Spoiler Warning: Contains some unmarked spoilers.
Bianca OlivierThe main protagonist and narrator of the series. Bianca is a shy, somewhat misfit teenage girl who begins attending Evernight Academy and finds her life changed forever in the process.
- Action Survivor: Is this for most of the series, before becoming a full-fledged Action Girl at the end of Hourglass.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Subverted. Lucas can be seen as a 'bad boy', but Bianca is attracted more to his positive traits and gets irritated when people suggest this trope is the reason she likes him.
- An Ice Person: Gains power over the cold and frost after becoming a wraith.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Downplayed example in Afterlife. She gets quite jealous when Skye starts hanging out with Lucas, but is never openly hostile to Skye and reminds herself that Lucas only has eyes for her. It's somewhat justified in that Bianca is a wraith at the time and so cannot openly be with Lucas, whilst Skye can (despite only having a platonic relationship with Lucas), which frustrates her.
- Cursed with Awesome: After becoming a wraith in Hourglass. Although she's technically dead, she becomes one of the most powerful characters in the series in the process. Even she thinks it's awesome eventually.
- Cute Ghost Girl / Friendly Ghost: Becomes this in the third book.
- Dramatic Necklace Removal: Yanks off the obsidian pendant her parents gave her for Christmas and tosses it to the floor for good measure, after she finds out they have been lying to her since she was born and never told her the wraiths were coming after her. However, as she took the time to undo the clasp properly instead of breaking the chain, she can still wear it when Mrs Bethany returns it to her.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Seems to have this ability, though she never really brings it up with the other characters or fully understands what her dreams mean.
- Fiery Redhead: Averted, initially - she has bright red hair, but she's shy, gentle and wouldn't say boo to a goose, though she becomes more outspoken as the series progresses. Threatening her friends or boyfriend is also a good way to piss her off, making her play this trope straight.
- First Love: Lucas is this for her. She ultimately sticks with him through to the end.
- First-Person Smartass: Downplayed, but she has her moments, mostly consisting of thinking snarky things about the school bullies.
- Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire: Revealed to be this (or at least, half vampire) part way through the first book.
- Grew a Spine: Increasingly so after the first book.
- Guile Heroine: Although reluctantly, she lampshades that she and Lucas seem to get out of trouble by just lying their heads off.
- Hope Bringer: To the wraiths.
- I Am Not Pretty: Often states this, though several other characters see her as quite beautiful. Upon seeing herself dressed up in a Pimped-Out Dress, she states that she "might actually believe" people's comments about her looks and that although she isn't a "magazine cover knockout" she's still reasonably attractive.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Screws up big time in the third book, by sending her parents an email to let them know she's okay, allowing Mrs Bethany to track down the Black Cross cell where she is staying and resulting in several hunters getting killed and Balthazar being tortured. When she realises, it results in a My God, What Have I Done? moment.
- Naïve Newcomer: At the start of the series. This is partly due to being raised in a small town and sheltered by her parents all her life.
- One True Love: Lucas is heavily implied to be her's.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Subverted, as it turns out part way through the first book that she's half vampire.
- Pajama-Clad Heroine: From the end of Hourglass onwards, due to the fact she dies and then comes back as a wraith in her pajamas, though according to Word of God she can wear different clothes if she takes on a corporeal form.
- Redhead in Green: Wears a green satin dress during the Autumn Ball in Stargazer.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Her friendship with Raquel can come across as this.
- Secret Relationship: With Lucas in Stargazer.
- Shrinking Violet: Bianca is this for most of Evernight, but she begins to grow out of it, which is lampshaded by Mrs Bethany:"No longer the shrinking violet, I see?"
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Lucas.
- Took a Level in Badass: Becomes far more tough, independent and more of an Action Girl over the course of the series.
- True Blue Femininity: Wears a midnight-blue gown during her first Autumn Ball. The whole part about blue being a symbol of peace and serenity is later subverted, as she gets the dress covered in blood after biting Lucas in the neck. In Hourglass, she also frequently wears a blue sundress, as she doesn't have many other clothes.
