Main Characters (Tanjiro Kamado | Zenitsu Agatsuma) | Demon Slayer Corps (Hashira | Yoriichi Tsugikuni) | Demons (Muzan Kibutsuji | Twelve Kizuki: Upper Ranks (Kokushibo | Akaza), Lower Ranks) | Civilians | Demon Slayer Academy
A different take on the Demon Slayer universe set in motion by the original author, it transplants the cast to modern times, living through normal daily situations instead of battles to the death, with that the whole cast is alive and well in this world, where the once demons are now just mere human weirdos if they were part of the really evil bunch, with some tragic demons being outright good humans in here. Demon Slayer Academy’s plot is usually given as extras at the end of every manga volume, but some special chapters were made specifically for other publications, like the series’ Light Novels.
The anime adapts those events usually as extras at the end of certain episodes; the Valentines Day event, however, originally contained in Flower of Happiness, was originally shown in an Aniplex online streaming event in February, 14th, 2021.
In July 5th, 2021 an official spin-off serial manga was announced in Weekly Shounen Jump; this one authored and drawn by Natsuki Hokami, beginning publication on Saikyo Jump magazine in August, 2021.
- Adaptational Species Change: With the exception of Hantengu, his clones, and Gyokko, all the demons are now just regular humans. That being said, many retain their demonic traits from slit pupils, facial markings, to literally just using the same character design in civilian clothing.
- Age Lift:
- When transferring Ume (Daki) and Gyutaro to this universe Gotouge gave a new spin for the siblings' ages as a humans, in here Ume is 16 years old and Gyutaro is 18 years old; in the main series Ume is only said to be 13 years old before a tragedy happened and she becomes a demon along with her brother, and Gyutaro's age is never given.
- In addition all the demons, who are now just regular humans, even if some don't look like humans, have reasonable ages.
- Sabito is a middle school student while Giyu is an adult, despite both being around the same age in the main timeline. Murata as well, is one of the high school students despite being in his early twenties, a final selection colleague with Giyu and Sabito, in the main timeline.
- Denser and Wackier: With the Demon Slayer Academy universe being devoid of any serious events and drama found in the main series, the setting was left completely free to focus and expand on the comical bits present in the original source; that way the Academy short segments are pure slice of life and comedy, taken even further by the official spin-off turning it into a full comedy series aimed at little children.
- High School AU: The basic premise, although the academy also has a middle school section.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Kyogai was one of the very first revealed characters for this alternate setting, he oddly sticks out as retaining his demonic appearance despite being one of the teachers, as more and more characters were unveiled for this alternate take, it was shown all demons in the mainline series are just humans in the Academy (save Hatengu and Gyokko which are ghosts and urban legends), at the end Kyogai remained the odd one out.
- Killed Off for Real: Despite many characters being alive and well in this alternate world, the Kamado family is only as complete as they used to be at the beginning of the mainline series; it is mentioned offhandedly that Tanjiro values his hanafuda earrings as a precious keepsake from his late father Tanjuro, to the point of ignoring school regulations by wearing them in academy grounds. In addition Kotoha is nowhere to be seen with Inosuke living with the old lady who offered him shelter after the Tsuzumi Mansion Arc, implying she's no longer in the picture either.
- Lighter and Softer: The world of Demon Slayer Academy is specifically made to be as lighter as possible compared to its main counterpart, the modern setting is focused on peaceful daily lives of school students, the school staff and some unique citizens; not a hint of tragedy, pain and horror from the mainline series is found in it, series author Gotouge Koyoharu really wanted a happier environment for the characters, where even some of the evil demons can be good humans in it, and even those who remain evil are evidently the kind of evil presented in stories for little children, not quite terrifying and sometimes quite comical. The actual spin-off manga series based in the Demon Slayer Academy original shorts is even lighter, featuring Super-Deformed designs and aimed at a younger demographic than the main series.
- Slice of Life: The Gakuen/Academy universe, originally created by the series author Gotoge Koyoharu as short segments at the end of each manga volume, transplanting the original cast into a modern world without any drama or fighting, just teens living their school lives and interacting with some wacky citizens. These shorts were adapted into slightly longer shorts for the anime adaptation, and eventually a full spin-off manga was made by Natsuki Hokami.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Because of being Lighter and Softer, many of the posthumous characters are present and alive. In addition multiple characters who have died are now present and alive. Some are even better off then they were in the main story (such as Kanae and Hakuji/Akaza).
- Took a Level in Kindness: Several of the demon have gotten significantly less cruel and evil, most notably Susamaru who went from being a sadistic antagonist to a rather aggressive but friendly school girl. Other demons are simply inconveniences such as Enmu, Gyokko, and Hantengu. Even Muzan, who went from a mass murdering narcissist obsessed with immortality and invulnerability to an evil politician trying to take over Japan.
