Spirits (精霊 Seirei) are extraordinary beings from a different dimension. Through their own will or not, it is unknown, but each time they come through to this world, they create a spacequake that is similar to a bomb explosion which destroys everything that it engulfs. Each individual Spirit is unique in personality, power, and their knowledge of the world.
This is where Shido Itsuka, the main protagonist, comes in. He possesses a strange power that allows him to seal the powers of a Spirit in his body with a kiss.
There will be unmarked spoilers for those who haven't read the light novel.
- Action Girl: They're all girls, and every single one of them can kick copious amounts of ass. At least, until Shido reveals he can borrow their powers.
- The Ageless: One of the perks of a human becoming a Spirit is that their bodies stop aging, though the process resumes if theyre sealed.
- Badass Adorable: They're all cute girls with superpowers, and even the weakest of them is more than a match for any number of superhumans (not counting Ellen).
- Badass Crew: Volume 9 has Shido's harem work together to destroy two satellites falling on the city. They do it again to save him in Volume 12 when the spirit mana within him drives him berserk, and this is while their spirit powers have a time limit.
- Balanced Harem: Over time, they all have no problem sharing Shido with one another, even Tohka and Origami. They are still competing to be his number #1, however.
- Brought Down to Normal: With Mio's death, their spirit powers disappear, reverting them back into regular humans.
- Calling Your Attacks: When they use their Angels or their Finishing Move.
- Code Name: The spirits are assigned code names by the AST and DEM.
- Color-Coded Characters: Their primary colors correspond to the colors of the area on the Sephirot they represent. Tohka and Miku being the exception because Tohka's spot is multiple colors, while Miku's should be purple, but gets closer to violet due to Tohka taking purple instead.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Easily able to dish this out to just about anyone who isn't one, sealed or not. Except the stronger Wizards like Ellen, who can easily curb-stomp them, sealed or not. These become rare after Volume 7 due to new technology revealed and used by DEM.
- Cursed With Awesome: Their powers come at an expense of being persecuted just for existing.
- Elemental Hair Colors: White-haired Origami uses light, black-haired Kurumi uses shadow (along with time), blue-haired Yoshino uses water, and redhead Kotori uses fire.
- Exotic Eye Designs: All of them have whitened pupils, presumably as a side effect of gaining Spirit powers.
- Fish out of Water: To various degrees, but especially Tohka.
- Fire-Forged Friends: They all become friends despite causing a lot of trouble for the setting. When a new Spirit appears, the girls are usually happy to meet them, as both Natsumi and Nia find out despite their misgivings.
- Friendless Background: Comes with being hunted just for existing. They deal with it in various ways. The Yamai twins are relatively well adjusted in this regard, as they had each other.
- Instant Armor: Their Astral Dresses can be summoned at any time and protect them from conventional weaponry (though Tohkas is the only one that could even begin to pass as armor). After Shido seals them, they can still summon limited versions of their Astral Dresses which mesh with their current outfit.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: Save for Yoshino and the Yamai twins, the Spirits' Astral Dresses are elegant and stylish robes and they wear it whenever they fight. After their power is sealed, they can invoke a lesser form of their original outfit that meshes with their current outfit.
- Lady and Knight: The Bright Ladies to Shido's White Knight. Kurumi is a Dark Lady instead.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The Spirits remember nothing of their home dimension. Because with the exception of Tohka, they were all formerly human who had their memories wiped.
- Leitmotif: The One-Woman Wail of "Seirei" tends to play in the anime whenever a Spirit's ordeal is properly presented. A faster rendition called "Pride" is present when Kotori gives way to Efreet's violent personality; while a Dark Reprise in "Hanten - Tohka" is played when Tohka crosses the Despair Event Horizon and taps into her Inverse Form.
- Moe Anthropomorphism: All of Spirits are personifications of the Sephirots in Tree of Life
- Most Common Superpower: With the exception of the Token Mini Moes, the Spirits tend to be rather stacked, and their Astral Dresses make sure to show it.
- My Suit Is Also Super: Astral Dresses afford considerable protection and have powers of their own. Miku demonstrates hers can give off light which is useful both in night battles and during her concerts.
- Nigh-Invulnerable: Due to their powers, not only are they impervious to nearly everything attackers throw at them.
- Numerical Theme Naming: Each Spirit has the kanji for a number in either her first or last name. So do Shido, Reine and Mio Takamiya.
- Older Than They Look: In Volume 13, it's revealed that part of a Spirit's powers is that they stop aging. This power is negated while they're sealed.
- Our Angels Are Different: Each Spirit has a Weapon of Choice named after a major angel. Further, their Astral Dress armors have religiously significant names as well.
- Our Spirits Are Different: They're all cute girls from another dimension.
- Power Crystal: The source of a Spirit's powers are gems called Sephira Crystals, most of which were given to them by Phantom, and one of which was given by Mio. Unfortunately the crystals' powers were originally toxic and required multiple hosts to refine them, and the removal of a Sephira Crystal kills the host. Kotori is the only known character who's Sephira Crystal has a known past host.
- Power Incontinence: By virtue of involuntarily causing spacequakes whenever they come to this world. They can also voluntarily cause them. Some of the ones with elemental powers effect the weather without meaning to. Sealed Spirits can sometimes reactivate their powers without meaning to when upset or emotionally unstable. And worse, a Spirit that crosses the Despair Event Horizon achieves Inverse Form and immediately starts rampaging indiscriminately.
- Power Levels: Ratatoskr actually has a databook that records the Spirits by several parameters: threat level (using an alphabetical scale, though some ranks can get wonky), spacequake power, strength, consistency / defence, Spirit level, agility and intelligence.
- Red Baron: Each Angel in the Light Novels are written with a title that usually describes their powers. For example, Tohka's Sandalphon is written alongside a Kanji that is read as "Throne of Annihilation"
- Re-Power: By each grabbing one of Beast's swords, the Spirits are able to regain their powers.
- Restored My Faith in Humanity: Several of them held distrust or even contempt for humans before warming up to Shido.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Their Angels are named after the Archangels of their respective Sephirot of the Kabbalah Tree of Life, based on the numerical kanji in their namesnote . Their Astral Dresses are named after the Divine Names of said Sephirot.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: All of them fell in love with Shido because he stood up for them when no one else did.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Latter volumes show that Spirits can tap into an alternate form when their emotional levels reach an extremely low level, called Inverse Form. Their Astral Dress and appearance change in the process to match their state, and their Angels become Demon Kings (named after the Qliphoth of their respective Sephirot). Depending on the severity of their despair, they can suffer anywhere from Laser-Guided Amnesia in regards to the events that drove them to despair, to complete mental breakdown. But in any case, they will attack anyone and everyone in their sights indiscriminately. According to Isaac Westcott, this is their actual form in the bordering dimension. Tohka and Origami each tap into their Inverse forms in volume 7 and 10 respectively, followed by Nia in volume 13, and almost followed by Mukuro in Volume 15.
- Subverted in Volume 15 when Tohka inverses again, where her Inverse self doesn't show any of the traits mentioned above and actually remembers Shido. She also implies that in her case at least, she may be Tohka's true self before she lost her memories, having since becoming a separate personality like the old and new timeline versions of Origami.
- Volume 16 reveals that all Sephira Crystals were originally Qlipha Crystals. It's only when Mio saw the effect these crystals had on their hosts that she turned them into Sephira crystals to make their powers easier to control.
- Trapped in Another World: In Memoria Freese's crossover campaign, Ais Catastrophe, several of the Spirits, alongside Shido, find themselves transported into the world of Orario as the result of an unknown cause. It's later revealed that it was the work of a false Kaguya Yamai.
