The Goggle Five
Ken'ichi Akama/Goggle Red | Actor: Ryouji Akagi
A world-class explorer. He accidentally ran into the Deathdark Empire assaulting Professor Hongou while accidentally finding a secret passage to Wolfborg Castle in German, and then obviously saved the Professor. Right after that, he is immediately enlisted to the Goggle Five as its leader.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Red Punch
- Big Damn Heroes: Guess who always threw the first Goggle Saber and yell its name. He also debuts this way.
- Cool Plane: Goggle Jet
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: For being Goggle Red, Akama is the prominent user of the motorcycle and is the only one allowed to throw the Golden Spear.
- The Leader
- Over Crank: The screen tends to slow down when he does the Red Punch.
- Standardized Leader
- Whip It Good: Two of them; Red Ruby Whip and Red Rope.
Kanpei Kuroda/Goggle Black | Actor: Junichi Haruta
He's a chess club president in university and takes a part time job as a janitor in Kourakuen Stadium. He's the closest you can get for the Goggles' second in command, though being a real smart chess player, he's often landed with strategy devising roles and has a quick wit.
- Bruce Lee Clone: Episode 9 sets him up in a Calvinball game on martial arts. Then he got his shirts off, starts yelling "WATAAAH!" and uses the famous flying kick. Not to mention that as Goggle Black, one of his repertoire is... nunchaku.
- The Chessmaster & Chess Motifs: He could use some chess pieces as a throwing weapon.
- Easy Amnesia: He once fell for it when fighting Boar Mozoo. Though he's just faking to get him off guard.
- The Lancer: Mainly, since he is the second in command and is willing to hit Akama down if he's pushing himself too far.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Nearly implemented. There is a Sengoku-era strategist named Kuroda Kanbei. Kanpei is just different in one letter (and even then, a deeper spelling of 'pe' is 'be'), and he's also similarly The Strategist of the team.
- The Smart Guy: One of two. Based on being The Chessmaster, coming up to conclusion and devising strategies, as well as mastering complex techniques.
- Weapon of Choice
Saburou Aoyama/Goggle Blue | Actor: Shigeki Ishii
A hockey player, though he has dreams to be an inventor. Usually the best when it comes with dealing with little kids, and is very protective to them. Has a tendency to separate from his team, usually to scout on the enemy's activities.
- Foe-Tossing Charge: Blue Jet Dash
- Gratuitous English: In Episode 8, he utters one Engrish sentence.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Youngest of the men (still older than Miki) and is the 'kid-friendly' guy.
- Odd Friendship: Sort of. With Kijima, one that could be counted as his closest friend.
- Papa Wolf: Try to harm kids in front of Aoyama. I dare you.
- Rings of Death: Blue (Sapphire Jet) Ring
- The Smart Guy: One of two. He at least aspires to be an inventor... though only one came out of it: a Jet Pack. Also pretty good in stealth missions and uses lots of back flips in combat.
- He's also kind of Crazy-Prepared. When he got captured in Episode 8, he just happens to hide a mean of escape, a makeshift bomb, inside his shoes.
- The Sneaky Guy
- Worf Had the Flu: He was horribly owned by Moth Mozoo in episode 8 because they wounded his leg while he protected a woman, but in episde 33, when he fought Rattlesnake Mozoo, he was owning it solo instead. Of course, the latter case involves kids....
Futoshi Kijima/Goggle Yellow | Actor: Sanpei Godai
He is a worker at zoo, though the universe seems to hate him by putting him through lots of embarrassing moments. Hot-Blooded and a fun guy to begin with.
- The Big Guy
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Book Dumb: The rest of the Goggles can help their Kid Sidekick in homeworks, but not Kijima. He's not exactly your best bet for that kinda stuff.
- Butt-Monkey: Yeah, in between getting whacked like a mole by accident, a Mozoo shot at his butt, getting his pants down in a gunshot, getting a draw in that Calvinball situation above (while the rest of the Goggles won) or even debuting the show by falling off the stairs... We could go on forever with Kijima.
- Odd Friendship: Best buds with Aoyama.
- Parental Abandonment: The only member who averts this, as his father is alive and they even get to meet.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Stout Strength: Can singlehandedly push off a huge boulders that required one Mozoo and lots of Mooks to push.
- Weapon of Choice
- Wrestler in All of Us: Lots of grappling moves and throws, but the Atomic Drop on a mook is the best example.
Miki Momozono/Goggle Pink | Actress: Megumi Oogawa
The youngest of the Goggles, she is a star gymnast who also had a part time job as an announcer in the Kourakuen Stadium. Has a special ability to take form of or dressing up as another person in instant.
- Action Girl In Distress: In general, she tends to get picked as a random target for the enemies for her allies to save, but still holds her own. episode 39 has the crowning example.
