open/close all folders
Hiryu Tsurugi/Change Dragon
Hiryū Tsurugi/Change Dragon | Actor: Haruki Hamada
The leader of the team. A star baseball pitcher with the trademark technique Dragon Ball
. Or that
.). He tends to get emotionally invested in cases he's involved.
- Chick Magnet: Despite not even trying, he has the most girls to link with. Mostly with Nana, but he's also teased with Sayaka, and later developing links with Shiima after her HeelFace Turn.
- There's also character-of-the-day Ira, an alien childhood friend of his played by Yoko Nakamura (who would go on to play Yellow Flash the following year).
- Determinator: Big time! He even broke chains used to restrict him by Ahames, with pure determination.
- Dynamic Entry: DRAGON KICK!
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Love to give these (generally preceded by a punch) to both allies and enemies.
- Hot-Blooded: Can be very passionate about their missions. On the other hand, he have tendency to criticize his teamates when they do the same. Hayate even lampshades it.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Has the Dragon Ball, Dragon Kick, as well the most link with the aliens.
- The Leader: Of the Changeman.
- Our Dragons Are Different: His motif is the Dragon.
- Ship Tease: With Sayaka in Episode 19, where he's the only one to have complete faith in her inventing ability and stays with her to help her test her anti-gravity device. Also with Shima and (teenager) Nana.
- Shock and Awe: Dragon Thunder
- Standardized Leader: He's pretty basic as Sentai leaders go.
- The Stoic: Played with. He's prone to goof around with his friends when he's not in duty, but he's generally the most serious about to carry a mission.
Shou Hayate/Change Griffon
Shō Hayate/Change Griffon | Actor: Kazuoki Takahashi
The sub-leader of the team, as well as Handsome Lech
, whose trademark style is to comb his hair, sometimes in the middle of battle
. At first joining the army just to get the girls, he develops from it.
- Butt-Monkey: Is usually the butt-end of light-hearted mistreatment.
- Casanova Wannabe: Many of his focused episodes are about him trying to woo a girl and failing.
- Magma Man: Griffon Magma Galaxy
- Handsome Lech: And how. He even originally joined the army to get more women.
- Hot-Blooded: Not as much as Tsurugi, but he have that bad sometimes.
- The Lancer: He's the team second-in-command, complete with a cool and cocky personality to contrast Tsurugi's passion and courageousness.
- Our Gryphons Are Different: Griffons are his motif.
Yuma Ozora/Change Pegasus
Yūma Ōzora/Change Pegasus | Actor: Shiro Izumi
Probably the youngest of the team as well as a weapon expert. Is pretty good at handling children and animals, but has the most fragile heart, causing him to get a mental breakdown at one point. Is a horrid singer
- Dreadful Musician: Ergh... To be fair, it helps against a Monster of the Week, though.
- The Heart: He's the most youthful of the team, is a Friend to All Children and is usually the first to form bonds with the lifeforms the team encounters.
- Heroic BSoD: At one point when they lost their power, he thought he got called by Earth Power, despite his friends convincing him otherwise. Turns out they're right, proving that he got a mental breakdown.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Alongside his ability to get along well with kids and animals, he's the most fragile mentally, falling to Heroic BSoD at one point.
- Manly Man and Sensitive Guy: The Sensitive Guy to Shou's Manly Man.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Feminine Boy to Mai's Masculine Girl.
- One of the Kids: Not too childish, but yeah.
- Pegasus: His Changeman motif.
- Reverse Grip: How he holds his Change Sword.
- Shock and Awe: Pegasus Inazuma Spark
- The Smart Guy: Despite his fragile personality, he is a weapon expert.
Sayaka Nagisa/Change Mermaid
Sayaka Nagisa/Change Mermaid | Actress: Hiroko Nishimoto
The brain of the Earth Defense Force and a sticker to etiquette and manners, pretty much a 'Miss Perfect'. She's a motherly type and like Tsurugi, tends to get involved emotionally in her missions. Usually teams up with Mai.
- The Chick: By virtue of being the girly girl to Mais tomboy.
- Making a Splash: Mermaid Typhoon Wave and Mermaid Big Wave.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Her motif is the mermaid.
- Panty Shot: Thanks to her rather short skirt.
- Ship Tease: She and Tsurugi get along rather well, leading the rest of the team to speculate and tease them about being a couple. It's especially hinted at in Episode 19, where Tsurugi is the only person to have complete faith in her after her invention initially failed, even staying with her to help her continue test it.
- The Smart Girl: Is a genius inventor and computer programmer, as well as the team strategist. Not only is she the obvious 'brain', but she keeps her emotions more in check.
- The Strategist: She's often the one to come up with the way to defeat the Space Beast.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Mai's Tomboy.
- Water Is Womanly: A motherly, polite young woman with water moves and a mermaid motif. She's contrasted as the Girly Girl to the fire-using Mai's Tomboy.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Only appearing once, but she did sucker Mai once with faking a cry.
- Wrench Wench: She's the team inventor and often supplies her teammates with new gadgets.
