This is the character page for the main protagonists of Dies Irae, made of Ren Fujii and his relatively small circle of friends. It also includes LDO member Kei Sakurai, being one of the main heroines.
Beware of unmarked spoilers. Be careful from now on.
Volced by: Kosuke Toriumi (Japanese), Brandon McInnis (English)
Rune: ᛞ (Dagaz)
Major Arcana: The Magician
Zodiac Sign: None. Represented by ☿ (Mercury)
Ewigkeit Degree: Yetzirah (Kasumi route), Beri'ah (Kei route), Atziluth (Marie and Rea route)
Ahnenerbe: Bois de Justice: Pillar of Justice, Thrud Walküre (Kei route)
A lone wolf lacking in sociality. He may appear rather mature for his age, but is fast to lose his cool when complimented over his effeminate features - a trait that became somewhat of a complex for him. While normally agreeable with others, he draws a clear line between himself and the rest of his schoolmates, with the exception of a few close friends.
Unfortunately, about two months prior, a brutal fight inexplicably broke out between him and Shirou Yusa - his best friend - that left both of them hospitalized, placing Ren's already fickle reputation at school in complete jeopardy.
Following some events he comes into possession of Bois De Justice, the guillotine from the French revolution. Containing the soul of Marguerite Breuilh, this Ahnenerbe allows Ren to harness her curse to decapitate anyone whose neck makes contact with its blade, regardless of regeneration or immortality.
- Abusive Parents: It is heavily implied throughout the novel that his adoptive father was less than a pleasant person. The anime is much more straightforward about it, portraying him as a straight up Mad Scientist who has had connections to the LDO for quite some time. And then there is of course the issue with Ren's "real" father.
- Achey Scars: The scar on his neck sometimes aches as the guillotine craves sacrifices.
- Adaptational Dumbass: Mild example but in the anime adaptation, Ren is shown to act much more on emotion and impulse. While a reckless risk-taker in both versions when it comes to combat, he is far less analytical when considering the risks he takes and in general just brute forces his way forward.
- The Ageless: Following the events in Marie's route, Ren ceases to age due to still retaining his powers. This in stark contrast to Kasumi who keeps on aging as normal and everyone else who reincarnated.
- All Deaths Final: In his views, the dead should stay dead and anyone who is trying to change that are just devaluing those who have passed. In Kei's route this belief forms the core of Eine Faust Scherzo, his Beri'ah.
- An Ice Person: In the anime, Ren's ability to stop time is portrayed as straight up freezing everything around him in solid ice.
- Artificial Human:Was created as Mercurius' Ahnenerbe, a merger of parts of Mercurius and Lotus' souls.
- Battle Couple: Between him and Kei in her route.
- Being Watched: After mastering 'Formation' are all his senses enhanced allowing him to pick that someone is watching him during his, Marie's and Kasumi's outing. It turns out to be Ellie that is watching him.
- Blue Is Heroic: His main color scheme is blue, and he's an overall good guy.
- Claimed by the Supernatural: After he finally accepts the guillotine he is branded with the same decapitation scar as Marie.
- Cosmic Plaything: Lampshaded by Mercurius in Marie's route when he tells him that everything he is is a carefully arranged puzzle piece in Mercurius' plan that barely has anything resembling free will.
- Creature of Habit: He wants to live a normal life, because he find the 'unknown' frightening. This forms the basis of his desires and ultimately,his universal law.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Once he reaches his Atziluth degree, anyone short of Reinhard and Mercurius might as well just give up. Best shown at the end of Rea's route where he pretty much trounces on the Three Commanders.
- Deader Than Dead: In Kei's route he gains a different version of his Beri'ah with the aid of Beatrice's Thrud Walküre called Eine Faust Scherzo which allows him to permanently kill the living dead.
- Deadpan Snarker: Quite a bit. His indifference to Kasumi's and Rea's antics are a good proof of that.
- Deal with the Devil: In Rea's route, after he resurfaces following Marie's bout of Grand Theft Me, he accepts power from Mercurius, forming Eine Faust Finale, something described as a hell equal to that of Gladsheim. This is described to have permanently altered him physically even after he calms down.
