980 years ago, there was a huge war between humans and dragons known as the Scouring. Mankind won this battle, but mainly thanks to the efforts of eight warriors wielding powerful weapons forged to effectively combat dragons. These eight warriors became known as the "Eight Legends" (or "Eight Divine Generals" in the Japanese version) and their weapons became known as the "Divine General Weapons" (sometimes referred to as just "Divine Weapons").
- Expy: Their legendary status and the divine weapons they come with harkens back to the Twelve Crusaders of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War.
- Posthumous Character: Naturally. Not so with Athos and Bramimond (at first), until they succumb during and after the game's events and become this in The Binding Blade.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The titles of their weapons have a wide range of names. For example, Forblaze has: "The Scorching Reason", "The Infernal Element", and "The Reason of Hellfire". No officially localized game has given them a proper title with the exception of "The Thunder Axe" Armads, "The Blazing Blade" Durandal, and "The Binding Blade".
- Wizards Live Longer: Athos and Bramimond are still alive nearly a thousand years after the Scouring.
Roland the Little HeroThe founder of Lycia and owner of the Blazing Blade, Durandal. His spirit appears before Eliwood and Athos when they come to claim the Durandal to use against Nergal; with Eliwood claiming the sword, his spirit finally disappears.
- BFS: Durandal, the Blazing Blade, is sometimes depicted to be as long as Eliwood's horse, although in Roland's hand it is much more reasonably proportioned. (See the image above.)
- Expecting Someone Taller: Eliwood's reaction to learning exactly who he is (upon viewing his ghost speaking with Athos) demonstrates his surprise at how ordinary (and small) one of the Eight Legends and an ancestor he looks up to is.
- The Lancer
- Red Baron: "The Little Hero"note .
- Playing with Fire: Durandal.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He is born with blue hair, making it a hereditary trait to the House of Ostia.
Hartmut the ChampionThe leader of the Eight Legends, and the founder and first King of Bern. He was the bearer of two divine swords: Eckesachs and the Binding Blade.
- Chekhov's Gunman: He defeated the leader of the dragons, but sealed her away instead of killing her since she was an Anti-Villain. Said leader? None other than Idunn. To say nothing of his role in Champion's Sword...
- The Good King: Founded Bern and is held in high regard in all of the nations.
- The Hero: Said to be the leader of the group. It's also speculated that he may have belonged to either the Hero class or a souped-up custom variant a la the surviving members of the Legends.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Had both his own blade, Eckesachs, and the Binding Blade.
- Knight in Shining Armor: The opening mural depicts him as this.
- Red Baron: "The Champion".
- Suddenly Ethnicity: His own wife and son were dragons, which he was not aware of for many years.
- Sympathy for the Devil: When he finally came face to face with the Demon Dragon, all he saw was a girl with no will of her own, and merely subdued and sealed her away so that she may possibly live to see a better fate. Roy ensures this comes to pass in the best ending of The Binding Blade.
- Transforming Weapon: His sword Eckesachs could transform into a elegant-looking scepter to dictate as royalty.
Barigan the Knight of KnightsThe founder of Ilia and owner of the Spear of Ice, Maltet.
- An Ice Person: Maltet.
- The Big Guy
- Blade on a Stick: Maltet, the Lance of Ice And Snow.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Likely regardless of which of his speculated classes he was. Some theorize he was a Paladin based from the pre-title screen narration of The Blazing Blade seen above showing him on a horse and because all of the Ilian mercenaries in both games are mounted units (Pegasus Knights if female and Cavaliers if male), while others take note of the fact that in Binding Blade, all of the other Divine Weapons were found in a Gaiden chapter whose boss was of the same class as the corresponding legend (a Hero for Durandal, a Berserker for Armads, a Sage for Forblaze, a Bishop for Aureola, a Nomadic Trooper for Mulagir, and a Druid for Apocalypse) and extrapolate from the boss guarding Maltet.
- Red Baron: "Knight of Knights" or "Holy Knight".
Bramimond the EnigmaOne of the three magic users in the group, who wields Dark Magic. His tome is the Silencing Darkness, Apocalypse. He's still sort of alive in the modern era, maintaining the seal upon the Divine Weapons and unlocking them at the behest of Athos, Eliwood, Hector, and Lyn.
- Appearance Is in the Eye of the Beholder: Bramimond's self has been so thoroughly obliterated that he no longer has an appearance of his own. While he mirrors the personality of whoever he is speaking to, anyone talking with him will only see their own face and hear their own voice.
