Super High School Level Motivator
- The Alleged Boss: She says that shes in charge of the students, but then along comes Monobear...
- Authority in Name Only: Has been unable to do a single thing since Monobear has arrived, and only really serves to fret and attempt to encourage people.
- Go-Getter Girl: Her general attitude, to the annoyance of some. Her lack of effectiveness in more important areas like protecting them only add to the bitterness.
- The Pollyanna: Positivity is her bread and butter, even when her show is jacked from under her nose and her precious students are endangered.
Super High School Level Maid
- Dark-Skinned Redhead
- Shout-Out: Got a bag of marshmallows referencing DA 4 U s Kamille Ray.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: As expected of the Maid to End All Maids.
Tomoyuki Phoenix/Ryou Okui
Super High School Level Stage Actor
- Crazy Awesome: Just look at his mask. Just look at it.
- Large Ham: HELLO, FELLOW CLASSMATES! I AM THE GREAT TOMOYUKI PHOENIX, AND I SHALL BE YOUR LEAD-er? Uhm hello?
- No Indoor Voice
- Theater: His medium.
Super High School Level Survivalist
That's where memory of her ends for most, but in recent years, Japan's "Lucky Girl" has resurfaced. Popular blog mt-hanachi, which shares frequent survival tips for a wide range of scenarios and exciting stories of the author's adventures traveling the world, had up until very recently been run by an anonymous user. Speculation had run rampant about the author's identity, the only things known about them being that they travelled quite frequently and were a prolific outdoorsman. However, rumors were allayed out of the blue as the blogrunner published a post on her 15th birthday revealing herself to be none other than Madoka Tojo. In the year following the announcement, traffic to Madoka's already-popular blog boomed, her reputation heralding an unprecedented amount of focus on survivalism as well as an acceptance letter to Hope's Peak for the upcoming school term. She is the culprit of Chapter 2 and is executed for the murder of Sawako.
- Badass Adorable: THIS cute, and world renown for her surviving the harsh wilds AND a plane crash!
- Bear Trap: Part of how they are executed, leg caught in a bear trap.
- Break the Cutie: The trial that brought her guilt to light wound up with her breaking down by the end. Fittingly, she shares a name with the trope photo, Madoka.
- Character Signature Song: Stay In Your Tower And Watch from Firewatch
- Coming in Hot: The second half of her death—a plane crashes into her doing this.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Madoka is dropped into the woods she is supposed to be so good at navigating and wanders around before getting caught in a bear trap, a growling towering creature menaces her, and the very plane crash she survived all those years ago comes flying out of the sky and kills her on impact, leaving only her foot still in the bear trap.
- The Cutie
- Dead-Hand Shot: Her left leg in the beartrap is all thats left of her after her execution.
- Death by Irony: Threefold: firstly that a girl famed for her survival in the elements is immobilized by a bear trap, the other being the plane crash she survived being the plane to crash into her and kill her. Finally, her leg that was injured in the earlier crash is the only leg remaining after her death.
- Foreshadowing: Potentially unintentional. Sawako, the girl Madoka murdered, had death posts themed after the musical Wicked and the Wicked Witch of the West. Now in Madoka Magica, an anime Madoka shares a name with, what are Magical Girls who go Corrupt called? Witches.
- Hesitant Sacrifice: [...] p-please, please, you cant kill me, I dont want to die, please, n-not again, please
- The Pollyanna: No matter what happens, Madoka tries to have a cheerful attitude! Even after being found as killer and sentenced to death, she tried to keep smiling for everyones sake.
- Shout-Out: Got a World Travelers Pick Up Lines book from DA 4 U s Bambi Sindrisson.
- Sole Survivor: Of a plane crash when she was a child, and her survival and teachings regarding it made her world famous.
- Sympathetic Murderer
- Tears of Remorse: After being found out for having killed Sawako.
- The Woobie: A girl this cute in a murder game? Shes BOUND to be. Especially after she murders Sawako. She may be a murderer, but the way her last moments are treated by her classmates...
- The World's Expert on Getting Killed: Her SHSL is about Surviving....and she does not survive the Mutual Killing Game.
- Youthful Freckles
Super High School Level Apothecary
- Afraid of Doctors: Implied: While most relations on Sawakos relationship page are some kind of teasing threat, Touya the Nurse has only DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE. This is likely due to her own lifelong experiences being treated again and again by doctors for her illness.
- Angel Face, Demon Face: Can go from a fairly pleasant grin to UTTER MURDER FACE on a dime.
- Born in the Wrong Century: Many people in their relationships pages have mused about how old a practice potion making is, and how it must feel to be the master of such an archaic art. Sawako, it seems, has the time of her life with it.
- Brutal Honesty: During trials she has very little qualms about cutting through peoples egos or sympathies with harsh truths about the way things stand in the Murder Games.
- Cat Smile: When shes pleased, has been known to display one.
- Cute and Psycho: A pretty cute-seeming girl! If it wasnt for that whole MURDER DEATH thing...
- Dead Artists Are Better: In her relationships page, notes this to Wataru—saying the world will know his music at the price of his life.
- I can make you a star!
- Death Seeker: Actively lauds the grandness of death, and volunteers to be a victim with all gladness. Finally comes to a head in her murder, where her will and diary indicate this was due to a growing despair around her lifelong illness.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Seems to have a bit of a soft (or at least medium-pliable) soft for Ebull. Also seems to have a big one for her family and hometown friends, according to her will.
- Evil Gloating: Every last one of her her relationships on her relationships page is her telling said relation how she wants to kill them, or otherwise threatening death.
- Go Out with a Smile: A particularly...unsettling example. See The Unsmile below.
- Hate Sink: Whether its purposeful or not, Sawako acts and talks like she wants the world to hate her. Hate her enough to kill her maybe, as her will entails she wanted to die quickly to avoid long term suffering.
