open/close all folders
The Gecko Brothers
"I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fuckin' bastard."
- Affably Evil: He's an amoral thief, but he doesn't kill people he doesn't have to, can usually be counted on to keep his word and tries to avoid innocents being harmed.
- Anti-Hero: Seth is not a good person. He's a convicted criminal with blood on his hands who just so happens to be less prone to violence than his brother Richie.
- Awful Wedded Life: If his comment on Santánico's proposal of making him her slave has anything to say about it.
Santánico: "Welcome to slavery."
Seth: "No thanks. I already had a wife."
- Deadpan Snarker: Being a criminal in a movie written by Quentin Tarantino makes this a given.
- Determinator: Seth will stop at nothing to get what he wants.
- Drowning My Sorrows: When the group gets to the Titty Twister.
- More so after he stakes Richie. Jacob even has to tell him to knock it off with the drinking lest they be one man down when all hell breaks loose.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He really cares about and is remarkably patient with Richie.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Seth might be a crook and a killer, but he has his standards and is outraged by the discovery of Richie raping and killing their hostage.
Do you think this is what I am? This is not me, I am a professional fucking thief, I don't kill people that I don't have to.....and I DON'T FUCKING RAPE WOMEN! What you you are doing, what you are fucking doing, what you are doing, IS NOT HOW IT'S DONE!
- Evil Sounds Deep: He's an amoral thief and killer with a intimidating raspy voice.
- HeelFaith Turn: He sees the light after his first encounter with the vampires.
- I Gave My Word: When Seth makes a promise, he will keep it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Downplayed. He's an aggressive prick to just about everyone, but in the end he proves that deep down he's not a completely heartless. He even shows sympathy towards Kate, seeing how her entire family was slaughtered by the vampires.
- Noble Demon: See the page quote.
- Pet the Dog: He shows genuine sympathy towards Kate after she loses her family and gives her several wads of cash before the two of them part ways.
- Silver Fox: He may be a complete bastard but he's still played by George Clooney.
- Tattooed Crook: He's a professional thief with some pretty sweet tattoos.
- Thicker Than Water: Richie causes Seth problems, but he loves him and protects him regardless.
- Weirdness Censor: Defied. Seth instantly realizes the situation they're in and doesn't want to waste time being skeptical.
Now I don't wanna hear "I don't believe in vampires." Because I don't fucking believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what I saw was fucking vampires.
Richard "Richie" Gecko
- Ambiguous Disorder: He has literal delusions, so he's probably meant to be mentally ill. Which illness is another thing.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: After the initial fight with the vampires that he is killed in he turns into a vampire and is put down for good by Seth.
- Asshole Victim: The only person who mourns his death is his brother.
- Ax-Crazy: He kills innocent people on a whim.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Just because he's more quiet than his brother doesn't mean he should be underestimated. He's much, much worse than him.
- Cloudcuckoolander: He doesn't seem to be on the same plane of reality as everyone else.
- Easily Forgiven: Seth's reaction to his brother having raped and murdered their hostage while he was gone quickly fades from disgusted to 'don't do that again' and then hugs him and forgives him... sort of justified because we're apparently supposed to be shocked at the mildness of his reaction. It is also used to show Seth's blind love for his brother, as well as the fact that Seth is much more rational.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He may be reprehensible but he does seem to genuinely care about Seth. After his murder of Gloria, he seems more upset about making Seth angry than what he did His last words before going full vampire are even "I love you too, Seth".
- Faux Affably Evil: He attempts to show kindness and seems sincere but it gets undercut by his violent nature.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Wears glasses and is a thousand times more evil than his brother.
- Obliviously Evil: There are implications that Richie genuinely doesn't understand why his actions are wrong and his behavior is at least partially due to whatever mental illness he suffers from.
- Psychopathic Manchild: He's a rapist and murderer who comes across as bizarrely childlike at times.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: He's a serial rapist.
- Sacrificial Lion: Is killed midway through the movie by vampires before the group fully realizes what's going on.
- Serial Rapist: The news report shown identifies him as a sex offender.