- Walking Spoiler: Many of her character traits spoil the plot of virtually the whole series, but especially the Plot Twist in the first book that she's half vampire.
- Woman in White: During a seemingly prophetic dream, she's wearing a white ballgown.
Lucas RossBianca's primary Love Interest. A rebellious student she meets at Evernight, who is hiding a Dark Secret.
- Betty and Veronica: A gender-flipped version: he is the Veronica to Balthazar's Betty for Bianca.
- Blessed with Suck: After becoming a vampire. He gets better.
- Color-Coded Eyes: His eyes are repeatedly stated to be dark, intense, "forest" green. They reflect his short-temper and wit, as well as his duplicitous and secretive status, both as The Mole in the first book, and then in his role as Secret Keeper to Bianca. He's also sometimes associated with life [[spoiler: especially considering he is brought back from the dead twice.
- Defecting for Love: Whilst he was never technically evil, he comes to realise that Black Cross are wrong about all vampires being evil and eventually ditches them after falling in love with Bianca.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Described as having dark-blonde, gold-brown or bronze coloured hair.
- First Love: Bianca is his, with Lucas stating he has never told another girl that he loves her.
- Guile Hero: He and Bianca spend a lot of time lying their way out of trouble, which Bianca lampshades.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: One of his main flaws is his short temper.
- Heroes Want Redheads: His girlfriend Bianca is a redhead.
- Hot-Blooded: A central personality trait of his.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Occasionally comes across as a Jerkass, but is actually a nice person.
- Knight In Sour Armor: A downplayed example; he's not as world-weary as some but headed this way before he meets Bianca. He can be pretty snarky and at times cynical, but still fights to protect people and sticks up for those who can't stand up for themselves.
- Like Brother and Sister: Thinks of Dana as a sister.
- The Mole: Turns out to be this for Black Cross.
- One True Love: Bianca is heavily implied to be his.
- Platonic Life-Partners: Seems to be this with Skye.
- Rebellious Spirit: One of his defining traits.
- Romantic Vampire Boy: Becomes this to Bianca in Afterlife.
- Secret Keeper: Becomes one for Bianca in regards to her being half-vampire.
- Secret Relationship: With Bianca in Stargazer.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Bianca.
- Two First Names
- Tyke Bomb: Raised from childhood to hunt vampires.
- Vampire Hunter: Revealed to be this at the end of the first book.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Eventually becomes this with Balthazar.
- Walking Spoiler: Not nearly as bad as Bianca, but a fair few of his traits spoil the endings of the first book and the third.
Balthazar MoreBiancas close friend and Lucas's rival for Bianca's affections. He's four centuries old vampire who looks nineteen and the main protagonist of the spin-off, Balthazar.
- Badass Teacher: When posing as a teacher in Balthazar. He was already a badass.
- Betty and Veronica: A gender-flipped version: he is the Betty to Lucas's Veronica for Bianca.
- Body Guard Crush: A mutual one with Skye in the fifth book.
- Break Out Character: Arguably so. He is technically a major character, but usually takes a backseat to Bianca and Lucas, especially after the second book. However, he seems to be the most popular character in the series and even got his own Spin-Off.
- Byronic Hero: A downplayed example. He's a lot nicer than most examples, though the general traits are still there. He fits the trope more closely in the flashback scenes to his past seen in Balthazar.
- Chick Magnet: Bianca lampshades that "every straight girl and gay guy in school" has noticed him. At one point, he's literally running away from an Abhorrent Admirer.
- Cool Teacher: When he poses as a teacher, he quickly wins the students over (especially the girls...).
