X Middle School Safety Patrol
A former delinquent, Fillmore reformed after being caught by his future partner, Wayne Liggett, who recruited him by giving him a choice between detention and helping him out with a case. Choosing to help him out, he joined the force after the case was solved, and remains a member of the Safety Patrol. He's quite thorough in his cases, and his belief that "the end justifies the means" resulted in him breaking school property on more than one occasion.
- The Ace: Fillmore's list of feats is simply astonishing. He is proficient in the operation of every vehicle that doesn't require a drivers' license (including several that aren't remotely intended to be vehicles), has infiltration skills that would put most ninjas to shame ("A Forgotten Yesterday"), has been buried beneath a pile of chairs and blasted them all off simultaneously through brute force like he was Neo fighting off the Smiths (The Unseen Reflection), has outsmarted countless criminals, is an extremely skilled acrobat and athlete, and can write flawlessly, backwards, at full speed, with his left hand ("To Mar a Stall").
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: His permanent record and past offenses are seen in the intro. They include: chalk boosting, locker rigging, a comic book poker ring, class cutting, milk counterfeiting (non dairy creamer) and... backtalkery.
- The Atoner: A former and reformed delinquent, he serves as a Safety Patrol Officer, having been recruited after his former safety patrol partner gave him the choice to help out in a case instead of receiving detention.
- Awesome Mccoolname: In Latin the meaning of the name "Cornelius" is from a Roman clan name which is derived from the Latin 'cornu' meaning horn. His last name comes from a Norman personal name, "Filimor", composed of the Germanic elements filu very + mari, meri famous.
- Bald of Awesome: Awesome bald head.
- Big Brother Instinct: It's a terrible idea to threaten or even mistreat Ingrid; Fillmore will make you regret it.
- Big Eater: Fillmore has an uncanny appetite. He is the reigning Sloppy Joe Champion in X Middle School, beating out a challenger named Joyce.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Bushy, black eyebrows.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: To a lesser degree. He's the Cowboy Cop protagonist, whose skill at catching the villains is probably the only reason he isn't going to be paying off destruction of school property for the next million years from the carnage-strewn chase scenes that happen usually two, maybe three times an episode.
- Catchphrase: "Disco!" and "Dawg".
- Clear My Name: During "This Savior, A Snitch".
- Cowboy Cop: Tends to break school property.
- Delinquents: Originally, Fillmore was a school thug, his personal record was filled with crimes and detention slips attained from his various pranks and actions. It wasn't until Safety Patrol Officer Wayne Liggett arrested him for a crime and gave him a choice of whether to help him solve other cases or spend the rest of Middle School in detention. Fillmore chose to join the safety patrol and from then he was a reformed person who played by the rules and stopped those who sought to break them.
- Determinator: He's quite determined to bring the culprit to justice, and few things slow him down.
- Experienced Protagonist: By the time of the series premiere, Fillmore has become an experienced Safety Patroller.
- For the Evulz: Despite having Good Parents and a pretty stable home life, Fillmore took to crime out of a mixture of bad student influences and because he enjoyed getting the better of others and making them miserable.
- Good Feels Good: Why he reformed.
- Hidden Depths: Fillmore is a formidable golf player as he won the schools open at one point however he chose to keep this ability quiet after an incident revolving around his delinquency.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Fillmore has also shown to be rash and jump to quick conclusions on who the culprit could be. Although a tough officer, Fillmore has also shown to be a kind and caring person, willing to risk himself for the sake of his comrades.
- Nice Hat: In his delinquent days.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Ingrid. They have a deep bond with each other and there are no hints of romantic attraction.
- Protagonist Title: His last name is the title for the series.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Fillmore is a Badbutt boy who is always solving crimes with his best friend Ingrid. The mug he is often seen drinking hot chocolate from is purple with a pink bunny on it.
- Reformed Criminal: The middle school version, being a former delinquent. He first started as a Boxed Crook when Officer Wayne Liggett got him to help out with a case in order to avoid detention, and joined up later on.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Fillmore wears a cool pair and is quite street smart.
- Specs of Awesome: White glasses have never look so awesome.
- Taking the Bullet: A non-lethal version: Even though custard gives him hives, he still took a hit for Augie because he gave his word he'd keep him safe.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Of the Atoner variety. After joining the safety patrol and giving up his delinquent past, Fillmore became more nicer.
