Disclaimer: The information on this page may not be canonical as this Character Page is part of the Just for Fun section for the "Daring Do" franchise, a series of books within a show introduced in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. While some of the characters and tropes are canonical from the show, others are strictly fan creations.
A pegasus with tan fur and a grayscale mane who is the heroine of the series. She is the head of the Equinology Department of Canterlot University, and stops at nothing to grab treasures from dungeons and temples all over the world.
- Action Mare
- Adventurer Archaeologist:
- Adventurer Outfit: Complete with indestructible pith helmet.
- Affectionate Nickname: Bravado affectionately calls her "Magpie". Much to her annoyance.
- Alliterative Name
- Anti-Heroine: Type II
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Bookworm: She is an archaeologist after all.
- Badass in Distress: Even when she's tied up, she still manages to be awesome.
- Badass Teacher
- Bizarre Taste in Food: For some reason, she always adds a pinch of salt to her water. This might be a reflex from being 'out in the field' for so long; adding a small dash of salt to water makes it more effective as a thirst-quencher.
- Brainy Brunette
- Combat Pragmatist: One of the most famous examples: after going through several battle and chase scenes in The Wooden Mask, she is challenged to a duel by a villainous Master Swordspony, who shows off his BFS. Cue Daring kicking him in the face.
- Daring Escape: Trope Namer. She has to outrun a lot of these types of booby traps in several dungeons.
- Daring Hat Roll: Another Trope Namer. Not the first, but certainly the most famous frequent user of it.
- Daring Ploy: Yet another Trope Namer. She never bothers with plans, she only makes it up as she goes along.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Determinator: Nothing's going to stop her from getting the MacGuffin of each book.
- Dude Magnet: Downplayed, but on at least two instances she gets a fair amount of stallions insisting that they get to "show her around". This annoys her greatly.
- The Heroine
- The Lad-ette: Heavy drinker, tough and uncompromising, rarely dresses femininely, and always ready for action.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Sort of. during Temple of Nightmare Moon, it's implied that she might be a descendant of Nightmare Moon. but then again, it was Ahuizotl the one who said it, so he maybe was lying.
- Married to the Job: Her reason for rebuffing stallions' advances. Not that ship teases don't occur...
- Meaningful Name: She is a Doer of Daring Things.
- Ms. Exposition: Is usually the one to fulfill the role.
- Never Gets Drunk: We never get specifics, but considering that The Platinum Crown starts with Daring in a drinking contest at a bar, and her opponent, a Diamond Dog six times her body weight, passes out before he can finish his last round, this is pretty much what the author was wanting her older audience to get.
- Seriously, how did the censors let this scene through? Especially Derring's comment when she walks in on the scene: I see you're using your pay as wisely as ever, sister dear.
- Nice Hat
- Omniglot: It's kind of a requirement for an Adventure Archaeologist.
- Parental Abandonment: Daring is hinted to have essentially been raised by her big sister after their parents went missing while hunting down the Platinum Crown. Her father is revealed to be alive in The Griffon's Goblet
- Replacement Goldfish: She sees Mirror Dreams as one for Derring.
- Ship Tease: In roughly equal amounts with Bravado and Herpy, though it never actually goes anywhere.
- Trademark Favorite Drink: She loves apple tea.
- "Well Done, Daughter" Pony: In Griffon's Goblet, Daring discovers her dad is alive. In the following volume, her dad is an actual character whom she feels she had to live up to his standards growing up, and the volume puts a good deal of focus on their struggling to get along.
- Whip It Good: Sometimes carries one on her as her Weapon of Choice.
Daring's older sister and rival archaeologist. She first appears and works alongside her siblings in Griffon's Goblet, though her relationships with them aren't really fleshed out until the prequel Platinum Crown. Near-identical to Daring, though with a darker coat, a much lighter grey mane, and bright green eyes. She takes her work extremely seriously, and harbours a multitude of bad feelings towards her siblings. She's dedicated to proving that she's the best, and actually lives up to her claims on more than a few occasions. She acted as Daring and Darrin's de facto guardian after their parents went missing.
Played by Angelina Jockie in the film series.
- Action Mare
- Adventurer Archaeologist
- Aloof Big Sister
- Always Someone Better: Derring Do has repeatedly proven that she's a better explorer than Daring is. Interestingly, however, Ahuizotl can't stand her, and when she gets involved in one of his schemes instead of Daring, he doesn't set the usual Death Trap and instead curb-stomps her and takes the artifact that Daring must then retrieve along with rescuing her sister. He states he could do the same to Daring as well but chooses not to since it's more fun to struggle with her.
