Voiced by: Sinyuvuu
Hiroaki Uzuki, the Ultimate Apprentice. Who is he an apprentice to? His father, the headmaster of Bitokukawa Academy himself. Its said by talent scouts that Hiroaki has unparalleled learning capabilities; however, due to suffering memory loss upon being forced into the killing game, his aptitude has seemingly left him as well.His personality can be described as earnest, but sometimes prying as he wishes to understand every little thing around him to keep himself comfortable.
- Amateur Sleuth: Plays this role during investigations.
- Amnesiac Hero: Is the only one who's forgotten about his classmates and school life. This is used against him by Hide in the class trials.
- Constantly Curious: Is curious to the point of almost being nosy, though this is attributed more to his need to be comfortable with his own surroundings.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Hiroaki's earnest nature encourages him to befriend others even though some may interpret it as nosiness on his part.
- Idiot Hair: Designates his status as the main character.
- Informed Ability: Has the ability to absorb and apply knowledge at an astounding rate, but ends up losing this skill due to memory loss.
- In-Series Nickname: Rockman, by Kunitaro.
- Teen Genius: He's quick to pick up on information and is titled as the Ultimate Apprentice for it.
Voiced by: soluri
Introducing Ikki Namiki, the Ultimate Angler. This fisher can be best described as unpleasantly reserved, collecting his thoughts for a moderate period of time before speaking. He appears inattentive at times; however, he often notices obscure details that everyone else misses, albeit overlooking the blatantly obvious ones. Ikki claims he had lost his left arm out on the open sea, but procrastinates shedding the details for the sake of suspense. He isnt particularly chatty about anything other than shonen anime.
- An Arm and a Leg: He lost his left arm in a presumed fishing accident.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has the thickest eyebrows among the cast.
- Genius Ditz: He's often reserved and spaces out a lot, but he does notice small details that are often overlooked by everyone.
- Handicapped Badass: Despite having lost an arm, Ikki's fishing skills are far from diminished.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: His hair is long enough to tie into a ponytail and he's seen as quite cute.
- Oral Fixation: One of his busts has him suck on a fish bone.
- Otaku: Has a strong preference for shonen anime.
- Rule of Drama: He purposefully procrastinates when it comes to how he lost his arm for the sake of suspense.
- Shrinking Violet: He dislikes attention.
Voiced by: Wind Light Hub
Meet the Ultimate Retro Curator, Kunitaro Higa, also known as DJ Shaved Ice. Kunitaro dons a hip and nonchalant persona, and he makes that clear while he blathers on about how much cooler vintage technology was compared to newfangled garbage as he calls it. He lives in his own little world, often getting lost in nostalgia and leaving every other youth around him discombobulated. Having lived his childhood through hand-me-downs, Kunitaro has learned to appreciate the old school.
- Cool Shades: Meant to highlight his cool attitude.
- Curse of the Ancients: Is sometimes prone to this whenever the subject of modern devices comes up.
- Good Old Ways: Constantly talks about this much to everyone else's annoyance.
- Informed Poverty: He grew to love things old school on account of growing up with hand-me-downs as a child.
- Jive Turkey: Uses a lot of outdated slang when talking to others.
- Mellow Fellow: He's a cheerful man who tries to take things easy.
- New Technology Is Evil: Has a dislike for touchscreens.
- The Nicknamer: Calls Manzo "Carrot Top", Fan Fan "Smurfette", Shiori "Ms. Frizzle", and Hiroaki "Rockman".
- Outdated Outfit: Wears an outdated suit as his school uniform.
Ultimate Yoga Guru
Voiced by: Karnaval
Bussho Saji is the Ultimate Yoga Guru. Sympathetic and soft-spoken, this personal trainer has the tendency to offer a little more assistance than required. Bussho is constantly concerned of the well-being of others, yielding an altruistic personality that worries his peers. He is a young man that truly enjoys life and wishes others to share the same notion as him. Commonly seen performing Mudra, and implores others to join with him to eliminate any tension in the room. A health nut at the core, but doesnt mind treating himself occasionally.
- All-Loving Hero: Being the nicest student in the class, Bussho often puts the needs of others first.
- Ambiguously Brown: He has noticeabley tan skin.
- The Determinator: He does his best to ensure that his agendas are met.
- Granola Girl: A gender flipped example. He sticks primarily to a healthy diet and practices Mudra to alleviate stress.
- Significant Birth Date: Was born on November 1 which is World Vegan Day.
- The Stoic: Seems the most unfazed among the male characters of the story.