- Blow You Away: Some of her moves involves summoning winds to blow enemies away, or summoning wind to block the enemy attack.
- The Chick
- Cool Big Sis: Towards her Computer Girl (Akane).
- Crossdresser: Give her a wig and she could pass up as a handsome prince.
- Expy: By the Word of God, she's based on Cutey Honey.
- Image Song: She's probably one of the first character in Super Sentai to receive one, titled Hanasaku Goggle Pink. First sang by someone, then her actress sang her own version.
- First-Name Basis: The only one to be called with her first name, the rest is called by their last names.
- Master of Disguise: All she needs is just spin around, and she could switch costumes at will. Read the Expy entry for reasons why)
- Ms. Fanservice: Always walk around with short pants that reveal her thighs, sometimes makes a cute wink and then, there's that one episode where she disguises herself as a Flamenco Dancer... that's hot.
- Mythology Gag: She quoted Karen Mizuki/Heart Queen after using her hypnosis "Do you want another?". Her one-time mirror usage might also be another one for Peggy Matsuyama/Momoranger.
- Plucky Girl: Got bombed directly, but still gets back up to not worry her friends. Completely trapped in a devil diary that is about to be burnt and her friends can't get her out, yet she gets out anyway.
- Shout-Out: See Master of Disguise.
- The Smurfette Principle
- Weapon of Choice
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She's 16 years old and seems to be living herself like an adult.
Professor Hideki Hongo
Sayuri Yamamoto & Midori Wakagi
Computer Boys & Girls
- Five-Man Band: Likewise, to follow up with the Goggle V:
- The Hero: Tatsuya Ueda (assists Akama)
- The Lancer / The Smart Guy: Makoto Takenaka (assists Kuroda and is the studious one)
- Kid-Appeal Character: Haruo Shimada (assists Aoyama and tends to get in trouble. The Bratty Half-Pint)
- The Big Guy: Daisuke Ooyama (assists Kijima)
- The Chick: Akane Aizawa (assists Miki)
- Kid Sidekick: Every last one of them.
- Mission Control
Dark Science Empire Deathdark
- Big Bad
- Eldritch Abomination: There's a good reason why he kept staying behind the walls to his throne. This is how he actually looked like.
- Go for the Eye: His weak spot is his eye
- Orcus on His Throne: He does NOT leave his throne EVER until Deathtopia gets destroyed.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast
General Death Giller
- Cool Helmet: Skull Helmet
- The Dragon
- The Heavy: Usually he stays at Deathtopia and rarely goes along to the field mission. He goes to field more often when Deathmark returns.
- Master Swordsman: Death Giller's preferred method of combat when it's necessary is good ol' swordsmanship.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Has this mindset near the end of his life. Which is why he demanded that Deathmark do not revive the Monster of the Week so he could pilot it to directly fight Goggle V, especially Goggle Red. That action sealed his fate.
- The Rival: Considered one for Akama.
- Cool Helmet: Motorcyclist helmet
- Dark Chick
- Dark Action Girl
- Eek, a Mouse!!: Subverted. She's all serious, but much like every female, little mouses frighten her, at least until said mouse reveal itself as Mouse Mozoo, then she's calm and demanding again.
- Evil Counterpart: To Miki. Both are their team's Master of Disguise.
- The Heavy: She's the one mostly being deployed on field to oversee Deathdark plans from the beginning.
- Ma'am Shock: A Running Gag is that whenever she's on disguise and interacting with the kids that she'll involve with her plans, one of them will inevitably refer her as 'Aunt', which caused her to get taken aback a bit.
- Taking You with Me: Method of death. And she did take out the lab with her
- Why Am I Ticking?: For her last mission, it turns out Deathmark planted a time bomb on her to explode with the Future Science Lab. And Death Giller was going along with the plan. She takes it well
Professor Iguana & Zadoriya
- Evil Genius: Until Deathmark came along.
- Killed Off for Real: Because You Have Failed Me
- Those Two Bad Guys: Two bumbling, often-arguing subordinates of Deathdark that provided humor from the bad guys' side. They get executed mid-season since their numerous failures did not please Fuhrer Taboo, and with Deathmark's arrival, Deathdark's attacks are going to get more intense and serious.
Grand Marshall Deathmark
- Amazon Brigade: He has two handmaidens alongside him, Bella & Beth.
- Cool Helmet: Pharaoh style.
- Evil Genius: Mostly a planner, but reveals himself as a Genius Bruiser and a dangerous fighter in the last episodes when he takes the frontline, though mostly via his own magic sword, contrasting to Death Giller's normal swordfighting.
- Knight of Cerebus: Once he made his entrance, Deathdark's strategies becomes more serious when compared to Iguana and Zazoriya's goofiness.
- Orcus on His Throne: Until the last episode, he's always in Deathtopia and dirty work goes to Death Giller and Mazurka.