open/close all folders
The Students Collectively
Tropes applying to the 21 students
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: When Akita dies, Ayano takes over as the protagonist.
- When Ayano gets too injured to narrate, Takayuki is the newest person to take the role of protagonist.
- Then, when Ayano has a period of despair, Hotaru takes over as the narrator for the rest of the fourth after trial.
- After Ayano dies in chapter six, the point of view changes between Hotaru, Hayato, and Yasu.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Some view the relationship between Naoko and Takayuki as this.
- The Cameo: During Akita's nightmares, Matoko and Junko appear to show her inner fight between hope and despair and remaining neutral.
- Cast of Snowflakes: Lampshaded. One of the chapters in the prologue is even called this.
- Character Development: This is a story based off Danganronpa after all. Of course, there's gonna be development!
- Clothing Damage: Not the sexual kind. Since Monokuma does not give them anything else to wear, their clothes get more and more damaged and dirty as the story goes on.
- Also during Cassius's execution. It is stated that, much like Kirumi's, that his clothes get more and more damaged as the execution continues. Kira as well when she tries to save him.
- Ditzy Genius: Basically everybody in the investigation team other than Takayuki.
- Death of Personality: Hinted at. This is suggested to be what happens to some people thanks to the Personality Experiments, such as Sae Emiya and Chiyo Jinya who have been completely erased from reality.
- Dwindling Party: Because it is Danganronpa. All of your favorite characters are gonna to die.
- Evil Duo: Played around with using the duos of Kaneshiro and Akemi and Ayano Kirigiri and Kira.
- A House Divided: Like the original games, Monokuma's Killing Game has this effect.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Some characters, like Naoko, fit this trope.
- Last-Name Basis: Once again, some of the characters, like Hayato and Miyuki, only refer to characters by the last name, except if they are asked to directly or know the person personally.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: During the first investigation, the characters split up to travel more ground.
- Limited Wardrobe: The cast only has one outfit and they comment that they smell and look awful.
- The Lost Lenore: Oh boy.
- Akita since Minato was in love with her. Too bad she's the first victim.
- Kazuhiko is the one who killed Akita, and he gets executed in front of his girlfriend, Ayano, who is Forced to Watch.
- Based on your interpretation of their relationship, Kyoto can be yet another one for Ayano.
- Cassius is this to Kira. Kira tried to kill herself, but then Cassius gets manipulated by Monokuma to use her suicide setup to kill Shinichi instead. Not only does Kira have to live with the fact that she watched Cassius died and tried to save him from his execution, but now she has to live with the guilt that it is technically her fault.
- There are hints that Cassius is this to Hayato. Mostly because of Hayato's events during the third chapter. He even wanted to save Kira just because it was what Cassius would have wanted, which involved killing another student.
- Takayuki has two: Akita and Naoko. Don't be a love interest for Takayuki, it never ends well.
- Poor Namita. She was in a secret relationship with her girlfriend, Miyuki, got found out, and now her girlfriend is dead. And she was forced to kill her by Kaneshiro.
- Misery Builds Character: Oh boy. Indeed it does for a lot of characters in this story.
- Odd Friendship: Some people view the friendship between Minato and Akita as this. Minato is an overly naive traveler, while Akita is a cynic that usually hates people like Minato. And they're close friends!
- Then there is Takayuki and Naoko. Takayuki is overaggressive and impulsive, not afraid to speak his mind, while Naoko is an overly shy girl that doesn't view herself in a high matter and cannot take criticism. And yet they work well together.
- Ayano and Hotaru. This is even lampshaded by the fact that the author jokes about it being the biggest plot twist in chapter four.
- One Steve Limit: Averted. Cassius and Kira share the title of Ultimate Jeweler. There is also Ayano Nishiki and Ayano Kirigiri, a participant and head of the Committee respectively. There's also Takayuki and Miyuki's nickname of "Yuki", which both respond to. Played Straight with Cassius being the third in his family with the entire name.
- Power Trio: Surprisingly none of the main characters are in the trio. The people that do the most during the trials, and keep the students together, is the trio of Tsukiko, Namita, and Miyuki, all of which are side characters.
- Now there's one with the protagonist! Ayano, Yasu, and Mirabilis are now working together secretly to find out who is the true mastermind. There's also the fact that it is highly hinted that the mastermind doesn't know that this is happening!
- Another has formed with the three remaining students: Hayato, Hotaru, and Yasu. They have to stick with each other because they are the only people they have left.
- Properly Paranoid: Of Mirabilis's wand.
- The Protagonist: Akita Yamazaki is this.
- Just kidding, Akita is the first victim and Ayano Nishiki takes over.
- Recurring Element: Because it isn't Dangan Ronpa if all the games don't have so many similarities.
- Much like the franchise its' based off, multiple girls' names end with -ko.
- Namely, Naoko, Tsukiko, Hanako Kawabata, Hanako Tezuka, and Yumiko.
- Two characters share a name in some form.
- Both Ayano Nishiki and Ayano Kirigiri, you guessed it, share the name Ayano!
- The protagonist has an ahoge.
- Much like the franchise its' based off, multiple girls' names end with -ko.
- Serious Business: Kira and Cassius are really, really passionate over their shared talent of being the Ultimate Jeweler. Hilarity Ensues.
- Ship Tease: It wouldn't be part of the Committee Saga if it didn't have ship teases everywhere.
- Just to name a few with Akita, there's Akita/Takayuki, Akita/Mitsuru, and Akita/Minato. Then there are other ships that get a lot of backing from canon like Takayuki/Naoko, Mirabilis/Naoko, and Kira/Cassius. Then there is actually an Official Couple, Ayano/Kazuhiko.
- Special Person, Normal Name: Many of the students have a common first name or surname, even though they're the best at what they do. Lampshaded by Akita concerning her surname.
- Teen Genius: Basically everyone, in one way or another.
- Special shout outs to Naoko and Kyoto, whose talents revolve around this.
- Wacky Homeroom: To say that the cast is quirky is an understatement...and things tend to get very chaotic very quickly.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Everybody because of the world that they had to grow up in. Since this is a world still recovering, things are still quite shit.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Oh boy, a lot of characters have an unnatural hair color.
Ultimate Mediator Ringleader
"Name's Akita Yamazaki. Ultimate Mediator at your service. I guess I've been promoted to the protagonist of this story. Now that's something I wasn't expecting."The protagonist and narrator. She has given the title of Ultimate Mediator by looking at various gangs and businesses in Japan. Akita is quite jaded to the world but still has a sense of humor.
- Aborted Arc: A justified example. It was originally intended for Akita to murder Kazuhiko, but it was abandoned after someone saw right through the Foreshadowing.
- Action Girl: Although Akita cannot run that well, she still punches Takayuki. She is also one of the only people that can withstand Mitsuru's punches.
- She later punches Kazuhiko in the face as well.
- Advertised Extra: She was viewed to be the protagonist, but she is the first victim. Bye, Akita.
- Affectionate Nickname: In the character previews, some of the characters, like Naoko, gave Akita the nickname of Aki.
- Anti-Hero: Akita is not exactly the best person. She has a bad habit of punching people and making things way harder than they have to be in the game.