Ultimate Forum Admin
Voiced by: Michael Kovach
Introducing Shoko Otaki, the Ultimate Forum Admin. To say Shoko has a short fuse is an understatement. With a zero tolerance policy against tomfoolery, he often expresses his loathing for it in an unquenchable wrath. If he isnt cursing at the top of his lungs in fits of rage, hes making a mockery of those who share nonsensical assertions. Surprisingly, he is rather humble when it comes to his own talent.
- Air Quotes: One of his character busts has him do this.
- Berserk Button: Has a fit whenever someone makes nonsensical statements.
- Expy: As a Tiny School Boy in serious need of anger management classes, Shoko is pretty much the Fuyuhiko of the game.
- Gender-Blender Name
- Insufferable Genius: Partially averted. While he can be rather insufferable to those who trigger his Hair-Trigger Temper, Shoko isn't particularly proud about his talent.
- Jerkass: Is not above cussing at others when he feels like it.
- Older Than They Look: Although he looks like a primary school child with a short height to match, hes a high schooler.
- The Napoleon: Is short in stature and shorter in patience.
- Recurring Element: Regarding character design, he continues the DR theme of a character having light skin, black hair, and red eyes.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He has red eyes and is very aggressive towards anyone/anything that agitates him.
- Sir Swearsalot: Doesn't like to mince words in any situation.
- Teens Are Short: The shortest out of all the boys.
Voiced by: Michael Kovach
Yahto Stone Crown is our Ultimate Mayor, and the last of the foreign students in Nakagawas class. A mountain of a man, but a passionately emotional soul. Yahto commonly speaks with an eloquence nonessential for casual conversation. He desires to gain the trust of as many people as humanly possible; however, he worries that his approach might seem insincere considering his status as a politician.Easily moved to tears when experiencing something he finds particularly sublime.
- The Big Guy: He fills the role as the designated 'giant' student of the cast.
- Braids, Beads and Buckskins: Used to denote his Sioux background.
- Expy: Of Sakura Oogami. He has the Face of a Thug but is a genuinely good person and wants everyone to work together as friends.
- Foreign Exchange Student: One of the three foreign students of the class and the only male of that particular grouping.
- Friend to All Living Things: Along with his desire to form bonds with his survivors, he also likes dogs based on his report card.
- Genius Bruiser: Has a strong build and is mentally competent enough to run as mayor.
- Gentle Giant: Like past 'Big Hearted Muscle' characters, Yahto strives to achieve trust among his fellow students to work together, but is fearful that he may not appear sincere because of his title.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Implied with the fact that he dislikes being large.
- Manly Tears: Is said that he can be moved to tears if he finds something to be sublime.
- Meaningful Name: His last name 'Crown' brings to mind a king or royalty which suits his role as an influential political leader quite well.
- Sophisticated as Hell: His manner of speaking is described as 'eloquence nonessential to a normal conversation'.
- Younger Than They Look: Is actually around the same age as the other students.
Voiced by: Dan Delarosa
Oniji Itagaki is the Ultimate Tailor. Smarmy and hotheaded with a winning personality to boot. Oniji makes it his business to be surrounded by people who look like one-hundred million yen, even going as far as offering to fix them up nice apparel free of charge. Never hesitates to criticize others attire, but can be highly insecure when given criticism himself. With a narcissistic view on life, Oniji believes good looks, good cars, and good company make a true man.
- Can't Take Criticism: One of his defining flaws.
- The Dandy: Obviously enough.
- Expy: His personality and appearance makes him similar to Kaito Momota only with a red/fire theme and an interest in fashion.
- Fiery Redhead: A hothead with a snarky streak.
- Narcissist: Believes that good looks, good cars, and good company are what make a true man. He aims to embody these traits and won't settle for anything less.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Arrogant and hotblooded as he is, he's actually pretty generous in that he's willing to give people new apparel for free. Even if it's only so Oniji can be surrounded by good looking people such as himself.
- Jive Turkey: The teaser shows that he uses outdated phrases and terms.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Is one of the most fashionable characters among the cast.
- Somebody Doesn't Love Raymond: Gets very defensive upon receiving criticism.
Voiced by: Michael Kovach
Manzo Shibue is the Ultimate Stuntman. Fun-loving and full of heart, he takes the heart of his fans in the best way he knows how: hurting himself through wild capers. Believing himself to be a celebrity as a stunt double, Manzo often puffs himself up bigger than he actually is. When an idea for a personal stunt pops up, hell do what it takes to accomplish it, and the danger behind is just an afterthought. Unfortunately, very little does he learn a lesson when a bone or two is broken. If it entertains them, Manzos the man who wants to get it done.
- Berserk Button: Doesn't like it when people call him a dork.