- Hates Small Talk: One of her earlier interactions, before the murder game, had her grumbling and avoiding conversation. Sawako is MUCH more talkative when murder is on the table as a topic.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: A high potential, as her open will addresses anyone that finds the will and apologizes for her behavior, wishing them well.
- Hollywood Homely: Sawako has called herself ugly on at least one public occasion, but her sprite shows a fairly nice looking girl...when shes not making a Face.
- Ill Girl
- In Love with Your Carnage: For the first time in game she lights up right after Ryoujis murder, and openly glories in Touyas death as well...though she did ask if that was all the murderer had.
- Jerkass Has a Point: While her ways of phrasing are intentionally incendiary, she makes a good point in Trial 1: If Hana had really been trying to save people via the self-sacrifice scheme, she could have save a lot of time and close calls if shed just admitted it rather than make people run around up to the post. The fact that she didnt throws her entire story into a less sympathetic light.
- Last Request: Has one to whoever finds her will: to give a final letter to her parents.
- Mask of Sanity: A VERY thin one, but the difference between grumpy and BLOODLUST is very obvious. Both very well could be fake though, judging by both Sawakos internal monologue in Trial 1 and the contents of her Will after her death.
- No Social Skills: Her introduction to people is usually something morbid or offputting...and thats just her introductions!
- No Sympathy: While the class was split during Trial 1 about how much sympathy to feel for Hana, Sawako wasnt having a second of it, ripping into her with everything she had.
- Not So Different: Has this opinion on Kaoru, the omamori artist. The fact that they both deal in archaic arts that some say simply do not work may play into this.
- Only Friend: Ebull seems to be the only one who can stand being near her. She outright confirms this with her wills, one addressed specifically to Ebull thanking her for being there for her when no one else was.
- Pink Means Feminine: Surprisingly for a girl this murderhappy, most of her closet consists of cutesy pink clothing, from pink-elements to Outright Frilly. This is also true of her stuffed animal filled, cutesy room.
- Shout-Out: Receives a book on flowers from DA 5 Ms Suzume Yamaguchi, and an Ever-Victorious Belt from Shogo Kurenai of the same game.
- Straw Nihilist: Youre just like the rest of us despicable human beings. Dont think a half assed apology and heroic act will change that.
- Stupidest Thing I've Ever Heard: Says this about the sentimentality and murderers supposedly selfless intentions in Trial 1.
- The Unsmile: Specializes in this. Her death smile was PARTICULARLY impressive.
Super High School Level Fabricator
...That would have been their fate had Hope's Peak Academy kept their distance from the situation. Known for being a prestigious institution throughout the whole world, Hope's Peak Academy, with the permission from the Japanese government, had officially declared that they would take Ryan in and rehabilitate them into a functional, member of society. A second chance at conforming to society, in other words. The fabricator has officially agreed under oath to the heavy restrictions placed on them, and that they would only use their criminal knowledge to assist in the identification of fabricated objects. According to a few more sources, they have also agreed to attend, and remain at the school under surveillance as well. It is certain to all that they've landed a place in Japan's blacklist after their capture.
- Ambiguous Gender Identity: Identifies as nonbinary, and dislikes being mistaken for a male, such as when Haruna used he pronouns with them during Trial 1.
- Affably Evil: Whether actually evil or not remains up in the air, but whatever they are they are certainly affable.
- Cat Smile
- Cool Bike: Got this from the Monomachine right off the bat, and nearly kills Touya with it before the Murder Game even starts! Drives it right into the trial room during Trial 2 as well, when everyone was asked to bring their Monocoin items.
- Dull Surprise
- Fame Through Infamy: Became well known for a false information leak that allowed a serial killer known as The Widower to get away from authorities
- The Gadfly
- Lack of Empathy: Seems to display some of this when interacting with fellow students.
- Lovable Rogue
- Not Me This Time: Stated almost word for word Trial 1, when blame was passed to them right off the bat by Hana. They were right, and it was in fact the accuser.
- Pass the Popcorn: Does a non-food version of this while watching the fight that breaks out end of Trial 2, comparing the action to a midday soap opera internally.
- Reformed Criminal: Supposedly. This was one of the many conditions for entering Hopes Peak.
- The Scapegoat: In universe, mentioned multiple times: as a former criminal, they are very susceptible to this should a better candidate not be tracked down in time...
- Shout-Out: Receives a Skull Chariot moterbike from DA 3 Es Gorou Inoue and a silk magicians top hat from DA 1′s Seiichi Ichikawa.
- Stepford Smiler / Stepford Snarker: Hints of this, such as when their smile drops after the first death.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Possibly. They are a criminal.
Super High School Level Mascot
- Ambiguous Gender: Piney has outfits for both genders, has played opposite male and female mascots in skits featuring romance, and when asked their gender they respond Piney is a tree. Their pronouns swap between he and they, but she is never off the table. They even put on big goofy eyelashes and blush for certain looks!
- Boisterous Bruiser: Meant to evoke this image, with his little red boxing gloves and title of the 'fighting pines.' In reality, his personality seems quite a bit more mellow, even nervous.
- Anthropomorphic Objects: A walking, talking tree.
- Catchphrase: "Goooooo fighting pines!"
- Chaste Hero: Assumed. He's a tree! And a company mascot to boot!
- Crowd Pleaser: As one of his talents as a mascot, he can gauge 'audience' reaction and respond accordingly—this was the main bulk of his job.
- Doing It for the Art: The only explanation that people can come up with for why someone would choose to be so inhumanly devoted to the 24/7 portrayal of the character.
- Famous for Being Famous: Like Funashi before them.
- Fountain of Memes: In-universe. A vine meme where people would perform stunts with Piney plushies helped push him fully into memetic levels of fame.
- Goofy Suit: Part of his whole shtick is that he is never seen outside of it. Even in private.