- Ambiguous Disorder: There is quite a lot of evidence in the story that Akita suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder due to her past. She does have split personalities, a bad memory, a tendency to get way to overly defensive, and holes in her memory as well. She also has hints of other disorders, like how her relationships change a lot, leaving a lot of people around her confused. And there are hints that she suffers from delusions and hallucinations. So, all in all, it is not fun being Akita.
- Averted. It is actually made canon during the Valentine's Day special of all things. Then it was made canon in the actual story in chapter three.
- Amateur Sleuth: Works with Takayuki on his cases. Though it is not seen much during the game since she dies first. Word of God states that she would have actually been helpful once the case convinced her to help them.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Ayano notes that Akita is the personification of chaos itself.
- Asshole Victim: As the first victim, and revealing a lot about her, Akita can be viewed as this.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfit is shown to expose her belly button. Her shorts only go to about her belly button and her shirt is nowhere close.
- Bi the Way: Has a pretty obvious crush on Mitsuru and even calls Cassius good looking. The author reveals that Akita is indeed bisexual.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Akita breaks the fourth wall all the time in her narration, to the point that some compare her to Deadpool.
- Bungled Suicide: Zig-zagged. After stabbing herself several times, Akita is still alive until Kazuhiko hits her with a baseball bat, killing her.
- The Cynic: Akita tells herself that her classmates are going to kill each other, even though the game was just announced.
- Dark and Troubled Past: In the prologue alone, it is revealed that Akita has been tortured and had a teacher she was close to dying. Then there are all the hints...
- To clarify... From what we know from canon, Akita was born into a loving household and grew up with her cousin, Hideyoshi, and Childhood Friend Takayuki. Somewhere between all of the events, Akita's teacher, Nicole, died from cancer. Then something happens to Hideyoshi and he kidnaps her where he forces Akita to rip out her own fingernails, whether or not this is where she lost her hands is debatable. Then Word of God states that Hideyoshi actually raped Akita as well. For some reason, there are multiple versions of Akita, possibly to recover from this trauma. One of these versions works for Matoko Kirigiri in the Future Foundation, while the main personality is teamed up with Takayuki. Possibly Akita felt in despair during these events, since she is shown to be sane with Matoko, and then her memories possibly wiped. The Committee also gives her a fake Ultimate talent during all of this, Mediator. Then Kazuhiko, figuring all of this out, makes an article about Akita, destroying their relationship forever. And then she gets forced into a Killing Game where she's the first to die. Overall, it is not fun to be Akita.
- Deadpan Snarker: Might as well be Akita's talent.
- Decoy Protagonist: Akita is this, as she dies in the first chapter and is the victim.
- Devoted to You: To Mitsuru. Much to Mitsuru's annoyance.
- Embarrassing First Name: How Akita feels about having the same name as a dog.
- Fauxshadow: Directly a result of her Aborted Arc. Akita was the original first murderer but was found out by a reader. Turned into a Bait-and-Switch with Kazuhiko murdering her rather than the reverse.
- Go Out with a Smile: Subverted. Although Akita was smiling in her death, it is revealed that it is because of the despair.
- Happily Failed Suicide: Zig-zagged. She is smiling in death and was murdered, but it's revealed she was already trying to kill herself before being killed.
- Hearing Voices: Whenever Aki or Akiza talk to her, not in her dreams, they come out as voices.
- Hidden Depths: Akita is very heavily implied to have a severe mental illness and is confirmed bisexual by the creator. She also seems to have had a hard life. During her Sanity Slippage, one of her alters calls her out for hiding her emotional pain behind jokes, anger, and obsession. Just really how much do we know about Akita? All we know are lies she told to herself and others.
- In-Series Nickname: In the character previews, some of the characters call her Aki. Monokuma has given her the nickname of Bitch-chan, which Satoshi also hints at during the previews.
- Interrupted Suicide: By Kazuhiko, who bashed her head with a baseball bat.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Akita is very standoffish and jaded, leading her to be rude to her classmates and often violent. Though she does care about them and doesn't want to see them get killed...except for possibly Kazuhiko and Takayuki. She is even friends with Minato and always saves them from trouble. She does want to have friends but her dark past and hinted mental disorders make it hard to do so, making her truly treasure the one friendship that she can actively keep, Minato.
- Lost Lenore: She is Minato's love interest. She also happens to be the first victim.
- Meaningful Name: Akita's name is one of a dog's. This may symbolize her relationship with the Committee. Even Monokuma notices this and starts calling her Bitch-chan.
- Mediator: Subverted. What Akita is supposed to be doing but decides not to. Averted. The first Monokuma File refers to Chiyo Jinya as the Ultimate Mediator, leaving Akita's true Ultimate unknown. That is until it's revealed to be the Ultimate Ringleader... which she made up. Yes, the real Akita Yamazaki isn't even an Ultimate.
- Ms. Fanservice: Akita herself has pointed out that she is supposed to be hot and wears revealing clothing. Even though she still questions why Satoshi likes her because of the scar.
- Taken Up to Eleven by Akiza, a doppelgänger of Akita within her dreams whose clothing is even more revealing.
- Mysterious Past: She is the protag, yet there are still many questions. How did she get that scar? Why is she so mad at Kazuhiko? What is her deal with Hideyoshi? And how does Ms. Torr have anything to do with the Killing Game? For added mystery, why is she the Ultimate Mediator when she doesn't even do her job and apparently has split personalities?
- Only Friend: This is what Minato is to her.
- Properly Paranoid: Akita is paranoid about the Killing Game, but, since she has been hinted to be tortured to the point of having a permanent scar before, this seems justified. And you already know that people are going to start killing each other due to the nature of this work.
- Repulsive Ringmaster: Played with. The real Akita Yamazaki is the self-proclaimed Ultimate Ringleader and appears to be obsessed with despair. Averted in the Christmas special, where she seems to be much more playful rather than antagonistic.
- Scars Are Forever: She has a large scar covering about half her face that is hinted to be caused by gang violence.
- Ship Tease: With both Mitsuru and Takayuki.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: To say Akita swears a lot is like saying that water is wet.
- Split Personality: Akita has multiple split personalities displayed during her time alive. They're Akiza, Aki, Sae, Chiyo, and possibly Izumi.
- Took a Level in Cynic: Hinted at. Akita used to be more energetic, and oddly a lot like Hotaru from the limited information provided. Then Hideyoshi decided to kidnap her...
- Unreliable Narrator: Akita is hinted to be this. Like Kazuhiko is not a monster, but she calls him one.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Type B.
Ultimate Child Prodigy
"My-my name? Naoko Kawabata...Y-you can just call me Nao...I am the Ultimate Child Prodigy. Um...my memory is the only thing I'm proud of. He he..."Naoko is a child genius that has created multiple different theories and thesis papers about various topics. She is quite shy and does not hold herself in a high regard.
- Abusive Parents: It's heavily implied that Naoko's father is abusive towards her. She has to get the scars on her legs somehow and her mother is confirmed dead with her sister being away.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Hinted at (duh). She does not do well in social situations at all and has severely low self-esteem. There is also her tendency to run away and hide in the storage closet. Naoko does have what are hinted to be anxiety and panic attacks throughout the story, like whenever somebody asks how she got her talent and learning that she failed to stop Shinichi's death.
- Brainy Brunette: Naoko is helpful during the investigations and is noted by Akita to have brunette hair.
