Team Avalor (Elena | Esteban) | Civilians | Outsiders | Villains
Character page for Crown Princess Elena Castillo-Flores.
Note: Spoilers for Season 1 are unmarked. You Have Been Warned!
Crown Princess Elena Castillo-Flores
The recently appointed Crown Princess of Avalor. After spending 41 years locked in the Amulet of Avalor and defeating the Evil Sorceress Shuriki, Elena will have to learn how to properly rule her kingdom.
- Action Girl: She defeated an Evil Sorceress and reclaimed her kingdom, and that's just the beginning of her story. However, "The Princess Knight" shows that as much of an accomplished fighter she is, she lacks proper training and discipline and as a result of not level-grinding, was no match for a much better trained duelist such as Gabe.
- Adorkable: Not always the case, but she shows a cuter, more innocent side when it comes to making bad puns, or not completely getting something technical the first time.
- Adult Fear: The fact that she, a teenage girl, saw her parents murdered by Shuriki, and it traumatized her for 44 years.
- Affectionate Nickname:
- Her parents called her "Elenita", which is Spanish for "Little Elena".
- Her childhood friend, Felicia, calls her "Eli".
- All-Loving Hero: If she sees someone doing what they can to do good or make amends, she will do anything to help them. Unless you're the bad guy.
- And I Must Scream: She was trapped in the Amulet of Avalor for over four decades, and was fully conscious and aware of her surroundings the whole time, as shown when Sofia temporarily gets trapped in the Amulet at the end of Sofia the First. On top of that, not only did she not age, but she didn't need to even eat or sleep.
- Arch-Enemy: To Shuriki, and the feeling is entirely mutual, especially since Shuriki murdered her parents, took over Avalor, and subjected the kingdom and its people to 41 years of misery and tyranny. Upon finally being freed from the amulet in "Elena and the Secret of Avalor", Elena tries to kill Shuriki with her own wand, and when she resurfaces in Season 2, she immediately wants to hunt Shuriki down and kill her.
- Berserk Button: Bringing up Esteban's betrayal, which literally throws her surroundings into chaos.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Even an All-Loving Hero like Elena has her limits, namely her parents' murderer Shuriki whom she casts Blaze on with lethal intent in "Song of the Sirenas", and succeeds as well! When it comes to treachery, she's not very forgiving.
- Big Good: As she was the one who was granting Sofia powers for good deeds and cursing her for bad ones, primarily to teach her a lesson as well as possibly summoning the Disney Princesses to give her much needed advice when necessary she counts as this for much of Sofia the First at least during her time inside the amulet.
- Big Sister Instinct: She'll jump to save her sister without a second thought.
- Book Dumb: More of a downplayed example, but while Elena isn't stupid by any means, she's not that academically inclined. Her being castle-schooled comes off more as an Informed Attribute.
- Brainy Brunette: She has brown hair and is very crafty and intelligent.
- Brought Down to Badass: The Scepter of Light is damaged in a fight with Shuriki, so she can't use her magic until it's repaired.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Esteban's Cain, although Esteban is reluctant about it.
- Cast from Hit Points: The Scepter of Light's magic is powered by its user's energy, and overuse of it can seriously hurt the wielder. It's downplayed in Elena's case, because she has both her internal energy and the magic she absorbed from her time in the Amulet of Avalor to rely on, though her use of it to defeat Orizaba caused her to pass out for two days. After falling into the crystal well in Takaina, she and the scepter are fully magical, so she no longer has this weakness.
- Chekhov's Skill: Elena taking up sword lessons from Gabe in "The Princess Knight" becomes helpful later in the shorts, where she fights some thieves using swordsmanship.
- The Chooser of The One: While imprisoned in the Amulet, Elena would determine who would be worthy to wear the Amulet. As she was passed to each user, she tested them by granting gifts and curses based on their deeds. The Chosen One would be the one to free her from the amulet and restore her homeland.
- The Chosen One: As prophesied by Quita Moz, she and her scepter are destined to take part in a greater battle against the Scepter of Night, and it's a battle that will decide the fate of the world.