Tanjiro KamadoThe eldest sibling of a family that runs a bakery, Tanjiro is a diligent young man who’s beloved by all neighbors, and is well respected at school.
- Honor Before Reason: He refuses to conform to the dress code and take off his earrings, because they're a gift from his father.
Nezuko KamadoTanjiro’s younger sister and the second eldest sibling of their family, Nezuko is a charming girl that is always seen with french bread on her mouth, comically impairing her speech.
Zenitsu AgatsumaThe emotional rollercoaster at school, Zenitsu is part of the Public Morals Committee, tasked with keeping tabs on students following the academy’s dress code and general guidance. However, he is more worried about being popular with girls, desperately wanting to score a girlfriend.
- Cassandra Truth: Giyu never believes him about his blonde hair being his natural hair color.
- Shipper on Deck: He is a supporter of Mitsuri and Obanai getting together, since their situation reminds him of his situation with Nezuko.
Inosuke HashibiraThe town’s popular living attraction, Inosuke was found living in the mountains by himself for a long time, this made him a local news sensation, being seen as a case of real-life imitating fiction.
Sumi Nakahara, Kiyo Terauchi, and Naho TakadaThree girls who are very fond of their senpai Shinobu, they are trying to create a Pharmaceutical Research Club for middle schoolers.
Muichiro and Yuichiro TokitoThe prodigy twins, Muichiro and Yuichiro are part of the Shogi Club and are already professional players. Despite practicing a sport that doesn’t require physical strength, the twins are secretly very strong, but aren’t aware of it, but they made use of their innate abilities by catching a pervert on a train once. They are absurdly popular with girls, but they don’t care much about that, preferring to live in tranquility.
- Teen Genius: They are middle schoolers, but are good enough to understand high school level subjects.
MakomoA member of the Wind Instruments club and a friend of Nezuko. She's often convincing Nezuko to go with her to look for legends and ghosts.
Genya ShinazugawaMember of the shooting club, Genya is a masterful sharpshooter but sucks at mathematics and the latter is the source of his frustration. Genya wants his big brother to compliment him, but Sanemi doesn’t care about his little brother’s shooting as he wants Genya to be good at math. One time, Sanemi even ripped Genya’s shooting champ certificate to show how much nothing but math is important to him. Genya’s hairstyle is against the school’s regulations, but it is believed Genya can read the wind to aim better with it, so he is given special permission to keep it.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: Genya sucks at math and it has caused a lot of problems for him, considering how seriously his older brother takes math. He's okay at most subjects, but mathematics really stumps him. Tokito notes that a lot of it is him doing not as well on timed tests and his own impatience causing him to make mistakes.
Koyuki SoyamaMember of the handicrafts club whose family owns a dojo. Is married to Hakuji after a childhood marriage promise. Her nickname is Hime.
Kanao TsuyuriThe third Kocho sister, Kanao was adopted by the Kocho family and follows their line of being on the spotlight as well, Kanao is part of the Flower Arranging Club despite being invited to join on every other club available, for she has great athletic skills and reflexes, but Kanao feels her duty lies with the Flower Arranging Club.
- Academic Athlete: She is noted to be gifted in both athletics and academics, just like her elder sisters.
- Happily Adopted: By the Kocho family, who she loves.
- Important Hair Accessory: Like in canon, she greatly values the butterfly hairpin Kanae gave her. In one chapter, she practically has a panic attack after she losses it.
Aoi KanzakiMember of the Flower Arranging Club, Aoi's family works in a restaurant and she often helps them out.
Ume ShabanaGyutaro’s younger sister, a rowdy girl who takes part with her brother in delinquent behavior, she is extremely popular for her beauty, once scoring a record of being confessed to 20 times in a single day. Ume can’t stand Nezuko and is often butting heads with her.
- Dude Magnet: She is regarded as one of the most beautiful women at the academy and was confessed to 20 times in a single day.
- Odd Friendship: With Kanao. They bonded over acquiring money for a music box Ume wanted and she considers Kanao one of the only people beautiful enough for her to actually remember them.
- Proud Beauty: She takes quite a bit of pride in her looks and how popular she is with men.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Her dynamic with Nezuko. The two can't stand each other and but heads.
OzakiThe class president of the Sansho class and a member of the Tennis club.
MurataThe vice-president of the Sansho class and a member of the soccer club. He isn't very popular with girls.
Shinobu KochoOne of the very popular students in the Academy, Shinobu is seen as very beautiful and intelligent, she is part of two clubs: the Pharmaceutical Research Club and Fishing Club. She is very proficient at both due winning several interhighs under their banner. She's on friendly terms with the Flower Arranging Club as their clubs are close by.