- Child Prodigy: The basis of her talent. Naoko is extremely smart for her age but is too timid to fully express all of her ideas.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Well. Naoko is handcuffed to a desk in a very uncomfortable position. Her neck is completely crushed. Stab wounds are all over her body. Her death is so cruel that Naoko even falls into DESPAIR because of it.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hinted at. Naoko has to have gotten those scars somehow.
- Friendless Background: Implied. In the previews of the free time events, Naoko makes a comment about Akita being her first friend.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Implied in the previews. For the start of her free time events, she says something like this.
- Prone to Tears: Naoko cries a lot during the story and is noted to be overly sensitive.
- Scars Are Forever: Is hinted at, for Akita notices that she has scars on her legs.
- Ship Tease: With Takayuki of all people. Akita says that Takayuki is chasing after the girl of his dreams, which happens to be Naoko.
- Shrinking Violet: Naoko is quite shy around other people. Akita even notes that she begins to shrink.
- Teen Genius: What Naoko's talent is. Even Takayuki says that she is smart.
- Teens Are Short: Adds to her Moe charm.
Ultimate Dart Thrower
"Heya! Nice to meet ya! Name's Hotaru Amemori. Your name is so cool! I honestly haven't met anybody named Akita before! That's so pretty! Oh yeah, I'm the Ultimate Dart Thrower. I look forward to being friends. That's what the cool kids do."Hotaru is the master of dart throwing. She always hits the target, no matter what is going on. Overall, she is highly energetic and loves playing pranks on people.
- Action Girl: Even if she gets abducted by Monokuma early on, she does so after breaking through a solid door. This is also hinted by her talent and the muscles her arms have.
- The Alcoholic: Tricks the other students to have drinks with her...which ends up with a lot of them getting drunk. In chapter two, though, this is shown to be becoming a problem since she is hinted to have an actual addiction.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Most of these characters have one and it is justified in-universe. Like Hotaru. She has a trouble focusing on anything, a possible lack of remorse, and loves pranking people a little too much. Hotaru in canon has also developed a drinking problem. Ayano even notes that she is becoming more and more crazy as the story goes on. And she also has hints of low self-esteem and can be viewed as hating her talent, viewing herself as being a useless dart thrower.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Is slowly going more and more insane as the Killing Game continues.
- Damsel in Distress: Gets abducted by Monokuma in the prologue.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Averted. Hotaru does want shoes but the mastermind decided to mess with her by taking them away. After Akita dies, she takes her shoes, especially since winter is coming soon.
- For the Lulz: Hotaru loves having fun and messing with her classmates...to the dismay of all of her classmates.
- Genki Girl: Played with. Her personality usually only gets people upset at her since she does not react properly to the Killing Game.
- And I Must Scream: When Natsumi used the coding of the program to take control of Hotaru's body. She was forced to cause things such as Hayato's almost death. Unlike most cases of this trope, however, Hotaru does get better.
- Revenge Before Reason: When Hotaru kills Natsumi. If Natsumi was alive, Hotaru would have learned many more things, such as the truth behind the deaths of Ayano and Takara, as not even Junko and Kaneshiro know the full truth.
- Took a Level in Cynic: Because of the continued abuse that Kaneshiro forces her to go through during the story, Hotaru becomes more and more jaded. What really pushes her into cynicism, however, is when Natsumi forced control over her own body. Hotaru didn't react to all the things that he did while using her very well.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hotaru's hair is actually blue, although it is like a copper blue color.
"Name's Mitsuru Banda. Ultimate Sukeban. Don't get on my bad side. There'll be no problems, dig?"The leader of the only gang that the Committee seems to tolerate. She is brash and headstrong, but there are hints that she has a softer side. Is the subject of Akita's affection.
- Action Girl: The basis of Mitsuru's talent.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Mitsuru is the personification of wrath.
- Badass Armfold: Is stated to be doing this sometimes.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Gets shot in the stomach then beheaded. And then all of her limbs get cut off post-mortem. Sounds like fun.
- Hidden Depths: Mitsuru, the most powerful gang member in all of Japan, and total badass...is very passionate about mediation. So much that she forces her gang members to do it.
- In-Series Nickname: Akita calls her Mitsu-cho, as that is what Mitsuru's friends call her.
- Japanese Delinquents: This is once again the basis of Mitsuru's talent.
- Love Interest: For Akita.
- Sailor Fuku: Mitsuru is stated to be wearing one of these.
- Scars Are Forever: Due to her talent, Mitsuru gets a lot of scars.
- Ship Tease: With Akita.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Probably where Akita got her bad swearing habit from.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Often says something to this degree.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Subverted. Mitsuru has pink hair, but she dyes it. Akita says that her natural hair color is black.
Rosalina "Mirabilis" Folium Irving
"Hi! I'm Mirabilis!...Hmm? No, my name's Mirabilis with a rose at the end, and I'm a magical girl!"One of the transfer students. Rosalina is a florist from America that keeps on saying that she is a magical girl, even though she is not. She seems to be energetic and has a strong view of justice.
- Action Girl: Debatable. Mirabilis's purifying can have some view her as a badass that hides under a veil of cuteness.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Mirabilis believes that she is a magical girl even though she is just a florist. She has an obsession with her magical girl persona and becomes easily angry whenever somebody calls her out or breaks her rules. And she is shown to be secretive and her level of trust is very different for each person.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Mirabilis is the essence of justice.
- Berserk Button: Cursing. She does not react well to any curse words or actions that break her rules.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Whenever she helps out in trials, she is extremely helpful. She is one of the biggest players in the second trial since she knows all about the plant that poisoned Shinichi.
- Chuunibyou: Mirabilis believes she has superpowers, has given herself a fake name, and actually believes she is a magical girl. She has a bad habit of 'purifying' all of her classmates.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Most definitely. Mirabilis has some strange theories when it comes to some things, and her claiming to be a Magical Girl only supports this trope.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: She's running around in a pink dress with puffy sleeves in the middle of the Suicide Forest.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: First, Mirabilis gets slowly hung by the chains on the ceiling. Then she gets shot in the head and dropped onto the floor. Not the cruelest but she was still clearly suffering while she was being hung.
- Fangirl: Of Cardcaptor Sakura and other magical girl anime.
- Good Is Not Dumb: Although she has come up with some...out there theories, Mirabilis is shown to be smart at moments and always searches for the truth behind a case.
- The Grim Reaper: Has been compared to this and the Angel of Death. Currently, two of the three characters she managed to 'purify' are deceased. She managed to only 'purify' Akita and Shinichi, the two victims so far. She 'purified' a third during the party, but Monokuma stopped her from revealing their name. She also managed to hit Kazuhiko with her wand before he murdered Akita. No wonder Takayuki doesn't want to be purified.
- Hidden Depths: Mirabilis can be extremely smart given the right situation. She is one of the people that help translate the Forbidden Actions back in the prologue. In chapter two, she is shown to be super helpful, correctly giving the name to the plant Shinichi was poisoned with, nightshade.
- She also loves anime. It is impressive since she learned Japanese from just watching it and anime itself is hinted to be illegal until shortly before the story, showing that she will break some laws that she sees as unjust (which it is). Also, during the second chapter, she cheers up both Naoko and Ayano which shows a very caring, empathetic side to her that wants other people to be happy.
- Magical Girl: What Mirabilis claims to be, even though she is just a florist.
