These are the characters associated with the dark guild, Grimoire Heart, both original flavor and original to the fanfic. For canon characters, only add tropes as they pertain to the fanfic.
As of chapter 103, the guild has been taken over by Morrigan ley Fair and renamed Goddess Wing.
A pink haired, pigtailed girl that uses laser beams, lightning bolts and plasma bolts as magic. She also has amazing accuracy. She also has rage magic, which boosts her magic the more damage she has taken. Is in the habit of calling herself a genius. Fights Evergreen and Sindel during the Tenrou Island arc. A former member of Nocturnal Falcon.
- Critical Status Buff: The more damage she has taken, the more powerful her attacks are
- Insufferable Genius: Possibly giving how often she announces herself as a genius.
- Kill It with Fire: Her plasma bolts
- Shock and Awe: her lightning bolts
A powerful mage that uses Arboreal Arc to control trees and harness the power of magic deep within the earth.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After his battle with Laxus, the two reach an understanding of sorts because Laxus gave Azuma the fight of his life and Azuma acknowledged Laxus as a person rather than thinking of him as Makarov's grandson.
- Spared By Adaptation: Because he didn't tapped into the power of the Tenrou Tree, his power didn't lose control and turned him into a tree.
- Worf Had the Flu: Due to the lack of plant life and the fact that he's standing on sand and rocks most of the time, Azuma's power isn't nearly enough to take on Mirajane's Satan Soul: Sitri and Freed on Ion Island during the Sindel arc though he does get a lucky shot on Mirajane, forcing the latter to take command of the battle.
- Worthy Opponent: He considers Laxus to be this.
A man considered superior to the Seven Kin of Purgatory. He is Hades' strongest subordinate.
- Interrupted Intimacy: He and Dark Lord Sabine were getting it on before poor Meredy walked in. Thankfully unlike other instances she seemed to be confused when she found them rather than horrified. To be fair, Sabine had her cape around her and Bluenote was mostly dressed.
- The Worf Effect: Guy has fought twice during the series insofar and he's lost both times. The first time he was only a teenager and he lost to Fighting Spirit's ace, Nivea Feathermane. Second time he gets the floor mopped with him by Sindel
A man using human subordination magic to possess the legendary goat celestial spirit Capricorn.
- Curbstomp Battle: On the giving and receiving end in the same battle. First, he summons the human hero from the Pergrande Kingdom, Senro, and takes down Virgo and Taurus in record time. Then Lucy summons the demon king Ratatosk and he is quickly put in his place and promptly killed off.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: One of the two Seven Kin of Purgatory to get killed off on Ion Island during the Sindel arc, which is two whole arcs before Tenrou. He only lasts a single scene.
A man copying Elvis' hairstyle that uses Titan Magic much in the same vein as Makarov. He fights Gray, Laxus, Gajeel and Elfman alongside Nala Sarabi during the Tenrou Island arc. A former member of Nocturnal Falcon.
A red haired mage capable of using pins that shut down the enemy nervous system when jammed into her targets neck, and summoning familiars made out of silver dust. She fights Lisanna and Lucy during the Tenrou Island arc. A former member of Nocturnal Falcon.
- Attack Its Weak Point: Her familiars are completely intangible except for the portions that are actually being used to attack at the same time. And even attacking those small portions won't destroy them.
Dark Lord Sabine/Margaret Fernandes
The former guild master of Revenant's Tomb, which, before Fairy Tail defeated it, was Grimoire Heart's strongest subordinate guild in the Balam Alliance. Sabine is introduced as a Bait-and-Switch Boss to her own guild, dressed in full armor. Up to that point, Dark Lord Edge was supposedly the guild master, but even Erza noted he was weaker than Emma (see below).
Sabine is a darkness god slayer and a master of dark magic, even capable of Flight. She also turns out to be Jellal Fernandes' mother who sold Jellal into slavery because he annoyed her and constantly starved for attention.
Sabine's goals are to create her own world where she is queen. She dislikes weaklings and finds having to dirty her own hands on the battlefield so beneath her that she lets Edge pretend to be guild master since very few can actually match her in battle. Much like fellow former guild master Emma Jaeger, Sabine was broken out of jail by Ultear in order so that her power could continue to serve Hades.