- Troll: He can be this sometimes.
Fillmore "Oh, I'm sorry, did -I- do that?"
- After Parnassus managed to get away with attempting to frame Ingrid by getting Budd to be his scapegoat, Fillmore gave him a piece of gum. What he forgot to mention was that it was a piece of hot pepper gum he bought in a joke shop. And as icing on the top of the cake, he slowly drank from a glass of water in front of Parnassus as he began to panic and look for a water source.
- As he was exiting the office of a Canadian diplomat whom he couldn't bust due to him exercising Diplomatic Impunity, he deliberately broke a vase and pretended it was an accident.
Fillmore's partner, she was a New Transfer Student at X Middle School who had a bit of a delinquent past herself, as at her old school she was involved in an incident involving a stink bomb and a piñata. Framed for a crime she didn't commit, Fillmore helped her out and recruited her to the force. Claimed to be the smartest kid in the school, she has a photographic memory which is a great help in her work as a Safety Patroller.
- Action Girl: It is noted before she arrived at X that she did Little League for two years. Ingrid is also shown to have gymnastic abilities but it is unknown exactly how skilled she is.
- All of the Other Reindeer: She is a very intelligent person which unfortunately made her a target for teasing and bullying; this inadvertently turned her into a delinquent.
- Awesome Mccoolname: Her first name comes from the Old Norse name Ingríðr meaning "Ing is beautiful", derived from the name of the Germanic god ING combined with fríðr "beautiful".
- Badass Biker: She was given a scooter by the Safety Patrol for her birthday which is great for chasing criminals.
- Badass Bookworm: Her photographic memory helps her excel in her academics.
- Becoming the Mask: Came very close to staying with the Red Robins, in part due to her similarities to the current leader, Malika.
- Brainy Brunette: Ingrid has black hair and is claimed to be the smartest student in her school.
- Catchphrase: "Crackers!"
- Clear My Name: In the very first episode.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Ingrid's main attire is all black and she's a Safety Patroller.
- Deadpan Snarker: A dry sense of humor.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Ingrid probably has the palest skin in the series (sans her older sister).
- Gamer Chick: Heavily implied. She also owns a robot which is wifi enabled, allowing her to follows potential suspects when they cannot be caught.
- Genius Bruiser: Besides her brains, her impressive physical ability helps her take down criminals.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She has a kind heart for those she doesn't believe are guilty and at times tries to look the other way. She has also shown a mean side when she and Fillmore fall out over opinions and you never want to push her buttons.
- Little Miss Badass: A middle school girl who can pull off stunts most adults can't do.
- The Mole: To the Red Robins in "Red Robins Don't Fly".
- The Not-Love Interest: To Fillmore. She is his partner in Safety Patrol and his best friend, but they don't have any romantic interest in each other.
- Not So Different: To Malika. Like her, she's quirky, has weird hobbies, likes weird music and is substantially smarter than others, and they both were members of the Safety Patrol sent to infiltrate the Red Robins. Unlike Malika, she remained loyal to her friends in the Safety Patrol.
- Photographic Memory: Ingrid can memorize things just by looking at them.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Fillmore. They have a deep bond with each other and there are no hints of romantic attraction.
- Reformed Criminal: Like Fillmore, she had a past of delinquency with quite the record prior to transferring to X Middle School, including spending a year at a reform school in Nepal for a number of incidents, one of which included a stink bomb and a pinata.
- The Quiet One: Ingrid is the quiet type and speaks only when necessary.
- The Smart Girl: She is claimed to be the smartest kid in school.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She is quiet and can come off as aloof, but she shows a caring side to her partner Fillmore and she also has a kind heart for those she doesn't believe are guilty.
- When She Smiles: Does show some warm smiles here and there. Fillmore even lampshades this in the episode "Ingrid Third, Public Enemy #1"Fillmore: "What's this? Joan of Arc just cracked a smile!"
The current Junior Commissioner of the Safety Patrol.
- Badass Boast:"We may not be able to officially bust you, but if you cause any more trouble in this school, the entire Safety Patrol is going to turn your life into a nightmare from which you will never wake. Am I making myself clear?"
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Like Fillmore, Vallejo has big, black eyebrows.
- Catchphrase: FIIILLLMOOOOOORE!!!!!
