Characters in Eromanga Sensei. Work in progress.
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
A light novel author, who wrote the recently concluded Silverwolf of Reincarnation.
- Accidental Pervert: In Episode 3, Masamune goes next door to a rumored haunted mansion to investigate a supposed piano-playing ghost which is frightening Sagiri. Through the window he witnesses Elf playing the piano. Naked.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Does this to Sagiri, but she doesn't appreciate it.
- Affectionate Nickname: Tomoe addresses him as "Mune-kun".
- Author Avatar: A writer writing a light novel in the genre of romantic comedy with younger sisters, who is the protagonist in a ... light novel, which is a romantic comedy with younger sisters.
- Big Brother Instinct: Masamune fully took care of his sister, including cooking and trying to save her from loneliness. Further, he directly tells her that he must take care of her, since she is his younger sister.
- BrotherSister Incest: Though not related by blood, Masamune and Sagiri's growing feelings for each other is still an eyebrow-raising issue even in Japan. Masamune still confesses his love for Sagiri in spite of being aware of said social-taboo, but Sagiri rejects his confession, while warmly acceptting his love for her as a big brother.
- Celebrity Paradox: Sword Art Online apparently exists in this universe as a light novel. Yoshitsugu Matsuoka is Kirito's voice actor. He even reprises his role as Kirito for a cameo.
- Determinator: Vows to win the light novel Tenkaichi Budokai and get his Sagiri-dedicated light novel published. He succeeds.
- Disappeared Dad: His biological father was supposedly killed in a car accident and his biological mother died before that too.
- Genre Shift: Goes for a romantic comedy after the conclusion of his action light novel Silverwolf of Reincarnation.
- Hard Head: If the sheer amount of doors slammed into his face and computers repeatedly bashed into his head were not Played for Laughs, poor Masamune would be disfigured at best or outright mentally-disabled from concussion.
- If I Were a Rich Man: Hopes for his Sagiri-dedicated light novel proposal to take off, earning sufficient funds for his household to not only cover necessities, but also a large LCD TV for the living room, accompanied with expensive speakers, and a cake to celebrate with Sagiri, outside of her room, the moment his proposal receives an anime adaptation.
- Love Confession: Delivers one to Sagiri. He gets turned down.
- Market Based Name: The fact that he made his Pen Name by writing his name in katakana is as untranslatable in Chinese as in English. In the official Chinese translations, the translators decided to put an extra radical to the first kanji/hanzi of his name (for "Masa") so as to make it look different but have the same pronunciation.
- Missing Mom: His biological mother died some time before his biological father died in a car accident.
- Mistaken for Gay:
- Megumi assumes him to be someone who loves individuals of his own gender because he hasn't fallen for her.
- Later, Shido thinks the same thing when he sees Sagiri as Eromanga-sensei act jealous over Masamume while thinking Eromanga-sensei is a boy, and thus declines to share the same room with him, and leaves the open air bath immediately after witnessing Chris supposedly make a marriage proposal to Masamune.
- Not Blood Siblings: Sagiri is his younger stepsister and they first met only last year.
- Only in It for the Money: Downplayed. Writing light novels was once a hobby of his, but lately he does it to make ends meet.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Part of the reason for his lower light novel sales is that his writing style is very similar to Muramasa but not as good as such many of Muramasa's fans look down on him as a copycat. Made ironic when it's revealed that Muramasa was influenced by his writing style and not the other way around.
- Pen Name: The same as his real name, except he writes his given name in katakana.
- Rapid-Fire Typing: He is a fast writer, and can supposedly write around 88 novels per yearnote , but the majority of them get turned down.
- Real Men Cook: Makes meals for his little sister.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Much like Kirito, Bell or especially Petelgeuse, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka playing Masamune is capable of suddenly going from baritone to truly-hilarious screaming soprano when the comedic situation requires it.
- Taken for Granite: Parodied; Masamune freezes in place as if he were petrified after Megumi discovers his Pen Name. He quickly snaps out of it after Megumi reminds him of her plan to befriend Sagiri.
Voiced by: Akane Fujita
Masamune's little stepsister, and secretly an illustrator who goes by the series' titular Eromanga-sensei.