- The Heart: In trials, its this tree that seems to be reminding people to respect the soon-to-be-deceased and to hear them out. They also offer moral support to classmates like Charmayne and assistance to sick peers like Andrew and Miho in their Chapter 3 Relationship updates.
- I'm Your Biggest Fan: Reacts this way to meeting Ryouji Nomiya, their favorite Viner, in person. Luckily for them, Ryouji feels just the same way!
- Limited Wardrobe: Averted, surprisingly. One wouldnt expect a Tree to have that much to wear, but a baseball outfit and a maid outfit have both been featured, with a closet full of more clothing to be found to anyone who looks through his room...
- Love It or Hate It: In universe. For all the popularity, there's always going to be people who think he's annoying, a corporate tool, or downright creepy.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: When Ryouji, the first person he was growing close to, died. His scream apparently broke vocal character.
- Playing a Tree: Literally.
- Pungeon Master: In media, Piney is almost unstoppable with his tree and nature related puns. It seems that the tension of the new situation pulled the puns out of them before the murder game even started.
- Recognizable by Sound: His shoes puff/squeak softly when he moves. Very distinctive, and gives him no chance to sneak up on anyone.
- Secret Identity: Who or even what is under the boughs is a mystery that has even incited the start of fanclubs dedicated to figuring out the trees real identity. Part of what makes them SHSL is that no one has been able to find out thus far.
- Slave to PR: Has been accused of this by detractors, which was replied to with a resounding 'duh'—he's a company mascot, of COURSE he is!
- Smarter Than You Look: On TV and as an image Piney is a tad ditzy, like most people expect a mascot to be. But when placed in a high tension situation like the awakening in Praetis, it seems that persona falls away in favor of a nervous and intelligent, if eccentric, tree.
- The Gimmick: Is this to his company, Bando Eco Logging.
- The One Who Wears Shoes: Piney's not like OTHER trees—his magical red shoes allow him to walk around!
- Third-Person Person: Pineys incredibly notable for this, and it depends on the person how long they can stand to listen to it. Moments where they slip up and use I are not unheard of however, though they seem to be important.
- Shout-Out: Received an incredibly fancy bottle of wine mixed with blood from Shuu Shimura of DA 4 U.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Piney has been stated in his 30 facts to be a big fan of melons and melon or green tea flavored treats and sweets. However, people note that Pineys own food choices when left to their own devices are incredibly simple in comparison and that its likely only melons because his company has some kind of contract with melon farmers to say that and promote the product.
- Interactions with Charmayne in Chapter 2 insinuate that Piney may have a soft spot for udon.
- Tragic Keepsake: Keeps Ryuoji's necklace after he is killed
Super High School Level Visual Novelist
- Blush Sticker
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: A world renown visual novel artist...and an adorable little guy who looks like a human hug and starts his Trial career with a colorful shonen-anime style speech.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: If his introduction is any indication, seems to believe that anime-style speeches are the key to motivation, or when he puts his three kirugumis together to create the Kiru-mera.
- Declaration of Protection: From Chapter 2 update on the relationships, makes this about Hanako.
- If you made that kind of promise ... I'm going to do the same for you. I'm not strong, but! Please let me protect you too!
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Is pretty let down when his super cool introduction speech garners only the barest of reactions or even acknowledgment.
- Friendless Background: Seems to come from one, and is more use to being bullied and laughed at than anything else.
- Hate Sink: Seems to think he is one, and defaults to believing that people hate him.
- Romance Game: What the genre of the work he's most recognized for belongs to.
- Rousing Speech: Attempts one at the start of the first Trial. It...didnt quite have the effect hed hoped for.
- Shout-Out: Got a dog collar from Hachirou Shibata of DA 5 M and incredibly quesitonable Vegetable Juice from DA 3 Es Kikuyo Shirabe.
- The Unwitting Comedian
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Has shades of this, seen in his speech.
Super High School Level Pianist
Aside from the more formal recognition, Ayato has also been recognized by his stage name, "Shinigami-kun", as the keyboardist of the recently popular band ARC/\NA. Known for their masks, Major Tarot themed stage names, and unique sound; the six-person band quickly climbed the charts and are one of the top 5 hottest bands of the year with their hit single, Train Station Melancholy. Despite all of this, nothing is known about Ayato Akiyama personally and is considered a mystery to others.
- Addiction Displacement: Reveals to have had a habit of smoking and uses candy, mostly lollipops, to curb his cravings.
- Alliterative Name: Ayato Akiyama
- Ambiguously Brown: Has noticeably darker skin but his ethnicity has not been stated yet.
- Beauty Mark: Has two vertical beauty marks underneath his left eye.
- Character Tics: He holds the wrist where a red scarf is tied when he's nervous, and is constantly having his hands in his pockets.
- Child Prodigy: Acquired achievements from his piano playing at the tender age of six.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: Has very noticeable ones under his eyes and only seem to be getting worse as the story progresses.
- Elegant Classical Musician
- Gentle Giant: One of the taller students in the class and is pretty easy-going. He also doesn't seem to bear any ill-will to anyone that tried accusing him as the Trial 1 culprit.
- Idiot Hair
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: His hair reaches down to his waist, but it's mostly unseen due to his jacket.
- In Chapter 5 he finally ditches the jacket and let's his hair down. His new appearance did have someone comment on how he looked, "pretty for a guy".
- Oral Fixation: Almost always seen with a lollipop in his mouth.
- Perpetual Smiler: His sprite (and most art of him) has him always smiling, for whatever reason.
- Including when hes being nearly indited of murder, leading to the possibility of Stepford Smiler.
- The Scapegoat: Nearly becomes one in Trial 1, all over the style and fit of an entirely unrelated jacket.
- Shout-Out: Got a neon-pink beanie from Wataru Mishina of DA 2 B.