- Da Chief: Vallejo was with the Safety Patrol for several years before becoming the Junior Commissioner.
- A Father to His Men: Cares deeply about those under his authority and the surest way to get him after you is to threaten them or their reputations.
- My Greatest Failure: More than one. Sees both losing Malika to the Red Robins and not standing up for Frank Bishop when angry parents pushed for his dismissal as these. He's able to make up for the latter.
- Only One Name: His first name is never clearly revealed in the show. Folsom says it during the hearing for his second term as Junior Commissioner, and even then it's obscured by microphone feedback.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Even though Vallejo may seem tough on the outside, he does care for his officers. He was afraid that Ingrid would join the Red Robins, like Malika did years ago. He also shows concern for Fillmore when he tends to get too rash as he does not want his best officer to get in trouble.
- Say My Name: See Catchphrase above.
- Vocal Dissonance: His voice is awfully grainy and deep for his looks and age.
A member of the X Middle School Safety Patrol, his main duty is that of crime scene photographer.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He is a Cloudcuckoolander of the first order, at one point delivering a curiously philosophical ramble on the Zen nature of being unable to see your own butt, but he's pretty damn good at crime scene photography.
- Butt-Monkey: Among other things, Vallejo said that he wasn't trained to use a stapler, and he was once temporarily replaced by a tripod.
- Camera Fiend: O'Farrell is a Safety Patroller whose main duty is crime scene photographer.
- Cloudcuckoolander: O'Farrell is more the comic relief of the show due to his comical actions and comments, he tends to show lack of intelligence towards most situations; however, he does have an big imagination and is able to produce certain knowledge about various topics such as DIY photography.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Representing his upbeat and energetic personality.
- Nice Guy: O'Farrell is one of the nicest characters in the series.
- Officer Ohara: O'Farrell is a kilt-wearing ginger security member. Now, make an educated guess.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Red hair and green eyes, along with being the key player that solves the case.
- Youthful Freckles: Showcasing his exuberant nature.
A member of the X Middle School Safety Patrol, she's the patrol's forensics expert.
- Asian and Nerdy: She is Japanese-American and is the forensics specialist of the Patrol.
- Brainy Brunette: Besides forensics, Tehama has also shown skill in profiling.
- Girlish Pigtails: Tehama's main hairstyle. And each pigtail is in a pink ribbon.
- The Profiler: She provides the patrol with information surrounding the evidence. It should be noted that she isn't considered this in-universe (or at least nowhere near as good of one as Frank Bishop), as the reason they bring Frank Bishop, explicitly referred to as a profiler, back from his disgraceful retirement is that they need one to help them catch "The Shredder".
- The Smart Girl: She's X Middle School's Safety Patrol forensics expert.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Tehama has a craving for chocolate. This is shown when Ingrid Third bribes her with chocolate in exchange for teaching her how to dust for fingerprints on an old "Carbee Cola" canister.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Like Joseph, her hair is colored blue.
A member of the X Middle School Safety Patrol, often dealing with data gathering, ground patrolling and bodyguarding.
- The Big Guy: It's been mentioned that he has bodyguard training, and he once easily strong-armed a protester into the Safety Patrol office.
- Curtains Match the Windows: The show gives his hair a bluish color and he has blue eyes.
- Living Prop: Has the least characterization of the named Safety Patrollers, never having more than one line in any episode.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Like Karen, his hair is colored blue.
- Ditzy Genius: Peter is a somewhat clumsy field patroller, but is both a proficient pitch pipe player and was the one who put together the clues leading him to learning his brother was behind the disappearance of the Lobstee claws, and explains his deductions when confronting his brother in a very logical way.
- Engineered Heroics: Without his knowledge, his brother Robert arranged for Oscar Mabini to confess to the destruction of the Lobstee claws directly to Peter in order to make him look like the star safety patroller the rest of his brothers were.
- Heroic Lineage: Played With: While initially clumsy and even appears to be near-inept as a Safety Patroller, he was kept on the force because of his Heroic Lineage as a Chestnut. Furthermore, while he defies the family tradition of serving on the Safety Patrol by resigning to join the barber quarter and follow his dream, he showed decent prowess as a detective by figuring out his brother had stolen the Lobstee claws and manipulated the outcome of the initial investigation.
X Middle School's Principal.
- Anonymous Benefactor: She paid for Doc Hemlock's dog to get prosthetic.
