Von Longo was known in the Imperial criminal system as Inmate ICN 28740, was the father of Kale and Trig Longo, prisoners being transported to a detention moon by the Imperial prison barge Purge.
A prisoner onboard the Imperial prison barge Purge alongside his brother, Kale Longo circa 1 BBY.
A prisoner onboard the Imperial prison barge Purge alongside his brother, Trig Longo.
- Big Brother Instinct: He's very protective of Kale.
The cold-blooded Captain of the Guard on-board the Purge.
- Abusive Parents: His father was a Death Stick addict who beat him regularly. Until one day Jareth turned the tables on him.
- Freudian Excuse:: The Abusive Parent mentioned above.
- Heel Realization: His character arc over the course of the book is him realizing what a monster he is.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He decides to die saving the Longo's.
- Jerkass: He treats the inmates like dirt.
- Torture Technician: He is will gin to brutally interrogate inmates for information, and Trig and Kale's father died on his table.
The female Human chief medical officer working for the Imperial Corrections Service, aboard the Imperial prison barge Purge.
- Action Survivor: Makes it to the end despite not fighting too much herself.
- Doesn't Like Guns: She is unhappy at the idea of using them even against zombies.
- The Heart: She's the most caring gof the survivors and brings out the best in some of the others.
- Hospital Hottie: She's the object of lust for Purge staff and prisoners alike.
- Only Sane Man: The Purge crew member most likely to show decent towards the prisoners and practicality during the outbreak.
- Nice Guy: The only major guard whose really jovial and patient with the prisoners in a genuine sense.
A male Delphanian. He was a prisoner on board the Imperial Prison barge Purge in 1 BBY. While on board he became leader of the Delphanian Face Gang, one of the barge's preeminent resident prison gangs.
- Ax-Crazy: He loves killing and will go out of his way to do it.
- Fantastic Racism: Towards humans.
- Faux Affably Evil: He only keeps up his polite facade for the purpose of mocking his victims.
- Klingon Promotion: He became the leader of the Face Gang by killing it's previous leader.
- The Starscream: Recently murdered the previous leader of the gang.
A male Devaronian who lived during the time of the Galactic Civil War. He was distinguished by his broken horn, which reputedly gave him a lopsided appearance.
- It Can Think: Oh, yes it can. It controls the zombies as a kind of hive mind and can communicate with the infected who have not yet died through their dreams.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: White, when Sartoris is about to throw him to the zombies. Surprisingly, it works.
- Apologetic Attacker: To Jareth, when they try to eat him.
- Big Damn Heroes: Out of gratitude for Jareth sparing his life, White goes to save Cody.
- Doomed Hurt Guy: Pauling is bitten by a zombie that mangles his arm, runs to tell Han and the other passengers, then is attacks and finished off moments later.
- Drawing Straws: They do this to decide who will be eaten.
- A Father to His Men: Gorrister sees himself as one, although it's gotten a bit twisted as more of them die.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Gorrister has a moment of this as he looks around at the empty uniforms of the men he and the other survivors ate before Jareth kills him.
- New Meat: Most of the soldiers, particularly White, are described as young looking.
- No Party Like the Donner Party: They've been forced to eat several of their comrades to stay alive.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: They've been on the verge of starvation for some time.
- Technically a Smile: When piloting the shuttle away with Han, Chewie, Trig and Zahara, Tanner gives them a sincere smile which his skeletal appearance makes look creepy.