This is a listing of characters from Embric of Wulfhammer's Castle . It is very much a work in progress. Spoilers are unmarked, proceed with caution
The good natured Duchess is the main character of the story. Betrothed to Embric of Wulfhammer, she has arrived in his castle to marry him, but he is nowhere to be found. Not one to let that get her down, she does her best to make friends, explore the surrounding countryside, and go on adventures.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: The Duchess gets drunk from a few sips. Justified since she never had alcohol before coming to Wulfhammer Castle and their brands tend to be on the stronger side.
- Chick Magnet: She attracts the attention of a Ninja Maid, a thief, an elven mage, a dark elf aristocrat, an Eldritch Abomination, and even the Goddess of Love and Illicit Sex.
- Closet Key: While she is supposed to marry a guy, she mostly finds the attraction of, and is attracted to, other women, any of which can be the Closet Key.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her uncle would kill any friends she made, and routinely molested her.
- Distressed Damsel: Lampshaded repeatedly, in that kidnappings only started happening once she entered the marque. In one path, she turns into a Decoy Damsel.
- Ethical Slut: While she's a nice and supportive person, she also has a lot of people she'll sleep with.
- Everyone Has Standards: The closest she gets to firing Ecanecia is when the latter jokes about getting molested by a horse.
- FaceHeel Turn: The Black Duchess route has her turn adventurer/bandit gang leader. It's also a choice with ZEALOT.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Several of Wulfhammer's people don't trust her because they consider her Greyghast's heir.
- Interspecies Romance: In several different flavors.
- Ms. Fanservice: If she can end up in her lingerie, she will.
- MayflyDecember Romance: With Carmina and the Good Dwarf.
- No Name Given: Her name is Catherine, but it's not mentioned for a long time.
- Princess Classic: More so than the actual princess! Provided you overlook her being sexually active, that is.
- Rape as Drama: Zigzagged in so many ways, for example while Carmina may rape her in a dream, The Duchess doesn't mind as much. Other times it's depicted as decidedly more horrible.
- Really Gets Around: She can have relationships, and sleep, with nearly a dozen people.
- Seer: Despite royalty being forbidden from being magicians.
- Spoiled Sweet: As far as someone can be sweet when their childhood was full of abuse and suffering, The Duchess still manages to be a somewhat pleasant person.
- Stripperiffic: If there is any excuse for the Duchess to end up in her underwear, it will happen.
- The Mole. Yes, really; Word of God is that one valid interpretation of the Betrayal ending is that she was a mole all along.
In The Marquess Of Notoriety
- Cyborg: Part Golem per the Iron Duchess+ ending.
The former monarch, uncle to the Duchess. As his name would imply, he was a horrible tyrant, before being overthrown by the Awesome Fellowship. While killed before the start of the game, we see just how evil he was during flashbacks.
- Abusive Parents: Abusive Uncle in his case, towards The Duchess. Just about anything he'd give her that she'd bond with, he would destroy for the sake of torturing her, or in his eyes, "making her harder".
- Evil Uncle: Is utterly cruel towards his niece, The Duchess.
- Evil Overlord: Commanded vast armies, huge lands and lorded over a terrified populace until he was taken down by the Awesome Fellowship.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Up to Eleven, and it's entirely justified.
- Posthumous Character: Mostly seen or mentioned in flashbacks, since he'd dead by the point the game begins.
The Awesome Fellowship's elven mage, and a very powerful spellcaster. She knows she's better than everyone else, and makes no effort to hide it. After all, they're just puny humans.
- Arranged Marriage: With none other than the Duchess! Actually, Falwythwier is simply serving as a proxy on behalf of Embric Wulfhammer since he's not around for his own wedding. Fal hates that she had to be the proxy, not only because she had to kiss the bride but that she also had to, ahem, consummate the marriage, too.Duchess: Oh sweet gods of romantic comedy.
Louni: Old patriarchial laws, whatcha gonna do, right?
- Can't Argue with Elves: Don't try to argue with her, it's pointless. Don't try to get on her good side either, it's even more pointless.
- Cultural Posturing: As far as she is concerned, Elven Culture did it first and is superior in every regard, end of story.
- Deadpan Snarker: There's barely a line where she doesn't say something mean and/or sarcastic.
- Fantastic Racism: To an appallingly casual degree towards most non-elves and really hates Dark Elves.
- Hello, Nurse!: The sight of her naked once put an eleven-year-old through an instant puberty.
- Jerkass: All the time! If you think she is a Defrosting Ice Queen, you're wrong.
- Interspecies Romance: Attracted to Embric.
- Familiar: A talking sparrow.
- MayflyDecember Romance: Embric again.
- Shock and Awe: Likes lightning magic.
- Villain Shoes: For Duke Thermin's birthday party.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: She and Embric got high on 'shrooms one night, and she got a tattoo in the small of her back that reads "SKANK" in runic. She doesn't remember this, and Louni promised she'd never tell about it.
The dwarf of the Awesome Fellowship. He does dwarfy things, like work metal and drink liquor. His hair changes color quite a bit...