- Color Coded Emotions: After receiving a magical power-up from the crystal well in "The Magic Within", her signature red dress now turns a different color and activates a magic power based on her current emotions.
- Orange: Anger, magically throws and levitates nearby objects and people, can bring inanimate objects to life who then behave destructively.
- Yellow: Happy, induces happiness in people and makes them want to dance along with her (ex. Isabel involuntarily dancing after a joyful Elena passes by her), brought Flo to life with a giddy personality, and causes light.
- Cyan: Serenity, returns things to normal if her magic had made them act irregularly.
- Blue: Sadness, causes rainstorms and causes others to cry when she cries as well.
- Purple: Anxiety, makes objects spin and roll out of control.
- Pink: Love, has powers relating to plants and calming people down.
- Grey: Self-doubt, causes The Walls Are Closing In if in a room.
- Contortionist: Drops into 180 degree side splits during "The Princess Knight"
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: To Sofia. Sofia was a preteen princess whose mother married into royalty, kept her magical abilities a secret, and started her story as an overwhelmed kid who often looked to parents and mentor figures for guidance before realizing her own strengths. Elena starts her story as an older teenager who's almost over-confident in her ability to rule, as she was born rightful heir to the throne, and quickly forms a team of her own peers as her closest circle. Her powers from the Amulet of Avalor and the Well of Takaina also aren't kept a secret, but she still struggles in figuring them out.
- Cool Big Sis: She and Isa have a great relationship, with Elena putting her promise of going to Isa's invention exposition before a very important diplomatic event.
- While trapped inside the Amulet, she acted as a sort of silent council to the young princesses who've worn it over the years. When she finally meets Sofia face-to-face, Elena greets her like an old friend, speaks in her favor in front of Sofia's parents, and entrusts the Amulet to Sofia after Avalor has been reclaimed (after all, she's seen enough of that Amulet to last a lifetime).
- Create Your Own Villain: Even after getting powers, Esteban really does not want to hurt his family again and keeps trying to escape Avalor rather than fight. Her persistence in tracking him down (and later use of a Blaze spell directed at him) eventually convinces him that he will never have peace until she's stopped.
- Creating Life: One of her new powers after falling into the Well of Crystals. Her emotions at the time will determine how the creature behaves, with happy emotions creating Flo, anger creating the destructive carnival floats, and love calming them down.
- Crystal Prison: She was trapped inside the Amulet of Avalor after Shuriki struck with her a spell that was supposed to kill her. Due to Shuriki's spell on the Amulet, Elena needed a large amount of strong magic to free her, including ancient Maruvian magic and Shuriki's wand. Oh, and she was awake the whole time.
- Crystal Weapon:
- The Amulet of Avalor can technically apply as this, since it "protected" Elena from Shuriki's vadisima spell and it gained powers after Elena was trapped inside it. It's also confirmed in Sofia the First that it was constructed by the Maruvians with a magical crystal from the Mystic Isles.
- The Scepter of Light is upgraded to complete crystal in Season 3.
- Didn't Think This Through: After being freed from the Amulet, Elena attempted to attack Shuriki with her own wand. But since she wasn't a sorceress, she was unable to use the wand properly, and was almost captured after her attempt failed.
- Disney Death: Two so far, both upon encountering Shuriki.
- After Shuriki murders her parents, she tried to murder her as well, but her life was spared by the Amulet of Avalor pulling her right inside.
- During their final battle in Song of the Sirenas, Elena was seemingly killed by the Scepter of Night, but her Scepter of Lights vanish spell worked at exactly the right time and was unharmed.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Elena's moodswings and emotional outbursts in Season 3 could be read as her getting emotionally stressed from protecting Avalor from constant threats as well as learning her surrogate brother was responsible for killing her parents.
- Empowered Badass Normal: She was strong before she was trapped in the Amulet, and after 41 years inside it, she's absorbed part of its power and gained magic of her own. She gets upgraded against after she falls in Takaina's Well of Crystals early in Season 3.
- Evolving Weapon: After being repaired and later upgraded by the magic crystals at the beginning of Season 3, the Scepter of Light is now made of magical crystals.