- Ambiguously Bi: While she likes Masamune, she's rather too interested in seeing other girls nude and drawing racy artwork of female characters.
- Author Avatar: Represented by the face of Meruru, the main character of Stardust Witch Meruru.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: While normally a quiet girl, she loses it when she refuses to hand over Masamune to Muramasa. In fact, she got so angry that not only was she screaming at Muramasa, but she was outside of her room, and not wearing her mask while yelling.
- Big Brother Attraction: It seems that she is very offended and disappointed when her brother denies having romantic feelings between them and considers her to be his family.
- Blatant Lies:
- Claims that she doesn't know anyone by the name of Eromanga-sensei every time she is addressed as such. This also triples as a Running Gag and Sagiri's Catchphrase.
- After Masamune points out that she really is Eromanga-sensei for drawing an R-18 doujinshi, she claims she only likes drawing lewd art and isn't lewd herself.
- Catchphrase: "I don't know anyone by that name.", which she often says every time she is addressed as Eromanga-sensei.
- Character Tic: Stomps on the floor of her room to grab Masamune's attention.
- Cheerful Child: Masamune notes that she puts on a happier disposition when livestreaming.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Gets upset every time she hears or sees Masamune getting a little too friendly with other girls, such as when Elf moves next door to them, and she notices that they seem to be rather talkative to each other. She is also extremely annoyed when Megumin calls Masamune "brother".
- Dirty Kid: Well... she does have a penchant for lewd illustrations. Something she takes after her mother. Takes it Up to Eleven by illustrating an R-18 doujinshi of SekaImo, Masamune's light novel series which she also provided illustrations for.
- Expy: Essentially a socially-awkward, sweeter and cuter version of Kirino (also a light-novel author), the chief difference being she is not a spiteful, violent ungrateful little bitch.
- Hikikomori: She's holed up in her room after her mother died, so Masamune always has to leave her meals in front of the entrance to her room. This wasn't the first time either, as she also refused to go to school during grade school till talking with Masamune online encouraged her to finish it.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- Announces in a livestream that her illustration for the session won't be very erotic. Cue her illustration of Beniusagi flashing her ass.
- Coming from someone who specializes in lewd illustrations, she calls Masamune a pervert as she slowly closes her room's door.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Highlighting her shyness.
- Insane Troll Logic:
- Argues that Masamune petting her on the head while thinking lewd thoughts is what makes him a light novel protagonist.
- Also argues that her drawing lewd pictures doesn't mean she herself is a lewd person.
- Lame Comeback: Can you imagine anyone else who'd call someone a light novel protagonist as an insult?
- Little Sister Heroine: She's Masamune's cute little stepsister, who is supposed to be his main Love Interest in the future.
- Location Theme Naming: Claims that her Pen Name has nothing to do with erotic manga and is inspired by Erromango, an island in Vanuatu. Curiously, there is also a town in Queensland, Australia named Eromanga.
- Missing Mom: Sagiri's biological mother died at some point before the start of the series, and is the main cause of her returning to her hikikomori state.
- Not Blood Siblings: She is Masamune's younger stepsister and have only known each other for a year.
- Ore Onna: While in her Eromanga-sensei persona, she uses "ore" when referring to herself.
- Pen Name: Eromanga-sensei.
- Prone to Tears: Masamune describes her as being as fragile as spring snow.
- Protagonist Title: She is the titular Eromanga-sensei.
- The Quiet One: Doesn't talk much, but she becomes considerably more talkative when live streaming.
- Reclusive Artist: In-universe; nothing is known about her personal life as Eromanga-sensei.
- Running Gag: Anytime Masamune calls her "Eromanga-sensei", she quietly and unconvincingly says she doesn't know anyone by that name.
- Strong Family Resemblance: A flashback shows her biological mother looks almost identical to her.
- Token Mini-Moe: One of the youngest characters in the cast, at 12 years old.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pale lilac, in this case.
Voiced by: Ibuki Kido
A classmate of Sagiri's and also her class's Class Representative, and a former amateur model.
- Armor-Piercing Response: Proposes that Masamune cancel his household's internet so that Sagiri will get out of her hikikomori state. Masamune won't have any of it, however.
