- Loads and Loads of Characters: Even Melanie Rawn had trouble remembering them all.
- Mind Rape: By Ianthe.
- Moral Event Horizon: In-Universe, he sees his as raping Ianthe (even if the event was consensual).
High Princess Sioned
- Fiery Redhead
- The High Queen
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: She eventually becomes the High Princess, after all.
- To Be Lawful or Good: Struggles with her conflicting duties as a Sunrunner and a princess. She eventually chooses to ignore her Sunrunner vows and simply be a princess.
Rohan son. Inherits both Princemarch and the Desert.
- Heroic Bastard: He turned out pretty well, all things considered.
See Other Royalty.
Rohan's sister and Lord Chaynal's spouse.
A Horse Master and Tobin's husband.
The head of all Sunrunners and Rohan's aunt. She marries Rohan to Sioned to try to give her family a magical advantage over the other princes and kickstarts a movement to give birth to princes with magic rather than keeping magic and royal lines separate.
- Heroic RRoD: Dies after overextending her power to try to prove Masul's parentage.
- Iron Lady
- Manipulative Bitch: At her worst she falls into this.
- Screw Destiny: Her initial destiny was to be married to Roelstra. She fought tooth and nail against it and was able to fight fate at the cost of making Roelstra her enemy.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She intended to give her family an advantage over Roelstra's, but ended up causing a war and selective breeding practices among royalty for Sunrunner children.
One of Tobin and Chay's sons and a powerful Sunrunner. He inherits Andrade's position when she dies.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: After Sorin is killed by a Sorcerer.
- Fantastic Racism: Leads a genocide against the Sorcerers, thinking they're too dangerous to be left alive.
- Love Makes You Crazy: After his Second Love is killed he begins to suffer severe Sanity Slippage.
- Playing with Fire: Like other Sunrunners, often summons fire.
- Sanity Slippage: Throughout the second series, he devolves further and further as the continent is attacked.
- Unrequited Love Is Forever: Never truly gets over Alasen.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He wants peace for the continent and to work together with his family, but him and Pol both have pride issues that don't allow them to work together.
High Prince Roelstra
- Evil Prince: He enjoys power for power's sake, and plays the various princes against each other for his own gain and amusement, among other things.
- Heir Club for Men: Even with all his mistresses, he's been unable to have a male child. Until Masul, possibly.
- The High King: The High Prince until his death.
- Really Gets Around: He's had fourteen children and several mistresses.
- Bed Trick: Gets herself pregnant with Rohan's child by pretending to be Sioned while he's being mind raped.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: When she captures Sioned, she keeps her in a room without light (a Fate Worse than Death for Sunrunners) and gets her guards to rape her. She also mind rapes Rohan into sleeping with her.
- Fairest of Them All: She is obsessed with maintaining her appearance at all times.
- Fifty Gambit Pileup: She makes gambits all around, and usually they work. Until Sioned kills her.
- God Save Us from the Queen!
- I Know You Know I Know: She knows Pandsala will ally with Palila against her after they make a deal to ruin Palila and betrays her schemes to her father.
- Teach Him Anger: Roelstra exiled her for a while and rubbed her failures in her face to teach her hatred and make her more useful.
- The Vamp: She tries to seduce her way out of some problems.
PolSee The Desert.
Roelstra's second daughter. She is exiled from Princemarch after trying to derail Ianthe's plot to ruin Palila and is discovered to have Sunrunner powers. After Roelstra's death, she is made Princess-Regent of Princemarch until Pol is old enough to rule.
- Always Someone Better: She's suffered from being under Ianthe's shadow her whole life, and loses Rohan to Sioned.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Played With. She rules over her people fairly, but dedicated fifteen years of her life to wiping out all her sisters and any other royal family unrelated to the Desert.
- Gone Horribly Right: Rohan makes her Princess-Regent to try to cement her loyalty to his family. It works too well.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Jealous of Ianthe and later of Sioned, though she learns to deal with it later in life.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: One of her few flaws is her anger can easily override her intelligence.
- Out-Gambitted: Outgambitted in her scheme to replace Palila's child with a boy.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Silk Hiding Steel
- Spanner in the Works: Ruins all of Segev's plans simply by suddenly recognizing his resemblance to Ianthe.
- Yandere: For Rohan and Pol, due to his passing resemblance to her making her project her fantasies of being Rohan's wife onto him.
- Modest Royalty: She has none of the power-hunger most of her family possesses.
- Took a Level in Badass: By the second series, after being taught how to use her powers.
