- Almighty Janitor: Company 8 are understaffed and looked down by the rest of the organization. They also drive the entire plot forward. Also, Shinra and Arthur are recruits fresh from the academy but still fight opponents with years more experience than they do.
- Cool Car: They use an armoured fire truck get around. They call it a 'Matchbox'. It is stated that it was based on a German tank.
- Becomes a Weaponized Car after Vulcan joins the team and works his magic. The tank inspiration becomes even more important.
- Internal Affairs: Company 8 was founded to investigate the other parts of the Fire Force to ensure they are on the level.
- The Main Characters Do Everything: Pretty much every revelation about Human Combustion comes from Company 8's adventures. Partly justified as the other companies are hiding key information from everyone else or have reasons to not get involved.
- Oddly Small Organization: Lampshaded. The Company began with only 4 members and it took two years for anyone else to join. Compared to Company 1 or Company 7, which have dozens of members. Captain Akitaru is overjoyed when they get enough members to fill a fire engine.
Captain Akitaru Ōbi
Voiced by: Kazuya Nakai (Japanese), Jeremy Inman (English)
A Former firefighter and the founding Captain of Company 8. Akitaru lacks superpower, but he makes up for it in muscle and charisma. He is determined to amass a Company capable of uncovering the truth behind the Infernals and Save the World.
- 100% Adoration Rating: Company 8 have their problems and disagreements, but they all respect Akitaru. It is even said that his charisma is the thing that binds the Company together. Even other captains and criminals like Joker seem to respect him for his attitude.
- Badass Normal: No powers but lots of strength. He often grapples with Infernals and empowered humans with great success despite his disadvantage.
- Big Brother Mentor: He acts this way towards Shinra and Arthur. This briefly causes some competition between him and Hibana for the boys' attention.
- The Big Guy: Tallest, broadest and (physically) strongest member of Company 8.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He's a loud and hammy type of guy.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: How did he get so strong? Heavy weight training every day. He's even introduced doing upside-down sit-ups.
- Cool Mask: It's a cage-like design that completely hides his face.
- Deliberate Injury Gambit: Often takes a beating as part of a strategy, either to distract his opponent or to get within punching range.
- Does Not Like Guns: Even when it is simplified down to pushing a button and completely non-lethal against a non-human opponent. Ōbi has no idea how to fire a shot and is terrified of doing it.
- Guile Hero: Akitaru will play politics to justify his Company's investigations and misdirect his foes during combat to ensure victory. He also admitted that he was planning to exploit Hibana's relationship with Iris if he needed to.
- Improbable Weapon User: He once used train tracks as both a weapon and a ladder.
- The Leader: The captain of Company 8 who issues orders to Shinra and the other fire soldiers under his command.
- Nerves of Steel: He was a firefighter. It comes with the territory. With no immunity to fire and a world full of crazy powerful people and monsters with fire powers, he still rushes into battle.
- Not So Different: He and Benimaru carry their organizations on their shoulders out of sheer charisma, despite having very different powers and methods.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: Akitaru is the model firefighter. But this has historically gotten him into trouble as he used to defy orders to prioritise saving lives. Not so much of a problem now that he is the one giving orders and his superiors trust him to get results.
- Smarter Than You Look: Despite being treated like an imbecile, Akitaru uses established policies and his connections within the fire department to investigate other Fire Force Companies.
- Supporting Leader: Shinra is The Hero, but Akitaru gives him his marching orders and gives him the guidance he needs.
- Wrestler in All of Us: He tries elbow dropping villains at one point.
- What Measure Is A Nonhuman: Believes the Infernals need to be treated with dignity. He also holds the entire company to this standard and wishes to protect the grieving victims any additional hardship.
- Worthy Opponent: Benimaru seemed to think so during their street fight.
Lieutenant Takehisa Hinawa
Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura (Japanese), Christopher Wehkamp (English)
The stone-faced second-in-command of Company 8 and former military officer. Lieutenant Hinawa uses firearms in battle alongside his Second Generation powers to blow his opponents away.
- Blind Without Them: He really needs his glasses.
- Bizarre and Improbable Ballistics: Hinawa will shoot you. It doesnt matter how you hide or how you take cover, his abilities allow him to curve bullets and increase their explosive force.
- Cold Sniper: The most ruthless person in Company 8 and plays this flawlessly.
- Cool Hat: Starts with one. It's the only one he has that is close to cool...
- Counter Attack: His most terrifying attacks steal the heat and explosive force of his opponent's attacks to increase the force on his own attacks. Without doing this, his attacks are compared to a tank shell. By doing this, Hinawa is a living Electromagnetic Cannon.