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hoo, boy. His parents were murdered by vampires, who in turn tortured him and turned him into a vampire, he was forced to choose between his love interest and his sister as which would become a vampire; picking the latter proved to be a terrible mistake a she was left forever mentally unstable and the girl he loved was murdered before his eyes. He spent a hundred years or so with Redgrave's tribe, only tolerating their decadence and callous murder of humans for his sister's sake; when he eventually left, he was forced to go alone. He can never stay in any place for too long and human friends he has made have been known to reject him if they find out the truth, and he is forever haunted by the loved ones he has lost and by his failure to protect his sister.
- Defector from Decadence: Became this in the 1700's, choosing to leave Redgrave's tribe when he couldn't stomach their lifestyle any longer.
- Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire: He is usually a Nice Guy...though if you push him enough, he's not afraid of using violence to settle a conflict.
- Heartbroken Badass: For most of the series.
- Heroes Want Redheads: His first love interest had red hair. His second love, Bianca is also a redhead (and is even said to look like his first love). His third love Skye is described as having 'auburn' hair (which is closer to reddish-brown, but still).
- The Lost Lenore: Jane, his First Love from when he was still human in the 17th century. Balthazar reveals why.
- Loving a Shadow: This seems to be part of the reason he and Bianca didn't work out, as he is implied on a number of occasions to idealize her to an extent. He also first noticed her because of her resemblance to his FirstLove, Jane.
- Romantic Runner-Up: To Lucas for Bianca.
- Romantic Vampire Boy: Especially for Skye and to a lesser extent, Bianca.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Jane, due to her being Catholic whilst he was a Puritan (it ended very badly) and later with Skye ( it works out pretty well).
- Sympathetic Murderer
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Dark-haired, devastatingly good-looking and almost 6ft tall.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Eventually becomes this with Lucas.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Has this attitude for most of the series, at one point stating that, if he could, he'd "go back and die with [his] parents". This is somewhat justified in that his immortal life has been pretty rough, though he's getting better by the end of the series.
Skye TierneyA human girl who attends Evernight Academy and becomes friends with Lucas and Bianca. She becomes Balthazar's Love Interest and is one of the main characters in the spin-off.
- Action Survivor: Especially in Balthazar.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Skye has loved ponies and horses ever since she was kid and still loves them now, being very affectionate towards her horse. She actually makes a point of bringing her horse with her when she and Balthazar have to leave town at the end of Balthazar, stating "The vampires might have taken her home away from her, but she'd be damned if they'd get her horse too.".
- All of the Other Reindeer: After returning to her old high school, she is generally ostracised and mocked by her classmates, who see her as a snob who thinks she's too good for them.
- Big Brother Worship: Seems to have this towards her brother Dakota.
- Body Guard Crush: Has a mutual one with Balthazar in the fifth book.
- Broken Bird: Having her brother die suddenly, her parents ignore her, her boyfriend dump her for another girl and getting stuck with psychic powers she can't control hasn't helped her well-being much, though she handles it reasonably well.
- Cool Horse: Her horse, Eb (short for 'Ebony Wind'), who is very loyal to her even in the face of peril.
- Determinator: In the climax of Balthazar, she throws herself from a moving vehicle despite being weak from blood loss, runs through snowy woods in the dark and then swims across a freezing river in just her underwear to get away from Redgrave's tribe.
- Fiery Redhead: Technically, she's described as having dark, auburn-brown hair, but it's close enough, and she can be pretty fiery when she wants to.
- Haunted Heroine: Literally and figuratively.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Clementine.
- I See Dead People: Following the events of Afterlife, she gains psychic abilities that allow her to see the deaths of people whenever she enters the place where they died; these are usually violent, sudden or tragic deaths. She can also literally feel how they felt in their last moments, which isn't fun.
- Meaningful Name: Possibly. Her name is Skye, and her eyes are described as being light blue.
- Near-Death Experience: Almost freezes to death towards the end of Balthazar.
- Nice Girl: Is very caring and empathetic towards others.
