Emma AlonsoThe series protagonist. A young witch who finds out she's The Chosen One to lead the witch world. She had mixed feelings about being a witch, but grew into it over time.
- All-Loving Hero: Is never hateful, even towards her enemies, Torres being an exception.
- The Chosen One
- I Just Want to Be Normal: At first she didn't want to be a witch, much less The Chosen One. But she warms up to it.
- Official Couple: With Daniel, until they break up in season 2, and Emma starts dating Jax, but she and Daniel later get back together.
- Love Triangle: With Daniel and Tony in the first season, and Daniel and Jax in the second season.
- Nice Girl: Subverted in season 4
- Not So Different: To Maddie, as Emma grew up missing her mother, and Maddie grew up missing her father.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Compared to the first 3 seasons, she becomes meaner in season 4
- Thou Shall Not Kill: Subverted, as she and Maddie kill Torres at climax of the first season.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Girly Girl to Andi's Tomboy.
Andi CruzEmma's best friend. She is the first to find out that Emma is a witch and is excited at the idea of having a witch for a friend. She helps save Emma from Torres in season one, but in season two their friendship is tested, when Emma had to get rid of Phillip, Andi's zombie boyfriend. And again in Season 4, when Andi disagrees with Emma who wants to use her now fully-developed Chosen One powers to bring her mother back.
- Badass Adorable
- FaceHeel Turn: Has an involuntary one when Maddie places her under a spell to make Andi part of her girl posse. She gets better though.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Emma.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Inverted. She really likes the fact that Emma is a witch and gives Emma a What the Hell, Hero? speech when Emma states doesn't want to have powers.
- I Love the Dead: Had a relationship with a zombie brought to life from a video game in season 2.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: Towards a zombie boy she made from cheat codes. When that boy escapes the game, she becomes his girlfriend.
- The Starscream: When Maddie turned her into one of her Girl Posse, Andi is quick to out-bitch Maddie and all but takes control from her.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Emma's Girly Girl.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gives one to Emma when Emma explains she never asked to be a witch. Andi tells Emma that she has to own who she is and it's like she doesn't even care.
Daniel MillerLeader of the Sharks Swim Team. He is Emma's love interest and Maddie's ex boyfriend. At first was unaware of Emma and Maddie's powers. He finds out about them as the season comes to a close, but thinks they lost their powers. When he learns Emma still has her powers in season 2, he breaks up with her for keeping a secret from him, but they still had feelings for each other and eventually get back together at the season finale.
- Amicable Exes: With Maddie in season 2.
- BadassNormal: Despite having no supernatural powers, he still doesn't hesitate to help fight Torres in the first season finale.
- He and Jax also get into a sword fight while rehearsing for a play. It would have been intense if it weren't for them using a salami and bread stick in lieu of real swords.
- Butt-Monkey: Constantly at the short end of Mr. Alonso's stick. Helps that half the time it's because of Jax's manipulations.
- Cock Fight: His rivalry with Jax. They get into a sword fight while they rehearse for the Romeo and Juliet play, as if to vent their frustrations at eachother.
- Informed Flaw: Mr. Alonso claims that he has bad grades. He was pretty much The Ace in the first season. This becomes very suspicious when you realize Mr. Alonso has it out for Daniel and was the principal at the time of season 2.
- Lovable Jock: The head of the school swimming team and is never mean to anyone.
- Nice Guy
- Official Couple: With Emma as of the end of the first season. There was a breakup in season 2, but they get back together as that season comes to a close.
Maddie Van PeltEmma's initial antagonist. She is another witch and suspect of being The Chosen One. She is also Daniel's ex girlfriend, which motivates her vendetta towards Emma. She grows out of it over time and starts a friendship with Diego.
- Alpha Bitch: Started out as this.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Develops into this in the second season.
- Amicable Exes: To Daniel in season 2.
- Big Bad Wannabe: In season one. Acts as the arch enemy of Emma despite being overshadowed by Torres.
- Even Bad Girls Love Their Parents: She is hurt when she thinks her mother is using her and keeps a photographs of her father and her as a baby in her drawer.
- HeelFace Turn
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Even in her time as a villain, she cared about her friends and thought that Sophie and Beau make a good couple.
- Shipper on Deck: To Sophie and Beau.
- Official Couple: With Diego as of season 2.
Diego RuedaA member of Daniel's swim team and a good friend of Daniel's. He is also the last of the Churi Kanay (meaning "Son of Fire") who can control elements. He befriend Maddie after she looses her powers and agrees to be her proxy to replace her powers. They gradually develop a romantic relationship.
- Elemental Powers: He can master fire, ice wind and even open portals.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Attempts one to help get Maddie's power back.