- Transformation Sequence: Both played straight and inverted. Spirits can turn their Astral Dress into normal clothing and back via this. It's mentioned that therec is less protective value in that mode, and all the Spirits seem to revert to their normal Astral Dress for combat. Or as much of their clothing as they can, anyway. The length of each Transformation Sequence varies. The first time we see this is Tohka changing her Astral Dress into a school uniform for her date with Shido.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Most of the Spirits don't bother with tactics or forethought since they're so powerful there's no reason for them to. This causes problems when they fight enemies who can counter their most straightforward attacks. Volume 12 proves just how skilled they are with their powers, since Berserk!Shido has much more raw power than their sealed selves, they're all depowered, and yet they're perfectly capable of using what little they have to overwhelm him.
- Was Once a Man: The Spirits are former humans that obtained Sephira Crystals from Phantom, as proven by Origami, Kotori, Miku, Nia and Mukuro. However the idea wasn't brought up until Volume 13 by Nia as a theory, and then said theory was confirmed by Inverse Tohka in Volume 15. Before that, Kotori believed some of the Spirits had always been Spirits, or Pure Spirits as she says. The First Spirit is the exception as Inverse Tohka explains the Sephira Crystals all came from her. Volume 18 revealed that Tohka is also a pure Spirit, as the Sephira Crystal of Malkuth had developed its own ego and gave birth to her.
Voiced by: Iori Nomizu (Japanese), Tia Ballard (English)
Code name: "Hermit"
Angel: Zadkiel (Puppet)
Astral Dress: El
The second Spirit to appear. She's very shy and relies on her Hand Puppet Yoshinon to communicate with others. She causes rain to fall whenever she appears, which is part of her ability to control the three states of water. Mainly uses ice attacks though. Shido seals her powers at the end of Volume 2, and later lives in an apartment specifically built for sealed Spirits.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Much like Tohka, Yoshino becomes a little friendlier thanks to Shido being nice to her rather than trying to shoot her on sight.
- Blank White Eyes: During the search for Yoshinon, Yoshino's stomach starts to growl, and Shido asks if she's hungry. She tries to deny, but it growls again, making her blush and display these in embarrassment.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: Her raincoat's hood sports bunny ears and a poofy tail, and her puppet Yoshinon is also rabbit-like. Her Angel Zadkiel even takes the shape of a massive ice hare, though it's not exactly cute. The artbook shows that her Demon King Astaroth similarly takes the form of a massive black hare, albeit one that glows with blue flames.
- Chekhov's Gunman: In the anime, when it suddenly starts raining during Tohka and Shido's first date in Episode 3, you can see Yoshino in front of the arcade they take shelter in. Naturally, the following episodes focus on her as the second Spirit Shido meets.
- Consulting Mister Puppet: Yoshino is a good example as she is almost never seen without her hand puppet Yoshinon, and woe betide the people around her when she accidentally lets go of Yoshinon.
- Covert Pervert: Considering some of Yoshinon's comments, she might very well be this. Not to mention, she greatly enjoys Soap Operas, and this is on top of her surprisingly clever tactics in seducing Shido in Volume 12. That last case is even lampshaded by Kotori.
- Crazy-Prepared: When each of the Spirits are given the chance to seduce Shido in Volume 12, Yoshino wears a one-piece swimsuit. But then, when it gets damaged due to DEM attack, Yoshino simply tears off her swimsuit completely to reveal another one, bikini worn. This not only successfully stuns Shido, but Kotori even comments that she is "a terrifying child".
- Curtains Match the Window: Light blue hair with matching eyes.
- Dark Horse Victory: Wins a date with Shido over Tohka and Origami who had been competing with each other for most of the session. To be fair, Yoshinon had declared earlier on that Yoshino would win, though that was likely said in jest. She also won the Spirit battle royale in Volume 20 and earned the right to express her love confession to Shido.
- Death by Despair: Narrowly averted. After her mother stopped visiting her at the hospital, unaware of her death, her health gradually became worse. It was only by becoming a spirit would she recover.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Iori Nomizu sings the second and third ending credits (as well as Yoshino's own end-of-arc song), and is also part of the band "sweet ARMS", which does the opening song for both seasons.
- Eyepatch of Power: Yoshinon has one, as do Yoshino's Angel Zadkiel. The latter is a straight example in that its strength and resilience are enough to ward off the AST more than once. Yoshino also plays it straight when in her Inverse Form, seeing as she wears the same eyepatch.
- Fragile Speedster: She has fairly high reiryoku and is second only to the Yamai sisters in speed, but her strength and defence are lacking.
- Gratuitous English: At the very end of episode 5 of the anime, Yoshinon says "To be continued!"
- Hand Puppet: She carries Yoshinon as her companion puppet and usually speaks through it.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: While she probably meant every word of her confession to Shido in Volume 20, it was just as much intended to push him and Tohka to be open about their feelings for each other before the latter disappears.
- An Ice Person: While she can manipulate all three states of water, this is the main application of her Spirit powers, exhibited by how she whips up a blizzard, freezes opponents' feet or shoots icicles at the drop of a hat.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Which go with her friendly, yet shy personality.
- In the Hood: Her Astral Dress is a green raincoat with bunny ears.
- It Was a Gift: Yoshinon was a gift given to her by her mother while she was at the hospital.
- Making a Splash: She can manipulate the three states of water, though she mostly uses ice for attacking with the light novel also demonstrating she can use rain drops like bullets. It also rains every time she comes to the world.
- Meaningful Name: The kanji "four" in her name. Her surname contains "ice" and "river"
- Mini-Mecha: Zadkiel is, interestingly enough, controlled by Yoshino through an interface on its back.
- Mystical White Hair: Unlike other Inverse Spirits shown so far who keep their hair colors (only darkened for some), Yoshino's blue hair turn white when she enters hers.
- Nice Girl: A very friendly young girl at heart.
- Nice Hat: Wears one after her powers are sealed. Her rabbit-eared coat is pretty neat also. In fact, it's stated that she likes wearing cute hats.
- Older Than They Look: She was turned into a Spirit over 20 years ago, meaning that at the start of Volume 1, she's at least in her early thirties.
- Only One Name: One of two Spirits who doesn't have a surname, the other being Natsumi. Her surname is Himekawa, being originally an Ill Girl who went missing after she was turned into a Spirit over 20 years ago. This detail of course was provided as a correct answer to one of three questions asked by Yoshinon in Spirit Pledge.
- OOC Is Serious Business: She stuns everyone by willingly removing Yoshinon before she confesses to Shido at the end of Volume 20.
- Power Incontinence: Suffers this even more so than other Spirits; if anything happens to Yoshinon, Yoshino's mental state becomes unstable and she ends up either causing rain (at best) or freezing stuff around her (at worst). Also, it rains whenever she comes into this world.
- Power Limiter: Sort of. Yoshinon calms her down enough for her not to use her powers on others.
- Red Baron: Her Angel Zadkiel is the "Frozen Puppet"
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Yoshinon's visible eye, and Zadkiels eyes, are colored red, and in the anime they can glow when Yoshino is pissed. Yoshino's blue eyes also turn red when she is in her Inverse form.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: In a single person. Yoshinon is the outspoken fellow while Yoshino is a shy girl.
- Reluctant Warrior: Doesn't even fight back against the AST if she can help it, if she gets separated from Yoshinon however...
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Starts becoming this with Natsumi since neither of them attend school and stay at home when the others go.
- Security Blanket: She describes Yoshinon as her hero and ideal self, claiming that it's the only reason she can stay calm while avoiding the AST's attacks. Without it, she became much more easily frightened and prone to summoning Zadkiel.
- She's All Grown Up: Happens in Volume 11 where she's turned into a highschooler's age briefly by Natsumi. Happens again in Volume 16, this time as an adult.
- Shrinking Violet: While her Hand Puppet has an outspoken personality, Yoshino herself is quite shy around people. She's much more passive than the other Spirits and has trouble articulating full sentences, relying on Yoshinon to do the talking for her. Later volumes have Yoshino speaking for herself as she gains confidence.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: In addition to being An Ice Person, she's extremely shy and soft-spoken. She deals with this by communicating through her hand puppet Yoshinon whenever the situation calls for a more extroverted approach. This is completely averted in her Inverse Form, however.