- Awesomeness Withdrawal: In-universe; she feels dissatisfied after she finishes reading light novels with awesome endings, impatiently waiting for sequels to be released. Masamune proposes that she read other interesting light novels to overcome this.
- Brutal Honesty: Describes Masamune's Silverwolf of Reincarnation as iffy, to his annoyance.
- Class Representative: Of Sagiri's class.
- Curtains Match the Window: Light brown hair and eyes.
- Dirty Kid: Subverted; she comes across as this at first with how much she claims to love dicks, but this turns out to be a ruse. Megumi is actually quite innocent and just pretends to be extremely experienced and dirty because she thinks it's "cool".
- Genki Girl: Energetic, open about her feelings, and loves making new friends.
- Insane Troll Logic: Claims that all girls her age, including Sagiri, love dicks, to Masamune's shock. Of course, she also claims she's trolling. This later turns out to be a front, since she's actually very innocent.
- In-Series Nickname: "Megumin".
- Insistent Terminology: Doesn't like to be addressed by the "-chan" honorific, and would prefer either simply her given name or her In-Series Nickname.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: When she first meets Masamune, she's confused that he's not immediately falling head over heels for her like most other guys. He then thinks to himself that Sagiri is prettier, hence why he seems indifferent. At least until Megumi starts mentioning liking certain parts on men...
- Otaku: Proclaims herself as one, but the farce falls as she mentions she's only read (entry-level) manga like One Piece.
- The Tease: Attempts this by flirting with Masamune to try and get Sagiri to come out of her room, and hopefully to go to school.
Elf Yamada Real Name: Emily Granger
Voiced by: Minami Takahashi
A light novel author like Masamune and the author of Dark Elf of Explosive Fire.
- Accidental Misnaming: "Yamashita" and "Yamamoto", by Muramasa.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Her older brother has to personally come to her home and forcibly take her to the publishing house to get her to work.
- Author Appeal: Masamune notes that a lot of her books involve women stripping, and Elf likes to play the piano naked. She says it gives her inspiration.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She only writes when she feels like it. Masamune is confused by that, as he writes every day. But this causes her to get mad, because she claims his work may not be interesting because he's not creatively motivated doing that. Considering she's sold ten times as many books as he has, he can't really refute that.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her interactions with him strongly imply this, as she calls her and Masamune hanging out briefly before visiting their publisher as a date. She even jokingly tells Senju they're living together when asked why she was at his house. He clarifies it though, telling her that just being next door neighbors doesn't count as "living together".
- Cloudcuckoolander: Views her house as a Crystal Castle, and likes to play the piano... stark naked.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Makes a meal for Masamune, which, to his surprise, is very tasty.
- Gorgeous Gaijin: Unsurprisingly, her Japanese name is an alias, as revealed in the OVA by her invitation letter to her millionaire mother in London, she is a British Girl called Emily Granger. She also has seemingly no nudity taboo.
- Hidden Depths: In episode 3, she says she's deduced Eromanga-sensei's habits, lack of a social life, one family member, and general location (the same district she's in), just by reading her blog. Every single thing she says is dead-on accurate.
- It's All About Me: Declares herself to be the number one Oricon author, and the prettiest and best light novel author in history.
- Large Ham: She is so hyperactive and loves the spectacular scenes that she immediately steals almost every scene in which she appears.
- Ojou Ringlets: Her sidelocks curl like this.
- Pen Name: The name "Elf" appears to be this, as it turns out her real full name is Emily Granger.
- Pointy Ears: Appropriately, sports elven ears. Probably fakes, or via plastic surgery, but interestingly her older brother also has them.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Wears a tiny bikini when at the resort and even goes topless when requesting Masamune that he apply sunscreen to her, to his embarrassment.
- Tsundere: Lampshaded by Masamune, who notes that she's the type to act this way to her readers, caring only for sales and compliments and sees them only as servants. Elf, however, insists that she's only setting some distance between herself and the readers as a professional.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: She has a lot of dresses and often changes even during the same episode. Similarly, she owns a lot of swimsuits and wears a Wa-Lolita Yukata more than once.
Voiced by: Yui Ishikawa
A schoolmate of Masamune's, working part-time at Takasago Books.