- Interspecies Romance: Diego - a Kanay - forms a romantic relationship with Maddie - a witch.
- Last of His Kind: Subverted. He is told he is the last of the Kanay, but in Season 3, Mia comes along and turns out to be another one.
- Lovable Jock: As part of Daniel's swim team.
- Nice Guy
- Official Couple: With Maddie.
- Token Good Teammate: In season 2, he was an unofficial member of the Panthers. It helps that the Panthers became nicer people in season 2.
Sophie JohnsonMaddie's dimmer but more friendly friend. She, and Katie where one of the first to find out Maddie's a witch. In season one, she briefly has a relationship with Beau - a lizard Maddie turned human, but decides to let him go when he wants to be a lizard again.
- Beta Bitch: Not to the extent of Katie though.
- The Ditz
- Expy: Reminds one of a Beta Bitch version of [[Series/Victorious Cat]] Valentine.
- Interspecies Romance: Sort of, her boyfriend Beau was a lizard who was turned into a human teenage boy.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: While it hurt her, she doesn't hesitate on asking Maddie to turn Beau back into a lizard to be with his family.
- Master of Disguise: Avoid being detected by the principal by painting her entire body the color of the wall.
Katie RiceA member of Maddie's Girl Posse. She wants to be the head panther but knows that Maddie is a witch. Needless to say, she is still loyal to Maddie.
- Beta Bitch: More so then Sophie, who otherwise is a friendly person if it weren't for being one of the Panthers.
- Black Best Friend: To Maddie and Sophie.
- FaceHeel Turn: Willingly teams up with Mia in order to become Head Panther in Season 3.
- HeelFace Turn: ...and back again to Maddie when she decides Mia is a little too obsessed with wiping out all witches.
- Hidden Depths: Around her birthday she becomes depressed when she thinks no one wants to be her friend and briefly becomes a goth. When Maddie's mother spoils to Katie that they where throwing a surprise birthday party.
- The Starscream: She has these tendencies at various points, but she values her friendship with Maddie and is well aware that Maddie is more powerful then she is.
Jax NovoaAn Australian wizard who is an exchange student at the high school. He uses his powers to his own devices and imposes himself as Emma's new mentor until he looses his powers to the witches council. After Emma and Daniel breakup, Jax becomes Emma's new boyfriend. Turns out he is part of his father's Take Over the World plot and he summons E, Emma's evil clone to help him. It isn't long before he has a HeelFace Turn.
- Affably Evil: Before his HeelFace Turn.
- Anti-Villain: He doesn't seem to have a desire to be evil - he's only following his fathers orders.
- Badass Abnormal: Being a wizard aside, when he and Daniel are practicing a sword fight for a play, it gets pretty instense (that is if they hadn't used a salami and breadstick in lieu of swords). And no, he wasn't using his powers.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: Between himself, E, and Desedemona, although they spend their time double crossing each other.
- Cock Fight: The love triangle between Jax, Emma and Daniel causes resentment between Jax and Daniel. They vent out their anger by sword fighting while practicing a play.
- Devoted to You: The reason why he summons E when Emma wouldn't help him rule the world, and why he helps save the real Emma in the season finale.
- HeelFace Turn: In the climax, he sides with Daniel and Emma when he puts them in danger.
- We Can Rule Together: When he is dating Emma, he suggests they get more powerful and take over the world. When she refused, Jax summons E, Emma's evil clone.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: His father is the real mastermind behind Jax's takeover the world plans, and is very curt and hard to Jax when they talk on the phone.
Francisco AlonsoEmma's father, and a man who believes in science, and is not aware of witches, let alone that Emma is one. He's a stern guy, but really cares about Emma. Doesn't like Daniel, but likes Jax. He was a math teacher in season one, but becomes principal following Torres death.
- Doting Dad: Towards Emma.
- Incredibly Embarrassing Parents: Subverted. He has the personality of one, but Emma never seems embarrassed by him.
- Overprotective Dad: Has this attitude towards Emma and Daniel's relationship.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Downplayed, but throughout season two, most of Daniel's interactions with him, have Mr. Alonso having short patience with him.
- Jerkass Has a Point: When he first got mad at Daniel, Daniel was under a spell that made him say the opposite of what he means, and ends up telling Emma he doesn't like her. The rest of the time, Daniel often messes up, or sometimes Francisco thinks he messes up, at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Ursula Van PeltMaddie's mother. A former witch who is more than excited about Maddie being a witch and plans on mentoring her and mooching off her powers. She also has an unrequited crush on Emma's father.