- The Not-Love Interest: To Lucas in Afterlife. Although she is very supportive of him, they become increasingly close and she even attends the Autumn Ball with him, she ultimately just thinks of him as a friend and vice versa (she possibly even views him as something of a surrogate for her deceased brother).
- Pajama-Clad Heroine: At the end of Afterlife, she's running around helping to save the day in her jim-jams.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Lucas, whom she describes as "the best guy friend she ever had".
- Remember the New Guy?: The first time she's mentioned in the series is Afterlife, and yet Bianca recgonises her and mentions that Raquel shared a class with her a few years back and was pally with her. In fairness, there are a lot of students that Bianca and Raquel are probably familiar with but don't mention every single one, though it does stand out a bit due to it clearly indicating Skye is going to be an important character in this book.
- She's Got Legs: Balthazar repeatedly mentions her "slim" and "shapely" legs...
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Balthazar to an extent.
- Willing Channeler: For Bianca in the fourth book.
Charlotte BethanyThe headmistress of Evernight Academy. Cold and sinister, Bianca is never quite sure if she can be trusted or what she's up to.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Tall, black-haired, often described as cold, rarely smiles (unless it's a smug smile or Psychotic Smirk) and is intimidating and aloof. She's even implied to have Icy Blue Eyes.
- Badass Teacher: She's one of the best fighters in the series and gets involved in several fights.
- Beauty Is Bad: Said to be beautiful, but rather amoral.
- Big Bad: Becomes this by the end of the series, having been responsible for most of the conflict in the plot.
- Blood Knight: Implied to be this, with Bianca stating that one of the few times she's actually seen her happy is when she's kicking someone's ass.
- Dark Action Girl: She has centuries of experience in combat and can outmatch even the most skilled vampire hunters with little effort.
- Dean Bitterman / Sadist Teacher: She has a tendency to be condescending towards her students, plays favourites, 'debates' students by tearing apart their opinions and making them look stupid, picks on specific students she dislikes and humiliates them in front of the class. She's revealed to be an Evil Teacher by the end.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette / Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: She's said to be quite attractive with pale skin and black hair, but very severe looking.
- Even Evil Has Standards
- FaceHeel Turn
- Lady of War: She's an elegant and composed Dark Action Girl.
- Love Makes You Evil
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Or rather, woman of wealth and taste.
- The Mourning After: She never got over the death of her husband Christopher, and trying to avenge his death and be reunited with him in the afterlife are her main goals. Tellingly, she still keeps a photograph of him in her bedroom and still refers to herself as Mrs Bethany nearly three centuries after his death.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- Vengeful Widow: Is revealed to be this in the last book.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
Charity MoreBalthazar More's severely mentally unbalanced sister, who became a vampire at the age of fourteen. She has a love-hate relationship with Balthazar and by extension, becomes obsessed with Bianca due to Balthazar's affections for her.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Even before she became a vampire, she was mentioned as being a bit strange. She had a short attention-span, was very rebellious and seemed to off in a world of her own. After becoming a vampire, she's clearly insane.
- Ax-Crazy: Oh, yes. Her hobbies include murdering people, her extremely unhealthy, love-hate obsession with her brother (which extends to stalking her brother's unrequited love interest and her love interest, too), chucking people into dried out diving pools for the 'lols' and decapitating people with knives. Even other vampires are terrified of her because of utterly batshit insane she is.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Possibly. Redgrave's abuse of her certainly didn't help her already-damaged psyche any.
- Break the Cutie: In her backstory.
- Cain and Abel: Zig-zagged with Balthazar. On one hand, she seems to want to kill her brother and doesn't intervene if he's in danger. On the other, she's obsessed with getting him back. It seems to depend on how she feels. Ultimately averted, as she chooses to save Balthazar and strongly implies she still loves him in spite of their troubled history. Iit's revealed that in the 1600's, Balthazar was the one who turned her, though he thought he was saving her.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Repeatedly backstabs Balthazar, backstabs Mrs Bethany and eventually backstabs Redgrave.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Bianca makes the mistake of believing her to sweet and fragile based on her angelic appearance.
