open/close all folders
Warning! All spoilers below are unmarked.
- It's impossible to list tropes for these characters without spoilers or creating Self Fulfilling Spoilers because of the amount of reveals and murderer/victim exclusive tropes this fanfic contains.
Attention! There are empty trope placeholders.
- Since this fanfic is still in it's infancy there could be a very little amount of tropes for certain characters, since the images next to their individual sections are as big as they are, I placed empty placeholders in order to prevent the image from going haywire. Sorry for the inconvenience, once Adzan gets trough the bulk of the story I'll be able to add more tropes to the more.. Underdeveloped part of the cast.
Tropes for the characters collectively
- A House Divided: Monokuma's game has this effect, as you can't know who's going to try to graduate, especially with people like Yevan, who immediately takes charge after the introduction sequence therefore further alienating the group.
- Conspicuous Gloves: Double-Subversion, though not intended by the writer he has a lot of characters who wear gloves, some for no apparent reason, and for other it seems a tad more logical. The author jabs at this during author notes and chapter 2, stating that all the glove wearing people could start a glove club.
- Crash-Into Hello: Hello Megumi Tsuji, How Ar—! Smash!
- Genre Blind: Most of the students try to remain hopeful that there won't be any murders - or any more murders - in a mystery horror fanfic. Of course, they're trying to avoid falling into despair like Monokuma wants, but most of them will fail.
- Hair Decorations: Kimiko, Ryoka, Tsubasa and by further law of extension Megumi too.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: Yevan and Tetsu tried this to Monokuma, but it all goes horribly wrong..
- Lovely Angels: Yevan and Makoto are growing towards this trope. They also fit in as the Blue and Red Oni respectively, even though one might consider Yevan to be a rather unorthodox Blue oni.
- Meaningful Names: Most of the cast has them.
- Fujiwara's surname Taiki means Large/brilliant in reference to his talent.
- Yuuta's name can be described can mean Big/thick hero, which is clever considering he's the protagonist.
- Yevan's real name, Yên-Vân Lý. Roughly translates to Safety of reason in Vietnamese, considering her role as self-appointed leader, it seems intended.
- Tetsu's name could be roughly seen as Masterful strong one which is accurate as he's tall person and his actions during chapter 3.
- Kuno means A honest advisor in German, something that is very similar to his role in chapter 3, when he warned Tetsu for Monokuma and later in the same chapter with Yuuta, he took an that role once again.
- Child without equal, fitting for Kimiko as she's SHSL Hollywood Star.
- The name 'Akiko Takumi' could roughly be translated into Sparkling, skilled child of truth, also fitting because both her talent and the theme of truth used in this fanfic.
- Healthy/Strong with Big/Thick is the translation of Kenta's name, need I say more?
- Akio's is Bright male, fitting according to his talent. As he's knowledgeable with the occult.
- Megumi Tsuji roughly translates to Blessed Crossroad in Japanese, ironic considering the reader first learns about her when they are standing on one the paths of a crossroad.
- Makoto means sincere, also fitting as she seems hold nothing back when talking to people.
- Sibling Team: Hibiki and Tsubasa are this, well.. Hibiki is the one who puts 'Team' in the Team.
- This Cannot be: Basically the reaction of the entire group when they found out that they were both trapped and stuck in a death game.
- Wacky Homeroom: With all their super high-school specialties, the cast is certainly quirky - and homicidal. Not to mention some of their eccentric personalities, I'm looking at you Akiko and Ryoka.
- Weapon of Choice: Most of the cast fall under the personality tropes associated with their favorite weapons.
- You All Meet in a Cell: Since the Yuuta was one of the last to arrive, it isn't clear if everyone necessarily met at the school entrance, but the spirit of the trope is still in effect.
Super High School Level Marksman
- Amateur Sleuth: As our protagonist he is certainly one of these, with some help from his fellow classmates, mostly Ryoka, Kuno and Megumi.
