WARNING: Byakko Ibun is a prequel to Fushigi Yuugi: Byakko Senki, therefore, this place will have massive spoilers Further more: wiki policies don't allow to spoiler tag tropes in themselves, so merely checking on the folder contents will result in viewing unmarked spoilers. You have been warned.
open/close all folders
- Dark and Troubled Past: He's all but stated to be the Sole Survivor of his family, with everyone else falling victim to a powerful curse that his father tried to brew but fatally backfired on ALL of them.
- Inter Generational Friendship: A man in his 20's bonds with a 10-year-old girl, to the point of refusing to give her a Mercy Kill when she begs him to while in her tiger form, and giving her a Cooldown Hug once she reverts to her human one.
- Magic Knight: A very powerful spellcaster, who mostly uses curses and paper talismans.
- Momma's Boy: Implied to have been one, since the "Neiran" name he gives to Reipin is his mom's and he carried around a bunch of clothes that belonged to her, which he then gives to Neiran
- The Reveal: The handsome, kind and stoic Nirusha is... the terrible Miboshi from the original Fushigi Yuugi. Whaaaaaaa...?
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: At first, he and Neiran fit in VERY well in a friendshippy way. Subverted when she's hit with the mother of all Break the Cutie, however, and he's the one who brings her back from her nasty Heroic BSoD.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Is stand-offish and cold at first sight, but Neiran manages to unlock the kindness under said facade.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: As seen in the main page's illustration.
- Two-Faced: When his full face is shown at the end of the first chapter, one can see that the left side is full of dark marks. Like a tiger's aka the animals he hunts down. He covers it up with both a turban and his bangs.
Reipin aka. Neiran
- Abusive Parents: As seen below.
- Adrenaline Makeover: After Nirusha gives her some very cute clothes that belonged to his Missing Mom, a Meaningful Rename and a protective charm, Neiran walks into her village and abusive household with an air of newfound confidence.
- Badass Adorable: As Reipin, she's introduced wrestling a tiger that was roaming around the village and actually was her abusive older brother, and later she goes hunt down another with horrible consequences.
- Break the Cutie: First, she's horribly abused by her family. Second, it takes quit the effort to befriend Nirusha. Third, and right after she does manage to approach Nirusha and his influence gives more self-confidence and hope for the future... in an attempt to help her Only Friend, she kills her mother who was about to rescue her from her terrible life. Fourth, her father reveals to her the truth behind her origins right after her mom's death. Fifth, after all of that her Voluntary Shapeshifter powers kick in and she loses it. When all is said and done, it's no wonder that she stays in her tiger form and tearfully begs Nirusha to kill her and use her bones in his talismans to break the curse, since she feels she's been completely bloodstained and defiled.
- The Nose Knows: Said to have an uncannily good sense of smell, which lets her find medicinal herbs easily and track Nirusha down without any other leads. One of the first hints to her actual heritage as a member of the Half-Human Hybrids group.
- The Pollyanna: Despite the truly horrid life she leads, Neiran remains happy and cheerful. Until she unknowingly kills her actual mother.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her tigress mother's magical pendant and Nirusha's severed ear.
- Walking the Earth: She decides to do this as an alternative to dying for killing her family and burning the village.
- Abusive Parents: They treat her like a slave, beat her bloody, force her to work after beating her, and don't feed her adequately. Her older brother is also strongly implied to have sexually abused her.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin': Since they treated Neiran like shit through all of her life, they became her first victims when she snapped. Not that anyone would feel sorry for them.
- Too Dumb to Live: The dad fathered a Half-Human Hybrid child with a shapeshifting tiger who told him to raise her well and, if he didn't, Mama Tiger will return and kill him and his family? He started to treat the little bastard child like shit, of course! Oh and mocking her mother and insulting the child will not have any consequences for him...
The Roaming Tiger
- Intellectual Animal: She's implied to be as smart as humans, if not even more. Confirmed when she's seen to be perfectly capable of human speech and trains of thoughts, even as she's dying at the hands of her half-human kiddo.
- Panthera Awesome: A sleek, beautiful specimen of her species. She is actually a tigress able to shapeshift into a human woman - and does so when she's shot down by her own daughter who doesn't know who she is, taking up her human form as she's dying.
- Walking Spoiler: And H O W.