The ExplorerThe player's created character in Final Fantasy Explorers who serves as the lead protagonist of the game.
- An Adventurer Is You: Each Job fulfills one or more archetypes.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Most voiced characters will call him/her "Explorer".
- Evolving Attack: Uses ability mutations to enhance and customize abilities.
- Job System
FreelancerFreelancers are not particularly gifted in one field, but have great freedom in abilities and gear they can equip.
In addition to attacks, Knights boast numerous defensive abilities.
- Practical Taunt: The Provoke ability.
- Stone Wall
- Weapon of Choice
While Monks have low defense, they overwhelm their foes with ferocious physical blows.
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Glass Cannon
- Supernatural Martial Arts
- Counter Attack: The Counter ability assumes a defensive stance. If an enemy hits the Monk during that time, he/she blocks the attack and strikes the foe.
- Flash Step: The Vacuum Wave ability.
- Incendiary Exponent: The Tiger Rush ability.
- Kamehame Hadoken: The Aura Cannon ability.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: The Explosive Fists ability.
- Wolverine Claws: Some weapon options for Knuckles resemble this, and they change your punching damage from Striking to Slashing.
Rangers specialize in long-distance physical attacks, with a multitude of abilities that inflict status ailments on their foes.
- Colony Drop: The Stardust ability.
- Long-Range Fighter
- Standard Status Effects
- Weapon of Choice: Archer Archetype
White Mages specialize in healing and support to aid their comrades in a tight spot.
Black mages are experts of offensive magic, raining damage on their foes from afar.
Thieves possess the unique ability to steal items from enemies, allowing the player to pilfer a variety of materials.
Time Mages aid their comrades with a plethora of time manipulation spells, such as haste and slow, and offensive magic, such as gravity and meteor.
Ninjas use their vast number of combat-enhancing skills, high speed, and high evasion to confound the enemy.
- Dual Wielding: Can naturally equip two ninjato at once.
Dark Knights use powerful scythes to cause tremendous damage, making for a perfect heavy-hitting character.
- BFG: Artillery weapons.
- Guns Akimbo: Once the Job is mastered, Machinists can equip two guns at a time.
- The Gunslinger
- Unrealistic Black Hole: The Black Hole ability.
The Rune Strike, a special ability of Geomancers, takes time to charge, but raises their magic power with each hit.
- Improbable Weapon User: Geomancers can equip bells
- Geo Effects: Terrain Bonus gives various buffs based on the terrain their standing on.
- Trap Master: the unique skill Trap sets up a trap that when sprung deals huge damage and can even inflict stop.
- Weapon of Choice: Carry a Big Stick: Geomancers are the only class who is proficient with clubs. Their other equipable weapon, bells, also uses club skills.
- Drop the Hammer: Hammers in Explorers are referred to as clubs.
- Coup de Grâce: The ability of the same name restores your HP and AP if you can finish an enemy with it.
- In a Single Bound: The Dragoon's exclusive Jump ability.
- Jousting Lance: A few weapons qualify. Additionally the Puncture move resembles the charging lance attack from Monster Hunter.
- Spam Attack: The Puncture and Mercurial Thrust abilities.
- Throwing Your Spear Always Works: The Areadbhar ability.
- Weapon of Choice: Blade on a Stick.
Alchemists are experts when it comes to using items, combining attacks with alchemy to react to a variety of different situations.
Beast MasterDespite a slower attack speed, Beast Masters use their powerful axe to pack a real punch.
- The Beast Master Specializes around having monster allies. Their Tame attack lets them get atmaliths far easier than normal.
- Mighty Glacier
- Weapon of Choice: An Axe to Grind
- Whip It Good Tame resembles a whip when used
Blue Mages have a unique ability to learn and master techniques used by the enemy, allowing them to fulfill many different roles.
Bards enhance their comrades' abilities from the rear by playing special songs using their instruments as weapons.
CidThe mayor of Libertas.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices his Crystal capacitor so you can get to Therion. Fortunately, this does not kill him. It simply means he can no longer be an Explorer, but he was retired anyway.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
LudioAn explorer found just before the gates out of town. He teachers explorers the basics.
SuramaA mysterious visitor in red.
- King Incognito: More like Eidolon incognito. Surama is Amaterasu in human form.
All provide example of:
- Adaptational Villainy: With the exception of the Canon Foreigners, the Eidolons are comprised of recurring summons who aid the heroes in prior Final Fantasy games. Subverted when the Awful Truth comes out that they've been fighting you in order to protect the planet from humanity's abuse of Crystal Energy.