- Becuase Your Were Nice To Me: Yuuta struggles to point out that Kenta murdered Hibiki thanks to this, luckily he perseveres despite his obvious hesitation.
- Borrowed Catch Phrase: From Makoto Naegi and Hajime Hinata, the actual protagonists of Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.
- "No that's wrong!" when he points out a contradiction in court, just like Makoto in the original game.
- To a lesser extent, "I agree with that!" when he agrees with someone else's statement in court.
- There's also "I'll cut that claim to pieces!" when he wins a Rebuttal Showdown.
- Captain Obvious: Really Yuuta? I wonder what gave it away..
- Chapter 2.Megumi: Yeap. That's right. It's Hope's Peak's Academy logo.Yuuta: I think it's safe to say this is Hope's Peak Academy.
- Chapter 2.
- Crush Blush: Shipping intensifies! Around Megumi, of course.
- Gun Nut: His talent is the major indicator for this, though he often monologues or speaks in gun language.
- In chapter 3.Yuuta: It was then when I heard the distinctively familiar 'click' I've hear at the shooting range.
- In chapter 3.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: He's dangerously close to this trope, if he didn't have the talent as a marksman he would definitely fall within the realm of this trope.
- Scars Are Forever: Apparently Yuuta has obtained a scar somewhere before his memory wipe.
- Straight Man: Somewhat. He's usually the one musing about others' bizarre personality quirks.
- The Everyman: Despite his knowledge of guns and his talent, he mostly falls into this area.
- The Generic Guy: He's physically unremarkable for the most part, especially compared to the other students.
- The Kirk: Is frequently able to act as a unifying force amongst his classmates, bridging logic with heart to lead everyone to the truth and a calm daily life, even though he kinda doesn't want to.
- Chapter 3.
- The Protagonist: Since the second chapter Yuuta has been narrating the events that befall the characters that surround him.
- Meaningful Name: His name references the theme of hero, which adds to his protagonist like role in the fanfic.
- Nice Guy: He seems to be able to get along with just about anyone. Even the readers seem to love him unconditionally, even though most might find him boring if you were to summarize his character.
- Quip Yo Black: Though it doesn't fade into an opening sequence, it does end a scene.
- Chapter 4.Yuuta: this Fuh (Phở) is Fuh-reaking good!
- Chapter 4.
Super High School Level Artificer
- Deuteragonist: Though not certain, the writer seems to be heading into this direction with her character, especially since she's also the second one to be introduced into the story.
- Implied Lover Interest: Yuuta seems clearly interested in her, but Megumi is hard to read and therefore it's uncertain if she even sees him that way, it doesn't help that even Akiko ships them too.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Her talent, paired with the fact that she outranks her own dad when it comes to engineering.
- Finger Gun: When meeting you potential love interest, make sure you point your finger at him and pull the trigger. I guess you can say that she.. Fingerbanged him.. Oh god.. Why did I make that joke?
- The Medic: Due to her expertise in microscopic gadget engineering, she took on the role as the 'improvised' surgeon of the cast.
- The Smart Girl: Have you seen her title, no? Then read again, and grab a dictionary for crying out loud.
- Chapter 3.Megumi: I mostly just tinker with military equipment.
- Chapter 3.
Super High School Level Escrimador
- Action Girl: With title as Escrimador you know she can kick some mighty butt if she ever felt the need to.
- Ass Kicking Equals Authority: Downplayed, most of the time. But she if isn't kicking ass she's usually staring others to death with intimidating looks.
- Death Glare: Usually everyone backs off when they see this, except for Tsubasa. According to the Yuuta her stare even gets stronger the more she uses it.
- Feminie Women Can Cook: Subverted, because Yevan is everything but a feminine girl, and in the spirit of Yuuta.
- Chapter 4.Yuuta:: this Fuh (Phở) is Fuh-reaking good!
- Chapter 4.