- Discard and Draw: After losing access to Marie's guillotine in Kei's route, he then takes Beatrice's Thrud Walklure.
- Double Take: After he is done talking to Rea and Lisa one evening, it takes him a moment to realize that Father Trifa suddenly appeared and that he is suddenly talking to him.
- Enemy Within: Upon unwittingly acquiring his Ahenerbe at the museum, Ren begins having nightmares that coincide with a series of decapitation murders in the city. This terrifies him to the point of actively avoiding sleep for a while, since he fears he's the killer and that he'll lose control over himself if he sleeps. However, while it's true that the murders are happening because his Ahenerbe is gathering souls, the true killer isn't him, but his childhood friend Kasumi.
- First-Person Smartass: Ren can be quite the smart alek in his narration of the story.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Invoked by the LDO to make Ren a good enough adversary to them. Ren goes from a normal high school student to an Immortal God capable of going head to head with Omniversal Beings
- Gravity Screw: When Eine Faust Finale is activated it starts to distort gravity around him, causing it to greatly increase in strength on top of the time manipulation it already does.
- Hades Shaded: After he awakens to Eine Faust Finale, a power born from his rage and hatred, his skin noticeably darkens. According to the text, this change in skin-tone remains even after he has calmed down. This trope gets subverted at the end of the same route were he ascends as a god and still retains the same darkened skin color.
- Heroic BSoD: :In any route when Rea's true nature is revealed to him, but he has a particularly bad one when Mercurius tells him of his true nature.
- Hidden Depths: Going by some of his narration, Ren is quite knowledgeable in French history.
- How Do I Shot Web?: He has to spend quite a bit of time to learn to use his relic at even a basic level, struggling to even hit a can on a bench.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Wears this when he faces against both Reinhard and Mercurius, in the Final Battle of Rea's Route. In contrast to the German military uniforms of his opponents, Ren is clad in a cross between Bodhisattva vestments and Samurai armor.
- It's All My Fault: Develops a guilt-complex in Rea's route, feeling that all the bad things that happened in the city where the fault of his own existence.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: All Ren wants is a normal life with his friends but the story forces him to abandon in it in order to play his part in Mercurius's grand opera.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: For all his rudeness, Ren cares deeply about his friends and desires to live a normal life with them.
- Madness Mantra: When he really looses it in Eine Faust Finale, he only seems to be able the shout "death" over and over again.
- Magic Pants: Upon entering Eine Faust Finale, all his clothes get destroyed except for his pants.
- Medium Awareness: Played for Laughs When Kasumi notices Marie being naked in his bed, Ren takes note of that the BGM switched to a much more sinister one.
- Merger of Souls: He was created by Mercurius from Lotus Reichhart's soul and part of his own soul. In the true ending of Rea's route, Ren completely purges Mercurius from his being and becomes a straight-up reincarnation of Lotus.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Once he achieves Atziluth degree, he himself exists as an ephemeral moment at all times. In effect, it makes it impossible to hurt him by most means since his current state is locked. Even Machina's all erasing fists are left useless against it.
- One-Hit Kill: His Ahnenerbe, Bois de Justice allows him to instantly kill almost anyone, including immortals, provided he hits the neck.
- Ordinary High-School Student: And he would love to remain that way, too bad Mercurius has other plans...
- Parental Abandonment: Ren assumes this for what happened to his parents for most of his life, up until he meets Mercurius.
- Physical God: By the end of Marie and Rea's routes.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: In Eine Faust Finale, his hair becomes red.
- Quality over Quantity: He has only one soul, but his own soul is so powerful so he is at least comparable to the LDO members who have thousands of souls.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers one to Spinne after having finally heard him out on his motivations:"In short, you are the small fry in their group. The hell makes you think your ugly face can spout that kinda shit, huh? You third-rate grunt. You're an idiot. A dumbass and a pussy."