- Boss Battle
- Fighting a Shadow: No matter how many times you destroy or Encase an Eidolon, it'll just keep coming back.
- Nature Spirit: The majority of Eidolons represent an element of nature and can be found in a thematically appropriate setting.
The flower-like eidolon's attacks inflict a cornucopia of status ailments.
- Canon Foreigner: Has not appeared in a previous Final Fantasy game.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Her Upheaval attack causes earthquakes.
- Nice Hat: The venus fly trap-like plant on top of her head resembles a wide brimmed hat with a feather.
- Plant Person
- Standard Status Effects: Her specialty.
Spreading its mighty wings, Phoenix unleashes a storm of fireballs to destroy explorers.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Phoenix's unique skill, "Flames of Rebirth", allows it to completely heal its HP when brought down to the last of its HP. It takes several moments to execute, though, so fast-acting Explorers can down it before it can recover.
- Kill It with Fire
Bahamut, the King of Dragons, is the only eidolon to appear in every game in the series.—-
- Elemental Powers: Bahamut has four breath attacks based on Fire, Ice, Thunder, and Wind.
- Fantastic Nuke: Megaflare
Diabolos uses many attacks that manipulate space and time, especially those that control gravity.
- Big Red Devil
- Gravity Master
- HP to 1: His Dark Messenger attack can inflict this.
- Interface Screw: Can make the area go dark, which in addition to making Diabolos harder to find prevents the Explorer from locking onto it.
- Me's a Crowd: Possesses the ability to clone itself.
Shiva is the classic ice-based eidolon. Those close by risk being frozen by her aura.
- An Ice Person
- Cute Monster Girl: The eidolon who most resembles a human.
- Dual Boss: Her aberrant mission. Unique because it's the first time you fight two of the same eidolon at once.
- Harmless Freezing: Many of her attacks freeze Explorers without dealing any additional damage.
- Kamehame Hadouken: Her Diamond Dust ability.
Ifrit, the fire-based eidolon, powers into his opponents, unleashing his ultimate attack "Hellfire" on his enemies.
- Elemental Punch: Has one for close range and a dashing punch for mid-range.
- Hellfire: It's the name of his signature move.
- Kill It with Fire
- Rolling Attack
Odin rides into battle on his trusty steed Sleipnir, and cleaves enemies in half with his lethal "Zantetsuken" ability.
- BFS: His Zantetsuken.
- Blade on a Stick: His spear Gungnir.
- Cool Horse: Sleipnir, his six legged steed.
- Norse Mythology
- One-Hit Kill: His Zantetsuken and Shin-Zantetsuken attacks are instantly fatal.
Leviathan, the ruler of the sea, is fought in the ocean, emerging from the waves in ambush.
An entity shrouded in mystery, seven magical swords float ready for battle on its back.
- Barrier Maiden: Defeating her looses the crystal's power, allowing explorers to trigger "cataclysms" via Crystal Surges.
- Canon Foreigner: Has not appeared in a previous Final Fantasy game.
- Disc Onefinal Boss
- Deity of Human Origin: Claims to be the "guardian of humanity".
- Public Domain Artifact: Wields the Japanese Imperial Regalia.
- Graceful Loser: After beating her, Amateratsu says that she trusts whatever decision you make, with regards to the crystal.
- Japanese Mythology: Named after the Japanese deity Amaterasu.
- It Can Think: The first Eilodon in the game that talks to the player.
- God in Human Form: Spends the early game masquerading as a human.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: Her fight is much more complex than any of the preceding battles.
- Walking Spoiler
This bestial eidolon uses vicious melee attacks, running down its prey with charges from all directions.
Alexander resembles a giant fortress, using its massive body to create earth shaking tremors.
- Big Fancy Castle: A mecha shaped like one.
- Foreshadowing: If you're paying attention, you may notice that the person who assigns you the quest to fight Alexander claims that it was built to protect a tree, while the description claims it protects all of the environment. The second description is correct, as using the crystals will eventually kill the planet.
- Living Structure Monster
Ramuh, the thunder and lightning based eidolon, uses a variety of attack patterns to confound players.
A being begotten by the planet to defend the flow of crystal energy and purge all who violate it.
A veteran of many fights in many worlds who utilizes a grand array of weapons. Also runs away a lot.
- Dirty Coward: If he's on the verge of defeat, he'll try to run away.
- Leitmotif: Battle on the Big Bridge
- Multi-Melee Master: Uses swords, axes, and spears
A doomsday weapon from a distant world that destroyed the ancient civilization that made it.