- HeelFace Turn: At the end of Balthazar.
- Psychopathic Woman Child: A variation. As a vampire, she's physically fourteen forever, but is actually hundreds of years old. Some of her behaviour, such as throwing tantrums when she can't get her own way, certainly fit this trope.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Her family was tortured and murdered in front of her, it's implied she was tortured too, she was turned into a vampire by her own brother (who picked her over turning his love interest), which severely traumatised her and spent at least three centuries hanging out with vampires who think torture and murder is fun. It's heavily implied that Redgrave brainwashed and coerced her into a sexual relationship with him. It's not really all that surprising she turned out the way she did.
John RedgraveThe Big Bad of Balthazar. He's an ancient and exceptionally powerful vampire who wreaks havoc wherever he goes and the one who made Balthazar what he is.
- Above Good and Evil: Implied. He tells Skye that in the world of vampires, good and even can become "rather relative".
- Card-Carrying Villain: He barely disguises the fact he's evil and loves every minute of it (though he has hints of viewing himself as Above Good and Evil).
- The Charmer / Manipulative Bastard: He can be very charismatic and persuasive and likes nothing better than messing with people.
- The Corrupter: Tends to bring out the worst in his followers and considers corrupting and twisting Charity into his "most devoted protege" an act of "endless bliss".
- Faux Affably Evil: He can really turn on the charm when he wants to, but the moment things don't go his way the mask starts slipping. By the end of the novel, he's not even bothering to pretend anymore.
- It Amused Me: His main motivation for most of the evil acts he does. He considers massacring an entire family a mere "night's entertainment".
- Kick the Dog: Killing Jane, for no reason than to simply cause Balthazar pain.
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Implied to be one, often dressing in expensive, swanky clothes.
- Mind Control: One of the few vampires who can do this, though he uses it sparingly.
- More Than Mind Control: One of his preferred brainwashing techniques.
- The Older Immortal: At over 2000, he's the oldest character to appear in the series, though he certainly doesn't look it.
- Killed Off for Real / Pay Evil unto Evil: Gets caught off guard by Charity and decapitated.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: He's described as having a mix of accents, likely due to the fact he's lived for so long and moved around a lot.
ConstantiaA seductive but dangerous vampire; The Dragon to Redgrave and Balthazar's ex lover.
- Beauty Is Bad: She's compared to a goddess in appearance, but is definitely evil.
- Dark Action Girl: Was a warrior in her human life and can still kick some ass now.
- The Dragon: To Redgrave. It turns out she's planning on betraying him.
- Drink Order: Red wine. Balthazar mentions she used to prefer absinthe as her go-to drink, but she claims its not as good since they stopped putting hallucinogens in.
- Femme Fatale: Has shades of this.
- Hidden Depths: She's a cruel, sadistic, self-centred hedonist...who is still suffering from the pain of being turned into a vampire against her will and likely abused by Redgrave.
- The Starscream: Turns out to be this to Redgrave (combined with Best Served Cold), though she never actually gets to kill Redgrave herself, as Charity beats her to it.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's literally described as "statuesque" at one point and compared in appearance to a goddess. For context, she's described as being slightly taller than Balthazar, who's already around 6 ft tall.
ChristopherA mysterious wraith who haunts Bianca.
- An Ice Person: As per most wraiths.
- Anti-Villain: He actually turns out to be a (mostly) Nice Guy and a Pragmatic Hero.
- Deader Than Dead / Killed Off for Real: In Afterlife.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Betrayed and murdered by his own friends/business partners, no less.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the climax of the fourth book.
- The Leader: Seems to be a de facto one to the wraiths. At the very least, they respect him and follow his orders. He's also one of the most powerful of their kind.
- The Lost Lenore: Is revealed to be this to Mrs Bethany.
- The Obi-Wan: To Bianca, in Afterlife.