- Academic Athlete: She a brilliant chemist and a gifted athlete.
- Giver of Lame Names: The one thing she isn't good at is naming thing, for example, she wanted to name a bird black squid.
- Red Baron: She was given the nickname "Poison Princess" by her pears.
Susa MaruOne of the academy’s popular beauties, president of the volleyball club. In this setting "Susa" and "Maru" are separate names, Maru is her name, Susa is the family name. She's one of Muzan's spies.
- The Mole: One of Muzan's many spies.
- Name Order Confusion: Due her original single demon name, Susamaru, oddly being separated into two for this alternate world: Susa (family name) and Maru (given name), the western reading for her full name is the bizarre sounding Maru Susa, ordered as such in the official English release, showing this gag was definitely made with only japanese in mind.
- Worthy Opponent: She is one of the many attempting to recruit Kanao to their club, out of respect for her skills and reflexes.
YahabaSenior in the same class as Susa Maru, Yahaba is the president of the Archery Club. His family runs a Tofu Shop.
Gyutaro ShabanaUme’s older brother, a very notorious delinquent, always causing trouble around has earned him quite the infamy, he is very protective of his sister. Gyutaro can’t stand Tanjiro and is often trying to clash with him.
Hakuji SoyamaMember of the handicrafts club. He made a childhood promise to marry Koyuki because they're neighbors and their parents agreed to it, they're married. He's planned to inherit Koyuki's family dojo. His nickname is Hakuji-dono.
Kaigaku InadamaOne of Kibutsuji's spies sent to oversee the Academy, seems like a nasty grumpy fellow. He is also Zenitsu's adoptive brother.
Mitsuri KanrojiA college student specializing in art, Mitsuri is a cheerful person all-around. She loves art and hopes to make people happy with it. Mitsuri is very popular with the boys, but she is somehow unaware of that. She wants to have a boyfriend.
- Big Eater: Like in the main series, Mitsuri is a major glutton. She has gotten banned from the school cafeteria, because she eats that much.
- Obliviously Beautiful: Because of her complex about her super strength, her Big Eater tendencies and her pink hair, she doesn't realize how popular she is with men.
Giyu TomiokaThe Physical Education teacher, a very strict man, always making sure the students follow the academy’s rules. There are gossips about him being not being well liked by others, considering he eats his lunch all alone. Because he's such a spartan, he's been getting complaints from the PTA.
- Big Damn Heroes: He managed to save Tanjiro and Nezuko from freezing to death before the siblings entered high school.
Kyojuro RengokuHistory Teacher, a very passionate man about the class subject, Kyojuro goes as far as taking his students to partake in mock calvary battles for his lessons. All the students love him and no one has bad grades in his classes.
Tengen UzuiArts Teacher, he loves explosions and thinks of them as “art”; Tengen is extremely popular with girls, being showered with chocolates every Valentine's Day. Still, he is not hated by the boys, many see him as a supporting big brother type of teacher; he is a seasoned fighter, being a delinquent during his school days.
Kanae KochoBiology Teacher, she is the sweetest Teacher at the academy and known by all, Kanae is a graduate from it, amassing quite the popularity ever since her student days as one of the most beautiful girls around and that claim now persists as a teacher, boys and girls all like her, even those who try to speak ill of Kanae can’t help themselves but to feel apologetic right after; Kanae is the advisor for the Flower Arranging Club, the one she was once part of.
- Cool Big Sis: Like in canon, her sisters Kanao and Shinobu consider her such. Most characters share this opinion as well.
- Spotting the Thread: She realized pretty much immediately that Kanao not wearing her butterfly hairpin means she most likely lost it. She bought a new hairpin for her, but Kanao already recovered her original hairpin.
Sanemi ShinazugawaMathematics Teacher, a very rough-looking man, Sanemi doesn’t like how stuffy it feels to button up his shirt all the away, so he leaves it bare like that. The man takes Math very seriously and won’t tolerate anyone being bad at it or daring to say it is useless on daily life, one student got punched to the sky for it. Many students don’t like him, and were even planning to gang up on him, but after the punching sky high incident, no one would dare. Still, Sanemi is very kind to elders, women and kids, even if some children cry in fear when approached by him; Kanae is often talking with him, getting on his good side.
KyogaiMusic Teacher, he primarily uses a drum during his classes, despite being able to play many pieces it seems Kyogai is quite bad at reading music sheets.
- The Mole: He's actually a spy for Kibutsuji.
Obanai IguroChemistry Teacher, because he's allergic to woman, he wears a face mask and even is rumored to keep a snake on his shoulders to avoid contact with women. He's a frequent visitor to Aoi's family's restaurant, but only ever orders tea and frequently confirms if a girl with braids is there or not. Students who fail his tests are crucified to a post and shot with bottle rockets.
