DMFA has Loads and Loads of Characters, so it was only natural there'd be a character page here for it sooner or later.
Look out for spoilers, particularly if you go to the cast pages proper.
Daniel Ti'Fiona is the brother of Alexsi and a retired adventurer. More or less the star of the comic.
- Amazon Chaser: While Dan loves the ladies in general, he holds especial love for the Amazons. It's actually the first thing we get to know about him. Seems to run in the family, since his father's first wife and Alexsi's mother was a literal Amazon.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: As an ex-adventurer, Dan had become accustomed to a mindset that most Creatures (particularly Cubi, apparently) were nothing more than soulless and brutal monsters that cause nothing but misery for others and he had a duty to vanquish them. So, imagine his shock when it turns out that he himself is a Cubi.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: He's hardly the only one to have this problem (it is, after all, an acknowledged Cubi species-wide trait) but several characters make note of the fact that they have to tell him things several times for it to stick in his memory.
- Badass Adorable: As seen here, his wing-heads look like cute baby Mythos.
- Badass Long Robe: He went around in a robe until the SAIA arc, and was quite touchy about people mistaking it for a dress. Wildy buys him a replacement in the Randomized arc.
- Big Brother Instinct: Very protective of Alexsi, which she resents.
- Brown Note
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: With Matilda.
- Character Development: Ever since he ascertained that he is and fully became a full Cubi (thanks to his headwings finally appearing) he'd been in complete denial about it and blamed his newly realized Cubi nature on most of the problems in his life, allowing his prejudice against Creatures (Cubi, in particular) to form the presumptions over the motives of others (such as Abel and Fa'Lina which has caused most of the aforementioned problems) and hinder him from learning more of his Incubus abilities, potentially endangering those around him. Over the course of the comic, he has learned that not all Cubi are necessarily bad, has learned a bit more of his abilities and his clan's history, and has generally become more accepting of his Cubi heritage to the point that, as of Chapters 28-30, he is now a voluntary student of SAIA learning to better his abilities and becoming immersed in the world of Cubi, even representing Cyra's clan at an upcoming Cubi meeting hosted at SAIA.
- Childhood Friends: With Wildy, and Mab, and Jyrras, and Biggs.
- Chivalrous Pervert
- Color-Coded Characters: Usually adorned in his signature red and gold colored robe.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Something that's gotten him into all sorts of situations. Not helped by fate stuffing him into women's clothing.
- Fatal Flaw: Stupidity aside, a notable characteristic and flaw of Dan's is his rashness. It nearly got him killed on at least two occasions.
- Handsome Lech
- Hard Head
- Hyperspace Arsenal
- I Know Mortal Kombat: He owes his agility at least in part to playing a lot of Dance Dance Revolution.
- Idiot Hero: Not particularly proud of being one but at least acknowledges that he is one.
- Interspecies Romance: Dan is a feline Incubus while Matilda is a taur Mythos.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Whenever his hair is let down which can be well seen here. Contributes greatly to the Dude Looks Like a Lady aspect of him.
- Mood-Swinger: According to Abel, all Cubi are like this, due to being "creatures of emotion".
- Official Couple: With Matilda.
- One True Love: When Dan fully developed into an Incubus, he was worried that he'd never find true love, because as a Cubi, he could use mind reading, charms and shape shifting to seduce pretty much anyone, but it would all be fake. Matilda likes him for who he is and is immune to charms.
- Red Is Heroic
- Retired Badass: It seems hard to believe, but when things get serious, Dan really is a skilled fighter.
- She's Got Legs: As both Wildy and Biggs can attest to.
A faerie whose favored/default form is a purple-furred cat, Mab lives in a pocket dimension in Dan's closet and is an integral part of the main cast.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: She's the most obvious one, as the others mostly wear shoes or something like shoes.
- Berserk Button: Do not pull on her antenna.
- The Chessmaster
- Childhood Friends: With Dan.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Though, compared to some fae, Mab comes off as pretty well-grounded.
- Color-Coded Characters: It seems quite rare to see her not wearing usual purple and orange dress in particular, and those two colors in general.
- Cuddle Bug: She has a list of things she's hugged, which somehow includes Death.
- The Ditz: She acts like this
- Does Not Like Shoes: She's never seen wearing shoes.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: As a Fae, Mab is naturally omniscient and nearly omnipotent, but Fae deliberately put limitations on themselves when spending time in a given universe. Here, Mab really is silly and flighty and fun-loving, but when she leaves this plane, her omniscience returns.
- Older Than They Look: Way older.
- Really 700 Years Old
A half kangaroo rat/kangaroo, short, shy, cute Jyrras is also a scientific genius with a sizable fortune due to his inventions and the influence of his mother, a highly respected lawyer.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Everyone he's been attracted to so far is badass, a jerk, and/or demonic... but sweet and goofy or a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Inverted. Jyrras is the youngest of seven, the only boy, and the only one to be a kangaroo rat like their dad instead of a kangaroo like their mom. The result is that they persistently treat him like a baby and goodheartedly pick on him for being "so adorable", and with their superior size and strength, he can't do anything to stop them pestering him. He's ecstatic when his mom gives birth to a little brother because this means that they'll focus their attentions on him instead.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Small, adorable-looking and gentle-natured, but quite willing to attack like a wild animal if he's cornered and desperate. To say nothing of his talent for producing scientific weaponry.
- Bi the Way: Maybe. Abel's early comments suggest that Jyrras might be bisexual, but Jyrras later concludes that he's gay... and then starts second guessing his conclusion.
- Color-Coded Characters: Always seen wearing some shade of blue and it's usually light blue.
- The Ditherer: The Insecure. Along with his shyness, Jyrras is also known for his indecisiveness and ever-questioning attitude towards his choices in life (as such discussed about his Goals in Life when he first met Dan) and his personal feelings (most notably his skepticism regarding his feelings toward Dan, Lorenda, and Abel and whether he believes he's truly gay or not).
- Gayngst: A downplayed case, but he does get some plot complications; two cases of Incompatible Orientation in a row, plus his own dithering on whether he is or isn't bisexual enough to like Lorenda.
- Gender Equals Breed: He's a kangaroo rat like his dad, while his sisters are all kangaroos like their mom.
- Incompatible Orientation: First with Dan and then with Abel.
- Lethal Chef: As of strip 1314.
- Mad Scientist: While it has yet to be directly related to the series, Jyrras is a very skilled inventor who has even accidentally created life. Twice, in fact.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: He's the Blue Boy to Lorenda's Pink Girl.
- Shrinking Violet: Jyrras is the shyest character in the series.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: The reason he likes Abel and Dan as he reveals to Daniel himself. There is/was also his attraction to Lorenda who, whilst a Demon, is a genuine Nice Girl.
- Transparent Closet: As lampshaded by Lorenda in comic 829. His sisters called it from early on.
- Truly Single Parent: Created Deathbringer and M.A.C.E. and calls them "his daughters", who in turn call him "their father."
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Dan.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Wildy at least seems to think this is the reason that he wouldn't take the free punch she offered him. Given that she's a close friend and Jyrras isn't particularly violent, she could very well be wrong.
A chubby but friendly Cow/Demon-Mare half-breed, Lorenda Soulstealer lives at Jyrras's mansion and looks out for him.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Quiet, polite, level-headed, good-natured, fun-loving, always tries to treat Beings with respect, always pays her rent on time... and eats people.
- Big Beautiful Woman: She still portrayed as attractive inspire of her weight.