Raquel VargasOne of Bianca's best friends and her roommate. She's even more of a misfit than Bianca and despises Evernight.
- Abusive Parents / Parental Neglect: Her parents don't seem to care about her much. They never listen to her, even about serious issues such having 'nightmares' about being raped by a ghost, force her to go to Evernight even though she hates it, compare her unfavourably to her sister and don't really understand her. Notably, after Erich starts stalking and harassing Raquel, she tells Bianca she's not going to bother telling her parents, because they'd probably dismiss it, or worse, suggest she should feel flattered. On the other hand, they send her baked goods, though it doesn't exactly make up for being distant and unsupportive.
- Action Survivor: As of the third book.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Mostly this, though she warms up more to Bianca and especially Dana.
- Ambiguously Brown: Possibly. Her skin colour is never really described, but she is said to have dark hair, and her first and last names, and her sister Frida's name, are Spanish/Portuguese in origin, which could suggest she may be Latino.
- Boyish Short Hair: In the first book, her hair looks as though "she'd haphazardly taken a razor to it". She later gets a pixie cut done by a professional.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her parents aren't the best (see Abusive Parents / Parental Neglect) and since childhood she's been terrorised by a malevolent wraith who gives her nightmares about being raped by him.
- Deadpan Snarker: Easily one of the snarkiest characters in the series.
- Emo Teen: Reminiscent of this, though she's got good reasons to be complaining.
- Haunted Heroine: Figuratively and literally as it turns out.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Her friendship with Bianca is reminiscent of this (especially seeing as Raquel is actually attracted to girls).
- Scholarship Student: It's implied she comes from a working-class background and she states the only reason she got into Evernight was on a scholarship. She clearly feels out of place amongst the wealthy students and often gets mocked for it.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Mostly towards Bianca and Dana.
- True Art Is Angsty: Or that's what she seems to believe anyway.
- The Un-Favourite: It's hinted her parents prefer her older sister, Frida.
- When She Smiles
Ranulf WhiteA vampire who resembles a seventeen year old. He is very old and has a bit of difficulty understanding modern technology, but is a loyal friend to Bianca. He becomes close friends with Vic after rooming with him.
- An Ax To Grind: He turns out to be very skilled with an axe, wielding one with ease in the climax of Hourglass.
- Beware the Nice Ones/Beware the Quiet Ones: Charity's tribe found out the hard way.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Downplayed. He's not exactly stupid, just very out-of-touch with the modern world and tends to think in a very literal manner. But, he turns out to be a freaking Viking warrior.
- Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire: One of the nicest, most gentle characters in the series...unless you mess with his friends.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Vic.
- Loony Friends Improve Your Personality: He becomes a lot less reserved and awkward after becoming friends with Vic, who is pretty 'out there'.
- The Older Immortal: Was made a vampire around 1300 years ago.
- Those Two Guys: With Vic.
Vic WoodsonLucas and Bianca's close friend from Evernight; he befriends Ranulf after they become roommates.
- Badass Normal: From the end of the third book onwards.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ranulf.
- Nice Guy: One of the friendliest and most open-minded characters in the series.
- Spoiled Sweet: He's filthy rich, but is kind and generous, and not stuck-up in the slightest.
- Those Two Guys: With Ranulf.
- Unfazed Everyman: Upon learning that vampires exist, he's pretty chilled about it. He's also not too bothered about growing up in a haunted house.
Patrice DeverauxA popular student at Evernight and Bianca's roommate during her first year. Initially believed to be as shallow and snobbish as the others, there is actually more to Patrice than meets the eyes.
- Beautiful Slave Girl: Was this in her human life.
- Born into Slavery: She escaped after being made a vampire.
- But Not Too Black: Justified in that she specifically states she's of mixed ethnicity. Also deconstructed / Played for Drama, as Patrice was born in the South of America prior to the Civil War and was 'black enough' to be enslaved, but 'white enough' to be considered 'attractive' and groomed for prostitution. Bianca is understandably disgusted and horrified when Patrice recounts this. Luckily, after Patrice became a vampire, she "didn't have to put up with that anymore".