- Snarky Nonhuman Sidekick: Yoshinon, being the talkative personality of Yoshino, spends a large amount of its screentime making sarcastic comments on anyone and everyone.
- Split Personality: Reine suggests that Yoshinon is another personality Yoshino developed so she could have a friend to cope with the AST's constant assaults without fighting back. It's a plot point during Natsumi's arc that Yoshinon is an ordinary puppet if Yoshino isn't wearing it.
- Split Personality Take Over: The possible motif of her Inverse form. Unlike every other Inversion shown so far, Yoshino's appearance changes drastically once Inverted: Her hair becomes white, her eyes glow red, and she wears an eyepatch on her right eye; the impression leaves one wonder if Yoshinon takes over her body. This is made more obvious as Inverse Yoshino has a puppet that lacks all of Yoshinon's usual decorations (sans the dress) with its eyes being shut, like a shy girl Yoshino normally is.
- Superpowered Evil Side: While it hasn't appeared in the main story, the artbook released alongside Vol 16 and the Date A Bullet spin-off reveals what her Inverse Form looks like.
- Tender Tears: When she's reunited with Yoshinon thanks to Shido. After that, whenever something happens to Yoshinon...
- Third-Person Person: Yoshinon always refers to itself as "Yoshinon".
- Token Mini-Moe: She's the second one to be introduced in the story after Kotori, with her shy attitude making it more appropriate than Kotori's. Later volumes has her contending with Natsumi's true form as well.
- Water Is Womanly: Yoshino can control the three states of water, but she prefers using ice. She is also a very polite and gentle, if shy, young girl who wouldn't even harm a fly.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Light blue, to be exact.
Kotori Itsuka (五河 琴里)
- Although we see her earlier than the others, she is only revealed to be a Spirit in Volume 4, as the fourth Spirit introduced. See her entry on the Ratatoskr page.
Twin Spirits who appear in Volume 5. They were originally one entity, but for reasons unknown got split into two: Kaguya and Yuzuru. These 2 have very distinctive personalities, and the original personality is gone. They cause a storm every time they appear.
The duo have been fighting 99 times to determine who is the real Yamai, with 25 wins each and 49 draws. On seeing Shido, they decided that their 100th and final battle will be to see who can seduce Shido first.
Voiced by: Maaya Uchida (Kaguya, Japanese), Brittney Karbowski (Kaguya, English); Sarah Emi Bridcutt (Yuzuru, Japanese), Megan Shipman (Yuzuru, English)
Code name: "Berserk"
Angel: Raphael (Bow)
Astral Dress: Elohim Tzabaoth
The twins share the following tropes:
- Archer Archetype: Their Angel's true form is that of a bow, which uses Kaguya's El Re'em as a gigantic arrow, and Yuzuru's El Nahash as the bowstring. The actual bow is formed from both twins' unique wing.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: They initially appear to hate one another, but they both want the other to live to the point they want to sacrifice themselves, and are happy when Shido finds another way. Some of their interactions even seem more like lovers than sisters.
- Boobs of Steel: They're some of the more destructive Spirits, though Kaguya is fairly flat-chested. Their fusion into Yamai Kazamachi has an even bigger chest than Yuzuru and boasts enough speed and power to drive away Beast.
- Birds of a Feather: They each develop a platonic version during their arc. Kaguya became fast friends with her "kinsman" Tohka because she was the only one who took her delusions of grandeur seriously, while Yuzuru started admiring "Master" Origami for giving her advice on seduction (both are also very emotionally reserved).
- Blow You Away: Both have control over wind, and are introduced by brewing a hurricane when fighting over who's the real Yamai for the 100th time.
- Braids of Action: They both have braids only Kaguya has hers wrapped in a bun and Yuzuru has hers in a ponytail.
- Chained by Fashion: Their astral dresses have manacles on one leg and one arm, with broken chains. The positioning shows that they were originally chained to each other.
- Clingy Jealous Girls: Towards Shido.
- Combination Attack: They can do these in battle. Or when playing beach volleyball. Or seducing Shido. Also, this is how they manifest the bow El Kanaph, which is the true form of their Angel. They pull one off with Yoshino in book 9, blowing away an AST team that dropped their territories to avoid Yoshino freezing them.
- Cry Cute: When they finally admit to each other that they want to live on together. Kaguya plays it much straighter than Yuzuru.
- Death of Personality: They explain to Shido that the original Yamai's consciousness is gone, and they're competing over who should have control when they remerge while the loser will essentially disappear. The original Yamai was actually a human girl who received a Sephira Crystal as she was dying from getting run over, but her vanishing twin absorbed in utero resulted in two Spirits from the same Crystal. The sisters' Fusion Dance into Yamai Kamazachi is actually a mixture of their consciousness, and while they regain their memories of their past life, the original Yamai's consciousness is in fact dead and gone, similar to Shido with his previous life as Shinji.
- Early-Bird Cameo: They briefly show up in the OVA, playing Breakout in the arcade. Amusingly enough, both are wearing their Astral Dresses.
- Emergency Transformation: Kazamachi was revived as them after being run over saving a child by becoming a spirit.
- Fusion Dance: In order to fight Beast, Kaguya and Yuzuru fuse together to become the original Kazamachi Yamai. They later defused to avoid being hugged by Miku..
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: The relationship between the twins became this after Yamai split in two, with each sister ostensibly trying to prove their superiority and trash-talking the other. The war ends after they are sealed.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: They engage in this when they first appear before Shido episode 2 of season 2.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Both girls privately tell Shido to pick the other one in episode 3 of season 2, because they care deeply about the other girl, and want them to live on and sacrifice their own body/Spirit in the process. Fortunately Shido offers them a third option, and his decision allows both of them to survive.
- Hesitant Sacrifice: After Shido tells them he can save both, they both tearfully reveal to each other they not only don't want to die, but don't want to lose each other either.
- The Immodest Orgasm: When Shido applies suntan lotion on them at the beach.
- Incest Subtext: The affection they have for each other occasionally slips into this. It's almost always lampshaded and Played for Laughs, though.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: The Yamai Twins' Astral Dresses are not identical. In civilian clothes, they tend to wear opposite colors or mirror each other until eventually developing their own styles. Yuzuru has a ponytail and Kaguya doesn't. Kaguya is slightly taller than Yuzuru. And much to Kaguya's chagrin, Yuzuru has larger breasts than her.
- Lightning Bruisers: The Ratatoskr data book gives them very high stats all around (with the highest being their agility), with the exception being intelligence (though nowhere as low as Tohka). This is quite appropriate for their threat level (AAA). It's also noted their Astral Dress doesn't give them much defense, but also that it wouldn't matter given their power over the wind. Yamai Kazamachi combines their Angels for even more power, and her speed is explicitly portrayed as supersonic.
- Literal Split Personality: It's what they are, being originally halves of the same Spirit. While the reveal that all of the Spirits were all formerly human and shared Easy Amnesia had put this in doubt, said doubt was erased entirely when we finally see Kazamachi, the original Yamai.
- Lovely Angels: Weapons notwithstanding, they're almost always fighting together after they join Shido's harem.
- Meaningful Name: Yamai's first character is the kanji for 8. Kaguya's name has "arrow" and Yuzuru's has "bowstring". Also Kazamachi contains "wind".
- Ms. Fanservice: They're Spirits with a very revealing Astral Dress, and they're properly introduced in the middle of a Beach Episode arc. Naturally, they get the lion's share of volume 5's fanservice.
- New Transfer Students: They join Shido's school (though they're not in his class) in the middle of Volume 5, right in the middle of a field trip. Naturally, Reine has to make up an explanation to Tamae on the spot.
- Not So Different: Both Yamai girls appear to hate each other quite a bit, but Shido finds that they can also work quite well together when they have to.
- Ojou Ringlets: They both got them and they are really long. Probably because they look like cyclones of course.