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Deconstructed, dwarves are so identical that the Awesome Fellowship didn't realize when their dwarf was replaced by seven different dwarves with different hair colours.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Everyone calls him "The Good Dwarf".
- Funetik Aksent: Dwarves have a peculiar way of showing their text, which is intentionally difficult to understand. The Duchess earns some of their trust when she learns it.
- Interspecies Romance: The lone female is attracted to the Duchess, and Angus is a "Perveh Elf Fancier" who ends up with Elza.
- Legacy Character: There's seven of them, none of whom are the original Good Dwarf.
- MayflyDecember Romance: "I'll still love you when you're spoiling your grandchildren, and when they're spoiling theirs."
- Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits: They're all a bit odd for dwarves, some more obviously than others.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Well, one of them is.
The resident rogue of the Awesome Fellowship, she now functions as the de-facto sheriff of the marque, rounding up bandits and rescuing their captives. She starts off somewhat cold to the Duchess, but learns to appreciate what she brings to the castle. Secretly, she's playing the Fellowship and Vencathrax against each other, so she can see how his plan was going to end...
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Unlike Fal, she eventually warms up to The Duchess.
- The Chessmaster: Turns out she directs Lord Vecnathrax's actions.
- The Man Behind the Man: The woman behind Lord Vecnathrax.
- Meaningful Name: "Quickfingers" isn't just because she's good with locks. Wink, wink.
- Rescue Romance: Rescues the Duchess several times before falling for her.
- Transparent Closet: It's pretty obvious that she's bi, but she tries to hide it behind a curtain of being hetero.
The heroic leader of the Awesome Fellowship, and bridegroom to the duchess. His absence drives the plot.
- Blood Knight: Loves fighting and weapons over absolutely anything else.
- The Ghost: Outside a few endings, anyway.
- Idiot Hero: What little we do see of him strongly suggests this; he's obsessed with swords and combat and away from the castle almost all the time.
The Duchess' loyal butler. He is always available to dispense information.
- Eyes Always Shut: Yes, always; none of his portraits show his eyes even just slightly open.
- Retired Badass: Used to adventure as a bard.
- Verbal Tic: Mmhm, quite. He finds it endearing when The Duchess also does it.
The Duchess' personal maid in the castle, she's somewhat impulsive and clumsy, but has a good heart.
- Bodyguard Crush: She has the hots for The Duchess, but tries not to make it obvious.
- Cute Bruiser: Adorable and physically powerful.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Being really strong, she often destroys parts of the castle by accident, including an entire turret.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Enslaved by harpies and forced to, among other things, polish mud.
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Said beloved being The Duchess; she almost never says anything about her love towards her mistress and would willingly disregard her own happiness as long as The Duchess is well.
- Ninja Maid: Barbarian Maid, rather; she took levels in Barbarian and despite her looks, she's really strong.
- Visions of Another Self: If the "All Just a Dream" interpretation is true.
As of The Marquess of Notoriety
The castle's scullery maid, ever ready to give baths and do laundry. Is afraid that she's going to be fired for every little thing. She is actually an Eldritch Abomination of some kind, and will one day consume reality itself.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Actually the Apocalypse Given Flesh, but she appears as a young woman with blue hair.
- Apocalypse Maiden: She's an Eldritch Abomination meant to bring about the Apocalypse.
- Catchphrase: "Please don't fire me."
- Eyes Always Shut: For good reason... namely she has Black Eyes of Evil.
- Demonic Possession: Via demonic scotch.
- George Jetson Job Security: Downplayed; she begs to keep her job at multiple points.
- Humanoid Abomination: She's not human but really The Apocalypse.
- Love Redeems: Cares enough about the Duchess to promise not to end any bits of the world she'd miss.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Rather unusual, since most humans have realistic hair colours.
The owner of the Moon Rabbit Cafe on the castle's roof, she gives out potions of Cure Medium Wounds along with kisses. She's actually a lamia who uses the cafe in order to drain people's wisdom, but it's okay, since the status effect is only temporary.
- Anti Anti Christ: Isn't really a lamia, is really an echidna. If she mates, she's destined to spawn a race of monsters who will destroy the world. She's trying to avoid that.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: She's a Friendly Neighborhood Lamia.
- Snake People: She's really a lamia... but not really, she's really an echidna.
A dark elf aristocrat woman being held for ransom in the castle.
- Always Chaotic Evil: She's perfectly fine with the many atrocities Dark Elves have committed.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Besides the Awesome Fellowship, the Duchess was Carmina's only visitor and by far the kindest. It was this kindness that Carmina fell in love with the Duchess for.
- Bittersweet Ending: Her romance arc, if you choose for Carmina to "Be by your side." The Duchess and Carmina escape the castle to Elstwhere. The Duchess and Carmina rule over Elstwhere, and eventually over Wulfhammer's Castle, also, evicting the Awesome Fellowship. Carmina and the Duchess spend the rest of their lives together (or, more accurately, the Duchess' life) until the Duchess passes away from old age, while Carmina still appeared as young and flawless as ever. Suffice to say, Carmina becomes devastated.Duchess: I wonder, in vanity, if there has ever been a human man or woman who has had a dark elf weep loud and open over them as they passed. My love. Forever... Carmina.