- Drama Queen: Can be this at times.
- The Fashionista: To really drive this point home, when she meets a character who's become a wraith, she makes a point of stating they're lucky they died wearing "cute" pyjamas and not a pair of "ugly" sweatpants they used to favour.
- Girly Bruiser / Lady of War: She's very feminine and elegant, and also skilled enough in combat to hold off several vampires and go toe-to-toe with highly trained Black Cross hunters.
- Hidden Depths: See Lovable Alpha Bitch.
- The Lost Lenore: A young man named Amos whom she knew as a human is heavily implied to be this for her. Not much is known about him, but she states that he died and she attempted to bring him back as a wraith, but it ended very badly...
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She can be shallow, materialistic and insensitive, but is actually genuinely nice to people, even 'uncool' kids, and risks her life to help the protagonists. Her backstory also makes her a lot more sympathetic.
- Rich Bitch: Can be this at times, but is revealed to be a nice person underneath.
- Sex Slave: Was groomed to attend "octoroon balls" and serve as a concubine for wealthy white men...luckily for her, she was changed into a vampire the night before her first ball and then decided being a concubine was a pretty handy way to get blood...
- Silk Hiding Steel: In addition to being revealed as a surprisingly effective fighter, she's very much The Stoic in regards to her painful past.
- Sympathetic Murderer: She states that she used to kill "redneck sheriffs" or plantation owners...who were trying to drag her off to slavery again.
Celia OlivierBianca's mother, who teaches History at Evernight.
- Action Mom: To Bianca.
- Badass Teacher: She fights to protect Evernight from Black Cross.
- Cool Teacher: To her students.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Attractive with "caramel" coloured hair.
- Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire: Is very caring and maternal for a vampire.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She's usually very kind and loving.
- Happily Married: To Adrian.
- Mama Bear: To Bianca.
- My Beloved Smother: A downplayed example towards Bianca.
Adrian OlivierBianca's father; a Biology teacher.
- Action Dad: To Bianca.
- Badass Teacher
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: An interesting example. He wants his daughter to be a normal, sensible teenager who concentrates on her schooling and hangs out with friends he approves of and become a full vampire like they planned. He gets irritable and dismisses his daughter when she expresses concerns about her so-called destiny, especially when Bianca flat-out refuses to become a full vampire. As it turns out, hes got good reasons if Bianca doesnt become a full vampire, shell die (Adrian and Celia were unaware shed come back as a wraith.
- Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire: Most of the time, unless you're threatening his family.
- Happily Married: To Celia.
- The Older Immortal: Mentioned as being nearly 1000 years old.
- Over Protective Dad: Can be one to Bianca, though he eases up eventually.
- Papa Wolf: Sometimes takes it to Over Protective Dad levels, but he will do just about anything to protect Bianca. Notably, whilst he previously had respect and trust for Mrs Bethany, he turns on her the moment Bianca reveals her true colours, largely due to the threat she poses to his daughter.
Kate RossLucas's mother.
- Action Mom: To Lucas.
- Cartwright Curse: Both her husbands are killed.
- Crusading Widow: Implied to be this in the case of her first husband. She's definitely this for her second husband.
- The Leader: Usually of the Levelheaded variety.
- The Lost Lenore: Her first husband was killed by vampires. Her second husband meets the same fate eventually.
- Mama Bear: Towards Lucas. Until he's turned into a vampire. She then devotes herself to trying to kill him.
- Offing the Offspring: Attempts to murder her son after he's turned into a vampire. Twice.
- That Thing Is Not My Child!: Has this reaction towards Lucas when he becomes a vampire.
- Vampire Hunter
DanaLucas's childhood friend and Raquel's Love Interest.
- Action Girl: One of the most prominent in the series (who isn't evil, and was a badass from the start).
