Ratatoskr is a Humanitarian Organization that created for the purpose of saving the Spirits and the world from Westcott and DEM Industries. The group was formed by Elliot Woodman, Karen Mathers and Reine Murasame in 2021 after the first wave of spacequakes caused chaos and devastation throughout the world, many of its members were either part of the project to get their loved ones back home from the Spirit Dimension or members of the DEMs initial foundation who didnt realize Westcotts true nature until the aftermath of the event.
Initially, the organization was very weak and wasnt taken seriously by Westcott or a majority of DEM Industries staff, but after suffering a serious attack from the DEM and having many of their own killed in the event, the entire organization took a good look at their weaknesses and vowed to become stronger. They chose to hide their growing strength in the shadows until the day of action was signaled, a day that finally came when Shido sealed one of the Spirits and began the chain of events that could lead to finally defeating the DEM.
WARNING! All spoilers are unmarked.
Ratatoskr as a whole
- Adapted Out: For the Tohka arc where they simply get Mana and Kotori to safety, leaving Shido to handle everything on his own without their aid. They only show up after he manages to defeat Westcott's forces and seals Tohka's powers.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Some of Ratatoskrs members joined the organization because they were saved when the DEMs efforts put them at risk or showed them how immoral or corrupt they really were, or they just didnt fit anywhere else. Ryouko is an example former having seen Kurumi's predecessor get murdered 15 years ago, while the Fraxinus crew is an example of the latter.
- Breaking the Fellowship: After the Devil's destroyed, everyone goes their separate ways.
- Determinator: Everyone in the organization is this, its the only thing that Westcott admits makes them dangerous prior to them taking a level in badass from one of his attacks.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: The organizations ultimate goal, because they know very well, especially after losing the original Fraxinus, that they wont stop the DEM unless they fight for it.
- Hope Bringer: They are humanitys last hope between a future and complete subjugation under Westcott, albeit secretly. The secret part is subverted after the DEM's true colors are exposed by Westcott.
- Humans Are Special: The organizations main belief, one they share with the First Spirit who gave up everything for the sake of giving Humanity the chance to stop Westcott.
- Good Is Not Dumb: The more elite members know Westcotts true nature and dangers, so they usually have an idea of how his plans may play out.
- Good Is Not Soft: Initially subverted. When the organization first started, they werent any threat to the Westcotts plans. Played straight after the losses and deaths from a large-scale DEM attack give them a wakeup call to get serious and finally gain the strength they need to actually threaten the DEM, they even hide their growing strength so Westcott is caught off guard when they finally reveal it.
- Meaningful Name: Reine names the group to reflect their nature as a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits who were going to accomplish a large, since the squirrel the organization would be named after had to regularly go up and down Yggdrasil to deliver messages.
- Mega-Corp: Their sub-division, Asgard Electronics, is this and an economic rival to the DEMs own products. The ASTs CR-Units, vehicles like the Fraxinus Ex-Celsior, and various types of realizers are their creations.
- Mildly Military: The AST in a nutshell, justified by the fact that most of members are high school students and often family members of other Ratatoskr agents. One example being Mikie Okamine, Tamae Okamines cousin and a high school freshman.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Where the DEM is a group of elites and trained individuals, the Ratatoskr Organization is a mix of nearly everyone. This is the biggest reason Westcott didnt take them seriously until they actually started to thwart his plans.
- Randomly Gifted: Those who survived the initial wave of spacequakes, most of which became Ratatoskrs elite, all were hit with different side effects from the exposure. Most notable is Reine Murasame whos cellular aging stopped, but also could no longer sleep.
- Took a Level in Badass: After the DEM launches a large scale attack against Ratatoskr, one such attack being aimed at the Fraxinus crew who nearly escaped death from the now Marina assisted Arbitel, the entire organization finally realizes their limitations and gets serious. They purposely appear weak to the DEM while slowly getting stronger, and by the time Shido joins them, slowly start revealing to the DEM just how much stronger theyve become.
- They take another by the end of Season 2, where Ratatoskr claims ownership of every DEM building and the technology inside them.
Elliot Baldwin Woodman
The founder and chairman of Ratatoskr Organization, having been one of the few people who indirectly aided Westcott in creating the DEM during the day of disaster over 30 years ago, he's dedicated the his rest of life to trying to stop Westcott with everything he has and the aid of those who've sided with him.
- Character Death: He's killed by Westcott in the Mukuro arc when he uses a smokescreen to blind him, giving the Arbitel the chance to attack the vehicle he was using and making it explode with him inside. To remove any doubts, the Fraxinus crew is shown seeing his pulse disappear.
- Death by Adaptation: Suffers the above-mentioned death in this fanfic. In Canon, he's still alive.
- Happily Married: Elliot is married to his secretary Karen, though she doesn't have his surname out of respect to Seigo who never got the chance to officially marry before his death, leaving his wife unable to take his last name legally.
