open/close all folders
Melaka "Mel" FrayA professional 'grabber', or thief with an unusual talent for getting out of the trouble her job inevitably gets her into.
- Action Girl: Even before she's revealed as the Slayer, Fray is a 'grabber' engaged with dangerous jobs and no stranger to serious action.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Her twin brother, Harth, was taken by Icarus and she's still upset about it, feeling it was her fault.
- Bare Your Midriff: Every one of her outfits.
- Bar Brawl: She gets into one with a part-machine bully.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Urkonn seeks her out after she's chosen.
- Catapult Nightmare: Awakens from one about Harth.
- The Chosen One: She's a slayer, after all.
- The Chosen Zero: On the other hand, Mel's morals are iffy and her commitment to the job wavers. She doesn't have all the powers of a Slayer - while she has the strength and speed, the prophetic dreams went to her twin brother, who thought they were just nightmares. Because in her time many people are mutants or have taken to modifying their bodies with cybernetics or genetic treatments, she doesn't stand out that much.
- Deadpan Snarker: She's Joss Whedon character; it should be expected.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl
- Multicolored Hair: Blue with pinks tips.
- Parental Abandonment
- Snark-to-Snark Combat
- Training from Hell
- Twin Tropes
Erin FrayMelaka's older sister and a cop. The two are estranged due to the death of Mel's twin on a 'grab', which Erin correctly suspects Mel goaded him into joining. Cool-headed and rule-bound.
- Fair Cop
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Hears Fray out after she finds out what actually happened to Harth, and later brings in other members of the police who are getting sick of the vampires. Continues into Season 12; while she does initially threaten the Scoobies at gunpoint when they arrive in the future, she actually stops and listens to them so they can explain why they've come, while Fray just straight-up attacks Buffy.
Harth FrayMel's twin brother, who was killed by Icarus while they were out stealing together as children. However, Harth had received the Slayer's dreams when Mel received the powers, and knew enough to swallow some of his killer's blood to turn himself into a vampire. Because of this, he knows much more about vampirism than even the existing vampires and parleys himself into their leader.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Icarus turned him, but he became the leader of Icarus' entire sect.
- Assimilation Backfire: In the final issue of Season 12, Buffy and Willow try to even the odds by using the Scythe to concentrate the power of all active Slayers into Buffy herself... only for Harth to jump in and take it all for himself. However, he's ultimately overwhelmed by all the Slayer memories and the strain of the power, which Buffy and Fray use to their advantage to stake him.
- Big Bad: Of the Fray miniseries. He also serves as such in the Buffy Season Twelve comics.
- Conqueror from the Future: In the Season Twelve miniseries. He shows up, at first planning to gather power and go back to his time to conquer it, but eventually decides to remain in the past and conquer everything.
- Creepy Child: Comes part and parcel with being a vampire.
- Dark Messiah: The other vampires refer to him as The One Who Will Lead, because he's the one who knows what they are (thanks to his Slayer heritage), and what they can become.
- I Can Rule Alone: In Season 12, he joins forces with a slew of demons, including a resurrected Mayor Wilkins, to conquer the world. When Illyria sacrifices herself to force most of them into a portal to a hell dimension, Wilkins remarks it works in their favor, as that means there's much less to share after they Take Over the World. Harth agrees with his point... and promptly chops his head off.Harth: The future's mine, you idiot! You think I'm going to share it?
- Recessive Super Genes: The principle is there; he's the twin brother of a Slayer, born with no Slayer abilities. But something wasn't quite right about him from birth...
- Villainous Incest: He goes as far as to lay a kiss on Mel and talk about how much he loves her while beating her senseless.
UrkonnMel's Watcher, who happens to be a demon. The human Watcher's Council has dwindled in numbers in the centuries since the last Slayer fell, leaving one survivor who burnt himself alive after meeting Fray. Urkonn is sent by his demonic masters to make up the difference.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Willing to use pretty extreme methods to ensure Fray is ready. No, we're not talking Training from Hell here- we mean killing Fray's friends and frames the vampires to properly motivate her.
- Super Drowning Skills: Is unable to swim, something Mel takes advantage of when she fights him at the end of the story.
- Would Hurt a Child: Kills Loo, whom Fray considers to be an unofficial little sister, and then claims the vampires did it so that she would fight all that harder against Harth.
IcarusA vampire, or 'lurk' by Mel's time, who killed Mel's twin Harth. Runs a gang of fellow vampires who obey him without question.
GuntherMel's boss, who sends her on 'grabs' and pays her for what she steals.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Gunther is the end result of mutations caused by solar radiation.