- Big Eater: She's officially described as "most often seen: eating" and having cooking as one of her hobbies. Plus, there's the whole "eating people" thing.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: She's half Being (Cow), and half Creature (Demon-Mare), Lorenda's mother ate Lorenda's father for cheating on her before discovering she was pregnant with Lorenda, her mother is still one of the most notorious Demons around, and her Demon relatives include Dark Pegasus and Regina Darkblood.
- What perhaps really screws things up is that she acknowledges that her mother and uncle really do love her. It's just, well, they're pretty stereotypical Demons and Lorenda's sensibilities are more those of a Being.
- Color-Coded Characters: She usually wears violet clothing.
- Covert Pervert: Hides Cubi porn on the top shelf, fortunately Abel doesn't know what "xxx" means.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Early Installment Weirdness: Lorenda is more openly predatory early in the strip's run.
- Fat and Proud: She previeds provides the page quote:Dan: Whoah! You're a big, fat cow!Lorenda: Why yes I am! It's so good to see all my efforts finally being noticed!
- I'm a Humanitarian: Creatures in general tend to eat Beings without remorse. Lorenda will eat (or at least used to eat) not only Creatures that try to prey on her or her friends, but also Beings who manage to make her mad. She even has to move in with Jyrras because of her appetite.
- Yes, she WILL eat hamburgers made of beef, so if you think about it Jyrras is now living with a cannibalistic serial killer.
- Non-Human Humanoid Hybrid: She's half Being and half Creature, specifically half Bovine Being and half Demon. This results in her being a cow with tiny demon wings.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: She's the Pink Girl to Jyrras' Blue Boy.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She has pink hair (and pink hair for her tailtip), to go along with her quietly friendly personality. It's a pastel shade of blood you know.
- Wings Do Nothing: Her half-Being status means those tiny wings on her back are purely vestigial. They just sit there, she can't fly with them like her mom can.
A small drake, Mab's apparent pet/best companion and bane of Dan's life.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Dan, Abel and Fi have all been terrorized by him at some point. Normally, he just seems a harmless pet.
- The Chessmaster: Forces Jyrras to reveal his firearm technology to the world by eating the phone. Although he had hoped that the resulting confrontation would have gotten someone killed.
- Our Dragons Are Different: He's a small drake, vastly undersized and underpowered compared to "standard" dragons. The Reveal that real dragons are the Lawful counterpart to the Chaotic fae and don't exist on Furrae also implies that he is one of those dragons whose omnipotence was taken away for disobedience the Dragons' creator, Direlamyl. Presumably, Mab doesn't know this in-character.
- The Unintelligible: except to Mab. It might be Obfuscating Stupidity, if Abel's dream is any indicator.
A hot-blooded, hot-tempered, mischievous ferret with a major tomboyish streak. She and Dan have been friends since they were kids, and Dan's vendetta with Regina has something to do with her mother's death.
- Action Girl
- Arranged Marriage: Wildy apparently has one waiting for her in two years.
- The Berserker: When she gets herself worked up for a fight, she really needs to fight something.
- Blood Knight: When a fight starts at the inn, she's ecstatic.
- Childhood Friends: With Dan.
- Color-Coded Characters: She's usually seen in green or blue.
- Cute Bruiser: Small as Jyrras, but considered the meanest, scariest member of the group.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Though it's fur, not skin, she has the coloration for it anyway.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not as sharp-tongue as Abel, but it's one of her defining traits.
- Heel Realization: Minor example: after protecting Abel from adventurers who falsely believed him to be responsible for murdering Merlitz, she has a discussion with her brother about whether the adventurers guild is really a good thing or if they're just perpetuating a cycle of violence by constantly murdering Creatures for murdering Beings.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: No, really. Abel, though, thinks of her more as a Jerk with a Heart of Jerk.
- Furry Fandom: Inverted. She's a furry member of the Human Fandom, which is the comic world's equivalent in terms of reputation.
- The Gadfly: She loves riling up her friends' chains, especially Dan's and Jyrras'.
- The Lad-ette: The time she flashed a bunch of Jehova's Witnesses while declaring that if boys could sit around playing videogames topless, then so could she, is a pretty strong hint of this.
- Missing Mom: Shown to have been killed by Regina. Her death is what motivates her to be an Adventurer..
- Nice Hat: Her navy blue baseball cap which also be seen in her cast page.
- Otaku Surrogate: Apart from being a Yaoi Fangirl.
- The Prankster
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She becomes bloodthirsty when deprived of an in-progress fight.
- Redhead In Green: Whenever she's wearing green, such as her signature green tank top which can be seen in her cast page.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Yes. Yes, she does.
- Shipper on Deck: Self-lampshaded here
- Yaoi Fangirl
A cat-based Incubus who was originally going to be Dan's roomate at the Succubus And Incubus Academy, he ended up being sent back to live at Lost Lake and be Dan's teacher instead.
- A Day in the Limelight: He has an entire, 2-part side comic focusing on his Backstory.
- Afraid of Blood: And he's actually had this since before seeing Devin killed and then his father killing his best friend and brutalizing his mother.
- Ambiguously Gay: He likes cooking, decorating, and making clothes, and his default outfit is a skirt and thigh-high boots. Some of the characters and many of the readers suspected he was gay because of this. It turns out that he isn't gay, but he also isn't straight. Or bi.
- Asexuality: By his own statement the closest thing he has to a sexual orientation is "not interested". Though it turns out that he's not strictly aromantic.
- Badass Bookworm: So long as there's no blood, Abel can hold himself pretty well in a fight. And in the very chapter his adept fighting skills are demonstrated, he's shown to be fond of books as well, even being given a digital reader as a present from Jyrras.
- Bad Dreams: comics #1091 - #1095 consist of them. And quite a bit is revealed about Abel in them.
- Birthday Hater: Abel never was particularly thrilled about celebrating his 400th birthday but when the day came around, he soon enough warmed up to it. But having adventurers attack you and your friends doesn't do well in reassuring anyone of repeating the process.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: The reason he stays at the Lost Lake Inn is to protect Dan and Alexsei, who are themselves extremely badass.
- Break the Cutie: When he was younger, he was far more sociable and cheerful than he is now. The experiences surrounding his arrival at SAIA made him the sarcastic loner he is now, and is only just recovering.
- Brought Down to Normal: As a consequence of not feeding on emotions for an extended period of time. Aaryana theorizes that Abel's Being half is becoming dominant, which may explain why he is able to dream when Cubi normally can't.
- Character Development: Abel appears to have become a lot less of a jerk than when first met and a bit more willing to socialize as well as being more willing to show his kinder and softer side that he's been trying to conceal ever since his admission into SAIA, courtesy of his father.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Two whole side-comics of it.
- Deadpan Snarker: Probably the most snarky and sarcastic of the cast, right up there with Devin, both pre- and post-undeath.
- Deus Angst Machina: Let's take a look at Abel's past and see if he qualifies, shall we? After attending his former baby sitter and best friend's funeral, he runs into his childhood bully, Devin, and his companion, Xander, while on his way home. During the time Devin and Xander are escorting Abel home (as they are now adventures with tips of monster sightings in the area), Devin and Abel begin to make peace with one another only for all three to get caught in an ambush that immediately kills Xander and kills Devin shortly after (thanks to Abel's headwings sprouting and distracting Devin), all before Abel's eyes. Abel is too afraid to help the dying Devin, a guilt that weighs heavily on him afterwards. Abel manages to escape the carnage thanks to his former teacher, Kria Soulstealer who was involved in it. Later that night, Abel's father, Sid, (a retired adventurer) comes home to find his son as a full Cubi. Then his father turns out to a Cubi himself, by the name of Aniz, who killed Sid long ago, assumed his form for all these years to have tricking May, Abel's mother, into bearing Abel. Aniz proceeds to horribly brutalize May and Abel, dices Hennya before their eyes (Abel's best friend), and abducts Abel into SAIA keeping him there and hesitant on the prospect of revenge under the threat of killing May. If none of this qualifies him for the trope, then the fact that all of this takes place over the course of a single day!!