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The literal blue to Shirou's red due to their Color Motif. Ren is reserved, keeps his head low and just wants to be left alone, Shirou is outgoing, reckless and wants a life full of unpredictability.
- Red Sky, Take Warning: In Eine Faust Finale.
- Reluctant Warrior: He decides to give up his normal life and fight the LDO for the sake of keeping his friends safe.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: His signature white scarf, and while he initially only wears to hide the scar on his neck, he eventually grows skilled enough that it counts as one.
- Super Speed: His first Beri'ah, Eine Faust Overture increases his speed by accelerating his own time. The version of it he get's after being empowered by Mercurius, Eine Faust Finale, slows down time around him on top of speeding up his own. In this state only Schrieber is able to out-speed him.
- Time Stands Still: His Atziluth, Res Novae - Also Sprach Zarathustra.
- Took a Level in Badass: His encounters with the LDO turn him from an everyday high-school student, to an Omniversal God.
- Too Much Alike: With Sakurai.
- Tsundere: Male example and another trait he shares with Kei. While he can be quite prickly on the surface, he can also be a surprisingly sweet guy underneath.
- Unstoppable Rage: Eine Faust Finale, again.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Early on he has somewhat of a phobia for blades. This later revealed to be because of his relation of blades to the memory of when he and Shirou killed Kasumi's father with a knife.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hair is blue.
Voiced by: Takeshi Maeda (Japanese), Austin Tindle (English)
Rune: ᚾ (Naudiz)
Major Arcana: Death
Zodiac Sign: ♏(Scorpio)
Ewigkeit Degree: Yetzirah
Ahnenerbe: Die Blutgräfin: Elizabeth Bathory's Diary (Kei route, Marie route), Qliphoth Bacikal (Rea route)
Ren's best friend since childhood. He is a genius skilled in all sorts of fields, but as a result, he finds life boring. As a constant thrill-seeker, he acts recklessly and even incited a brutal fight with Ren, ultimately breaking off their friendship. As a result, he vanished from school and has not been heard from since.
- The Ace: Charismatic, skilled with firearms, is incredibly intelligent (when he wants to be), is a quick learner and has the gift of Foreknowledge letting him know what's going to happen.
- Arch-Enemy: To Wilhelm.
- Allergic to Routine: Polar opposite to Ren, who wants to live a normal life. For the longest time, Shirou was willing to put up with it, but the story begins with him announcing his desire to break away from it, thus causing his and Ren's fight at the school rooftop.
- Anti-Magic: His Yetzirah.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: One of the CGs with him and Ellie have both of them pull out their guns in style
- Badass Longcoat: Rocks a pretty sweet, one-armed varient of one.
- Badass Normal: The only normal human who's ever defeated an Ewigkeit user.
- Battle Couple: He and Ellie often fight together and often in perfect sync.
- Birds of a Feather: With Ellie.
- Bizarre and Improbable Ballistics: It is mentioned by the narrative that the bullets he fires from his gun seem to defy basic laws of ballistics and physics.
- Blood Knight: Shirou lives for the thrills of the unknown, and mostly finds them in fights where he is hopeless outmatched. Subverted once his feeling of deja vu kicks in, he loses any of said joy.
- Combat Clairvoyance: His Foreknowledge allows him to predict his enemy's moves.
- Combat Pragmatist: He really doesn't give a shit about fighting fair and will resort to any dirty tricks when fighting the LDO.
- Déjà Vu: One of the most extreme examples. He suffers constant Foreknowledge. It later turns out that they are echoes of previous timelines.
- Empowered Badass Normal: When he gets Rusalka's Ahnenerbe.
- Feel No Pain: Rarely inconvenienced by pain.
- Foil: To Ren in nearly every single way.
- Ren wants to live an ordinary life, while Shirou craves for something new and unknown.
- Ren has four Love Interests that he chooses based on dialogue and decisions, Shirou always hooks up with Eri.
- Ren acquires his Ahnenerbe on his own, Shirou steals one.
- Gangsta Style: Ellie points out in ''Wehrwolf'', that this style dislocated his wrist.
