- Voiced by Hsuan-Ming Mu (CH), Rina Sato (JP)
A normal high school girl, who suddenly finds herself turned into a guardian protecting the mortal and spirit realms from mutual destruction.
- Battlecry: In the Japanese dub, she cries out "Kono Kono Kono!" when she does her Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs moves. The frequency of her shouts increases as her punches pick up speed.
- Diving Kick: Fond of this, as it's a staple in her heavy attacks.
- Hero Antagonist: To Nemea. She had no intention of becoming a guardian, she was simply roped into it.
- Idiot Hair: Gets a blue one when she enters her supernatural state. When powered up with D. Armament, she gets two each in yellow and green.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Supernatural empowerment aside, most of her fighting experience comes from television and movies.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Was just meeting up with Yuxia to hang out after school, until the both of them are plunged into the dark world.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Her first reaction to the revealing D. Armament outfit is met with embarrassment to the point she exclaims she will never get married these clothes because it makes her look like an exhibitionist.
- Tights Under Shorts: Most of her outfits and their recolors reflect this about her wardrobe, even her work uniforms.
- Token Human: Out of all the employees working in KumaMart, she is the only one that's not a Kulunian.
- Voiced by Amber Guo (CH), Yuina Yamada (JP)
Yumo's best friend, who she tries her best to keep from getting roped up in the madness and dangers in Youshanding.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Was just meeting up with Yumo to hang out after school, until the both of them are plunged into the dark world.
- Muggle Best Friend: She's a close friend to Yumo, but our main character has the truth about Kulunians hidden away from her. However, it gets averted by the time she finds about Yumo's secret, when it turns out she possesses the same ability to interact with the supernatural like Yumo.
- The Team Normal: Is about the only one in the entire group that has no remarkable powers to speak of, borrowed or innate. Until the climax, at least.
- Animal Motifs: They all have a resemblance to mundane animals, in their fashion choices in humanoid forms, or their "cursed" forms.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The state that Yumo finds Bahet and Le Viada in when she first meets them. Luckily, she can easily beat them back into their senses, which is especially helpful when Nemea brainwashes them both again, and even does the same to Leo.
- Spirit World: Their realm of origin.
- Voiced by Jui-Chin Wang (CH), Arisa Shida (JP)
The head guardian spirit of all of Ximending, taking a mostly a supervisory and support role by providing advice, information, and useful items—at a price.
- Animal Motifs: Bears. Her vessel in the mortal realm is as a statue of one.
- Attack Drone: When Yumo does a special attack with Boss active as a guardian, she summons 4 bear-shaped drones to aid her in the heat of combat.
- Gadgeteer Genius: She creates and sells the numerous consumable items Yumo can use in combat, the D. Arms mode for her necklace, and quite a lot more useful creations like automated turrets.
- Mission Control: Serves as this for the team. She communicates with everyone through a hologram.
- Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: Views the supernatural in a scientific manner, due to her previous job as a researcher.
- Version-Exclusive Content: Available as a summonable guardian in the PC version.
- Voiced by Poko Ko (CH), Ryota Takeuchi (JP)
A stone lion Guardian assigned to protect Ximending, while simultaneously working as an employee in KumaMart. He is a man with a great heart and prides himself in helping those in need. His weapon is a Pile Bunker with the name "Pile Bunker: Howling Lion".
- Animal Motifs: Unsurprisingly, lions. Aside from his form when Yumo is borrowing his power, he has a lion-shaped tie clip in his human form.
- A God I Am Not: Despite coming from a race that was worshipped as gods in the past, Leo does not see himself as one.
- Anti-Armor: He specializes in breaking through enemy super armor with powerful blows. Fittingly, his weapon was inspired by tools made for boring and penetrating hard surfaces and objects like rocks.
- Energy Ball: Leo can throw one in his extra summon attack, but it counts as Awesome, but Impractical because Yumo has to be far away from her enemies for it to hit.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Fighter. He is the most physically imposing of the three guardians, his attacks focus on all-out offense and breaking through enemy armour, and they are all almost entirely at close-range.