- Duality Motif: Mismatched Eyes (green and blue) and feathery bat wings. "Both traits have a chance of showing up in non-Quoar Cubi and being born with either trait is considered a good omen. Non-Quoar Cubi born with both are rare and highly idealized among other clans."
- Emo Teen / Wangst: Well, he isn't a teenager, in fact he was already in his early twenties when he stopped aging (like all Creatures), but he most certainly fits everything else of the tropes as he's been called out on them by Aaryanna (see her "The Reason You Suck" Speech in her section below) and Fa'Lina. However, these may be justified in that not only is his past not a very pleasant one but he is a Cubi from the Clan of Siar whose affinity is the emotion of sorrow.
- Even the Guys Want Him / Even the Girls Want Her: Everyone is gay (and furry) for Abel. No exceptions.
- Friendless Background: From the way he acts you'd think this trope would be played very straight but it's actually quite zigzagged. The entry for DMFA on the trope's main page has a very descriptive tale on this about Abel.
- Gender Bender: And this is why you're still gay for Abel even if you're female. He definitely identifies as male, but he's extremely cavalier about shapeshifting himself female.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: It's quickly made clear that Abel acts like a jerk, but he really isn't as bad as he tries to present himself to be.
- I Am a Monster: Downplayed, but, Abel admits that self-loathing is probably one of the reasons why he can so candidly point out the flaws of the 'Cubi race, especially their tendency towards Moral Myopia.
- Irony: An Incubus who has absolutely no interest in sex.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He may be bitter, acerbic and snarky, but he really does care deeply about those he considers friends.
- Last of His Kind: He's the last living member of the fallen Siar Clannote
- Loners Are Freaks: As bitterly and angrily lampshaded by Aaryanna in her ""The Reason You Suck" Speech", sure Aniz forced Abel into SAIA and, sure, he may have threatened Abel's mother life if he didn't stay there, but in lieu of using the resources at the academy to better his abilites to face his father and very much possibly save his mother (considering that, according to Aaryanna, Aniz never even finished the basic combat courses at SAIA), what does Abel do? Why, he holes himself up in SAIA and broods of course. He also adopts a snarky, jerkass persona in the hopes of driving people away from him (heavily hinted to do so because he fears he'd become a monster like his father). He has been becoming better over time, however.
- MayflyDecember Romance: Invoked and played for laughs in comic #1744.
- Mismatched Eyes: Part of his Duality Motif.
- Momma's Boy: Downplayed in that they didn't always agree on a lot of things and May was far from being a Beloved Smother, nevertheless Abel was very close to his mother and loved her deeply; his failure to save her life under the threat of Aniz is one of his My Greatest Failures.
- Mr. Fanservice: The prettiness, constant shirtlessness, troubled past and attitude make him pretty popular with the fangirls. And fanboys.
- Multicolored Hair: Three colors; his hair is the same color as his fur, i.e. beige-tan-ish with black spots, and the ends are brown.
- My Greatest Failure: Failing to save Hennya, his best friend who was killed by his father, and May, his mother who he was threatened by his father to stay away from lest said father would kill her. She eventually died of old age without ever having seen her son again until the very moment of her death. He still can't forgive himself to this day.
- Noble Demon
- Pretty Boy: Referred to as such in-comic.
- Really 700 Years Old: He turns 400 soon.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Abel usually plays the Blue Oni to most of the characters, especially to Dan's and Mink's Red.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Oh my.... Not to mention his being a Walking Shirtless Scene. He also has no reservations whatsoever about stripping the likes of Dan and Aaryanna.
- Sins of Our Fathers: He feels responsible for failing to kill Aniz, and so instead dedicates himself to protecting the children of the adventurers who actually killed him.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: He qualifies when we know just how much he's been hurting inside.
- Stepford Snarker: Much like Devin, especially from what's been shown pre-undeath, Abel takes to snarking to hide the pain of his past.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: He can be quite aloof and a bit of a jerk one minute and a bit willing to help and offer advice the next. The Sugar side of his personality has gradually become more apparent, particularly in Chapter 28.
- Supreme Chef: Everyone loves his baking.
- Survivor's Guilt: He holds a lot of guilt and shame over surviving the massacre that killed Devin and his inability to save his mother and best friend from Aniz (in both scenarios, he feels as though he could done something or more to help).
- Troubled, but Cute: Abel has had a Dark and Troubled Past, tries to perpetuate an image of himself as being a jerk-ish loner while shunning the idea of having friends, and, while he might not have the usual leather jackets and leather boots, he is a true knockout having (possibly unknowingly) garnered the attractions of Jyrras, Aaryanna, possibly Mink and even a spider.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: You've probably figured out by now how the meme came around. Ironically enough, when he was younger he thought he looked like a pervert without a shirt, even though he'd walk around his parents' home, go outside, and even attend a funeral shirtless all without apparent worry.
- And when he is visiting his dying mother shirtless, thanks to SAIA's librarian stealing his shirt, this gets a nice little hanging of the lampshade by Kria.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: He doesn't dress exclusively in women's clothing, but he typically wears a skirt, and for most of the gratuitous cosplay montage he had on a skirt or dress.
Dan's elder half-sister (same father, different mothers), the owner of Lost Lake.
- Badass Normal
- Cool Big Sis: To Dan
- Drop the Hammer/Hyperspace Mallet: Her primary weaopn
- Everyone Loves Blondes
- Tsundere: Usually Type A.
A "Warp-Aci", a kind of extradimensional familiar, that was originally supposed to disguise itself as Dan's letter to attend SAIA and then teleport him there. Through a complicated series of accidents involve Pip, he became Dan's instead.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Seems to be a species-wide trait.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Also seems to be a species-wide trait.
- Inconvenient Summons: Depending on their mood.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter
- Random Teleportation: Seems to be what actually happens to things they "eat."
- Sweet Tooth: Easily bribed with candy.
- Verbal Tic: "Ch-ya!"
- Warp Whistle: Basically a sentient one. Warp-aci are also the only known way to get to SAIA, since it's extradimensional.
A mysterious figure who started visiting the Lost Lake early in the series run and has recently moved into a relationship with Alexsi.
- Break the Cutie: Finding out from one of his surrogate mothers (a Phoenix and very accurate Seer) that he has to choose between leaving Alexsi or his future being a completely blank unseeable void doesn't do wonders for his sense of security.
- Indeterminate Furry: Unless you know the truth.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: His father's kind of a dick.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Hee.
A cat-based Succubus on a quest to find and kill Dan for killing her friend, Destania, she gave it up after falling in love with Merlitz. Extremely proud of being a Succubus, the relationship broke up during the SAIA arc and she went on to become a teacher at the Academy.
- Color-Coded Characters: Always wears some element of purple in her attire.
- Evil Teacher / Hot Teacher: Has recently taken up the position as the Head of the Pain and Terror Department in Destania's absence at SAIA. And when a student gives her lip....
- Horny Devils: Justified. Her clan Hrienth's affinity is pain and lust.
- Pride: To say that Aaryanna has a lot of pride in the Cubi race would be an Understatement.
- Put on a Bus: The character was borrowed from a Furcadia player who was a friend of the author's, as was Merlitz. When the players broke up and left Furcadia, the author broke the characters up and gently removed them from the comic. Aary still appears in SAIA from time to time, though.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers a particularly ''scathing'' one to Abel.