- Cute Little Fangs: One pokes out when he closes his mouth.
- Fearless Fool: Doesn't mind going through a lot of dangerous stunts if it means gaining more fans.
- In-Series Nickname: Carrot Top, by Kunitaro.
- Le Parkour: Has an interest in parkour which would contribute to his career as a stuntman.
- Nice Hat: Wears an aviator's cap.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Is rather egotistical for a stunt double.
- Youthful Freckles: Has some across his face.
Voiced by: Caitlin Myers
The main female character of Kill/Cure. As befitting of the Ultimate Theorist, Hide specializes in making analytical deductions that are usually spot-on. However, her aloofness and anti-social behavior make her suspicious in the eyes of the other students.
- Commander Contrarian: Fits this role as Hiroaki's rival.
- The Cynic: Firmly believes the world is full of people who'd rather delude themselves than face painful truths.
- Dream Weaver: Has an interest in lucid dreaming.
- Expy: She brings to mind Maki Harukawa due to her cold and blunt personality along with her dislike for socializing with her peers. Her voice is also fairly similar to Maki's portrayal in the English Dub.
- Ice Queen: Acts aloof towards the other students and tends to verbally lash out when aggravated.
- Jerkass Has a Point: She openly disapproves of everyone relying on an amnesiac like Hiroaki since it places them in greater danger.
- Pride: Her main flaw. She just can't accept being the one in the wrong.
- The Rival: Serves as one for Hiroaki. Even their color schemes contrast to designate their antagonistic relationship.
- Sir Swearsalot: Is close to rivaling Shoko when it comes to swearing.
- Surrounded by Idiots: How she feels when interacting with her more annoying classmates.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Goes well with her pink eyes.
Voiced by: Marissa Lenti
Maru Yokokume is the Ultimate Activist, and probably for all the wrong reasons. Shes spunky, flirty, and isnt as astute as she believes she is. Maru often plays the devils advocate, debating on topics she doesnt care for nor have any prior knowledge in. Equipped with her trusty megaphone, she takes every opportunity to get her message across. An attention seeker and a rebel at her finest.
- Activist Fundamentalist Antics: As Maru describes it in the quote above.
- Attention Whore: Uses her talent to grab attention to herself.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Has a darker shade of hair color than most examples of the trope, but still matches her perfectly. It's implied that she may not be dark skinned at all since her main dislike involves losing tan.
- Devil's Advocate: Likes arguing even if she lacks the knowledge to back her statements up.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Will not hesitate to debate about any topic she knows nothing about or does not care for.
- Mythology Gag: Her megaphone is an Ultra Despair Girls edition.
- The teaser shows that she has a phone cover modeled after Monomi.
- No Indoor Voice: Has the loudest voice thanks to her aggressive personality and megaphone.
- #1 Dime: She deeply cares for her megaphone and wouldn't know what to do without it.
- Soap Box Sadie: Maru is setting up to be a parody of this considering that she's willing to protest on anything regardless if she truly cares about it or not.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: In the teaser, she shows a 'romantic' side when she decides to rewrite the killing game story in favor of a Japanese period romance story.
- Tsurime Eyes: Fits with her characterization quite well.
Voiced by: natepeach
Uta Kawagichi is the Ultimate Epidemiologist. Both preachy and squeamish, she takes charge in assuring the coast is clear. With an eye for danger, Uta makes a habit of disinfecting various objects to protect herself and her peers from unseen pathogens, of which she beseechingly equates to "Satans spawn. Unfortunately, her precautions are often presumed as a phobia and are disregarded. Uta absolutely refuses to touch door knobs and is usually accompanied by someone to act as her usher.
- Absurd Phobia: Refuses to touch door knobs to the point of making any of the students open them for her.
- Catchphrase Insult: She refers to any and all germs as Satan's spawn.
- The Fundamentalist: She likes going to church and is described as being difficult when it comes to changing her mind about certain things.
- Iconic Item: Is shown to carry two disinfectant spray bottles.
- Nice Hat: Befittingly looks like a Sunday church hat.
- Neat Freak: Makes it a habit to disinfect various objects she comes across.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Fittingly suits her neat and tidy appearance.
- Religious Stereotype: An implied example. Uta's outfit makes her appear as if she were attending a religious service and she has haughty and uptight attitude towards cleanliness. She even goes as far as to describe all germs as Satan's spawn.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Her choice in terminology counts as this.
- Terrified of Germs: Hates germs to the point of sanitizing anything she touches.
- Token Religious Teammate: Is setting up to be this based on how she openly talks about faith and her disdain for Satan.
