The Slayer of Demons
One of the brave warriors who travels to Boletaria in order to free it from or join forces with the Old One.
- Complete Immortality: Has a Nexial Binding attached to them after they die in the tutorial, binding them to the Nexus. They become a Monumental should the Maiden be allowed to lull the Old One back to sleep.
- Cosmic Keystone: One of the endings for the player, taking the place of The Monumental.
- Determinator: Nothing will stop the slayer of demons from uncovering the mystery in Boletaria.
- Heroic Mime: Aside from crying in pain, the player character doesn't really say anything. Although talking to NPCs seems to imply him/her talking.
- He Who Fights Monsters: In order to become more powerful and better able to fight the demons, the protagonist has to acquire and manipulate souls, an act that effectively makes him/her more demonic in nature. And one of the endings has the protagonist take Allant's place as the Old One's emissary.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: To a point. There is a max weight limit for your inventory.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: All the classes start out with some kind of shield; they're pretty much essential to survival.
- Protagonist Without a Past: Aside from being stuck in the Nexus, nothing about the protagonist's history is explained. Although the class that they start as gives them a very simplistic origin, based on their equipment loadout.
The Maiden in Black
- Voiced by: Evetta Muradasilova
The Maiden in Black is said to have once been one of the most powerful Demons in existence. Her ability to harness and manipulate the souls of the player-character certainly seems interesting. She maintains a direct communion with the Old One, and is even able to lull it back to sleep should the character accept her offer, making her considerably more powerful than it.
- And I Must Scream: She is nigh immortal and has spent millenia bound to the Nexus, unable to leave.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She has a pretty sinister moniker and an overall creepy vibe, and happens to be one of the most powerful demons around. However, she is the only one who can lull the Old One back to sleep, and wants nothing more than to do so.
- Does Not Like Shoes: The Maiden is always barefoot.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Blackhaired, and her skin is ghostly white to highlight her inhumanity and otherworldly presence.
- Extreme Doormat:
- She never fights back, and if you kill her, her reaction after getting better will be to tearfully apologize to you for not staying dead.
- There may be a reason for this. If you agree to the idea that the Old One is nothing more than a mere child, and that the Maiden in Black is one of the most powerful demons, then it's possible that she's something of a mother to the Old One. If so, then it means she not only might be resisting killing him, but she feels responsible for the whole mess in the first place, feeling you would be very right to get mad at her.
- Eye Scream: Her eyes are caked over in wax.
- Gameplay Ally Immortality: Killing her will only cause the Nexial Binding around her right ankle to resurrect her after a few seconds, and she doesn't become hostile toward you, unlike the other NPCs you can attack.
- Humanoid Abomination: Very human in appearance save for her lack of eyes, but is also the oldest demon in existence.
- Mysterious Waif: She's a petite woman that can increase the Demon Slayer's powers by manipulating souls and is tied to The Old One.
- Really 700 Years Old: She is the oldest Demon in existence, even older than the Old One, and far more powerful too.
- Sorry I Fell on Your Fist: If you kill her, the Nexial Binding will revive her instantly, and she will tearfully apologize for not dying.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Very soothing, to be sure, but pretty much impossible to place...
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: The Maiden in Black's accent and manner of speaking evokes Shakespearean dialect.
- Voiced by: Aditi Tanna
The Monumental is the last surviving harbinger of its kind. They are a vessel-race endowed only with prophetic knowledge and lacking all consequence of emotion or personal thought. It seeks to aid the adventurer into lulling the Old One back to sleep.
- Ambiguous Gender: In both looks and voice.
- Big Good: Keeps the universe in balance and is the one who leads the Player Character to the Nexus.
- But Thou Must!: When the Monumental tells you its plan to defeat the Old One, you get to decline to helping it. It then points out that your only other option is staying in the Nexus for all eternity, slowly withering away.
- Cosmic Keystone: The Monumental is responsible for maintaining the existence of the universe.
- Gameplay Ally Immortality: The Monumental is the only NPC that reacts to being attacked without taking damage, and it chides you for wasting your energy. If you choose to lull the Old One back to sleep, it dies off-screen and you become a Monumental in its place.
- Not So Stoic: Despite Monumentals being stated to lack emotion, it's not above laughing at you should you refuse to help mend the world.
- The Stoic: The Monumentals are described as lacking emotion.
- Really 700 Years Old: The Monumental is extremely old, having spent centuries maintaining its duty.