- Tsundere:For Abel. Yes, really.
A Phoenix B, Aliyka somehow manages to be both an adventurer and a pacifist. An old friend of Dan's, who met her during his fir!!Associated Tropes:st encounter with Dark Phoenix.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Put on a Bus: She and Merlitz caught the same one.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She rarely does it but when she does, look out.
A group of about four rats who live in the basement at Lost Lake. They became Dan's roomies when he was sent to live down there, but he and they get on well enough.
- No Name Given: The three males.
- Out of Focus: Whilst never a major presence in the comic at some point the Rats seem to drop out altogether, with even their cast page being removed, without a stated In-Universe reason.
- We Are Everywhere: They are part of a hidden society of rats who claim to inhabit or have access to every basement in the world.Rat 1: If the place has a basement, then there will be rats!Rat 2: We have a network!
Wildy San's brother, formerly sister, an exile and leader of the Twinks.
- Big Brother Instinct: He may be a jerk, but is willing to threaten even Destania for even possibly hurting his sister.
- The Chessmaster: Someone else who's gearing up for something big...
- Fantastic Racism: When his sister comes to him with her doubts about whether the adventurer's guild is really helping protect Beings from Creatures, he gives her a lecture on how Creatures are too dangerous to trust, as they have no empathy to restrain their considerable powers.
- Inherent in the System: Biggs' philosophy is that the whole world sucks, specifically how it runs on Might Makes Right. It's gotten to the point where he almost doesn't hate Regina for killing his mom, believing she's a victim of the system like everyone else.
- Incompatible Orientation: Implied in comic #1640. Jyrras brings up in passing, much to Biggs' enraged embarrassment, that in his original identity as Bridget, she had a huge crush on Dan. It's suggested that Biggs has never confessed to either having been Bridget or about Bridget's romantic feelings to Dan because he figures that Dan would reject him for having been turned into a guy. Ironically, his reaction to the comment suggests he's still carrying a small torch for Dan.
- Missing Mom: Shown to have been killed by Regina.
- Sibling Rivalry: With Wildy.
- Touched by Vorlons: He used the boon Mab offered to him to gain the magical power he would need to begin changing the status quo.
- Transgender: After Biggs teases him for a bit, Jyrras brings up the following: Biggs used to be "Bridget". Biggs winds up forgiving Jyrras for deadnaming him, but also threatens to dunk him out a two story window if he does it again.
- Villain Has a Point: While clearly Biggs' isn't supposed to be likable when he defends the "civilian casualties" in the adventurer/Creature war as For The Greater Good, it's hard to deny that he has a point about how the adventurers are needed. Creatures do abuse Beings, often fatally, and they do get off with a slap on the wrist for it, legally. Hell, the primary type of antagonistic Creature, the Demons, are explicitly called out as not caring to retaliate for their own (because Might Makes Right, so a Demon who got killed deserved it) and as the most rampantly abusive of species because of that same belief that any Being too weak to stop them is just a walking snack if they decide it. Before the Early Installment Weirdness kicked in, even Lorenda the Half-Demon, despite professing to try and follow Being morality, was a rampant cannibal.
- And apparently his plan involved fixing this problem once and for all.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Has only been shown wearing a shirt once, when forced to by hospital rules, which he complains about and takes off the instant he exits the door.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Biggs claims this, as the reason why he can now beat up the formerly crossdressed Dan. Subverted when it's revealed to be Destania in disguise, whilst the real Biggs is outright confused at the notion that somebody wouldn't hit Wildy when given the chance.
Artificial life-forms accidentally created by Jyrras, Deebs is a living wad of bubblegum that typically takes the shape of a tiny bunny and M.A.C.E is a powerful humanoid robot.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: M.A.C.E. sometimes.
- Deathbringer the Adorable: Deebs, the Trope Namer.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Deebs.
- Robot Girl: M.A.C.E.
- Rubber Man: Deebs is made of bubble gum.
- Those Two Guys: Much of the time.
- Tin Man: M.A.C.E. switches between being an Emotionless Girl and a Bratty Teenage Daughter.
Kria Soulstealer's brother (real name "Aliph Soulstealer"), creator of the whole school of necromancy, but disillusioned with that sort of magic, to the point he now specialises in creating "Death Guards", which are golems fueled by the harvested souls of the undead.
- Back from the Dead: Multiple times!
- Came Back Wrong: Kria and Devin note that he seems to get more and more... off... each time he is brought back to life. Specifically he's become more obsessed with conquering or destroying the one kingdom he wants.
- Contractual Genre Blindness: Prefers the "classic" ways of villaining. This hasn't exactly helped him when facing Dan.
- Driven by Envy: Aliph felt envious about how Kria's accomplishments got more notoriety while his successes often went unnoticed. This eventually drove him to rush his plan to create an undead army to conquer the kingdom of H-Ann, leading to his mistake that created the Undead and resulted in his first death.
- Enemy Mine: After a dragon attack in Zinvth, Kria calls him for advice on how to handle the politics of the situation. Dark Pegasus realizes that the dragons are after Dan's grandmother and agrees to help. He is aware of the irony of Dan's greatest nemesis helping him against a bigger threat.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: For all that he can be a horrible villain, he cares a great deal for his family.
- Evil Gloating: Averted. When he proves to be a far better father figure for Regina than her real father could ever hope to be, he points out he gets more satisfaction about being better than gloating about being better.
- Evil Overlord
- Family Values Villain: For all that he cannot comprehend social values, Aliph clearly considers his familial duties to be extremely important. Lorenda describes him as the uncle who attended her dance recitals and taught her to ride a bike, and when Regina concludes that her biggest ambition is a career in fashion, Aliph helps her find entry-level job listings, send applications, and prepare for interviews.
- Faux Affably Evil: He will kill people mid-sentence and smile at you politely while he rips your heart from your chest (which he almost succeeded to do to Dan)
- Hates Being Touched: No hugs. EVER.
- I Gave My Word: In the backstory, Dark Pegasus actually gave Dan an offer that if he didn't seek revenge on Regina for fifty years, he wouldn't attack the kingdom of H-Ann. Apparently Dan knows for certain that he would keep his word and the strip where this is revealed all but states outright he's...
- Lawful Evil: Implied by Dan and nearly outright stated in the strip name mentioned in the above trope.
- My Greatest Failure: He hates being reminded that he originated the Undead.
- Our Liches Are Different: It's heavily implied that he may be the closest thing in this setting to a Lich.
- Parental Substitute: With Lorenda's father dead and Regina's father being "an idiot", Aliph has become a substitute father for both of them. At the times when he's shown with Regina, you could almost forget that he's one of the main villains.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Chews out Regina who wants wanton violence because it's just mindless destruction. When she says she wants to be popular, Pegasus points out that violence tends to have the opposite effect.
- His greatest regret is creating the Undead. Not because he desecrated the graves of countless Beings doing so, but because they have free will and are useless as slaves.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Sour Supporter: His opinion of Regina's ambition to be a fashionista is that it's stupid, but if it's valuable to her, then he will help her attain it."Regina. I don't know if you have noticed, but I tend to find -everything- stupid."
- You Are What You Hate: Possibly; the explanation of his Start of Darkness heavily implies that Aliph may be a unique form of undead himself.
An undead cat who Kria Soulstealer used to keep as a slave, when the Undead spontaneously "awoke" forty years ago, she took him in as a kind of adopted son. Secretly, his original self was an associate of Abel's, murdered shortly before he discovered who his father was.
- Blank Slate: He was this for a while after receiving his own soul from the backlash of a currently unknown event. He had to retaught everything from the very basics of walking.
