All character tropes should go on the Fairy Tail character pages. The characters from Phoenix Priestess are listed below with the character page they are currently on.
Characters from Fairy Tail
- Fairy Tail
- Kingdom of Fiore: Toma E. Fiore, Hisui E. Fiore
- Alvarez Empire: Brandish μ, Invel Yura
- Main Villains: Zeref, Acnologia
- Celestial Spirits: Gemini, Virgo, Scoripo, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Plue, Horologium
- Dragons: Igneel, Zirconis
Kingdom of Stella
Voiced by: Makoto Furukawa (Japanese), Michael Sinterniklaas (English)
The mysterious king of Stella, who masterminds the theft of the Dragon Cry for use in a mysterious ceremony to harness its magic.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Once defeated by Natsu, Animus peacefully fades away after Sonya destroys the Dragon Cry and thanks him for caring for her, even though it was all a lie. Sonya then insists to Fairy Tail that, evil or not, Animus was still the closest thing she had to a family.
- Anti-Villain: Although Animus is a dragon who hunted humans for food and amusement, his primary goal in the film is to free himself from his imprisonment within Sonya and avenge his fallen race.
- Bait the Dog: Animus continually tells Zash not to let any harm come to Sonya, and violently reprimands him when he fails, making it seem as though a part of him still cares for his friend's well-being. In reality, it's because he's stuck in Sonya's body and would be harmed with her; once he's free, he has no trouble batting Sonya away.
- Big Bad: He is the main antagonist of Dragon Cry.
- Childhood Friends: Subverted. Sonya says Animus has been with her for as long as she can remember, and always treated her kindly until he started becoming obsessed with the Dragon Cry. However, it turns out he's a dragon who wanted to eat her until he was mortally wounded by Acnologia. Desperate to save himself, he implanted his soul within Sonya and was biding his time until he could use the Dragon Cry to free himself.
- Death by Secret Identity: Animus figures out that Natsu is E.N.D., the "destroyer of all", after Natsu survives getting impaled and starts beating him to a pulp. Natsu, who isn't aware of his own identity yet, doesn't let him say more than the first two letters before interrupting him.
- Evil Sounds Deep: When Animus takes over Sonya's body, her high-pitched voice becomes deep and intimidating. His true voice in his dragon form is similarly booming, as one would expect a giant dragon to sound.
- Glamour Failure: A few hints that give away that Animus is actually in Sonya's body and has no physical presence is that his shadow is shaped like hers whenever he's speaking with Zash, while he has no reflection in windows or water when he speaks to Sonya.
- Gem Tissue: Animus' dragon form noticeably has horns and claws that look like they're made of crystal.
- Hypocrite: Animus tells Natsu that it was because of the Dragon Slayers that his race fell into near-extinction. What he apparently fails to realize is that Dragon Slayers only came about because of dragons like him that preyed on humans in the first place.
- Light Is Not Good: He is blond in his human form, and his royal attire is white and gold. However, he's actually quite evil and manipulative.
- Manipulative Bastard: Because he's trapped inside Sonya, he uses her to take the Dragon Cry while masquerading as a suffering childhood friend.
- Meaningful Name: "Animus" is the Latin word for "soul", while in Jungian philosophy, it refers to a woman's inner masculinity. Both allude to the fact that Animus is actually a dragon whose soul takes over Sonya's body when she is unaware.
- Oh, Crap!: Twofold. One when Zash actually manages to hit him with his brainwashing magic and take control of him, and again when Natsu recovers from his fatal blow (twice) and he realizes he's facing E.N.D.
- Puny Humans: He was with the faction of dragons that only saw humans as food. When he's finally released, he intends to wipe out humanity and bring the age of dragons back.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: He is a dragon who sealed himself within Sonya's body, much like how Igneel hid himself inside Natsu. Unlike Igneel, who could leave whenever he deemed fit because of Natsu's Dragon Slayer properties, Animus is trapped inside Sonya and requires the power of the Dragon Cry to free himself.