- Occidental Otaku: She's a huge anime fan from the United States.
- Only One Name: Goes by Mirabilis and only Mirabilis. Her real name, however, is Rosalina Folium.
- Otaku: In one of her Free Time Events, she watches the first thirteen episodes of one of her favorite anime series, Cardcaptor Sakura, with the protagonist because she just so happened to bring it with her.
- This is also one of the reasons why she's one of the few characters that know Japanese. She translated anime on her own so she could watch them.
- She Knows Too Much: Averted. It's highly hinted that Mirabilis knows which of the jewelers is Shinichi's true murderer, but Monokuma stops her before she says who she purified. (Besides Shinichi.) See The Grim Reaper if you don't understand.
- Telepathy: Akita fears Mirabilis may have telepathic powers that can be used after 'purifying' a person.
"Hey, Akita, I assume you want to know me? Okay, I'm Kira Iwata, the Ultimate Jeweler who isn't sweet."One of the Ultimate Jewelers. Kira is a short girl who looks sweet, but she hates being called that. She has a temper and does not like Cassius for stealing her talent.
- Alliterative Name: Inverted. Kir"a" Iwat"a".
- Anti-Hero: Kira was the traitor for Kirigiri. Even though Kira clearly cares about the students, to the point she was willing to kill herself for their benefit, she was still on board to let them all participate in the game Kirigiri made.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Kira is the embodiment of sin.
- Berserk Button: Calling her short or a child seems to be one for her. Cassius also appears to be one for her.
- Breakthe Cutie: Implied. When this happens is debatable. She either broke because of Ayano Kirigiri's influence before the story began or because of her obsession to save everybody with the third motive. By the end of chapter two, however, it is very clear that Monokuma broke her in more ways than one.
- Crocodile Tears: Does this whenever she feels threatened by something. Everybody can easily tell that they're fake.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Kira was strangled to death by Tsukiko. She tried to fight against her but then eventually succumbed.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hinted at in the Christmas special. She used to sell jewelry on the street to provide for her family. And she is manipulated by Ayano Kirigiri into going her in the Committee...and Kirigiri is hinted to be not the nicest person.
- Eye Scream: Her eyes aren't working anymore because of the acid. Don't want to know what the acid did to them.
- Height Angst: Don't call her short. Just don't.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Averted. What she tries to do during chapter two, which ends up killing Shinichi instead. Oops.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When she finds out that Shinichi was killed by her suicide setup rather than her.
- The Needs of the Many: Why Kira tries to kill herself during chapter two. She thought that giving up her life to help her classmates have a simple luxury was a good thing to do.
- Older Than They Look: Kira looks like a child even though she is a teenager in canon.
- Shipper on Deck: For Atsuto and Yasu. OPERATION ATSUSU COMMENCE!
- Ship Tease: With Cassius.
- Teens Are Short: One of the main reasons why she looks so young.
Ayano Nishiki Kamukura
"Oh, hi. I guess you're here. You were asking for everybody's name. I guess I can tell you mine. I'm Ayano Nishiki. I'm the Ultimate Hacker. Now can you tell me if you see any technology? I might be able to hack us out of here somehow. However, I can't see anything useful. Only miles and miles of boring forest."An emotionless, quiet girl that makes up the other main duo for the Committee. She is in a relationship with Kazuhiko Hiraoka, the partner the Committee gave her.
- Abusive Parents: Implied. Her only parent that hasn't been abusive is hinted to be Izuru Kamukura, who the Committee stole her from. Her birth parents are unknown, but she had to have ended up on the island by some unfavorable means. As for her parents in the Committee, there's a reason why Ayano was emotionless at the beginning of the story.
- Confirmed in the fifth chapter. Ayano wonders why she is not dead when her own parents tossed her in the sea to drown.
- Action Girl: She's basically a ninja!
- Ambiguous Disorder: It is highly hinted throughout the story that Ayano has depression. She does not have energy to do things and finds it hard to enjoy things. Others mistake her as being emotionless first meeting her, and, in the beginning, she only spoke one word and let Kazuhiko talk for her. Also, she is suicidal after Kazuhiko's death. Although she does try to kill herself, this is because of the Suicide Video, as she gets past her suicidal tendencies.
- Averted. Ayano has depression, revealed when she tells Kyoto she does not want him to have depression as well.
- After the events of the fourth trial, Ayano is hinted to have Acute Stress Disorder that is turning into severe PTSD. She even has flashbacks and panic attacks.
- Averted. Ayano has depression, revealed when she tells Kyoto she does not want him to have depression as well.
- Anti-Hero: Even though Ayano is trying to do good things, sometimes her morals can be called into question. The most obvious is when she tries to kill or attack (it is up to the reader what she really was planning) Kaneshiro after figuring out he is Atsuto. This causes the deaths of Ayano and Takara, which could have been avoided easily.
- Berserk Button: Mentioning the Committee, especially in a good light, can be this to her.
- Character Development: After Kazuhiko's death, Ayano slowly becomes more and more like him.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She is hinted to be unwanted by her birth parents and found her way to Izuru, where she found happiness. Then the Committee took her and all the other children away. Then she was used for experiments, as explained in the Christmas special. And then she was given away to the Nishiki family, who are hinted to be abusive. She found peace in Kazuhiko and then the Killing Game happened. Resulting in his death...fun times.
- Emotionless Girl: Ayano barely says anything, and, when she does, it is in a monotone voice.
- Forced to Watch: Monokuma forces Ayano to watch Kazuhiko's execution, for she is the protagonist.
- Frame-Up: What the accomplice of the second trial tried to do to her.
- Genius Bruiser: Ayano is a hacker and helps out a lot during trials. It is also noted that she is one of the strongest students in the class, but she seems to believe Mitsuru and Miyuki are stronger.
- Heroic BSoD: Has one during the first trial. Due to Monokuma outing Kazuhiko as the culprit, executing him, forcing her to watch, and then placing his dead body in her room, it is safe to say she didn't have the best of days.
- Idiot Hair: Has one under her beanie.
- Interrupted Suicide: Due to the Suicide Video, Ayano tries to kill herself, but she is saved by Shinichi.
- In chapter five, Ayano tries to commit suicide again, but is stopped by Hayato, Kira, Takara, and Atsuto.
- The Lost Lenore: Ayano has one of these in the form of Kazuhiko.
- Depending on how you view the relationship between Kyoto and Ayano, she can potentially have another one if you happen to ship them hard enough. Give this girl a break.
- Not So Stoic: Kazuhiko's death makes her a mess. She's shown to actually be extremely emotional but puts up walls so nobody can hurt her like the Committee.
- The Protagonist: After Akita dies, Ayano is revealed to be this.
- The Smart Girl: Ayano is the brains behind one of the most powerful teams in the Committee and it shows. There's a reason why she's the Ultimate Hacker.
- The Stoic: She does not react that much to anything and is good at keeping her composure.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Although Kazuhiko is not short, being around five feet and eight inches, Ayano is six feet and two inches.
Ultimate Band Manager
"Oh, we've not met, have we? I'm Tsukiko Oda, it's a pleasure to meet you!...As the manager of First Light, I've been given the title of Ultimate Band Manager. Nice of them, right?"Tsukiko is the band manager for the most popular fringe band in the world, First Light. She has great leadership skills and has a level head on her shoulders.