- Guile Hero: Compensates for the immense disparity in power of his opponents by using his wits and plain guts to beat them.
- Guns Akimbo: He used it before, but, since Ren broke one of his guns, he doesn't do it onscreen.
- Hand Cannon: Wields a Desert Eagle as his firearm of choice. The narrative itself literally calls it a hand cannon.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In Rea's route he kills himself after his fistfight with Ren which releases the souls he had stolen from Wilhelm and opens the last swastika, fully bringing Reinhard into our realm and thus giving Ren the chance to put him down for good.
- Inciting Incident: His decision to cut all ties with Ren and pick a fight with him is what sets Ren onto the path of discovering Marie and falling into Mercurius's schemes.
- Instant Expert: For Ren, it took more than a week to learn to use Assiah and about the same time to learn Yetzirah, but Yusa learnt them instantly when he acquired Rusalka's Ahnenerbe.
- Japanese Delinquents: Lead the lowlives at "The Bottomless Pit" at some point before the story.
- Jumped at the Call: Contrasting Ren's reluctance with engaging with the LDO, Shirou is all too eager to fight these supernatural beings.
- Kill It Through Its Stomach: He has a very strong soul. In Marie's route, when Rusalka tried to absorb it, he tore up her from inside. In Rea's route, he's able to successfully escape Wilhelm's body after he dies fighting Schreiber.
- Kill It with Ice: Attempts to kill Wilhelm with a thermos filled with liquid nitrogen. It unfortunately doesn't work.
- The Lancer: Fits all of the classical criteria of the typical Lancer role while still playing with it in some interesting ways.
- Leitmotif: dumme Marionette
- Making the Choice for You: Ren was caught in a Sadistic Choice over wanting to kill Kasumi's father who was implied to not be a particularly good person, and risk ruining his ordinary life and inflicting him with the guilt over killing someone who had taken him in as a child. Shirou decides to make that decision for him by killing Kasumi's father instead of Ren and having help him cover up the murder.
- Mutual Kill: Manages to kill Wilhelm in Kasumi's route but ends up dying from his injuries. Something similar again happens to him and Ellie in Marie's route in their fight against Schreiber.
- Nerves of Steel: Those who witness and survive an encounter with the LDO are usually too awed by their overwhelming power to even speak, the first thing Shirou says after meeting them was complain that they ruined his car.
- Not So Different: Surprisingly, the person he has the most in common with, is Reinhard. Both are exceptionally talented yet bored with what their lives have become, not helping is that they both share foreknowledge of the world around them. However a violent encounter with a blue haired individual (Ren and Mercurius) leads them into desiring what they want the most. (For Reinhard, a Worthy Opponent for his worth and for Shirou, an opportunity for excitement and unpredictability.)
- Official Couple: Unique for a visual novel with multiple routes, he hooks up with Ellie. Rusalka even compares them to Bonnie and Clyde
- Plot Armor: One of the strangest cases where the character who has the plot armor is fully aware of it, desires to test it out in every possible way and forms the basis of Shirou's "devil may care" attitude.
- Rage Breaking Point: Usually pretty calm, except at one point during Kei's Route where he learns who Mercurius is.
- Reality Ensues: Sure, being a Badass Normal and a Genius Bruiser makes Shirou an incredibly crafty and gifted person but it doesn't really mean a whole lot when he's up against enemies who literally defy reality itself. In Kasumi's route, he only really gets a win over Wilhelm because of his various Vampire Weakness's caused by activating his Beri'ah and even then, he dies shortly afterwards. This however, does not apply when he gains (or rather, steals) his own Ahnenerbe which turns him into a truly dangerous force. Compare his fights with Wilhelm when he doesn't have an Ahnenerbe where he's constantly on the defensive to his fight with him in Marie's route where the two were nearly even, (keep in mind that Wilhelm has over 60 years of combat experience, has his Beri'ah activated that makes him even more powerful while also doubling said power when used at night to Shirou who had literally gotten his Ahnenerbe minutes before they fought again).