- Stage Names: "Shinigami-kun", as the keyboardist of the band, ARC/\NA.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Apparently if he had tied his hair in a high-ponytail, he'd end up looking like his younger sister (except maybe prettier).
- Tarot Cards: The motif to his band, ARC/\NA. His friends/band mates all have stage names relating to the Major Arcana and his is (ominously enough), "Death".
- Wing Ding Eyes: His updated sprites has "X" shapes in his eyes to replace his pupils.
Super High School Level Omamori Artist
However, there is one young artist working to change all of that. A kid with a troubled past turned local hero at the shrine they were adopted into, Kaoru Miyahara's gorgeously detailed, lovingly handmade Omamori are known worldwide for their almost magical fortune. Need money? Need luck on an exam? Need to scare some evil out of your life? Kaoru's charms do it all; exquisitely so. It's hard not to get lost in the meticulous, one-of-a-kind designs that has helped the legendary charms rise to fame, though the rumors that they always work surrounding them certainly help as well.
Died in Chapter 5 when they failed to escape the collapsing Praetis.
- Face of a Thug: A CUTE thug, but still...
- Good Luck Charm: His craft, and what he is SHSL good at.
- Rags to Riches: Well riches is subjective but...
- Self-Made Man: From the street to one of Japans top Omamori artists.
- Street Urchin: Used to be this.
Super High School Level Mythologist
Veronica Shimizu has definitely a hand in the newly arising interest in mythologies, given that every work that she's done the research for has been more popular than other works of the same kind. Especially the famous movie Impundulu; was praised for its accurate presentation of the myths used there. Furthermore, she's also one of the people who found a more complete version of lsquo;The Tale of Genji; at Mitsumine Castle, as well as a collection of old, Japanese folklore that reveals new details about Izanagi. All these successes granted her an invitation to Hope's Peak Academy which she humbly accepted.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Beauty Mark: Has one right under her mouth.
- But I Digress: She uses this pretty often, word for word.
- Consummate Professional: In the trial room, it pays to be professional. And in the executions. And in the personal life. Uh...
- Cultured Badass
- Disapproving Look: Excels in these, in the incredibly dispassionate flavor.
- Dispense with the Pleasantries: During Trial 1, though she bothers with them first she does say this pretty much word for word. During Trial 2, she just wordlessly does this and starts with the facts.
- Emotionless Girl: One of her defining traits, and something that frustrates her classmates endlessly. Though she has admitted to having emotions she also has a very good grip on them, and is dispassionate to a fault on all of her observations.
- Emotions vs. Stoicism: VERY FAR on the scale leaning Stoic. This leaves a lot to be desired in her bedside manner, and seemingly strips her of the ability to consider the case from a human-heart perspective, leaving her questioning the motive and chalking it up as her classmates being illogical.
- Nice Hat: The Nicest Hat.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Shout-Out: Got, of all things, shark themed condoms from Aqua Ooshima of DA 3 E.
- The Spock
- The Stoic
- What Is This Feeling?: Has a few points where she seems near to experiencing an emotion, especially in trials. When casting her vote for Madoka in Trial 2, she felt a twinge of something like disappointment, or even sadness.
Super High School Level Heiress /SHSL Competitive Vaper
Little is known about their daughter or how she spends her time, but her Mother speaks highly of her during her highly publicized humanitarian activism efforts, and highly approves of her decision to attend Hope's Peak Academy. Her Father, as always, was too busy to make any sort of comment at all. She is the culprit of Chapter 1 and is executed for the murder of Touya.
- Base-Breaking Character: In universe. The aftershocks from the divisions that occurred after she was outed as murderer and executed can still be felt throughout the various social circles.
- Break Them by Talking: What happened to Hana during Trial 1: After all the talking and panicking and back and forth about who the murderer was, Hana finally couldnt take it anymore and confessed.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's half-Japanese, half-Brazilian.
- Buy Them Off: A weak attempt at this was made during Trial 1, to have people vote for the already-dead Touya so as to not condemn someone else to death. It didnt work, and it turned out she was the murderer.
- Character Signature Song: Mitski: A Burning Hill
- Closet Geek: Her room is filled with Disney merch, cute toys, and a 50$ Steven Universe Garnet blanket she imported from America.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Dropped into a box of a room with a timed bomb she attempts to dismantle, has to try unknotting the wires, and when she thinks she succeeded it lets of cigarette smoke, choking her to death.
- Death by Irony: Dies via cigarette smoke, which she cant stand.
- Dropped Glasses: Does this in her execution, losing her precious time as she searches under the table for them. Not that it actually matters in the end, but.
- Dropping the Bombshell: Invoked when Hana slams in a vote for herself and confesses to the murder of Touya.
- Face Death with Dignity
- Final Speech: Makes one to everyone, individual thanks to each and every person, before thanking them all for being her friend and making them honorary pixies.
- Friendless Background: Outright stated to have one, and one of the things she does not regret about the Murder Game is making the friends she did, and finally getting to have a sleepover and a best friend.
- Get It Over With: Said word for word to Monobear about her execution.
- Gilded Cage: Lived in one as she grew up.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: She finally gets to show it in the end, before her execution. Complete with everyone being made into honorary pixies whom she gives her pixie magic.
- I Die Free: Free from fear, free from emotional repression, free from her parents and expectations. Its one of the reasons she feels she can be at peace when she dies.
- I'm Your Biggest Fan: Is already a big fan of Alianis books before she even gets to the school. Needless to say, being in the same class as her was a thrill.
- Inspirational Martyr: To some...see the above Base-Breaking Character.
- It Has Been an Honor: Said to her classmates before her death.
- The Lost Lenore: To Charmayne, and whom the self sacrifice of continues to haunt the class.
- Not Afraid to Die: Word for word.
- One Last Smoke: Two horribly ironic versions of this: The first is her one last vape before she attempts to murder Touya for the first time. The second is literally cigarette smoke that rushes out of her execution bomb and chokes her to death.
