saintuaire. She's almost always smiling and trying to be friendly— which is rather much spoiled by the way she's repeatedly tried to get everyone killed. Victim of the Fourth case, found buried under snow within her castle, poisoned to death. Notably the only death that didn't require a motive.
- Becoming the Mask: She's lied for so long she has no idea who she is anymore. Or maybe she never did.
- Befriending the Enemy: She tried. Now she's doing her best to work for Monopython instead.
- Believing Their Own Lies: She's been able to convince herself she's telling the truth on a number of occasions.
- Cheerful Child
- Consummate Liar: Literally a professional liar; she's beaten lie detectors before, including a human one— at least in Shizune's Bad End.
- Corrupt the Cutie: What Monopython has done to her.
- Creepy Child: Practically her talent.
- Cute and Psycho: As evidenced in the Bad End of Shizune's case. And the (very near) one of Shinta's.
- Cute Ghost Girl: More literally her talent.
- Denying the Dead Parent's Sins: It's pretty clear her mother was abusive from how she talks about her, but she doesn't seem to hold any malice towards her at all, and will in fact defend her.
- Evil Albino: Depending on your definition of evil, but she does legitimately have albinism, complete with poor health, photophobia, poor vision and all those nice things.
- Evil Laugh: She keeps copying Monopython's hissing giggle. It's creepy.
- Evil Matriarch: Although she's in denial about it.
- Go Mad from the Isolation: As a result, she latched onto the first being who knew her secret and didn't hate her.
- Hates Being Alone: Sleeps with Yuuki most nights to avoid this and tries to have someone with her at all times. Had a breakdown when Rei said she'd be alone on the event of Yuuki's death. Very happy to know that Monopython will always be there.
- Ice Palace: She (and several other students she's coerced into helping her) built one of these in the tundra biome.
- I Love the Dead: Platonically— she has an affinity for corpses and often plays with them.
- I Miss Mom
- I See Dead People: As part of her talent. She talks about "the spirits" a lot. It's actually all an act she's been putting on for eleven years.
- I Want My Mommy!: Sobbed into Kaori's chest during the second motive.
- Lady and Knight: Yuurei and Shouji.
- Let's Duet: Has sung one of these (Hold, Release, Rakshasa and Carcasses) with Monopython before.
- Liar Revealed: Her secret has been slowly coming out. She's surprised more people don't hate her for it.
- Little Miss Con Artist
- Love Makes You Evil: Mostly because of the target of her affections, which lead her to pull a FaceHeel Turn not long into the story.
- Mad Love: Obsessively devoted to Monopython, calling him Python-kami.
- Meaningful Name: The way her name is actually spelled means "roaring radiance, distant jewels of heaven", but people keep spelling it so that it means "timid liar ghost". Otherwise known as her character in a nutshell.
- Moral Event Horizon: With nearly succeeding at getting everyone exploded twice, openly siding with Monopython and saying she wants everyone to die, and convincing Shichiro to try to murder Rei, she's playing jumprope with this.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Said to both Yuuki and Shouji.
- Put Them All Out of My Misery: Part of her rationale for trying to get everyone killed.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: While her eyes are normally pale blue, she angles her head to turn them red when she's angry or going for dramatic effect.
- Stepford Smiler: Smiles a lot more often than she should.
- Taking the Heat: Framed herself successfully for Shizune's murder in the Bad End. Tried very hard to do the same for Shinta's.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- Why Can't I Hate You?: Yuurei to Shouji.
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?: Said often by her mother.
- Winter Royal Lady: After the tundra biome was unlocked, she declared herself the queen of it. No one has contested her claim, though several students don't recognise it.
A small, hot blooded boy with only one eye, Shichiro is a force to be reckoned with, his temper making up for his lack of height. He's often over emotional, going from anger to embarrassment and back again in the blink of an eye. He's also easily flustered and says a lot of stupid things, see quote for an example.. He didn't seem to care much for the killing game, only helping out trials and shouting at everyone, but chapter three has made this personal. Revealed to be the mastermind for the game, given admin powers by Tetsuo and slowly being corrupted by Monopython's code. He gets better.
- An Arm and a Leg: Lost one of his arms while going on a hard mode run in the temple. Fortunately, Monopython is "generous" enough to supply him with an artificial one...that it can take control of.
- Berserk Button: Harming his now Deceased boyfriend Shinta, or threatening him in anyway was enough to set him off to the point of trying to kill Yuuki, who had attacked Shinta while he was still alive. He also attempt to kill Yuurei when she was messing with Shinta's corpse. Less violent example is anyone referring to him with "-chan" Don't do it. Also. Do not call him short.
- Break the Badass: When Shinta died, Shichiro spent a good chunk of the investigation period moping around and/or attacking people.
- Chaotic Stupid: AND HOW. Currently, he's fallen into the Oasis, fallen twice into the Frozen Lake, he's eaten poisonous berries, and he's continuously throwing himself into the jungle temple amongst other things. How he hasn't died from sheer stupidity is a mystery.
- Easily Forgiven: Rei has somehow found it in her to forgive Shichiro for the gardening shears attack. They seem to be friends of sorts now.