- Fatal Flaw: Her emotional impulsiveness. Her temper and her Leeroy Jenkins attitude cause trouble, which is especially highlighted in Season 3 when she's given Emotional Powers by the Well of Crystals, forcing her to learn how to control her emotions in order to prevent Power Incontinence.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Not an extreme example, as she can adjust fairly easily after being free from her Amulet for 41 years, but she still finds much has changed since her childhood. She didn't even recognize her cousin when she saw him after all those years. "Flower of Light" has her reunite with her childhood friend Felicia, who is now middle-aged, and she initially thought she died when she saw a picture of her on an altar.
- Flower in Her Hair: Rarely seen without a sprig of flowers in her hair, specifically apricot mallows. The flowers are indigenous to Northern Mexico, one of the major inspirations for Avalor.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Downplayed. Isabel does get herself into more trouble than Elena but not by a big margin. Plus, Elena has made some impulsive decisions herself.
- Friend or Idol Decision: An interesting subversion in "Jewel of Maru". Instead of having to rescue a friend or an item, the dilemma is rescue the falling idol (the titular Jewel of Maru) or catch the bad guys. Elena decides to go for the idol, to seal it away so it's not used for villainous means.
- A Girl and Her X: In this case, a girl and her alpacamundi, Flo. Ever since Flo came to life, she and Elena have been inseparable.
- Girly Girl with a Tomboy Streak: She doesn't show discomfort in wearing dresses, heels, or jewelry and has a maternal side, yet she is determined, competitive, and participates in many sports.
- Has a Type: So far, she's had Ship Tease with Gabe who has a Bodyguard Crush on her and Marzel which seems a bit on the tsundere side of things. Both Gabe and Marzel are dedicated rule followers that try to act as the voice of reason to their headstrong yet kind-hearted princesses, much to their exasperation.
- Head-in-the-Sand Management: Elena strives to avert this as much as possible. In fact, she realizes that sometimes if she wants something done right, she has to do it herself.
- "Hell, Yes!" Moment: When in the crystals in Takaina give her a Significant Wardrobe Shift including a Color Coded Emotions dress and new powers.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: If Elena can't use her scepter, she will resort to using a sword.
- In a Single Bound: She is able to leap the height of a man in "Princess Knight".
- Ink-Suit Actor: Bears more than a passing resemblance to her voice actress.
- Irrational Hatred: Played With in Season 3. Elena's ballistic reaction toward Esteban since finding out he was complicit in Shuriki's plot to take over Avalor was the realistic, human response in such a situation. However, given that Shuriki went back on her word that no harm would come to his family, he regretted it, and proved himself a good man in the present, it sounded less logical for Elena to place the blame entirely on him. And, it would seem more than a little overkill to alienate him in an island for the rest of his life (though she did allow a vote to be held and had second thoughts about it). At the same time, though, knowing that Esteban didn't plan on having her parents killed did nothing to change the fact that his mistake cost them their lives, whether he wanted it or not, and it certainly didn't soften the blow for Elena. As understandable as Elena's sentiment is towards Esteban, even her friends acknowledge that she is letting her past cloud her judgment.
- I See Dead People: Thanks to absorbing the Amulet's magic, she can see ghosts, albeit only on the Day of the Dead.
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": Some dubs like the English pronounce her name as "Ell-leigh-nuh", while other dubs such as the Latin American Spanish dub pronounce it as "Ell-len-nuh".
- The Leader: Being the Crown Princess and all, especially among her small circle of friends consisting of herself, her sister Isabel, Gabe, Mateo, and Naomi.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Let's see:
- Going to confront Shuriki with her wand immediately upon being freed from the amulet, despite not having any experience with magic, which resulted in the Jaquins having to save her.
- Going after the Noblins who stole ships from Avalor and just demand them back, which resulted in getting Zerg Rushed by them and almost getting thrown overboard, Strike Two.
- Going after Orizaba with the Scepter of Light, despite not knowing how to use it properly at the time, which resulted in accidentally helping Orizaba find the artifact she needed to bring about the eternal night, Strike Three.
- Light/Darkness Juxtaposition:
- Being themed with Light Is Good, she faces off against various Dark Is Evil villains.