- Rich Bitch: The first impression she gives to most.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Ambiguous if her relationship to Charmayne is this or outright Schoolgirl Lesbians. Evidence heavily hints at the latter.
- Self-Sacrifice Scheme: She and Touya talked it through and worked it out to this. Whether she would have carried through had her conscience not caught up to her last moment is still in question though...
- Sir Swearsalot: Uses swears more liberally than she uses commas. Even if theres no anger in her, it comes out as this.
- Smoking Is Not Cool: Her response to even the possibility of smoking is to go off on the offender and speak to why not only is smoking bad for you, but vaping is much better. Cue ironic death via cigarette smoke.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Petite but a POWERHOUSE of practical mechanical knowledge.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- Sympathetic Murderer: The class might argue this one around but...
- Tears of Remorse: By the bucketful, post confession.
Super High School Level Wedding Photographer
- Bridezilla: His job is dealing with these. Daily. Joy.
- Beneath the Mask: While the full under the mask has yet to be revealed, he is actively aware of slips where hell become nasty, scathing and completely fed up with the idiots around him.
- Camera Fiend: His SHSL talent, specializing in wedding photography.
- Condescending Compassion: His nice guy routine can be seen as this, though how much it is for apperances sake versus how much of a genuine change hes trying to enact in himself is up in the air.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Of what kind is still unsure, but several allusions to it have been made in internal dialogue.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially when his face starts to slip. Used to deliver his particularly bitter two cents when he cant help himself.
- No Social Skills: Seems to be working on his actively, thus coaching and berating himself in his head all through out his relationship page and internal dialogue.
- Shout-Out: Received a broken tablet from DA 4 Os Hirashi Abe, a cult pamphlet from Zoombi Malware of DA 5 M and a collection of guro manga from DA 3 Es Koharu Amashiro. Poor guy...
- Surrounded by Idiots: Almost word for word in Trial 2. Tadashi believes that his classmates are complete morons who dont listen to him, and has a very hard time not raking them over the coals.
- No Sympathy: Takes this stance in both trials against the murderers.
- Twitchy Eye: When his nice guy mask starts to slip.
- Wedding Day: His job is ensuring that couples get the PERFECT shot of their special day.
Super High School Level Competitive Eater
Died in Chapter 5 when they failed to escape the collapsing Praetis.
- Big Eater: Their job, as well as a skill of theirs.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: Their other skill? Ability to stomach just about anything.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: One can assume, considering the amount they can eat!
- The Pollyanna: A much more toned-down version than other members of this cast. May be thrown into debate after Madokas betrayal in Trial 2.
- Shout-Out: They received paper charms from Wakana Fujiwara, DA 3 Os Mastermind, a flower crown from DA 1′s Nozomi Shibusa Omoiyari and a green hair clip for DA 3 Es Kahori Abe.
- Youthful Freckles
Super High School Level Meteorologist
- Acting Your Intellectual Age
- Agree to Disagree: States this several times during and post Trial 1. Trial 2 however...
- Berserk Button: Dont call her by her first name unless shes given you permission. DONT call her a spoiled princess. And DO NOT call her short.
- Black and White Morality: After the heartache of losing Hana Trial 1, she seems to have taken this approach. It either Is or Is Not—and anyone saying otherwise is an idiot she has no time for, sans the time it takes to straighten them out.
- Break the Haughty: An interesting case where the break actually happens, and as a RESULT she becomes Haughty.
- Broken Bird: Finding out her new friend Hana was a murderer and losing her to execution has left Harunas already fragile trust in tatters.
- Brutal Honesty: Though what is truth and just truthfully her belief depends, either one she will state unflinchingly, and the amount shell go out of her way to make it polite depends.
- Child Prodigy: Has been winning awards since she was a child, and has been able to read at a high school level since she was 10. This left her with a distance between herself and her peers shes bitterly regarded ever since.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Seeing her new friend executed for a murder she actually committed was this for Haruna.
- First-Name Basis: With Hana and Kanon, as a sign of their friendships.
- Gilded Cage: Grew up in one. she resented it, and the distance it made between herself and her peers and parents.
- Hypocrite: Has been accused of this by her classmates. A notable example is Veronica in Trial 2, calling her on her viciousness towards Madoka when her motive was very close to the motive of previous murderer Hana, whom Haruna still regards with total fondness.
- Ice Queen
- Insufferable Genius: Been accused of this by peers in the past. How insufferable she actually is depends on who you ask...
- In the End, You Are on Your Own: Her belief is that ultimately, the only one you can trust is yourself.
- Not So Stoic: After Hana is outed as the murderer, Haruna breaks down and starts to sob.
- Older Than They Look: Looks 12, and is in high school.
- Only Friend: In her past, only a girl named Kotone was Harunas friend. This bleeds directly into...
- The Only One I Trust: Despite the group of acquaintances she is making, Kotone is still the only person she trusts and says as much during her backstory speech in Trial 2.
- Parental Neglect: Suffered this during her childhood, as she told the class in Trial 2, and only saw her parents during her birthdays.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Basically, the entire end of Trial 2 was this for her. And when Hanako and Veronica came after her? THEN it REALLY began.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Rich Bitch: The impression people often get of her pre-murder game. How accurate this statement is depends on who in the class you ask.
- Shorter Means Smarter
- Skewed Priorities: Debatable. In Trial 2, she spends the end of the trial defending her own caustic point of view over paying any attention to the soon-to-be-executed or her last words. But one could also argue that if one considered a murderer not worth the time or sympathy, these priorities line right up.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: In the group chat, she promises she can do this even with people she is arguing with. Then comes Trial 2...
- They're Called "Personal Issues" for a Reason: She and Hanako get into a Backstory Reveal contest at the end of Trial 2, revealing her lonely childhood and Only Friend. Theyre both called on this by multiple people, most memorably by Tadashi:
- Madoka Tojo is about to die, and youre all out here playing shit parent bingo..?