- Hair Decorations: Tsukiko has this, mostly to keep hair from falling on her face.
- Hidden Depths: Tsukiko absolutely loves cute things but does not show this side of hers to most of the students so they would take her seriously as the leader. Also really doesn't understand why red grapes are called purple and green grapes white.
- Like stated afterward, Tsukiko has a lot of Survivor Guilt. She misses all of her friends and wants to know how they're doing.
- The Leader: Type Two. Seems to be the main leader for all of the students in the Killing Game.
- The Paragon: Tsukiko is the team leader that most fits the paragon. She tries to help others so they can take care of themselves, the biggest of these examples being Hayato.
- The Reliable One: Is shown to be one of the main leaders other than Namita. Though Namita can get stressed, so Tsukiko does most of the work, especially during the trials.
- Survivor Guilt: Is revealed to have this during chapter five. She feels like she should have been a better leader, and then all of her friends should still be alive.
- Sweet Tooth: Tsukiko is noted to like many treats.
- Team Mom: Is described as this.
Ultimate Event Planner
"Hiya! How're you doing? The name's Namita Nakahashi, the Ultimate Event Planner. Any event and I can plan it! Pleased to meetcha!"Namita gained her status as the Ultimate Event Planner by hosting a different kind of events all over the globe. She has a lot of energy but gets easily scared when things don't go her way.
- Alliterative Name: "Na"mita "Na"kahashi.
- Bad Liar: Hinted at. She does not do a good job of defending herself in chapter two even though she is innocent.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: At first, Namita's execution doesn't seem as bad as some of the others, with her being stabbed in the heart. But then the robots don't stop stabbing her. Its unknown how long they continued, it could have been minutes or even days.
- Hair Decorations: Zig-zagged. Instead of being in her hair, she has a lot of hair ties all over her arms although she has been seen using them.
- The Leader: A nice mix of 2, 3, and 4. Along with Tsukiko, she makes sure the students have order in their lives.
- Multicolored Hair: Namita's hair is both blue and purple.
- Nervous Wreck: Played with. Whenever she is not in control of a situation, she freaks out.
- Team Mom: Like Tsukiko, she is also described like this.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Namita has gradient blue to purple hair. It is said that her natural hair color is blue.
"Hello, Miss Yamazaki, you wish to know my name? My name is Miyuki Kobyashi, and I am the Ultimate Onna-bugeisha. It is a pleasure to meet you."Miyuki is a female samurai that gets her talent by protecting people all over Japan. Her mysterious nature has made her the subject of various urban legends.
- Action Girl: She's literally an onna-bugeisha. Of course, she's a badass!
- Alliterative Name: Inverted. Miyuk"i" Kobyash"i".
- Almighty Janitor: Miyuki was the one that cleaned most of the school. Everybody used to be involved but they figured out it was a lot more effective to just let Miyuki do it.
- Bungled Suicide: During chapter four. Miyuki tries to kill herself so she won't fall into despair and become Kaneshiro's pawn. However, this fails, causing Namia to be forced to kill her.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Was stabbed with her own sword and then had her head smashed into the wall a lot of times. Does not help that the killer overpowered her since Miyuki was experiencing the side effects of her illness at the time.
- Emotionless Girl: Miyuki has shades of this.
- Genius Bruiser: Is one of the people that are the most useful during the trials due to her knowledge of weapons and always keeping a cool head. She is also literally a samurai.
- Humble Hero: Has saved hundreds, if not thousands, of people from death, but never takes credit for it. She could easily prove herself to be the urban legend yet decides to continue to live in the shadows.
- In-Series Nickname: She is often referred to as Yuki.
- Lady of War: Due to her talent, Miyuki has seen a lot of battles. She is also a calm woman, who is beautiful enough to become Satoshi's main target of affection. Miyuki has also been in a family war, where she was one of the only survivors.
- Neat Freak: Implied with her cleaning of the school. Although she probably doesn't say anything about it to make sure she doesn't upset the others.
- Not So Stoic: All over the place in chapter four. Not only is she in a loving secret relationship with Namita, Miyuki shows that she can get pissed off as well. She also tried to kill herself to stop falling into despair but that did not work.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted. Although she acts emotionless, Miyuki clearly does not want to harm any of the other students.
- The Reliable One: Is rather calm during the Killing Game and stays neutral. She is also the one that does the cleaning the fastest, shown in the library.
- Teens Are Short: Even though she is a samurai, Akita notes that she is the same height as Naoko.
Ultimate Private Investigator
"Hmph. My name happens to be Takayuki Anno. Just call me Yuki. It is easier for idiots to remember. You might've heard of me before. They couldn't stop that annoying article about me solving those damn murders. I'm not a hero or anything. Oh, in case you're lucky and don't get the news, I'm the Ultimate Private Investigator."The partner Akita has in the Committee. They cannot stand each other but are noted to be one of the best teams. Takayuki himself is a jerk that does not know how to hold back.
- Amateur Sleuth: Is the Ultimate Private Investigator. Though we do not see much of his actions due to Monokuma banning him from speaking or writing about any sort of mystery.
- Anger Born of Worry: He is clearly concerned about people like Naoko and Akita, yet always acts angry around them. Takayuki is shown to actually worry about Akita, possibly because of their shared past and their shared connections to Hideyoshi. He seems to sometimes treat Naoko harshly because he doesn't want her to end up tortured and dead like Akita.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Takayuki is the embodiment of duality.
- Childhood Friend: To Akita. Things have obviously changed.
- Cryptically Unhelpful Answer: Whenever somebody questions him about Hideyoshi's involvement in the Killing Game.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Unlike Akita, Takayuki remembers the events of Personality Experiment #045, which involves a lot of torture. He, in canon, has DID. Also, Takayuki had to live with Hideyoshi's betrayal and the fact that he is inside him. And that's not even everything.
- Defiant to the End: Never gives into despair even with Kaneshiro trying so hard.
- Great Detective: The basis of Takayuki's talent.
- Hearing Voices: Much like Akita, Takayuki has this as a side effect of Personality Experiment #045. His voice, however, is Hideyoshi.
- He Knows Too Much: Averted. Although he does know too much and is implied to know a lot more about the Killing Game than everybody else, Monokuma decides to not kill him, giving him a Forbidden Action instead.
- In-Series Nickname: Some characters in the cast, such as Akita, call Takayuki Yuki.
- Lost Lenore: In the form of Akita and Naoko. Don't be a girl Takayuki has a crush on, things don't end up good for you.
- Jerkass: Takayuki, on the surface, acts this way around everyone.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Actually is concerned about the well-being of his other classmates, especially Akita, Naoko, Shinichi, and Takara. He is also selfless enough to cut off both of his hands just so Hideyoshi wouldn't kill any of them.
- Mysterious Past: Akita notes that Takayuki is Hideyoshi's cousin and does not like talking about it. When she presses him for answers, Takayuki gives her overly vague answers.
- Although Hideyoshi is revealed to be Akita's cousin and not his, Takayuki does seem to still be hiding something.
- The Protagonist: When Ayano is put out of comission, Takayuki becomes this.
- Private Detective: Once again, the basis of Takayuki's talent. Even though he mostly works for the Committee, other people can hire him with enough cash or connections.
- Ship Tease: With both Akita and Naoko.
- Split Personality: With Hideyoshi.