- Cruel to Be Kind: Hinawa's philosophy. When he saw that Maki was a hard-working, honest and kind soul: he disapproved of her place within the military because he knew she would eventually crack under pressure and all her efforts would be wasted. Which is why he offered her a place in Company 8, where her moral character would be preserved.
- The Cynic: He doesn't think too highly of Shinra's motivations at first and he's often the voice of cold reason in the Company.
- Death Glare: He never blinks and his subordinances are very scared of him.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Hinawa is not only a skilled fighter, commander and researcher. He also maintained the Matchbox until Vulcan joined the team. He's so good that Vulcan thought there wasn't anything else he could do, until he started radically modifying everything and developing new technology.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He'll kneecap Shinra in the middle of the office to make a point. Hinawa will also ask him if he's worried about something. His whole relationship with Maki is an example of this. Hinawa is extremely hard on her but does have absolute faith in her abilities.
- Knight in Sour Armour: Hinawa is a pretty bitter sounding person. He'll fight for truth and justice till his dying breath.
- Knight Templar: He is dead serious about his duty to extinguish flames. Even Maki's adorable and harmless familiars are doused as soon as he sees them, to her dismay.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When faced with impossible odds, Hinawa kicks it up a notch and brings out more powerful artillery.
- Married to the Job: He's not interested in getting into relationships since his job is one where he could die at any moment.
- No Kill Like Overkill: The man fires gunshots with the power of a tank shell to make certain that he takes down his target.
- Not Afraid to Die: He is in a soldier in a world where anyone can die at any time via combustion. Hinawa doesn't care if he is killed in the line of duty. It's his concern for his allies is what pulls him through.
- Pet the Dog: Reminds Shinra that he can always come to him if he needs help.
- Pinball Projectile: Can bounce bullets off of surfaces with ease, and he can create several ricochets by manipulating sparks from bullets' impact with objects. The result can be terrifying.
- Real Men Wear Pink: In addition to all of his other skills, Hinawa is the best chef in Company 8.
- Serious Business: Everything, from cooking to modeling, demands Hinawa's utmost attention.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Uses one during a long-range battle. His ballistic means that he can increase the range. Taken Up to Eleven when he uses extended barrels to make it even more lethal.
- Would Hit a Girl: He'd shoot them too. In a heartbeat.
Voiced by: Gakuto Kajiwara (Japanese), Derick Snow (English)
The protagonist of the series and new recruit to Company 8. After his family died in a fire 12 years ago, Shinra joined the Special Fire Force Company 8 to becoming a hero. Saving people from Spontaneous Human Combustion while also aiming to uncover the truth behind his family's death. His Third Generation power allows him to create powerful flames from his feet in a number of ways.
- Anti-Antichrist: Shinra is confronted with the idea he is meant to bring about the End of the World as We Know It with his flames. After the shock wears off, he declares his intentions to protect people and fight against anything that endangers the world.
- The Anti-Nihilist: Shinra lost everything that ever mattered to him, but the experience made him realize how important it is to protect people. Believing that all life is worth saving and that everybody means something to somebody. This creates tension with Inka, who refuses Shinra's help and willfully endangers herself.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Neither he or Arthur will admit it, but underneath all their insults and yelling there is genuine respect.
- Beware the Nice Ones: A deranged serial killer turned Infernal pushes Shinra too far. So Shinra tore his arm off and terrified him into begging for his life.
- Beyond the Impossible: Shinra defies all natural laws and briefly moves faster than light without dying. Literal Divine intervention allows him to do this, but it also means he can't do this freely.
- Big Damn Heroes: Makes a habit of this. If somebody is about to die: there's a 50% chance Shinra will literally fly into the scene and break their attacker's jaw.
- Cassandra Truth: As a child, Shinra gets blown off by everyone else when he tries to tell them of the demon's existence in his home. His grinning after his family's death doesn't help matters either.
- Character Development: Shinra is always grinning out of fear and panic when the series starts because of his nervous tick. After gaining more experience over time, he's become sterner and more controlled in a crisis. Meaning his grins are either genuine or rare.
- Conspiracy Theorist: After his mother and brother were killed in a mysterious fire, Shinra is convinced that whatever caused this was less "natural". He spends the next 12 years trying to piece together the truth about the tragedy. Unsurprisingly, he's frustrated that Captain Burns is indeed covering up about what happened.
- Cosmic Keystone: Shinra has the Adolla Brust and it makes him incredibly valuable to various and often villainous groups.