- Badass Lesbian: Hinted to be a lesbian in Stargazer, given her Ship Tease with Raquel; confirmed in the next book.
- Braids of Action / Dreadlock Warrior: Described as having "braided" hair, though the exact style is unclear. Either way, she has braided hair and kicks ass.
- Cool Big Sis: To Bianca and Lucas (in particular the latter, whom she refers to as "little brother").
- Straight Gay: Despite her Action Girl status, she does not behave in a stereotypically "butch" manner, nor is she stereotypically feminine.
- Tyke Bomb: Implied to be this.
- Vampire Hunter: Her job.
Courtney BrigantiThe Alpha Bitch of Evernight Academy.
- Abhorrent Admirer: To Balthazar. She's a rare example of this trope who's actually very attractive, but her personality is what puts Balthazar off.
- Alpha Bitch: To a tee.
- Beauty Is Bad: Downplayed; she's not evil, but very bitchy and self-centred, with "starlet" good looks.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Towards Balthazar.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Has long, blonde hair and is very attractive.
- Hidden Depths: It's hinted that she lonely and insecure, and as revealed in Stargazer, she clearly loves and misses her human family.
- It's All About Me: Even when she's supposedly asking for information about a missing classmate, she manages to use it as a chance to tell a dramatic story and get some attention.
- Killed Off for Real: In Stargazer.
- Off with His Head!: Suffers this fate.
- Rich Bitch: One of the snobbiest and most spiteful students at Evernight, which is really saying something.
Maxine O'ConnorThe ghost who haunts Vic's attic.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Not explicitly stated, but given she's a ghost, and ghosts are usually created via homicide...
- Deadpan Snarker: On par with Raquel as one of the snarkiest characters in the series.
- Friendly Ghost: For the most part; primarily to Vic.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Has these.
Madison FindleyA girl who befriends Skye when she returns to her home town, but it's unclear if she actually cares for Skye at all.
- Alpha Bitch: Seems to be one, though it's stated that outside of her friend circle, few other people like her. She comes across as a Lovable Alpha Bitch towards Skye, but it's then subverted.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Evil Redhead: Downplayed; she's not so much evil, as she is very bitchy and spiteful. This is a stark contrast the other prominent redhead in the series: Bianca.
- Hot for Teacher: She makes almost no attempt to hide the fact she finds Balthazar hot.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Skye being in a sexual relationship with her teacher is very unethical (Madison didn't know that Balthazar wasn't a real teacher) and reporting him was arguably the right thing to do in such a situation The bad part about it is that Madison clearly didn't do it because she cares about Skye, but out of jealousy and desire to stir up trouble.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk
- Shut Up, Kirk!: In response to Britnee's "Reason You Suck" Speech, she goes into full-on 'bitch mode':"I don't have to take this from the school whore and the fat pig".
- Slut-Shaming: She repeatedly mocks Britnee for being in a relationship with Craig and calls Skye a slut and a whore for allegedly sleeping with their substitute teacher. She herself has no issue flirting with her teacher and talking about hot guys constantly, though.
JaneA girl Balthazar loved long ago; sadly, their relationship ended in tragedy and Balthazar rarely mentions her now due to the pain it brings.
- First Love: To Balthazar. He was also her's.
- The Lost Lenore: To Balthazar.
- Nice Girl: Seemed to be this.
- Posthumous Character: She's deceased long before the events of the series (having been born in the 1600's). Balthazar reveals why.
- Redhead in Green: Wore green quite a bit. Balthazar often pictures her in green as well.
- Significant Green Eyed Red Head: Well, she's significant to Balthazar's backstory and in a few flashback chapters of Balthazar, and has red hair and green eyes.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Balthazar, due to her being Catholic whilst he's a Puritan. It doesn't end well.
- Stuffed in the Fridge: Gets her neck snapped by Redgrave in front of Balthazar, after he chose to make Charity a vampire over her, which Redgrave does solely to mess with Balthazar.