- Played with in regards to Ash, who wears mainly white with black accents.
- Also interestingly played with in Season 3 in regards to her and Esteban. While she's upgraded to a Rainbow Motif from Takaina, Esteban gains a thunderstorm motif instead (as storms can be associated with darkness).
- Light 'em Up: The Scepter of Light, of course. It can shoot lasers, cast illusions, and reveal things through walls. Quita Moz indicates that it has more powers, all of which are based on controlling light.
- Light Is Good: She wields the Scepter of Light, which can only be used by one with a good heart, against villains.
- Little "No": In Sofia's flashback of Elena's past, Elena lets out a "No..." when she gets trapped in the Amulet.
- Living Legend: Elena has become one from being trapped in the Amulet, returning and defeating Shuriki. Much to Princess Valentina's surprise, Elena certainly lives up to her reputation.
- Love Hurts: The one person that has hurt her the most? Esteban. His actions have led to her parents' deaths and the suffering of her kingdom for decades to come, and his most recent actions are about to endanger their family and kingdom once again. And the fact that he was her brother in all but name just twists the knife in the wound, and she hates that.
- Magic Knight: She's on her way to becoming one, both improving her fencing skills and learning more about the Scepter's powers.
- Married to the Job: A downplayed example. While Elena does make time for her family and friends, she is very focused on her kingdom. She does everything she can to improve it through trade like in "Masks of Magic". Then keeping many traditions alive like the peace festival in "Olaball" to keep her people happy.
- Meaningful Name: "Elena" means "shining light" or "the bright one", befitting her status as the heroine of her story and the holder of the Scepter of Light. This also matches her with her mother, Lucia.
- Mood-Swinger: After falling into the crystal well in "The Magic Within", she gains magical powers tied to her emotions, and as a side effect, she becomes more prone to emotional outbursts, from being more prone to crying, to getting violently angry, to being cheerful. Played for Laughs in the Discovering the Magic Within shorts, where the others are subject to her emotional wrath during mundane activities. Part of Elena's arc in Season 3 is about being able to find a balance in her emotions.
- Nice Girl: She's very kind and open-hearted. Unless you're evil, or worse a traitor.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Had she not gone after Orizaba in the first place in "The Scepter of Light", Orizaba wouldn't have found the Eye of Midnight, because Elena is the one that broke open the pillar with her scepter.
- Oblivious to Love: When she first meets Gabe, she doesn't realize the implications of him giving Friendly Address Privileges to a royal princess and instead takes it as him being a very friendly new guy. Esteban seems to see it, but doesn't care enough to say anything about it.
- Older Than They Look: Despite being 16, shes technically 57 due to not aging inside the amulet.
- Passing the Torch: Elena gives Sofia the Amulet as her parting gift to her after she's liberated. Elena's place is in Avalor, but she knew from day one Sofia was destined for something greater. By giving Sofia the Amulet, she wanted her to carry her legacy.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Mateo. They have a very strong bond, but it's clearly a friendship, not a romance.
- Power Incontinence: After gaining new powers from Takaina, she becomes a Mood-Swinger as a side-effect, which is a problem since her powers are caused by her emotions. Especially becomes a problem when Esteban's secret is exposed, which sends Elena into emotional turmoil and thus worsens her control over her powers, but it gets better once she properly vents out her emotions in "Dreamcatcher" and she's able to weaponize it by "Spirit of a Wizard".
- Pretty Princess Powerhouse: Never afraid to stand at the forefront in the face of danger, and one of very few Disney princesses to actually have a body count, namely Shuriki.
- Promoted to Parent: Due to the absence of their parents, Elena sometimes takes on the duties of parenthood regarding her younger sister Isabel.
- Protagonist Title: She's the eponymous protagonist.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: She can turn these on full-bore when she wants something from someone. Skylar cannot resist them.
- Rainbow Motif: Befitting her Light Is Good motif, she's later upgraded to a Rainbow Motif in Season 3 after she gets her Color Coded Emotions-changing dress from the Well of Crystals. The "Modern Royal Family" short even has her accidentally create a rainbow through her joy magic.