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers a vicious verbal smack-down to Ren at the end of Rea's route, picking apart his ideals and methods while both beat each-other senseless.
- Screw Destiny: Suffice to say, he doesn't like being told what to do, be it by man, god or destiny.
- Sharing a Body: After tearing out of Rusalka's body in Marie's route. He manages to take Ellies soul out with him. With her soul inhabiting his body. The same happens, when he leaves Wilhelm's dying body in Rea's route, where Kasumi is also saved in addition to Ellie.
- Smoking Is Cool: Even having a sprite with him smoking.
- The Southpaw: Wields his gun in his left hand. This is a trait he shares with Reinhard, and it's not a coincidence.
- Super Reflexes: Thanks to a mixture of powerful drugs and his constant Déjà Vu he is able to react and keep up with the far stronger and faster members of the LDO.
- Trick Bullet: Uses things such as bullets made of silver as various ways to deal with Wilhelm. After attaining Die Blutgräfin his bullet then get a magic effect added to them.
- Thrill Seeker: He jumps into Ren's war with LDO mainly for the excitement and thrills.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ren. This is intentional on Mercurius's part, who framed a relationship that was similar to his and Reinhard's.
Eri "Ellie" Honjou
Voiced by: Makino Yoshina (Japanese), Elizabeth Maxwell (English)
Daughter of a prestigious hospital's director and Shirou's partner in crime, the two met while Shirou was being treated at a hospital and planned to bust Shirou out before Ren woke up. She goes by the name Ellie to distance herself from her daylife. She is quick on her feet, possess a broad range of knowledge, and is brilliant both in brains and brawn. She resembles Shirou in that her self-destructive tendencies end up endangering those who keep her company.
Her sole joy lies in sharing in that transient excitement with Shirou. Although she realizes that kind of life might send her to an early grave she does not appear to care in the slightest
- Battle Couple: She often fights alongside Shirou, even losing her physical body doesn't stop her from fighting at his side.
- Birds of a Feather: Smart, wise-cracking, and likes messing with everyone around her. It's no wonder why she and Shirou are able to hit it off so easily.
- The Cracker: She can hack government computers.
- The Gadfly: Constantly enjoys getting a rise out of others. Ren, at one point, notes this to be one of the reasons why she's a perfect match for Shirou.
- Girl Friday: Provides a lot of essential help to Shirou's reckless endeavors.
- Gratuitous English: Occasionally spices up her sentences with a few English words.
- Hand Cannon: Uses the infamous .500 S&W Magnum as her main weapon.
- It Amused Me: Pretty much half of her antics can be summed up as her doing it simply cause she can.
- Living a Double Life: By her own admission. At day, she's Eri, a Proper Lady attending a prestigious, exclusive, all girls school in Suwahara. At night, she's Ellie, a Lad-ette residing with lowlifes in Suwahara's Wretched Hive, "The Bottomless Pit".
- The Medic: Justified, she's the daughter to a hospital's director and has shown a certain degree of skill in medical treatment, most often patching up Shirou after his latest escapades.
- Nerves of Steel: She never really loses her cool throughout the novel, with even Shirou hamming it up on occasion.
- Official Couple: With Shirou.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: In Marie's route after Shirou steals Die Blutgräfin from Rusalka, she is able to manifest herself with a physical body just like with Ren and Marie. Unlike them though, she uses this to fight alongside Shirou.
- Panty Thief. In Kei's route. She takes Kei's underwear as "payment" for her(Kei) medical treatment.
- Reading Lips: She can read lips. According to her, it's a self taught skill.
- Smoking Is Cool: As shown in her picture.
- This Page Will Self-Destruct: At one point she rigs Ren's phone to self destruct after they finished talking, just for shits and giggles.
- Troll: She really likes to mess with people, oftentimes in ways beyond what is usually considered sane or safe.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is teal colored.
