A sentient amphibian species, who have a large empire despite their diminutive size and clumsiness on land.
- Big Eater: Apparently due to the three stomachs.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: They can fart Helium when nervous, so who knows what's going on with their digestive system. They also don't do "body breeding" like humanoids, but still have something equivalent to sex for the purposes of pleasure.
- Deadly Decadent Court
- Fish People: Well, amphibious.
- God Guise: At one point, one of Rygel's ancestors went out of his way to ensure that Hynerians visiting a certain planet would be welcomed as gods; he did this by stranding an entire settlement of Sebaceans loyal to the Hynerian throne on a remote planet and disabling their technology.
- Little Green Men
- Our Goblins Are Different
- Zerg Rush: In desperate times, the Hynerian military have favoured these kinds of tactics.
Nearly 165 cycles prior to the events of Farscape, Bishan helped to depose Dominar Rygel XVI while he was sleeping, and ascended the throne of his home planet, Hyneria. He turned over his cousin to the Peacekeepers, who subsequently imprisoned the deposed Dominar.