"Oh sorry. Didn't see you there. Kyoto Kamui, the apparent Ultimate 'Strategist'...wait...you're a girl...u-uh...Nice to m-meet you, m'am!"Kyoto is the shy, clumsy and socially awkward Ultimate Strategist. Although he is very smart, Kyoto always wins second place in the contests that he enters.
- Alliterative Name: "K"yoto "K"amui.
- Always Second Best: Is always second place in whatever contest he enters in. Not greater, not less.
- Always Someone Better: No matter how many contests he enters, Kyoto always lands in second place.
- Cannot Talk to Women: Whenever he is around women, Kyoto turns into a mess. This actually gets him a door to the face in the prologue...
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Gets shoot in the stomach. This would have been harmless enough if this actually killed him instantly, but Kyoto suffers for hours and hours on end. He slowly bleeds out. It is implied that he is hanging on to his conciousness just to tell Ayano his final words. Damn.
- His Name Is...: Averted. Kyoto actually told Kaneshiro's name to Ayano before he dies in its entirely. Too bad Ayano already knows this information.
- Must Have Caffeine: Ayano notes that Kyoto really, really loves coffee. And Kyoto has coffee a lot after they fix the coffee machine.
- Ship Tease: Surprisingly enough, with Ayano herself. The amount of times they hug is suspicious, and the mention that their lips were close to each other. Also Kyoto acts like a lover has betrayed him when he finds out Ayano is a Kamukura. Helps that Kyoto's crush on her is canon and Ayano is very fixilated on revenge when he is killed.
- Teen Genius: The basis of Kyoto's talent.
"Greetings, I am the Ultimate Translator, Shinichi Fujimoto. Strange title, I know. You can also call me Shi for short. It is a pleasure to meet you."Shinichi is a polite boy that acts as the main translator for the Committee. He knows various languages and has translated complete works like Gilgamesh.
- Abusive Parents: More like parent. Shinichi is raised by his mother, who is never home, when she's home she's too busy having sex, is an alcoholic, and spends all their money on gambling, starving Shinichi. Somewhere his little brother was born, and we don't want to know how worse things get.
- Adorkable: Some of the things Shinichi does can be seen as cute, and his appearance makes him look like a nerd...which he totally is.
- Alcoholic Parent: See Abusive Parents.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Inverted. Ayano notes that she knows nothing about how the real Shinichi was like, so she cannot think of anything for him.
- Blue with Shock: A side effect of him being poisoned. One of the main reasons Naoko, Takayuki, and Mirabilis know his cause of death.
- Bookworm: Spends a lot of time with books. A lot.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: His murder. The entire ordeal was described to have been agonizing on him until his death, which took around thirty whole minutes. The initial description of his body makes it worse. It was even witnessed entirely by his classmates!
- Dark and Troubled Past: In the Christmas special, Shinichi is revealed to be starving, have a mother that rather have sex than take care of him, and is taken care by the woman next door, Hanako, who is often away planning an uprising. And then somewhere between the special and the story he has a younger brother.
- Dies Wide Open: Due to the brutal nature of his death, Shinichi dies with his eyes open. The other students close them during the investigation though.
- Nice Guy: He is nice compared to the rest of the cast. He does bits of anger, and a depressing view on the world, but he does seem to care about his classmates.
- Shrinking Violet: Although less so than Naoko, Shinichi does have shades of this.
- Teens Are Short: Shinichi is only four feet and nine inches tall. Though this is most likely caused by not being feed enough as a child.
- Tempting Fate: Hopes he won't get picked next for Hotaru's truth and dare game...and then is picked next to die instead...wow.
- Tiny School Boy: He is one of the shortest people in the cast. Shinichi is really, really short, not even being five feet tall. Even Naoko and Miyuki are taller than him. Even Kira!
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Shinichi, during the time he was alive, was extremely helpful and nice, although he had his moments. Then he gets brutally killed in one of the worse ways possible, becoming the third to die.
Ultimate Treasure Hunter
"Hello, Takara Miyagi, Ultimate Treasure Hunter. Nice to meet you. Do you know sign language?"Takara is deaf and mute but still, has gained the title of Ultimate Treasure Hunter. He is quite reserved and enjoys watches people at a distance.
- Creepy Child: Akita sees him as this.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Takara was drowned in the pool. The. Pool.
- Elective Mute: Revealed in 3-4. Takara can, in fact, talk, but he is not very good at it. His manner of speach is unnatural and very childlike, like he was never told how to speak properly.
- The Speechless: Cannot talk. The reason why is not explained in canon yet, but most likely he was born mute. Subverted, Takara actually has selective mutism and probably just doesn't like to talk due to his deafness.
- The Quiet One: Played with. The only reason why Takara is so quiet is that he is deaf. He is actually fairly talkative with sign language and his notebook.
"My name is Hayato Akimoto. I'm the Ultimate Salesman. It is an honor to meet you, Miss Yamazaki."Hayato is a salesman that works all around the globe selling things to all of his clients. He is overly polite but seems to be hiding something huge.
- Alliterative Name: Inverted. Haya"to" Akimo"to".
- The Determinator: After his character arc, Hayato will not give into despair. Even after he is ruthlessly tortured by Kaneshiro, he will not give in. Hayato has been put through an endless amount of killing games during the epilogue and still clings onto hope.
- Interrupted Suicide: At the end of the third trial. Hayato tries to shoot himself in the head but Tsukiko stops him.
- My God, What Have I Done?: His reaction to figuring out that killing Kyoto and Mirabilis was useless...and then he tries to kill himself.
- Only Friend: Before the game, Cassius is implied to be Hayato's. He does know a lot of people but does not trust them enough to call them friends.
- The Reliable One: So reliable that even Tsukiko asks for his help. He keeps a cool head and is shown to actively do his duties.
- Stepford Smiler: Hinted at. Akita cannot tell whether or not the smile he wears is fake in the prologue while meeting him for the first time.
Lord Cassius Ambrose Irvine Jacobson the Third
Ultimate Jeweler Smuggler
"I am Lord Cassius Ambrose Irvine Jacobson the Third, son of the Duke of Lancaster Cassius Ambrose Irvine Jacobson the Second! I give you permission to address me as Lord Cassius given the impressive length of my noble name, however."Cassius is one of the sons of the noble family Jacobson. He thinks extremely high of himself and hates that Kira sullied the name of his Ultimate title.
- Accidental Murder: Oops. That was not supposed to happen to Shinichi.
- Acquitted Too Late: Was completely innocent in the murder of Shinichi. It was Kira that accidentally caused his death. Monokuma wanted to punish the students so he killed Cassius instead.
- Afraid of Blood: Hinted at. While Shinichi is dying, he does not react well. Though this has now been put into question since this reaction is because he realized that he could have caused his death.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Cassius is the embodiment of pride.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Averted. Cassius is an example of not being evil but still being full of himself. Hell, Cassius even commits murder and has a deep, dark secret, but it is still clear he is not evil. After all, Cassius only accidentally killed Shinichi, and even that's debatable!
- Awesome Ego: Debatable. His sense of morality is apparent, but his ego holds strong.
- Blue Blood: Cassius comes from a family of nobles, and he will not shut up about it.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Cassius did not have fun during his execution. The last part of his execution, clearly the part that killed him, had him slowly eaten away by acid before dying, leaving nothing behind but a pool of blood.