- My Greatest Failure: Letting Westcott create the DEM and do untold damage to the world.
- Older Than He Looks: Don't let the wheelchair and his face fool you, he's no older than Seigo was when he died.
- Old Friend: He and Seigo knew each other in High School, in fact it was Elliot who inspired Seigo to become an Explorer.
- Randomly Gifted: Like most involved with the original Spacequake, Elliot stopped aging, whatever other benefit it gave him is unknown. The author states the benefit was so minor, he doesn't even know what it is.
Karen Nora Mathers
Elliot's secretary, and Ellen Mira Mathers' younger sister. Like Elliot she was involved in the project that summoned the First Spirit to Earth over 30 years ago, alongside her sister, but when Westcott's manipulations were revealed, the two ended up on opposing sides due to her believing his actions were cruel and wrong. She is very loyal to Elliot, always trying to stay by his side and take care of him.
- The Ace: She's an extremely powerful Wizard, being Ratatoskr's second strongest wizard, only surpassed by Artemisia who was one of her former students during her days in the SSS.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: While initially starting out under her canon appearance, she looks much more like Ellen's depicition in the anime's second season in the present, though flashbacks indicate this change in appearance began shortly before Minerva left the SSS.
- Always Someone Better: While both powerful Wizards, Ellen is much stronger than her.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Ellen's Cain. Both are secretaries and married to their organisations' founders and owners, it hasn't been mentioned yet what their relationship used to be like.
- Death by Adaptation: In this fic, she gets killed by a false Chinami when she discovers the latter to be a robot. In Canon, she's still alive.
- Good Counterpart: To her older sister Ellen.
- Happily Married: Karen is married to Elliot, though she doesn't have his surname out of his respect to Seigo who never got the chance to officially marry before his death, leaving his wife unable to take his last name legally.
- Instant Armor: Her CR-Unit, the Valkyrie. Meant to unleash powerful amounts of Maryoku in her attacks.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When she learns Elliot dies, she starts wildly attacking Chinami in an attempt to kill her. Unfortunately, it causes her to learn something she shouldn't have...
- Sexy Secretary: Like her sister, when acting as a secretary to Elliot, she pulls this off without even trying.
- She Knows Too Much: While already fighting to the death, its discovering that Chinami is a robot, a secret that even Westcott didn't know, that seals her fate.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Ellen's Red, being the calmer twin.
Reine Murasame/Mio Takamiya
The Commander of the Fraxinus-Ex Celsior and the Tenguu City branch of Ratatoskr, Reine was part of the project that brought the First Spirit into the world, and is the one who knows Westcotts true nature more than anyone else. With her body forever altered by the aftermath of the events, she and Elliot Woodman gather those effected by Westcotts deception and form the Ratatoskr Organization to make the madman pay for the damage hes done. For some reason, she seems oddly protective of Shido and Mana, yet seems to be refusing to tell them something that may relate to a secret connecting her to the two.
That secret reveals itself when its revealed that Reines maiden name is Takamiya, her older brother having been Shido and Manas father. A secret she wouldnt reveal because shes the entire reason that Westcott ever managed to achieve what he did, and because she didnt want to tell them that their father is dead because of her choices during the aftermath period, leading her to think she wasnt fit to raise them. Her goal is to try and find information on their missing mother who she never met, and reunite them to properly atone for the sins she unknowingly brought to the entire world.
However, later on, a lot of her backstory starts to unravel as she learns that there's a truth about herself she doesn't seem to remember, one linked to Seigo and Isamu. Eventually she discovers that she's in actuality the original Spirit, Mio Takamiya, and that her father is Isamu/God himself. After a heavy goodbye, she realizes what she needs to do and resumes her original name and form, intending to aid Shido and the other Spirits in undoing the damage Westcott and the Devil have done to the world.
See the tropes related to Mio on the Date A Re:Live - Takamiya Household page.
- Big Brother Worship: Reine really loved her older brother, and that made Seigo's death all the more tragic for her.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Reine's husband was her big brother's and then eventually her own best friend Isamu, the two would develop feelings over each other, but both had a case of Cannot Spit It Out. It wasn't until when Seigo went missing in the Spirit Dimension that they finally confessed due to their shared feelings of loss. Subverted in the Sephira Fury arc. Turns out that not only is Isamu not a childhood friend of hers, or her husband, but the individual doesn't exist, as Isamu is really a personification God used within her memories.
- Determined Widow: Reines husband died long ago, and its implied that he was one of the casualties of the earlier spacequakes, but she still stands strong in the fight with the DEM. Its latter revealed he died helping Seigo to rescue Shido, Mana and Tohka from the DEM. She stands strong against the DEM as her way of atoning for giving the order that got him and her older brother killed. Becomes even more of this when the Choronzon arc opens the possibility she may be able to find a way to revive both Seigo and Isamu, and asks Rinne to aid her. Subverted in the Sephira Fury arc, where its revealed that Isamu was just a personification of God within her memories, and she's actually never been married.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Subverted. Despite the fact she cant sleep, she has these for an entirely different reason. It comes from her constant crying every night over her brother and husbands deaths, and they slowly fade after the Kurumi arc when Mana and Shido accepting her mistakes helps her gain some closure, as well as Rinne's cheerfulness making her feel part of Seigo lives on through her.