- Tsurime Eyes: Is given these eyes to further emphasize her zealous nature.
Ultimate Local Hero
Voiced by: Ruby J
Momoe Soga is The Soaring Lass errr the Ultimate Local Hero! Momoe prides herself in performing the most dangersome heroics, such as saving cats from trees and helping schoolchildren cross the street? Contrary to what most people assume, she doesnt agree with combative solutions. When role-playing as Soaring Lass, she can put on a brave face for a time, but easily falls out of character when one of her several phobias is triggered. And yes, she only ever wears spandex. Nothing else.
- Absurd Phobia: Is constantly hindered by several different phobias.
- Actual Pacifist: Despite what her title implies, Momoe is against all forms of violence.
- Cowardly Lion: She's a self proclaimed hero but breaks down when encountering any of her phobias.
- Genki Girl: Comes across as this when not performing heroics.
- Otaku: Has a thing for heroic shows.
- Pink Means Feminine: Her uniform has different shades of pink and she's the most feminine of the girls.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Has pink hair underneath the helmet and is one of the nicer students.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Has the shortest skirt length among the female cast.
Voiced by: Anairis Q
Stoic and a stickler for details, Naiomi Danjuma is the Ultimate Architect and one of the three foreign Ultimate students in her class. She has the habit of making sarcastic remarks just to humor herself, but they arent easily identified thanks to her impassive personality. Means well, even if she doesnt seem all that inclined. Often fiddles with pencils to keep herself relaxed.
- Ambiguous Disorder: It's implied that she has some form of autism. This is based on her interest in ASMR and her frequently playing with pencils; both of which are types of stimming that some autistic people use to calm themselves.
- Black and Nerdy: Comes from Nigeria and has a thing for architecture designs.
- Character Tic: She plays around with pencils to relax herself.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Has dark skin and a blond afro.
- Deadpan Snarker: Tends to make sarcastic remarks to humor herself.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She means well despite her impassiveness and deadpan humor.
- Nice Shoes: She wears crocs of all things.
- The Stoic: Isn't the most expressive girl among her peers.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She dislikes termites in her report card. But it's more along the lines of disliking them for ruining her projects rather then being afraid of them.
Ultimate Human Subject
Voiced by: Lizz Robinett
Fan Fan Long is the Ultimate Human Subject and one of the foreign students in Nakagawas class. A cheery and kind soul who has trouble saying no to others, and the poor thing is often taken advantage for it. Fan Fans body has developed strange physical effects by cause of various chemicals shes tested in the past; however, she doesnt particularly mind them at all. With a massive appetite and a cast iron stomach, Fan Fan will eat everything in sight without pause. When under the effects of a sugar rush, she is difficult to control.
- Anime Chinese Girl: Although Fan Fan serves as an odd example of this trope, her design was actually meant to invoke the appearance of a jiangshi.
- Body Horror: Along with her gray skin color, she also has what appears to be a strange flower growing on the top of her head.
- Extreme Doormat: A cheerful variation in that she just can't say no to anyone.
- Extreme Omnivore: Will eat just about anything thanks to her cast iron stomach.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: Her right sleeve is longer than the other and conveniently covers her entire hand.
- Foreign Exchange Student: One of the three foreign students of the class.
- In-Series Nickname: Smurfette, by Kunitaro.
- Older Than They Look: Is surprisingly as old as her classmates.
- Sweet Tooth: Has a preference for sweets and loves drinking fruit flavored medicine.
- Teens Are Short: She's the shortest female student among the cast.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She has poofy red shorts.
Ultimate Broadway Dancer
Voiced by: soluri
Toya Imamura is the Ultimate Broadway Dancer. A happy-go-lucky lass with a teasing spirit, she often breaks into song with a lively jig on a whim. Toya has a fanciful way with words and doesnt hesitate displaying her whimsical disposition. With a hearing deficiency as a result of blaring big band, shes only particularly careful in listening to the things she wants to hear, so others may find themselves being ignored. An ear trumpet is Toyas hearing aid of choice, mostly because of the aesthetic.
- American Accents: She speaks with a strong Brooklyn accent.
- But Not Too Foreign: Spent her life in Brooklyn where she developed a strong interest in the theater.
- Gender-Blender Name
- Iconic Item: Is always carrying an old timey prop horn which she uses as a hearing aid.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Almost looks like a man at first glance.
- Nice Hat: She wears a small bowler hat.
- The Pollyanna: She's always upbeat and sometimes breaks into song.
- Selective Obliviousness: Has a habit of only hearing things that appeal to her. This is partially due to being deaf from hearing loud band music during her younger years.