- OOC Is Serious Business: When they celebrate after teaming up to score a point, the two look quite happy gazing at each other despite having shown hatred for each other prior to this. Shortly after they each separately have a private conversation with Shido, revealing they actually care about the other more than they care about themselves.
- Power Gives You Wings: They each gain one wing when they manifest their Angels. These two wings form the two limbs of their Angel's actual form, a bow.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Kaguya is brash and hotheaded, while Yuzuru is calm and speaks in Terse Talking, not unlike a certain twins with the same illustrator.
- Power Incontinence: A storm appears whenever they do.
- Red Baron: One for their Angel Raphael, "Hurricane Knight"
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Kaguya is the Red and Yuzuru is the Blue. Their Astral Dresses, to an extent, are coloured in a similar manner; Kaguya's is purple and Yuzuru's is blue.
- Shameless Fanservice Girls: Both of them are quite forward in their attempt to seduce Shido.
- Stripperiffic: Their Astral Dresses really stretch the definition, given they bare so much skin and wouldn't look out of place with a stripper / dominatrix outfit.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Their entire shtick. They adore each other. They adore Shido. Of course, they're not about to share him with the other girls if they can help it.
Kaguya Yamai (八舞 耶倶矢)
Voiced by: Maaya Uchida (Japanese), Brittney Karbowski (English)
- Abnormal Ammo: Her lance, El Re'em, is actually used in the twin's combined attack as a massive arrow that is able to pierce through the Arbatel's Deflector Shields and hull.
- Antiquated Linguistics: She intentionally uses on a haughty archaic tone to sound mystic, though she finds herself forgetting to do so at times, especially when Yuzuru's mocking her.
- Chuunibyou: While she is supernatural as a Spirit, her exaggerated speeches like forming a "baptism of darkness with her kinsman" (befriending Tohka) display an overactive imagination. Yuzuru occasionally needs to "translate" it into conventional vocubulary.
- Genki Girl: She's described as outgoing and outspoken, to the point of being childish at times.
- Gratuitous German: She likes dressing things up with random German, like threatening to stab Yuzuru and Shido with her Sturm (later Schatten) Lanze, and calling her hand protector in bowling a Fegefeuer Gauntlet. The Yamais' short story for Ratatoskr's Daily Observations reveals that she keeps a book of foreign words to spice up her attack names, with the German section underlined.
- Jousting Lance: Raphael El Re'em, which is depicted in the anime which is a big, red lance. It's actually a giant arrow.
- Large Ham: On top of being hotheaded, she uses a very dramatic and nearly unrealistic vocabulary, in contrast to the calmer Yuzuru. It's later revealed that she's just acting; she believes being a Spirit is "super awesome", therefore she must act appropriately. After she forgets to use it twice when talking with Shido, she stops using the unique vocabulary, but keeps everything else.Kaguya: "I'm the Kama Sutra incarnate!"
- Petite Pride: While the twins` cup sizes aren`t that much different from each other, when Yuzuru tries to invoke Buxom Is Better in order to win over Shido, Kaguya is quick to answer that sacks of lard can't even begin to compare with her own slender body.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She wears shorts that couldn't be tinier than actual underwear.
Yuzuru Yamai (八舞 夕弦)
Voiced by: Sarah Emi Bridcutt (Japanese), Megan Shipman (English)
- Buxom Is Better: While the twins' cup size aren`t that much different from each other, she invokes this in regards to fighting over Shido against Kaguya, claiming that large breasts are a must. The latter is quick to say the contrary.
- Chain Pain: Her weapon El Nahash is a very long chain.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: A microskirt that covers the bare minimum!
- Deadpan Snarker: For all her calm behaviour, she sure likes to throw harsh insults at Kaguya with a straight face.
- Defiled Forever: Her reaction when Shido seals the twins' powers and causes their Astral Dresses to disappear.Yuzuru: Shedding tears. Yuzuru can't become a bride anymore.
- Dull Surprise: Her response to a human (Shido) interrupting their duel.Yuzuru: Wonder. Yuzuru cannot contain her surprise.
- Improbable Weapon User: A pendulum called El Nahash. It's the bowstring of the Angel's actual form.
- Terse Talker: She almost always talks in this manner, uttering a word expressing the nature of her phrase beforehand. The only time she breaks this is near the end of Volume 5 when she and Kaguya are confessing to each other about not wanting to die and stay with each other, where she tries to do this but is too emotionally pent-up to say the word fully.
- Third-Person Person: Unlike Kaguya, she always refers to herself as "Yuzuru".
Miku Izayoi (誘宵 美九)
Voiced by: Minori Chihara (Japanese), Jad Saxton (English)
Code name: "Diva"
Angel: Gabriel (Organ)
Astral Dress: Shaddai El Chai
First appears in Volume 6. She is shown to be an Idol Singer, with her Spirit power being a magic voice. Hates guys a lot (girls don't fare much better; she sees them only as slaves fit to serve her), so Shido had to crossdress just to approach her. It works; Miku ends up becoming really fond of "Shiori".
- Abhorrent Admirer: Shes not unattractive by any means, but her overt lust toward other girls (especially Natsumi) is often met with repulsion.
- Affably Evil: At first, her politeness is to mask her sinister nature.
- Affectionate Nickname: Gives one to Shido after falling for him, calling him "Darling" in all subsequent encounters. The rest of the girls are not amused.
- Beautiful Singing Voice: The novels often emphasise how pleasant her voice sounds, even without the use of her Angel.
- Big Fancy House: Miku's house are depicted as a large mansion in both anime and the movie.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: While she Does Not Like Men in her introduction, she actually has a low opinion of humanity in general, so she seems friendly (and often flirtatious) toward girls while secretly viewing them as servants.
- Broken Bird: Like Kotori, originally a regular human girl. An up and coming idol until she turned down a producer's offer to have sex, and he ruins her career out of spite. Her attempt to restart her singing career fails when she loses her voice. She considers suicide, but is stopped when Phantom shows up to make her a Spirit. This restores her voice and grants her the ability to manipulate people with it, which she uses to become more popular than ever and cementing her FaceHeel Turn.
- Career Resurrection: In-universe, after Phantom gave her a magic voice she returns to being an Idol Singer, this time using her real name instead of Tsukino Yoimachi.
- Compelling Voice: She's able to make people do what she wants with her voice.
- Cry Cute: When Shido rescues her from Tohka's attack, she simply breaks down in tears, realizing he is the kind of person she was looking for all this time.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It's shown in a Troubled Backstory Flashback that Miku was a rising idol in Japan. Then, her producer ruined her career after she rejected his advances. If that wasn't bad enough, she lost her singing abilities after attempting to restart her career. These actions led to her having a FaceHeel Turn.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She's initially distrustful of anyone, especially towards men. But Shido pulls a Big Damn Heroes moment to rescue Miku at the end of Volume 7, and this is one of the reasons why she has a HeelFace Turn.
- Despair Event Horizon: She seriously considers suicide after falling out show biz and losing her voice while attempting to restart her singing career. Only Phantom's appearance and her transformation into Spirit Diva prevents it. These factors would contribute to her FaceHeel Turn.
- Dissonant Serenity: Her first interaction with Shido has her letting him know just how much she hates him... all while having a gentle smile on her face. Only in the text though; the illustration shows her having a disgusted look.
- Does Not Like Men: She has a Freudian Excuse for it, given her male producer ruined her career as Tsukino Yoimachi and how quick her mostly male fans believed the rumors and turned against her. She eventually warms up to Shido during Volume 7, especially after her HeelFace Turn.
- Driven to Suicide: Before Phantom approached her and turned her into a Spirit, causing her FaceHeel Turn.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: When Shido tells her that he'll do everything in his power to rescue Tohka, she retorts that everyone should fend for themselves. It initially doesn't occur to her that Shido was talking about real, noble qualities like morality, self-sacrifice, strength of character, and the desire to do good because it's the right thing to do. This is one of the reasons she has a HeelFace Turn.
