open/close all folders
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Liz and Lucy.
- Badass Family
- The Chosen Many: Liz and Lucy are not the only Pennykettles out there.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: They're all dragon royalty descendants. Technicalities. What can ya do?
- Express Delivery: It doesn't take long to bake up your very own human/dragon hybrid.
- Family Business: The making of clay dragons that come to life.
- Secret Legacy
- Aloof Big Brother: Takes on this persona towards Lucy.
- Annoying Younger Siblings: Lucy to David.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Despite seeing the dragons alive in the first book, he's back to doubting their existence in the second. Thankfully, he grows out of it.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence
- Author Avatar
- Battle Couple: With Zanna
- Break the Cutie
- Distressed Dude
- The Ditz: Mildly, but those pajamas should certainly get him some recognition in this trope. However, he's grown out of it by the time of The Fire Eternal.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Whenever he thinks Tam is getting too familiar with Zanna.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Lucy
- Momma's Boy
- Ordinary College Student: For awhile...
- Reality Warper: Although he gets some help from several dragon companions along the way.
- Real Men Cook
- Sharing a Body: It's getting a bit crowded...
- Took a Level in Badass: Indeed he did.
- Tranquil Fury
- The Three Faces of Adam: As The Lord from The Fire Eternal onward.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Around Liz, usually.
- Wrong Girl First: Oh, Sophie. How brief your chapters together were.
Lucy Pennykettle/PennyA young girl with an abundance of attitude, Lucy is Elizabeth Pennykettle's daughter and serves as an Annoying Younger Sibling for David to viciously defend. She loves dragons and harbors a wildlife fetish that essentially fuels the plot of The Fire Within. She is stubborn and strong-willed in the face of danger, often dragging David with her into such situations. Lucy has a reputation as a chatterbox with a vivid imagination. In later books, she is angsty and defiant, refusing to believe that David is dead. Her own dragon is Gwendolen, who aids Lucy in her escapades.
- Alice Allusion: Sort of. When David reads her an alternate universe version of Alice in Wonderland, Penny imagines up an image of a dragon child as Alice.
- Ascended Fangirl: Totally. Give her a chance to talk about any topic related to dragons (or squirrels) and she'll harp on for hours.
- Badass Adorable: Although she progresses into Bratty Half-Pint territory later on.
- Berserk Button: Harming animals or her beloved clay dragons will set her off like crazy. Suggesting, at any point in the series, that David is actually dead will earn you a one-way trip to the ER. Her crush on Tam can also make her explode if someone (Zanna) patronizes her on the topic. Also, Zanna herself isn't one of Lucy's favorite people in The Fire Eternal.
- Big Brother Worship
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Bratty Teenage Daughter
- Break the Cutie
- The Cassandra: She finally gets her Cassandra Truth when it turns out that David isn't dead, just as she believed all along.
- Cheerful Child
- Clingy Jealous Girl: When Zanna takes interest in Tam.
- Cool Big Sis: to Joseph Henry.
- Dark Action Girl: Or, y'know, just plain awesome.
- Action Girl: Once the Shadow is taken out, she reverts back to Lucy while still retaining her knowledge on how to kick butt.
- Disappeared Dad: Although it turns out that her father is actually a dragon. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Emo Teen
- Fiery Redhead
- Happily Married: To Tam! (Finally...)
- The Hecate Sisters: The maiden to Liz's mother and Gwilanna's crone.
- Heroic BSoD: She was abducted by an evil witch and lived on mushrooms in the Arctic for a few months. When she was eleven. What's one to expect?
- Honor Before Reason
- Little Miss Badass
- Loving a Shadow: Her crush on Tam can be seen as this, considering that she ended up with said crush through email correspondence with him.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: When Liz starts to explain all about Arthur, the first conclusion is that he is Lucy's father. Wrong. Liz quickens an egg, it hatches, Arthur comes home and she's nursing a newborn. His conclusion? She cheated.
- Parent with New Paramour: Lucy takes to Arthur with a Type 3 rating.
- Plucky Girl
- Ship Tease: Her and Tam. Constantly. Ties into All Love Is Unrequited.
- Show Some Leg: She tries this on Tam, but Zanna calls her out on it: "Why are you wearing a skirt?"
- Smitten Teenage Girl
- Teens Are Monsters: Definitely - and compared with how sweet she was as a little girl, it's almost heart-breaking.
- Undying Loyalty: To David.
Liz (Elizabeth) Pennykettle/Eliza MerrimanElizabeth Pennykettle is the mother of Lucy Pennykettle, and David Rain's landlady. Liz is a potter, specializing in the creation of clay dragons that come to life. She is the resident Team Mom of the series and if anyone has a problem, you can bet she'll be the one to help them solve it. A Proper Lady, she holds the Morality Chain of many a character and is most probably the kindest person in the Last Dragon Chronicles.
- Almighty Mom: People are impaled in this series, but no one will ever disobey Liz. Think about it.
- Deadpan Snarker: "Quelle surprise."
- Doting Parent: When she and Lucy are on good terms. She's also this to David.