- Covert Pervert: A mild example. He does find many of the woman around him attractive and was very interested in seeing Hibana pose nude, but Shinra not at all happy about seeing or imagining Iris in a state of undress. He feels that her being a nun makes such thoughts really inappropriate.
- Dance Battler: Shinra uses a breakdancing and capoeira based fighting style combined with his flames during battle.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Shinra's entire family is killed in a fire by some type of demon and when he tries to tell everyone else about it, they blow him off. Eventually, Shinra is raised by Haijima in a glorified laboratory for the next 8 years. It's pretty amazing he's so well-adjusted.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Shinra is regarded as a devil and is constantly linked to them through colour pages and chapter titles. He's also unflinchingly noble and fights to protect everyone he meets.
- Deadly Upgrade: Shinra's maximum speed puts such a stress on his body that it risks turning to charcoal and killing him. The process also involves disintegrating and reforming, so there is a chance he will simply vaporize if he makes a mistake.
- Demonic Possession: Or something like it. Shinra's body and mind gets taken over by a violent spirit. It takes a severe beating and Heroic Resolve for him to break free.
- Determinator: Even after 12 years, he still hasn't given up on finding the truth about what happened to his family.
- Diving Kick: Shinra likes to use flying or diving kicks as his signature move. As stated in his first fight against Joker:Shinra: "Heroes always do flying kicks!"
- Does Not Like Shoes: Shinra's powers burn through his shoes whenever he uses them. Meaning he's either barefoot or wearing easily removable flip-flops if it's not a formal event. Plus the fire-based nature of his powers handles any issues with going barefooted in cold conditions.
- The Empath: Shinra is sympathetic to other people to an almost supernatural extreme. Over time he gains the ability to detect strong emotions (including killing intent) through the Adolla. He eventually weaponizes this by using this power to drag his brother into a vision of the past. Forcing them to experience and share each others emotions and their history. They stop the battle.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: It helps him build up momentum and keep attacking.
- Extremity Extremist: Downplayed. Shinra fights mostly using his feet, but also uses his speed to strengthen his punches if needed.
- Face of a Thug: Due to his trauma, he often slips into a rictus Slasher Smile simply due to stress. Because of this, many assume that he is mocking them or enjoying others suffering.
- Flying Firepower: Shinra is able to perform fire-boosted jumps, hover or fly using his powers.
- Giver of Lame Names: When Shinra names something like an ability, it'll sound terrible. People often just offer him something else. His Hellfire attack is the only exception so far.
- Grin of Audacity: When he's not grinning out of fear, it's one of these. Often when his plan is incredibly dangerous.
- Hellish Pupils: Downplayed. Shinra has white pupils that give him a demonic glint in his eyes. Nobody really comments on this. Curiously, flashbacks to his childhood show him with normal eyes until his family died.
- The Hero: He's desperately trying to live up to the role of "hero" by saving people.
- Hot-Blooded: He's very passionate about his goal of being hero. Also that devilish grin on his face in the heat of battle can be a source of his fiery motivation.
- Kicking My Own Butt: Knees himself in the face to regain his focus and prove his ideals.
- The Leader: If the Captain or Lieutenant isn't around, Shinra will often be trusted with leading whatever mission his team is sent on.
- Lightning Bruiser: After some special training, Shinra becomes capable of propelling himself forward at amazing speed. Increasing his speed means increasing the damage of his attacks. Moving at light-speed means he can crush a Demon Infernal in less than a second.
- Nice Guy: Shinra does his best to help everyone he meets. Even people who have set him on fire get his unflinching kindness if he thinks they are worth it. The only person in his daily life who doesn't consider him a friend is Arthur, and that's because they are rivals instead.
- Oh, Crap!: Freaked out when he encountered an Infernal with Horns, because it reminded him of the thing that killed his mother.
- Only Sane Man: You know Company 8 are a bunch of oddballs when a guy everybody calls a devil is usually the most well-adjusted member.
- Running Gag:
- Often calls himself by an overly descriptive superhero that is only relevant to the situation he's in. They all have to end with "Man".
- Other people calling him a demon or devil is another.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: He has black hair, while his brother had white hair.
- Slasher Smile: His most defining visual trait. If he's scared or nervous: Shinra will grin like a devil.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Shinra feels bad about having to kill Infernals. He also feels bad for Hibana after hearing her sob story, this makes her angrier.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Because the Fire Force is full of corruption and arrogance, Shinra often invokes this trope. Company 7 actually appreciate it because it shows he has a spine.