- Tomboy: And seemingly proud of it too.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She has a dislike for bees.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is a light shade of mauve.
Ultimate Extreme Couponer
Voiced by: Anairis Q
Meet the Ultimate EXTREME Couponer, Chikuma Konishi! Unpredictable in nature and regularly inebriated on caffeine, this crazy couponer is an insuppressible ball of fun. Chikuma has an aggressive playfulness about her that makes her both hard to love and difficult to hate. From jumping on her peers backs for piggyback rides, to challenging them to boxing fights, she never seems to be out of energy. Not particularly helpful with anything unless shes receiving something in return. When Chikuma does her thing, its best to just let her, for your own safety .or not.
- Acrofatic: Has no problem doing strenuous activities like jumping or boxing despite her large size.
- Base-Breaking Character: In-Universe. She's described as being hard to love but difficult to hate.
- Big Beautiful Woman: Looks rather cute if you can get past her overbearing personality.
- Big Fun: For a heavy set girl, she's full of energy and is aggressively playful.
- Blush Sticker: She has two pink swirly circles on her cheeks.
- Capitalism Is Bad: She openly dislikes capitalism in her report card.
- Distaff Counterpart: Serves as one for the unusual-looking male characters from previous Danganronpa titles.
- Genki Girl: Acts like this due to her love of caffeine.
- The Hyena: She has quite the laugh when something amuses her.
- Informed Poverty: It could be implied that she grew up poor considering her talent involves couponing and purchasing things at cheap prices. Her growing up poor could also explain her dislike for capitalism.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Is this for the Kill/Cure cast.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: To further contrast her with the class teacher Shiori.
- Paying in Coins: Coupons, to be precise.
- What's in It for Me?: Chikuma isn't very helpful unless she's given something in return.
(Former) Ultimate Instructor
Voiced by: Adoxographist
Last, but not least, we have Shiori Nakagawa, the Former Ultimate Instructor and an alumna of Bitokukawa Academy. A kind, doting teacher who cares for the well-being of her students, although she can be blindly optimistic regarding them. Having graduated from the academy, Shiori has learned the values of virtue, believing Ultimate students to be the true future the world needs to change. She fears she may be viewed as a pedagogue by her students, so she often lets misbehavior slide for a time.
- Cool Old Lady: She worries about being seen as a 'pedagogue' by her students, so she's willing to let them get away with their misbehavior to come off as this.
- Expy: Shiori is similar to Chisa Yukizome being that she was a former Ultimate who now works as a teacher and cares deeply for her students.
- Hot Teacher: Is rather attractive for a teacher.
- In-Series Nickname: Mrs. Frizzle, by Kunitaro.
- Just the First Citizen: Doesn't consider herself on the same level as the current batch of Ultimates she teaches and prefers that they receive more praise than her.
- Lawful Pushover: She's willing to excuse her students' misbehavior but not to a certain extent like most examples.
- Romanticism: She has a love for the genre.
- Sensei-chan: Meets some of the standards expected of this trope, though her competence has her come across as more of a Cool Teacher instead.
- Sexy Spectacles: Comes with the job of teaching a group of Ultimates.
Voiced by: roxyiguess
Kokorosaru is an AI-controlled monkey that monitors the killing game. He identifies himself as the Ultimate Counselor. At first impression, Kokorosaru is a kind and lovable monkey that claims he doesnt want anyone to play the killing game, providing motives to deter participants from doing so. However, whenever someone decides to kill anyway, due to some unfortunate event, he temporarily transforms into an aggressive and twisted form.
- Anti-Villain: Despite organizing the killing game, he claims not to want any murders and creates motives to discourage them.
- Berserk Button: Is said to have a twisted and dangerous form if any of the students end up dying.
- Cry Cute: Kokorosaru has this as one of his normal expressions.
- Expy: Of Monomi/Usami. Along with being main mascot characters who try to encourage the students to get along with each other, the teaser shows that he isn't very respected by the students.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: A zigzagged example. Even though he hates murder and pushes the students to not kill each other, he's still the self-proclaimed organizer of the killing game. And then there's what happens when a potential student goes ahead and kills someone.
- Meaningful Name: Kokorosaru is translated as "heart monkey" in Japanese. Remove the first and last syllables, however, and his name takes on a more sinister meaning: "korosa (to kill)".
- Ambiguous Situation: His whereabouts or what his status is during the events of the killing game remains unknown.
- Expy: His role as the headmaster of the designated academy along with being the father of one of the main protagonists makes him similar to Jin Kirigiri.
- The Ghost: His official design has yet to appear and it is unknown as to where he is during the killing game.