- Iconic Item: Like in canon, shes always got that teddy bear on hand. It turns out that it actually belongs to Mana, being a gift from her father, who happens to be Reine's older brother. She leaves it with Mana while she recovers in the hospital during Kurumi's arc, where it eventually ends up being returned to Mana permanently.
- Law of Inverse Fertility: In Chapter 20, Reine mentions that she can't have children. Unlike her sleeping issue and inability to age, she was like this naturally, and she clearly implies this really upset her. During the first chapter of Natsumi arc, she tells Mayuri that she'd like to adopt her once everything's over, due to her appearance making her look like the child she and Isamu couldn't have.
- My Greatest Failure: Trusting Westcott, as the project she helped form to rescue Seigo was pretty much the DEM's earliest stage, and she had played right into his hands in aiding him. Worse, is in her attempts to help stop him, she was caused the deaths of Isamu and Seigo, while she believed she caused the deaths of Tohka's parents.
- Older Than They Look: Reine looks like shes in her 20s, and she technically is... because thats when the residue of the first wave of spacequakes caused her to stop aging. Shes actually in her 50s chronologically.
- Related in the Adaptation: Shes the aunt of Shido, Mana and Rio. Rinne is also her unofficial sister in law due to being the mother of her brothers children.
- Running Gag: Reine is often seen drinking coffee, a lot of coffee. This id due to her inability to sleep so she can limit her fainting spells to a minimum.
- Secret Keeper:She kept the fact that she's Shido and Mana's aunt from the both of them because if she did tell them, she'd have to tell them that their father is dead.
- The Stoic: Downplayed, shes only like this when acting as a Commander, otherwise she's not too different from everyone else. Though if surprised enough, the act will slip.
- Walking Spoiler: The Sephira Fury arc reveals that she's really the Spirit of Origin, Mio Takamiya, and the daughter of God.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair colors natural.
Vice-Commander of the Fraxinus and the Tenguu City branch of Ratatoskr, and the former AST Captain. He's known for being on the weird side and a bit unconventional, but Reine trusts him as her Vice-Commander, and the Fraxinus crew admits he tends to know what he's doing.
- The Captain: Formerly of the AST when Ryouko was just a recruit. Also, when the Fraxinus is placed under his command, he shows just how capable he is at directing the crew.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He's a very competent commander when he needs to lead the Fraxinus in Reine's place, and when teamed up with Maria, he can at least fight the Arbitel to a stand still.
- Happily Married: To Tamae in the epilogue.
- Number Two: To Reine, she trusts him greatly, although she does make it clear to him there are lines she doesn't want him to cross. They seem to be related to her though more than anything else.
See her entry on the Date A Re:Live - Takamiya Household page.
The five members of the Fraxinus crew alongside Reine and Kannazuki, working on the support system and commands for the ship and being one of the few who help vote on choices for Shido when he's unsure of how to reply to a Spirit.
- Otaku: Nakatsugawa is a huge otaku, and this ends up helping Ratatoskr greatly during Miku's arc when they need to get information on her through his social circle of contacts.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: They're a group of odd people that as individuals are odd and can't really do much, but want to help save the Spirits due to Ratatoskr giving them a place they could be accepted. Its shown when they work together, their technical skills help the Fraxinus shine, and while they have questionable dating advice alone, their combined perspectives do tend to help Shido find the right response when unure of how to reply to a Spirit.
- Red Baron: While not mentioned in story, they still have their titles in canon.
Mildred F. Fujiwara
An engineer and mechanic of Ratatoskr, and a former member of the DEM. Mildred lived with her parents and eventually gained a younger sister via adoption, but one day everyone she cared for forgot her and her sister claimed to be responsible for it, causing her and her parents to get angry at her and call her out on this action.
She later felt her anger was too harsh, but in her attempt to apologize... she learns her sister ran away from home and later a DEM scout tells her she might have been kidnapped by a Spirit. After working for them for some time, she discovers that her sister may be the Spirit and leaves DEM, joining Ratatoskr to find her sister and hopefully save her if she is a Spirit.
- Adaptational Heroism: Due to the AST being part of Ratatoskr, and leaving DEM not via a transfer to the AST, but of her own accord upon realizing her sister might be one of the Spirits they're trying to kill.
- Break the Cutie: The Mukuro arc is this for her in spades, she finally finds her missing sister... but she's not the same, she learns that she sealed away her emotions (which she heavily believes to be her fault) and Mukuro says she has no sister. It ends up being so bad, the shock and stress make her go into cardiac arrest.
