Randy "Ryo" MacLeanThe first protagonist of the story. A new detective at the 27th precinct that is made Dee's partner at the beginning of the story. He's Japanese-American who was driven to become a police officer by the murder of his parents. He has a very kind and soft spoken outward demeanor but on the inside has many conflicts about his own identity as a man. He often scolds Dee for his advances but deeply cares for his partner and has taken in the orphaned Bikky. He also looks out for Bikky's friend Carol whenever she is in need.
- Bishōnen: Dee says he's beautiful and Diana calls him a pretty boy.
- Implausible Deniability: Likes to adamantly deny he's not jealous when someone else kisses Dee even if it's obvious.
- The Ingenue: Yes, Ryo is a rare male version. In the English version, other characters even jokingly call him 'Sandra Dee, an actress known for playing ingenues.
- Master of the Mixed Message: For someone who scolds Dee for his advances and wants to be left alone, he sure lets Dee kiss him a lot and gets jealous when others kiss Dee. Not to mention the times he voluntarily kisses Dee.....
- Mr. Fanservice: Cute, kindhearted moe guy who ends up bare chested several times courtesy of Dee.
- Tsundere: Type B. He's the sweetest and kindest dude off-work, but when he gets pissed...Dee: ... Dear God, but you can be one catty bitch!
Dee LaytnerThe second protagonist of the story. A detective of the 27th precinct and later the 52nd, he is head over heels in love with his partner Ryo. Often pounces Ryo but has principles and will always look out for Ryo. He is easily amused, well liked but often thought of as obnoxious by the others. He was raised in an orphanage and still sends gifts to the children despite claiming he hates children. He's there for Bikky and Carol whenever they need help even if Bikky isn't particularly fond of him.
- Accidental Pervert: Along with Bikky, accidentally walks in on Carol nude in the bathroom.
- Bishōnen: According to himself, he's not just pretty but uber hot when Drake calls him a pretty boy.
- Chivalrous Pervert: As said above, he can be very pushy in his Ryo chase, but when Ryo is incapacitated or comes on him when drunk, he won't take the bait. Not to mention he's damn loyal to his friends/coworkers.
- Parental Abandonment: Was literally abandoned by his unknown parent(s) when he was a very small child.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Much comic relief comes from Dee failing to ensnare Ryo.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Dee explains Laytner is a made up name based on Latener but in Fake II, Dee's business card spells his name as 'Latener'.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Bikky.
A half caucasian, half African-American orphan that Dee and Ryo meet as a witness during a case. He immediately is hostile towards Dee but takes a liking to Ryo who bonds with him. He's taken in by Ryo and very protective of Ryo. Bikky decides it's his job to protect Ryo from the perverted Dee to Dee's chagrin.
- Accidental Pervert: Accidentally walks in on Carol nude in the bathroom with Dee.
- Mistaken for Gay: Carol initially thought Bikky's homophobia was because he was a closeted gay. Bikky proved her wrong when he kissed her and declared he was going to be her first boyfriend. Carol didn't mind in the slightest.
- Wise Beyond His Years: A slightly downplayed but still significant version. Bikky's Book Dumb and still immature but he's Street Smart, has good intuition and keeps a cool head in crisis situations. This is especially apparently when he's with boys his age and is the leader because 1. he's good at making decisions and 2. he deals well with emergencies.
CarolA girl who seemed to live the life of a street urchin until she became a witness to a crime. She pick pocketed Ryo and was caught by Dee. Afterwards she came to rely on Ryo (and to a lesser extent Dee) for help. She is very close to Bikky and she often visits him at Ryo's home.
- Action Survivor: She fought off her kidnapper and escaped by jumping out a third story window!
Berkley RoseThe Commissioner of the 27th precinct that transferred into that job after taking an interest in Ryo when he met him and Dee during their vacation in England. He is very mature, confident and serious with a piercing gaze. Dee dislikes him and views him as a serious threat over Ryo's affections.
A special agent for the FBI that teams up with the detectives of the 27th precinct during a case. She tends to dress provocatively and is a very confident strong woman that can handle herself well. She becomes close friends with Ryo and he confides in her. She openly flirts with Ryo to tease Dee and Berkley. Dee likes to refer to her as a "sea hag".
- Lady of War: She graceful and poised even when she's injured or in trouble
Jemmy Jay "J.J." AdamsAn old friend of Dee that graduated with him at the police academy. He loves and worships Dee.. to the annoyance of Dee. He's cheerful and eccentric but also the precinct's best shot.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Cheerful, loud, eccentric, kind of annoying but efficient when getting the job done. Even the other guys are surprised.
- Genius Ditz: Yes, he acts like a kid and clings to his adored Dee. No, he's not exactly incompetent when in the job. Yes, his sniping skills are top notch.
Drake ParkerOne of the detectives at the 27th that has known Dee for many years. He is JJ's partner. He is often seen hanging out with Ted and is Dee's drinking buddy outside of work.
- Nice Guy: Seems the least annoyed with J.J.'s antics and even early on in the series was shown comforting J.J. whenever the latter got upset with Dee's relationship with Ryo.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:"Chief! I've managed to apprehend Ben Lloyd, sir! I nabbed him all by myself and definitely without anyone's help!"