- When He Smiles: At the end of his first mission, realizing he has taken his first step towards his dream of becoming a real hero, Shinra gives his first genuine smile in years.
- Would Hit a Girl: When confronted by Princess Hibana, Shinra has no problem pummeling her until she came to her senses. He also fights a woman from the cult without comment. He even tried to kick Inka in the face.
Voiced by: Yuusuke Kobayashi (Japanese), Eric Vale (English)
A fresh recruit to Company 8 with delusions of grandeur. The self-appointed Knight King, Arthur uses his powers to make a blade out of plasma that can cut through almost anything called Excalibur. He was also Shinra's rival in high-school and they can't stand each other.
- Book Dumb: He hated every lesson taught in a classroom and looks like he's dying when faced with paperwork.
- Calling Your Attacks: One of the things Arthur had to be taught by Beni during their training session was to quit doing this (and talking in general) so he can take advantage of the element of surprise.
- Catchphrase: He'll give a cocky 'Heh' every once in a while. Shinra is convinced Arthur does it when he's confused and just wants to look aloof and cool.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: It's literally the source of his power. The more detached from reality he becomes, the more powerful Arthur becomes. Likewise, being brought back down to Earth makes him much weaker.
- Crippling Overspecialization: He doesn't really have any techniques to follow a strike that connects but doesn't cut, leaving him at a massive disadvantage.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: If it's something he can cut, Arthur can normally defeat it with a swing of his sword. This means he destroys the standard Infernals very quickly, possibly faster than the rest of the main cast.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Arthur might be a fool, but he's a fearless fool. He won't stop searching for answers when faced with overwhelming foes or advice from smarter characters. This makes him invaluable when more mature or intelligent people are too worried to continue.
- Hidden Depths: He's memorized pi to one million places. He's also really good at welding.
- Hyper-Awareness: Arthur has tremendous reflexes and attempts counter any attack. Because he does this instinctively, it's very easy to bait his response and exploit his openings.
- Idiot Hero: Arthur is probably one of the dumbest in existence. He begins a fight with an enhanced Infernal and thinks something is "off" when he starts losing, causing his opponent to laugh and criticize him for making excuses. Arthur then suddenly realizes he's fighting with his left hand. This isn't him holding back or getting caught in an illusion, he literally didn't realize he was using the wrong hand. He switches to his right hand and promptly annihilates his foe with a single strike. Later he actually has to remind himself that the "hand he uses chopsticks with" is the correct hand to hold Excalibur.
- Insistent Terminology: Knights, knights and knights. Arthur will stop himself if he begins to think in a way that puts another part of his public persona above his knightly duties.
- I See Them, Too: He might be able to see spirits of the Adolla. He's currently the only one without a direct connection to the Adolla with that ability.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Arthur's understanding of knights, quests and strategy comes from video games. It works much better than you'd expect.
- Knight in Shining Armor: He heavily leans into the King Arthur mythos for his knight motif. This ranges from calling his sword "Excalibur", calling himself a "knight king", Company's 8 HQ a "castle" and Maki and Iris as the castles' princesses. Of course, it is a knight's duty to fight monsters and protect the populace.
- The Lancer: He directly contrasts Shinra in terms of personality and appearance, but they always get paired up and he will follow Shinra's directions.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Believing it to be part of the test of the Rookie Tournament, he lunges to attack Joker, who was an intruder, instead of reporting to the brigade despite Shinra's warnings and protests.
- They Really Do Love Each Other: Arthur would never admit it, but he does respect Shinra's heroic vision.
- Too Dumb to Fool: Quickly notices deception and can see things others can't.
- Malaproper: Arthur when tries to say something noble and knightly there's a high chance he'll mess it up and say the wrong thing or stumble over his words. Or try to correct himself even after getting it right. The most extreme example is when he just gives up and says 'heh'.
- Naming Your Attacks: Arthur makes a habit of using 'knight' in the majority of his attack names. Likely because it's hard to be creative when you are using a simple punch or kick.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Arthur shows no interest in girls and reacts to Tamaki's bad luck with annoyance more than anything.
- No-Sell: He can brush off the electrical powers of Hau Mea due to the fact that Plasma is stronger.
- Not So Different / Not So Similar: He and Shinra might have a lot in common, but they are also completely different. It's why they can't stand each other, yet also function well together. It's implied Arthur relates to Shinra's denial over killing his family and claims of heroism despite everyone judging him. Because Arthur is also denying the fate of his parents and claims to be a knight despite being mocked for it. The difference is that Shinra is telling the truth while Arthur is playing make-believe.