- All Love Is Unrequited
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: When she has Maddie's powers, the very worst thing she does is put Mr. Alonso under a love spell.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Spends her time in the first season mooching off of Maddie's powers. In the second season when she actually does have Maddie's powers, she still isn't much of a threat.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After Maddie gets his powers back, one of the first things she does in make Ursula her temporary servant
- Rich Bitch
- Stalker with a Crush: To Mr. Alonso.
The Terrible 3 (Tommy, Melanie and Rick Miller)
Tony MyersA boy who befriends Emma in season one. An aspiring magician who learns that Emma is a witch, and has a crush on her.
- Muggle Best Friend: Along with Andie.
- Put on a Bus: Along with Mac, the two left the series between season one and two, and haven't been seen since.
Mac DavisDiego's best friend and a member of The Sharks. One of the first to discover Diego is a Kanay.
- Lovable Jock: As a member of the Sharks.
- Muggle Best Friend: To Diego.
- Put on a Bus: Between season one and two, along with Tony.
Principal TorresThe high school principal in the first season. She's a former witch who wants her powers back and will stop at nothing to get them back.
- Big Bad: Of the first season.
- Character Death: Killed by Emma and Maddie in the season finale.
- Child Hater: She says when she has her powers back, the children will be the first to go.
- The Dreaded: Lily puts it best.Maddie turned me into a monkey. The principal would turn you into a monkey, place you in the jungle and have you torn apart by jackals.
- Evil Is Hammy
- Faux Affably Evil
- Knight of Cerebus: The only thing remotely funny about her is her over the top personality.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Turns people and students into frogs and keeps them in her aquarium, and is sure to do the same to their families to make sure they don't ask questions.
- Sadist Teacher: Ditto on the sadist part.
- The Sociopath
- Would Hurt a Child: See Child Hater above
EAn evil clone of Emma, initially created when Emma has created multiple clones of herself. After being seemingly dealt with, she returns near the end of the season as a major antagonist.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: With Jax and Desdemona. They spend their time as antagonists double crossing each other.
- Dark Is Evil: Dresses in black clothes.
- Enemy Without: A magically created clone use to represent the evil within her.
- First Kiss: Kisses Jax, while he thought she was Emma
- Made of Evil: Being an evil clone and all.
- Walking Spoiler
Jake NovoaJax's father in Australia. A wizard who sent Jax to America to get close to the Chosen One and use her to take over the world.]] Initially appeared as a voice on Jax's phone, and appears in person in season four as a direct threat.
- Abusive Parents: During his phone call to Jax, he is very harsh and curt with him. He is quick to call Jax a disappointment.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Big Bad: Of season 4.
- Bigger Bad: In season two. Save for the phone calls, he has no direct role in the story or setting, and is the one who sent Jax to America in the first place.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: At the receiving end of one from Diego.
- The Dreaded: Even the Witches Council are afraid of him.
- Knight of Cerebus: Is played dead serious, despite not actually appearing and lacks the comical quirks that Torres has.
- Man Behind the Man: He's the mastermind behind Jax's Take Over the World plan.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When it turns out Urusla was hiding his wife from him, he attacks the Van Pelt family reunion.
- Would Hurt a Child: Attacks the Van Pelt family reunion, and intended to kill Maddie as his first target.
A Kanay who appears in Season 3 with a grudge against The Chosen One.
- Berserk Button: Don't take her necklace. She holds Emma and co. hostage over it.
- Big Bad: Of Season 3.
- Conscience Makes You Go Back: In the Season 3 finale, she and Emma get sucked into Andi's Zombie Apocalypse 3 video game and attacked by zombies. Mia initially leaves Emma for dead, but goes back to save her at the last minute.
- Easily Forgiven: After her HeelFace Turn, the Witches' Council wants to take her in for punishment, but Emma makes a Declaration of Protection and tells them to back off.
- Freudian Excuse: The Principal killed her parents, so she now holds a grudge against all witches and wants to kill Emma, their leader. She gets over it at the end of Season 3.
- HeelFace Turn: She makes peace with Emma in the Season 3 finale and releases Diego, who she'd made her slave earlier.
- Irrational Hatred: While her anger towards witches over the death of her parents is understandable, neither Emma nor any of the witches in the cast of Season 3 had anything to do with that and have done nothing to hurt her, even in self-defense. She comes to her senses by the end of the season.
- Redemption Rejection: Numerous characters (Daniel, Diego, and Andi) try to persuade her to give up her vendetta against witches, but she keeps right on going anyway. She finally makes a HeelFace Turn in the Season 3 finale.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her necklace, doubling as an Orphan's Plot Trinket. It is made from a powerful crystal that wards off magic. Mia uses it to protect herself from witches, but even when it becomes clear that they mean her no harm, she insists on recovering the necklace when it's lost because it's the last thing she has from her dad.