- Hot-Blooded: Played straight so far, she even dashes off the very moments she hears Akiko's scream, too bad her efforts goes by unnoticed to most of her peers.
- Knife Nut: She must be one, since she's as good at Escrima as she is. Knifes are weapons that are the most associated with that marital art.
- Leader Wannabe: Before she outright appoints herself as leader in chapter 3, she already shows her commanding nature during the 2nd chapter.
- Chapter 2.Yevan: Hey, can't you read? Get over here and get your Electro ID.
- Chapter 3.Yevan: In times of great duress one should be appointed so everyone can act as one. I volunteer myself for the job.Tsubasa: Yeah? Well, you're the one who went guns-blazing on Monokuma and nearly turned into swiss cheese if it weren't for Kuno.Kuno: Oh no please. I would like to accept Yevan as our leader as I don't like to placed in such an open position anyways.Yevan: See? He already agrees to my leadership. I don't see the point of debating this any longer.
- Chapter 2.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Escrima isn't a sport you just do without having any heart in it, if you didn't have the discipline for it, it would be not possible to do it for long periods of time.
- Tall, Dark And Snarky: Yevan is certainly snarky enough to qualify, and for the dark part, she and Tetsu are the only characters who's tans border on milky brown color.
- Tattoo as Character Type: It's confirmed she has a tattoo, during chapter 4 but what shape, style and size still remain unknown.
- The Unfettered: Downplayed so far, due being slightly reluctant to head into the despair dormitory, due to potential fear of exploding bombs, but she outright trumps everyone in the bravery department by stepping in first voluntarily, wonder if she even thought that through.
- The Unpronounceable: Yên-Vân Lý. What is this, how do I even...? Luckily she knows that it is a mind bendingly hard name to pronounce for non-Vietnamese people and coined the nickname, Yevan.
- Token Minority: She's the only actual foreigner within the 79th class of Hope's Peak.
- Tsurime Eyes: Yuuta always states how she has a sharp gaze, flows well with this trope.
Super High School Level Billiards Player
- Adorkable: Seriously she's so quirky and genre savvy, who couldn't like her?
- Bad Guys Play Pool: Subverted so far, I mean she's shows such gentle behavior. How could she ever be evil?
- Cloudcuckoolander: Played straight mostly, one of her highpoints is when she screams her lungs out when she spots a pool table in the rec room, whilst everyone thought she was being killed.
- Chapter 3.Akiko: Wha- Are you throwing a dance party? Hey, that's a great idea. C'mon guys lets move some hips! (starts dancing)
- Chapter 3.
- Genre Savvy: See below.
- Chapter 3.Akiko: Oh no! Splitting up in situations like these is bad! It's the most common horror trope!
- Chapter 3.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: A lot.
- In chapter 2.Yuuta: (Starts to blush after Megumi complimented him.)Akiko: Well I think I've found out which character route Yuuta is going for.
- In chapter 2.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Yep, totally the token funny chick.
- Plucky Girl: Due to her her optimistic and trusting nature, shown when defending Ryoka from Seijun who accused her of being in league with Monokuma.
- The Matchmaker: She exhibits this trait during the early and later parts of chapter 2, poor Yuuta.
Super High School Level Espionage
- Bi the Way: That, and he's also quite suave while handling either gender, eh.. Double your chances right?
- Big Damn Hero: Kuno, when he saved both Yevan and Tetsu from Monokuma's Arrows of Orion, at the same time, while a mini gun was just about to fire.
- Combat Medic: Due to the kind of work he does as a spy he has quite the knowledge on how to treat certain types of injuries.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Love knows no bounds, not even gender~! Courtesy of Kuno, cover your butts everyone.
- Humble Hero:
- Chapter 3.Kuno: All in a days work, Yuuta.
- Chapter 3.
- I Kiss Your Hand: This guy holds nothing back, I assume he must have kissed every hand in the whole gymnasium, which amounts to 16 people. It does get a funny reaction out of Yuuta and Kenta.