Muramasa Senju Real Name: Hana Umezono
Voiced by: Saori Onishi
The wildly successful light novel author of Fantasy Demon Blade Legend. She writes to create "the most interesting novel in the world" and therefore doesn't care for anything else about her novels, be it sales, profit or even the title. To her, Masamune's light novels are the most interesting, so she aims to stop him from switching genres to writing love comedies and continue writing her favourite battle novels. She has a crush on Masamune and wrote her short story based on them for the writing competition.
- Awesomeness Withdrawal: In-universe; she experienced this after the conclusion of Masamune's Silverwolf of Reincarnation, musing over what happened to her favorite characters, and how they could've achieved a happy ending. Masamune solves this by pulling an all-nighter to write an afterstory for the series.
- Birds of a Feather: Its been shown that she's very similar to Masamune, she confessed the same way as him, they have the same style of writing and even have the same writing tics.
- Curtains Match the Window: Downplayed; her eyes are a lighter shade of purple as opposed to her dark purple hair.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Masamune's project getting pushed back by his publisher was as a result of Senju purposely taking up their time so as to force him to go back to writing action novels instead of trying to transition to romantic comedy, since she wanted to keep reading his works in that genre.
- Graceful Loser: Loses to Masamune in the Tenkaichi Budokai, and admits that his short story was so interesting, she'd rate it a one million out of 100.
- Heroic BSoD: Suffers this a few times when she is incredibly embarassed. Represented visually by her turning into stone and smoke coming out of her mouth.
- Insistent Terminology: Demands that Masamune address her as "senpai".
- Irony: Is the more successful light novel author compared to Masamune, but it was his writing style that influenced Muramasa.
- Love Confession: Delivers one to Masamune, who turns her down as he states that he has feelings for someone else.
- Pen Name: Like Masamune, her pen name is the same as her real name, except she writes her given name in katakana. As it turns out, her "real" name is also a pen name; her real name is actually Hana Umezono.
- The Rival: Vows not to allow Masamune to win the light novel Tenkaichi Budokai. She would've won... had she stuck to the page limit set by the competition's rules.
- Sempai/Kohai: She's insistent on viewing herself as the senpai to Masamune's kouhai.
- The Southpaw: She's left-handed.
- Token Wholesome: Compared to Covert Pervert Sagiri, Dirty Kid Megumin and Shameless Fanservice Girl Elf, she consistently wears fully-covering kimono, except once when she was suggested to try a Sailor Fuku for Masamune. The other time, Elf left her with nothing but a tiny bikini. In general, she is also easily embarassed when it comes to lewd topics.
- Vapor Wear: Is forced to admit to Masamune and the others that, as is traditional, she wears nothing under her kimono. The embarassment of this has her suffer a Heroic BSoD for a while.
- What the Hell, Hero?: One gets directed at her by Sagiri. Senju basically gives Masamune a Love Confession when she tells him to only write novels exclusively for her, and in return, she'd take care of him and his sister financially. This pisses Sagiri off enough that not only does she scream at Senju that Masamune belongs to her, she's also out of her room, and not wearing her mask either.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dark purple, in this case.
Adults and Other
Voiced by: Mikako Komatsu
An editor for ASCII Media Works, and also Masamune and Muramasa's personal editor.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: When Masamune was sick with a fever, and couldn't work to finish his deadlines, she happily extends it so he can recover.
Chris Yamada Real Name: Chris Granger
Voiced by: Seiichiro Yamashita
An editor for Fulldrive Bunko, Elf's older brother, and her personal editor.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Is oftentimes keeping his sister's more rash, impulsive, and childish desires in check.
- Mistaken for Gay: When he supposedly makes a marriage proposal to Masamune when discussing Elf, as witnessed by Shido. To be fair though, Chris didn't make himself clear at first that he wanted Masamune to consider wedding Elf.
- Pointy Ears: Like Elf, he sports pointy ears.
- Would Hit a Girl: Has no problem thumping his little sister on the head when she labels Masamune, Muramasa, and Shido as her servants.
Voiced by: Nobunaga Shimazaki
A Tenkaichi Budokai participant who ended up in second place.