- Parental Abandonment: Arthur's parents left on an important adventure when he was young. In reality, they abandoned him after their debts became unmanageable. Arthur is just deluding himself, but it's implied he does actually understand why they disappeared on some level.
- Only I Can Kill Him:
- Because of his plasma abilities, he's the only person in Company 8 who can counter Haumea's electricity powers. He is often sent to deal with her because of this.
- He openly says this about Shinra, but it's almost mean as a term of endearment.
- Stock Shōnen Rival: Played With. Arthur and Shinra are always bickering and treat each other like enemies, but Arthur's typical rival stoicism is just the result of him being simple-minded.
- Warrior Therapist: Plays this role briefly. Beating Shinra until he snapped out of the mind control he was put under during the Company 4 arc.
- Would Hit a Girl: Arthur's chivalry doesn't stop him from fighting women when he has to. Given that Maki completely floored him early in the series, it's safe to say it's a smart choice.
Voiced by: Saeko Kamijo (Japanese), Sarah Roach (English)
A first-class Soldier of Company 8 and former member of the Tokyo military. On the surface she's a completely ideal co-worker and officer, dig a little deeper and she's actually more silly than you'd expect. Regardless of her personality Maki is a capable fighter with powerful Second Generation fire manipulation and deadly hand-to-hand combat skills.
- Action Girl: Maki can and will break people. Shinra and Arthur learned that the hard way during their first sparring match.
- Amazonian Beauty: Maki has a muscular physique, a product of her military background. This causes her to be a bit self-conscious about her body despite her pretty looks.
- Anti-Magic: Control over fire includes that of third-generation prokinetics. She demonstrates in a spar with Shinra that she can extinguish the flames he ignites from his feet and then turns Excalibur's blade into more of her familiars.
- Attack Reflector: Can use her second-generation abilities to throw attacks back to her foes.
- Berserk Button: Calling her a 'gorilla cyclops' makes her furious. The problem is that she interprets all insults as somebody calling her a 'gorilla cyclops'.
- Cool Hat: Her uniform helmet is modeled after a witch's hat.
- Cute Bruiser: As Flail the cultist's men will attest to.
- Cute Witch: Self-consciousness aside, Maki is very attractive. The witch part is mostly in appearance.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Spends a chapter beating down a whole group of Ash Knights with ease before moving on like nothing happened.
- Daddy's Girl: She's the apple of her father's eye. She left the military to join the Fire Force, which caused some strain on their relationship but they've mostly gotten over it.
- Familiar: Sputter and Flare (Pusa Pusa and Meru Meru in fan translations) are little orbs of fire Maki makes whenever she can.
- Lady of War: Maki is proper and dignified, even in combat. 90% of the time...
- Love Freak: She adores the idea of love. She isn't interested in getting into a relationship, but she is positively giddy over the idea that Shinra might be the one for Iris. She doesn't seem to notice that Iris is a devoted nun.
- Magic Knight: She's amazingly talented at both fire control and melee combat.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: She gains Owl-Themed iron weapons that use Sputter and Flare to attack and defend.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's a very attractive and the camera loves zooming in on her assets, be it her ample chest or her muscles. One of her very first scenes is a Shower Scene showing her Toplessness from the Back that displays her athletic figure.
- Muscle Angst: Downplayed, but she was jealous of Iris and Hibana's "flexible and girly bodies" (in her words) when the three showered together in chapter 21 compared to her more built body. That being said she happily took Hibana's compliment on her muscular body in the same chapter.
- No Listening Skills: Explicitly for insults. Everything in her head filters into 'gorilla cyclops' and it's her Berserk Button.
- Playing with Fire: She is the only person in Company 8 who control fire like a traditional pyromancer. She also casually plays with fire around the office, which gets her in trouble with Lieutenant.
- Reluctant Warrior: Despite being the powerhouse, Maki doesn't want to hurt people. She joined Company 8 to help people, so she's not really a fan of having to beat other officers into the dirt.
- Shout-Out: During her sparring match against Shinra and Arthur in episode 2, the giant fireball she summons is named Bobobo Bo Bobobo.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: When Shinra rescues Iris at the start of the series, she is quick to call it a Meet Cute Rescue Romance and even points out how sweeping her off her feet princess-style is like a fairy tale. She seriously asks Iris, a nun, if this means Shinra is her One True Love. Iris' response? Thinking that Maki's mind is full of "sparkles and rainbows".
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She's very muscular and powerful Fire Force officer who regularly wears pants instead of skirts but deeply enjoys cute things, is a Love Freak and would like to be more girly.