- Sincerity Mode: As he lays dying, he sees Sonya actually smile for the first time and mentions she looks beautiful.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Sonya says that he used to have a kind heart until he became obsessed with the Dragon Cry. Subverted when it's revealed Animus was manipulating her from the very beginning.
- Walking Spoiler: Although he is clearly billed as the Big Bad, his true identity is one of the film's major twists.
Voiced by: Aoi Yuuki (Japanese), Erica Mendez (English)
A girl who is the aide, container, and childhood friend of King Animus. She is also a wizard who can sense the life energy of other people. She believes the Dragon Cry to be vital to the survival of her kingdom.
- All-Loving Heroine: She is the single most heroic character from Stella, and expresses great sadness whenever she witnesses wanton death and violence, regardless of whether they are friend or foe.
- Anti-Villain: While she opposes Zash's brutal tactics, she still insists that Fairy Tail leave the Dragon Cry with her people, and stands behind Animus's actions despite his increasing cruelty. Learning the truth of Dragon Cry's evil nature and Animus's plans is what prompts her to perform a HeelFace Turn.
- Continuity Cameo: She makes a cameo in the manga during the Dragon Slayers' final battle with Acnologia, shown within a flashback snippet framing Acnologia's Motive Rant. She also has an implied cameo in the anime along with the other Dragon Slayers flying out of Eclipse after traveling from the past, suggesting that came to the present with them against everyone's knowledge.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: According to her backstory with Animus, she was living in the time when dragons were still prevalent, which was 400 years ago. It's never explained how she is still alive in the present until Episode 320 of the anime, where it's heavily implied that she traveled through the very same Eclipse gate that Anna and the Dragon Slayers used to get to the present, trailing behind the Dragon Slayers not long after they were flung to different corners of the country.
- Heel Realization: Although she is aware of and deeply distressed by Animus and Zash's actions, she genuinely believes that using the Dragon Cry would help both Animus and her kingdom, and is at a loss for words when Natsu completely shoots her down on the basis that he understands the staff's horrible power better than she does. It isn't until she feels the staff's power for herself that she realizes Natsu was right.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She has no recollection of Animus's identity as a dragon when he saved her life by inhabiting her body with the Dragon Soul technique, which is indicated in the manga to cause a degree of memory loss for the host.
- Sensor Character: She can detect the life energy of others, which comes in handy when navigating the corridors of Stella's dungeon to avoid detection.
- Small Role, Big Impact: For a character in a Non-Serial Movie, The Stinger shows she had an influence on the main plot of Fairy Tail when Acnologia, back when he was still a human with morals, swore to avenge her and all humans who suffered under the dragon race.
- Tomato in the Mirror: When Natsu and Happy catch Sonya in a conversation with Animus, only for her to realize she's been talking to thin air, she begins to think that she is Animus, even turning to find Animus in a mirror. In reality, though, he is actually a dragon who is Sharing a Body with her.
- Unwitting Pawn: It only takes a few choice words from Animus to try and persuade her into taking the staff and nearly seal Stella's fate in his favor.
Voiced by: Jiro Saito (Japanese), Ray Chase (English)
Fiore's former Minister of State, a brutal man who was exiled for crimes against the kingdom and defected to the kingdom of Stella. He is a practitioner of black magic that allows him to control others' bodies.
- All Men Are Perverts: Lucy had Gemini copy her in her belly dancer outfit, and with a teasing wriggle of her toe, he was totally mesmerized. It's Played for Laughs until he reveals his dungeon full of young, psychologically damaged women.
- Blood Magic: His Black Magic requires a daily blood sacrifice to work. He kidnaps young women for this purpose, keeping them captive in Stella's dungeon.
- Card-Carrying Villain: He has no shame in expressing how evil he is, proudly admitting he is the most powerful wizard in Stella.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: He once plotted against the king of Fiore after becoming their Minister of State, and now he has his sights on Animus.
- Cigar Chomper: Seen with a cigar on two different occasions throughout the movie.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Not only does he insult a rampaging dragon right to his face, he manages to get him under mind control, too!
