Petra is the Dovahkiin of this story. A Nord born in Cyrodiil, she was raised on a farm in the north with her parents when strange events lead her to Skyrim. The events at Helgen and the Western Watchtower leave her deeply traumatized and extremely fearful of Dragons. She heads to Riften and joins the Thieves Guild at the behest of Brynjolf, who discovers who she really is.
- Action Girl: As long as it's not dragons, she's a fighter.
- Angst Coma: Goes into one after Brynjolf is possessed and tries to kill her, alongside the fact she had found the bodies of her parents to boot.
- Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence: Becomes Sotrahkun.
- Berserk Button: Taps into a Unstoppable Rage if she sees Brynjolf hurt.
- The Chosen One: Dovahkiin of the ages. She doesn't want the role, but comes to accept it.
- Cry into Chest: With Brynjolf any time she just bursts into tears.
- Happily Failed Suicide: Played with. Petra didn't want to die in the first place but it would have been best for the world if she did (It Makes Sense in Context) she goes along with it due to the Arc Words. Brynjolf saves her and forces her to promise not to do it again. She was slightly unhappy that it failed and had still thought about it but sticks to the promise.
- Hates Being Touched: Petra will not allow anyone to touch her, unless your name is Brynjolf or Ayisha.
- Hates Everyone Equally: Petra of course at the start. She mellows out a bit over the course of the story.
- Heroic Willpower: Petra hates being the Dragonborn yet constantly gathers the strength to defeat dragons eventually, even if it requires pressing her Berserk Button (see above). even so, she gets better with each encounter.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Becomes a bit of a Running Gag. It's any wonder she's still alive.
- Official Couple: After confessing their love to one another, Brynjolf and Petra become this in Chapter 40.
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: Brynjolf is worried with the large scar underneath her left breast will trigger Petra into recalling the time was stabbed there from Mercer.
- Shipper on Deck: For Delvin and Vex anyway.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Brynjolf.
- Stress Vomit: Due to her phobia.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Petra is like this whenever Brynjolf is in trouble.
Tropes that appear in Chronophobia
After the Cosmic Retcon. Petra's personality is given a bit of a shift as well as how events unfolded once more that she's a much different person, although there are many tropes that remain the same, hinting something else is on the horizon for the Dragonborn.
- Amnesia Missed a Spot: In a way, this was supposed to happen. While Brynjolf's memories of the this timeline was slowly fading into his mind, Petra's is the opposite. Her memories are slowly returning to her current self, but she's getting confused by it all and is having a hard time understanding it all.
- The Champion: Fulfills her destiny as Dragonborn without much hassle and is suggested to follow the games mains storyline to the end. Although things change rapidly afterwards into the Dawnguard storyline.
- Took a Level in Badass: Not that Petra couldn't be badass when she tried, this time she manages to actually join the Companions and defeat Alduin the normal way without any sign of her previous phobia.
Second-in-Command to Mercer in the Thieves Guild. A nord man who is dedicated to his job and does what he can to support the Guild during it's darkest days. He finds a girl in a tattered dress and despite her stubborn nature invites her to the Thieves Guild after she manages to do the job without a hitch. He eventually finds out she's dragonborn and doesn't want to be. She comes around to his help eventually, and in time falls in love with her.
- Child by Rape: Implied by Prolg that Mercer raped Nemetona, Brynjolf's mother and Bryn was the result.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To Petra.
- Chronophobia hints this as Petra for him. He breaks down over how much she's changed, but he still loves her.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Shares this with Petra.
- Intoxication Ensues: Has one too many drinks with Nelacar in Chapter 36.
- Number Two:
- To Mercer. Then to Karliah.
- In Chronophobia, He's more like a Number Three but a number two when it comes to non-Nightingale stuff.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: The only one (besides Prolg) that remembers the old timeline. Petra is slowly remembering as well, but Brynjolf is the most well-adjusted.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Brynjolf is Petrasexual.
A Khajiit Priestess found with a Cult of Slaughter caravan that takes a liking to Petra and Brynjolf, calling them mama and papa, respectively.A skilled mage, she wears the Ring of Khajiiti.Her older self appears when she traveled with the Nerevarine back to Skyrim from Akavir.
- The Chosen One: Mane of the Khajiit.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Thieves Guild armor is this.
- Broken Pedestal: To Brynjolf. It get's worse when it's discovered Mercer is Bryn's actual father.
- Jerkass: This doesn't even begin to cover it.
- Deal with the Devil: Strikes a bargain with Molag Bal and becomes a Vampire Lord.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Petra discovers he's Bryn's actual father, not Prolg.
Tropes that appear in ChronophobiaMercer is still part of the Thieves Guild alongside Gallus and Karliah and much better without Prolg's influence.
- Did They or Didn't They?: Highly implied he'd slept with Vex in the aftermath of the party in Chapter 78.
- Shipper on Deck: For Brynjolf and Petra.
- It May Help You on Your Quest: Gives Petra the Ring of Verity via Torvan. It has a lot of uses.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: In New World Saga, it turns out he remembers the events of the old timeline and threatens to reveal them to Petra, until the woman with the white hair intervenes.
A huge female dragon. Described as:Out of the energies, summoning a white light out of nothing, forming a huge creature...as it stood on top of the tower in all it's glory. It was once blinding, then took the form of the dragon I had seen in the Laaglein...the one with the soft face, the glistening diamond wings, feathered main, the four curled horns like a crown, the sapphire eyes, the tail split in four and it's size seven times larger than the average dragon. It spread it's wings and shouted fire into the air.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Different as different from the standard dragons you see in the games. She's the only female dragon and has a far more important role to time itself than anyone else. Case in point, time dies and she dies also. And vice versa. Result? CESSATION OF EXISTENCE.
- Dual Wielding: If her moniker didn't spoil it for you
- Happily Adopted: Daughter of a Dunmer and an Altmer couple, respectively.
[WMG: Dex]]A young girl with unusual summoning abilities. Brynjolf finds her in Paradiso looking for someone.
- It May Help You on Your Quest: Gives Brynjolf a broken amulet for some reason. Turns out to be the Amulet of Kings.