- Black Magic: His signature tome, Apocalypse.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Still a heroic force even after being consumed by the darkness.
- The Dark Side Will Make You Forget: To the point that Athos no longer sees fit to call Bramimond a "he", saying that it has no personality of its own and is merely a mirror that reflects the person addressing it. This may be a simple acknowledgement of the fact that Bramimond no longer seems to have a real gender.
- Death of Personality: His search for knowledge through the dark arts mean that he no longer even has a personality of his own.
- Empty Shell: The dark powers have destroyed everything human about him, leaving only a vessel.
- Hidden Eyes: As a side effect of being seen through the eyes of the Featureless Protagonist.
- Really 700 Years Old: Like Athos, he was alive at the time of The Blazing Blade.
- Red Baron: "The Enigma".
- The Smart Guy
- Sole Survivor: Along with Athos at the start of the game; then Athos dies, meaning he really is the Sole Survivor. He outright states he won't last much longer, though, and he too is nowhere to be found by the time The Binding Blade comes round.
Saint ElimineThe second magic user, and the founder of Etruria as well as the St. Elimine Order. She wielded Light magic and her tome was the Supreme Light, Aureola; she also bore the Holy Maiden staff.
- Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence: It's believed that she never died, just ascended to Heaven from a tower located in Aquleia, the capital of Etruria.
- Canon Foreigner: In Mario Kart: Double Dash!!... sorta. You have to link up the bonus disk to your Blazing Blade copy to get her to give you items.
- The Chick
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: The Mario Kart game shows the image of a beautiful and sweet-looking blonde.◊ She's also said to be the one with the softest heart among the Legends.
- Light 'em Up: Her signature tome, Aureola.
- Magical Girl Warrior
- Pink Is Feminine: Her Mario Kart picture has her wearing a white dress, a single white long glove... and a long pink/purple stole.
- Red Baron: "Blessed Saint Elimine".
- Religion Is Magic: She's the reason why.
- Woman in White
Athos the ArchsageThe third magic user of the band, and the Anima Magic user (originally). After the war, he left to live in solitude in the Nabata Desert. Actually, not that alone, since he also found the village of Arcadia where dragons and humans lived in seclusion and peace. 1000 years after The Scouring, he and Bramimond are the only ones left. His tome is the Scorching Reason, Forblaze.
For more information, see here.
- Cain and Abel: With his companion during the Nabata travels... Nergal.
- Living Legend: One of the only two heroes of the Scouring to survive after nearly 1,000 years, and the only one who remains relatively well known.
- Playing with Fire: His signature tome, Forblaze.
- Red Baron: "The Archsage".
- The Smart Guy
- Sole Survivor: Along with Bramimond, though to be fair, both of them are Really 700 Years Old...
- Wizard Beard
Hanon the Divine TrooperThe Action Girl of the group, and founder of Sacae. Her weapon is the Gale Bow, Mulagir.
- Action Girl: Out of the Eight Legends, only she and Elimine are female and she is a renowned archer.
- Blow You Away: The Mulagir is known as the Gale Bow.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: As the only physically oriented Legend, she wields a bow.
- Horse Archer: She founded a nation with a strong tradition in firing arrows from horseback, so she ought to be one as well. Her weapon is Mulagir, the Gale Bow.
- Red Baron: "Divine Trooper".
- She's a Man in Japan: The English version of Blazing Blade refers to her as a male by mistake. Heroes pointedly corrects this by having the Brave version of Lyn (who uses Mulagir) refer to Hanon as a woman.
Durban the BerserkerThe fearsome axefighter of the team, who retired to the Western Isles. His sacred axe is named Armads. His spirit appears before Hector when he comes to claim Armads to use against Nergal; with Hector claiming the axe, his spirit finally disappears.
- An Axe to Grind: Armads.
- The Berserker: Also his Red Baron nickname.
- The Big Guy
- Blood Knight: Benevolent version.
- I Call It "Vera": Something of an inversion, he has taken to associating himself with his axe Armads to the point of calling himself "Armads".
- I Have Many Names: Well, not him, but Armads has plenty according to him: The Dragonhunter, the Fleshbiter, the Bonecrusher, the Skullbreaker, the Doombringer.
- Shock and Awe: Armads.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
- You Can't Fight Fate: Warns Hector that if he takes up Armads, he is dooming himself to a painful death on the battlefield someday. Hector doesn't care as long as it keeps his friends safe.