Yamagata Satoshi (Sato)
The protagonist of the series. A young middle school boy who is completely average and completely bored with his life. Until he comes across the Forbidden Book that is. He is very immature at first although he does have a knack for strategy and resourcefulness. His main focus for the first couple of arcs is getting out of the book.
Tropes associated with Sato:
- Berserk Button: He has quite a few actually. But most notably is anyone who is Chaotic Evil. His response to Miharu in Chapter 4 shows this when he cuts off his tail and then later blows him up in the river.
- Idiot Hero: As far as common sense goes anyway. He has trouble using a toaster.
- Jumpedatthe Call: Due to Sato just wanting to change up his everyday life, he instantly starts fighting Bakemono and saving strangers before he even has a clear cut goal.
- Nice Guy: He can be rude and impolite sometimes but is generally a nice person.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: He's pretty much the prime definition of average, having an average height, weight, and even grades. Only at first though, he slowly grows out of this however.
- The Strategist: Despite not being the brightest as far as common sense goes, he is often the one to come up with the plans to defeat the bad guys.