- This Is Unforgivable!: Her reaction to Hanas betrayal of her trust in Trial 1.
- Troubled, but Cute
Super High School Level Composer
Died in Chapter 5 when they failed to escape the collapsing Praetis.
- Child Prodigy: Was one. He has mastered classical composition at the age of 6.
- Elegant Classical Musician: His specialty.
- Eyes Always Shut: Befitting of his calm, almost completely serene disposition.
- Ill Boy: Has poor immune system and finds himself chronically ill. His sickly frame emphasizes this even further.
- Meaningful Name / Punny Name: His first name Wataru (航) is written with the kanji that means 'to navigate' while his last name is a play on the English word 'note'. Simply put, he is a navigator of notes.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
Super High School Level Guerrilla Gardener
- Accidental Murder: Kills Charmayne allegedly on accident, having switched a cup of poisoned tea meant for himself.
- Blinding Bangs
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Sent through a grinder and turned into mulch.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Born to a sexworker mother, forced to hide in her closet while she worked, kicked out of their apartment and onto the street while being separated from his mother with no idea if shes alive....Its a hard knock life for this guy.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: This guy yells at almost everything. Hell do it, hell yell.
- Heroic Bastard
- Meet My Good Friends "Lefty" and "Righty": CATCH THESE PATENTED KAMIKAWA FISTS!!
- Missing Mom: Literal. He has no idea where his mom is, or if shes still alive even. Ouch.
- Mistaken for Murderer: When he decides to spend the night at Pineys room on the night before the 2nd murder, Piney is terrified and comes to the conclusion that Hanako is trying to make them the next victim and phones Veronica over to provide backup. As it turns out, Hanako figured Piney was one of the easiest targets, and wanted to stay with them to ensure their safety.
- Nature Lover: Its a big part of his title: he is VERY passionate about the environment.
- No Social Skills: Not enough to stop him from getting friends in people who can overlook it, but Hanako doesnt communicate his intentions very clearly, or else communicates far TOO clearly...
- Not Helping Your Case: In trial 1 when the possibility that he could be the murderer is brought up, he essentially just yells and swears he didnt do it in an aggressive way. Needless to say, people werent convinced.
- Single Mom Stripper: Prostitute, actually. His mother provided for him in the only way she could.
- Son of a Whore
- Sympathetic Murderer: Intended the poison for himself, and gives up in trial gracefully once he is caught. Becomes very adamant on Andrew not having anything to do with the murder once he counterconfessed, as he did not wish for someone else to take his fall.
- They're Called "Personal Issues" for a Reason: Gets into a Backstory Reveal verbal throwdown with Haruna where he reveals his backstory as a whores son living in the wrong side of town. Both were called out using this, with various different versions of no one asked for your backstory spoken.
- We Help the Helpless: As gruff as he is, this seems to be his true attitude. He even gets violent at the very idea that people could be picking on people that werent their own size.
Super High School Level Viner
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Sliced in half, but only just—still intact enough to spend a few seconds gasping for life, even as he begins to accordion in on himself unnaturally...brr.
- Death by Irony: Indirectly. Guy dies a few days after the Vine app is announced dead.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Pretty much, from how he was described to 'accordion' after Monobear was through with him.
- He Knows Too Much: Presumably killed off for this: after referring to something on his keycard, Peri takes the card and panics, stating he 'shouldn't have seen that'. He is killed immediately afterwards by Monobear.
- I'm Your Biggest Fan: Reacts this way upon seeing Piney Pines for the first time—his little sister is a big fan. Luckily enough for him, Pineys a big fan of his too!
- Instant Web Hit: Where his fame comes from.
- The Pollyanna: The male version. Nothing gets this guy down for longer than a minute!
- Sacrificial Lion
- Those Two Guys: Had the potential to be this or even Heterosexual Life-Partners with Piney Pines from starting chemistry alone. Then Monobear got his claws on him...literally.
- Tragic Keepsake: Piney keeps Ryuoji's necklace after he is killed.
Super High School Level Competitive Karuta Queen
- Bash Brothers: With EBULLIENCE.
- Cuteness Proximity: Gets friendlier the closer she gets to something or someone she sees as cute and has a hard time staying mad at them.
- Dumb Blonde: She has her moments, but is certainly not the brightest bulb in the pack. In fact, her reputation as a karuta champion is built off of her use of intuitive play to counter more strategic players.
- Faceofa Thug
- Genki Girl:
- Gyaru Girl
- Hot-Blooded: She's famous for her spirited style of play.
- Innocently Insensitive: Says what she thinks, which right after someones friend gets sent to the chopping block, can be seen as harsh or worse...not that she particularly cares.
- Kimono Is Traditional: Wears traditional clothes as her everydays.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Her blog, outside of her interactions, heavily features cute pictures of cats doing stuff.
- No Sympathy: As far as shes considered, a murderer is a murderer and a murderer is to be caught, simple as that!
- Paper Tiger: Despite her feisty reputation, she's only 5'2" and not exactly imposing.
- Shout-Out: Gets bloody scrubs from Yuuto Ikeda, DA 3 As Mastermind.
- Sweet Tooth: Tomo is regularly seen munching away on snacks she has stashed on her person.
Super High School Level Weapons Engineer
- Alliterative Name
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Animal Motifs: Black cats.
- Beauty Mark: On the left side of her face, under her lips.
- Because I'm Good at It
- But Not Too Foreign: She's half Russian.
- Career Versus Man: Mentioned out of character that she's had several girlfriends before, but they always end up breaking up because her job keeps her so busy.
- Classical Music Is Boring: States as such in her Relationships page regarding several classical music specialists.
- Cuteness Proximity: Has a thing for cats, as her Relationship page motif proves.