- Teen Super Spy: Which he is though, and a damn good one too.
- The Conscience: Acts mostly as a moral compass to the group, even Monokuma calls him out for it.
- Chapter 6.Monokuma: Aww, you're no fun! Why couldn't you be the first victim? Ugh, voice of reason characters are so annoying.
- Chapter 6.
- The Profiler: He was accurately able to deduce that Monokuma had a trick card up his sleeve, in the form of a minigun.
Super High School Level Memorizer
- Cannot Spit It Out: Fujiwara suffers greatly from this trope during the first class trial where he didn't want to admit who killed Hibiki in order to protect her innocence as a human being.
- Heroic BSoD: Fujiwara when he found out that his precious talent was easily manipulated and therefore useless.
- Photographic Memory: His talent. Is also pretty ironic that the memorizer lost his memory thanks to laser-guided amnesia, too bad Tsubasa just can't cut him some slack.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Played Straight, I mean like.. C'mon man. His title as SHSL Memorizer, he's bound to be smart if he can memorize everything.
- Real Men Cook: Despite the fact Fujiwara hasn't touched a pan or a pot in his life, he quickly demonstrates that he could very well be a chef equal to the SHSL Chef in Dangan Ronpa 2, thanks to his overly large memory.
Super High School Level Martial Artist
- Accidental Murder: The fact that he killed Hibiki is a classic wrong place, wrong time, wrong action scenario.
- Bruce Lee Clone: It's funny, cause Kenta also wears something yellow as well and makes a signature Bruce Lee pose.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: His body was beaten to a bloody pulp of muscles, flesh, teeth and hair. If that isn't unnecessarily cruel then I don't know what is.
- Idiot Hair: His is even pointier and larger than the Makoto Naegi's Ahoge.
- Muscles Are Meaningful: Have you seen that guy, he's Huge! His muscles at least..
- No Kill Like Overkill: How does Kenta go out? He was beaten to a horrible, putrid pulp of flesh while he simultaneosly suffered from a Heroic BSoD due to the fact he accidentally destroyed the Hibiki dummy.
- Not Good with People: Type I, He even phrased it in the exact same way the trope is described.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Kenta definitely affirms this trope, especially since he wears two sleeveless pairs of clothing at once.
- Sympathetic Murderer: Can't get more sympathetic than being the murderer because you tried to catch a falling box in order to save Hibiki from a miserable headache, inadvertently driving her murder weapon up her throat.
- It should also be noted that the only reason that he didn't up and confess to the others that he murdered Hibiki is due to the fact he wanted to see his little sister Ayako one more time.
- The Fool: Hopefully his friendly and laid back attitude gives him divine protection against death.
Super High School Level Hair Dresser
- Captain Obvious: Oh god, they're multiplying, quick! Kill it with fire!
- Chapter 3.Hibiki: Kill.. Like a.. Murder?Everyone Else (Most Likely Tsubasa): Is there any other kind?
- Chapter 3.
- Character Tic: Hibiki will often place her hand under her chin when she's deep in thought or distressed. A action that unknowingly caused her to die.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Our first blood, poor gal. May she rest in peace.
Super High School Level Finger Painter
- Berserk Button: Despite being as snarky as he is, he can completely flip if you put his sister in a negative spotlight in any way, shape or form.
- Character Tic: Similar to Hibiki, Tsubasa also places his hand underneath his chin when he's deeply in thought or distressed, perhaps it's a family thing.
- Jerkass: If you took the time to read through most of this page, than you must have realized that this guy can be quite the wanker, especially when he wants to be one.
- Smug Snake: Not to mention he's jerk, but also the fact that he has this Better-than-thou attitude that constantly grinds the gears of other characters.
- Break the Haughty: Cue the first victim's death and he starts losing his oppressive temperament.