- BrotherSister Incest: Or, rather, sister-sister incest, between herself and her dominating elder sister. Though the relationship appears to be a little...one-sided.
- Did Not Think This Through: Is held to ransom by Wulfhammer...only nobody was willing to pay any ransom. Carmina even mentions that the best offer her captors would ever get would be a few gold coins, and only then if the ransom payer felt like torturing her to death themselves.
- Falls into this herself if you pick the "Be by her side" ending. Did she really think escaping to the Underdurt with her human girlfriend would be a good idea? Even knowing that, A: she has a lot of enemies in the Underdurt, B: the best her human girlfriend could hope for is a life of slavery, and, C: said human girlfriend will eventually be squished by golems?
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: She rapes the Duchess in her dreams, and is promptly forgiven for it. She claims it was an accident.
- Downer Ending: Her romance arc, if you choose for the Duchess to "Be by her side." The Duchess and Carmina escape the castle to the Underdurt, where the Duchess had to be passed off as a slave in order to live there. Eventually, the Duchess is squished to death by a couple of golems on the orders of Carmina's jealous sister/ex-lover.
- Evil Laugh: All the dark elves, including Carmina, have a horribly creepy laugh.
- MayflyDecember Romance: And what a tearjerker it is! See the Bittersweet Ending entry above.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Part of her face is always hidden by her hair, which makes her look all the more mysterious.
- Power Perversion Potential: Being able to have sex with someone in a dream applies. So does having sex with someone while you're invisible, which is what Carmina does with the Duchess in the "Be by your side" ending of her romance arc.
- Talking in Your Dreams: She contacts The Duchess in her dreams, originally with quite horrible intentions, but later for the sake of creating a Great Escape or simply talking.
- Wrong Name Outburst: It's what gets the Duchess killed in the "Be by her side" ending.
A nereid living in the castle, she is first discovered in the bath house. She really, really likes the Duchess, and doesn't grasp human concepts like "consent".
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: The nereid saves The Duchess from freezing to death, but then freezes solid herself. The Duchess then learns a way to save her and thus manages to direct faith and popularity at her (faith equals power), which ultimately works and gives the nereid the power required to free herself.
- Interspecies Romance: She has the hots for The Duchess, a human.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: She's adorable and gropes just about anyone.
- Making a Splash: Being a nereid and living in water, she has some minor control over it.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: She resembles a dolphin in behaviour and with her tail, rather than a fish.
- Stable Time Loop: Of a sort. She saves The Duchess from freezing to death, but then freezes solid herself, so The Duchess tries to find help and is informed she can save her by directing faith at her; since the nereid is already an advanced elemental, with some faith, she could gain the power required to free herself. It works, but takes decades, long after The Duchess is already dead. The Duchess then, back in the present, knows that she can call the nereid from the future and does. This works as well, but the nereid loses her memories and powers from that time.
The young proprietress of the castle's inn, which has gained a reputation for debauchery. She is remarkably bright for her age, and will need help in rehabilitating the inn. One of the two main characters of The Marquess of Notoriety.
- Child Prodigy: She's less than ten years old, but incredibly smart and learns even the most difficult topics quite quickly.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Since she's used to high culture- and scholaric books, she tends to speak in rather complicated ways.
- The Strategist: Once she's grown up.
Grettel's older sister, who unfortunately does not share her intelligence. Becomes the embodiment of Huraine, Goddess of chocolate, strawberries, and illicit sex.
- Ethical Slut: Not very bright, but friendly and actually quite skilled with sewing. She also sleeps with just about anyone.
- Really Gets Around: Implied, but since she's the avatar of a Goddess of Sex, a lot of jokes are made about her... services. Which, admitedly, isn't really any different compared to before.
The daughter of the new king. The Duchess hates her guts, both because Princess Arugula is an airhead, and because she's an actual princess.
- Childhood Friend: Of both the Duchess and Duke Thermin, thus cannot bring herself to take a side.
- The Ditz: Probably the most airheaded character in the game, but fairly good-natured.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Although everything's mediocre when she's around.
- Princess Classic: Arugula is convinced that she's a fairy tale princess, that her Royal Blood makes her special, and that true love will carry her through anything; and it all works. The Duchess, normally nothing if not accommodating, just can't come to terms with this.
The snotty young duke, who likes being the center of attention and may or may not be evil.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: He's a spoiled kid and may grow up into a tyrant.
The Awesome Fellowship's archnemesis, and an ancient evil who's nothing but a skeleton.
- Affably Evil: Has a friendly conversation with the Duchess on the mountain, then kidnapps her.
- Body Horror: Invents the "Double-Barrelled Summoning Circle". It occasionally summons two demons fused together. The Duchess can suggest an even worse version because that would be even more darkly amusing.
- Dem Bones: A lich and touted as a particularly powerful one.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Vecnathrax's is driven purely by his hatred of living things.
- Villain Decay: He's so old that he's grown too senile to actually be a threat.