Characters for Feathers and Mountain Air.
Tropes that apply to all four:
- Four-Philosophy Ensemble:
- Ancell as the Cynic
- Cecily as the Optimist
- Deimos as the Realist
- Epsy as the Apathetic/Conflicted
Ancell ChrysosThe pretty male prostitute at a brothel called Heavenly Bodies. Despite not being human, he prefers the simple lifestyle as compared to the glamour that other Emphyraes have to keep up, and thus moved to the small human-inhabited town of Anjelinn as opposed to staying on his nearby home mountain. His peaceful life has lately been interrupted by a human child and a certain sevgimoren trying to pair him up.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Plenty of these moments with Cecily.
- Battle Couple: With Cecily.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Once again, Cecily.
- Big Brother Instinct: A slight one towards his sister Chu'Si.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Apollyon's Red Oni.
- Carnivore Confusion: Epsylon calls him out on not "maiming and eating him and Deimy". Ancell just shrugs and says that blackwings don't taste particularly good in his opinion and he's better off hunting something else.
- Child Hater: Eva turns out to be an exception.
- Cuteness Proximity: He has had his pet Velox for 3 years, and what does he do every time he sees his beloved wittle lizard-creature? Guess.
- Heroic Bastard: A rare Emphyrae subversion; His parents are happily together and connected by the best equivalent of marriage the Emphyraes have, when not marrying is the norm. Apo sometimes makes fun of him for this.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Apollyon.
- High Class Call Guy
- I'm a Humanitarian: Humans are his favourite food.
- In Series Nick Name: Angel, mostly used by humans, and Manslut plus plenty of others used by Apollyon. Cecily also has the tendency to call him Whore.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Eva.
- Love Is a Weakness: The first reason he despises the very thought of it. The second being Love Hurts and related things he doesnt want to talk about.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Hates Nervenn just for dating Chu.
- The Nicknamer: Deimy is simply Blackwing, Cecily is Halfblood at first, Epsy is Blondie, Nia is Pinkhead and Gil would be Shorty if she didnt threaten to shoot him if he called her that. He also nicknames one of the sevgimoren soldiers Butterfly because of his Sevardenian wings and crazy hair, and that nickname sticks with the rest of the group too.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: He frees Cecily with Deimos even though he knows he will get in trouble for it.
- Sibling Yin-Yang The calm and collected one to Chu'Si's cheerful personality.
- Smoking Is Cool: Except when he has trouble running long distances and surviving in the wilderness without cigarettes.
- Sour Supporter: Grows out of it.
- Starcrossed Lovers: With Cecily. Yes, they are destined. No, it doesnt make it any more acceptable in the eyes of the emphyraes.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Thinks like this of his travel buddies at first.
- Tsundere: For Cecily.
- The Un-Favourite: Compared to Chu'si.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Apollyon.
- What Does She See in Him?: His reaction to Chu and Nevi dating.
- What Measure Is a Non-Emphyrae?: Begins to contemplate this.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Really wanted his father's respect when he was younger, but never really got any praise or attention.
Deimos RoyenburgThe son of a Guidance diplomat mother and a medical chief father who ended up as a borderline-Shell-Shocked Veteran after serving as a war medic, Deimos has always been quite a loner while his parents were too busy to give him enough attention. He is clumsy and shy, yet well-meaning and always polite. His loneliness only took a turn for the worse when other Sevgimoren kids started labelling him as a pathetic loser at school, and things on the social field aren't much better now that he's long since graduated... But at least he is not bullied anymore. At least not as much.
- Actual Pacifist: He doesn't want to hurt another living being, even when his own life is at stake. He even has the chance to grab a weapon to defend himself from possible death, but refuses and has to be saved by his friends instead.
- Badass Pacifist: Has his moments.
- Boys Love Stuffed Animals: Oh his homemade plush toy Spesa and the tragic story behind its destruction.
- Break the Cutie: Survived years of school bullying, but it lead to his trust problems and a fear of getting touched,not to mention destroyed his self confidence.
- Crash-Into Hello: The first time we see him bump into Epsy... Or more like his feet. Although it is not a very cute scene.
- Did You Think I Can't Feel?: Says this to Epsy.