- Blue Boy Pink Girl: To both Lorenda's and Regina's Pink Girl.
- Came Back Wrong: Devin Soulstealer might even have a different "Soul" than the one Abel knew.
- Cats Are Mean: And very snarky. He's not bad all the time, though.
- Deadpan Snarker: He rivals Abel for the position of being the most snarky of the cast both pre- and post-undeath.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Gayngst: A minor case as Devin might have been gay when he was alive. He's not obsessing over it yet, and being undead he doesn't have any romantic leanings, but he was enjoying hearing about his life from Abel until that came up. Mostly from the reveal that he had a boyfriend and he feels guilty that he "didn't love him enough" to remember him after becoming undead.
- Kids Are Cruel: Bullied Abel during their childhood. Abel believed the reason he did so was because of Abel's wings but Devin reveals that because of his troubled childhood, while he took to being jerk, he did so indiscriminately and he never hated Abel particularly. However, this page seems to imply that Devin may have been Driven by Envy as well.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As seen in Abel's Story.
- The Slow Path: Devin had to be retaught everything (from Kria Soulstelaer, no less) from the very basics of walking after a certain event caused the Undead to receive their own souls.
- Stepford Snarker: Pre-undeath. Dark and Troubled Past Because a rather troubled childhood. It would seem Abel took after Devin in this regard.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Thanks to being an Undead.
See Cubi Clan Leaders, below.
Kria Soulstealer, notorious Demon-Mare, mass murderer, rampant cannibal, spreader of chaos. Also Lorenda's mother and not without her good side.
- Action Mom
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Take a look at the examples on the main page and on the trope page and be eternally grateful that you don't (and sorry if you do) have a parent like her. Seriously, all she needs are the standards to have given her daughter to complete the package.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: It's something of a characteristic for all Demons, as they are creatures of chaos. Even by Demon standards, though, Kria is implied to be rather distracted and whimsical.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: As a pure-blooded Demon, this comes with the territory, though by Demon standards, especially, it's actually a very loving one. What makes it painful for her is that the clash between her own demonic nature/attitudes and Lorenda's more Being-based standards means that she and her daughter fight and quarrel a lot, which genuinely hurts her.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Creatures are bad about this, but Demons are big on the "might makes right" view of the world. She's quite at a loss as to why this often makes Lorenda mad at her, usually reacting by either being confused or simply upset about how Lorenda turned out in such an unDemonic fashion. She blames herself for it, accusing the root cause of being her allowing Lorenda to go to a base high-school (where she was exposed to the "corruptive influence" of hippies) instead of a private school for demon-mares.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Kria has made a lot of enemies, it's so bad she doesn't even bother trying to keep track of them all, or the myriad of reasons why people want her dead. It's just easier to assume anyone would want her dead, and to have a plan to kill everyone whenever she's right.Lorenda: (screaming through the phone) YOU DID WHAT!?Kria: May need to narrow it down a bit there, sweetie. Been a busy week.
- Cool Aunt: To Regina, to the point that Regina envies Lorenda for being Kria's daughter and bases her desire to go on rampages on the fact that it's what she often sees Kria doing.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Kria tends to just constantly make things worse for herself when Lorenda gets mad at her.
- Dirty Old Woman: Despite not looking that old. This part of her personality becomes more evident as her flesh-eating monster aspect is pushed to the background. Particularly noted examples of this are her declaring Jyrras to be "so friggen hot" after he bites her for pushing him around, and her willingness to publicly boast about how her daughter has apparently shacked up with an attractive adventurer (Dan).
- Her rampant flirtation with Dan throughout the Return of Dark Phoenix arc (which culminates in her trying to have sex with him in the Randomosity arc) may or may not fall into this, as Dan is an Incubus and so may be unintentionally attracting her despite his wishes.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Our first sightings of her are eating Lorenda's dad in flashback and failing to understand that her daughter doesn't like her mom eating everyone they meet on a nature walk (having caused so many disappearances that adventurers were getting called in to investigate). To say nothing of what happens when she's introduced to Jyrras' family. There's a reason she's seen casually paying a check for randomly killing 12 Beings to help explain just why it is that Beings don't really like Creatures and have responded with authorizing adventurers. Around the SAIA arc, she too stops getting much mention of her willingness to eat Beings or even to go on random rampages.
- Even Evil Has Standards: As well as the "played for laughs" version where she proclaims eating Lorenda's father for cheating on her was less cruel then taking him to court, there's the more serious aspect that she refuses to hurt friends, family and students.
- Girly Bruiser: Somewhat. Her default hobby after murder and mayhem is shopping, she sometimes takes great pains to do her hair in the morning (but often forgets she flies to work) and she loves ice cream.
- Hidden Depths:For all the wealth and exploits to her name, she REALLY misses being just a magic teacher.
- Hot Teacher: Was once Abel's magic teacher.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Originally the most voracious predator in the series, at that. Like most Demons, she sees no problems with eating Beings, and even openly brags about how Lorenda used to eat other kids when she was little.
- It's All About Me: Kria doesn't care if chasing an ice cream truck in your nightgown looks silly, because worrying about what other people think means that you actually care about other people's opinions.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: From the way she acts in the present, many forget that she IS a highly skilled demon. Sort of overlaps with Early Installment Weirdness.
- Noble Demon: As far as Demons go, she seems to be one of the more benign ones.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: As pointed out by her brother, Kria may be an odd mix of violent and friendly but never assume she's stupid.
- Older Than They Look: Common to all Creatures, who stop physically aging in roughly their twenties despite living for millenia.
- Parents as People: Blue and Orange Morality aside, she is a decent mother to Lorenda and tries to help her whenever she can.
- Pet the Dog: She went through the trouble of retraining Devin after he got his soul and essentially raised him, when a lot of others simply got rid of their undead. There's also her letting Abel escape the massacre that killed Devin in the first place and her genuine guilt that he had to see it in the first place.
- While visiting the Trik'na, the island of the Undead, she's fairly pleasant to her guide, the borderline Nervous Wreck Sherri and indeed doesn't appear to dislike any of the Undead personally.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Trademark Favorite Food: Apparently, ice cream.
A tauric three-eyed cobra-like Mythos that Dan meets while accompanying Mab to buy a new home, she is quite attracted to Dan, and reassures him that it's a natural feeling, as her kind are immune to Charm Person effects.
- Action Girl: She once ripped off her brother's arm and beat him into submission with it. Her brother, for reference, looks something like this. Later subverted. She repeatedly stabbed the corpse of her brother out of anger that he slit his own throat.
- A Day in the Limelight: Much like Abel, Matilda is currently receiving her own side story serving to flesh her out more.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Her race operates on this, and it's why she says she ripped of her brother's arm and beat him with it. Females are expected to Stay in the Kitchen and defying the alpha male is a death sentence, the attack was to prove how strong she was so that her tribe would recognize her as a male, and would be exiled instead.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Aside from being part of a race that a) has temper issues, and b) can breathe fire, there's the fact that she was exiled for beating her brother into submission. By which we mean killing him, though he was already dead when she found him.
- Broken Pedestal: Heshi's suicide dramatically changed her opinion of him. That said, she still cared enough to cover up the real reason for his death, and after she learned about depression much later, she started seeing him much more sympathetically.
- Cute Monster Girl: The females of her race are smaller, smoother and more conventionally cute than their male counterparts, who are large, spiky and quite aggressive to anything that is not a female of their species and sometimes to those too.
- Cuteness Proximity: In her first appearance, she adores one of Dan's wing-heads as if it was a baby.