- A God Am I: After absorbing the Tenrou Tree, Sabine makes a speech like this to Erza.
- Almighty Janitor: Only Bluenote and Hades are stronger than her in the guild and yet Ultear is given the leadership position of the Seven Kin of Purgatory.
- Badass Arm-Fold: Does this a lot during chapter 89 while interacting with the members of Grimoire Heart
- Birds of a Feather: She adopts Zancrow. Let that say everything.
- Conceive and Kill: How she was impregnated with Jellal by the guild master of Shining Lodestone. Though she was surprised she got impregnated since that wasn't part of the original plan.
- Child by Rape: Not her, but her son Jellal Fernandes. And she's not the victim she's the rapist.
- Curbstomp Battle: While Sabine is clearly no slouch in a fight, managing to put down both Erza and Mirajane, Gildarts puts her in her place. Amusingly enough, she had supposedly done the same to him and Nonette 23 years ago.
- Dark Is Evil: A clear cut example.
- Disproportionate Retribution: She sold Jellal into slavery simply because he annoyed her and dared ask for motherly attention. Well, that and, at the time, Jellal showed no promise as a powerful mage despite being Margaret's son.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Chillingly averted. Listening to Sabine talk about what she did to the guild master of Shining Lodestone makes it clear that she violated his personal space and had Jellal as a result For the Evulz.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: She's always confused when people, including her allies, are disgusted that she sold her own son into slavery for not living up to her expectations. The only character that hasn't been bothered by this is Zancrow.
- Flight: She can levitate short distances on her own, but her cape gives her free reign to fly.
- Freudian Excuse: Subverted. Sabine begins to talk about her backstory in chapter 101, but it's clear this woman has no redemption factor to her whatsoever. She is 100% Evil.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Where do I begin?! She is not only Jellal's mother and the reason he ended up in the Tower of Heaven, but she is also the main reason why Atarella had to abandon her daughter, Kallan, and the killer of Alysha Fateburn's lover, Travis Fateburn. Needless to say, she has earned the spite of many people, including her archenemies.
- It's All About Me: Many characters are surprised by how self-centered she is. Best exemplified when she tells Erza she sees Taking Over The World as her birthright.
- The Juggernaut: Able to stand up to Erza and Mirajane at the same time.
- Obviously Evil: No, really? You mean it's a bad thing to be a rapist and sell your own son into slavery for no reasonable reason whatsoever? I never knew that!
- Rape as Backstory: Except that she is the rapist, just to hammer home how evil she is. She crushed her opponent's pride in front of his guild in order to crush their pride.
- Samus Is a Girl: She is initially introduced as wearing all armor with her Face Framed in Shadow as she's modifying her voice with a lachryma in her helmet. This is simply because she feels that she is a completely different person now and doesn't want to be associated with her former name. However, while this much is not a spoiler being Jellal's mom is.
- After recruiting her, Hades even tells her not to be concerned with her appearance since Fairy Tail now knows who she is.
- Shock and Awe: Darkness magic isn't the only school of thought she's proficient in as Erza found out the hard way.
- Take Over the World: Her primary M.O is to become crowned queen of the world.
- That Man Is Dead: It's Dark Lord Sabine not Margaret Fernandes, though she doesn't seem to care much either way.
- The Starscream: She wants to be seen as the leader of the Seven Kin of Purgatory because she considers herself largely more powerful than Ultear. Given what she managed to do she's probably right.
- After Ultear's defection, she seems to get her wish as Hades nominates her as the successor to the guild, especially after his Devil's Heart is destroyed. Morrigan had a thing or two to say about that.
- Chapter 237 shows us Morrigan suspects she's up to her old tricks, but for now she's loyal.
- You Monster!: Erza spares no expense telling Sabine how vile and disgusting she thinks she is. She's not wrong.
A third-generation ice dragon slayer—she has both lachryma and had a dragon parent—Emma is one cold customer. Greatly resembling Esdeath she believes that only the strong survive and, much like Rustyrose, has contempt for the weak.