- Friend to Bugs: Folsom owned a pet spider when she was younger.
- It's All About Me: To a degree, a lot of her wanting the school to look good is so she'll look good by association.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As the principal, she can be strict but fair and usually places the school above all other things except herself.
- Large Ham: She is constantly threatening to take the Safety Patrol Headquarters and transform it into a Faculty Yoga Studio or a storage facility if they cannot solve the case before a deadline she sets.
- Mama Bear: The villain of one episode tricked the Safety Patrol into traumatizing Folsom's young nephew so she would get enraged enough to terminate their investigation.
- Mean Boss: Zigzagged. Technically she counts as the boss of the Safety Patrol given she's the principal. Her interactions with them tend to either be her sweetly complimenting them or threatening some outlandish punishment as an incentive to not fail at whatever case they're working on. The latter happens a lot more than the former. Although at the end of the day she comes out as a Stern Teacher if nothing else.
- Mysterious Middle Initial: The "S" part of her name was never revealed.
- No Indoor Voice: Constantly raises her voice.
- Small Name, Big Ego: "The Shreds Fell Like Snowflakes" featured the school's drama club doing a musical about her life story.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Several episodes such as "The Nineteenth Hole is a Shallow Grave".
X Middle School's Vice Principal, he helps Principal Folsom with running the school.
X Middle School Students
Jamie Townsend is a student at X Middle School. He once tried selling candy, but it resulted in him being bullied by the Red Robins for being on their territory. He later decided to start a catering company for the students too busy making a difference in X to get food and for those who matter. In addition to his catering company, he's also the person behind the lunch bag extortion ring in X, planning to turn a profit by stealing the lunches from the people he deemed "didn't matter" and sell them to those he believed did.
- Batman Gambit: He knew that Fillmore would eat all of his macaroni, allowing him to set him up for a frame-up.
- Dirty Coward: Refused to testify for Fillmore out of fear of Scooter McAllister. He's actually the Man Behind the Man to McAllister.
- Walking Spoiler: He's the person behind the lunch bag extortion ring and the plan that nearly got Fillmore expelled from school in "This Savior, A Snitch", making it hard to feel bad for him when he was a victim of the Red Robins in an earlier episode and puts doubt on the legitimacy and truthfulness of his previous actions.
- Voiced by: Frankie Muniz ("Test of the Tested"); Kiel Holmes ("This Savior, A Snitch")
Augie Samsome is a con artist, often caught in small scale crimes such as scamming.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Augie has thick, brown eyebrows.
- Con Man: What he dealt with, although he preferred "crafty grafter".
- He Knows Too Much: Witnessed Fillmore try to stop Folson's macaroni statue from breaking. Jaime's extortion ring wanted to silence him.
- Nice Hat: A big, blue hat that he wears backwards.
- Witness Protection: Forced to rely on protection from Ingrid and Fillmore when he's the only witness to Fillmore's framing and the lunch box gang wanted to stop him from testifying.
- Voiced by: Theo Greenly
Frank Bishop is Vallejo's former partner when he was an officer and a former Safety Patroller himself. A highly skilled profiler, he was forced to leave the force in disgrace when he stopped a perpetrator with a vat of gazpacho, which the boy was allergic to. The boy's parents threatened a lawsuit against the school unless Bishop was dismissed.
- The Alcoholic: While he doesn't actually drink alcohol due to both his age and the show's target audience, his behavior and the way he goes through bottles of juice calls this trope to mind.
- Awesome by Analysis: According to Vallejo, during his time as a profiler, he could identify what a perp ate for breakfast by looking at his shoeprints. He was also the first to figure out the identity of the serial shredder through minor details.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Bishop has thick, black eyebrows.
- Broken Ace: He's a genius profiler, but since his dismissal from the squad, he rarely leaves his room and doesn't seem to care about anything anymore. At least until he had a chance to come back.
- Everyone Has Standards: He's understandably bitter and angry at the Safety Patrol, and Vallejo in particular, for his dismissal but when he discovers that his sister has set up Vallejo and plans on locking him in her homemade ice palace and leaving him there until his re-dedication ceremony is over, which besides being highly immoral, could have potentially killed Vallejo, he's horrified and does everything he can to prevent it.
- Nice Guy: According to Vallejo, he wouldn't hurt a fly.