- Ground Pound: Emerges in the air and creates a shockwave by slamming his pile bunker on the ground after Yumo does her Heavy Attack 3note or an aerial summon.
- Pile Bunker: His weapon of choice.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Sweets. He constantly has an almost-completely chewed up lollipop in his mouth in both human and cursed form, and one of Yumo's one-on-one conversations with him reveals he's embarrassed to eat alone at cafes and sweet shops, for his thuggish and intimidating appearance.
- Yakuza: Mistaken for one, much to his dismay.
- In the Chinese version, he is mildly irritated when others make fun of him by calling him a "thug", because of his gruff appearance.
- Voiced by Shao-Lun Lu A.K.A. "Mr. XY" (CH), Masahiro Yamanaka (JP)
A flying fox Kulunian wandering in the human realm. He becomes a fellow colleague to Yumo and Leo after they help rid him of his corruption. His weapons are a scythe named "Echo Scythe: Screaming Fox" and an electric guitar. Due to his interests in human music, especially with Rock & Roll, he developed a fighting style that incorporates deafening music produced by his instrument.
- Animal Motifs: Bats most of the time. Sometimes fox based themes are applied to him due to being a flying fox.
- Bat Out of Hell: His cursed form is a giant bat.
- Blood Sucking Bats: Averted. Bahet corrects Boss for calling him a "young vampire", and states that he is a vegetarian.
- Boomerang Come Back: He can throw his scythe like one or make it orbit around him to do a Herd-Hitting Attack before it comes back to him.
- Damage Over Time: His attacks inflict a status effect that deals periodic slashes and hinders super armor regeneration on its target.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Thief. He has some of the fastest and widest-reaching attacks of the three guardians, and all have a chance to pull in enemies for Yumo to dispatch much more easily.
- Herd-Hitting Attack: One of his main advantages is the wide reach of his move-set, which also conveniently pulls scattered enemies together for Yumo to beat up all at once.
- Literal-Minded: Is taken aback when he reads things like "Kappamaki," unaware it's referring to cucumbers than the actual mythological creatures.
- Musical Assassin: He also utilizes an electric guitar to blast enemies with rock-and-roll so loud the soundwaves cause physical damage. His final upgrade has Yumo joining him for a deadly jam session.
- Sinister Scythe: His main weapon.
- Sleepyhead: As a nocturnal animal adapting a human lifestyle, he finds it hard to stay awake during the day. Sometimes, Yumo has to wake him up when she summons him. By the end of the game, he managed to overcome this obstacle.
- Spectacular Spinning: A lot of his movesets involves spinning himself or his scythe around.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Fruits. Papaya Milk in particular will wake him up instantly.
- Voiced by Angel Lin (CH), Atsumi Tanezaki (JP)
An extremely popular and prolific movie star and model, who is secretly a Kunlunian with an interest in humans' lives. She takes some time off her busy, star-studded career to help Yumo maintain the balance and peace between the mortal and spirit realms, with the help of her water powers and a massive arsenal of firearms.
- Animal Motifs: Fish and aquatic life. Both her cursed form and her original form resemble a goldfish; her real appearance is like a giant, prawn-like sea dragon; and in her humanoid form, she has accessories shaped like fish skeletons.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Her attacks bypass super armor, dealing direct damage to enemy health.
- Battle in the Rain: Her first boss fight takes place in heavy rain, as the majority of Youshanding is flooded to the roofs under her influence.
- BFG: Her anti-tank rifle. It's nearly as long as Yumo is tall.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Mage. She is notably the only guardian with almost entirely ranged attacks, and focuses largely on using her excessive amounts of firepower to dispatch foes, especially those that move too quickly and erratically for close-range attacks.
- Gag Boobs: She is astoundingly, impossibly busty.
- Gratuitous English: Presumably due to being involved in foreign productions as well as local, she uses a lot of English words. When using her combination attack with Yumo, she also gets into it.