- Driven to Suicide: Twice during his school time, both obviously failed; First time he tried to overdose on his medicine and only managed to get really sick, the second he tried to escape from Mt.Lyskeres to get killed by Emphyraes.
- Ex-Bully And Wimp Pairing: With Epsy.
- Flower Motifs: His favourite flower is the kwipion, which is also a common symbol of love.
- Friendless Background: Well, not completely, as he did have one or two friends, but he was afraid to let anyone too close to him in fear that they would get bullied too.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Used to be like this toward Epsy, when he had lots of friends at school.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: His reaction to Epsy returning his feelings. Yeah, like the guy didn't make them really clear before.
- Team Mom: Male example.
- Lonely Together: The reason he and Windir became friends was that they both lacked friends. They did end up being genuine friends later, even though they didn't really keep in touch after Windir moved to the far away land of Sazadia.
- Manipulative Bastard: A good guy version! He uses his nice personality and opportunistic timing in his favour in manipulating peoples mind.
- The Matchmaker: Like most Sevgimori, but notably to Ancell and Cecily.
- No Social Skills: Subverted, as he is polite and well-mannered when he speaks. It's just that he's so afraid of screwing up and people thinking that he's some sort of a weirdo, so he doesn't gladly talk to anyone.
- Oblivious to Love: Because he is already three years over pairing age and has already had his heart broken once, he has now shut his heart to the thought that anyone could be into him that way.
- Red String of Fate: He uses them to pair people up, as opposed to the usual bow and arrow technique sevgimori are fond of. The reason he rejects it has to do with his pacifism.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Almost, as he is a demisexual(Only feels sexual and romantic feelings for people he knows well enough, and not even all of them). He has had a total of one such person before he falls for Epsy.
- The Smart Guy: His booksmartness saves the group more than once. However, he has trouble on the social field, can't understand sarcasm at all and his streetsmarts are also questionable.
- The So-Called Coward: He proves out to be a huge help to the team, even though he doesn't fight... Let's just say he's good with his words once he gathers the courage to speak.
- Speech Impediment: S-stutters quite a bit, especially when with people he doesn't know or otherwise insecure, which is a lot. He can almost rid it if he concentrates but it's still there.
- Token Good Team Mate: Ancell is the one with jerkass loner qualities, Ceci is a bit too enthusiastic to beat things up, and Epsy still shows some jerk tendencies once in a while. Yeah, he's definitely the nicest out of them.
Cecily MarrainAn unfortunate result of a forbidden romance between an Emphyrae and a Sevgimoren. She was supposed to get killed as soon as the Emphyrae soldiers found her at the age of 15, but something delayed the execution and she is still chained to the back gate of Mt. Sanfare. Although she has had her fair share of suffering, she stays positive and dreams that one day she can be free again.
- Action Girl: When choosing weapons, she is the one to enthusiastically grab the big, cool sword in a heartbeat... Even though she's too weak to carry it well.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: More often the one to first act all sweet towards Ancell than the other way around.
- Battle Couple: With Ancell.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Ancell.
- Book Dumb: She was never schooled. She can read, but all she has ever read is childrens books in a different language with different letters...
- Buffy Speak: Due to inexperience.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Ancy surely does.
- Hey, You! -> First-Name Basis: Ancy refuses to call her anything else than "Halfblood" at first. Granted, she does the same to him, calling him "Whore".
- It's Personal: spoiler:Really enjoys kicking some Emphyrae butt, because they are the species that killed her parents and chained her to a gate.
- Mixed Ancestry: Sevgirae.
Epsylon IambAn artistic sevgimoren who used to be a big bully in his youth and was one of the kids responsible of making Deimy's life miserable. He has since matured and is nowadays quite a decent person overall, if not still unable to show his real feelings well and too influenced by his still immature and mean friends like Tialdre.
- Acrophobic Bird: Avoids flying because it takes concentration off of keeping his hair blonde and because he is slightly acrophobic, but mostly the former reason.
- Apologizes a Lot: Apparently saying his apologizes to Deimy once properly is just not enough, so he keeps spouting small ones. Deimy doesn't listen until muuuch later in the story.
- Big Man on Campus: Only thanks to Tialdre.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Was one to all the adults at school.
- The Bully: As mentioned, used to be one.
- Along with Tialdre, used to be the leader of a Gang of Bullies known as BS.