- Hot-Blooded: He's almost always shouting at things, raring to go at anyone. His enthusiasm for the dangers of the jungle temple is also unmatched.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Threw off Yuurei's entire plan to attack Rei when he rushed at her with a pair of gardening shears instead of waiting for the signal. Also see Chaotic Stupid.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Especially when angry. Often there's a curse every few words.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Is actually not Nakamura Shichi, but his sister Saichiko, who took his identity following a shoot out that resulted in his death, caused by Saichiko being kidnapped.
- The Nicknamer: Never addresses Monopython with it's actual name, preferring to use ridiculous phrases such as: Overgrown Shoelace, Buffed up Twist Tie, Black and White Used Bandaid, Monochrome Poolnoodle (Or just Poolnoodle), Scaly Pipecleaner, Peppery Noodle, String Cheese, Bendy Pencil, and Spaghetti Squiggle.
A helpful young lady with the knowledge of over 50 languages under her belt. Despite the horrifying circumstances she has found herself in, she fully believes that she and her classmates will find a way to escape (After they figure out that trying to murder each other is stupid, that is). Though usually empathetic to other's suffering, and attempts to solve all potential conflicts civilly, the above quote shows that if your push her to the limit, prepare for a tongue lashing.
- Good Is Not Soft
- Fiery Redhead: A minor example, but she can get very fierce when it comes to trying to stop fights.
- Hard Work Hardly Works In regards to her backstory, where even her greatest efforts resulted in sub-par grades academically, much to the disappointment of her parents.
- Lady Swearsalot: Becomes this gradually through the game, culminating with a loud multilingual stream of sailor words when Shichi is revealed as mastermind.
- Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds: When she accidentally performed the command to drain the Ocean Biome.... while three of her classmates and Monopython were in an untethered sphere floating in the middle of it. ...Thankfully said sphere was just large enough to plug the drain.
- Nice Girl
- Plucky Girl : Not even The revelation that the boy she just confessed her feelings to was the culprit of the case can keep her depressed for long.
- Punny Name: Her full name is a pun on the Japanese word for "stop" (Tomare = Toma Rei)
- The Watson: In regards to Shinta, often explaining clues and testimonies in trials while Shinta is attempting to find the culprit. That is, until Shinta is found dead, and Rei becomes one of the primary investigators of the remaining students.
Super High School Level Seiyuu
A excitable, yet rude pink-haired girl who's a tremendous voice actor, but also believes that she's a kitty magical girl! Murderer in the second case, having poisoned Shizune after deciding her to be a threat to her classmate's well being
- Magical Girl: Kikyo really and truly believes that she's the incarnation of the magical girl Super Kitty☆Mew Mew, of whom she voice acts for... as such, Kikyo acts like a magical girl who's trying to protect everyone from danger!
- Stuff Blowing Up: Her execution, where she was strapped to a firework which was then lit by Super Kitty Mew Mew's arch-Nemesis, Queen Woof
- Cat Smile: A face that Kikyo makes quite frequently, as she has a immense love for cats. :3c
Super High School Level Trivia Quiz Champion
A small, very childish girl, with a sweet tooth, old-fashioned mannerisms, and an excellent memory for facts. She's a nice person, but often has trouble telling reality from fiction.
- Adorably Precocious Child: She's incredibly smart for her age, but is at the emotional developmental level of a small child.
- Antiquated Linguistics
- Alice Allusion: Her clothes, name, and speech patterns are all this.
- Artistic Licence Biology: Believes Monopython to be a rhinoceros, or perhaps a manticore.
- Big Eater:"Taking a scoop of the ice cream labelled chocolate, because Alice had had chocolate before, and it had been absolutely wonderful, she put in one of the provided pots before deciding it looked awfully lonely, and then proceeded to supplement it with two scoops each of chocolate mint, strawberry, vanilla, and then another scoop of chocolate just for good measure"
- Cannot Tell Fiction from Reality: Believes that pretty much anything she's ever read about is real.
- Cheerful Child: Almost always has a smile on her face.
- Children Are Innocent
- Constantly Curious
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Cute Bookworm
- Gratuitous English: A Japanese girl with an English name.
- Innocently Insensitive: Has a very wavy grasp on social norms.
- Innocent Prodigy: Incredibly clever, but also very naive and childlike.
- Mood-Swinger: Like a toddler, can go from joyful to tears and back again in the span of a few minutes.
- Mr. Imagination: Likes to narrate her own actions as if she's in a storybook.
- Photographic Memory: Remembers everything she's ever read.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness
- Smart People Wear Glasses
- Spelling Bee: Enjoys competing in these.
- Sweet Tooth:Alice: "I do declare that this ice-cream is by far the most delicious thing I have ever eaten in my entire life! I dont think I shall ever taste something so delightful as long as I live, even if I were to spend every single day in a sweetshop!"
- Teen Genius: Like most of the cast, far more intelligent than one would expect from her age, with a nearly flawless memory and vast repertoire of knowledge.
- Third-Person Person:"Alice" she said out loud to herself, in a clear and firm voice. "Thought to herself that the place she was in seemed rather agreeable, if perhaps slightly humid."
- Wide-Eyed Idealist