Voiced by: Michiru Yuimoto (VN), Ayaka Fukuhara (2017 Anime) (Japanese), Madeleine Morris (English)
The head of the Kendo Club. Unyielding and masculine, she and Ren share a rather masochistic relationship. Unlike the infamous Ren, Kasumi is cheerful and sociable, her fame further amplified by her national-level fencing skills. She has a generally rough personality, but when it comes to Ren, she's prone to worrying and being fussy. She has a tendency to try and act the older sister from time to time, but she neither looks, nor feels the part.
- Angrish: When she spots that Marie is naked together with Ren in his bed she get so pissed off that she fails to form any sort of coherent sentences.
- The Atoner: In her own route, Rusalka sadistically tortures her and reminds her of all the murders she committed under Mercurius's influence. As a result, her goal becomes trying to free Ren from his struggles so that she can go to hell in peace.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's a direct descendant of Reinhard Heydrich and Lisa Brenner who inherited some Japanese genes down the line.
- Childhood Friend Romance: In her route.
- Color Failure: Suffers a variation were all of her colors invert after Ren tells her that he sent all of the magazines (including the dirty ones) she gave him during his stay at the hospital to her home, and in turn, her mother.
- Cool Old Lady: In Marie's epilogue.
- Curtains Match the Windows: She has auburn hair and brown eyes.
- Cuteness Overload: After hanging around Marie for a while and having given her clothes, Kasumi can't contain herself and suddenly glomps Marie and begins to snuggle her thinking that she is so cute.
- Deal with the Devil: In Sakurai's route, Mercurius offers to save Ren and her other friends as long as she agrees to his simple demand of birthing and raising a child. She agrees, but promises that he will be defeated eventually.
- Eating Contest: When she and Marie both have a jumbo sized parfait, she turns into a sort of one sided competition to try and out eat Marie even though she doesn't catch the drift. Marie ends up out eating her regardless and within the half an hour time limit while Kasumi fails regardless of her speed eating and ends up going home with a stomach ache.
- Fiery Redhead: Her hair is more auburn than red, but she fits the trope.
- Genki Girl: Extremely joyful, enthusiastic and hotheaded.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It's quite easy to make her lose her temper.
- Idiot Hair: Has one.
- I Want Grandkids: In the Distant Finale of Marie's route, she express her wish for the reincarnated versions of Shirou and Ellie to settle down and have kids.
- Locked Out of the Loop: In every route except for her own. She is aware of that people are hiding things from her and it is a constant source of frustration for her.
- Malicious Misnaming: Shirou calls her Bakasumi ('Twitsumi' in the English release).
- Orphanage of Love: In Marie's route epilogue, she has opened one of these where she ends up as the Parental Substitute of the reincarnated versions of Shirou, Ellie, Rea, Kei and Marie.
- Serial Killer: She's the one who commits the decapitation murders early in the visual novel. It's implied, however, that she's not in complete control of her actions, being driven to murder as a result of Mercurius's manipulations and her desire to be of use to Ren.
- Sole Survivor: In her own route, aside from a comatose Ren and a missing Ellie, she is all that's left from the cast. And in Marie's epilogue, she is the only member of the cast who has not reincarnated, besides Ren.
- Spit Take: Ends up spitting ice cream all over Ren after he compared their outing to a family one and Marie made an innocent comment asking of that would make the two of them married.
- Unwitting Pawn: Under Mercurius's influence, she becomes a Serial Killer who murders the citizens of Suwahara city at nighttime in order to nourish Ren's Ahenerbe. As a result, she unwittingly forces Ren right into the thick of conflict with the L.D.O and destroys his peaceful day-to-day existence.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She is afraid of heights. Surprisingly, Ren didn't point this out despite knowing her for long before she refused to go to the amusement park.
Theresia "Rea" Himuro
Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame (Japanese), Trina Nishimura (English)
Title: Sonnenkind II
Rune: ᛇ (Eihwaz)
Major Arcana: The Hermit
Zodiac Sign: ♍ (Virgo)
Ren's upperclassman. Just as popular as Kasumi. But while Kasumi's popularity can be categorized as more or less conventional, Rea is idolized by those of more peculiar tastes, as - just like Ren - she normally tends to keep her distance from those around her.