- The Profiler: What he used to do. Even years after he was dismissed, Vallejo still claimed him to be the best profiler the Safety Patrol ever had.
- The Scapegoat: What led to his Safety Patrol career ending.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After getting kicked off the Safety Patrol.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Vallejo, who he's bitter towards about the lack of support Vallejo showed when parents called for Frank's dismissal.
- Voiced by: Spencer Klein
The third of the four Chestnut brothers to serve in the Safety Patrol, Robert served as a highly decorated officer before banking on his reputation to become the Student Council President.
- Heroic Lineage: As far as it goes for a middle school safety patroller. His brother Chuck and Chippy Chestnut, the "Wonder Twins", are the only other safety patrollers more decorated and respected than he is. Unfortunately, his desire to preserve the Chestnut name is what drove him to prevent any shame from happening to him or Peter, hence getting rid of the mislabeled Lobstee claws in secret and ordering a new shipment as well as convincing Oscar Mabini to confess to Peter in order to make him look like the hero.
- The Illegible: He used to be called "Officer Chickenscratch" due to his poor handwriting, and the autograph he gave O'Farrell actually read "Romblo Chmangey". This trait actually sets off the entire plot, as the Lobstee claws he ordered read "We'ne #7" instead of "We're #1", prompting him to dispose of the shipment in secret to not shame the Chestnut name.
- Living Legend: His mere presence in the Safety Patrol headquarters causes everyone to stop doing what they're doing and look at him. If anything, this makes his fall all more tragic to those who come to apprehend him.
- The Perfectionist: He couldn't stand the idea that he couldn't be perfect like his older brothers Chuck and Chippy due to his handwriting. Unwilling to allow himself or Peter to tarnish the Chestnut name, he disposed of the original mislabeled Lobstee claws and arranged for Peter to look like the star patroller he and their brothers were.
MacLuhan Middle School Safety Patrol
- Voiced by: Lukas Behnken
Wayne is Fillmore's former partner who brought him out of a life of delinquency. He moved to Tennessee and joined the Safety Patrol at MacLuhan Middle School.
- 10-Minute Retirement: He gave up for a time after getting kicked off the force by the Patrol Sheriff. When he hears Fillmore needs help, he goes back in to save him.
- A Friend in Need: What breaks through his 10-Minute Retirement: Fillmore in need of help.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Wayne has thick, brown eyebrows.
- By-the-Book Cop: During his time as Fillmore's partner, he was said to be this to Fillmore's Cowboy Cop.
- Da Chief: Promoted to Patrol Sheriff after proving Thrift's corruption.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Fillmore, who became his partner on the Safety Patrol to avoid detention.
- I Did What I Had to Do: His reason for looking the other way during the Patrol Sheriff's corruption.
- The Mentor: He was this to Fillmore.
- My Greatest Failure: Getting his partner Emily kicked out of the Tennessee Safety Patrol and making her transfer out of the school.
- Walking Spoiler: Due to the fact that by the time Fillmore visits him, Wayne's school safety patrol is corrupt and his partner transferred out.
- Voiced by: Lauren Tom
Emily is Wayne's new partner in the MacLuhan Safety Patrol after he moved to Tennessee.
- Walking Spoiler: Due to having dropped out from the Safety Patrol and changed schools after an incident she was helping Wayne with.
- Voiced by: Peter Newman
The Patrol Sheriff at MacLuhan Middle School by the time Fillmore visits Wayne in Tennessee.
- Corrupt Hick: A Dirty Cop who takes advantage of various "regulations" to do and get what he wants, such as taking a video game from another student for his own personal use. Taken further when revealed he stole the pralines himself to sell them, and uses another "regulation" to get rid of Wayne when he starts snooping in too much.
- Nice Hat: Wears a black cowboy hat.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: His father, Colonel J. T. Thrift, Sr., is the principal of the school, and while he does not approve of what his son has done when he learns about it, as long as there wasn't any solid proof of the Patrol Sheriff's crookedness, the principal wouldn't tolerate accusations against him, allowing him to get off scot free with whatever misdeeds he committed.
- Voiced by: Luke Eberl
A member of the MacLuhan Safety Patrol.
- Token Good Teammate: In an organization at the mercy of corruption, Jeeter is the only native Tennessean Safety Patroller who helps Fillmore and Wayne out.