She killed her dragon parent, Fafnir, because she was power hungry and saw the power she could get as a resultnote .
She used to be the guild master of Grimoire Heart's second strongest subordinate guild, Frozen Jaguar, but Fairy Tail beat them down, Emma included, during the Sindel arc. Hades had Ultear break her out of prison and she is now one of the Seven Kin of Purgatory as one of the replacements for Kain Hikaru and Zoldeo.
- Action Mom: After the Timeskip she and Tetsuo have a daughter named Silvia.
- An Ice Person: she's a third generation dragon slayer
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Emma is strong enough to be a guild master in her own rate, able to stand even with Natsu, Erza and Laxus simultaneously.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: The only reason Hades made her a guild master rather than one of the Seven Kin originally is that Emma is a better leader than she is a follower. In other words, she's such a badass he had her lead a different guild working under him rather than be part of his guild.
- Battle Couple: She and Tetsuo can be seen as this since they're going out and to be wed, but they've yet to fight side by side.
- Berserk Button: Emma doesn't like it when her Love Interest Tetsuo is insulted. When grievous harm comes to him this trope goes Up to Eleven.
- Big Damn Heroes: Shows up during the Envoy From the Future arc to kick major dragon ass.
- Dominatrix: She has a prison bitch when she's in jail and breaks two of Grimoire Heart's two weakest members for the fun of it.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Downplayed. Emma remarks to Natsu, after he beats her on Tenrou Island, that they're now rivals and one day she will beat him.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Go ahead, mock, ridicule or question her relationship with Tetsuo we'll watch.
- Evil Feels Good: She doesn't seem to care that she's now on the wrong side of the law. Then again, being with her One True Love probably helps.
- FaceHeel Turn: Though it's arguable how much of a face she actually was before leading her guild to become a dark guild when she started helping out Nocturnal Falcon. See Love Makes You Evil below.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Gee, we can't imagine why.
- Love Makes You Evil: Questionable, but probable only because of Fairy Tail's sense of morality. Tetsuo was clearly on the wrong side of the law when he and Emma were originally at odds during what's known as The Rune Knight murders—essentially a parallel to the plot of Akame ga Kill!—though it's clear he and his guild Nocturnal Falcon were simply doing what Lelouch does best. Emma was defending a corrupt leader of the Rune Knights and through some very fierce leg work, Tetsuo managed to convince her that "some people just need to die". Emma then got her guild, Frozen Jaguar, blacklisted in order to be with Tetsuo. She doesn't seem to be shying away from it either.
- Odd Couple: Her and Tetsuo. She is a sadistic Dominatrix with a Lack of Empathy, Tetsuo is a relatively Nice Guy, determinate and his only real crime is his belief to Pay Evil unto Evil.
- Psycho for Hire:
- Sadist: Big time
- Sex Is Violence: She's gets a little too joyous at the prospect at fighting Natsu's blue flames.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: Emma is the first indication in the fanfic that things are NOT going to be a walk in the park for any good guy, including Fairy Tail, which is a far cry from the continuous easy victories fans are tired of in canon.
A green haired young man that's sort of a pervert and in the habit of wearing goggles. He uses string magic. He fights Bickslow during the Tenrou Island arc. A former member of Nocturnal Falcon.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Averted. He actually uses them to block off Bickslow's Figure Eyes, at least until Bickslow rips them off.
- Razor Floss: His strings have been used to cut through vault doors.
A childish and obese man that uses cursing magic via a voo-doo doll.
- Butt-Monkey: Not only is he killed off in his only appearance in the whole fic, he's defeated by Bisca and Alzack, two characters that aren't even part of the Tenrou Island group, and an original character.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Gets launched off Ion Island by a gigantic cannonball and subsequently eaten by a kraken.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Kain kind of sort of shows up to die, doesn't he?
A black haired, red-eyed sword mage. Lyn is stoic and broken inside, but she cares deeply about her guild members. She fights Erza during the Tenrou Island arc and is a former member of Nocturnal Falcon.