- Ex-Bully And Wimp Pairing: With Deimy.
- Heel Realization: Had one shortly after Deimys speech that he gave on his final school day.
- Ho Yay: With Deimos. And it's canon later on.
- Before switching into a set of small knives after Tialdre demands his bow back.
- Must Make Amends: He tries to fix the problems he has caused Deimy in their youth and wants to be his friend.
- Narcissist: Not a huge one, but definitely has these vibes.
- Queer Romance: Obviously.
- Single Man Seeks Good Man
- Theme Naming: He and his three brothers, all related to numbers somehow; Epsylon comes from Eps(last) and Yon(4) (Lymne), Darnor's artist name Roma means 9, which is the symbol of luck and wealth in Lymne, and the two older brothers also have to do with numbers although it's not intentional on their parents' part: Seventhias and Trianos.
- Weakness Turns Him On: Or at least in Deimy's case.
Apollyon GalesolA bartender at The Lair, a bar for Emphyraes, in Anjelinn. Ancell's best friend, who is good with the ladies. He is a big racist towards anything not Emphyrae, to the point of harassing the poor Sevgimori in his free time, before killing them using unnecessary violence.
- Arch-Enemy: To Gil.
- Animals Hate Him: Ancell's pet driezelik, Velox, bit him the first time he tried to pet him. He usually doesn't bite anyone.
- Berserk Button: Break his glowstick and see what happens. I dare you.
- Big Brother Worship: His brother Zenobios was pretty much his childhood hero.
- The Big Guy: Even though he is quite lean, being an Emphyrae and all, he is 190cm tall.
- The Confidant: To Ancy.
- Cool Shades: Yeah they're eyeglasses, but they have a cool green tint! Or at least the one lense that is showing.
- Disappeared Dad: Both his and Zenobios's fathers were random guys with no real connection to their mother. Neither probably even know that they have children.
- FaceHeel Turn: As soon as he learns that Ancell is siding with Sevgimori and a halfbreed.
- Fantastic Racism: Especially towards Sevgimori. In his way of thinking, these "blackwings" are only annoyance if alive, but great as food.
- Good Hair, Evil Hair: Slicks his hair back. Obviously evil.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Also with Ancell.
- Ladykiller in Love: With Sinthesia.
- Large Ham: "I don't care if there's a group of blackwings wanting to shoot me dead, I CAN SNAP THEIR STUPID BOWS WITH TWO FINGERS!"
- Meaningful Name: "Apolev" is Lymne for "worth", while "llyon" is "a million". His mother sure hoped he would live up to his nime.
- Not So Different: A hotblooded winged thing who lost their big brother... Wait, is this Gil or Apollyon?
- Obsessive-Compulsive Barkeeping: Most often a cover up for checking out pretty girls in the bar.
- Pick on Someone Your Own Size: Gilana tries to get this through his thick skull with no success.
- Red Oni to Ancell's Blue Oni.
- Selective Slaughter: Makes it clear that he will not, under any circumstance, kill another Emphyrae, and will also avert hurting one of his own kind.
- Sickly Green Glow: He wears a glowstick on his neck at all times, and they're usually of the green variety as it is his favourite colour.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: He used to be the quiet, nerdy one, while Zenobios was the loud rebel. Nowadays he has taken a little after his brother.
- Super-Persistent Predator: Will settle to human meat or even buy his food from a store if necessary, but will always go for Sevgimori if it's not completely impossible.
- Tough Love: His mother only ever cared if he got good grades.
- Still got Parental Favoritism compared to Zeno, who didn't care for school or his mother's rules altogether.
- Unholy Matrimony: With Cadenza.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ancell.
Lord SceledesA six-winged Emphyrae who is, because of his unusual amount of wings and unbelievably long lifespan, thought of as a physical god and worshipped all over the Emphyraen community. He believes in Emphyraen purity over anything else and makes even the biggest racists such as Apollyon look innocent in comparison.
- Asexuality: He had his 7+ children just because he needed sons to take care of his countries (Graciene and Holymni) when he's dead. [[Immortality If he dies, that is.]]
- Elderly Immortal: His immortality makes his soul immortal, and was supposed to make his body immortal too until its cause, the evil little magic stone, started giving him unexpected symptoms such as actually letting his body age and gruesomely scarring his whole back digging itself out.