Lady of Waes and one of Roelstra's daughters.
- Bastard Bastard: The manipulative daughter of one of Roelstra's mistresses.
- God Save Us from the Queen!
- Lady Macbeth: Generally does quite a bit of the ruling of Waes.
- Insistent Terminology: None of her servants are ever to call Chiana "Princess" for any reason.
Roelstra's fourteenth daughter, and the reason for Palila's death. Roelstra named her after the old word for 'treachery', after finding out about his daughter and mistress's scheme to replace her with a boy baby. She was possibly switched at birth with Masul.
- Bastard Bastard: She's a real bitch.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She is jealous of anyone with power and seeks to take it for herself.
- Lady Macbeth: By Sunrunner's Fire, she is the Lady Macbeth to Halinan of Meadowlord.
- Mind Control: Marron puts her under mind control for the majority of the third book.
- Switched at Birth: Possibly with Masul. He is killed before the matter is resolved.
- Spoiled Brat: In Dragon Prince.
- Ungrateful Bitch: She would have died if Andrade had not taken her in, but she ends up seeing Rohan's family as enemies.
- BrotherSister Incest: Jokingly suggests it to Kiele when he meets her.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Tortures and accidentally kills Kleve, Sunrunner who discovered him with Kiele.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: His goal is to be recognized as the prince he thinks he is at any cost.
- Green-Eyed Monster: A big part of his arrogance is due to this.
- Jerkass: Incredibly arrogant in all ways. Part of his attitude is why Kiele agrees to sponsor him.
- Switched at Birth: Possibly with Chiana. He is killed before the matter is resolved.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Mostly to Roelstra, though some of his traits are similar to Palila's.
Roelstra's wife, and mother of four of his children.
- Defector from Decadence: She was really a pure-blooded Sorceress who used her marriage with Roelstra to escape her controlling peers. Ianthe, Pandsala, and Naydra inherited her powers.
- Posthumous Character: She's long dead by the time of the series.
Prince Miyon of Cunaxa
- Jerkass: He sees himself as superior to everyone and doesn't hesitate to show it.
- Smug Snake
- Zero Percent Approval Gambit: He's deliberately a jerkass to his child, Meiglan, to make Pol feel sympathy for her. It works, but it also makes Meiglan refuse to help him.
One of Miyon's many illegitimate children, she is part of the Cunaxan diplomatic party to the Desert.
- Heroic Bastard: Despite being used as a Honey Trap, Meiglan is a kind but timid girl.
- Honey Trap: Intended to be one for Pol. It succeeds, but she uses him to escape her father rather than to help him.
- Mysterious Waif: Invoked to be used to seduce Pol.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Miyon is deliberately cruel to her to appeal to Pol's sense of honour and pity. It works, though Meiglan really is that timid and shy.
- Red Right Hand: Sorcerers will not get seasick on water, while Sunrunners do.
A sorceress determined to dethrone Lady Andrade and Rohan and become queen of all the kingdoms.
- Big Bad: After Roelstra dies, she takes over this role.
- Determinator: Works magic despite being imprisoned with steel, which shreds a magic user's soul, and being in heavy withdrawal.
- Red Right Hand: Her eyes usually stay the same colour when she shapeshifts.
- Shapeshifting Seducer: Seduces Pol disguised as Meiglan.
- Vain Sorceress: She often uses spells to conceal her true age and appearance.
Ianthe's oldest son, and Roelstra's heir presumptive until his assumed death.
- Bastard Bastard
- The Dragon: To Mireva.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He's trampled to death by the very dragon he tried to control.
- Mind Control: Tries it on a dragon. It almost works, but Pol frees it.
Ianthe's second son.
- Bastard Bastard
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Darker skinned than either of his brothers and, well, a redhead.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: He's bitter over Ruval getting most of Mireva's attention and seeks to usurp him.
- Evil Redhead
- Fiery Redhead: Has a temper.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He's very jealous of Ruval.
- Mind Control: One of his powers.
Ianthe's third son.
- Bastard Bastard
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Hollis is able to kill him because of the power augmentation the Drannath he addicted her to gave her.
- Manipulative Bastard: He does an excellent job as the mole and would have succeeded in all his goals had Pandsala not recognized him at the last second.
- The Mole: Sent to infiltrate the Sunrunners and steal back the Star Scroll on Sorceries.
- Poisonous Friend: To Hollis.
- The Starscream: Intends to usurp Mireva with the knowledge in the Star Scroll. He dies before he can put this plan into action.
- Yandere: For Hollis.