- Fantastic Arousal: A variation; in commic #1731, she confesses that part of why Dan pushes her buttons in terms of physical appeal is because his headwings remind her of the mate-attracting frills the males of her species use to court females. Its not that she hasn't picked up on Being standards enough to find him hot without it, but the fact he pushes one of her instinctive buttons is enough to knock her really silly.Matilda: "Eeheeheehe...dat wingspan..."
- Hidden Depths: While she really is a Nice Girl, one can't live for over 200 years without picking up a past.
- I Just Want to Be Badass
- Interspecies Romance: She's a taur Mythos while Dan is a feline Being Incubus.
- Meaningful Name: As her backstory reveals, the name Matilda comes from Mahilta, a figure in their mythology who killed his brother - just as her former tribe believes that she killed hers.
- Most Common Superpower: Art Evolution has been VERY kind to Matilda.
- Nice Guy: She's sweet, kind, understanding, playful, a little silly, but otherwise just a very nice girl.
- Official Couple: With Dan.
- Playing with Fire: When she bothers breathing in, she breathes out fire.
- Satellite Love Interest: Subverted. While the most appearances she's made in the main comic feature her alongside Dan, they tend characterize her further and we get to learn more about her. There's even two comic strips that feature her without Dan which hint that she may take up Adventuring. In fact, Amber especially states that she is creating Matilda's side story specifically so she wouldn't be known as "just the girlfriend of Dan".
- Self-Made Man: She's not exactly rich but she informs Dan that when she first arrived in Zinvth, she had quite little patience (and it can be presumed that she had next to nothing since her exile from her clan) but with developing that and hard work, she has managed to procure herself a shop of her own, sufficient amounts of money, and she is quite respected.
- Tomboy: While she says she acted like a male to prove her worth, when her backstory is shown, her species normally have families of two sons and one daughter, while her father had one son and two daughters. This triad is apparently in their nature, and Matilda naturally gravitated towards being a second son rather than a daughter.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Likes theater, gardening and collecting knick-knacks. She's also a bit of a romantic.
- Unreliable Narrator: In her backstory, her narration doesn't always match up with what's going on on-panel, especially in regards to her brother. At first it seems to be because her opinion of him changed after he committed suicide, but at the end of her backstory she reveals that she was also offered a lot of money for her story on a talk show and played up certain aspects of it for the viewers.
- Vertebrate with Extra Limbs: Two "arms" on an upraised torso, four "legs" on a quadrapedal lower body.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Has a phobia of Pancakes brought on from her being hospitalized after eating some for the first time.
An ex-adventurer who was let go from his group upon claiming to have met a dimension-travelling human, a skilled pyromancer. Had a short-lived romance with Aaryana, but broke things off with her and then left to become an adventurer again after the SAIA arc.
- Bus Crash: As of comic #1326
- Color-Coded Characters: Always seen in blue.
- Never Found the Body: As pointed out, his adventurer gem means either he is dead, OR 'sealed by powerful magics'. It's pointed out in an author thing that he's still in a Schrodinger situation.
- Only Sane Man (early on)
- Playing with Fire: He's a fire mage.
- Put on a Bus: The character was borrowed from a Furcadia player who was a friend of the author's, as was Aaryana. When the players broke up and left Furcadia, the author broke the characters up and gently removed them from the comic.
A Demon of the Soulstealer family, 2nd-niece to Kria and Dark Pegasus. Self-centered and vapid even by Demon standards. Dan and Wildy have a history with her; they've vowed to kill her.
- Accidental Murder: Her killing Wildy's mother was done on adrenal reflex and it was apparently her first kill.
- Ax-Crazy: Aside from the instance mentioned above.
- Ironically, Character Development reveals that she is not as ax-crazy as other demons; she was ordered to go on a rampage as a demon rite of adulthood, and would have been happy not to go on one at all. In particular, she only attacked Dan because she mistook him for a rapist who intended to "tame" her.
- It's All About Me
- Martial Pacifist: From her talks with her boss Viv and Dark Pegasus, Regina enjoys a fight and DOES have violent impulses but seeking out a fight? Doesn't do anything for her.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The Pink Girl to Devin's Blue Boy
- Planet of Hats: For all her talk of going on rampages, her boss figures that she only does it because she's a demon and it's the sort of thing demons do. Being a Cubi with an affinity for pride, she can tell Regina doesn't care about rampages the way other demons do.
- Puny Earthlings: The blow that killed Mrs. San? A single swipe. Regina was as surprised as Dan was that it killed her.
- The Rival: Sees Lorenda as hers. Lorenda either doesn't know or doesn't care.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Inverted Trope. Repeat-"Self-centered and vapid even by Demon standards."
- Skeletal Appendage: For much of the comic her left wing was nothing but bones, while her right wing was whole; she could've grown it back at anytime, except she thinks it looks cool. During her time with Dark Pegasus, she grows it back; it's implied that she has a Healing Factor and that she has to get her wing touched up at a salon every now and then.
- Stupid Evil: Loves mindless violence and destruction. When she says she wants to be popular, Dark Pegasus points out violence tends to make one less popular.
- A Tragedy of Impulsiveness: Ultimately her feud with Dan and the San family comes down to Dan being Innocently Insensitive, horrible timing and Regina's inability to control her worst impulses. She does not even REMEMBER what she said to Dan during the fight.
- Yaoi Fangirl
The Author Avatar of, well, Amber. Usually has to be persuaded to continue to write the comic.
- Author Avatar
- Fourth-Wall Mail Slot: The "Question From The Readers" pages.
- Otherkin: While she openly denies it, Amber secretly believes she's a Fraggle.
A replacement of a former real-life character (A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles doll). Was originally a character in an earlier comic that Amber did as a school project. Mainly acts as a foil with Amber, motivating her through various means.
Mother of Destania and grandmother to Dan.
- The Atoner: Seems genuinely regretful of at least some of the deaths that resulted from her actions. It probably helps that her clan was almost entirely wiped out, which is emotionally devastating to Cubi and especially to clan leaders.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: As Cyra can attest, killing M'Chek wasn't worth it.
- Evil Matriarch: Has an indelible reputation as one, though she does not act as one in the comic.
- Family Eye Resemblance: She not only has green eyes, but every member of her clan does too as a defining trait, including Dan's hypothetical daughter with Matilda.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Because her default form as a giant cubi was making Dan uncomfortable, she assumed the form of a tiny old woman because this was Dan's expectation of a grandmother's appearance.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Ultimately why the Dragon/Cubi War started. It wasn't just because she killed a dragon. It was because until then, no one thought the Cubi could GET that strong.
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have!
- Hair Decorations
- Honey Trap: How she tricked and killed M'Chek, by gaining his favor and betraying his trust.
- I Want Grandkids: She's delighted to finally have a grandson after so long. Hard to blame her, considering how she lost nearly all of her clan.
- Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds: She accidentally killed everyone in a city she was only trying to take for herself, kicking off the Dragon-Cubi War and resulting in the near-extinction of not only her clan, but the Cubi in general.
- Statuesque Stunner: Takes it to its logical conclusion by being a Large and in Charge Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever.
- Was It Really Worth It?: She destroyed Hishaan, and found out it wasn't worth it.
The leader of her eponymous clan. Her emotional affinity is Confusion.
- Actual Pacifist: Does not tolerate her clan killing others, though she lifted this rule during The War.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: When you meet her, she usually takes the form of someone else you are thinking about.
- Note that, despite the trope name, this often makes situations rather awkward. And she can't turn it off.
- Blinding Bangs
- Casting a Shadow: She and her clan can manipulate their own shadows.
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- The Gadfly: Why she hangs around Zezzuva.