Voiced by: Aoi Yuki (Japanese), Jad Saxton (English)
One of the latest recruits to Company 1 and their resident Cute Clumsy Girl. Tamaki is a stand-offish young woman with cat-themed powers. Despite her attitude, Tamaki is a kind-hearted person who wants to protect others.
- Butt-Monkey: Life isn't fair to Tamaki. Her near-supernatural clumsiness results in a 'Lucky Lecher Lure', which means she is either stumbling out of her clothes or landing into compromising situations with men.
- Cat Girl: Her abilities give her cat ears and twin tails of flame. She also has narrow pupils that glow. Gives her a very cat-like gaze. As she taps more into her power, her fire creates cat armor essentially.
- Clothing Damage: Tamaki has had her clothes torn or beaten in a few fights. Especially her tights, which get torn and ripped.
- Cowardly Lion: Her lack of experience means she is often afraid of powerful opponents and dangerous situations. Despite this, she still fights to protect others.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She is known to be exceptionally clumsy, which she blames her "Lucky Lewd Syndrome" for, resulting in her stumbling into embarrassing or humiliating situations, for which she often blames others.
- Cry Cute: After being saved by Shinra, her bottled emotions about the situation come out as she cries on the spot.
- Declaration of Protection:
- Even though she is terrified, Tamaki stands her ground against a master assassin to defend Iris. She ultimately fumbles into another embarrassing situation and works with Iris to beat him down in his embarrassment. It wasn't the graceful or noble showcase she was hoping for, but Iris clearly appreciates her effort.
- She does this again with Juggernaut after he passes out from blood loss protecting her. She promises to drag him out of danger no matter what.
- Defiant to the End: It doesn't matter what she is put through, Tamkai will still put up a fight.
- Does Not Like Men: Downplayed. She actually gets along with most of the men she works with. Because of her 'issue', Tamaki likes to keep her distance from males.
- Hero Worship: She looks up to the Lieutenants of Company 1 and respects her captain immensely. This blows up in her face when it's revealed Rekka is a serial killer and he almost beats her to death.
- Ignored Enamored Underling: It's heavily implied that she's in love with Rekka but he clearly sees her as a little sister and has no idea. This doesn't stop her from trying to take him down the second she learns he is evil.
- Laser-Guided Karma: She arguably got demoted in the face of most of the other companies for her accidental actions by being transferred to Company 8 after accidentally helping Rekka, but it was very likely for her protection that she was transferred specifically there.
- Last-Name Basis: Often calls Shinra by his surname, which is odd in-universe as most people are on First-Name Basis with everyone in their lives.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The anime's promotional character art proudly showed off her Company 8 insignia before airing, giving away that she would join the group.
- Made of Iron: She has incredibly high fire resistance — so much that Licht thinks she can survive fire blasts that could kill Shinra.
- Ms. Fanservice: Tamaki is known to get into exceptionally fanservicey situations due to her clumsiness, a problem she termed "Lucky Lewd Syndrome".
- Naked Apron: Tamaki is something of a disaster in the kitchen. She at one point puts an apron over her jumpsuit and (bafflingly) ends up losing very shred of clothing except for the apron.
- Nuns Are Mikos: Despite all her issues and misfortune, Tamaki is a fully qualified nun. Religious qualifications seem to be a requirement for Company 1 members. She latter embraces this role fully during a major crisis and the Journey to China.
- Pride: She grows out of it, but she was originally extremely prideful in her company's superiority and her own strength.
- Red Herring: She is made to seem like she is part of the serial killer plot, but she is the Fall Guy for the killer.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: She doesn't like her body being exposed as a result of her 'Lucky Lecher Lure' and usually has a Naked Freak-Out whenever it happens. She has to wear a bikini under a cut-off uniform (necessary, as a result of the way her powers work) and has a habit of accidentally tripping chest/crotch/boobs-first into people and then accusing them of sexual harassment. In what's probably the ultimate example of this, she somehow loses all her clothes by tripping which proves that she's the real deal in place of a body doubling cultist to Iris. However, she doesn't seem to have a problem wearing a bikini top and a open uniform jacket or her trousers with large gaps in the sides.
- Running Gag: Her Lure. The secondary joke is that the men she works with just stop caring after a while.
- Ship Tease:
- Mostly with Shinra who she at first disliked but has gotten closer to. Even screaming his name when she's in trouble.
- She and Juggernaut have gotten closer as time has passed. It's unclear if Tamaki sees him in a romantic way but he's pretty obvious about it.
- The Sixth Ranger: Ends up transferring to Company 8 on a temporary basis. Chooses to stay permanently later.