- Entitled Bastard: One of the many reasons why fans of this fanfiction relate him to Togami.
- Expy: Cassius is like if Togami and Pekoyama had a child. He clearly has several personality traits from Togami, with him being of noble blood and full of himself. His relation to Pekoyama gets explored in chapter two, where Kira is clearly mirroring Fuyuhiko.
- Family Honor: Cassius seems to have this about his Jacobson name.
- Fatal Flaw: Cassius's stupidity is what gets him killed. He also will do anything to keep whatever secret Monokuma has on him hidden.
- Misscarrageof Justice: Was executed for Shinichi's death even though he was innocent. The cast was split on whether he or Kira did it.
- Murder by Mistake: In the events, Monokuma lied about, Cassius accidentally poisoned Shinichi and did not mean to murder anyone. Turns out this is true because he is innocent.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After he figured out that he may have accidentally killed Shinichi, Cassius begins screaming.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Really, Monokuma? Did you really have to place him in all of that acid while he was already slowly bleeding to death? No. No, you didn't.
- The Proud Elite: Cassius can be...arrogant at times but he does care about his classmates.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: When Shinichi was dying, it is noted that Cassius is screaming like this.
- Ship Tease: With Kira.
- Sympathetic Murderer: He did not mean to kill Shinichi. Monokuma tricked Cassius into using Kira's suicide setup to kill Shinichi instead because of a secret he had on him. Hurts even more since he actually helped during the trial that caused his brutal end.
- Undying Loyalty: To his family.
- Unwitting Pawn: His role in Shinichi's murder. Cassius didn't even know that he accidentally helped kill Shinichi before it was too late.
Ultimate Chess Player
You want to know who I am? I'm the Ultimate Chess Player! Akemi Nakatani!"Akemi, through winning various contests, has gained the title of Ultimate Chess Player. He is standoffish and tries way too hard to look like an adult.
- Alliterative Name: Inverted. Akem"i" Nakatan"i".
- The Bully: Is viewed to be this way by Ayano towards Kyoto.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Got a heart attack because he got his heart broken by Kaneshiro.
- Smart People Play Chess: What Akemi wants others to think. It is left unclear if he is actually smart or not.
If it isn't Akita Yamazaki. Hello there, Ultimate Mediator, I'm Kazuhiko Hiraoka, The Ultimate Journalist. You might remember me interviewing you a while back. Well well well, this is going to make for an interesting article. Wouldn't you say?"The second part of the second duo that works for the Committee. Kazuhiko will do anything for a scoop, except harm his girlfriend, Ayano Nishiki, who is his partner.
- Advertised Extra: He is Ayano's boyfriend and was made to be an important part of Akita's story. And yet he's the first killer.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: At the end of his execution, Ayano says that he is the very essence of the truth.
- Apologetic Attacker: After he attacks Akita, he says that he is sorry. He does not enjoy killing Akita, but believes she is the mastermind. Kazuhiko seems to truly regret his actions after learning that he is wrong.
- Bait-and-Switch: He was foreshadowed to be the first victim, but, due to Akita's Aborted Arc, he kills her instead.
- Berserk Button: If anybody tries to do anything to Ayano, Kazuhiko will go berserk.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: As the first killer, Kazuhiko first almost gets crushed to death and loses his shoes. Then a bunch of Monokumas throws rocks at him while Akita robots start shooting each other, only gazing Kazuhiko's cheek with a bullet. And then the conveyor belt from the first part of the execution falls on top of him. It is implied that this is where a person would usually die, but, because of his love for Ayano, he forces himself up to say he loves her one last time before finally dying.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Though Kazuhiko's past remains largely unknown, it is made canon in the Christmas special that he was forced into the same experiments as Ayano. He used to be a sad child, but something changed, probably falling in love with Ayano. His last name is also different, which hints many things, none of them being good.
- Death from Above: Is crushed by the conveyor belt above him. Eventually subverted when he survives only for a couple seconds, enough to tell Ayano he loves her.
- Expy: Of both Matoko Naegi and Kaede Akamatsu. This is evidenced by his execution. The first part of his execution is like Detention, and Kazuhiko has Matoko's belief in hope and love for humanity. Also, Kazuhiko and Ayano's relationship is very similar to Matoko and Kyoko's. With Kaede, he is an Advertised Extra and tries killing the mastermind in the first trial, only to kill somebody else instead. The second part of his execution is much like hers due to the Monokumas throwing rocks at him.
- Face Death with Dignity: Kazuhiko accepts his execution and the only reason why it takes so long for him to be executed is that Ayano won't let him.
- Fatal Flaw: His hope surprisingly. Because of his hope he decided to kill Akita, thinking that she is the mastermind, only to show that he is dead wrong.
- The Heart: Kazuhiko is the heart while Ayano is The Smart Guy.
- He Knows Too Much: Way Monokuma reveals him as being the first culprit. Kazuhiko figured out who the mastermind after killing Akita. To stop him from telling too much, Monokuma ends his trial early and executes him.
- The Lost Lenore: He is Ayano's love interest and suffers a Cruel and Unusual Death because he is the first killer.
- Sympathetic Murderer: Like Kaede from V3, he only killed because he believed the person is the mastermind. The only reason he keeps quiet is because of the mastermind playing with him. Even the person who first pointed him out, Tsukiko, seems to be somewhat sorry.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Like stated before with Ayano, he is not that short, but, compared to Ayano, he is small.
Satoshi Nakajima Atsuto Togami Kaneshiro Kazuma
Ultimate Bartender Ultimate Unlucky Student Ultimate Brainwasher
"Looking good there...Akita Yamazaki, isn't it? Would you mind if I call you Aki? The name I go by here is Satoshi Nakajima. I might not look like it, but I am the Ultimate Bartender. That means I know how to make beautiful women like you have a real fun time."Satoshi is a flirt that tries way too hard. It is unknown how he got his talent, and he is not willing to tell the story. He is most commonly described as an idiot.
- Alliterative Name: "Ka"neshiro "Ka"zuma.
- The Bartender: This is the basis of his talent.
- Big Bad: Is revealed to be the mastermind, Kaneshiro Kazuma.
- Butt-Monkey: Poor, poor Satoshi always gets the short end of the stick.
- The Corrupter: As the mastermind, Kaneshiro focuses on bringing out the worse in people so they will kill. His successful victims have been Akemi, Namita, Tsukiko, and Ayano, along with many others.
- Manipulative Bastard: With his talent being the Ultimate Brainwasher, and being in charge of the Killing Game, it is heavily implied that he is this.
- The Nicknamer: Hinted to be this. He is the one who starts calling Akita Aki after all.
- Nobody's That Dumb: Satoshi knows that he dumb and, during trials, he's used to be allowed to advance by saying stupid stuff. During the end of the second investigation, he outright says to Ayano that he knows he's dumb but still helps with the alcohol and helping out Yasu.
- Shout-Out: To Durarara!!
"Hm...? 'Sup kid, did ya need something?...Oh! My name. Ha ha, no problem. The name's Yasu Matsushita. Ultimate Engineer. Just call me Yasu though. And you are?"An engineer that has a laid-back attitude. Yasu is the Ultimate Engineer and always carries their tools around. They also have a pet rabbit they care for named Mochi.