- Always Someone Better: Lyn has a stubborn refusal to admit that Erza is stronger than her, until Erza drives the point home.
- Attack Its Weak Point: Geass: Lock-on does this in what seems to be a Shout-Out to Azrael.
- Broken Bird: Lyn's parents were killed in a bandit raid when she was seven. Her sister was adopted without her when she was eleven. Lyn was then sent to a super soldier type of program to unleash her potential as a mage, becoming a ruthless cutthroat. However, when she found out what she was being used for she snapped. Olivia, Nocturnal Falcon's former guild master, helped her calm down and she's been with Nocturnal Falcon ever since until the guild dissolved and its elite members were broken out of prison to help Grimoire Heart. Poor girl's had it pretty rough.
- Casting a Shadow: Lyn can merge into her own shadow, or another shadow, and travel along that shadow for several seconds.
- Defeat Means Friendship: In a sense. Lyn has clearly warmed up to Erza after her defeat at Erza's hands.
- FOIL: She is this to Erza. Erza even notes that if she had walked a different path she she could've turned out just like Lyn. Also, while Erza favors Dual Wielding, Lyn seems to favor using only a single blade in combat.
- Made of Iron: Her Super Armor can make her incredibly defensive so that swings from Erza's Blue Blood armor only inflict minor cuts.
- Not So Different: Both of them are among their guild's best, both of them were betrayed by the people close to them growing up and both of them keep their emotional backstories bottled inside them that only their guild masters know the full details of.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Not only are they her natural eye color, but she also has geass magic.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: Lyn will have none of Erza trying to tell her that she stop being an assassin and a dark mage.
- The Stoic: She barely talks to Erza at the start of their fight. Then, when Erza becomes a Worthy Opponent, she starts to open up to her. Leading to...
- Super Speed: She can make herself so fast with High Speed she had Erza completely off her guard at first.
- When She Smiles: She gives Erza a great big smile at the end of the battle with her.
Morrigan ley Fair
See this page for more details on her.
A blond, scantily clad mage that uses takeover: mythical beast soul. She can use a partial takeover to give herself a lion's ears, tail and claws and she can become a full-fledged Chimera. She fights Gray, Laxus, Gajeel and Elfman alongside Chad Strongwind during the Tenrou Island arc. A former member of Nocturnal Falcon.
- Shmuck Bait: Falls victim to one of Laxus' thunder palace lachryma by attacking it when Laxus gulped like he'd be in trouble if she did so. In Laxus' own words: Hook, line and sinker. .
- Stripperific: Her outfit is described as being such.
A silver haired woman with blue eyes that is missing an eye and an arm. She is the former guild master of Nocturnal Falcon, now still technically in charge of its elite after Hades broke them out of prison. She fights Gildarts during the Tenrou Island arc and appears to have some sort of history with him. Her magic is The Force...or an equivalent thereof.
- An Arm and a Leg: She lost her arm and her eye in an accident of some kind.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Like Sabine, she can't hold a candle to Gildarts.
- Eyepatch of Power: On the same side as her prosthetic arm she wears an eyepatch. She lost both eye and arm to some sort of accident.
Precht "Hades" Gaebolg
The former leader of Grimoire Heart now renamed Goddess Wing and also the second master of Fairy Tail. He wants to use the power of Zeref and the world's true magic to create a utopia where only magic exists.
- And I Must Scream: Morrigan turns him into one of her 'angels' for future use.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: He knows that Fairy Tail is dangerous not because of their individual strength, but because of their bonds to each other. Solution? Break a guild out of prison that understands these bonds and therefore can call upon The Power of Friendship to fight Fairy Tail on even ground.
- Enemy Mine: He fought alongside Makarov against Sindel, and once the battle is over, they return to being enemies.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He thinks VV is scum. That says a lot.
- Properly Paranoid: He wasn't entirely wrong when he believed Sindel's power would grow out of control eventually.
- Would Hurt a Child: To be fair, Sindel is a case of Fish out of Temporal Water and forcibly turned into a 14-year-old, but Hades was willing to use an Amaterasu formula on her simply because he thinks she's too dangerous to let live.