- The Hecate Sisters: The mother to Lucy's maiden and Gwilanna's crone.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Right to the core.
- Killed Off for Real
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover
- Mama Bear
- Mandatory Motherhood: It's revealed in Fire Star that she didn't plan on having children. But she did, and she's the best at her job.
- Morality Chain: To pretty much every character in the series.
- Only Sane Man
- Parents Know Their Children: Both of them.
- Parental Substitute: For David. Later, it turns out that she actually is his mother in an parallel universe. She even acts as a mother to Zanna at times.
- Proper Lady
- The Reliable One
- Spot of Tea: Pennykettle
- Team Mom: Heck yeah!
- Truly Single Parent
- Women Are Wiser
Zanna (Suzanna) Martindale/RosannaZanna Martindale is introduced as a Perky Goth and quickly becomes The Hero's love interest.
- Action Girlfriend: to David.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Sophie's Betty.
- Cool Big Sis: Although they rarely get along, she comes through as this for Lucy in times of trouble.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Deadpan Snarker
- Girl in the Tower: As Rosa
- Good Is Not Nice
- Heroic Sacrifice: Rosa gives her life to ensure Ix!Zanna returns to normal Zanna. Well, if normal is a word that can be used to describe Zanna... Doubles as a Tear Jerker.
- Jerkass: At times.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The dark to Liz's light, or the dark to Sophie's light.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: To David.
- Parental Abandonment: As Rosa in Fire World, her parents dump her at the librarium.
- Perky Goth: Though she has reformed into more Hipster territory by the time The Fire Eternal kicks off.
- Badass Bookworm
- New Old Flame: With Liz.
- Real Men Love Jesus
- The Three Faces of Adam: As the Prophet.
- Babies Make Everything Better
- Goo Goo Godlike: She dreamed up her own parents.
- Kid with the Leash: One could make the point that she's the mastermind behind it all...
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Being an angel in disguise does help.
- The Charmer: Tries this on Zanna to get info on David's death for an article he's writing. He almost gets away with it.
- Chick Magnet
- The Dragon: To Lucy, when infected by the Shadow. Of course, his main allegiance is to Voss. However, this doesn't stop him from doing everything Lucy tells him to do.
- Happily Married: To Lucy. No, you are not just seeing this because you want to. It actually happens.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: With regards, from Zanna.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Pretty Boy
- The Three Faces of Adam: Fits the Hunter type, most notably in Fire World.
- Took a Level in Badass
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: From what we know from the legend, this seems to stand. Pretty much confirmed as of her appearance in The Fire Ascending.
- Parental Abandonment
- Came Back Strong: In The Fire Ascending after he absorbs Galen's tear. And again, when he 'dies' and becomes Alexa. Yes. Alexa.
- Determinator: He will save Grella. God help anyone who gets in his way.
- The Faceless: Until The Fire Ascending
- Took a Level in Badass: First by absorbing Galen's tear. Then by becoming Alexa.
- The Quest: Essentially, how his story begins: a pilgrimage to see a dragon leads to a quest to save a girl.
- Unskilled, but Strong: He's got Fain and dragon helping him out, but he's still a twelve year-old. Sometimes...
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Horribly Averted. After being horribly and continuously abused by Griss and Stygg, she doesn't get better.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Girl Next Door
- I Will Find You: She and Yolen spend years searching for Agawin after the battle on Kasgerden.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Mama Bear: For Gwilanna. Yeah. That one.
DragonsTitular of the series, dragons come in two forms: the 'true' dragons, and the animated sculptures made in their likeness. In the parallel universe of Fireworld they are the firebirds.
'True' DragonsExtinct for roughly 50000 years, these are the gigantic, magical lizards of old.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When attempting to fight Gwilanna, he tries to make his human host grow wings. It doesn't end well. It ends with a lot of bloody, gory muscles on show.
- Spirit Advisor: Although he doesn't talk much. Agawin usually just describes his wants or feelings to the reader.
Dragons of Wayward Crescent
- Alpha Bitch
- Big Bad: She runs the show. Until the Ix show up.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Sometimes, that woman is just desperate to foil one of the good guys.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
- Evil vs. Evil: Gwilanna Versus Ix. Ix:1 Gwilanna:0
- Freudian Excuse: Her mother was a Jerkass. Her father was evil.
- The Hecate Sisters: The crone to Lucy's maiden and Liz's mother.
- Set Wrong What Once Went Relatively OK
- Ship Tease: With Henry, surprisingly.
- Always Chaotic Evil
- Greater-Scope Villain: They trump Gwilanna hands down.
- Hive Mind
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast
Stygg & Griss
- Ax-Crazy: Stygg. He kills lots of families, just to replenish Grella's sewing supplies. He gets worse after ingesting dilute Ix.
- Blood Lust: Stygg, after becoming infected by diluted Ix in Gwilanna's blood.
- Jerkass: After all they did to Grella? You can't read those descriptions and not feel sick for the poor girl.
- Licking the Blade: Stygg does this after he cuts Gwilanna. This doesn't end well for him...
- Too Dumb to Live: Stygg.