open/close all folders
"Growing up in this house will give you more than a few eccentricities."Haron and Ernol's sister, and Lonre and Sochak's middle child; an unsettling young woman who takes after her mother.
"Not to worry. We havent quite enough hubris to think we can slaughter the whole of Ghaalia from our stone nest."
- The Unblinking: Alenca notes he didnt seem to blink at all for the entire duration of their conversation.
Commander of The Bastion, and Vadeyn's cousin through both parents; a firm but kind woman, and the favorite of her grandfather.
"So. Im waiting. Eagerly. Sell me your life."
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Despite the bizarre nature of their relationship, it's obvious Lonre really does love his wife a great deal, and she him.
- Black Sheep: He had a great distaste for the Ghaalian tradition and refused to play by its rules. It has ended with him being a target of mockery in his younger days, leading to being publicly disowned by the time he reached adulthood, but in spite of all that he still prospered.
- Collector of the Strange: A comment is made at Lonre's party about his collection of dead specimens.
- Manipulative Bastard: Even worse then Duliae, one gets the sense of being a fly spun into a spiders web while trying to reason with him.
- The Un Favourite: His parents want nothing do to do with him, and neither does most of Gha'alia.
Sochak MiliroseLonre's unseen wife who's the subject of many a wild rumor; a harpy with a taste for humanoids, which has led many to call her a cannibal.
- Femme Fatalons: If you go shopping with Ernol, Kadia will pointedly comment about having to frequently repair strange rips in Lonre's clothes, implying this.
- The Ghost: Unseen; and for good reason, if the comments about her eating humans are anything to go by.
- Girl in the Tower: In the most technical sense she's this, being Lonre's love who's locked up in a tower; but she's only up there because she has a bad habit of eating the human guests when left unsupervised, and if she had any serious complaints about being up there, Lonre would happily let her out.
- Harping on About Harpies: She's a harpy, although what this entails is unclear, Harpy being a title used for a variety of unrelated creatures in this universe.
- Mystical White Hair: Her daughter Arvon is said to be the spitting image of her- or rather, of a painting of her made to make her look more typically 'elfen', which would imply they share the same unusual shade of hair, which in Sochak's case is mysterious and 'mystical' indeed.
- Boomerang Bigot: Shows a clear distaste for humans in her interactions with Alenca despite being half human herself, although it's hinted she doesn't want to get attached in case Alenca dies, which considering one of her parents is human, she probably has some experience with.
- Did Not Get The Guy: Has feelings for Duliae that go unrequited, which is only blatantly apparent to her if you go for Duliae yourself.
- Half-Breed Discrimination: Became friends with Ernol and Duliae as a result of all three being 'misfits' in Gha'alian society, with Skylar being an outcast as a result of having human blood.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half human and half elf, although she clearly identifies much more strongly with her elf side.
The protagonist's aunt, a grumpy, hardy old woman residing in Edric.