- God Guise King
- God Is Evil: Oh, some Emphyraes want to "purify" Graciene of Sevgimori? Of course, that sounds like a wonderful idea! And what's this? A halfblood has been freed by one of us? Yeah, let's send some soldiers after them. They deserve death for such behaviour.
- Immortality: All the media makes him look much younger and he also wears makeup and sun masks for that purpose when appearing to his people, to make them think that he's a Type I. He's really Type VII.
- Which brings us to Immortality Immorality type 1. It is a special stone carved deep into his back by his will that gives him the immortality, but with what a price...
- Light Is Not Good: NO, IT'S NOT.
- Really Over 200 Years Old: Was there around the last war that ended almost 60 years ago, at which time he already looked seemingly old.
- The Stoic: Can't show emotions at all. Which of course leads to lots of That Makes Me Feel Angry.
Cadenza RaelThe leader and conductor of the Emphyraen war choir, and thus one of the highest ranked females in their patriarchal society. She is pretty sadistic and uncaring for others feelings, and her god's will always comes first in her book, but hides this behind a nicer cover when facing the people and even her enemies, at first.
- Anything That Moves: At least it seems like it...
- Blood Lust: Is even ok with emphyrae blood.
- Chew Bacca Defense: Uses these, along with being a Combat Pragmatist.
- Dominatrix: And boy, does she have her ways to tie the poor men around her fingers.
- Eye Scream: Pierces the eye of an emphyrae bystander for talking over her and belittling her.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: Lampshades her icy theme a lot.
- In the Blood: Her grandfather was the war choir conductor during the War of Feathers.
- Lady of War: At first; When she gets more in the battle, say goodbye to her gracefulness.
- Licking the Blade: Has the tendency to do this a lot.
- Never a Self-Made Woman: Although she does get quite angry if someone dares to imply that her grandfather was the only reason that she got chosen as the war conductor, which is not true in the slightest as Sceledes is also very fond of her cunning ability and strength and enthusiasm in battle. Makes sense, though, because many of the Emphyraes firmly believe that women should Stay in the Kitchen.
- Right-Hand Hottie: To Sceledes.
- Tomboy: Used to be one, and even hunted her own meals while it is usually mens job, just to go against the idea that girls aren't supposed to do that. Is still among the only females in the Emphyraen army who fight (The war choir has lots of women but they basically just sing), but has figured out an another way to stay succesful amongst all the men.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sceledes.
- Unholy Matrimony: With Apollyon once he's over Sinthesia.
Lothario Krenar and KriegaroThe wardrummer and his pet, a big female urcanis. Lothario is very aloof and does not desire any sort of contact with other Emphyraes or anyone else for that matter, but stays with the army because that is pretty much everything his life consists of. Kriegaro on the other hand might appear scary, but she is trained not to harm Emphyraes and is actually a nice big fluffy thing... Sevgimori and other species are adviced to keep distance, however.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: His twin Caleidos, who was extremely fascinated by Sevgimori and loved the species in an abnormal way for Emphyraes, got killed by a Sevgimoren attack group. As he was the only person Lothario has ever felt a connection to, he was broken.
- Also the reason why he has vowed to Never Hurt an Innocent.
- Baby Talk: Talks like this to Krie.
- Broken Angel: Lost one of his wings in combat.
- The Stoic: Not as much as his leader, though.
- Bears Are Bad News: She is a bear-like creature.
Meridev KoradiaThe main and most trusted so-called prisoner interrogator in the emphyrae army. A sadist who is very much into his work and sevgimori. In that way.
- Ambiguously Gay: Actually just a sevgimorenphile, but thats what the other emphyraes believe he is.
Gilana MilramA bratty young sevgimoren girl, who thrives to be a mighty emphyraehunter one day. She is short and babyfaced, something that she hates about herself so much.
- Berserk Button: Being called short or a kid.
- Celeb Crush: On Roma Iamb.
- Fangirl: Of Roma.
- Invisibility: Brought even further by her "Perfect Vanish" spray that makes her completely unnoticeable even to Emphyraes who could otherwise sense her.
- It's Personal: An Emphyrae killed her big brother Jalett. Turns out it was even Apollyon, her archenemy.