- Cannot Talk to Women: He is fully aware he's bad at talking to people, especially women. He is rumored to wear his mask because of his allergy to women. He admits part of the reason he's into Mitsuri is because she's one of the only women he can actually hold a conversation with.
Gyomei HimejimaCivics Teacher, a very muscular man. Students were afraid of him because of the latter at first, but after discovering his belongings generally have cats on them, opinions changed. There are many incidents of people calling him dad.
- Super-Strength: Like his canon-self, he is incredibly strong. He's strong enough to effortlessly lift an entire chalkboard with ease.
Sakonji UrokodakiThe Academy's janitor, well liked by the students.
Hinatsuru, Suma, and MakioThree women who work at the School Store and Cafeteria; Suma works at the Store, she is quite clumsy sometimes getting the change wrong; Hinatsuru and Makio work are the cafeteria, Hinatsuru is a great cook and has great sense of taste, Makio is very fast at serving the food, she has quite the temper though. All three of them are nicknamed Kunoichi by the students, for they have the looks to be as seductive as one.
Masachika KumenoThe school librarian and a friend of Sanemi.
Amane UbuyashikiThe Academy's Principal and Kagaya's wife, she loves kids and is passionate about education.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: She and Nakime do not get along.
Nakime OtokawaThe Academy's Vice-principal, Nakime is an extremely quiet woman, easily blending into the scenery, barely anyone notices her presence; she is actually one of Kibutsuji's spies.
GyokkoAlso known as Biology Room Vase. The number of people who have witnessed the yōkai of the vase continue to increase. They say that if you ignore his unintelligible rants, he will bring out all his hands to tickle you. After Biology teacher Kanae took charge, the sightings and rumors came to an abrupt halt, which left people wondering if he was exorcised. He often makes the "Hyo hyo!" sounds during his speech and announces he will drag people into his beautiful vase.
- Butt-Monkey: Not even here can he avoid being humiliated, constantly exorcised by school staff.
- Not So Above It All: While he initially tries to scare the group of middle schoolers who enter the Biology Room at night, Nezuko and Makomo aren't intimidated in the slightest and ask to take a selfie with him, to which he agrees, albeit he is immediately angered by their lack of fear.
HantenguAlso known as Crawling Old Man in the Hallway. The old man who crawls around the hallways while crying fails to look like a human and constantly grumbles about grudges. When he sees people who are smaller than him, he lunges at them and steals their stuff. He has a swelling on his head, because Tokito from the junior high drop-kicked him. He resents the middle schoolers for showing off their youthful spirit and demands they give them their youth or something valuable.
- Adaptational Superpower Change: It's implied that Sekido, Karaku, Aizetsu, and Urogi are their own separate entities that don't require Hantengu's beheading to be summoned, as they are briefly shown being exorcised by the staff and later running amok in an bonus chapter. As for Zohakuten, it's a bit more of an Ambiguous Situation. He's seen running with the other clones, but is later summoned by Hantengu after he gets angry at Gyokko.
- Butt-Monkey: Like Gyokko, he is constantly exercised by the teachers.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Like in canon, he hates those who have it better than him, like the middle schoolers for being more youthful than him.
Tamio EnmuA train otaku, Enmu is quite the hardcore lover of trains, but he is one of the creepiest ones, walking around suspiciously with his camera in hand. He is soon taken by the local authorities for his questionable activities.
DomaCon Artist extraordinaire, a shady man whose real name and age are unknown, people only know him as “Doma”. He specializes in marriage scams, seducing women to his liking and getting away with it. However, one day, he tried to fool a certain pink-haired braided woman. She didn’t take his scamming lightly once she realized what was going on. Doma hasn’t been heard from ever since.
Politician KibutsujiMuzan Kibutsuji is an ambitious politician with the sole goal of conquering Japan, through whatever means necessary, he employs all manner of lackeys to infiltrate key locations in society to expand his influence over the country.
Secretary KokushiboKibutsuji's secretary, a mysterious and quiet man, dressed in a black suit, concealing his eyes with sunglasses at all times; no one knows his real name nor his age.
Kibutsuji's AssistantsRokuro, Wakuraba, Mukago, and Kamanue are all overworked and underappreciated assistants of Kibutsuji.
Yoriichi TsugikuniAn immensely strong part-time worker at an antique store, working with Sumiyoshi.
- Mundane Utility: In one chapter, he uses his Demon Slayer mark to carry heavy objects for his job.
Swamp DemonA weird man who targets sixteen year old girls.
Snake Demon/HebikoA girl that looks like a demonic snake.
- Kick the Dog: She joined her friends in mocking a bag her boyfriend bought her.