- Genki Girl
- Logic Bomb/Logical Weakness: To let people see her true appearance, they have to "think of someone they've never seen before." Surprisingly enough, Dan manages to do it on the first try; The comic's title states that most people think of themselves the first time they try it.
- Nice Mice
- No Sense of Personal Space: To Zezzuva.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: The shortest of the Clan Leaders. Makes sense, she's a mouse.
- Power Incontinence: She has no control over everyone seeing her as whoever they're thinking about when they first look at her.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Seems to have this going on with Zezzuva.
Headmistress of SAIA, she started the academy during the Dragon-Cubi War to protect young cubi and help them to develop and learn.
- Affably Evil: Self-confessed insane sadist, headmistress of SAIA and strongly implied to kill on a whim, and yet
- Beauty Mark: She has one below her right eye.
- Color-Coded Characters: Almost always adorned in some shade of purple (most commonly magenta, fuchsia, or some combination of the colors, if not wearing outright violet).
- Eccentric Mentor: She runs an academy for emotion-eating, mind-reading, shape-shifting, inherently magical Creatures. Acting weird comes with the territory. It's partially explained by the fact that being an "orphaned" Cubi Clan Leader tends to leave one a little loopy.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Got into a major fight with Destania when she suggested using Being children to demonstrate methods of torture on, and not only told Aniz how disgusted she was by his treatment of Abel, but only waited for him to stand up after the first punch she threw, which was for a completely different reason, just so she could get the best possible angle on the second punch.
- Friend to All Children: She is noted on her cast page to have "a near insane love for children and infants" which is evidenced in the main comic by her taking in and watching over Abel after he was forced into SAIA, sparing an infant Pyroduck's life (in lieu of killing him for revenge on his father) and giving him to the care of the Phoenix Oracle Da, and, as Fi notes, getting into a rather nasty fight with Destania when the latter wanted to use Being children and infants in her torture class.
- Gag Boobs: She's the most buxom of all the characters in the series. Even other Cubi assume she's abusing her shapeshifting abilities to get them, though it's hard to say whether they're actually natural or not. She also lampshades the trope by noting that if they were any bigger, she'd need to reinforce her spine to handle them.
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have!: As she sadly lampshades in the second half of Abel's story, nobody seems to ever notice.
- Hope Springs Eternal: Her clan's signature emotion was Hope. This, her motherly tendencies and her friendship with Cyra made her a target during the Dragon/Cubi War. And ultimately what got her through it....I was the clan of Hope, Daniel, And hope is a very peculiar thing. Sometimes, hope is all one has. And sometimes... hope is all one needs.
- I Want Grandkids: The reason why she's so thrilled that Pyroduck is dating Alexsi.
- Large and in Charge: According to Cyra, all Clan Leaders are naturally huge. She's just shapeshifted herself down. Which makes it a lot less unusual that she would know nearly everything going on at SAIA: theoretically, she could be as big as the academy itself.
- Last of Her Kind: Not in the obvious sense, since there are plenty of cubi around. But Fa'Lina's the last of her clan. And clan leaders can neither have more children nor convert others into their clan, so she always will be.
- Mood-Swinger: Apparently, all Cubi are like this and it gets worse the more powerful they are. Fa'Lina is a very powerful Succubus.
- Older Than They Look: As with many Cubi.
- Omniscient Morality License: She claims to have this, but also freely admits to being an insane sadist because they're apparently a package deal.
- Parental Substitute: To Abel and Pyroduck.
- Plucky Girl: See Hope Springs Eternal.
- Really 700 Years Old: She's nine thousand years old.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Another complicated one. She's a fantastic mother figure, but she's self-admittedly evil.
- Sizeshifter: See Large and in Charge.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes
- Team Mom: To her school. Her clan was originally known for this.
- To the point of becoming something of a surrogate mother to Pyroduck and Abel.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Taun has stated that Fa'lina is living on borrowed time due to having lost her entire clan and keeping SAIA out of the physical plane
The leader of her eponymous clan. Her emotional affinity is Pride.
- The Ace: According to her profile, she tends to cultivate these. Going by what she has allegedly done in the past, she herself is an expert cook and maker of pipe organs.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Behold the super-scary clan leader that Mink is afraid of who will do very horrible things to people who hurt her family!
- Combat Tentacles: Her clan trait is to have lots of these.
- Dirty Old Woman: She steals the pants off of Dan and Jakob for fun.
- Mama Bear: The price one person paid for murdering a member of her family is that she 'mega-killed' the person, turned their bones into a pipe organ that has never needed tuning and the rest of the corpse was turned into incredibly delicious mincemeat pies.
- Pride: Her emotional affinity
The leader of her eponymous clan. Her emotional affinity is Lust.
- Absolute Cleavage: When she wears anything at all.
- Dirty Old Woman: Piflak takes Dan's pants. Nact'Larn takes the robe, and proceeds to wear it.
- Horny Devils: Her clan is responsible for the stereotype and they do occasionally jump the gender barrier.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Her clan is known for working with clan Kish'ta to make horror movies.
- Ms. Fanservice: She leads the clan of lust, what else could she be?
- Non-Mammalian Mammaries: She's a bird.
- One-Gender Race: Everyone born into her clan is born female.
- Pūnct'uatìon Sh'akër
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She pretty much disdains clothes. The only reason she was clothed during the Clan Leader meeting was that after stealing Dan's robe, he refused to take it back and let her be naked again. She was huffy.
The leader of His eponymous clan. His emotional affinity is Love.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Seems like a pleasant enough man, if appropriately conniving for a Clan Leader. He also killed the wife of a very powerful and influential dragon.
- Crusading Widower: Why did he kill Hizell's wife? Hizell killed his.
- Duality Motif: His Clan always has Two of Something about them, both being opposites of each other. Two eye colors or two types of wings (one being angelic the other being demonic) are the most common.
- Nice Hat: Is it Ever!
- Opt Out: Never comes to any meetings.
- The Power of Love
- Shrouded in Myth: To the point the other Clan leaders have their doubts he's even alive.
- Extends to his clan. They don't use the Academy and the only reason the other clan's know they are still around is One Envoy shows up every thousand years.
- Walking the Earth
The leader of her eponymous clan. Her emotional affinity is Envy.
- Asexual: Expresses distaste at the thought of touching Dan and his clothes.
- Brutal Honesty: She filters her opinions for no one and tells Dan exactly what she thinks about his mother.
- Cain and Abel: Killed her sister to become clan leader.
- The Chess Master: Click the links under Iron Lady to find out.
- Creepy Twins: Her clan trait is to give birth to twins.
- The Stoic: Vaguely impressive for a leader of a race of empaths.
- Iron Lady: Exemplified here and here.
- Jerkass: Possibly. It could just be she just really hates clan Cyra and enjoys badmouthing them (she would hardly be the only one who does if this is the case). It could also be she wants Dan to take his role as representative and diplomat seriously and is trying to keep him on his toes. We'll see.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Either way, she says some very hurtful and more than likely true things about Destania to Dan.
- Prophet Eyes: Appropriately, her clan is known for mind-reading and fact finding.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Seems to have this going on with Dimanika.
- Statuesque Stunner: Is three heads taller than Dan. The long neck helps.
- Thanatos Gambit: She set a plan in motion to combine traits of the explosively-breeding Insectis with those of the Cubi race and pass down leadership to a carefully-bred successor, and in doing so increased her clan's numbers and power to the point of outnumbering every other Cubi clan combined. Though doing so ensures her demise as she cannot handle the strain of all that power, she has given her clan an increased chance at surviving whatever genocidal machinations the dragons may have planned for her.