- Evil Diva: She becomes this after her FaceHeel Turn.
- Face Death with Dignity: She decides to resign herself to being killed by Inverse Tohka after using up all of her power... up until Shido pulls his Big Damn Heroes moment.
- FaceHeel Turn: After her career as Tsukino Yoimachi is destroyed, she ends up Jumping Off the Slippery Slope from there.
- Fallen Hero: Once a beloved idol who turned into an Evil Diva willing to mind-control humans.
- Famed in Story: Comes with being an Idol Singer, to the point that Tonomachi was shocked Shido never heard of her prior to the volume she was introduced in.
- Flower Motifs: Her debut novel is titled "Miku Lily", and her Astral Dress includes them on her choker and hairpiece. Lily translates to "Yuri" in Japanese, fitting a lesbian like her.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Went from an up-and-coming idol singer to a Spirit and an Evil Diva to boot.
- Freudian Excuse: Given her Dark and Troubled Past and her FaceHeel Turn, it's no wonder she distrusts anyone, especially men such as Shido. At least up until the latter rescues her from Inverse Tohka towards the end of volume 7.
- Gag Boobs: While Shido and Kurumi are snooping around her house, the latter finds one of Mikus bras and muses that the cup could probably cover her entire face.
- Giant Poofy Sleeves: Part of her Astral Dress.
- The Glomp: She gives one to Shido after pulling a HeelFace Turn. Later volumes have her attempting to do this to the fellow Spirits, especially Tohka.
- HeelFace Turn: After Shido rescues her from Inverse Tohka, Miku returns to the side of good.
- Hime Cut: Word of God says that this was the idea, though the sidelocks arent very long.
- Idol Singer: Her entire character, even before she became a Spirit. Losing her status and her voice is what sends her across the Despair Event Horizon and causes Phantom to offer to make her the Spirit Diva.
- If It's You, It's Okay: To Shido at the end of Volume 7. She even calls him "darling"!Shido: D-Darling?! What are you...? I thought you hated men!Miku: You're special, Darling.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: When she tells "Shiori" that she can make the entire world love her if she chooses to, he replies that he would hate her even more, because her power doesn't work on him. This causes her to tell him that she only wants him more now because of that. It's her subconscious way of wanting someone to appreciate her as normal person.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: She's stated to do this with girls she particularly adores, hence Shido crossdressing to get the opportunity.
- Important Hair Accessory: No matter her clothes, there's always at least a small flower-shaped hair clip in her hair. Her Astral Dress adds a big crescent moon to the clip, as well as what appears to be white lilies. In Volume 8, her removing of said clip so Shido would have something to remember her with if she disappeared gives him the final clue for identifying who Natsumi disguised herself as.
- Incompatible Orientation: Even after proclaiming her love for Shido, she flirts with the straight (or, at the very least, only interested in Shido) other members of Shido's harem (Tohka and Natsumi in particular).
- I Was Just Passing Through: She comes up with several excuses for why she chooses to help Shido rescue Tohka and fight Inverse Tohka.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: She goes from agonizing over her producer ruining her career and losing her voice to an Evil Diva who can mind-control other spirits without a problem.
- Lack of Empathy: She's a borderline sociopath at first.
- Like a God to Me: She addressed Phantom as god during the few times she mentioned about Phantom. Considering that Phantom had saved Miku at the brink of her suicidal depression by restoring her lost voice with a Compelling Voice, she has a good reason for that.
- Logical Weakness: Her voice won't be able to brainwash someone if they can't hear it. Likewise, since her powers comes from her vocal chords, she would be rendered helpless if her mouth is covered, as shown when one of Kurumi's clone dragged Miku into the shadow during their battle.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Her behaviour around cute girls surely counts.
- Magic Music: Her Spirit powers grant her power over anything related to sound, and given her tenure as an idol, she prominently uses her music to her advantage.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: One of the basic applications of her powers has her simply making a shout to knock her opponents flat, or even outright block incoming attacks.
- Meaningful Name: She's a pop star with the same first name as Hatsune Miku. Her given name contains the number 9.
- Mind-Control Music: She has an organ that she can use to to brainwash people with. It doesn't work on everyone however, those immune include unsealed Spirits, Shido and Ellen.
- Musical Assassin: Though she uses her magic voice much, much more.
- Never Be Hurt Again: After hearing her Freudian Excuse, Shido comes to the conclusion that her treating humans like toys is not out of a superiority complex, but fear that she'll be betrayed again like with her previous fanbase.
- Nice Girl: While she starts off as a total Jerkass, she eventually develops into a much nicer person thanks to Shido's influence.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Loves trying to grab, cuddle up with, hug, and kiss Shido and her fellow spirits, which none of them are appreciative of. She even cuddles up with Natsumi while both of them are asleep, thanks to Miku sleepwalking and once grabbed Tohka's boobs from behind in the light novels.
- Oh, Crap!: Miku has a moment of terror when she realizes that Shiori isn't a girl after all.
- Panty Shot: One illustration in Volume 8, while making Shido give her a Bridal Carry.
- Psycho Lesbian: She's introduced as a domineering schoolgirl lesbian with the intent on making "Shiori" hers, and is accompanied by several groupies that are controlled by her powers. Later volumes have her flirting with the other Spirits, particularly Tohka, though by that point she has become one of Shido's friends.
- Red Baron: Her Angel Gabriel is referred to as "Army-Breaking Songstress"
- Serious Business: In the light novels, Miku tells Natsumi that the latter will have to pay royalties to her after Natsumi uses Haniel to replay one of her songs while Shido is trying to seal Origami. According to her, this is because an idol's privileges are very strict.
- Squishy Wizard: Her stats aside from reiryoku are all quite poor, and she often ends up supporting her comrades with her songs instead of fighting directly. In Volume 20, she reveals a new fighting style weaponizing Gabriel's pipes that she developed out of awareness of this.
- Sore Loser: She just can't accept losing to teamwork at first. When Raizen High wins over her, she uses her powers to manipulate everyone into capturing Shido for her.
- Stage Name: Went by the stage name Tsukino Yoimachi, until her Break the Cutie moment. After gaining her Spirit powers and pulling a FaceHeel Turn, she returned to the stage under her true name.
- Start of Darkness: She had a rough life after her producer ruined her career as Tsukino Yoimachi, but losing her voice and trying to reconnect her fans seems to have been the final straw.
- The Tease: Flirts with Shiori. Flirts with the other Spirits. Flirts with rival idols. Flirts with random schoolgirls. Flirts with Darling. She flirts with everything as long as it's female (or Shido).
- This Is Gonna Suck: Miku has one when she has exhausted the last of her powers against Inverse Form Tohka. When her opponent prepares to finish her, she forces a laugh and resigns herself to an imminent death... then Shido saves her and she subsequently pulls a HeelFace Turn.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: She undergoes a change in temperament after her producer ruined her career and Phantom transformed her into a Spirit at the cost of falling to the dark side.
- Took a Level in Kindness: She eventually becomes a nicer person towards the end of Volume 7 after Shido rescues her from Inverse Tohka.
- Tsundere: Briefly became a Type A during the climax of Volume 7, where she's distrustful toward him as a human male but is just curious enough about the lengths he'll go to save Tohka that she'll reluctantly help him out.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: By brainwashing Yoshino and the Yamai twins, she made it that much easier for Ellen to kidnap Tohka.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Her Troubled Backstory Flashback reveals that she was indeed a sweet kid until her producer ruined her career and Phantom appeared and granted her the power of a Spirit, both of which cause her FaceHeel Turn. The "Used to be part" goes away once she falls for Shido.
- Wingding Eyes: Sports this in Date A Live Encore Volume 2 when saw Tohka in swimsuit◊ during Tennou Festival, coupled with Perverted Drooling.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Closer to violet, but still counts.