- Creating Life: She's the one who created Mayuri, but it isn't until between the Choronzon and Ars Install arcs she learns of this fact since Mayuri never really brought up she was Material B for her to realize this.
- Determinator: She refuses to stop looking for her sister, though she does briefly lose this whenever new info doesn't give her a clear answer to finding her, leaving her sad for a while.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Despite nearly dying, her efforts to reunite with her sister lead to the two forgiving one another for the events of 5 years ago.
- Hope Spot: She expected Mukuro indirectly giving them aid against Choronzon would help give new evidence to proving she was the final Spirit, but when the other Spirits didn't get the info she actually wanted, Mildred's clearly saddened.
- Multi-Ethnic Name: Her first name isn't Japanese like her last name, due to her father not being Japanese.
- My God, What Have I Done?: She tries to apologize to her sister after realizing her words came off too harsh... only to learn Mukuro had ran away to her horror, she's spent every moment trying to find her and make amends for this.
- My Greatest Failure: The fact she caused Mukuro to run away from home.
- Related in the Adaptation: In this story, she's the unnamed older sister of Mukuro's from canon.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: When faced with the reality that her sister might be a Spirit the DEM wants to kill, she wastes no time abandoning them and leaving. She tried to take Mayuri with her, but she couldn't because if she waited for Mayuri to fully form, she'd be unable to escape the forces mobilizing to capture her.
- Taking the Bullet: She tries to protect Tohka from being killed by Mukuro, only to be fatally shot through the torso... Mukuro doesn't take it well. Luckily, she gets better.
- Tender Tears: Upon learning Mukuro is the final Spirit, she breaks down in tears, happy that she's finally found her sister after 5 years of searching.
- This Cannot Be!: When offered to see a picture of the current [Zodiac] Spirit, while not able to confirm that it's really her... she realizes the Spirit looks very much like her missing younger sister. Only after sealing Nia does she finally get proof she was right about this.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: She could have never known that replying to a friend's comment about Mukuro's hair being too long, when she always told Mukuro she loved her long hair, could have set a chain of events that led to Mukuro running away from home.
- When she ends up Taking the Bullet for an attack that would have killed Tohka, she unknowingly causes the Inversions of every Spirit by setting off Mukuro's, who unknowingly gave a way to spread her Inversion to the others.
An analyst of Ratatoskr, his job focuses on organizing and gathering information, and making sure the data showcasing the current status of any Raratoskr vehicles or weaponry are still intact and up to date.
- Ascended Extra: Only appears once in the anime during Kurumi's arc during the scene where he tells Ryouko about her transferring into Shido's school, right before Mana reveals how many people she's killed.
- Only One Name: Until the Ars Install arc, Matthew was only known by his first name. His last name is only revealed as Johnson when he introduces himself during Maria and Marina's memorial.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: While worried about Mana trying the White Licorice, he does attempt to let her try it, and lets her hold out a little longer when she believes she's managed to have it link with her instead of instantly disconnecting her.
- Satellite Character: He doesn't tend to show up often despite being an Ascended Extra, justified by how his job area doesn't give him many chances.
A staff member at Ratatoskr and also Shido's homeroom teacher at Raizen High. Quite popular with the students in her class and faithful to her job, but desperately searching for a husband, she still uses the time she has when working for Ratatoskr. Her classroom acts as a entrance to Ratatoskr's secret base, and many of her students are field agents for Ratatoskr. She's also the older cousing of the AST's Mikie Okamine.
- Ascended Extra: In contrast to the anime having her Demoted to Extra, whenever Raizen High is involved with something, she's usually present for it.
- A Day In The Lime Light: She has a slightly more important role during Kurumi's arc, due to Reine having some work to do and Kurumi being in the school, making her a closer and safer option for recon overall.
- Happily Married: To Kannazuki in the epilogue.
- Older Than She Looks: She's 29, yet when shown next to her cousin Mikie you would think they're the same age. Mikie herself has even mentioned she doesn't get how she hasn't found a husband. By the end of Season 3, she finally gets engaged to a tutor that helped Mikie during the last months of her freshman year.
Shido's classmate, a field agent for Ratatoskr, and an pro Dating Sim player. He has a 2D girlfriend who looks a lot like Kotori, and he often uses his Dating Sim gaming to aid Maria's systems to constantly update the response system for Shido's headset if he's ever unsure of how to reply to a Spirit.
- Ascended Extra: In contrast to the anime having him Demoted to Extra, he's constantly updating the response system Maria uses to help Shido with by playing his games, essentially using his best talent to aid Shido indireclty.
- Ambiguously Bi: Subverted. He only likes girls, but people mistake him as this because he doesn't pay attention to some of the words he uses around guys like Shido.
- Bromantic Foil: He gets very chummy with Shido, and where Shido has experience with real life girls and has a harem, Tonomachi's only good with virtual women and has yet to find a girlfriend. By the epilogue, he's married Ai, and had a daughter with her.