Super High School Level Make-Up Artist
Super High School Level Hollywood Star
- But Not Too Foreign: Half Japanese, half American, yeah.. No? Let me just check this trope off my list.
- Nice Girl: Easily the friendliest person in the main cast, which is surprising considering her talent, one would expect she'd be more haughty and arrogant.
- You Can Talk?: Kimiko's response to Monokuma Breaking a certain wall.
Super High School Level Blacksmith
- Asskicking Equals Authority: If Tetsu's fearless fool tactics didn't convince you of this then..
- Chapter 3.Tetsu: I don't care what it is. It better starts talking, or I'll pummel it to pieces!
- Chapter 3.
- Knight in Shining Armor: To Kimiko most of the time, but it's more akin to white-knighting really.
- Scars Are Forever: Have you seen those massive burn scars on him, those won't be going away anytime soon and the other various scars on his body.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Even Yuuta states that Tetsu could basically roll as an extra in a action movie.
Super High School Level Sukeban
- Action Girl: If leading an all-girls gang wasn't enough of a clue, then her threats to Seijun make it pretty clear that she takes little rubbish.
- Brutal Honesty: Her name already gave off a clue to this, her dialogue.. Confirms it.
- Honor Among Thieves: Makoto literally preaches this when Monokuma explains that if they fail to point out the correct culprit they will die, while the culprit graduates.
- Japanese Delinquent: A first class example of delinquentness in its finest.
- Rated M for Manly: This woman takes little to no rubbish, be warned ignorant men.
- Rule-Abiding Rebel: For some reason, Makoto is completely fine under Yevan's rule. Something that goes against her already established rebellious character.
- Scars Are Forever: Most notably the one on her eye and chest area.
- Ma'am Swears A Lot: See the trope below for an example.
- Tomboy: See title, if not accurate enough, see her rows with Seijun.
- Chapter 3.Seijun: With all due respect, you treat us like psychopathic criminals with an unsatisfied drive for blood lust. We are a group of extraordinary teenagers, however. I don't see any of us committing such a heinous crime, save for a few. (looks at Makoto accusingly)Makoto: Hey! I saw that asshole. You better keep those eyes to yourself, or else I'll rip 'em out of their sockets!
- Chapter 3.
Super High School Level Prosecutor
Super High School Level Occult Club Member
- Conspiracy Theorist: Do I need to say more, he even got excited when Tetsu says that the whole Mutual Killing Event is nothing but an elaborate kidnapping.
- Creepy Shadowed Under Eyes: See picture.
- Exhausted Eye Bags Ahem.. Perhaps you should take a look at the picture once again for good measure.
- Jerkass: He's shows elements of this, especially when he berates people for being too mundane.
- Tempting Fate: Well, Akio you wanted the more excitement in your life? Here have this knife and kill your classmates. Be careful with what you wish for.
- Nothing Exciting Ever Happens Here: This loathing of the mundane attitude he displays also extends to people, and by the further law of extension, Yuuta.
- One-Note Cook: Can only make himself some cereal. Wow.. That's quite pathetic, no offense.
Super High School Level Chess Player
- Color Coded For Your Convenience: She is dressed in white and black like a chessboard, donning gloves that even have king and queen pieces stitched on them. If she didn't state later during chapter 2 that she wasn't obsessed with chess, I would worry for her mental health.
- The Smart Girl: The girl plays chess after all.
- Nerves of Steel: Just like Kyouko Kirigiri of Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, she will hardly ever lose her calm personality even under intense pressure. Even during class trials.
- Smart People Play Chess: She often brings little trivia into the conversation none knows about except her. Heck, even Monokuma praises her for it.
- In chapter 3.Ryoka: You have no goal. Not yet anyway. There's no need to make a move if you don't know who your target is.Monokuma: Upupu.. I see why they call you the SHSL Chess Player, Sweetcheeks.
- In chapter 3.
- The Chessmaster: Do I really have to say more, this woman loves chess!