- [[spoilers: Abusive Parents: Yasu's mother died when they were born, while their father abuses them using very disturbing methods. Most of it is up to interpretation, but their father emotionally degrades them and forced them into conversion therapy.]]
- The Engineer: Literally their talent.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Revealed when Yasu becomes the narrator. They have saved their classmates so many times but blames themself for the torture that Kaneshiro does to them. Doesn't help that they have horrible self-esteem.
- Interrupted Suicide: During chapter four. Yasu tries to stab themselves with a knife, but Atsuto, Akemi, and Ayano stop them.
- Verbal Tic: Calls everybody around them 'kid.' Even when that person is clearly older than them.
"Oh, hello there! I didn't see you, sorry about that...Oh. Right, this is probably where I introduce myself, huh? The name's Minato Ueda, Ultimate Traveler!"Minato, although being a traveler, has a habit of getting lost, which results in them getting an NG Code. They are most often described as a human teddy bear.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Minato is in love with Akita...who is in love with Mitsuru...who knows but ignores Akita's feelings due to her coming on way too strong. Poor, poor Minato.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Gets slowly torn apart by the chains on the ceiling while being poisoned. Even Hotaru is somewhat disturbed.
- Cuddle Bug: Minato loves hugging people. Especially if that person is Akita.
- Friend to All Living Things: Minato can become friends with anybody. Even Akita. There's even a joke that Minato could become friends with Hilter.
- Lost Lenore: Akita is this to them.
- Nice Guy: Although Minato's gender is unclear, they are very nice and try to become friends with everybody.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Described by Akita to be this. She comments that they think everybody they come across is nice.
- You Are Not Alone: Does this to Akita due to them becoming friends before the Killing Game.
Characters other than the students themselves.
- Bears Are Bad News: Monokuma is considered to be so bad in this universe that the Committee decided to kill all the bears just to make sure that nothing like him will pop up again...which fails miserably.
- Big Bad: This is set in the Danganronpa timeline so...yeah, he's the baddy.
- Evil Laugh: Does this all the time. Puhuhuhu.
- Hanging Judge: With this being a Killing Game, this is a given. He shows no remorse whatsoever.
- Kick the Dog: Wow, Monokuma, you really didn't need to force Ayano to watch her boyfriend get brutally executed in a torture room. And you really didn't need to leave his dead body in her room.
- Killer Teddy Bear: Surprise, surprise, Monokuma is a killer teddy bear that forces children to kill each other.
- Meaningful Name: Once again, his name is made out of the words monochrome and bear. Two things that he is.
- Moral Event Horizon: Although this is Monokuma, he is debatably worse than his previous forms. He gives up Kazuhiko's secret of being the first murderer during the trial, and then, after he dies, places his dead body in his lover's room...there's a reason nobody likes Monokuma.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: What Monokuma wants his students to do to escape.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Whenever Monokuma starts acting like the mastermind, you know these kids are fucked.
- Series Mascot: Can't be Danganronpa in this universe without Monokuma.
- Sealed Evil in a Teddy Bear: Monokuma is back and he is debatably more evil than ever before.
- Slasher Smile: How his smile is described by the cast.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Much to his students' annoyance.
- Sore Loser: Hinted at. Kazuhiko made a murder that was too hard to solve with the experience of his classmates, and also figured out the mastermind's true face. Knowing this, the mastermind gives up his secret of being the first murderer to make sure he stays quiet.
- In the second trial, he was so upset by Yasu and the others outsmarting him that he executed an innocent person, Cassius.
- You thought that was bad? How about the entire events of chapter four? Even before the trial, he was psychologically torturing Ayano and had somebody literally shoot her in the back since she wasn't behaving as he wanted her to.
- Then, dear lord, the trial. Hayato, being the leader of the students who didn't investigate, now wants to not be part of the trial itself. Monokuma then gives him a box with Mirabilis's head. This does not stop the others from trying to protect Namita from her own execution, however.
- During Namita's execution, Monokuma punishes the students that tried to rebel by drowning them. Akemi and Yasu, however, save everybody before anybody dies, including Namita.
- Then, because Ayano succeeds in escaping the game, Monokuma murders all of the Saviors of Humanity and uses his human form to make her fall into despair in the lowest way possible.
- And then he forces Atsuto, Akemi, Yasu, and Tsukiko to eat some of Mirabilis. And Ayano is used to kill Minato. Plus, Namita still gets executed. Talk about emotional trauma. Kira and Takara were lucky that they were knocked out for most of the trial.
- Villain-Based Franchise: Par of the course.
- Always Someone Better: Apparently, Etsuko Abe from Despair in Our Stars should have been head of research for the Committee.
- Death by Origin Story: Is confirmed to have been murdered and is a big player in the backstories of Ayano and Kazuhiko. Also, her death is hinted to be one of the reasons why the Killing Game is happening in the first place.
- Lack of Empathy: To do the things that Kotori has done, you need no empathy whatsoever.
- Black Sheep: The only member of the Kirigiri family interested in Hope's Peak Academy. She does not have a good relationship with her family either.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even though Kirigiri planned for the cast to go through a Killing Game, she does not agree with how Kaneshiro deals with things, viewing it as overly cruel. This is one of the things that cause her death.
- Love Freak: She is the headmaster of the school, and, just like Jin, she has an obsession with talent.
- Follow in My Footsteps: Kirigiri refused to do this with the Future Foundation, so she instead sided with the Committee.
- Manipulative Bastard: During the Christmas special, she manipulates Kira into joining her by offering her enough money to support her family.
- Bi the Way: During her section in the Christmas special, it is heavily implied that she develops a crush on Emilynn McKay from Despair in Our Stars, another book in this series.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Mochi has become a fan favorite to the point of sparking many memes.
- Memetic Mutation: So many we'd be here all day listing them.
- Alliterative Name: "B"jørn "B"eck.
- Split Personality: Is this to Akita.
- Enemy Within: Can be considered this to Akita. It is highly hinted that Aki caused Akita's death, not Akiza.
- Enemy Within: Once again, has shades of this. She is a part of Akita.
- Inside Joke: Her name was Akita's original name before the story was published.
- Sadist: Enjoys seeing others suffer, especially Akita. There's a reason why she has that whip.
- Sexier Alter Ego: Although Akita is beautiful, Akiza has her beauty taken to the eleventh. It also helps that she has a thing for whips.
- Split Personality: Is this to Akita.
- Artifical Intellienge: Is one created by Ayano Kamukura.
- Like Father, Like Son: Played with. While Izumi has some things in common with Ayano, such as their base appearances, there are many things Izumi doesn't have in common with Ayano as well.
- Alliterative Name: Played with. Ni"cole" "Cole"tte Torr.
- Death by Origin Story: Is Akita's dead teacher.
Hideyoshi 'Anno' Yamazaki—-
- Alliterative Name: Inverted. Hideyosh"i" Yamazak"i".
- Ax-Crazy: Is willing to do a lot of insane things for the sake of despair. For example, it is canon that Hideyoshi forced Akita to rip off all of her fingernails.
- Childhood Friend: Was friends with Akita and Takayuki before he decided to kidnap and torture Akita.
- Lack of Empathy: It takes a lot for a person to do all the things that he does to Akita.
- Monster Clown: Is the Ultimate Clown and is a big player in all of Akita's suffering.