- Raised by Grandparents: Downplayed. Elena's parents were present and attentive to her and Isabel when they were alive and Elena is already an adult. Despite this, she lives with her grandparents with Isabel and often seek their advice.
- Rapunzel Hair: Even with it in a ponytail, Elena's hair reaches to her waist.
- Reality Ensues:
- She defeated an Evil Sorceress and reclaimed her kingdom, and that's just the beginning of her story. However, "The Princess Knight" shows that as much of an accomplished fighter she is, she lacks proper training and discipline and as a result of not level-grinding, was no match for a much better trained duelist such as Gabe.
- She's been traumatized from witnessing Shuriki killing her parents enough to want to recklessly face Shuriki head on and even kill her (which would be an eyebrow-raiser in other stories). When Shuriki returns in Season 2, it triggers Elena's PTSD, causing her to freeze while she flashbacks to her parents' assassination.
- Really 700 Years Old: At the beginning of the show, she is chronologically 57, but she didn't age inside the amulet, so she's still 16. Since time is actually passing in the show, she'd be about in her sixties by now.
- Red Is Heroic: Usually wears a red dress and is the Hot-Blooded heroine.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge:
For as long as I live,
- Part of why she wants to go after Shuriki so badly. See this verse from "The Right Thing to Do", for instance:
I know I'll never forgive her
And no way will I rest
Until the day I deliver
A sliver of justice
For what this corrupt witch has taken from me!
You just wait and see!
- Is uncharacteristically quiet with burning anger when pursuing Ash and Esteban at the end of "Captain Mateo", and refuses to quit her hunt even as she's clearly vulnerable and out in the open. It takes Gabe needing to cool her down to have her halt.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: She maintains a rather close and personal relationship with Naomi.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Unlike her cousin Esteban, Elena prefers to avert Head-in-the-Sand Management and take action herself instead of delegating tasks to others.
- She Who Fights Monsters: In Season 3, after she and Esteban become estranged, she is going down this route as she increasingly becomes real enemies with him, allowing Revenge Before Reason to be in the front wheel of her morale when she's up against him and Ash. In fact, when she sees him again, Elena goes ballistic and doesn't even attempt to capture him anymore and instead actively tries to hurt him. After she's able to sort out her feelings about him in "Dreamcatcher", she thinks more rationally about fighting him.
- Sibling Rivalry: With Esteban, although this is one-sided on his part and he feels like he is The Unfavorite in their family. Devolves into Cain and Abel after his second FaceHeel Turn.
- Significant Wardrobe Shift: After falling in the crystal well and gaining new powers in "The Magic Within", her gold highlights and apricot mallow turn silver and her dress gains these silver accents as well. Additionally, her dress now turns a different color depending on her emotions due to the magic.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Her reaction in Season 3 when it's revealed that Esteban helped Shuriki take over Avalor all those years ago. In "Dreamcatcher", when he desperately begs for a chance to make things right between them, Elena tells him point-blank that there's nothing he can do to fix this and he's no longer her family.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill:
- Averted. In "Elena and the Secret of Avalor", she attempts to kill Shuriki with the vadisima spell, and later wants to hunt her down and kill her when it turns out that she's still alive and up to something in Season 2.
- She's willing to kill Esteban if the situation calls for it, putting him at gunpoint... err... scepterpoint a few times after his FaceHeel Turn.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly-girl to Naomi's tomboy.
- Elena is also the tomboy to Princess Valentina's girly girl.
- Trigger: Seeing Shuriki again causes her to momentarily freeze and flash back to her parents' death. If not for Naomi saving her, she'd have been killed herself. She spends the next few episodes struggling with her PTSD while trying to stop Shuriki.
- Troll: Given the implications that it was Elena who was blessing and cursing people with the amulet, then the events of "Cedric Be Good" in Sofia's show reveals her to have a trollish streak as in the episode she was screwing with Cedric by doubling down on curses every time Cedric slipped back into scheming while also giving him powers whenever he did something even remotely nice when she only ever cursed Sofia for serious offences and only gave her powers for equally major good deeds.