A young man with gray hair in a coif that wears glasses. He is the wielder of the Arc of Embodiment, which lets him create anything with the power of imagination.
- Berserk Button: Insulting his Warrior Poet nature will result in him getting increasingly irritated until he just flat out delves into Unstoppable Rage.
- Eviler Than Thou: Sabine makes it clear she thinks herself this way compared to him. She even suggests that when she rules the world, he'd make a nice court jester. Rustyrose was not amused.
- Oh, Crap!: Has this reaction while realizing Sindel's power is greater than anything he can imagine. He nearly soils himself in fear and says What Are You before being knocked out.
- Pet the Dog: Subverted. While he does spare Meredy from Sabine's verbal abuse, he only did it because he didn't want them to fight since Meredy would get beaten so badly that he would have to clean her off the walls with a mop.
A black haired, thick eyebrowed, white clad, swordswoman. She fights Mirajane, Freed and Airy during the Tenrou Island arc. A former member of Nocturnal Falcon.
- Bullet Time: Her Focus Magic gives her a seven second duration of this at a time. It pales in comparison to Airy's Fox Fire, which can last as long as Airy concentrates hard enough.
- The Bus Came Back: After not being seen since the Tenrou Island arc, she returns to the story briefly in chapter 242 as one of Morrigan's Angels, Gabriella.
- Gold and White Are Divine: Her angel outfit in chapter 242 is pure white with a golden mask and a golden katana.
- Long-Lost Relative: Chapter 228 reveals she's the younger sister of Lieutenant General Kurena Menjou of the Rune Knights.
- Super Speed: She uses High Speed magic to increase her speed dramatically.
A purple haired, bespectacled young woman that is Ax-Crazy and uses Blade Body magic. She fights Juvia and Cana during the Tenrou Island arc. A former member of Nocturnal Falcon.
A user of Takeover: Wyvern Soul. He is Emma Jaeger's boyfriend and a former member of the dark guild Nocturnal Falcon and Frozen Jaguar. The guild was a group of assassins that was trying to kill the corrupt Minister General of the Rune Knights. He and Emma fought tooth and nail until he convinced her to switch sides.
He and Nocturnal Falcon were caught up in a bout against Zero and subsequently arrested and imprisoned. Emma had him bailed out of prison with Hades' help and he has been at her side since. After his and Emma's defeat at the hands of Fairy Tail, he would've remained imprisoned had she not demanded that he be brought along with Grimoire Heart, else she'd stay imprisoned. He is not one of the Seven Kin of Purgatory, but that doesn't mean he's to be taken lightly.
- Battle Couple: While he's yet to fight at her side, he and Emma are dating and they both kick ass. They later do fight together in the Tenrou Island arc.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Tetsuo has admitted that he's crazy about Emma. He admits that she has some... problems and personality defects. But he's doing his best to fix her.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: Wyverns, but same principle applies.
- Knight Templar: He kills people to protect others. Unfortunately, this is the Fairy Tail universe where that kind of behavior is not accepted
- Love Martyr: He believes he can fix Emma. He says he has made progress. Meredy remains unconvinced.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: for dealing with people who hurt the innocent.
- Survivor Guilt: Downplayed. It's more like Freedom Guilt given the rest of his old guild is still incarcerated and he's shacking up with his girlfriend on an airship.
- Token Good Teammate: He is the most moral person on the team. His only black moral really is that he believes that some people need to be killed to protect the innocent. He even treasures his comrades, a rarity for any villain in the Fairy Tail universe.
- Took a Level in Badass: Thanks to Emma directly overseeing his growth after he was released from prison the first time, Tetsuo now has the souls of an elder and a king wyvern to tap into.
Grimore Heart's crazy flame god slayer.
- Birds of a Feather: Is so enchanted by how evil Sabine is that he's perfectly comfortable with being adopted by her. Also, while Emma terrifies him with how she made him her bitch, he still respects her amazing strength and willingness to pick on the weak.
- Spared By Adaptation: Thanks to Morrigan, Zeref didn't kill him, although he does get knocked out.