Voiced by: Ayumi Mano (Japanese), Katelyn Barr (English)
Code name: "Witch"
Angel: Haniel (Broom)
Astral Dress: Adonainote Tzabaoth
A Spirit who makes her first appearance in Volume 8. Shido's the first non-AST person she met. Things were going well in his attempt to seal her powers. Then she sneezes, causing a flash of light, and her getting angry at him because he saw something about her that she didn't want him to see (he actually didn't get to see anything). She takes the form of Shido and makes advances on all his acquaintances in school before being found out by Tohka and Origami, after which she escapes and issues Shido photos of 12 people close to him, and challenges him to find her out before they all disappear.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Natsumis true form in the novels is described as having a sickly appearance that the anime doesnt really convey.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Meets all the DSM-V criteria for body dysmorphic disorder, such as perceiving her body as having major flaws that appear minor or unnoticeable to anyone else, and comparing her appearance to others which causes her significant distress in relating to others, due in part to how she perceives others as seeing her. I.E. Very negatively and completely at odds with reality, basically thinking that they're all making fun of her behind her back and really thinking she's ugly while she does everything in her power to hide her percieved flaws. Ironically, she Miku's type (a cute young lady) and gets harrassed by her a lot.
- Ambiguously Bi: Flat-out thinks to herself about wanting to marry Yoshino, but its unknown how sincere this statement is.
- Butt-Monkey: She's Miku's favorite target for sexual harassment.
- Cry Cute: When Shido and the other Spirits rescue her and all of them forgive what she did before, as well as praising her actions. Coupled with Tender Tears.
- Curtains Match the Window: Green hair with green eyes.
- Cuteness Proximity: She gets really close to Yoshino starting by Volume 10, even getting herself flustered by saying she'd marry her, though how serious this remark was at the time isn't shown. Then in Volume 12, she mentions in her thoughts that Yoshino is a goddess.
- Cute Witch: Her true form is that of a young girl around the same age as Yoshino. It's something she would rather not show to people, as she doesn't think she's cute, and promptly transforms the girls of the main cast into 9-year-old children before she flees.
- Determinator: In Volume 13, she skips sleep to finish the book the Spirits are working on together so it will be ready to challenge Nias book in sales. She declares that she wants to make herself useful and prove the value of their friendship.
- Disproportionate Retribution: After she assumes Shido saw her true form, she impersonates him and starts making his friends disappear in order to make him feel true despair.
- The Eeyore: She has a very negative mindset and is quick to assume that everyone hates her. Her self-esteem slightly improves after getting sealed, but she's still noted to have the weakest mental fortitude among the Spirits.
- Empathic Shapeshifter: The buxom form she initially adopts is actually a response to how she perceives the world after several visits on Earth in the past. Shido persuades her to grow out of it and stay true to herself, although she's not above using it to tease him and Kotori.
- Easily Forgiven: By Shido and the other Spirits when they rescue her from AST forces by the end of volume 9, despite her efforts trying to make Shido a Hero with Bad Publicity and turning the other Spirits into children.
- Emergency Transformation: She was given her powers to save her from being strangled to death by her mother.
- Expy: She was inspired by Atsuko Kagami from Himitsu no Akko-chan, who can also transform with a mirror.
- Flying Broom Stick: Her Angel takes the form of a Witch's broom. She often rides on it while flying.
- Fountain of Youth: She turns the main cast into 9-year-old children once they catch sight of her true form.
- Freudian Excuse: She grew up with an abusive mother who regularly beats her. Her attempts at being a good daughter backfired as it caused her mother to hate her even more. She would even be called ugly by her often while growing up. This treatment resulted in her presuming the worst of people as well as her own appearance.
- The Gadfly: She likes to tease people fairly often. In her case it seems to be to both get a reaction as shown with Kotori (when teasing her about being short), and having trouble expressing herself as seen with Yoshino (when she says she'd like to marry her to her embarrassment).
- Healing Hands: She can apply first aid that by transforming someones body into one without injuries.
- Heel Realization: Once Shido searches for Natsumi and helps protect Tenguu City with the other spirits, she realizes that her actions in ruining Shido's life were in the wrong and cries.
- Hot Witch: Her assumed form.
- I Am Not Pretty: The reason why she uses the aformetioned Hot Witch form is because she doesn't consider her true form as pretty. This is due to the abuse from her mother, to the point where she wondered if she would've been spared from the abuse if she was born prettier.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's introduced as a self-absorbed jerk who seeks to make Shido a Hero with Bad Publicity. After seeing Shido do everything to find her when the entire town was in danger, hearing everyone still speak good of her when she thought they'd speak ill behind her back, and their efforts to protect Tenguu City all help Natsumi experience a Heel Realization and finally begin to trust others. Her negative way of thinking hasn't fully vanished, but at least she's a lot nicer to Shido and the other Spirits now.
- Magic Mirror: Her Angel contains a mirror which transforms whatever it sheds light on. She can trap her targets inside it.
- Master of Disguise: Thanks to her shapeshifting powers, she can turn into whatever she wants. During Volume 8, she disguised herself as Yoshinon, Yoshino's puppet, though the farce is only revealed when Yoshinon was able to react to something Yoshino couldn't, and that Yoshinon knew of its time in Origami's house; both of which were impossible since Yoshinon was a Split Personality of Yoshino, meaning it couldn't know anything that Yoshino didn't, and that outside of Yoshino's control Yoshinon was nothing more than a puppet.
- Meaningful Name: The first kanji in her name can be read 7. Her surname contains "mirror".
- Messy Hair: Her hair is quite unruly in her true form, which is one of her many insecurities about it.
- Only One Name: Like Yoshino, she doesn't have a surname when she was introduced. Volume 22 reveals her surname to be Kyouno, though in previous volume she had assumed it to be Nekuragawa or Inkiyada.
- Overnight Age-Up: Her Hot Witch incarnation is fake.
- Power Copying:
- Haniel's Kaleidoscope ability is this, allowing Natsumi to make Haniel a lesser copy of another Angel, capable of utilizing their lesser powers.
- On a more downplayed level, her ability to mimic people is so great that she's able to copy their skill level, this was best shown in Volume 13 where she revealed she could draw at the level of a professional illustrator.
- Red Baron: Her Angel Haniel has one befitting its powers, "Witch of Forgery"
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: She starts becoming this with Yoshino since they don't attend school and stay at home when the others go.
- Shapeshifting: Her Angel's main power in a nutshell. She uses this several times on herself in volume 8, practically confusing the main characters in the process. Then, there's the fact that she can also transform other people into whatever she pleases.
- Squishy Wizard: Ratatoskr puts her physical stats rather low. This is shown when she gets quickly subdued by Ellen even after turning her into a child. Like Nia, she spends much of the Spirit battle royale trying to avoid a direct fight with anyone.
- Tears of Remorse: After realizing how wrong her actions were towards Shido and the spirits at the end of volume 9.
- Unkempt Beauty: Her true form.
- Unstoppable Rage: When Shido sees her true form. Twice.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: After the events in volume 8 and most of volume 9, this is essentially what Shidou tries to do to get Natsumi to open up to him and the rest of the girls. It takes a while to stick.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has green hair.
Nia Honjou (本条 二亜)
Code name: "Sister"
Angel: Rasiel (Book)
Astral Dress: Yod
- A-Cup Angst: She once tried to have Shido remove an envelope from her chest, only to fall into despair when it simply falls to the floor.
- The Alcoholic: Nia is a pretty heavy drinker; the datebook lists alcohol as her favorite thing, and Shido found that her fridge was full of nothing but bottles (she'd rather eat instant food than spend valuable time cooking). She boasts that being a Spirit has prevented any adverse effects on her health.
- Berserk Button: If you're going to cosplay a character she likes, get their personality down to the slightest detail.
- Boyish Short Hair: She has short spiky hair comparable to Shidos. Among the Spirits, only Origamis is anywhere near as short. Word of God says that she was designed to avoid conventions for light novel girls.