- Dragon with an Agenda: He is Animus's right-hand man, but has his own plans to use the Dragon Cry that don't involve the king or his people.
- Evil Chancellor: Although he is Animus's closest lieutenant, he rose to that position of power through various shady dealings, and has a fairly transparent desire to overthrow the king.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: Being a mere human, Zash is unable to handle the rage and sorrow of dragons that fuels the Dragon Cry's magic, resulting in his death.
- Freudian Excuse: He was shunned in Fiore for his Black Magic, and thus began conspiring to destroy his former homeland for casting him out.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has two raggedy scars on the right side of his face that look like a dragon clawed him.
- The Heavy: While Animus is the Big Bad, he doesn't take any direct action until the third act of the film, leaving Zash to do all the dirty work. Justified as Animus is trapped in Sonya's body and can't act as freely as he wants.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: In the end, he is killed by the very weapon he hoped to use to destroy Fiore.
- Hypnotic Eyes: His magic gives him complete control over anyone who looks directly into his eyes. Naturally, the one way to combat this is using eye protection.
- Lack of Empathy: He has no desire for friendship, and his most favorite way of using his magic is forcing close friends to fight and kill each other.
- Name of Cain: His surname is Caine, and he is one of the series' most unabashed Card-Carrying Villains.
- Nerves of Steel: The guy needs to have huge balls for being able to insult a dragon—one of the most dreaded creatures in Earth-land's history—and walk away from it scot-free.
- No Body Left Behind: He gets vaporized by the immense, raw magic power of the Dragon Cry.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Not Zash himself, but the eyes of those who fall under his control glow with a reddish tint.
- Revenge: Basically his ultimate goal: he wants revenge against Fiore for kicking him out of their kingdom, despite the fact that he gave them every reason to do so by 1.) dabbling in the dark arts, and 2.) trying to take over said kingdom in the first place.
- Right-Hand Attack Dog: He keeps a giant hound called Red Knife, which is large enough for him to ride on.
- Sadist: He delights in causing pain to others. The start of the movie establishes this when he attacks the White Tiger and forces them to kill each other for no reason other than entertainment, especially when Sonya tells him they could've just easily bypassed them without any bloodshed. Likewise, there's his whole dungeon full of female prisoners who he keeps alive for daily blood sacrifices.
- Self-Disposing Villain: He's taken out not by Fairy Tail or Animus, but his own lust for power when trying to take control of the Dragon Cry. The power ends up being more than he was expecting (being powered my the sorrow and wraith of dragons who were killed by Dragon Slayers likely contributing), and ultimately vaporizes his body into nothing.
- The Starscream: He hates having to play second-fiddle to Animus and plots to take him out once the time is right. He succeeds before Animus can fully enact his plan with the Dragon Cry, and warps his mind to keep him out of the way, but it doesn't last long before he's overpowered by the staff.
The kingdom of Stella's elite military unit, who use Stellanium-enhanced weaponry and magic items to fight.
- All There in the Script: The Three Stars' individual names are only mentioned in the film credits and official website.
- Glass Cannon: All three of them deliver a nasty Curb-Stomp Battle to Fairy Tail's strongest team during their first encounter, but one well-placed hit is all Fairy Tail needs to take them out the second time.
- Punch-Clock Villain: They aren't bad people while off the clock, since during the epilogue of the movie they're seen helping the citizens of Altair to rebuild the city.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: They serve as this for Animus and Zash in Dragon Cry.
- Terrible Trio: They're called the "Three Stars" for this reason.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Swan is the sole female among the male Doll and Gapri.
Voiced by: Chiaki Takahashi (Japanese), Cristina Valenzuela (English)
A woman uses armored leg braces to enhance her kicks.
- Dance Battler: Swan moves about like a ballerina, which isn't surprising considering her combat style.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: One of many silver-haired examples in this series.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She fights barefoot to streamline her leg movements. Erza later tries to copy this with an armor that has her also barefoot.