- Stripperific: Justified. Tamaki's flame tails come from her body, so she needs to have gaps in her trousers to use them effectively and avoid Clothing Damage.
- The justification goes out of the window in a later arc where she uses her powers while wearing both a long jacket and tights without burning them at all.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Is the punk-ish tomboy to Iris' very girly girl personality.
- Tsundere: Tamaki is rude and abrasive to a lot of characters, but sweet to her commanding officers. She clearly respects Shinra and doesn't really mind the idea of giving him her phone number. But she also yells at him and wants to be strong enough so she doesn't have to rely on him.
Mechanical, Chemical and Support Members
Voiced by: M·A·O (Japanese), Alexis Tipton (English)
A sister originating from The Holy Sol Temple and a member of the Special Fire Force Company 8. She is in charge of praying for the souls of the Infernals the Fire Force exorcises.
- Adorkable: Cutely jealous that the others got to travel to Asakusa without her. She even tries to copy the area's slang when talking to an Asakusan native, much to their confusion.
- Bad Liar: She clearly doesn't have much experience in deception because Shinra can see right through her.
- Combat Pragmatist: Shockingly. Shell beat an assassin senseless with a pipe if he lets his guard down.
- Day In The Lime Light: She gets a mini-arc devoted to her Crisis of Faith when she and Shinra visiting a Church.
- The Face: After an 'exorcism', Iris is the one to inform the public that souls have been laded to rest.
- Foil: To Hibana. They survived the same tragedy. While Hibana is completely broken by it and driven to cynicism, Iris is still able to believe in goodness.
- Good Shepherd: She's a nun from the Holy Sol Temple. It's her job to pray for the souls of Infernals so they can rest in peace.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Blonde and the gentlest person of the Company.
- The Heart: Defined by her unshakable kindness to others.
- Identical Stranger: Bares a striking resemblance to a woman who appears in Shinra's dreams. Hitohashira Me's Slasher Smile is the big difference between the two.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Again, they highlight her kindness.
- Innocently Insensitive: Iris sometimes has remarks that cut people to the bone. Such as comforting Maki by telling her she wonderful and beautiful 90% of the time but that the other 10% is a problem. It's clear if this is snark or if Iris genuinely doesn't notice is insensitivity.
- The Medic: Iris has some knowledge of first aid, to the point she can treat a gunshot wound.
- Nuns Are Mikos: The setting has a religion surrounding a Fire God of Creation, the Holy Sol Temple invokes clear cut Catholic Church aesthetics in its character and location designs, but Iris can be seen performing purification rites such as washing ones body in meditation and prayers straight out of Shinto beliefs.
- Team Pet: Hibana accuses her and all religious specialist in the Fire Force of this. Being decoration to make the act of killing Inferals look noble.
- Only One Name: As an orphan without a family, Iris doesn't have a surname.
- Shameful Strip: She ends up getting her clothes burned off by Hibana when trying to talk to her. Despite this, Hibana gives Iris a jacket to cover up with.
- What Does This Button Do?: Can't resist pushing the buttons scattered around and eccentric genius' home.
Viktor Licht / The Chemist
Voiced by: Daisuke Sakaguchi (Japanese), Ian Sinclair (English)
Originally a scientist for Haijima Industries and an expert of incendiary research, Viktor joins Company 8 to get into the action. While strange, weird and difficult to like, Licht is invaluable due to his wide range of knowledge, calm observations, and investigation skills. He's also allied with Joker.
- Black Sheep: The only member of Company 8 who was forced onto the team by an outside group.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves the day during his introductory arc.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Licht is creepy, eccentric and utterly brilliant.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has his moments, like reminding everyone he is the uninvited guest of Company 8. His Character Profile is both extremely pedantic and incredibly vague as if he is trying to annoy whoever is reading it while also telling them nothing.
- Deuteragonist: The amount of internal monologue he has had since his introduction rivals Shinra's.
- Empty Eyes: In a series notable for bizarre pupils, Licht is notable for having no pupils whatsoever. Making his dark green eyes seem more unsettling.
- Information Wants to Be Free: He really wants to uncover the truth and is more reckless than most.
- Irony: Hides more secrets should be possible. Believes truth and transparency are vital to the world.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: Wears a labcoat over casual clothes. He also claims that he wears it underneath his Fire Force uniform.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: He runs this risk. When Licht's employers realize he will stop following orders soon, they plan on having him killed. Literally the first thing Viktor does after this is implied does is turncoat.