- Death Glare: Especially in trials. If you get on this girls bad side or on the bad side of her friends, expect to be catching this killer look sooner rather than later.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Disproportionate Reward: In Chapter 1, she showed she'd die for anyone who so much as became her friend.
- Eccentric Millionaire: Apparently likes to photoshop pictures of herself with cats. Not well but she does it.
- First-Name Basis: though she prefers this with everyone, specific mention goes to Haruna, as a sign of their friendship.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Gun Nut
- Hime Cut
- I Should Have Been Better: Blames herself for what happened with Hana in the first trial, and apologizes to her memory on her relationship blog.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Mama Bear: In Trial 1, fights to protect her friend Hana even when Hana has already confessed guilt. In Trial 2 she similarly tells off everyone involved in the overshare debacle except for her friend Haruna, who started it in the first place. Word of God states that Kanon is biased towards her friends.
- Meaningful Name: Kanon, pronounced like cannon, makes weapons... Strangely enough, her creator didn't notice this until it was pointed out.
- Non-Idle Rich: Born into a rich family but works almost non-stop in her talent.
- Not So Stoic: Goes into a boiling rage at the end of Trial 1, promising swift vengeance on anyone who dares vote for her friend.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Shout-Out: Receives Kenshin Takayuki from DA 4 O's severed head from the Monokuma machine. She did not take it well.
- Statuesque Stunner: She stands at 6' and is very attractive.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Her feelings towards the end of Trial 1 and the loss of Hana.
- Undying Loyalty
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Changes her outfit every chapter.
- What Is This Feeling?: Kanon is not used to any strong emotion aside from anger. So when she feels something that is closer to sadness after Hanas execution is announced, she cant understand it and tries instead to see it through the lens of anger at the class that voted her friend to her death.
Super High School Level Hebocon Competitor
- Gadgeteer Genius: Works with fighting robots, so its a skill of his.
- Never Learned to Read: In Chapter 4, he admits that he is not skilled at reading and that he only passed is high school entry exam because someone read the whole exam to him.
- Rich Bitch: The male equal, an heir and at least presenting on first blush as a dick.
Super High School Level Guardian
Erm, wait, is the mic even on? Oh, for the love of—!
Well, truly, you dont have to hear this girls charming voice to know that shes the best of her kind. And woah, does she know how to fend off some raid bosses or what? When it comes to tanking (on World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and Final Fantasy XIV at least — she cant diversify that much), you really cant find any better — and especially any better that dedicates so much time to raiding tips, positioning tricks, and ranking the current tanks!
For the past six years EBULLIENCE has been making one of the oddest names for herself in the world of tanking — one laced with mystery, fun, and a certain kind of bullheadedness. Though she has permeated an online presence for a while, not once has our bully girl uploaded a single picture of herself — or given any clue to who she is. While she may tank some of the highest content in games, her guilds — while prestigious — are not consistent; the only constant is that she always keeps BYE✮BYE — her designated support — close.
But hey — that kind of mystery is part of the fun, right? Whoever she is, its clear that EBULLIENCE truly is a creature unlike any other!
- Acronym and Abbreviation Overload: Has a tendency to pepper her speech and text with needless abbreviations from her MMOs. While some of these make sense (BRB, G 2 G, etc), others (such as repeatedly spamming people with "r") ... are less obvious.
- A Father to His Men: Gender flipped version. If the class are her team she certainly counts as this: among other things, she sends silk flowers and chocolates to her classmates at the end of trials.
- Animal Motifs: Bulls to an almost absurd degree.
- Animal Stereotypes: The bull—a creature of incredible power, stamina, drive and stubborness; if a bull decides its charging somewhere, it WILL get there.
- Bare Your Midriff: Just as feasibly as any female model in an MMO!
- Beauty Mark: Right below her right eye.
- Bash Brothers: With Tomoka.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Gives this impression off, and is apparently quite strong in real life.
- Challenge Seeker: The hum drum and every day are not enough for this bull!!
- Cute Bruiser: Shes very attractive, almost adorable, and shell take you DOWN.
- Fearless Fool: She doesnt fear meeting anyone one on one, even hanging out with the openly homicidal Sawako.
- Fun Personified
- Gamer Chick: when ur gaming with a game girl ur gaming with the best.
- Heroic BSoD: Undergoes a mild one at the end of Trial 2, when people are fighting and the weight of sending Madoka to her death weigh in on her. Shes good enough friends with most by now that multiple people offer her their help.
- I Should Have Been Better: As head of the charge, she feels a lot of guilt following each trial—just because a murderer is caught does not mean a victory has been accomplished.
- The Leader: Unofficially, but she is the one who is able to chorale, organize and motivate this ragtag group of misfits better than anyone via her blend of energy and compassion. She takes initiative in trials, and is always a key player in finding who the culprit is.
- Mama Bear: Plays a guardian druid (aka: a bear) in World of Warcraft, and is extremely protective over her healer, BYE✮BYE.
- Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game: Where her expertise lies: she tanks like no ones business.
- Plucky Girl
- Super Reflexes: A good bulk of the reason as to why she's such a capable tank. She doesn't even know what wiping a group or letting a non-DPS die could possibly entail!
Super High School Level Violinist
- Accomplice by Inaction: Kept quiet and in fact even vouched an alibi for Hana, the first cases murderer, and was dismayed when Hana confessed.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: An impression many get with her. A beautiful girl with a lovely smile and a kind demeanor, who creates beautiful music...no wonder shes given the nickname of the angel.
- Blind Musician: Blind, and a violin virtuoso. Fits this to a T.
- Death Glare: Gives one to Monobear and the class as a whole, and all while being blind.
- Declaration of Protection: To Hana.
- The Dulcinea Effect: One potential interpretation of how quickly she bonded to and potentially fell for Hana.