- Yamato Nadeshiko / Proper Lady: Etiquette, motherly, kind, is said to be a good mother (she posed as a mother in Episode 12 and did such a good job of it that even the enemies were fooled).
Mai Tsubasa/Change Phoenix
Mai Tsubasa/Change Phoenix | Actress: Mai Ooishi
Tomboyish, light-hearted officer, who tends to get underestimated due to her sex. She's best friends with Sayaka even though sometimes her "prim and proper" feel kinda gets on her nerves.
Commander Yui Ibuki | Actor: Jun Fujimaki
- Big Good: He's the head of the Dengeki task force and the main benefactor of the Changemen.
- Gender-Blender Name: Yui and Ibuki are most commonly used for female names. This commander on the other hand is a very hardass and manly commander.
- Human Alien: He's actually an alien in disguise as a human.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He may be a hardass and imposes some pretty tough training measures, but he truly cares for the Changemen and wants to best prep them to fight the Gozma.
Nana | Actress: Miyako Hayakawa (child), Tokie Shibata (teen)
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: In her first appearances, she was a child, but once Ahames absorbs the Rigelian Aura from her, she becomes a teenager and stays that way for the rest of the series.
Great Star League Gozma
- The Empire: They've conquered and subjugated many planets before coming to Earth.
- Evil Will Fail: Keeping your subordinates in line through fear of their lives and their loved ones is not an efficient way to ensure loyalty, and most of the Gozma generals end up defecting by the end.
- Mooks: Hidrer Soldiers, creatures hatched from eggs that serve as the basic ground force of the Gozma.
- Punch-Clock Villains: Pretty much everyone in Gozma is only serving Bazoo to keep him from destroying their home planets and guard their loved ones.
- Trapped in Villainy: Defying Bazoo is punishable by death, and most likely the destruction of your home planet as well.
Star King Bazoo
Star King Bazoo | Voice actor: Seizo Kato
- Bad Boss: Bazoo keeps his subordinates in line by not only threatening them but their home planets, and is perfectly fine with sacrificing them or forcibly mutating them into Space Beasts. Add bad parenting to the list, since he didn't thought twice about dispose of his adoptive son the moment he discovered Sayaka would Ikarus' intented bride.
- Big Bad: The ruler of the Gozma and the one commanding their invasions of planets.
- Dark Lord on Life Support: He appears as an immobile blue torso hooked up to machinery. Subverted, his appearance is actually an illusion created by his true Planet Eater form.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: How he goes out. The Changemen in Change Robo pierce his core and fly away as Gozma Star explodes.
- Eldritch Abomination: He's actually a planet-like entity with vast supernatural powers that devours other planets, with his initial form being an illusion.
- Eldritch Location: His true form, the desolate Gozma Star. It's not initially apparent until the Gozma actually make their way to his core, at which point his truly Bizarre Alien Biology is revealed.
- Galactic Conqueror: Has invaded numerous planets in the past and has his sights set on Earth next. Subverted, Bazoo doesn't conquer planets, he eats them. The only reason he leaves some planets alive is so he can hold them for ransom to get their inhabitants to serve in his army.
- Genius Loci: His true form is the planet the Changeman thought he was on, Gozma Star.
- I'm a Humanitarian: A Planet Eater who IS a planet.
- Knight of Cerebus: While Changeman was already Darker and Edgier from the beginning, in terms of the Sentai franchise as a whole Bazoo is much more remorseless, cruel and ruthless than most of the villains that came before him.
- Planet Eater: Devours planets for sustenance.
- Pragmatic Villainy: While he is an incredibly brutal Bad Boss who frequently sacrifices his own men, Bazoo is willing to spare some of his more important generals and even forgive them for plotting against him if they prove themselves useful enough, as shown with Ahames and Giluke.
- Shadow Dictator: While Bazoo appears frequently, it's always as an apparition and he never appears in person. That's because his supposed appearance is an illusion and not his true form at all.
- Walking Spoiler: While Bazoo is there from the very beginning, his true nature and motives are a massive plot twist.
- You Have Failed Me: After Giluke fails to harness the power of the Rigel Aura and is defeated badly by the Changemen, Bazoo disposes of him by having him thrown into a black hole.
General Guiluke | Actor: Shohei Yamamoto
- Bad Boss: While not as bad as Bazoo, Giluke still isn't above sacrificing his subordinates and forcing them to become Space Beasts.
- Came Back Strong: After being seemingly disposed of by Bazoo, he returns as a ghost before fully resurrecting himself as the powerful Super Giluke.
- The Dog Bites Back: He was betrayed by Ahames a number of times before she finally usurps his place as Gozma's commander. This even results in his death. However, he Came Back Strong, becomes Super Giluke absorbing a second wind from the Aura Rigel and...let's say Bazoo is more sympathetic to him after that.
- The Dragon: The lead commander of the Gozma invasion and the one in charge of the other generals taking part in it. He's replaced by Ahames, but eventually comes back to his previous ocupation.
- Co-Dragons: Once Ahames arrives on the Gozmard, Giluke and her end up on equal footing as Bazoo's top two henchmen.
