open/close all folders
- The Alcoholic: Drinks his booze and whiskey throughout the movie.
- Break the Haughty: The hallucinations showing him his parents' Hanukkah card and him finally mourning their deaths.
- Broken Bird: He spends most of his time battling with severe depression and alcoholism to deal with his stress.
- Deadpan Snarker: Is one of his many character traits.
- Defrosting Ice King: Comes off as incredibly cold and nasty towards everyone, but by the end, he learns to let his past go and make amends for how he treated everyone, including Whitey, Eleanore and Jennifer.
- Freudian Excuse: His unpleasant nature comes from the fact that at 12 years old, during Hanukkah, his parents got killed in a car crash on the way to his basketball game that he finally wins. After his parent's deaths, Davey was sent to a series of foster homes until he turned 18 years old and spent the rest of his adulthood in various unsuccessful jail and psychiatric programs to cure his alcoholism and depression over the incident.
- HeelFace Turn: Eventually gives up his criminal ways and starts becoming a genuinely good person.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Davey looks exactly like his voice actor. Right down to the same hairstyle.
- Jerkass: He is a rude, alcoholic jerk who enjoys making others' lives hell.
- Jerkass Has a Point: His "The Reason You Suck" Speech was exceptionally harsh, but he did have a good reason to get angry after Whitey was talking about the night his parents died right in front of him, and after Davey said multiple times not to bring it up.
- He was moments away from getting arrested right in the middle of the awards ceremony, to everyone's understandable delight, but he makes himself be heard about how they didn't treat Whitey any better than he did.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:Davey: I'm out of here. I don't need this sympathy crap.Whitey: Maybe it's time you stop running from your emotions.Davey: I'm not. I'm running from two crybabies who won't shut up about something that isn't any of their business.Eleanore: You know, I read recently in Reader's Digest that people who let themselves cry when they're hurting are often stronger than the people who try to hold all their pain inside.Davey: Did you read anything about a deformed referee who spends 35 years trying to win some STUPID PATCH... so he can pretend people actually like him?!Eleanore: What month was that in?Whitey: Take that back.Davey: Listen, if they have an award for the freakiest looking fraternal twins... who nobody even gives a crap about, you two are definitely winning. But that patch thing ain't ever gonna happen for you... because the truth is, nobody in this town even knows you EXIST!Eleanore: You're an animal!Davey: And you're bald! (tears off her wig)Eleanore: Not again!Whitey: You're not welcome in my house.Davey: Good, your house SUCKS!
♪Everyone in this room has been associated with Whitey either through basketball or the mall or various odd jobs he does around town for free or at most a dollar // And I'm guessing 99% of you have either laughed in Whitey's face or ruthlessly made fun of his feet or voice or sister or shortness when he wasn't looking // But the next time you'd see him he'd still go out of his way to smile and wave at you and ask you about your mother's operation or something like that because he, unlike us actually cares about someone other than himself // The reason I bring this up to you is because I was the worst offender of all...♪
- The climactic song number is this to the rest of the town for not giving Whitey the appreciation he deserves, but especially himself for the above.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: After his "The Reason You Suck" Speech towards Whitey, he eventually leaves and goes back to his criminal lifestyle.
- Toxic Friend Influence: Taught Benjamin to say "biatch" to their opponent when he lost their basketball match.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Even though Whitey continuously sticks his neck up for him, Davey still treats him with nothing but contempt.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: He used to be an easy going kid, but after his parents' death, he becomes the alcoholic asshole he is today.
- Accidental Pervert: Whitey groping his mother while having a prom slow dance with her. Not that his mother seemed to mind.
- Amusing Injuries: Continuously suffers these events from Davey.
- Break the Cutie: When Davey gives him an incredibly hurtful "The Reason You Suck" Speech along with not earning his All-Star Patch like he wanted.
- Butt-Monkey: Davey makes fun of him, ignores him when his car is stuck during a snowstorm, hits him, and is prone to seizures during his spasms (happy or not).
- Canon Immigrant: From Adam Sandler's third album and Little Nicky.
- Catchphrase: "Technical foul" note
- Cloudcuckoolander: Is a bit of an oddball.
- Despair Event Horizon: He later goes into a deep state of severe depression once he never gets to win his award he thought he deserved.
- Dogged Nice Guy: The nicest person in the film who ends up taking the most abuse from nearly everyone in town until the very end.
- Extreme Doormat: Lets Davey abuse him throughout the film.
- Gonk: He's a short chubby old man with mismatched sized feet that makes him hobble instead of walk in a steady gait, as well as having unusual amounts of body hair.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: He heavily prefers euphemisms instead of profanity.
- Half-Identical Twins: Whitey and his twin sister Eleanor are fraternal twins; each strikingly resembling his/her parent.
- Imaginary Friend: Often, he mentions having an imaginary wife.
- Incest Subtext: During a flashback, Whitey slow dances with his mother (as no one else wanted to dance with him at the prom) and during the dance, he accidentally gropes her bottom (given that he's way smaller than her). Despite this accidental groping, his mother seemed surprised but kept smiling and laughing nonetheless.
- Innocently Insensitive: Talks about Davey's past to Eleanore, which Davey clearly didn't like remembering. He also tries to consult the the second grader whom Davey insulted, though unfortunately, it only makes the kid feel worse.Whitey: "He was just kidding, son. You've got very nice boobs."
- Iron Butt Monkey: Whitey undergoes a series of injuries like being trampled, falling from a tree, and being near frozen to death throughout the film while being no worse for wear afterwards.
- Keet: Is very optimistic and energetic, even during his ending seizure.
- Nice Guy: Is very friendly and supportive of everyone around him.
- Sarcasm-Blind: Does not understand any of Davey's sarcasms.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Family photos show that Whitey very much resembles his father and Eleanor resembles their mother.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: He finally earns his "All-Star" patch which he clearly deserved and everyone (including Davey) apologizes to him for their abuse towards him.
- Beware the Nice Ones: When she confronts the guy who stole her Liz Taylor wig when she was a kid.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Eleanor models three of these colored wigs at one point while getting ready for the party.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Is even more abnormal than Whitey.
- Half-Identical Twins: Eleanor and her twin brother Whitey are fraternal twins; each strikingly resembling his/her parent.
- Sarcasm-Blind: Like Whitey, she can't decipher Davey's sarcasms.Eleanore: You know, I read recently in Reader's Digest that people who let themselves cry when they're hurting are often stronger than the people who try to hold all their pain inside.Davey: Did you read anything about a deformed referee who spends 35 years trying to win some stupid patch, so he can pretend people actually like him?Eleanore: Which month was that in?
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Is the target of slapstick along with Whitey.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Family photos show that Eleanor very much resembles her mother and Whitey resembles their father.
- Voiced by: Jackie Titone
- Broken Bird: Implied by Whitey, since Jennifer had just came back to her hometown to raise her son by herself in a mall bakery after a messy divorce from a husband of 12 years who left her for a woman he met on the Internet. Not to mention her falling out with Davey whom she clearly cares for but is repulsed by his obnoxious behavior for most of the film.
- Nice Girl: Is a kind woman towards her son and everyone around her.
- Only Sane Woman: Is the most normal out of the cast, along with her son.
- Strong Family Resemblance: In one of the flashbacks during Dave's basketball winning game, Jennifer bares a striking resemblance to her mother who looks very identical to her own adult self in 20 years.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Davey. After Davey's incident, she stays away from him and no longer enjoys his company.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Calls out Davey during his outburst towards Whitey. She even calls out her son for using the word "biatch" to his opponent (though it was under Davey's influence).
- Voiced by: Austin Stout