- Elegant Classical Musician
- Emotionless Girl : Insinuated earlier in some narration, but pretty much confirmed at the end of the second trial when she was calling Veronica out on her own behavior.
- [...]Having no emotions doesnt make you smarter than everyone else. That is something I also learned recently.
- Fool for Love: Another possible interpretation for her actions in Trial 1, defending Hana despite her guilt. This one has been assumed by a couple of her peers, and needless to say theres quite a lot of distrust directed at her now.
- Go Through Me: Says this to Monobear when Hanas execution becomes imminent. Does not get her wish.
- The Lost Lenore: Hana is this to her, and the reaction to Hanas actions continue to have ripple effects across the cast.
- Pinky Swear: To Hana.
- Playing the Heart Strings: On her violin, her specialty.
- The Promise: To Hana; see Declaration of Protection above.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Ambiguous if her relationship to Hana is this or outright Schoolgirl Lesbians. Evidence heavily hints at the latter.
- Shout-Out: Receives a LEGO Ninjago Fire backpack of DA 4 O's Rover and a Wonderbra from DA 2 Ws Mitsuko Iwasaki.
- Staring Down Cthulhu: To Monobear, while blind. Impressive!
- Tastes Like Purple: Has the real-life version of this, synesthesia. Her relationship page even states what shape, color and flavor each persons name is to her.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Says about as much about those who voted for Hana during Trial 1...despite Hana asking people to vote for her.
- Tranquil Fury: Any time she gets mad is this. Props to Trial 1 for excellent illustration of this.
- Undying Loyalty: To Hana. To the point of being willing to lie to cover up her murdering someone else and potentially putting someone else on the chopping block.
Super High School Level B-Boy
- Breakthe Cutie: Trial 2 is really starting to show its wear and tear on the kid...
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Confesses this in Trial 2. Not to take away his title, just, go to school like he was supposed to.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Same as above. This poor kid...
- Nice Guy
- Pretty Boy
- Summon Backup Dancers: His job is to BE the backup dancers.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Gets this upon seeing Madokas execution.
Super High School Level Sci-Fi Horror Author
- Aloof Darkhaired Girl: Dark hair, with a disconnected nature.
- Animal Motifs: Minks.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hinted at in-game, though details are yet to be revealed.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Complete with Creepy Shadowed Undereyes.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Has the look down, and the character to match.
- Subverted slightly when it turns out the hair's a wig, though her natural colour is still brown, though much lighter.
- Elective Mute: Due to having difficulties hearing, she instead uses a whiteboard to communicate.
- Reading Lips: How she understands other students. Because of this, she asks others to look at her when they are speaking.
- Of course, this doesn't always work out for her, and she is prone to misunderstanding others' words.
- Messy Hair: Braided, but the trope is still in effect.
- Not So Stoic: Upon talking to Piney Pines in Trial 2 and seeing hes writing out notes for her so she can understand him better, she perks right up and the two start doodling and dancing together. Its as tooth achingly cute as it sounds.
- Shout-Out: Recives the Hassy stamina drink from DA 5 Ms Koji Banno and a slashed up uniform jacket from Hibiki Tsukino of DA 4 O.
Super High School Level Public Speaker
Died in Chapter 5 when she failed to escape the collapsing Praetis.
- Beauty Mark: Below her left eye.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Partakes in this with some of the girls on the night of the first murder, and is thus hung over come trial. Implied to be a larger problem than a one-shot shinding.
- Rousing Speech: Her job is to give these for a living.
- Signature Style: Her gem-tipped fake eyelashes, her charm point.
Super High School Level Orthodontist
Died in Chapter 5 when he failed to escape the collapsing Praetis.
- Beauty Mark: All OVER his face.
- Depraved Dentist: Considering he is the top dentist of his age, this is likely subverted.
- Face of a Thug: That is not quite the face one expects to have attached to dentist, with all the piercings and such.
SHSL Rhythm Gamer
From Pump It Up to ITG, Beatmania IIX to Sound Voltex, Taiko: Drum Master to OSU!, there likely isnt a rhythm game CMYK hasnt played - and of those he has played, there are even fewer he hasnt ranked into the top ten. CMYK has been dancing, drumming, and tapping keys in time to the beat since childhood, cementing his spot into the ever-growing rhythm game community worldwide. Whether its in a local arcade, a nationally-ranked competition, or the basement of his home, CMYK can typically be found glued to a screen, keeping time to the melody of a song. His skills arent the only thing keeping him in the limelight, though; CMYK wears a CRT monitor over his head while competing or playing games in public, entirely masking his face. Thus far, hes been able to keep his real name and identity well under wraps, and goes only by his forum alias, CMYK, whenever his interactions relate to his talents.
Died in Chapter 5 when they failed to escape the collapsing Praetis.
- Fragile Speedster: Their first skill is their incredible speed and reflex, to hit all those perfect notes.
- Victory by Endurance: One of their skills is high endurance.
- Rhythm Game: Their specialty.
- Secret Identity: Keeps his secret via a TV head they wear while in public.
- Surreal Symbolic Heads: Wears a TV head at all times while competing or in public.
Super High School Level Nurse Anesthetist
- Bloodfromthe Mouth: Has a tendency to cough up blood from time to time, hence the surgical mask. Very much present at his death.
- Dies Wide Open
- Dressed to Heal
- Dull Eyesof Unhappiness: His default state.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Incurable Coughof Death
- The Medic
- The Needs of the Many: He and Hana discuss how their deaths, or at the very least his, needs to happen so the others will be safe.
- Official Couple: With Takeshi Mori from Tora.
- Peeka Bangs: Though, technically, there's no eye behind that hair.
- Self-Sacrifice Scheme: Planned with Hana for his murder to save the others from Monobears promised wrath.
- Shrinking Violet
The one behind the Mutual Killing Game. After all, that little bear couldn't have come up with this all on his own...right?