- Happily Married: To Ai in the epilogue.
- Otaku: He's only had virtual girlfriends, and it seems like his focus on dating sims may be why he doesn't have one. Luckily, his knowledge helps him figure out the personalities of most girls easily, though some are harder for him to read than others.
Three of Shido's classmates, and a group often known as the talkative trio due to their tendency to always talk about something together, also known as the trouble trio to some DEM members due to their tendency to somehow ruin their efforts when they're in the same area.
- Ascended Extra: In contrast to the anime having them Demoted to Extra, they're often spectators on the field and throw themselves into a situation by acting like random civilians or students when things get harry.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Ai is the blonde, Mii's dark blue hair makes her the "brunette", and Mai's brown hair makes her the "redhead".
- Central Theme: Thet usually speak as a group, with Ai beginning a conversation, Mai added something to it, and then Mii finishing it.
- Happily Married: Ai is this with Hiroto in the epilogue.
- Curtains Match the Window: All three of them.
- The Leader: Ai is the unofficial leader of the trio due to always starting conversations out of the three.
- Spanner in the Works: Their antics end up derailing anything that the DEM Elite try, and while only shown with Chinami so far, the author states this has happened off-screen with Ellen, Jessica and even Westcott at one time.
- Suddenly Voiced: Sort of. Mii does actually talk in canon, but only tends to say "Gross" or "Lame", she has a much larger vocabulary here and rarely says either word unless a situation requires it.
- Those Three Girls: They aren't called the talkative trio for nothing.
- Adaptational Heroism: Due to being members of Ratatoskr, they're now actual heroes because they're fighting to protect the Spirits, only fighting them to prevent them from causing any casualties or to defend them from DEM wizards if they're able.
- Adaptational Late Appearance: In canon, they've appeared in the first arc. Here they've made their first appearance in the second arc.
- Ascended Extra: A few members are this, this includes Mikie and Ryouko who have larger roles, and Katie who's an nameless AST member notable for a scene in the 6th episode of Season 1.
- Amazon Brigade: A group of very attractive young women dressed in suits of armor that don't leave much to imagination, this wasn't the case when Kyouhei was captain as he was the only guy among them.
- Badass Normal: They aren't Spirits, and most aren't even veteran wizards like the DEM's Adeptus numbers or the SSS quartet, but they are not to be underestimated and when working as a team, can be as big of a threat as some of the weaker Spirits.
- Child Soldier: Downplayed. There's always a choice to join, those who refuse simply become Ratatoskr field agents or staff, with Ai, Mai and Mii having all declined because they didn't feel they could handle fighting.
- Determinator: These girls don't know the meaning of giving up, best shown when together they work together to take out a giant satellite!
- Elite Four: The SSS quartet is this, especially Artemisia who's the strongest wizard that Ratatoskr has.
- Fun with Acronyms: Instead of Anti-Spirit Team like in canon, the fanfic's acronym for AST stands for Advanced Security Team.
- Instant Armor: Their CR-Units can be summoned from anywhere.
- Powered Armor: The CR-Units give their user enhanced strength and special weapons, but require their user to have been born with a mana core to work.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Probably the reason Ratatoskr as a whole is famous for this.
The current captain of the AST, and one of the original members back during the days when Kyouhei Kannazuki was captain. Upon his promotion to Vice-Captain she was chosen for her hard work and his belief she'd be the right role mode
- Blood Knight: Whenever she gets pissed off too much, this is what happens, often signaled by her drawing out her signature weapon after she screams. This almost always seems to happen whenever a DEM machine is involved.
- The Captain: Of the AST, and a good one. She's even quite supportive of her troops and seeks to bring out their potential, being the reason Mana's become such a badass since joining the AST.
- Cool Big Sis: Despite her age, she acts more like a big sister to the rest of the AST, this is best shown during a flashback of her training montoge with Mana where she makes her to keep Mana's spirits up but in a gentle and efficient manner.
- Establishing Character Moment: As shown in the Cool Big Sis example above, not to mention her story about how she felt weak and soon realized she was holding herself back with her own actions, training to learn techniques and theories that would later cause Kannazuki name her his successor. She'd eventually start teaching the AST members these very techniques and theories to promote their growth.
- Instant Armor: Her Lynx CR-Unit, which focuses on gathering information and recon.
- Large Ham: Whenever she enters her Blood Knight mood, she really starts shouting out the ham.
- Older Than They Look: She's 27, and yet looks only a bit older than most of the AST. Considering what she did to get strong and losing stress when she's pushed too far, she's probably young looking because of her hard work.
- Rage Breaking Point: Normally she's calm and collected, but the moment she snaps... she becomes much more dangerous.
- Rank Up: When Mio is forced to step down as Commander due to needing to be with Shido's group more often, she's named the new Commander of Fraxinus when everyone agrees she's the best fit for the job.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Cares deeply for her team and Ratatoskr's mission, and prefers their safety above anything else since they all have homes they need to come back to. She's even willing to risk herself if the rest of the AST can survive.