- Stupid Evil: To put it bluntly, most of the chaos the Geckos leave behind on-screen is Richie's fault and if there is one thing Seth hates about Richie is the fact that he has to clean up Richie's messes.
- Wild Card: Richie's deranged nature makes him impossible to predict, which causes some problems for Seth when he rapes and kills their original hostage.
The Fuller Family
- And Then John Was a Zombie: He ends up getting bitten and turned into a vampire.
- Badass Preacher: He becomes one at the end of the movie.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: He threatens to shoot himself after being bitten and knowing that he will turn into a vampire, unless his family promises to kill him after the turn.
- Cool Old Guy
- Crisis of Faith: He is undergoing one after the death of his wife. Seth tells him to get his act together so he has the power to bless their weapons against the vampires.
- Dying as Yourself: After he is bitten by the vampires, he makes his children promise him to put him down when he turns. Unfortunately, when that time comes Scott hesitates and gets himself killed.
- The Mourning After: He's first introduced as a man mourning the death of his wife.
- Papa Wolf: Makes it clear to Seth Gecko that he will kill Richie if the latter tries to rape his daughter.
- Final Girl: She's the only survivor of the massacre besides Seth.
- Lust Object: Her innocent yet beautiful looks give her an apple pie sensuality that causes her to be lusted after by various hoodlums.
- Nice Girl: Kate is presented as one, and fails to understand her father's Crisis of Faith. And while she doesn't exactly mourn Richie's death, she does express some sympathy for Seth given that he had to kill his own brother.
- Took a Level in Badass: At the beginning of the vampire segment, she's hesitant to kill them. Toward the end, she kills her own brother before he can be turned into one.
Played By: Ernest Liu
- Cruel and Unusual Death: He ends up mauled by several vampires before getting blasted to pieces.
- Mistaken for Gay: When Gecko encounters an older man in a hotel room with a young Asian male, he draws entirely the wrong conclusion.
- Not So Above It All: He shares his father's (former) Christian beliefs but he's still a teenager, who can't help being Distracted by the Sexy lapdancers in the Titty Twister.
Titty Twister Patrons
Played By: Fred Williamson
- Badass Biker
- Nice Guy: Hes generally friendly and affable towards everyone else.
- Off with His Head!: Seth uses his whip to pop his head off...but this doesn't kill him rather mutates his body into a rat like form. He's ultimately done in by Kate firing some arrows into him.
- Phallic Weapon: Literally. He literally has a gun strapped to his groin that actually comes in handy.
- Whip It Good: His Weapon of Choice.
- Zombie Infectee: He ends up getting bitten by one of the patrons reviving before he can finish burning the body. At first, he brushes it off as nothing until he suddenly hears a voice telling him to kill the others. Next thing he knows, he suddenly gains fangs and his hands mutate into claws. He tries to hide it but ultimately turns and bites Frost from behind.
- The Baroness: Oh hell yes. So much so that she currently provides the page quote for this trope.
- Big Bad: Of the first film. Unusually, she dies just before the movie's climax.
- Butterface: Very briefly, when she reveals her vampire form while gloating about what she will do to Seth. She has a bald, scaled head with long fangs and red eyes, but her body still remains voluptuous as ever.
- Character Title: In the third movie, she is the titular Hangman's Daughter.
- Dhampyr: In the third movie, it's revealed that she is the half-breed daughter of the previous vampire queen with a hangman.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Goes barefoot, to the fetishistic Richie's (and Tarantino's) delight.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: From a simple hangman's humble daughter to a powerful and fearsome vampire queen. Who could have seen this coming?
- Gratuitous Spanish: Her name, although it is quite of an idiomatic trainwreck. Not only her first name is canonically badly spelled (the word is "Satánico", not "Santánico"), but it has also the wrong gender (a title for a female would be "Satánica", not "Satánico").
- Ms. Fanservice: Her iconic snake dance while wearing a skimpy outfit in the first movie.
- Spicy Latina
- The Vamp: Literally.
- Large Ham: Particularly during his "pussy" sales pitch.
- Exact Words: He allows the group to stay in the bar after learning that Jacob technically qualifies as a trucker.