Abel's father, who tricked Abel's mother into bearing his child by murdering her husband and assuming his form.
- Abusive Parents: He successfully pretended to be a loving father with no hints of abuse for around two decades, but then he turned around and packed enough abuse for a lifetime into one day.
- Consummate Liar: Comments on this at one point, when he says that he could make up a sob story about how all he wanted was to live the humble life and have a family... after all, he's spent so long living a lie; might as well throw a few more out there, right? Though as it turns out, the part about him wanting to have a family wasn't entirely a lie.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Aniz used to be more carefree and cheerful, even managing to woo Destania of all people. Then his clan was slaughtered and things rapidly went downhill from there.
- Killed Offscreen: By Edward Ti'fiona and his wife, Quintinga.
- Last of His Kind: At first; he was the sole survivor of the massacre that destroyed his clan who didn't kill himself or change clans afterwards. Needless to say it had a major effect on him. He later managed to father Abel and may have fathered others before his death.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Survivor Guilt: It's hinted that the psychic backlash of his entire clan being killed was his Start of Darkness.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: More like "used to be a total dork". When Fa'lina is describing Aniz's past relationship with Destania to Dan, the image shown is of teenage-equivalent Aniz amusing his girlfriend by making fart noises.
- Villainous Breakdown: He seems smug, calmly sadistic and generally in-control at first... which abruptly collapses when Hennya slightly injures him and things stop going as planned.
- We later learn this exact behavior is very typical of cubi, since their existing off emotions makes them often lose fights because they get way over-emotional way quickly.
A faerie whose favorite form is that of a fox, he wears a patch to give himself more angelic wings and hide his antennae because he thinks they make him look girly.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Last appearance was in #609. Though one of Amber's tweets suggests that he and Neni now have a kid.
- Happily Married: To Neni, of course.
- Noodle Incident
- Running Gag: And that was the last time I let Neni edit a page!!
A feline-based Succubus, Dan's mother.
- And Your Little Dog, Too!: Why did she berate and torture Abel while she was at SAIA so badly? Because Abel is Aniz's son and Destania didn't take their break-up very well. At all.
- Arch-Enemy: Dragons and Hizell in particular. Also Abel, though it is she who persists in the hostility.
- Ax-Crazy: Fa'Lina mentions that Destania may have finally snapped during the events of the comic.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: At first but eventually... nope.
- Evil Matriarch: Described as such by others, and when she finally appears she seems to fulfill the role.
- Evil Teacher: When she was at SAIA.
- Faux Affably Evil: She's quite charming up until you do something she doesn't like. Then she knows no bounds.
- Last of His Kind: Before Daniel's birth was the last living member of Clan Cyranote .
- The Resenter: According to Fa'lina, Destania was quite aware that everyone blamed her mother for the war, and so by extension blamed her, and thanks to Cyra artificially extending her lifespan that resentment festered more than it should have been allowed to.
- Retired Monster: Zig-zags. She used to be head of the Pain & Terror Department at SAIA, teaching Cubi how best to physically and mentally torture Beings for emotional sustenance before ripping them apart and eating their souls. Fa'lina once got into a fight with her for planning to to use Being infants as "demonstration materials" in her classes on torture. Abel describes her as possibly the coldest, evilist creature in SAIA and that she literally wrote the book on evil. All that, yet she seems to have mellowed out somewhat after getting married... except she's perfectly happy to hire adventurers to attempt to kill Abel for being 'stupid' and leaving the Academy. Oh, and her own daughter is an acceptable sacrifice, as she's a 'traitor' for falling in love with a dragon. Oh, and she's apparently planning genocide against said dragons.
MinkAn cephlopodian cubi of an unknown gender
- All-Loving Hero: They have some shades of this. From a clan of healers, willing to forgive the guy who killed their mother, and regularly bounces about in a cloud of energy.
- A recent comic tells us they're the representative of that clan of healers, which means they are an approved representation of the clan's image and interests. (May not be saying a whole lot; Clan Jin's viable population is 8.)
- "There is hope". Yes, that is Mink saving the life of someone who had their throat cut open by literally hugging the wound away.
- Ambiguous Gender: Mink is assumed to be a very girly boy, but could also be a female who lacks Non-Mammal Mammaries. Their official gender is "doesn't care".
- Animal Motifs: Octopi, specifically represented in their Running Gag of squeezing into very tiny spaces to hide from threats.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: The Gentle Squiggly to Abel's Brooding Boy.
- Cuddle Bug: The very first thing they do upon meeting Dan is latch onto him.
- The Ditz: Mink isn't exactly the smartest 'Cubi in the series. To put this in perspective, even accounting for the fact that Gender Bender Shapeshifting is part and parcel of the racial package, Mink has apparently forgotten what gender they originally were.
- Foil: To Abel. Mink is full of energy, very talkative, socially exuberant, and an all-around happy Cubi who loves making new friends and is very nice to most those he meets whilst Abel is melancholic, prefers to keep to himself, very reluctant to make any friends, and usually acts like a jerk to most people to hide the fact that he has a soft side and ensure his solitude. Mink was also the more active one in their friendship when Abel was still at SAIA whilst Abel was more passive (but didn't seem to mind Mink's company much). The icing on the cake to this is their emotional affinities, which are Joy and Sorrow for Mink and Abel, respectively.
- Gender-Neutral Writing: The comic itself dances around using gendered terms for Mink. The flavor text for comic #1500 mentions that Amber defaults to male pronouns, but Mink as a character doesn't care either way.
- Healing Hands: Clan Jin's trademark.
- Keet, unless they're a Genki Girl.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Rabbit and octopus, with bat wings. Mink's mother is shown in comic #1500 to be a rabbit Cubi, so presumably the octopus traits came from their father.
- Motor Mouth: Who needs backgrounds when you have walls made entirely of Mink ramblings?
- No Sense of Personal Space: Nope, not a sense of it.
- Only Friend: Aside from Fa'Lina, Mink was Abel's only friend during Abel's early years at SAIA and before Abel joined the Lost Lake gang.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Abel's Blue Oni.
- Stripperiffic: Runs around in nothing but a loincloth or a short skirt. All the time.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: We've seen them wearing an open jacket once, but never an actual shirt.
- Van Helsing Hate Crimes: They lost their mother this way.
A dragon infamous among the Cubi for destroying numerous clans, including Fa'Lina's, Siar's and Cyra's. He seems to be taking a particularly active role in the dragon's conflict with the Cubi.
- Big Bad: Certainly shaping up to be this.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Towards Abel. As Dark Pegasus and one of his own minions point out, Hizell could have easily bribed Kria into looking the other way and kill Abel consequence free. Instead, he "simply" brutalizes Abel and leaves him alive, both to avoid coming into conflict with Zinvth, and to draw out Destania.
- The Chessmaster: When fighting Siar, he anticipated that she'd summon backup and had his own reinforcements lying in wait. Siar didn't stand a chance. More recently, it's revealed at the Cubi Conference that he's responsible for the rise of an "anti-creature" cult and anti-Cubi propaganda in adventuring guilds.
- The Ghost: At first, he was only seen on-panel once, in silhouette. It wasn't until the "Friends in High Places" arc that he finally made his first on-panel speaking appearance.
- Moral Myopia: He's angry Quoar killed his wife even though he killed Quoar's first.
- Not So Different: Both he and Destania are lying low but making genocidal plans to wipe out their enemies.
- We Used to Be Friends: Was once friends with Fa'Lina. The friendship ended when she refused to turn over Destania to him and he murdered her entire Clan in response. He persists in the hostility, she has moved on with her life, such as it were.