- Smarter Than She Looks: When she was younger, she was eating lunch right where the DEM attacked Kurumi's predecessor, hearing the Spacequake alarm and then seeing the Spirit killed while trying to get away easily made her realize that Spirits cause the Spacequakes, and that they're the victims. She was also smart enough to stay quiet and hidden the whole time to even see it.
- Wingding Eyes: Her pupils often change shape when something makes her really happy, usually they end up being hearts.
A student at Raizen High and Tamae's younger cousin, Mikie first learned about the Spirits by meeting Tohka, making her one of the newer members of the AST overall yet a prodigy member despite her short time with them. While she's fighting to protect the Spirits, she is extremely phobic of their powers due to her experiences when she encountered Tohka.
- Adaptational Heroism: In canon, she considers all the Spirits evil due to her first experience with them, that being her reason for joining the AST. Here, she still has a negative experience with the Spirits, but knows they aren't evil because she had enough of a mind to ask Tamae and learn the truth rather than trust a stranger from the DEM.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She ended up getting caught in one of Tohka's spacequakes before she Inverted, and what she saw completely terrified her of their powers ever since then. Rather than try to ignore it, she joins the AST because it can lead to the Spacequakes stopping, but she's still clearly terrified of having to fight an unsealed Spirit directly.
- Instant Armor: Her Sphinx CR-Unit, which focuses on stealth by making her turn invisible, something that CR-Units normally can't do.
- New Meat: Was the most recent AST member prior to Mana joining up with them.
A student at Raizen High, Katie was originally just a normal girl known for having incredible accuracy, especially when it came to sports. One day she witnessed the DEM chasing the then current possessor of Haniel, with one of the DEM wizards losing their gun in the process. Even though she didn't know what was happening, she decided to fire the gun and save her. Three of her classmates soon brought her Ratatoskr where she joined the AST as their main sniper.
- Ascended Extra: She's the girl from the Hot Springs episode that talks to Ryouko about the trip being cancelled and the replacement trip to Tenguu Paradise. Among the fanfic's Ascended Extra's, she tends to be the most prominent and often to appear.
- The Gunslinger: While good with long range in general, she prefers using guns due to it being the first weapon she used, and the one most familiar to her.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Before even first holding a gun, she was able to throw and aim things with amazing accuracy. However when using her accuracy for her sniper skills, she somehow perceives the world around her slower than it really is, allowing her to aim and fire fast. Keep in mind that she wasn't around when the first Spacequake happen, meaning this is a natural skill.
- Instant Armor: Her Unicorn CR-Unit, which focuses on her long-range by giving her a scope to calculate data for her shots.
- Multi-Ethnic Name: Like Mildred, her first name isn't Japanese. However, unlike with Mildred, both her parents are Japanese, and they named her Katie because the name was cute to them.
- Shrinking Violet: Downplayed, but she can get easily nervous and shy, and is very easy to freak out. This trait vanishes entirely when she's fighting alongside the AST due to being able to focus and calm her mind to ignore this side of her.
Kurumi's best friend and the original possessor of the Camael Crystal, she became a Spirit shorlty after she did, only to be killed by Ellen when she and Artemisia teamed up against them. Her consciousness survived however and tried to manifest through Kotori, only stopping once she accepted she was dead, and fading shortly after helping Kurumi realize her memories have been tampered with. After the Deus is destroyed, Rinne revives her and she becomes a member of the AST.
- Ascended Extra: In canon, she's a Posthumous Character that's a major part of Kurumi's backstory and Kotori's predecessor, here she has a much larger role that cause major events during the last two arcs of the fanfic's first season. Then she revives from the dead due to Rinne, and later joins the AST.
- Back from the Dead: Rinne revives her and every fallen past holder of the Sephira Crystals at the end of Season 1, now no longer a Spirit.
- Beneath the Mask: While she acts the same as Kurumi when needing to keep an image, her true self is a bit more abbraisive and willing to swear, basically being the black ribbon Kotori of the fanfic. She claims this comes from stress, and is relieved when she can act like her natural self to let it all out.
- Best Friend: To Kurumi, not even a decade separate, Kurumi having her memories altered, or her own death has weakened their friendship. It was their friendship that made Saya become a Spirit.
- Brought Down to Normal: Since Kotori has the Camael Crystal, she's a Human once she comes back to life.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was murdered by Ellen, and somehow her consciousness survived, making her take over Kotori's body and not even realizing she's been dead. She breaks down crying when she can't deny it anymore.
- Demonic Possession: Saya does this to Kotori while sharing a body with her, truly believing Kotori is the one trying to take her body. This works because Kotori's will isn't as strong and can't resist her.