- Badass in Distress: She can hold her own more than well, but occasionally needs to be bailed out by her siblings.
- Berserk Button: Comparing her to Daring does not go over well. In fact, it will get you kicked in the face. Just ask Bravado.
- Break the Haughty: Twice in her introduction, both courtesy of Darrin. The first time, when he delivers an epic rant against her, she tries to pretend it didn't bother her, though Daring notes she was clearly a bit hurt. The second time, she overhears Darrin talking to Herpy about how she abandoned him and Daring. This forces Derring to confront how horrible she's been to her siblings, and thus, knocks her down a couple pegs. Of course, she's still pretty arrogant, but she gets better over the course of the series.
- Deadpan Snarker: Shows shades of this, particularly towards her siblings.
- Dub Name Change: Overseas productions tend to change her name to other things, which leads might lead to dub induced plotholes.
- Heroic BSoD: In Alicorn's Shadow. Mareton pulls apart her boastfulness and the Daddy Issues all the way to the breaking point.
- Insufferable Genius: She thinks very highly of herself in her abilities as an archaeologist, straining her relationship with her siblings.
- Jerkass: Starts out as this. Her arrogance, bitterness, and unrepentant smugness towards her siblings makes her thoroughly hard to like. However, she eventually evolves into:
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Especially in Trials Of Unity onwards when her more loving side takes the fore.
- The Lancer: Likes to think of herself as The Hero, but ends up as this mostly.
- Omniglot: It's kind of a requirement for an Adventure Archaeologist.
- Promotion to Parent: A responsibility that Derring did not enjoy accepting. She felt that her role as their carer had robbed her of her livelihood. She wasn't able to become the explorer that she wanted to be. As soon as her siblings were old enough to care for themselves, she left, never to be seen again by either of them for several years. This is a bit of a sore spot for Darrin, to say the least.
Daring and Derring's younger brother. First appears in a brief flashback in Sapphire Stone, listening to Daring's exposition on the Stone. He handles the logistics of Daring's adventures (procuring transportation and equipment, information and the like) and he's not afraid to bend the law slightly to help his sisters. As the two helped raise him, taking time from their own lives to care for him, he has a near-obsessive fear of being considered a further burden on them, so he tries to help the two in as many ways as possible "behind the scenes".
Daring adores him and openly accepts any aid he can offer her, but Derring's relationship with her younger brother is, at best, strained. She finds Darrin's belief that she, as his older sister, would ever require help from him as some sort of insult to her abilities as an adventurer. Darrin still feels obligated to help her, even if this help is spurned, so when such a situation arises, he ensures Derring receives this aid without it appearing he had anything to do with it.
Played by Dante Bronco in the film series.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Big Little Brother: Darrin is the youngest of the Do siblings, but is quite muscular and is often mistakenly believed to be the oldest. Despite the fact that he doesn't take part in Daring or Derring's adventures, he's quite capable of fending for both himself and his sisters should the need arise.
- Closet Geek: Seems to be a secret fan of the comic book "Sasquatch Mafia", but isn't telling anypony.
- Dating Catwoman: In Charms of the Skin-trotter, has the beginnings of one with Many Masks.
- Deadpan Snarker: Shows shades of this.
- Emotional Bruiser: He's big but his emotions aren't really kept hidden aside from being a bit quiet.
- Genius Bruiser
- Heroic Safe Mode: Invokes this to get Daring back on the case in Staff of Starswirl.
- Interspecies Romance: More like Interspecies Fetish. In the main series, he's mentioned to have gone out with two zebras, a mule, has hit on Silvia Clawson, and has an on-and-off again relationship with Doris the donkey. Daring jokes she's never actually seen him go out with a pony.
- Continues with the buffalo Many Masks in Charms of the Skintrotter.
- Lovable Jock: He actually got an athletic scholarship to university instead of an education-based one. He also tutored the other members of his skyball team.
- Non-Action Guy: By choice, because he can fight when pushed.
- The Other Bravado: Set to be replaced with a younger actor for the prequel Trident of the Seaponies, though Bronco does plan to return.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After years of being resented by Derring, and then not seeing her for over five years, he finally snaps and unloads everything he's been thinking.
- The Smart Guy: Deals a lot of helpful information for his sisters.
Daring, Derring, and Darrin's father. The Do siblings' inspiration, but his disappearance in their youth has been a source of contention for them. Was the leader of a similar group of explorers, many years ago. Daring rescues him from the Great Intellect in Curse of the Yeti and brings him home.