- Just a Kid: Hates receiving this so much it actually brings her to the bringe of tears.
- Not So Different: A hotblooded winged thing who lost their big brother... Wait, is this Gil or Apollyon?
- Older Than They Look: No one ever believes that she is already 30 and thus an adult Sevgimoren.
- Stalker with a Crush: Tends to act this way toward poor Roma...
- Also has a Stalker Shrine in her room.
- Stalker Without a Crush: Toward Apollyon, to find out new ways to humiliate him.
- Tomboy: Has some of the vibes.
- Where Does She Get All Those Dangerous Arrows?: Deimos wonders this when first meeting her.
Tialdre NephiaAn usually grumpy sevgimoren who, along with Epsylon, used to be a big bully, and still kind of is. Unlike his best friend, he tends to be more violent and less verbally oriented in his ways. Used to be a big rebel when he was younger, but has calmed down a little.
- Don't Tell Mama:
Lilinea: Wouldn't your mother be upset about you running around punching and kicking innocent people?
Tialdre: I don't know, maybe. But what's it to you, goody two-shoes? Even if she was still around, you wouldn't get to tell her without broken bones!
- Heteronormative Crusader: Seems like one. In reality, doesn't really care as long as Niati is and stays straight. I mean, his best friend is gay and he knows it very well. He's not blind.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: He's trained a lot, but they're quite... amazing even considering that.
- Momma's Boy: His mother had a severe medical condition which caused her to die while giving birth to his brother Niati when Tia himself was 14. This caused him to beat up and mock others to make sure he's not the only one feeling bad. Subverted by the fact that he has always been quite popular despite of being so devoted to his mother even after her death.
- Morality Pet: Niati, and his good friend Vixenne, both of which he truly, deeply cares about.
- Parental Substitute: For Niati.
Niati NephiaTialdre's treasured little brother. He is also a decent archer, mostly inspired by his big brother's skill, and uses a crossbow. He loves fashion and cute things..
- Big Little Brother: Is 14 years younger than Tialdre but taller than him, much to his annoyance.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With Gilana.
- Platonic Life-Partners: Also with Gilana.
Chu'Si Chrysos and VeloxAncell's little sister who lives on Mt. Sanfare and takes care of Velox who Ancy couldn't take with him to Anjelinn. Although she is supportive toward her brother, she can sometimes snap at him. Quite hard.
- Alliterative Name: Chu.
- Afraid of Blood: Only the golden Emphyrae blood, however.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Sometimes Ancy sees her like this.
- Cheerful Child: Was this when younger.
- Nerves of Steel: Oh my gosh, my brother is being chased down by the Emphyraen army? No panic, I just need to solve this situation by quick thinking!
- Parental Favoritism: Over Ancy. She was always her parents' "perfect little girl".
- Relationship Reveal: Tells Ancy that she's dating Nervenn while he's visiting to see Velox.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Nervenn.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: It might be the fact that Ancy is protective of her, but he sees her and Nev like this.
Nervenn CylasA guard at the back gate of Mt.Sanfare who is still quite new to his job and thus insecure, especially since it's a family job which he didn't want to take in the first place. He is a gentle soul who, despite not being allowed to, is the one keeping Cecily alive by giving her food and blankets for cold nights.
- The Quiet One: He mostly talks only when he has something important to say or when he knows the person he is talking to well enough.
Sinthesia IlyphAn Emphyrae woman working as Apollyon's waitress in The Lair. Although she always tries to keep a cheerful smile on, she's pretty cynical and very much not amused by Apo's crush on her, let alone her Fanservice-screaming work clothes he makes her wear...
- Gag Boobs: The biggest ones of all the characters.
Ancell:I wonder how she flies carrying those things...
- Girlish Pigtails: Puts her hair like that for work, otherwise lets it loose.
Zenobios GalesolApollyon's rebellious big brother, who had a huge impact on how he turned out. He ran away from home when Apo was young, and no one knows where he headed.
- Big Brother Mentor: A literal case.
- Disappeared Dad: Both his and Apollyon's fathers were random guys with no real connection to their mother. Neither probably even know that they have children.
- Mommy Issues: Doesn't really care, though.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: The rebellious counterpart to his obeyant, nerdy little brother, who learned to mimic him though.
- The Runaway: Type 2.