- Easy Amnesia: While she and Kotori share a body, she can only remember things they both do, while the memories are there she can't recall the information associated with them. This causes a lot of problems in the Kurumi arc where knowing them would have helped the heroes avoid a lot of trouble.
- Instant Armor: Her Salamandra CR-Unit, it's made to form a barrier without using a territory, but was originally too dangerous for anyone to use. Maria believes the reason Saya managed to use it because she was once a Spirit.
- During the Mio Reminisce arc, it was evolved offscreen into the Suzaku through Light Reiryoku, which focuses on using flames alongside two dagger-sized spears.
- Legacy Character: She was the previous wielder of Camael before Kotori, and one of the only two known past wielders of a Sephira Crystal.
- Omniglot: During the Nia arc, she reveals that she's quite fluent in Spanish.
- Posthumous Character: She's dead at the start of the story, she gets better.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Unlike in canon, she gets restored to life.
- Spell My Name with an "S": According to the author, her canon counterpart's official name translation (Sawa Yamauchi) was still unknown when the author added her into the story, so she went with Saya Yamada because it was the easiest of the possible translations for her to remember.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Her Salamandra CR-Unit's weapons and its shield power having a burning effect on her skin make it seem like it's just Kotori's powers in the form of a CR-Unit. It's even implied she's only able to use the Salamandra because she was the previous Efreet.
- Walking Spoiler: There's a lot about her that can't be mentioned without revealing key points in Kotori and Kurumi's arcs.
A trio that works in the AST, they're friends of Katie who introduced her to the AST
- Instant Armor: The Falcon, Alligator and Lion CR-Units. It isn't known what these CR-Units can do because these three are Satellite Characters, with their names only being mentioned in a flashback of Maria's.
- Those Three Girls: They're essentially what Ai, Mai and Mii would have been if they were in the AST.
- Satellite Character: While all three of them are seen in the anime, usually together and sometimes with Katie, these three only really exist to be part of the AST and replace Ai, Mai and Mii's status as this in canon.
One of the wizards under the AST's precursor, the SSS, and the team's close-combat expert. Ashley came from an uncaring household and abusive lifestyle prior to joining Ratatoskr which has left her a bad temper and a rebel attitude, her SSS friends being the few people she often relaxes for. She tends to hang out with Mana when training due to their similar "get into the fight" attitudes.
- Berserk Button: Way too many to list.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her parents didn't care, she was bullied by her classmates, and anyone she told her problems to said to wait it out for things to get better... but they never did. Eventually she snapped, and one of her bullies finally sees what its like to be physically struck back
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Artemisia who was the first true friend she ever hand, later Leonora and Cecile when they became close to Artemisia as well.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It is very easy to set her off.
- Instant Armor: Her Asura CR-Unit, which is meant for pure close-combat.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She can be a bit of a brat sometimes, but she cares about those close to her and does not respect bullies.
- The Quincy Punk: She dresses like one and is a bit of a loner towards most people.
One of the wizards under the ASTs precursor, the SSS, and the teams long-range combat expert. Leonora was quite clumsy growing up, and often enough she was laughed at, leading to her eventually feeling she could only avoid it by becoming tough, she keeps the act up in the present, but shes willing to show her soft side with the rest of her friends. She tends to hang out with the fellow AST sniper Katie.
- Cry Cute: Whenever her crybaby side comes out.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Downplayed, but being a crybaby who got laughed at, even if not maliciously at times, ended up defining her tough girl image and gave her indirect pain until Artemisia managed to reach out to her.
- The Gunslinger: Most of her CR-Units weapons function like firing a gun.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Mostly an Informed Ability, but theres a reason why shes considered an even better sniper than Katie who already has a unique sniper skill. Not to mention she beat Katie in a training duel.
- Instant Armor: Her Horus CR-Unit, which is tailored specifically for full long-range and sniper support.
- The Klutz: In her younger days, she tended to be this, which made her a crybaby from the laughing she got.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Acts tough on the outside, but shes actually a crybaby. It just takes one right situation for her to expose her real seal.
One of the wizards under the ASTs precursor, the SSS, and the teams support and defense expert. Cecile is a victim of the Spacequakes, having been caught in the direct radius of one and losing her eyesight and the ability to use her legs, and joined the SSS due to the CR-Unit technology being able to temporarily restore both when she uses them. She tends to hang out with the fellow AST member Mikie who has a unique battle style like her own.
- The Chick: Having suffering becoming blind and paralyzed, shes had to deal with the most emotional stability, and takes this role when Artemisia disappears.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Has the worst of it out of the SSS members, during a Spacequake that Yoshino caused, she failed to evacuate and got caught right near a blast radius very edge. It damaged her eyes which blinded her, then flung her into a building, only for debris to crush her legs... leaving legs paralyzed. Needless to say, she tried using the fact a Wiring Suit could give her both back to a degree to hide this because she doesnt want it to change how people look at her. Luckily, her best friends didnt care she was crippled.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: She eventually has her vision restored and her legs healed, though the method to do this had existed for a while, she chose not to do it until Mana convinced her to do so as a way to welcome Artemisia back.