- Vocal Tag Team: Starts a Navidad carol with Gabe before the entire city joins in.
- Unknown Rival: At the end of "Realm of the Jaquins", she is warned of a darkness that she must face otherwise she won't become queen; it seems that darkness is revealed to be Shuriki, who survived and regained her powers, which she doesn't learn about until "Rise of the Sorceress". Then double subverted in that Quita Moz states that Shuriki isn't the ultimate darkness... while we're introduced to Ash, who she doesn't mean until "Naomi Knows Best", and even then, it's still unclear if Ash (or even a person) is Elena's ultimate obstacle.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
Esteban: Elena! I will do anything to make things right between us! [...] Please! Just... just listen!
- Gives such a speech to Esteban in "Finders Leapers" after his blundering results in the Duende breaking free of their imprisonment, especially since Esteban repeatedly blamed Naomi for his own screw-ups, spent virtually every moment criticizing her, and outright said it was a mistake to put her in charge of the expedition:Elena: You haven't been following her, Esteban! You were the one who let the first Duende out, you ignored Naomi at the park, and you set the trap too early. The problem hasn't been Naomi. It's been you.
- She goes down on Esteban hard in "The Magic Within" when she learns of his betrayal.
- Gives another one to Esteban in "Dreamcatcher" about how badly he's hurt her.
Elena: No. It's time for you to listen. What you did to our family, to our kingdom, it makes me feel furious, and hurt, and disappointed, and I miss you, and I'm angry at myself for missing you! [voice cracks] But more than anything, [tears up] I'm just so, so sad... [leaves magically frozen in mid-air drop to the ground]
Esteban: [looks down in shame] I wish I could take back everything...
Elena: I wish you could, too... but you can't!
Esteban: [puts his hand on her shoulder] I am sorry, prima.
Elena: Prima? As far as I'm concerned, you are no longer familia! [calms down]
- Gives such a speech to Esteban in "Finders Leapers" after his blundering results in the Duende breaking free of their imprisonment, especially since Esteban repeatedly blamed Naomi for his own screw-ups, spent virtually every moment criticizing her, and outright said it was a mistake to put her in charge of the expedition:
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Despite being physically 16 years old, being mentally 57 years old may have helped. She may be inexperienced as a ruler, but she's very skilled at guiding others along the right path and giving them advice. Probably because she spent 41 years in an amulet trying to guide other princesses.
- You Called Me "X"; It Must Be Serious: Esteban finally calls her prima (the Spanish name for female cousins, like hermano and hermana for brother and sister) after Elena tells him how badly his actions have hurt her and everyone around him. Elena tells him to never call her that again because as far as she's concerned, he is no longer her family.
- You Killed My Father:
- Shuriki murdered her parents when she took over, which Elena wants revenge and justice for. She succeeds.
- She comes to hate Esteban for his role in her parents' death to the point that she disowns him and is perfectly willing to kill him if necessary.
- You Never Asked: Despite learning that she can see the spirits of the deceased in the first Dia de Los Muertos episode, she only offhandedly brings this up to Abuelo and Isabel in the second and third Dia de Los Muertos episodes respectively.
A magical scepter, forged by the ancient Maruvians and passed down from monarch to monarch in Avalor's royal family.
- Cast from Hit Points: The Scepter of Light's magic is powered by its user's energy, and overuse of it can seriously hurt the wielder. It's downplayed in Elena's case, because she has both her internal energy and the magic she absorbed from her time in the Amulet of Avalor to rely on. However, in defeating Orizaba, Elena exhausted herself to the point where she passed out for two days. The new scepter no longer has this weakness, as it is now it's own power source.
- Crystal Weapon: After Elena fell into the well of Takaina, the scepter became fully crystallized.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: The Scepter of Light can only be used in the hands of good. In the hands of evil, it cannot harm an innocent.
- Infinity +1 Sword: After Elena fell into the well of Takaina, the Scepter has been supercharged that Elena can wield ultra-powerful magic, and can do so liberally since it no longer drains the user, and can also deflect spells. When Elena fights Ash with the new Scepter, the result is a Curb-Stomp Battle.