- The Heavy: While Bazoo floats around in space and barks orders and threats, it's Giluke most of the time who supervises the Evil Plan and the deployment of the Space Beast.
- Not Quite Dead: After being beaten by the Changeman and disposed of by Bazoo, Giluke manages to survive by fusing with a Space Beast in a space graveyard to become Ghost Giluke.
- One-Winged Angel: As a final effort to defeat the Changemen and conquer Earth, Giluke mutates himself into the Space Beast Girath.
- Sixth Ranger: As Super Giluke.
- The Starscream: In the past he and Ahames plotted to overthrow Bazoo, but their attempt failed. He becomes fiercely loyal to Bazoo after becomes Super Giluke.
Adjutant Booba | Actor: Yoshinori Okamoto
- Berserk Button: Harming any members of his crew is one for him. When Jill dies because of Gozma, he becomes so outraged he actually fights Giluke before Bazoo breaks them up.
- The Brute: He's the main muscle of the Gozma.
- Defector from Decadence: When Bazoo and Giluke begin using their own subordinates to create Space Beasts, Booba defects and helps save Shiima from being sacrificed for one of their schemes.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Dies fighting his rival in a duel to the death after having saved the one living person he still cared about from Gozma's clutches. He wouldn't have it any other way.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He gradually abhors the Bad Boss tactics of Bazoo and Giluke. After they concoct a scheme that involves sacrificing Shiima, Booba finally has enough and defects to help save her.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He's A Father to His Men in his own space pirate crew, loved dearly the female space pirate Jill, his former partner, and also cares for his fellow lieutenant Shiima.
- Genius Bruiser: While he is The Brute, Booba is absolutely NOT Dumb Muscle and displays a good sense of cunning and quick tactics in battle.
- Noble Demon: Played with. While he is a former space pirate not above to play dirty and officer of a tyrannical galactic army, Booba is one of the most moral and honorable members of the Gozma.
- No Place for Me There: Somewhat. After saving Shiima, with no place turn to return and all of his allies dead, Booba opts for a proper death in combat against his old rival Change Dragon.
- The Rival: Ends up developing a rivalry with Tsurugi.
- Space Pirate: Used to be one, before being forced to serve Bazoo. It's later shown he regrets having to leave the life.
Adjutant Shiima | Actress: Kana Fujieda; male voice by: Michiro Iida
- Dark Chick: Of the Gozma, as their feminine officer.
- Fallen Princess: Is actually the princess of the planet Amanga before being forced to serve as one of the Gozma generals.
- HeelFace Turn: After Booba removes Bazoo's brainwashing on her, Shiima is quick to join the Earth Defense Force in fighting against Bazoo.
- Larynx Dissonance: Has a very deep male voice thanks to Bazoo's mind conditioning on her. She loses it after turning good.
- Kick Chick: In close combat, many of her moves involves kicks.
Queen Ahames | Actress: Fukumi Kuroda
- Alas, Poor Villain: While she was a pretty cruel villain, she has an absolutely tragic final fate, being forcibly turned into a Space Beast and losing her last grip of sanity after realizing her homeworld is no more before dying in the explosion of the EDF base.
- Ax-Crazy: She goes completely psychotic during her final attack on the EDF base.
- Co-Dragons: With Giluke later on, both serving as Bazoo's main lead henchmen.
- Despair Event Horizon: Learning that Bazoo likely destroyed her home planet of Amazo long ago absolutely sends her over the edge.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: She was originally queen of planet Amazo, and is also an incredibly formidable warrior.
- Light Is Not Good: She has a generally white color scheme, as well as bright silver battle armor after absorbing the Rigel aura, and is one of the most merciless and cruel generals of the Gozma.
- Sanity Slippage: Being turned into a Space Beast and finding out the Awful Truth about her home planet sends her into complete Ax-Crazy territory.
- Sixth Ranger: Joins the Gozma forces a little below halfway through, before graduating to The Dragon. Giluke becomes the sixth ranger after upgrading himself into Super Giluke.
- Villainous Breakdown: Episode 53 is a long one for her. After being mutated into a Space Beast, Ahames manages to split from her transformation through sheer Ax Crazyness and, upon realizing Bazoo likely destroyed Amazo long ago, devolves into delusional ranting for Bazoo to restore Amazo before dying in the destruction of the EDF base.
Gator | Voice actor: Hiroshi Masuoka
- Beware the Silly Ones: You just DON'T WANT to threat his family.
- Butt-Monkey: He gets no respect from the other Gozma commanders.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Even Gator can have some fight on him when necessary. The final episodes post HeelFace Turn exemplifies that.
- Evil Genius: He's the one in charge of driving the Gozmard.
- Gasshole: One of his attacks involve gassing the enemy.
- HeelFace Turn: After his wife becomes pregnant with his second child, Gator ultimately defects from the Gozma so he could see his daughter's birth.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Even compared to the other Gozma lieutenants, he has almost no villainous traits and is only serving them out of obligation to his people.