- Handicapped Badass: Shes blind and paralyzed, but wearing her CR-Unit or a Wiring Suit will let her see and move like anyone else. This changes after she has her eyes and legs healed.
- Hiding the Handicap: Initially, she didn't want to let her teammates on the SSS know about her being blind and unable to move her legs, but Minerva made sure the others found out.
- Instant Armor: Her Longma CR-Unit, which was designed to use her territorys special use to move her body to move the blades of her "attack wings" and make territory jamming fields.
- Number Two: The second strongest SSS member, and the temporary leader when Artemisia goes missing.
Artemisia Bell Ashcroft
A Wizard from the British equivalent of AST, the Special Sorcery Service (SSS). She's a major character in the spin-off manga story Date A Strike, where her past in the SSS is elaborated upon. In the main story, she is in a coma due to her memories being used as a part of DEM's project up until Volume 12, when her memories are returned and she becomes the new Adeptus 2 after Mana's defection.
- The Ace: Shes the most powerful wizard in Ratatoskr, and based off a comment by Ellen in the Miku arc, around the same tier as Ellen. If shes stronger or weaker than the DEMs strongest wizard on the other hand has yet to be seen. That is... until their battle in the Mukuro arc.
- Anti-Villain: She only worked for Westcott as Adeptus 2 because he brainwashed her, and hes smart enough to not have her kill because it would risk her breaking free.
- Brainwashed: At one point, Artemisia was captured and then had Westcott rewrite most of her memories, including those involving her fellow Wizards in the SSS. However, when faced with certain situations, she began to remember her true memories, only for the brainwashing realizer to stop it.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Downplayed. While her finish move against Ellen causes her to break her signature weapon, the Nandaka, because she uses her unique territory to charge it, she succeeds in killing Ellen.
- Convenient Coma: During the Kurumis arc, Westcott forces her into a coma by stealing her memories. She wakes up after the ASTs efforts in the Date AST Re:Strike arc allow them to reclaim them and wake her up.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Artemisias parents died during the massive DEM attack against Ratatoskr, and while she is said, she knew they died doing their best to save the world and joins the SSS to continue their legacy. The Mukuro arc reveals that Ellen was the killer, killing everyone but her due to her father shielding her from falling debris.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Artemisia is not only the only Wizard to ever defeat Ellen, but she's the one that finally kills her when the two fight, proving she's the stronger wizard.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: After awakening from her coma, she has slight muscle atrophy that leaves her out of AST fights until the Miku arc. At that point, she shows just how dangerous a wizard she is.
- The Dragon: Shares this role with Ellen and Jessica for a time, but unlike them, doesnt kill people. This is because doing so might free her from her brainwashing.
- The Dreaded: She was a normal girl with a unique territory that made her the strongest wizard of Ratatoskr, not to mention the DEM brainwashed her instead of killing her, and even Ellens mentioned that Artemisia could give her trouble... keep in mind Ellen normally doesnt worry about anyone being able challenge her. If she had a proper fight with Ellen, Artemisia could very well prove shes the strongest wizard in the world!
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Her hair is as bright as the goodness in her heart.
- The Heart: Of the SSS and later the AST, being kind, sweat, and someone each AST wizard strives to become.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: She doesnt have a bad bone in her body, enough that like Kurumi, Westcotts brainwashing had him forced to keep her to her morals to avoid breaking said brainwashing.
- Instant Armor: Her Bahamut CR-Unit, which is the strongest Ratatoskr made CR-Unit. There hasnt been a mentioned use for it, but due to being the strongest CR-Unit that Ratatoskrs created, it may have multiple uses to fit Artemisias skills.
- Nice Girl: Shes very gentle and easily gets along with others, having helped each SSS member aside from Minerva deal with their Dark And Troubled Pasts, making them all discover their true potential.
- Rank Up: After becoming the new Commander, she's named the AST's new Captain by Ryouko due to how well she bonds with the other wizards.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: She defeats Ellen by charging the Nandaka with her unique territory, causing it to crack and thn explode upon hitting her, making a cyclone of Maryoku. Seeing as Ellen didn't die until a few seconds after the attack ended, the amount of power she needed was justified.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: She was a member of Ratatoskr, and somehow ended up as the second strongest member of the DEM... except she didnt join them willing, shes just been brainwashed.
- Worf Had the Flu: Couldnt properly fight Ellen in the Miku arc because she and the AST had fought other DEM forces and she was just too exhausted to challenge her.
- World's Best Warrior: After she kills Ellen during their fight in the Mukuro arc, Artemisia has officially become the world's most powerful wizard.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: When her brainwashing is starting to fade, Westcott has her knocked into a Convenient Coma by stealing her memories and using them to create a CR-Unit for Minerva that gives her abilities to the sadistic wizard.