- Butt-Monkey: Some of it is comedic (like MARIA constantly belittling her), some of it not so much (captured and tortured by DEM for 5 years, then losing her powers for most of the story).
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Bears these, befitting her appearance of a nun, including one wrapped around her waist.
- Cursed With Awesome: Even more so than the other Spirits as she actually hates having her powers, and Rasiel made it too hard to trust people due to fearing the curiosity of using its ability on them and finding unpleasant parts of their past.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Torture from DEM aside, she tells Shido in Volume 14 that before she became a Spirit, there was an event that caused her to lose all hope in living.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: What happens to her after losing most of her Crystal. She can only use her limited Astral Dress at most, and her Angel gives mostly incomprehensible information when asked. This prevents her or Shido from just looking up anyones Mysterious Past or preparing for DEMs threats, and keeps her Reality Warper powers off limits.
- Fangirl: As expected of an otaku, she really likes gushing about manga-related things, as well cosplay.
- Great Big Book of Everything: Her Angel Rasiel is compared to a super powerful search engine". It does have some limitations: it cant alert her to danger because it only gives her the info shes directly asking for (which allowed Ellen to capture her through an ambush), it cant see the future or peoples thoughts, and it cant answer subjective questions.
- Heroic BSoD: When she remembers the torture she endures... things go haywire pretty quickly.
- Hey, You!: She addresses Shido as Boy.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She lost her memory like most of the Spirits, however due to Rasiel's powers she was able to remember what she forgot, including that she used to be human. She was also made to forget the Cold-Blooded Torture Westcott put her through, as he determined that she would go catatonic before she inverted. He waited until she started to open her heart to Shido before restoring her memories, this time making her Inverse.
- Meaningful Name: Her given name contains the kanji for 2, and her surname contains the kanji for book.
- Meganekko: She wears glasses in her normal outfits, though they seem to disappear when she summons her Astral Dress.
- Meta Gal: Being a mangaka, she often observes writing elements within the story.
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: A variation; Rasiel cannot actually read people's minds, but she can look up everything the person has said or done. Nia ended up closing her heart to humans after reading into one too many unpleasant pasts, but deep down, she'd rather not have this ability to pry into peoples' lives so she could try to make friends again.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Feels this way toward Kurumi, who took her Sephira Crystal from Westcott in Volume 19 while still having her own time powers.
- Naughty Nuns: Her Astral Dress is a nun's habit. Made of GAUZE. She even lampshades how revealing it is.
- Near-Death Experience: She's the first Spirit that almost died due to Artemisia taking out her Qlipha Crystal while Inversed. Shido only managed to save her by sealing her allowing the cycle of Spirit power to slowly heal her, and only because Tohka was able to notice she still had any left.
- Nerf: A notable example compared to the other Spirits, as her Angel is left incomplete after most of her Crystal is taken, she is literally only able to access her limited Astral Dress at best.
- The Nicknamer: She rarely ever addresses anyone by their actual names. Examples include Natssun (Natsumi) and Manacchi (Mana, who believes that shes being compared to an aquatic mammal). She even nicknamed her Angel Rasiemon.
- No-Sell: Phantom is immune to Rasiel's omniscience, which says a lot about how mysterious the being really is. This doesn't seem to be the case with the First Spirit as mentioned in Secret Keeper below.
- Older Than They Look: Nia looks around 18-19, but she stopped aging when she became a Spirit over 27-28 years ago.
- The Omniscient: Her Rasiel's primary ability is this.
- Otaku: She is a huge fan of anime and manga.
- Reality Warper: Everything written is Rasiel is true, so reality will contort itself to whatever she writes (or draws) in it.
- Red Baron: Fittingly, her Angel Rasiel is described as "Tome of Revelation." Similarly, her Demon King Beelzebub is described as "Tome of Divine Corruption"
- Riddle for the Ages: The exact impetus for Phantom turning her into a Spirit is never revealed.
- Secret Keeper: She knows a lot about the First Spirit and avoids sharing it with people she doesn't trust with it. This is the reason why Kurumi looks for her.
- Downplayed in regards to Elliot having helped found the DEM and summoning the First Spirit, as she only hides it up until the group meets him in person.
- Squishy Wizard: Ratatoskrs data puts her physical stats very low. While Rasiel has amazing information gathering, its combat abilities are almost nonexistent, though this doesnt seem to apply as much to Beelzebub. She spends the Spirit battle royale sneaking around trying to team up with someone because she knows her combat abilities are pretty much dead last.
- Story-Breaker Power: Rasiel knows everything, and can bend future events to an extent. This is on top of the abilities displayed by Beelzebub, Rasiel's counterpart to create monsters made of its papers and trap people in an alternate reality made by fictional stories. It's no wonder such a power was taken away by DEM before Shido could add it to his Spirit power arsenal.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Just like Tohka and Origami, Nia enters her Inverse Form from negative emotions as a result of a Memory Gambit Westcott pulled on her. Unlike them however, Westcott managed to steal it from her and take its power, so she likely no longer has access to it.
- Superpower Lottery: With her Angel, there are very little things Nia cannot achieve by herself. Its powers are even compared to a god's by Kotori and Shido. The possibilities are only really inhibited by her pacifistic nature, as she doesn't even want to provide information to someone who would abuse it.
- The Tease: She repeatedly flusters Shido with acts like putting an envelope with his pay in Victoria's Secret Compartment (pity she isn't large enough to pull it off), and exposing herself while half-undressed as she changes to a cosplay outfit of his choice.
- Timeline-Altering MacGuffin: Her Angel is kind of this, it can set how events will happen a few minutes into the future.
- The Worf Effect: Her Inverse form is subjected to this twice, first by Shido who almost managed to return Nia back to normal with his multiple Angels, and then by Artemisia, Westcott's newest Dragon who removed her Qlipha Crystal singlehandedly, leaving Nia with Drama-Preserving Handicap.
- Was Once a Man: Notable because she is the Second Spirit, she became a Spirit after touching a Sephira Crystal 27-28 years ago, she briefly forgot this but remembered due to the abilities of her Angel telling her what she forgot. This also makes her believe this is the case for every other Spirit.
Mukuro Hoshimiya (星宮 六喰)
Code name: "Zodiac"
Angel: Michael (Key)
Astral Dress: Eloah
- Ambiguous Innocence: What makes Mukuro a dangerous and ultimately pitiable character is that everything she does is born from a lack of moral understanding and fear of being hurt by being abandoned again. The latter of which is the reason why she sealed her emotions to begin with.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Have the Spirits Shido sealed actually had safer lives as a result? Shido spends much of Volume 14 in distress because he feels that theyre in fact put in greater danger with their reduced power.
- Antiquated Linguistics: She has the tendency to speak in archaic style, before and after her emotions were unlocked.
- After her emotions were unlocked, she address Shidou as Nushi-sama, a polite form of honorific used by women in Edo period to addressing males (typically their husband or master).
- Attack Reflector: Not quite, but Michael's ability to manipulate space allows Mukuro to redirect every physical aggression right back at her opponent. She destroys the first wave of DEM spaceships attacking her through this method.
- The Aloner: Mukuro isolates herself in outer space because she wants to be alone. And she will go to extreme lengths if it means protecting her solitude.
- Badass Boast: There exists not an angel capable of surpassing Mukus Michael.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: She can survive the harsh environment of outer space solely due to her Spirit powers and Astral Dress.
- Blade on a Stick: Michael's true form is that of a halberd, which can be accessed by activating "Shifuru" ("Release"). This form utilizes Michael's abilities to its fullest extent.
- Boobs of Steel: Her powers surpass that of even Kurumi's in their potential and destruction, and she's quite buxom in proportion to her body.
- Celestial Body: Parts of her Astral Dress resemble the void of space, complete with constellations.
- Cleavage Window: Her Astral Dress exposes her large bust.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Even more so than Tohka and Origami. After falling in love with Shido for real, she seals everybody else's memories of him so that he stays with her forever, and later tries to stop the Earths rotation and end all life so nobody can get between them.