She exudes an aura of aloofness, her well-ordered features of mixed German and Japanese blood rarely betraying emotion. However, despite that initial impression, she is hardly the type to be cold to others. An "eccentric weirdo" might be a more apt way to describe her, all things considered. Incidentally, her home is also a church.
As a Sonnenkind, she acts as the heart of the Swastika which is also her Ahnenerbe.
- A-Cup Angst: Is somewhat self-conscious about her somewhat modest chest size.
- Apocalypse Maiden: She's a Sonnenkind note , which makes her a core part of the Alchemy of Gold that will sacrifice all those within Suwahara to allow Reinhard to reach godhood.
- Brutal Honesty: She's not one to sugarcoat her opinions.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's a direct descendant of Reinhard Heydrich and Lisa Brenner who inherited some Japanese genes down the line.
- Color-Coded Eyes: Her eyes are violet, and it signifies she's special.
- Cooldown Hug: Gives one to Ren to snap him out of his berserk state in her route
- Emotionless Girl: What she tried to play herself as in order to avoid getting attached to others since she was aware of her status as a human sacrifice. It fell apart soon after she met Ren.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She's had a crush on Ren before the story begins and comments that she's been in love with Ren before any of the girls have, though it's mostly harmless, she's content with seeing Ren happy for someone else.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Almost no one refers to her by her real name. She herself seem to dislike the name and tries to reinforce the nickname.
- Punny Name: A character called her "Rea Himmler", after nazi occultist Heinrich Himmler at one point, that foreshadows the reveal that she is a direct descendant of Reinhard Heydrich.
- Significant Birth Date: December the 25th, Christmas and the date that the Swastika is supposed to be completed.
- Spanner in the Works: In her route, she inadvertently sets up the fight between Shirou and Ren on the rooftop on whether or not to kill her to prevent the full summoning of Reinhard. The ensuing fight delights Mercurius so much that he forgets his entire plans and causes his and Reinhards ultimate demise.
- Stepford Snarker: Despite her sharp tongue, in her route it becomes clear that it is just a front to hide her severe insecurities stemming from her nature as a Sonnenkind.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has white hair.
Marguerite "Marie" Breuilh
Voiced by: Yui Sakakibara (Japanese), Jad Saxton (English)
A mysterious girl who appears in Ren's dreams. She is clearly not Japanese, but her background and true name are unknown. For all we know, she might be just a figment of the young man's imagination. A maiden of the twilight, she sings a loathed refrain with a pure, angelic smile. Could that scar across her neck have been left by a guillotine?
- All-Loving Heroine: Becomes this near the end of her and Rea routes, becoming the new benevolent Goddess with the desire "to embrace all".
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: At the end of her own and Rea's route she ascends and becomes the Goddess of the world.
- Big Eater: She manages to down a huge jumbo sized parfait with little issue in under half an hour. If Ren's narration is not meant to be hyperbolic, then that was over 6 kilos worth of desserts that she gulped down.
- Blank Slate: She starts the story with next to nothing resembling individual character. A big part of her arc as well as a crucial part of Mercurius' plans are for her to grow as an individual and have her own dreams and desires.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Downplayed, she starts out fine with waking up next to Ren naked, but once Marie begins to develop feelings for him, her modesty increases as well. In her and Rea's route, when Ren begins checking up on her for any kind of damage, Marie starts getting embarrassed over Ren checking up on her body.
- Character Tics: In the anime adaptation she is shown of having a habit of walking on tiptoes when barefoot.
- The Chosen One: Mercurius wants her to succeed him as God, and everything he did was to mature her enough to reach this point.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror: Due to being born underneath the guillotine and having been surrounded by death all her life she sees nothing wrong with decapitating people left and right as it is as natural as breathing to her. Even at her own execution she saw nothing wrong with it and calmly let let herself be killed.