- Guns Akimbo: She uses dual pistols for the majority of her attacks, given the situational nature or sheer impracticality of her other firearms like sniper rifles.
- Kick Chick: When using melee attacks. Her arms and hands are solely reserved for her guns.
- Land Mine Goes "Click!": She can deploy geyser mines in her human form and rage beast form. These mines can either be triggered by proximity, or detonate by themselves when expired, leaving behind pillars of water sprouts. They are best used against enemies with high mobility, pinning the foe down as they recklessly walk into the mines or geyser. Yumo has access to the same geyser mines as Vadia's special attack, setting 8 mines at one in a 3X3 formation with our heroine positioned at the bottom middle.
- Long-Range Fighter: Notable among the three guardians for her emphasis on ranged attacks.
- Making a Splash: Her elemental theme. Her mines explode into geysers that juggle enemies, for example.
- Ms. Fanservice: As befitting a model and movie-star, almost all of her outfits emphasize her... generous curves and proportions.
- Sideboob: Her default outfit has her showing this.
- Walking Armoury: She serves as the Long-Range Fighter in the team because of her large arsenal of weapons. In fact, the game's official website labeled her weapon of choice as "Too many to be recorded", which she proves in her combinational special attack by summoning countless guns that rain bullets from the sky after Yumo blasts the area below her with an explosive anti-tank round.
- Voiced by Giiny Shen (CH), Keito Mizukiri (JP)
A mysterious Kunlunian, who takes on the form of a little girl with lion-like traits, much like Leo. Though largely appearing and acting her apparent age, she is much more dangerous than she appears, especially once it's revealed that she is supposed to be maintaining the seal between the dimensions, and is now acting to destroy it.
- Animal Motifs: Like Leo. She explicitly took inspiration from him.
- Artificial Kunlunian: She was created by the Kunlunians to act as a living computer, maintaining the separation between the worlds.
- Big Bad: Of the game, though not aware of it.
- Blue and Orange Morality: As she's not entirely human, Kunlunian, or Chaos Beast, it's hard to explain to her why exactly her plan to merge the realms together would be catastrophic.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Responsible for putting the three guardians into this state.
- Cloudcuckoolander: As you might expect from someone who looks and acts like a little kid, she is very easily distracted, and likes watching TV.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After Yumo defeats her for the final time, she joins the rest of the Guardians at the convenience store, and lives the life she wanted in Ximending.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: She just wants to be a normal little girl enjoying Ximending like everyone else.
- Sympathy for the Devil: In-universe and out of it, it's hard not to feel sorry for her situation.
- Trademark Favourite Food: French Fries.
- Tyke Bomb: She was created explicitly to help maintain the separation of the worlds, but after gaining sentience and a desire for freedom, is now working to do merge them together and cause untold chaos.
- Version-Exclusive Content: Available as a summonable companion in console versions of the game.
- Villain Protagonist: The entire plot happens because of her desire to visit and make friends in Ximending like the rest of the cast.
Creatures born of Chaos, they are mindless, violent beasts who crave nothing more than senseless destruction of anything and everything. The Kunlunian Guardians task themselves with controlling their endless numbers, and keeping both spirit and mortal planes safe.
- Action Bomb: Omega type Spherical Chaos Beasts blow themselves up with a short delay when they detect Yumo through touch. Their explosions harm both friend and foe, so it's encouraged in Boss's Chaos Beast Report to take advantage of their Friendly Fire properties.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: There are three tiers of Chaos Beasts, differentiated by their colours and changes to the base model.
- Pink/Orange - Alpha type Chaos Beasts. Have no special abilities to speak off, and very simple, predictable attack patterns.
- Blue - Beta type Chaos Beasts. Generally have ranged attacks, faster and more damaging attacks, and more health. Their super armour also regenerates.
- Green - Omega type Chaos Beasts. Have even more of the above, and unless you use especially powerful attacks that completely destroys their super armour, it regenerates almost instantly.
- Horde of Alien Locusts: They have little signs of intelligence, and mostly just exist to destroy and kill.