Played by John de Flankcie in the film series.
- Action Dad
- Adventure Archaeologist: Goes back generations.
- The Atoner: Deeply, deeply regrets going away for so long.
- Badass in Distress: In Curse of the Yeti and Secrets of Hydia.
- Disappeared Dad: Was one, and there are a few hints that he had the same thing happen with him and his own father.
- Nopony Calls Me Chicken: His younger days, he didn't back down from a challenge.
- Odd Friendship: Seemingly forms one post Secrets of Hydia with the reformed Smooze. It's directly mentioned that he's visiting it in Sins of the Father as part of the reason he's not around to offer advice.
- Papa Wolf: Doesn't appreciate anypony messing with his family.
- Retired Badass: Shows up more in the Expanded Universe, but he can still wipe the floor with a couple of Hoofstapos.
- You Remind Me of Your Mother: Says this to Daring at one point in Curse of the Yeti.
Daring, Derring, and Darrin's Missing Mom, who was an archaeologist and died on an expedition when they were little. Not much is known about her other than that, except that Daring apparently looks and acts a lot like her. Her name is never given in the series, but it's said to be Daria in The Fires of Family and the Daring Do iPone app.
- Action Mom: Presumably, since she's said to have been just as good an archaeologist as her husband and that Daring emulates her fighting style the most out of all her foals.
- Adventure Archaeologist: Like her husband and daughters.
- All There in the Manual: Outside of The Fires of Family, which is from the Expanded Universe, her name is given as "Daria" in the Daring Do app for the iPone.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: The hoof-ful of times that she's brought up, Daring remembers what she can of her fondly.
- Fan Nickname: Because she has no name in the canon series, she's given numerous names in the fandom. The most popular ones are "Serenity" (thanks to A Serene Tale) and "Calypso" (because of a fan theory that Calypso, Daring's pet macaw, is named after her).
- The Lost Lenore: Implied to be this for Daren. In Curse of the Yeti, Daring notices that he still seems a little hung-up over her death.
- Missing Mom
- No Name Given/Unnamed Parent: In the original series. However, her name is revealed to be Daria in The Fires of Family and in some trivia in the Daring Do iPone app.
- Posthumous Character
- Strong Family Resemblance: According to Daren, Daring looks almost exactly like her. Since this is the most physical description she gets, fanon assumes that she looks like an older version of Daring.
Daring's pet purple macaw. He/She is usually kept at the university and cared for by Herpy, Dr. Tabula Rasa and other university faculty members while Daring is out adventuring. She has given some clues that helped Daring solve some mysteries. Purple macaws are closely related to the Hyacinth and Glaucous macaws.
- Big Eater/Extreme Omnivore: One of the reasons she's usually kept at the university; her curious appetite may land her in trouble in locales inhabited by cacao beans and avocado trees.
- Ambiguous Gender: Some books refer to him/her as male, others as female. Daring herself has no idea which he/she is.
- Fridge Brilliance: Most macaws lack a visual difference between genders.
- He/She did start up a short romance with a Canterlot macaw at one point, although we never learned its gender either.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT attempt to clip her wing feathers, do NOT attempt to file her nails, and do NOT take away the mirror wheel toy in her cage.
- Big Friendly Parrot: Unlike most wild parrots, Calypso takes to Daring almost immediately. This doesn't mean that she doesn't bite if sufficiently angered, however.
- Cool Pet: She's really good at solving puzzles.
- Deadpan Snarker: At times.Herpy: Is she [Daring] trying to make me look like an idiot?Calypso: AWWK! Too late! AWWK!
- Endangered Species: While not the Last of His Kind, purple macaws are second only to the Spix's in rarity, with an estimated 500 left in Equestrian rainforests.
- Polly Wants a Microphone
- Rule of CuteDerring Do: Who's a pretty birdie?
Calypso: Awwwk. I am? Awwwk?
Derring Do: Yes, you are!
- Team Pet
- Trademark Favorite Food: Like most other members of the Anodorhynchus genus, it's Brayzil nuts.
- Trickster Archetype: He/she is quite mischievous, particularly towards Herpy. Someponies theorize that he/she was inspired by Princess Celestia's own Cool Pet bird, Philomena.
- Verbal Tic: Squawking at the beginning and end of every sentence.
- We Named The Parrot Calypso: Some sources claim that Calypso was named after Daring's missing mother, but this is debated in the fandom.