- Cool Key: Her Angel, Michael.
- Curtains Match the Window: Blond hair and gold eyes.
- Death from Above: She enters the story by sending the debris of DEM spaceships she wrecked upon 42 points across the globe.
- Emotionless Girl: Due to using Michael to lock away her emotions, she speaks and thinks like a robot.
- Foil: To Shido, of all people. Both grew up while being abandoned by their birth parents and eventually entered a foster family. But while Shido had his closed heart opened by his new family, Mukuro choose to seal her own afterwards.
- They both gained a sister as an adoptive sibling, but where Shido got Kotori as a younger sister who became a Spirit, Mukuro gained an older sister and was the one who became a Spirit.
- Gag Boobs: Mukuro's bust is often noted as ridiculously big when she otherwise has the proportions of a middle schooler like Kotori.
- Gold-Colored Superiority: Her hair, eyes, and Sephira Crystal are all golden, and she possesses the most absurdly powerful Angel in the series aside from Mios.
- Hoist by Her Own Petard: In Volume 18, Mio's Ain Soph manipulates her wormholes so she ends up stabbing herself with her own Angel.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Her Angel in "Shifuru" form increases her already ridiculous base abilities further. She can fight evenly against Inverse Tohka when it is active, and could've delivered a lethal blow with "Jerez" had Shidou not shielded Inverse Tohka and Origami from it.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Mukuro is ultimately just an orphan so desperate for love that she'll resort to extremes whenever she thinks she's secured it.
- Important Haircut: In Volume 22, she resolves to "leave the past behind" as she has Shido cut her hair to the length seen in images of the previous chapter.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: After her emotions are unlocked, she tells Shido that she's so thankful to him that she accepted his self-introductory offer* to become his "flesh slave" and even asked about its meaning, much to the shock to everyone around.
- Lack of Empathy: Justified when her emotions are sealed. She has no problem with bombarding the planet with spaceship debris in retaliation to DEM's attack on her, and is willing to annihilate the entire human race (by stopping Earth's rotation) simply because Shido interferes with her desire to be alone.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Michael can lock away memories. She did to herself to forget why she locked her emotions and went into space, and later does it to everyones memory of Shido so she can have him all to herself (which she also did to her adoptive family, with their consequent rejection of her leading to her aforementioned self-exile).
- Meaningful Name: Her given name contains the kanji for the number six. Her surname contains "star", befitting the constellations on her Astral Dress and her initial dwelling in outer space.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Unintentionally giving Shido a potentially fatal injury hits her so hard that she starts to inverse, but Shido manages to stop it by sealing her powers.
- Nobody Touches the Hair: Her mood turns sour the moment Shido innocently suggests that she could benefit from a haircut. When Inverse Tohka happens to cut off a few strands, she enters her Super Mode intent on utterly annihilating her. After her sealing, she gives Shido permission to cut her hair, explaining that only those she considers family are allowed to touch it.
- Not So Different: After Shido manages to take a look into his memories, he realizes that when she refused to share him with the others that her intentions were being motivated by pure love and innocence rather than any true ill will. This comes from the fact that like Shido, she was an orphan that felt empty and starving for love.
- Rapunzel Hair: Has the longest hair of any of the Spirits. It's so long that not only it reachs the floor, but even when braided it can be used in place of a scarf. She's very attached to her long hair because Shido likes it, and because in the past, her sister would braid it while they were stargazing. At the end of Volume 15, she says only Shido can cut her hair because she considers him her family. By Volume 21, her hair is much shorter, but still long.
- Red Baron: Her Angel Michael is also referred as "Seal-Removing Lord"
- Semantic Superpower: One half of Michael's abilities, "Segva" is the power to "lock" the traits of the object the Cool Key touches. It can lock anything from physical capabilities to abstract concepts, she used the ability to lock her own emotions in the past. It can disable machines, lock away emotions and memories, and even stop Earth's rotation.
- Shoutout: Her Angel's design and powers heavily resemble a keyblade from Kingdom Hearts.
- Space Master: The other half of Michael's abilities, "Rataibu" ("Unlock") is to tear open wormholes in the fabric of space-time, allowing Mukuro to send any object (herself included) to anywhere she wants. She uses this to teleport herself, redirect attacks, and even summon meteors from who knows where as projectiles.
- Story-Breaker Power: With Michael's Semantic Superpower and Space Master abilities, Mukuro is perhaps the single most powerful Spirit shown thus far (which is fitting, considering her Angel's name). At full power, she can even stop the rotation of the Earth, which would wipe out the entire surface life.
- Super Mode: Using "Shifuru" on herself gives her a warrior Astral Dress and turns Michael into a halberd. All of her stats get boosted (except intelligence), and she can fight on par with (and earn praise from) Inverse Tohka.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Just like Tohka, Origami and Nia before her, the Inverse form. Unlike the past examples however her transformation was averted at the last moment, but considering her threat level mentioned in Superpower Lottery below, had she actually entered it...
- Superpower Lottery: Shido comments that her danger level can be compared to, if not outright surpasses, Kurumi and Inverse Spirits. She's even able to fight evenly against Inverted spirits as seen during her fight with Inverse Tohka in volume 15.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives a rather scathing one to Shido, by calling him out on his hypocrisy by claiming to save the Spirits by sealing their powers, while in reality he makes them more vulnerable to threats such as Deus Ex Machina Industries.
- Third-Person Person: She refers to herself as "Muku".
- The Unfettered: Because of her lack of emotions, Mukuro isn't really mentally affected by anything.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: By sealing off everyone elses memory of Shido, Tohkas subconscious feeling of losing someone important causes her to once again slip into her Inverse form, who immediately goes after Shidos head in retaliation for the humiliation he put her through last time.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: She doesnt hesitate to stand up to Inverse Tohka to protect Shido.
- Yandere: When Shido does manage to reach her heart in volume 15, Mukuro takes love so seriously that she locks away everyone elses memories of him so she can have him for herself. Luckily it becomes downplayed when Shido sees her memories and realizes why she takes it so seriously.
Angel: Metatron, Rasiel, Zafkiel, Zadkiel, Camael, Haniel, Raphael, Gabriel, Sandalphon (Blade-Type)
Astral Dress: Beast-Type
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: Five claws floating over her right hand can cut through even the fabric of spacetime. They can be merged together to create Sandalphon; her 10th sword is actually Nahemah.
- All Your Powers Combined: Surrounded by ten swords, each of which can channel the power of one of the Ten Angels.
- Alternate Self: She's actually Tohka from a parallel world, who completely lost it when her world's Shido died.
- Beast of the Apocalypse: A sentence describing her uses the same kanji used to described the Beast of Revelation in the Japanese version of the New Testament.
- The Berserker: Most of her lines are an anguished scream, and she earned the codename Beast for attacking everything in sight.
- Despair Event Horizon: In the alternate timeline she comes from, Shido's death led to Tohka turning into Beast, killing the other spirits, and eventually destroying the world.
- I Choose to Stay: She chooses to stay in her world so as not to leave behind the memories of her Shido.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Upon regaining her sanity, she openly weeps upon seeing the surviving humans of the world she destroyed.
- Mystical White Hair: A supernatural being with pure white hair.
- Name Amnesia: Only line she speaks in volume 21 other than a scream is telling Shido she's long since forgotten her name. She is later revealed to be the Tohka of an alternate world where Shido died.
- Person of Mass Destruction: More so than any other Spirit given all her abilities and barely sentient mind. She almost completely devastated her own world.
- Rapunzel Hair: Tohka's knee-length hair didn't get any shorter despite losing its color.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She has red eyes and little thought beyond ravaging the world.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: After parting ways with Shido, she encounters her world's Kurumi, who implies that Tohka only killed one of her clones to obtain Zafkiel's blade and offers to help her fix all the death and destruction she caused to her world.
- Victor Gains Loser's Powers: Gains the other girls' Angels as swords after murdering them in her timeline.