- Kick Chick: Swan's magic focuses on her magic-enhanced legs. Even Erza knows her only as "the leg-fighter".
- Lightning Bruiser: She moves quickly, and one of her kicks is strong enough to break right through Erza's armor.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Lets these out quite frequently.
- Playboy Bunny: Besides having rabbit-like ears, she seems to have a rabbit's tail. That alongside her outfit make her look like one.
- Unusual Ears: Has rabbit-like ears. It's not known if they are real or just a part of her hair.
- Worthy Opponent: She finds herself completely mesmerized by Erza when she manages to block her kicks with one of her own.
Voiced by: Ryota Takeuchi (Japanese), Bob Carter (English)
A man who controls two fire-breathing dolls named Francoise and Caitlin.
- Berserk Button: Doesn't like it one bit when Gray insults Francoise and Caitlin.
- The Comically Serious: He is a stony-faced muscleman who fights using dolls and only strikes poses.
- Facial Markings: There are triangular patterns on his face.
- Harmless Freezing: Like Cannon before him, Doll is beaten once Gray freezes him solid. He's later seen during the credits completely fine.
- Mighty Glacier: Doll, being as big and burly as he is, always stands in one spot and lets his Powers Do the Fighting, while he fares the best out of his teammates when it comes to taking hits from his opponent.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Despite his unbelievably muscular build, Doll never uses his girth for combat, and it doesn't do him one lick of good against Gray's ice magic.
- Playing with Fire: Doll's dolls, Francoise and Caitlin, are able to breathe fire.
- Powers Do the Fighting: Doll's magic revolves entirely around letting his dolls fly around and burn his enemies to a crisp. Once Juvia takes them out of commission, he's left otherwise powerless.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He is one of the manliest-looking men to appear in the entire series...and his whole character shtick is playing with dolls.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has dark green hair.
Voiced by: Taku Yashiro (Japanese), Nathan Sharp (English)
A man who rides an iron ball at super-fast speeds.
- Ambiguously Brown: Has dark skin, but also has blue hair.
- Catchphrase: "You're too slow!"
- Cheshire Cat Grin: His default expression.
- Fragile Speedster: He is completely speed-oriented in his abilities. All it takes Wendy and Carla to beat him are a well-placed kick to knock him off his board, followed by an extra punch for good measure.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: He wears a red one, and literally runs (or flies) circles around Fairy Tail.
- Sky Surfing: His iron ball changes shape into a surfboard, making him even faster in the air.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has light blue hair.
An army of Fourth Generation Dragon Slayers, which are artificial soldiers created by Zash from Dragon Slayer lacrima.
- Elite Mooks: They're summoned to keep all of Natsu's friends busy throughout the climax of the movie, and prove to be more taxing opponents than the Three Stars, since they're automatons that fight without rest.
- Keystone Army: Zash powers them with the Dragon Cry's magic, which keeps them running until the staff is destroyed by Sonya.
- Meaningful Name: "Quartum" is the Latin word for "fourth", and they are fourth generation of Dragon Slayers.
Kingdom of Fiore
Voiced by: Ai Kakuma (Japanese), Dawn M. Bennett (English)
The leader of White Tiger, one of Fiore's elite military units.
- Badass in Distress: She's captured by Zash at the beginning of the movie, but is released by Lucy alongside the other female prisoners later.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Zash uses his magic to make her and her soldiers kill each other. She looks heartbroken when she returns to normal.
- Break the Badass: Getting brainwashed by Zash into slaughtering her own men, and then being subjected to physical and psychological torture on a daily basis, briefly reduces her to a shell of her usually confident self. The Credits Montage suggests she managed to recover, however.
- Boyish Short Hair: Fitting for the leader of a military unit.
- Due to the Dead: She's seen visiting the tombs of her subordinates during the Credits Montage of the movie.
- Royal Rapier: She fights with one.
- Sole Survivor: She and one of her men are the only survivors in Zash's attack.
- Tears of Remorse: After being released from Zash's mind control once she and her whole unit have slaughtered each other, she silently lays on the ground with tears in her eyes.