- The Mole: Almost everyone is worried that Viktor is a spy working for Haijima. He is, but has no loyalty to the corporation. He even openly lies to them if he has to. But he is feeding information at Joker.
- Mister Exposition: As a scientific genius with a wide variety of knowledge, Licht often has to explain the nature of things. Often expositing the current and historical state of the world.
- Nice Shoes: Wears neat running shoes with his lab coat.
- Not That Kind of Doctor:
- Vik is a genius researcher and theorist in many ways, but he is not an engineer.
- He's also not a medic. He can apply basic medicine in the field but he's not a surgeon.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: Clarifies that he's on whatever side will reveal the truth. That said, he's got some standards, and he hints that he's Becoming the Mask from his time spent with the 8th.
- Non-Action Guy: Viktor can't fight and he lacks much muscle. When the time comes, he sides with Shinra by decking a guy and helping him escape from Kurono to save a child. Because even Licht has some pride.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He's still regarded as a genius, but Licht still knows a lot more than he lets on.
- Obviously Evil: Again, everyone thinks Viktor is up to no good. They just don't know why or what. This is thrown into question because he's always helpful. When he tells Company 8 he's meant to be a mole for Haijima, only Iris is shocked. They are a little more shocked by his standing order being to spy on Shinra.
- Spell My Name with an "S": 'Victor' in the fan translation, 'Viktor' in the official translation.
- The Strategist: When confronted by a giant crisis, Licht is the one to mastermind a solution using all the powers available to him.
- Running Gag: Nobody trusts him. All of Company 8's allies mention this in private or tell it to Viktor's face. Normally threatening him.
- Unreliable Expositor: He doesn't know everything and doesn't share everything he does know. Thankfully, the audience get at least some type of understanding of things through his inner monologue while the cast remains in the dark.
- Your Days Are Numbered: When this becomes a problem, Licht doesn't let it bother him and focuses on doing as much good as he can. Which involves a little Xanatos Speed Chess.
Vulcan JosephA genius engineer with unparalleled skill. Vulcan's family has major historical importance to the Tokyo Empire as well as a sorted past with the Fire Force and Haijima. He makes up for his lack of powers with his sheer genius. While everyone else is hoping to fix the Infernal crisis, Vulcan is a Friend to All Living Things with dreams of finding ways of fixing the damage done to the world so animals of all types can live safely.
- Always Someone Better: You might be smart. You might be an inventor of national fame. Vulcan is always better than you.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Is placed under amazing pressure to swallow his pride and join Hajima. He doesn't bend.
- Badass Normal: He'll fend for himself if he has to.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Will take something apart like he's playing the drums, put it back together and try to smash it to pieces to see if it's unbreakable. Couple his extreme methods with a bizarre sense of design and Vulcan will make something that looks absurd but thousands of times more useful than anyone else.
- Cool Mask: It's basically a goat skull with google lenses.
- Enemy Mine: Has no plan to stay with the Fire Force, but it's either working together or die horribly. Vulcan makes the smart choice.
- Establishing Character Moment: Introduced with a machine designed solely to throw his trash at people bothering him with job offers and letting Shinra's group know he does not care what they think about him. He even gives them insults they can use against him if they want.
- Family of Choice: After his father and grandfather died, Vulcan set up a new family with friends he protected.
- Friend to All Living Things: He loves animals and his goal is to make robot versions of all the animals that went extinct or create a power source capable of preserving all life. Even when reduced to abject poverty, he still feeds the birds and stray cats around his workshop.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Everyone wants his support because his inventions are so advanced. His scientific knowledge seems to be about a hundred years ahead of everyone else.
- Insufferable Genius:
- He is obsessed with testing the strength and durability of his inventions. Meaning that he will smash a perfectly good device by throwing it across the room to make something stronger.
- He also basically vandalizes everything in Company 8's base to fit his rock-and-roll animal-loving style.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He is a massive pain to deal with. But Vulcan is a good guy underneath it all.
- In the Blood: He comes from a long line of hyper-talented inventors.
- The Promise: Vulcan promised to his grandfather he would never help the Fire Force after what they did to his family. By the end of his introduction he has to break this oath to protect his new family.
- Science Hero: More of a fighter than Viktor as he is able to handle a combat situation through quick thinking the occasional gadget.
- Single-Target Sexuality: He never expresses any interest in any woman besides Lisa.
- Teen Genius: Amazingly intelligent.
- True Companions: Vulcan believes that nothing can break the bonds between people who love each other and will fight to prove it.
- Would Not Hit a Girl: At least he wouldn't hit Iris for knocking on his door. That's his standard of politeness.