- Doom Magnet: Due to her Guillotine curse, anyone who makes contact with her ends up beheaded. Only Ren is immune, and her curse wears off whenever he's around her.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Kasumi dresses her up in some Gothic lolita clothes had. She didn't think she herself would look good in them and that they might look better on a foreigner.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: She is is a girl that has been trapped as a ghost in an alternate realm for almost 150 years, so things of the modern world kinda sticks out for her.
- Grand Theft Me: In Rea's route she temporarily takes over Ren's body to fight the L.D.O. commanders. Unfortunately, she doesn't do any better against them and only ends up causing him further mental stress.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Historical Domain Character: Of a sort. Marguerite Breuilh is the subject of a Breton urban legend, "L'enfant de la perdition" (The Child of Retribution in English), reported by French author Paul Féval. It can be read in English here.
- Idiot Hair: Has a prominent cowlick.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: One reason Mercurius was so enamored by her was her complete lack of impurity despite her less than stellar life.
- Inn Between the Worlds: The Twilight Beach is her Gudou realm and is a place based on a beach from her home town of Saint-Malo. And as all Gudou realms exists outside of the Thrones influence, beyond creation. Ren occasionally visits the place in his dreams while Mercurius comes and goes as he pleases. It also acts as the scene for the final duel between Ren and Reinhard in her own route.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: At first she didn't felt shame in being naked in Ren's presence, but after spending enough time with him, she develops modesty.
- Magical Incantation:
Amantes Amantes - Omnia Vincit Amor (May all your wishes find fruition in bliss)
- Downplayed, when she calls on her Atziluth at the end of Rea's route, she only calls on its name but not the full incantation.
- While she doesn't have a full incantation of her own in the novel, she does borrow and have voicelines for both "Eine Faust Overture" and "Res novae Also Sprach Zarathustra".
- Mundane Luxury: Given her background and the fact that she is from a completely different time period, it makes sense that things as simple as watching the skyline out of a window is so awe inspiring to her.
- Mundane Object Amazement: She is amazed by things such as binoculars and parfaits. Makes sense given that she is from a completely different time period.
- Only I Can Kill Him: She's the only person in the novel who can kill Mercurius. Reinhard and Ren can't do this since they are his parts, even though Reinhard as Mercurius' Apoptosis and Ren in Three Colours Route are equal to him.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Even after death her spirit still lingers, bound to the Twilight Beach and the Bois de Justice. After Ren accepts his Ahenerbe she is able to manifest a physical body and can appear and disappear at will.
- Our Gods Are Different: According to the glossary in Interview with Kaziklu Bey, Marie is a full blown Transcendence God, also known as a Gudou God, at the start of the story. Mercurius' plot is basically to allow her to gain awareness of those around herself in order to change her desire from a self centered one to one that encompasses the rest of reality and allow her to be accepted by the Throne.
- The Pollyanna: Even as she faced endless scorn from her fellow man, she remained ever unfazed by it. In fact, she is downright unable to grasp the concept of sorrow.
- Pure Is Not Good: Early on she is described as pure without equal, yet it is also this purity that allows her to endlessly kill people without intent yet not see anything wrong with it.
- Rapunzel Hair: It goes past her hips.
- Series Fauxnale:Her route was the finale of the original ~Also Sprach Zarathustra~ visual novel, providing a definitive final battle against Reinhard Heydrich as well as showing how Mercurius succeeded in overwriting the old world of foreknowledge. It is also the route that leads into Kajiri Kamui Kagura. However, the later release, ~Acta est Fabula~ added in Rea's route, which expands upon the motivations of Mercurius as well as making him a direct participant in the final battle. Lastly, it also revealed the true origins and identity of the protagonist, Ren Fujii.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Initially, she was shunned by people of Saint-Malo as a result of her fathers actions during the revolution. This changed of course when her curse became known.
- Walking Spoiler
- What Is This Feeling?: When Ren confronts Reinhard at the bridge she start to feel some strange sensation she has never felt before. Ren notes that this sensation is fear and that she is afraid of Reinhard. This serves as the trigger for her developing the rest of her emotions and allowing her and Ren's power to grow exponentially.